Today a reader, tomorrow a leader
[html]

The old wind up alarm clock buzzed its little heart out and the Takekuro woman rolled over in her cot and pawed for the little metal curse. She had discovered the trinket on one of the shelves in the upper office of her bookstore. It was an old antique thing that was powered by a crank and a spring, rather than batteries that had long since corroded, or electricity that the Luperci did not yet know how to tame. It had always been an ornamental little thing, so its inner workings were all in good shape, and Orin was astonished when she discovered what it could do. The sound was completely unpleasant to the ears and half of the time gave her a headache, but for some reason, she liked it.

Of course, she had no way of knowing if the hands were counting the proper time, but she was able to figure out where to set the third pointer to make the thing ring in an approximate amount of hours. (This had taken some experimentation, though, and more than once she had been startled awake in the middle of the night by the contraption.) The poor little thing probably did not have long to live, but for now Orin enjoyed it’s daily ticking, and winding it at night.

Her paw swept the table as she felt around for the clock, and soon her fingers brushed the glass face and she toggled off the alarm. Yawning, she sat up in her cot and stretched away the sleep. The cot was not the most comfortable place to sleep but she was likely going to have to wait until spring to salvage a decent bed, or construct one from hide and wool. So for now, it would do. After all, it beat the back alleys and condemned hotels she and Niro sought refuge in when they lived in Florida.

She swung her legs over the edge of the bed and slipped off of the cot. Still foggy from sleep, she moved over to the window and opened the shutters, letting the orange light of the dawn seep into the room and brighten her makeshift office-bedroom. The thick blanket of clouds in the sky mirrored the snow laden ground, and she inhaled the cold morning air, here eyes opening more as the chill brought her to full awareness. Closing the shutters again, she briefly checked her appearance in a cracked wall mirror before going downstairs.

She wished she had a fireplace. Sure, she did not need the extra warmth, her thick winter coat having filled in quite nicely, but it would have been a delightful comfort. She wondered if it would be possible to construct one, though she doubted anyone would undertake the endeavor until Spring. Without missing a beat, Orin coasted to the counter that had once been used for transactions and grabbed a purple knit shawl that had been draped over it and threw it over her shoulders – it was more of a creature comfort than anything.

Shawchert should be here soon, and she wanted to be ready. She had cleaned up the best she could the night before and the old bookstore was coming together quite nicely. At some point over the weeks she had salvaged a modest desk and a couple chairs from another store and had placed them in the middle of the sales floor. She nodded her approval at the set up, then disappeared in the stacks of books to find the material she needed for the day.

5 points
[/html]
[html]

OOC: Big Grin

Shawchert had gotten up before dawn, it had always been in his routine since he’d first been exiled from his birth-pack, it was the only way he could survive. His day was to be spent with Orin, reading. She was going to help him better his skill at it, he had little passion for it when he’d grown up but Orin seemed to have brought a light he never thought he had. He was glad he had to walk as it wore his sleepiness away, as he went to the small town that they laid claim. It wasn’t too far of a walk for him, and he always enjoyed the scenery as he moved through the forest out into the open valley to where the town was hidden in more brush. He found his way through the streets, to where Orin lived. It was fitting for her as he knew she loved to read and it had once been a book store. He found the right building, knowing it was rather close to Bangle’s who had quite a distinct house, and he knocked on her door, waiting politely. Looking around, the snow that lay on the ground bothered him little, as he was use to it, but it always made everything so foreign and strange, like it was never what it had been before.

<style type="text/css">
.Shawfreebeez b {font-weight:bold; color:#a39675; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #ffffff; }
.Shawfreebeez-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#cbbe87; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #d9d0b4; text-align:center;}
.Shawfreebeez p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.Shawfreebeez {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#ffffff; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... eebeez.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #cbbe87; padding: 155px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#cbbe87; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #d9d0b4; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.Shawfreebeez-border1 {width:502px; border:1px solid #ffffff; margin:0 auto;}
.Shawfreebeez-line1 {width:470px; border-bottom:1px solid #f0efe9; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>

[/html]
[html]

OOC Have to rush out, so no time to edit. Hope it's ok! WC 426

In her frenzy to prepare for Shawchert’s arrival, Orin had overstocked! Her arms were full of books wedged between the crook of her arm and her chin, and she was trying to maintain balance while tiptoed, straining to reach a book up on the top shelf when the knock came. It startled her and she jumped, then swayed off balance. “Oh no!” She cried as she tipped, but it was too late, and she was soon on the floor in a pile of pages. She sat up, dismayed at the mess, but quickly shimmied out from under the pile and ran to the door, swinging it wide.

“Hi!” She cried exuberantly into Shawchert’s face, a little too loud for their close proximity. She was a bit disheveled from the fall, and the purple shawl was in disarray around her shoulders. One dainty had tossed a couple of her pink locks out of her face, and then she did one of her signature Orin moves and surged forward, throwing her arms around Shawchert’s shoulders in a tight greeting. “You don’t have to knock, you know. You’re always welcome.”

With that, she stepped back and made a sweeping motion with her hand. “Come in before the cold does!” Though it seemed like the cold had already made it in. There was no heat source in her bookstore, so a cool winter chill was always present, but Orin barely noticed.

Her eyes flicked to the empty writing desk and she felt a pang of panic as she remembered that she was not ready. “Oh my gosh!” She muttered as she moved away from the threshold, leaving Shawchert to close the door. She hurried across the floor to the stacks and disappeared in the shelves again. “I’m sorry, I’m not totally ready yet. I feel terrible. I was collecting books, and I got carried away, and that’s when you knocked.” She returned carrying a few tomes, a few looking a little more untidy after the fall. She stacked them onto the desk, then returned to retrieve more.

“I have an idea, but I wasn’t completely sure what level you’re at, so I thought I’d just cover all bases so you can show me.” She came back and dropped a Shakespeare compilation on the desk, then looked at Shawchert with a mixture of passion and dread for being unprepared. “Have you eaten? Do you want to first? Sometimes it’s easier to learn with a full stomach. Or harder, because it can make you tired. Depends on you, I guess.” She giggled.

<style type="text/css">
.orin-a01 b{font-weight:bold; color:#293412; letter-spacing:1px; }
.orin-a01 p{text-indent:25px; padding:0px 10px 10px 15px; margin:0px;}
.orin-a01{width:400px; background-color:#8F9674; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/orintable.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 255px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#3D3F29; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC:432 OOC: <3

He didn’t have to wait long though after he did knock he heard a loud crashing, he was about to open the door when Orin came out and greeted him with her usual exuberance, she gave him a hug, which he was getting use to, and was looking forward to everyday now.

My apologies, I am just use to doing it for polite reasons.

He said, feeling foolish, though he was always the one who had to be polite in his own way. He moved in as she told him not to let the cold in, though as he did, he felt little to no change, and saw the poor woman did not yet have a fireplace. He felt bad, and was about to suggest something but she suddenly cried out, which startled Shaw a little. He watched her hurry away as he closed the door. It was much cleaner now, and it didn’t smell of skunk anymore. Orin had done well with the place.

Don’t worry about it, do you need any help?

He asked moving to where she’d headed, ready to move out of her way if she came running through again. She did come through, but not so quickly so he kept out of her way keeping quiet as she spoke. Smiling at her unpreparedness, he had to admit the woman was cute when she was slightly flustered. He waited for her to finish and calm a bit before he answered any of her questions.

Well half prepared is better than not so much. As to what I know, I can read notes, letters and stuff like that, I have read a book or two but they haven’t been… well as big as that.

He pointed to the book that she’d just sat down and was starting to wonder what he had gotten himself into.

I know I can’t read really big words, and I’m afraid my own spelling is rather bad…

He had to blush at that because he felt it was something that should be easy to know and master, though he didn’t know too many who could even write let alone spell.

Food would be nice, I don’t think I have anything to contribute to though.

The thought of her feeding him AND teaching him did make him feel uneasy as he had nothing to offer her. He could have food if he had known, but he didn’t so it made him feel bad thinking about taking food from her, but in the back of his head he was telling himself he can return her deeds.

<style type="text/css">
.Shawfreebeez b {font-weight:bold; color:#a39675; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #ffffff; }
.Shawfreebeez-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#cbbe87; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #d9d0b4; text-align:center;}
.Shawfreebeez p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.Shawfreebeez {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#ffffff; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... eebeez.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #cbbe87; padding: 155px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#cbbe87; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #d9d0b4; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.Shawfreebeez-border1 {width:502px; border:1px solid #ffffff; margin:0 auto;}
.Shawfreebeez-line1 {width:470px; border-bottom:1px solid #f0efe9; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
#00+

[/html]
[html]

WC 596

A hand fluttered to her chin and she nodded thoughtfully as Shawchert told her about the extent of his current skills. She hummed gently in acknowledgment. “Okay, well you've already had a good start, so that's good! It's better than having to start fresh, right? Not that it would be a problem if we did.” She smiled encouragingly, then her eyes flicked to the large volume she had set on the table.

“Oh, don't worry about that. We won't be jumping into that right away, and once we do you don't have to read it all at once. It's full of short stories... Well, plays, really. And those are easy to read.” She flipped the book open to a random page. “See? Since it's a script and not a book, it's mostly just a few words a line, and it's all space out. I do have an ulterior motive, though,” she confessed. “I'm hoping to get you to like them so we can use one of them as a pack performance.” She grinned pridefully. “But it's written in a very, very old English dialect. It's not really beginner stuff. But this one has one page of original text, one page of translations, so it's good for learning.” She turned her gaze back to Shawchert and wondered if she had already bored him yet. He seemed to be listening attentively, though. She did not know if he was just feigning interest for her sake or what, but it was enough to ease her worries for a moment.

“Okay, something to eat...” She nodded firmly and pulled a chair out from the desk. “Make yourself comfortable!” She crooned as she spun around and disappeared into the back room. There was no door in the archway that led from the main floor to the old stockroom, and she could be seen rummaging around in a couple boxes.

“I don't keep too much on hand, usually, but what with winter here and all I thought it couldn't hurt. And in this back room where it's so cold it pretty much stays good for a while. I got a few things from Bangle, haven't tried them out yet.” Orin disappeared behind the wall, what sounded like a container crashed to the floor, and then the woman appeared again, bustling through the archway with a serving tray in hand. The meal she had was basic but very exotic compared to the usual raw meat Orin was used to consuming.

She used the edge of the tray to scoot a couple books out of the way – one clattered to the ground – and quickly grabbed the knife. “Don't have any plates, sorry. Gotta save up to get some from Bangle.” On the tray was a half loaf of sourdough bread and some kind of white, odoriferous cheese that was mottled with blue mold. She began slicing the food, and gave Shawchert a sidelong glance. “I know, it doesn't look too good, right? But he assured me that this is how it's supposed to look. I guess it keeps it from going bad longer, too.” She placed a slice of cheese onto bread and set it on tray close to Shawchert, before taking a piece for herself, though she hesitated to eat it.

“I guess you're really supposed to drink wine with it, but I don't think we'd be very productive then,” she giggled. “Although they do say all the best writers were drunks. Oh well, I don't have any anyway.”

<style type="text/css">
.orin-a01{width:400px; background-color:#8F9674; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/orintable.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 255px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#3D3F29; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

WC: 391 OOC: MOLDY CHEESE!!!

He was paying attention, not because he was trying to be nice, but because he really did want to understand more. To be the alpha in a pack like this, he figured it was good to have an idea of much of the arts as he could.

It is much better than not knowing.

He agreed to her, as she continued speaking after, she opened the book and explained that it was “easy” reading, and he looked at the words then looked at her incredulous, he barely knew what those words were, they had to have been in a different language! She explained why she had it out and he smiled, about to speak again, but waited as she continued to explain, so it was OLDER engish? Well he was happy to hear that there would be something to explain the gibberish that Nuki had shown him. He had an open mind and would surely think on it.

I think that would be a good idea, I may have to leaf through it first to see what I think, but if these were made for plays in the first place, then I don’t see any reason not to use them.

He said, patting the book. She went in to get them food to eat and he sat looking at the words in the Shakespeare book she was showing him, not really paying attention to her, though he was trying to read the words he didn’t know even though he had no understanding for them. Then she scooted the books away with a plate full of… was that really food? He could see the mold on the cheese, and he looked up at Orin incredulous!

You trust bangle with information like this?

He asked, then she mentioned wine, though he knew that it could be quite potent, he was never one to drink too much of the stuff. He watched as she put the bread and cheese together, and he couldn’t help but sniff it before gingerly taking it up.

I may have to kill Bangle if he kills us with this stuff

He said trying to stall himself from eating it, maybe if he didn’t look at it? The mold wouldn’t be so much to him, he ate raw meat after all, looking away from the sandwich he took a bite.

<style type="text/css">
.shaw_flute .ooc {font-weight:normal; text-align:center; font-size:11px; padding:4px; color:#000000}
.shaw_flute .ic {font-weight:normal; text-align:left; font-size:11px; padding:8px; color:#ad8f42}
.shaw_flute b {font-weight:bold; color:#a66bb9; letter-spacing:1px; }
.shaw_flute {margin:0 auto; width:386px; background-color:#fdf589; background-image:url(http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/3093/shawbot.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 0px 0px 240px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#916e5e; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOCSorry for slow reply. LOL Clearly I was distracted by out plotness.
WC 543

Gingerly, she tested a bite of the bread and cheese too. The cheese was sharp and bit back, but it wasn't entirely unpleasant. It was a new experience, that was for sue. The bread itself was slightly sour, and all around it made for an interesting snack. She giggled softly as she watched Shawchert reluctantly take a bite of his piece. “So what do you think? Is it a death sentence for Bangle? Hanging or pyre?”

Her apprehension was gone as she took another bite and then quickly downed the rest of the snack. Just one slice of each was enough to hold her over for now, so she cut a couple more slices for Shawchert and set them between them so he would know he was welcomed to have more if he liked it enough.

She moved away from Shawchert and collected the books that she had accidentally pushed onto the floor, setting them in a neat stack upon the table. As she waited for him to have his fill she gathered the supplies they would need and lined them up in front of them. Sifting through the books, she grabbed one book with a wide cover. It was one she had shown Shawchert before, some publication on the science and biology of wolves as the humans had known and studied them. “I think maybe you would like to start with this,” she told him as she set the book down in front of him. “It's not a classic or a fantasy novel or anything, but it's pretty interesting. Some of the information is actually still accurate when it comes to our Lupus forms. Gives some interesting insights to our kind before the virus, you know? We weren't nearly spread out like we are now, and races... 'species'... never mixed in the wild. If you were a tundra wolf, you were a tundra wolf, and you probably didn't even know any other kind of wolf. It was written for adolescents, so it might be a good start for you. It's not too crammed with scientific mumbo jumbo but it is captivating. And there's pictures!” She grinned as she held the book up, open to a random page of a pack of wolves walking through a stream.

She set the book back down and motioned to the paper. “Okay, but we have to start with the boring stuff. Will you write down the alphabet so I know you know it all?”

As she talked, she slipped off behind the former sales counter again and grabbed a newer looking journal and pen for herself. “Hey, I didn't mean to lure you here with ulterior motives or anything, but can I ask you a favor? I was talking to Skye a little while ago and... and well, she said that I could keep the pack's history if I wanted. So I'm going to start a journal just for Cercatori D'Arte. Maybe we can go back and forth, you write a little bit, I'll help you with anything you can't read, and then you give me your personal account of the pack's founding?” She grinned innocently and clutched the journal and pen hopefully as she slipped back over to the desk.

<style>
.orinflamingos p {margin:0px 0px 10px 0px; padding:0px 10px 0px 10px; text-indent:25px; }
.orinflamingos b {color:#E27196; font-size:12px;}
.orinflamingos {font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#7E93AC; word-spacing:1px; line-height:12px; width:480px; background-color:#E1E7EE; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; outline:1px solid #6D85A1; line-height:15px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... /orin2.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:fixed; padding-bottom:230px; padding-top:5px; text-align:justify; }
</style>[/html]
[html]
Out of Character

OOC: Rawr

In Character
Shawchert took a tentative bite, and cringed as he did it, it was a funny look but as he tasted it… it wasn’t so bad, but he’d always learned mold was something to stay away… and well it wasn’t his taste, so he had to set the rest down, though he did like the taste of the bread. He picked a slice up without the cheese and started eating as he watched Orin pick up the books.

I suppose if I live he can live.

He said in a joking manner. She showed him the one he’d seen before, and he smiled, that was a good place to start in the least. Then she told him to write out his alphabet… really? He put on an equivalent of a pouty face. but he did as he was told, his letters were scratchy at best, mostly because he didn’t write much at all. And as he was writing he heard her talking about historian and making a journal and him writing a little bit, and telling of the packs founding. He wanted to do one thing at a time, it was hard enough to concentrate on the alphabet let alone think about some kind of pack history… there. Finished he looked up to see her came back from over the desk. He smiled at her,

I would be happy to help. There’s not really much to it honestly but I’ll still help, it would be important.

Shawchert said happily knowing that this would be much better than the alphabet.

<style>
.shawflute p {padding:0px 20px 10px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.shawflute b {color:#3d2c2c;}
.shawflute-b {width:401px; border:1px solid #99706e; margin:0px auto;}
.shawflute-header {font-family:georgia, serif; color:#3d2c2c; text-shadow:#3d2c2c 0px 0px 4px; float: right; margin:5px; text-transform:uppercase; font-size:15px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.shawflute-ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.shawflute {background-color:#f6f7e9; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #DDE6CF; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#27080d; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:14px; width:399px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b05ff72264.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 180px 0px; }
</style>
Table by Shannon B

[/html]
[html]

OOC If you don't want to relay the entire founding you can just say he tells her. LOL That would be a little hard. WC 339

She chuckled softly, “Okay, and what, if you don't live you'll come back and haunt him to death?” She chuckled, clearly having no belief in ghosts at the moment. But you could almost guarantee that if she were outside on a dark, misty night, Orin would suddenly believe in spooks.

She moved around behind him and peered over his shoulder once he was done copying down the alphabet. Everything looked correct. All of the basic letters were there, just a little messy. It was a good foundation to work from. His skill just needed to be practiced and refined. No problem.

“Good job,” she praised as she moved to the other side of the desk and took a seat. “You're a little shaky but we expected that. If you tried to write a letter right now it might be a little hard to read so we'll work on refining your letters a little bit, but that pretty much just happens naturally as you work.”

Her eyes turned to the pages in her own hand and she sat straight, her pen at the ready. “In your own words, can you give me an account of what inspired you to found Cercatori d'Arte, and how it came about?” Her pen was already against the page and writing, priming the space she was going to write it in and adding the calendar date and Shawchert's full name. “Oh, wait. First, can I record your age and birth date here too?”

She was multitasking. Her page was already set up and waiting for his reply, so while he thought or spoke she flipped through one of the books she brought for Shawchert to study from. Finding a page she liked, she left it open to that page and during a quiet moment pointed to it and said, “And when you're done with my question, can you transcribe this passage from here to here? Let me know if there are any words, letters, or punctuation you don't understand.”

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Out of Character

WC: 344 +3 OOC: I didn’t know what book but I wanted to get this all done, so I just posted, just make something up, Smile

In Character

His sarcastic joke was brought around to him and he coughed back a laugh, he looked her way and grinned

You better believe it! Threatening my welfare with moldy cheese… worst way to die.

He said winking at her, though he doubt she saw it as she was busy with her books. He looked at her as she looked over his writing. She commented on his work and he shrugged. He knew he wasn’t all that good, but that couldn’t be helped. He had little time to practice with his own time being taken up playing the flute and working with wood. She asked him to re account for the founding of the pack.

My age? Uh, I’m three, and my birthday is January 14.

He said, he didn’t really know the year he was born in, but voicing it out was strange to him. This was not something he normally voiced out to much, but he did and that was that. It was for Cercatori after all.

Ah well that’s easy; the day I came to Nova Scotia I actually met up with Skye. We had talked for a little while and then she mentioned something about a pack, littered with art basically… well not in her words but that was what I imagined. Well after that, I promised I would make that happen. I gave her a date, and a month later… after I gathered up anyone who wanted to join we went to where we would be established and made our mark on the border tree.

He said, shrugging. He knew it wasn’t a horribly fascinating beginning to a pack… but it was a beginning after all. He then looked at the book he set in front of him. His eyes went back and forth through the book…they paused a few times. He looked at her and pointed at the word he didn’t understand. He wasn’t sure what some of them meant. He didn’t have the biggest vocabulary in the world but he sure as heck didn’t have the smallest either.

<style>
.shawflute p {padding:0px 20px 10px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.shawflute b {color:#3d2c2c;}
.shawflute-b {width:401px; border:1px solid #99706e; margin:0px auto;}
.shawflute-header {font-family:georgia, serif; color:#3d2c2c; text-shadow:#3d2c2c 0px 0px 4px; float: right; margin:5px; text-transform:uppercase; font-size:15px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.shawflute-ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.shawflute {background-color:#f6f7e9; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #DDE6CF; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#27080d; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:14px; width:399px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b05ff72264.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 180px 0px; }
</style>
Table by Shannon B

[/html]