[AW] I Tried My Best
[html]
Hunting had always been a favorite pastime of Slade’s, and today was no different. It was morning, with the sun already up but not quite at its highest point, and life was stirring all around. Slade had been awake for a long while by now, of course, and it was because of this that he found himself spying on a tangled group of bush roots. He was certain that there must have been some mouse underneath, hiding. He would wait as long as he needed to in order to catch that pesky little rodent. Would it fill him up? No. Was it really worth crouching, in the chilly morning air, for at least ten minutes? No. But it was something for him to do, as he knew that he was unlikely to find others around at this very moment. Cercatori d’Arte’s territory was large, and most Luperci would likely be in their houses or not hunting. Well, let them be, because Slade wasn’t going to start the conversation.

Lost in thoughts, the young coyote hardly noticed when his long-stalked prey scampered out of the bush, right between his paws, under his belly, and away out of sight. Slade growled. If he couldn’t catch a mouse, what good was he? Right, not much. Scowling, he shook his head and started wandering, keenly aware of his snarling stomach. He sniffed around in search of other prey, but all he could pick up were a couple of squirrels. They hardly filled him, but they were enough to shut his stomach up, and that was good enough.

By noon, Slade stumbled upon a semi-familiar place: Thornbury. He had seen the town just a bit on his tour of the territory, but this was the first time that he had found it on his own. Well, he lived in Cercatori d’Arte, and wasn’t about to pass up the opportunity to do a bit of territory exploring. Maybe he could find himself someone who would be willing to teach him how to write or write for him while he was at it. Then he scolded himself for letting his mind wander again, and continued snuffing around.

Most of the houses he found were made of stone, a few of wood which seemed to be rotting, but what really stood out to him were the vines that covered nearly all of the ones he saw. Shaking his head, his never-still mind began to envision himself as an older coyote, a famed explorer, who had just stumbled upon the ruins of an ancient, sacred place. Somewhere around here was a gem, a priceless thing that others would kill to find, and it was now up to the coyote to find it.

Slade’s imagination did him more harm than good when it came to activities other than hunting; he quickly found his head stuck in a thorn bush because his imaginary self saw something glinting between the barbs. He didn’t try struggling, having a feeling that it would do more harm than good, and instead could only stand there like an idiot.

Slade, he grumbled to himself, you fail.
[/html]
[html]
OOC here: Vee to the rescue? Big Grin

Something was up. She heard loud growling under her tree, and then it abruptly stopped. Sitting up in the tree, she looked down and saw tracks going into Thornbury, Deciding to follow, she climbed out of the tree and looked for whatever made the tracks.
Bingo. A coyote, by the looks of it, thought she couldn't tell all that well, had its head stuck in a thorn bush. Here... Valinta whispered. Let me help get you out.. Deftly picking at the thornbush, pulling away branches carefully, she cut her fingertips quite a bit, but moved them to the point that the coyote could get out, and he wasn't injured. She hoped, at least.
Are you okay? she asked.

Valinta Speaks

<style type="text/css">
.Valinta b {font-weight:normal; color:#d38870; letter-spacing:.5px; }
.Valintaooc {text-align:left;font-style:italic; padding: 5px 5px 5px 5px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px;color:#fff;}
.Valinta p {text-indent:25px; padding:1px 10px 1px 10px; margin:0px;}
.Valinta {margin:0 auto; width:440px; background-color:#000; background-image:url(http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy46 ... ntatab.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:3px double #fff; padding: 270px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Lucida Sans Unicode, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#fff; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;word-spacing:.5px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
OOC: Thanks for joining!
I'm assuming that Valinta's in Optime form; I know that your profile says otherwise, but I don't think that Secui have fingers. Tongue

The scent of an unfamiliar female suddenly reached Slade’s nose, and he willed himself not to sigh. As if being stuck in a thorn bush wasn’t already humiliating enough on its own, he now faced the issue of being stuck in the prickles in front of someone else. He supposed it was better than standing there all day, and it likely wouldn’t have been a while before someone came along, but it didn’t make the situation any less embarrassing. He acknowledged her words with a small nod, saying nothing.

He felt her picking at the spikes for a bit, and when she stopped he assumed it was safe to exit. Slowly, he stepped back until he was completely out of the bush. Turning around, Slade found himself faced with the female who had spoken earlier. She asked him if he was all right, and he fought for a moment to find his voice before saying, "Yeah. Um… yeah. I’m fine. Just, you know, got stuck in a bush...." He finished with a chuckle that was hardly intended to be humorous.

Trying to gulp down his embarrassment, Slade dipped his head and turned his eyes away. "So, ah, thanks for saving me... from the bush...." He had never had much luck speaking with strangers, let alone the fact that this “stranger” was someone from his own pack, and he had a very good feeling that he hadn’t made a good first impression. He had a habit of mentally beating himself up whenever he made a major blunder, and he really hoped that it wasn’t showing through the fact that he was unintentionally grumbling nonsense.

He hardly had the chance to think that it would be a smart idea for him to introduce himself, at least with a name… though maybe the female would be able to figure out that his name was Slade because it was the only sensible word that could be distinguished from his babbling.
[/html]
[html]
OOC here: XD whoops moment for me, haha. I'm gonna change it to assume Optime unless she's angry.

You're welcome.

Valinta smiled at the coyote as he mumbled incoherently. I'm glad to have helped you. she added. Leaning backwards, she looked at him. He smelled like he was in the pack, so she'd assume he was a friend. She did that with most people, but on the bright side, this would have no repurcussions, as he actually could be a friend.
I'm Valinta. she said softly. What's your name? she asked. She was trying to be calm, because he looked so huggable all confused and slightly awkward. Not too mention that being on four legs did that to most everyone. She vaguely remebered someone telling her that not all people liked getting spontaneously hugged, so she tried to refrain, and cast a good impression.

Valinta Speaks

<style type="text/css">
.Valintaooc {text-align:left;font-style:italic; padding: 5px 5px 5px 5px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:10px;color:#fff;}
.Valinta {margin:0 auto; width:440px; background-color:#000; background-image:url(http://i776.photobucket.com/albums/yy46 ... ntatab.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:3px double #fff; padding: 270px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Lucida Sans Unicode, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#fff; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;word-spacing:.5px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
OOC: Heh, that's fine; we're all human. (Right?)

It was fortunate for Slade’s sanity that the female - who introduced herself as Valinta - didn’t wrap her arms around him, as he usually didn’t like being touched. He was by no means snobbish or conceited, but simply felt very awkward when someone else was grabbing him. Besides, he had just met Valinta, and he would have been scared to a degree if she had decided to take that course. There was no telling what would happen after that, but it would likely result in a bitten arm on Valinta’s part.

Slade realized he was mumbling, which he promptly stopped. He was making a fantastic first impression on Valinta. Wondering why he even cared what she thought of him and quickly figuring that it was because she was a packmate, he cleared his throat and introduced himself as asked. "My name’s Slade." Usually after saying that, he would ask the other who they were, and hopefully have them be the conversation starters. In this case, however, he already knew the name of the other wolf. Tilting his head slightly, he tried to think of some way to start chatting. He could start conversations with those he knew in a snap, but with those unfamiliar to him, it took a moment to think of a topic. He wasn’t about to get up and leave, passing up the opportunity to meet a packmate, but he wasn’t going to start rambling about how his days in the pack had been so far, either.

After his mind failed him, Slade turned to his imagination and let a question slip: "So, what talent do you have?" Immediately he regretted saying it, as the wording might make it seem as if he were saying Valinta had no talent. Inwardly screaming at himself for being stupid - and fortunately managing to keep it inward - he added, "Just a question. I mean, this is a pack about art."
[/html]
[html]
OOC here: Well some people seem to be above human...

Valinta nodded when he spoke his name. Slade. It was a nice name, and seemed to fit him. After a long pause, he asked her a question. Had she been more mature, Valinta would've thought the conversation stilted, but as it was, she thought it to be more encompassing, just moments where they could be silent and have it be a compainionable silence. Of course, Valinta was unbelievably naive, but she still thought it that.
I'm a dancer. she said after a moments pause. What's yours? she asked fairly quickly.

Valinta Speaks

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

WC: 382

Slade found an answer to Valinta's question hard to come by. He was admitted into the pack as a writer, but could he truly call himself a writer if he did not have the ability to pick up a pen? He wondered if she knew how to write; it was an ability he wanted to learn. Maybe she could be his teacher.

His mind was getting away from him again, and he blinked to clear his thoughts. "I'm kinda a writer," he replied, allowing himself to open up and be less stiff, "but I don't know how to write. I like to make up stories in my head, so I guess that counts; it was a story that got me stuck in the bush in the first place." He finished the sentence slowly, realizing that he had been incredibly naïve. "Does that ever happen to you?" he asked quickly, hoping to change the subject. "I mean, I don't know much about dancing, but do you ever get so immersed in it that it's hard to pay attention to anything else?"

Again, Slade began to smack himself mentally. The way he had worded his question, he had suggested that Valinta was ignorant or clumsy; those words described himself much better, and as he knew this well he found himself shaking his head. "Um, I didn't really mean to put it that way," he apologized quickly. "Ah, about that and what I asked before, about your talent; sorry if I offended you." He looked at the ground, bracing himself for all sorts of name-calling.

"Slade, you're naïve. Slade, you're a fool. Slade, how can you put words together to make a story if you can't even spit out a sentence without sounding offensive?" So maybe he was a pessimist, especially when it came to making social mistakes, but it was just difficult to talk with someone in his own pack. Slade realized that he really wasn't used to interacting with others so often and so openly, so when he tried he messed up completely. He made a mental note to try to socialize more, even if it meant coughing out a simple question like "How's the weather?" to a stranger. It was a lot better than being in the situation he was currently in.

<style>
.op-tbl .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.op-tbl p {padding:2px 0px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.op-tbl b {color:#d7d5e3; letter-spacing:-.2px; }
.op-tbl {background-color:#38427f; background-image:url(http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/p ... adetab.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:400px; text-align:justify; }
.op-tbl-border {width:400px; border:1px solid #ffffff; margin:0 auto;}
.op-tbl .inner { height:300px; overflow:auto; margin:10px 10px 170px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/25pct_white.png); border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:20px;-moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px;}
</style>[/html]