i'm gonna burn this whole world down.
[html]

All welcome for those involved in Conri's new pack. Takes place in CT, then on the border between Moaning Woods and Storm, close to the Unexplored.

___Smoke. Suffocating, strangulating smoke... Anya's eyes opened wide as she sat bold upright in her den. Outside, there was fire. How had she slept so long? It was creeping closer, and for a second, she was frozen in terror and confusion. What had caused this? How far had it spread. No time for thoughts. She was up within moments, and as she shoved the few things that had been out of her bag into it -- a book, and her jacket -- she wondered if anyone else was even alive. Her body moved with the type of strength and agility she'd not dug from the depths of herself since before her mother died. Even the long trek to these lands had not required this type of speed. Her breathing was ragged as she threw her bag over her shoulder, silently grateful for having passed out with all her clothes on. She barely paused to look around. The den was empty. Her body moved. She was out before she realised she was running.

___This fire, it wasn't a game. Life or death. Survival of the fittest.

___She struggled to find her way around flame and falling trees. She fled first towards the Northeast, running clear into her grandmother's grave. Tears in her eyes, she knew she couldn't stay. "I love you, Gran'mama," she whispered, choking on thick black smoke, then ran. Ceres wouldn't have wanted her to burn in order to stay. She ran the other way. There was only water to the East, she knew, meaning she would have to run towards the South or the West. As she ran, she decided she should go West, and changed her direction accordingly. At some point, her breathing became too laboured to withstand the increasingly heavy smoke. She tore off a piece of the bottom of her shirt and held it over her muzzle, filtering the smoke out of the air she needed to survive. Survival, that was what mattered. She was pretty good at that, as it was. She tore through the burning lands as quickly as she could, but 'quick' was a relative term. Everything was relative now. Nothing was stable. Nothing was ever stable.

___In a blur, she wondered if she would be the only one left alive.

[/html]
[html]
Conri had been just outside of the lands when the flames started, the glow in the distance catching his eye. He knew exactly what it was, he could smell it coming in he air. As fast as three legs could carry him, he rushed forward to the lands, ears back and heart thumping in his chest. It was only when he reached the borders that the panicked cries from their Alpha reached his ears. This was happening all to fast. Pushing aside his own fear for their future, Conri began in his own chorus of howls and coyote-like yips. Someone might hear him, hopefully. It was a call directing them to head southwest, a small area that he had come across in his travels back to Bleeding Soul's, which should potentially lead them to safety.

Conri didn't follow his own direction though, instead he barreled straight in to the burning lands of their home. He had to make sure Naniko made it out of the lands safely, even if it meant burning alive himself. He raced for the den, barking out loudly as he neared. "Naniko! We have to get out of here!"

[/html]
[html]

you calm the storms, and you give me rest... [ooc]

[bic] ...you hold me in your hands, you won't let me fall.

Naniko stood outside, looking toward the smoke. She was in compete shock...barely able to even process what was going on. She knew that she would be okay, but she was worried about the rest of the pack. Where was Laruku? Maybe he hadn't made it. She didn't like to think that way, though; she wanted to believe that everyone from the pack would make it to a safe place very quickly.

The healer already had all of her essentials, the herbs...but there was so much more that she wanted to take. She wasn't strong enough to take everything else, though...but she grabbed a few old books that Physe had given her, shoving them into the pack along with everything else.

She knew that she had to do something. She couldn't just flee...she felt obligated to look for those who might be hurt. She had this feeling, this awful premonition that there was someone out there that needed her help. Conri came running toward her and she shook her head at his words. "Go. I will meet you there, I promise. I just need to check to make sure that there isn't anyone that's hurt...you understand, don't you? I can't just leave. It'll take an hour. If I don't meet you before then, then come looking for me. But please don't follow. I don't want you to get hurt." She hoped that he would understand. She reached for him, giving him a quick kiss before she turned back, running as fast as she could away from home.

[/html]
[html]

Figured I'd reply to this now? If not, it can be deleted and I'll reply whenever I've supposed to. This thread and the 'merge' thread are Anya's beginning in using the name 'Anka' so... sorry if the names get slippery. Slight powerplay; Amber, lemme know if it's not okay.

___The fire was consuming so much. In some places, she heard others call out to each other. There was nobody for her to call out to, and nobody to call out to her. Suddenly, something occurred to the girl, and she sped back towards the fire-consumed Clouded Tears. She needed to get Jasper. He might not be okay. What if he was trapped, or too scared to run? She couldn't let her little brother burn. Vaguely, she laughed. Not so long ago, she wouldn't have been willing to call him that, or refer to any of the de le Poer monsters as family. But something like forgiveness had settled over her. It wasn't Jasper's fault any more than it was hers, that Ahren was twisted and sick, or that Damian had been before him. It wasn't either of their faults, the deeds he'd done, and so he was family. He was the same as her, in many ways. Trapped in a name and a bloodline that went against him at every turn. He might need her. Should God exist, may he rest Jasper's soul, because Ahren wouldn't save Jasper any more than he'd save her.

___She was nearly there when she ran into a male. Her eyes widened. It seemed that someone had just left, and she blinked and backed up a second. Someone else. Alive? Apparently, he was still upright. She spoke before she could think, everything swirling, and her voice was muffled against the cloth she held over her muzzle. "You're alive!" She paused, knowing that wasn't what she'd meant to say. "I thought I was the only one," she added, then looked at CT, which was rapidly crashing down. Even if she'd known where Jasper's den was, there was no chance of finding it, let alone finding Jasper alive if he were still there. "I came back for my brother," she said quickly. "Seems, whether alive or dead, he'd be gone by now though." Her voice, as muffled as it was, quavered slightly in fear. "He'll be all right, he's a big boy. We'd best run." All these words were coming out full speed, barely a pause between them, and suddenly, she realised that, care about this male or not, they had to go. Now. And she wouldn't leave anyone behind.

___She grabbed his arm, pulling at him. "I know it's not polite, but wildfires don't wait for manners. I'm Anka. What's your name? Are you hurt?" She hoped not, because wildfires didn't wait for injuries, either, and she wasn't sure she could carry him. It didn't even occur to her that she'd just used her mother's name for her, from when she was younger, before she had become Anya because it was 'more normal' than Anka had been. "Anyone else with you?" She pulled his arm, and they ran. She waited for answers, but they mostly weren't relevant at all. Escape was important. They were escaping. Besides that, everything else was small talk... Maybe to try to put him at ease, or maybe just to make her feel less alone. Whatever the reason, it too was irrelevant.

___The world wouldn't stop. So neither could she.

[/html]
[html]
style="border-left:1px #808080 solid; border-top:0px #808080 solid; border-right:1px #808080 solid; border-bottom:1px #808080 solid;"

bgcolor="#170226">

we launch ourselves into the bright::in character

As she legged it down from Storm, to the south, as Pilot had instructed, the smoke grew worse and the flames drew nearer and Nocht began to doubt the veracity of his instructions. She was coming nearer the flames now, not further away as he'd instructed, but as she travelled down the incline that would take her to Moaning Woods she began to hear the calls and barks of others and her anxiety lessened a little. Even still, the smoke tore at her eyes and cinders began to alight on her coat, burning tiny patches of fur, adding its own stench to the potent cocktail of smells and sometimes she drew so near the flames she imagined she could feel the heat billowing off them. In her mouth the bow was bulky and unwieldy, but she daren't leave it behind. It took her long enough to find it, even with help from the black coated wolf with eyes the colour of gold, and she had been so pleased with it once she had finally gotten to fire it. She'd never gotten the other items on her list, the one that she had reeled off to Valentine that day, her book and the clothes, but she'd managed to re-string the bow and fishing rod and then had had to leave the rod behind anyway, with the map of Bleeding Souls she had picked up on a whim as well. She suspected the map would do her no good now anyway.

As she reached the border of Storm, finally, she veered away to the west, following the voices she heard in the distance, feet pelting the ground. She was slowed by her injury, but even so three legs were faster than two and she skidded to a halt as she ran right by two figures in the darkness of the shadows and the smoke. She knew she should keep moving, but some guilty part of her, the part that had ran from Storm with nary a second thought for Phoenix or anyone else who might have been stuck kept her there for as long as she might dare. "You a'right?" She shouted out, muffled by the bow held between her jaws, but otherwise comprehensible. She stood poised and keen to keep running for the hills, but waiting for a response.

[/html]
[html]
He turned from Naniko and went on his way, however reluctant that he was to do so. He had to keep telling himself, had to keep repeating it. Trust her. Let her go and trust her. Even as much as he did so while he was running, he felt like a fool, full of fear and dread. The smoke ahead of him clouded his path for the most part, which was why he didn't see the dark female. He was almost right on top of her when he realized she was there, stumbling to a quick stop to avoid colliding with her. He could barely hear her words through the cloth covering her mouth and the roar of the fire, but what he could make out, he responded to. "I came back for my mate but she ran back to check for injured. She'll find your brother if he's still in there." He shouted over the roar of flames, only to be cut off by more speech when she grabbed him.

His instinct to get the hell out of the lands kicked in immediately as she started running, doing the same to keep up with her. "Name is Conri and I'm fine. My mate should be right behind us as soon as she checks for others." Said with false confidence. He'd lost everyone once before, when he had been kidnapped, the thought that it could happen again plagued his mind. As they ran another voice called out, from just ahead of them, and as they neared he immediately recognized her. "Nocht! We're fine. We should head southwest toward the mountain and get out of here!" He called out again, hoping that she would hear him and be able to follow.

[/html]
[html]

Sorry for the slacking, I managed a pretty nice head injury Sunday (yay, combat boot vs. cranial structure) and have been avoiding anything with more than 0.000000000001% brain CPU usage per day. =/ Anka isn't going to try to find Nocht, because Nocht showed up after Anka and Conri were already at the meeting, supposedly, so... yeah. Slight powerplay for speed purposes, will change if needed. <3 Fuck, this is long... WC: 1224.

___The fire was raging, and she was running low on energy. Her pelt caught fire as she dodged some falling branches, watching them tumble to the ground and be consumed by the flames that had thrown them from the tree from jump, only to be smacked by other branches that couldn't wait for her to move. She couldn't move fast enough, and there wasn't enough time to stop and put herself out, or she'd be consumed by the fire as quickly as those branches. By the time she heard the other call out, they were nearly past her, and she knew they couldn't turn back. With all the strength she had remaining, she repeated Conri's words with her muzzle uncovered, to be assured that the girl heard them. "Follow us! Southwest! Keep moving southwest! Toward the mountain!" And then they continued, and she sincerely hoped the girl could follow, and would. She didn't want to have to worry that she didn't make it out.

___She could see that they were close; it wouldn't take too much longer to get out of here and to the clearing. That was good, because they didn't have much longer left. Giving Conri a rough tug, her brain released a last-ditch attempt at flooding her with all the adrenaline she had left to use, and she charged forward, bringing her male companion, who was still much a stranger to her, with her. Once they were in the clear, she ran a good while longer, to assure that they were away. They were partially up the mountain before she stopped to breathe, blinking. The air was still smoky, and her pelt was burnt and covered in ash and soot, but she could feel the ease in her breathing, and as she tried to inhale, she choked slightly. Her lungs had taken some damage, but she'd be okay. She checked her bag, which seemed to have only gotten slightly scorched, not badly burnt. She was glad. Crimson eyes tracing the outlines of the blistered lands once called Bleeding Souls, something occured to her.

___When she'd come back here, she'd been just a girl. Despite her life and her troubles and her trauma, she'd been so young, just wanting somewhere to belong, someone to want her. As her eyes combed over all the blackened trees, all the civilisation once destroyed, rebuilt and, by nature or beast unknown, destroyed once more... she realised that she'd just found her home. Bleeding Souls, it was just a place. It had been the home of Ceres Sadira, and that of Aiji Sadira, her mother. It had been the home of Damian de le Poer, and of Ahren de le Poer, her father. Her mind flashed to just before the fire, before she'd drifted to sleep... she'd been reading. Her mother's journal. All she had left of the female who had given her all and been left with nothing.

___"This is it. I left Chimera. In fact, I left the lands altogether. It was starting to show, the truth of what happened, of what he did to me. I wish I could have stayed... I couldn't bring myself to say goodbye to Misery, and now I regret it; she was so good to me. I didn't even bid my mother farewell; another strike against me in her books, I'm sure. This isn't the first time I've done that to her. I wish I could have gone to her, perhaps even stayed in Clouded Tears... but Ahren would not have allowed me to live. And now... it's not just me, on the line.

___Even as they grow, I can feel the life within me, and I suppose I've given up resenting that they are as much Ahren's children as they are mine. It's irrelevant. He wouldn't want these puppies; hell, that makes two of us that has gotten something they didn't want from this entire fuss. He got his random, loveless fuck. Now, I will have my children, and make a family. Someday, we will go back... I want my mother to meet my children.

___I think there's three, or maybe four... I've got some ideas for names. I thought I might name the females, if there are a couple, Anyanka and Halfrek. Two names I love, from a novel I found in old human city. A few male names I like, I think I like the name Liam, and I rather like Chase as well. I suppose I'd name them for myself as well... though I don't feel it's right to deny that their father contributed to their making. I just wouldn't feel right giving some his name and some mine... I suppose I could combine the names. The children could be 'de Sadira'... a hybrid between his name and mine. Yes... yes, I do believe I like that."

___She smiled as she thought of those words, and then it occurred to her. When she'd introduced herself to Conri... she'd called herself Anka. A name she'd not used since... since she was a pup. She had wanted so badly to be 'normal,' and Anka was such a strange name. Anya had been a better name, a more 'normal' one. She laughed softly. Well, changing the name hadn't made her any more normal, and she knew it'd been hard for her mother to stop calling her Anka. Aiji had loved the way it sounded... but her daughter had hated it. Now, the crimson-eyed girl sighed, wishing she'd been just a little better to her mother.

___Only moments had passed, but her decision had only taken that long. No longer would she go by the name that hadn't been meant to belong to her. She was not Anya, for as she knew, Anya was a name for a normal girl, and she was not normal. For what it was worth, her mother had been a fallen princess, and her father a dark knight. And together, they had made something extraordinary... life. Her life. And as miserable as it may have been at times, it was hers, and she had to move on and live it.

___Tears sparked in her eyes. Anka. Her mother's name for her. Now, it would be the world's name for her. Anka de Sadira, the name her mother would have wanted for her. Halfrek was the sister she had never had, and she had two brothers, Liam and Chase, neither of which had lived to see this world. But she had, and she was lucky, if for nothing else, then for that. She glanced at Conri as she caught her breath, still just a moment beyond when the thoughts had crossed her mind. Then she looked at the burnt remains of Bleeding Souls, and she laughed. Not hard, but hard enough to reawaken the cough of smoke and soot in her lungs. Through the harsh ash threatening her breathing, she smiled down on the burning hellfire of her family's home, and raised a hand quietly.

___This was goodbye. A song came to mind. "So long, my luckless romance. My back is turned on you. I should have known you'd bring me heartache..." With tears and a smile lingering harmoniously on her face, she turned to Conri and nodded. "Let's go," she uttered quietly, and in her mind, she finished the song.

___"Almost lovers always do."

[/html]