A Needed Distraction
[html]

Here we go! Smile SoSuWriMo 369

Despite the cold air, Nayati was sitting outside his hut, Onawa sprawled out by his side seemingly asleep. The Gadui Kanati was beginning to be anxious about the question he would soon ask Liliana. After talking to Dawali he had felt much better about moving forward with his intentions, but once he found out that Lili would soon be going through the master ceremony herself, he had held off in asking her. Nayati knew how important it was, having just gone through it himself, and the last thing he wanted to do was the steal the thunder of her big moment. The ceremony had happened yesterday, but he did not want to ask her right after she had gone through it either. Nervous energy was beginning to build up in him to somewhat dangerous levels though. He was beginning to doubt himself and if now was the right time to ask at all. Quite simply, the man was thinking too much on it and needed something to distract his mind from focusing on Liliana and the life-changing proposal he wished to make to her.

What he usually did to channel nervous energy was to go out and hunt, but unfortunately he had already been out and had been unable to track any potential prey down. The hunter had not found a single fresh track or marking anywhere nearby. It was so unusual for that to happen and he was certain some mischievous spirits were just trying to make him go mad with waiting and having no way to re-channel his thoughts. The Utina huffed out a sigh as he leaned back against the outer wall of his hut. "You are a mess," Onawa said, her large eyes still closed. "Yes, I know that," he said gruffly, arms crossing over his painted chest. "If you have any suggestions, I would be more than happy to hear them." His pale gaze looked over her lounging form, but she only shrugged her shoulders. "Some Guide you are today." The puma's lips curled in smirk at the sound of annoyance in his voice. Nayati glowered in silence, praying with sarcasm that some distraction would come falling out of the sky into his lap.

<style type="text/css">
.jay-feather b {font-weight:bold; color:#11377B; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.jay-feather-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:arial, sans-serif; font-size:10px; text-align:center; }
.jay-feather p {text-indent:20px; padding:3px 10px; margin:0px;}
.jay-feather {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#b4a196; background-image:url(http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... _table.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #88502f; padding: 255px 0px 10px 0px; font-family:arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#FFFFFF; line-height:13px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Yay! I'll have Nian bring the game, if you don't mind. Then I can explain the rules ICly. Sorry this is so long, I sort of got carried away.

Now that Nian's den was completely constructed, he found himself searching for something to do with his time. Scouting was starting to become a little boring, considering that he now knew most of the territory near the village and had not encountered anything exciting in a while. Heck, there wasn't even any color in the landscape to keep him occupied, except for the occasional bird-feather on the ground or a spare clump of berries that were too bitter for the tribe to harvest. His first idea to entertain himself had been to hunt for bird feathers to make hair decorations like many AniWayans had. This last for about a day, after which he both got bored and realized that he looked ridiculous with brightly colored feathers in his mane. Eventually, the winter season had turned him to introspection, which inevitably led his thoughts back to his family, now scattered across America...

Nian had always found that the best way to combat homesickness was to confront it head-on, and that is exactly what he had done with his own emotions. Remembering a board game he used to play as a kid, he had sought ought materials for a game board, scratched out a pattern on it, and collected a pile of colored stones in a small bag for playing pieces. They used to call it Fox and Rabbits in his old pack, but as he had played games against himself he found himself renaming the game pieces to fit his new home: Wolves and Wapiti was the name he had come up with. He liked the new name - mostly because the alliteration rolled nicely off the tongue. Games of solitaire, however, became boring after too long, and now he struck out into the village in search of someone to play it with. There were plenty of clever wolves in the tribe - for example, his new friend J'adore was someone Nian thought to be very intelligent - so he figured that it would be easy to get someone who enjoyed a good game of strategy.

He spotted a white wolf decorated with blue feathers and recognized him as the tribe's new Master Hunter - the Gadui Kanati. Nian hesitated for a moment, uncertain whether he should approach someone of such high rank uninvited, but he reasoned that the AniWaya had been very welcoming so far... Why wouldn't they be now? He changed direction to walk over to Nayati, bowing his head in greeting. "Good morning," he said, giving him a friendly smile. "Who are you talking to?"

<style type="text/css">
.nian-b02 b {font-weight:bold; color:#bd581b; letter-spacing:1px; }
.nian-b02 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.nian-b02 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.nian-b02 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#dbae77; background-image:url(http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g37 ... blebg1.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 300px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#772d06; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

I don't mind at all! And no worries! ^^ Oh, and actually Onawa is almost always fully visible, but we can just say that Nayati was kind of blocking Nian's view of her! SoSuWriMo 289

Nayati knew that Onawa was intentionally teasing him for being such a worrywart. It was a problem of his to over-think things and to do so so spectacularly that he got himself all worked up for no good reason whatsoever. Even though the man knew this about himself, and knew that was exactly what was going on right now, it was difficult to escape the cycle once it had been started and he was in the middle of it. That was why, when the world cooperated, he went on a hunt to stop his thinking that way. Hunting was the one thing he never over-thought. It was instinctual. He knew he was good at it and he did not have to worry. When it came to hunting, everything just flowed, easy as a river's course. Now that that option had not proved viable today, he was stuck. Stuck, and admittedly rather miserable and grouchy.

However, when someone approached, the Gadui Kanati did his best to push down his negativity and turned to face the man with a muted but friendly smile. "Good morning to you as well." Nayati had seen the man around the village, but they had not formally met as of yet. "Oh, just talking to my lazy excuse for a Spirit Guide," he said, motioning to the side where Onawa was laying contentedly. She did nothing to acknowledge this small poke at her pride, knowing full well that the Utina did not mean it. Nayati moved to stand, so he did not seem so lazy himself. "I am Nayati Utina, it is good to meet you." Being a Master now, he should probably make more of an effort to meet all the members of the tribe.

<style type="text/css">
.jay-feather-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:arial, sans-serif; font-size:10px; text-align:center; }
.jay-feather {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#b4a196; background-image:url(http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee19 ... _table.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #88502f; padding: 255px 0px 10px 0px; font-family:arial, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#FFFFFF; line-height:13px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Okay. Smile

Now that Nian could see the puma stretched out behind Nayati, he felt rather silly for asking his question, but he quickly got over the emotion when he realized that she was a spirit guide. Although Nayati was very casual around her, Nian still felt a sense of awe when encountering such a being, and he nodded respectfully to her. "I see. Apologies, then; I didn't see you..." Not really understanding how spirit guides functioned, he had no idea if she could hear him or not, but he thought it would be polite to apologise anyway.

Turning back to Nayati, he gave him a friendly smile. "I'm Nian Redtree, the new scout. I'm pleased to meet you, Nayati... Since there's no Master Scout, I think I might actually answer to you, since you're the Gadui Kanati. I'm supposed to learn how to help the hunters out." He hoped that he wasn't being too awkward or formal... Actually, at the same time he worried that he might not be acting with enough formality, considering that he was about to ask the Master to play a game with him. He held up his game board so that Nayati could see it. "I was just looking for someone to play a game with me. Do you know anyone who might be interested?"

<style type="text/css">
.nian-b02 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px 5px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.nian-b02 {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#dbae77; background-image:url(http://i1098.photobucket.com/albums/g37 ... blebg1.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 300px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#772d06; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

SoSuWriMo 445

As Nian addressed the Spirit Guide, one of her large, grayish blue eyes opened and looked at the warmly hued wolf. Onawa was not a pompous creature and had grown accustomed to the canines here not treating her exactly in the same manner that she had been used to back in the Great Tribe, so when one actually addressed her, she was quite impressed. Her elegant head rose up and now both eyes were opened and focused on the male. "Apology accepted." Her voice had a timeless and ethereal quality to it. "If Nayati appears somewhat off, do not pay it any mind. His thoughts are running faster than his reason right now." The Gadui Kanati shot the Spirit puma an annoyed look, but she merely grinned and returned to her previous position, eyes closing once again. She just loved to tease him when he got into one of his ruts and it of course only served to work the man up further. He did not wish to make his new acquaintance uncomfortable (or more uncomfortable) so he worked hard to keep his cool composure.

All negative thoughts seemed to fly away from him though as the other AniWayan introduced himself and gave his profession. Nayati's father was a scout in the Great Tribe, and so he had a great fondness and appreciation for the profession. "Yes, I suppose you would be answering to me. You're in luck, I actually know quite a bit about scouting. It is the profession path my father has. I am glad to know that you are around then, Nian, and I will be willing to help you in whatever way I can." As long as Nayati had been here, he did not think they had had a scout. It would be extremely helpful, both to him as a hunter and to AniWaya as a whole, to finally have someone watching the lands. Even though he was of a Master rank now, the Utina man did not want his fellow tribesmembers to be intimidated by him or to try and treat him differently. He had not taken the post for praises after all, but to help his tribe.

As Nian held the board up, Nayati looked at it with curiosity. He had never seen anything quite like it. When it was revealed that the other man was looking for someone to play a game with, he saw the perfect opportunity to distract himself and to get to know his fellow AniWayan better. "Well, I do not think I know the game, but I would be interested to learn it and to play with you," he said with a friendly smile.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
o-o-o
|\|/|
o-o-o
|/|\|
o-o-o-o-o-o-o
|\ | /|\ | /|\ | /|
o-o-o-o-o-o-o
|/ | \|/ | \|/ | \|
o-o-o-o-o-o-o
|\|/|
o-o-o
|/|\|
o-o-o
[/html]
[html]

Nian nodded to the spirit guide and smiled, sensing that she was not concerned by his slight in not seeing her. He wondered what was on Nayati's mind, that he was so drawn into it, but he decided not to ask. It was not exactly polite to pry too deeply into the thoughts of your elders, whether they be literal elders or those of more experience than you, such as was Nayati.

At the hunter's answer, Nian's ears perked up. So, Nayati's father had been a scout! That was a bit of luck, as up until now Nian had been working blindly when it came to learning his skills, with no one to tell him if he was doing his job correctly or not. He grinned excitedly, but bowed his head to show the submission a student would be expected to show to his teacher. "I would greatly appreciate anything you could tell me about the scouting profession, Nayati. I've been doing some things already, trying to learn the territory by heart and using what I discovered to help when I can, but I could really use the advice of someone who knew more of what the job entails."

When Nayati volunteered to learn the game, Nian nodded and sat down, putting the game board on the ground between them. "It's sort of like a hunting game, so it's easy for wolves to pick up," he said, taking out the game pieces and putting them in their places on the board. "We called it Fox and Rabbits in my old pack, but I've been calling it Wolves and Wapiti." He grinned at the name, feeling rather proud of it. The change in name was more than just pleasingly alliterative; it was to him an outward recognition of his new loyalties to the tribe he now called home. Pointing to the pieces illustratively, he began to explain the rules.

"All the pieces have to move along these lines on the board. These two dark colored stones are the wolves. Their goal is to capture the light-colored pieces, the wapiti, before they can hem a wolf in on all sides, blocking him in. The wolves can kill a wapiti by jumping over him, so if there isn't a space behind the wapiti, the wolf can't get him. When the wolves kill enough wapiti so that they can't hem a wolf in anymore, then they win. When the wapiti surround both the wolves so that they can't move, then the wapiti win. Oh, and if the wapiti can totally fill in the square where the wolves are now, then they also win, because they've escaped. Does that make sense?" He looked up at Nayati, looking for a sign of confirmation. He understood the game rules himself, but he was not sure how clearly he had explained them.

<style type="text/css">
.nian-b02 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px 5px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Sorry, this was longer than I intended XD; SoSuWriMo 579

Scouting was a profession Nayati could have easily found himself in. In fact, it was most often that a child took on the profession that one of their parents held. For a little while Nayati had shadowed his father while Ohitekah had been out on scouting missions but eventually he had decided to follow the path of the hunter instead. For one, scouting and hunting were two professions that were quite closely related and the two paths crossed often so it was not such a huge jump to make. Also, being his parents only son at the time, he had felt a great need to help provide more and had felt that hunting was the best way to help his family along. It had turned into his passion and he had never looked back.

Nian seemed quite excited to know that the Gadui Kanati had some familiarity with his profession path and Nayati was equally pleased that he could be of help to the new tribesman. "What you have already done is good--it is important that scouts know the territory intimately. Our professions are actually closely interwoven. Scouts are meant to keep track of what is going on in the lands and when they find a game trail they should inform the hunters and even help the hunters on tracking the game. It is also your duty to help look after the safety of the borders with the warriors and to help deliver messages throughout the tribe." Hopefully this was giving Nian a better idea of his job and Nayati wasn't just repeating things he already knew. "The next time I go on a hunt I you should come with me. I can show you ways to spot a trail that are not always entirely obvious. It would also be good if you gained some proficiency with a bow, which I can teach you also." Honestly, the Utina thought it important for most members of the tribe to have some skill with some sort of weapon or hunting implement, but for a scout it would be good for both hunting and defense if the need arose.

Time for such things would come later though, as he was quite interested to learn of this game that Nian wished to play. When the other male sat, Nayati returned to his own seated position and he looked at the playing board with interest. At the mention that it was a sort of hunting game, the Gadui Kanati was instantly more interested; perhaps he would actually be able to participate in this game with some amount of skill. When Nian explained his new name for the game, Nayati smiled, laughing lightly. "Clever," he said. He himself was not much of a wordsmith, but he appreciated the skill in others. The Utina listened carefully as the game was explained to him, watching was the pieces and the design of the board and how it was to be used were pointed out to him. It was a new sort of game to him, but Nian did a very good job of explaining it.

The hunter nodded his head when he was asked if he understood. "Yes, it makes sense. It seems very interesting and I would be happy to give it a try," he said with a smile. "Who should play which part?" Since it was Nian's game, he felt it only right that he decide who would play the wolves and who the wapiti.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Feel free to copy the board and show me what your move is, so that you don't have to describe the moves in so much detail. Quote'll get you the code.

Nian listened to Nayati's description of the tasks and skills undertaken by a scout, and he thought back on the things he had been doing so far. He had already done some of the things Nayati suggested, but he could certainly use more experience. At the Master Hunter's offer to help him, Nian's ears pricked up excitedly, his attention caught more fully. "I would love to hunt with you sometime. It would be very helpful! The snow here is much deeper than what I'm used to, and, uh... Well, I've never hunted with a bow before, but I'd be really interested in learning that too." Aware that he was babbling a little, Nian bit his tongue and turned his attention back to the game board.

"Normally the wolf would be at a disadvantage, but since I'm using two wolves here instead of one it should be a lot easier." He thought for a moment, then said, "It'll probably be easier if you start with the wolves, because that will probably be more intuitive for you. That way, you only have to think about capturing wapiti and not about the other goals. I'll move first." Taking up third light colored piece from the left, he moved it vertically up a space, then smiled at Nayati. "Okay, your turn."

Pretty table made by Gwendolyn! Edited slightly by me.

[/html]

[html]
o-o-o
|\|/|
o-o-o
|/|\|
o-o-o-o-o-o-o
|\ | /|\ | /|\ | /|
o-o-o-o-o-o-o
|/ | \|/ | \|/ | \|
o-o-o-o-o-o-o
|\|/|
o-o-o
|/|\|
o-o-o
[/html]
[html]

Awesome, thanks ^^ SoSuWriMo 343

Nian wasn't the only one excited at the prospect of having someone to work more closely with. Nayati, while he often enjoyed hunting on his own, also enjoyed working with others and now that he was a Master he felt the need to pass on his knowledge. Aurelè had been a good hunter and he had enjoyed the times they had talked and worked together, but the woman had disappeared from the tribe's lands and he had not seen her in moons now. Ever since the pale woman's departure, he had had no one to work with when it came to hunting. Nian was a scout, not a hunter, but as he had explained they would be working closely despite their profession path difference. "I will be sure to come find you the next time I go out on a hunt then! Yes, winter is not the best season to be teaching and it is more difficult to get around. Have you ever ridden a horse? They are not always the best for scouting but they do make it easier to travel in the snow." Riding would certainly make the other man's job easier for the time being.

The fact that one wolf against all those wapiti would be a huge disadvantage was clear to the Gadui Kanati. If one were to go after a large herd it was foolhardy to go alone. It made much more sense, to him, that there would be more than one wolf, so Nian's addition seemed a smart one from his perspective. It was thoughtful of Nian to allow Nayati to play the part of the wolves in this first game. It would indeed be more intuitive for him. "Okay." He watched as the scout made his first move. It was clear the real action of the game would not start until they each had had a handful of turns, so he simply made a simple move forward with the first wolf piece. "Easy so far," he said with a hint of humor in his deep voice.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]

[html]
o-o-o
|\|/|
o-o-o
|/|\|
o-o-o-o-o-o-o
|\ | /|\ | /|\ | /|
o-o-o-o-o-o-o
|/ | \|/ | \|/ | \|
o-o-o-o-o-o-o