[P] Something Useful for a Change
[html]
OOC: So I guess you can just deadify the other one that we had?

Slade wanted to do something right. He had been acting immature as of late, throwing rocks at houses and getting his head stuck in bushes. Everything he had said that he could do or be had proven to be a lie thus far. Today, on a chilly winter evening, he was determined to prove himself useful. This would be a little difficult, seeing as he was trying not to let his imagination get away from him, but he wasn't about to get demoted to an omega. He was going to act like a hunter without seeing himself as one. He had a feeling that he was going to fail, but it was another one of those things that was worth a shot.

The fact that there was no grass to stalk through helped and didn't help at the same time. Slade found himself cracking a layer of ice atop the snow-covered ground with every pawstep. Scowling, he knew that he would have no luck hunting by stalking, so he switched techniques. Sniffing the air, he tried to pick up the scent of a rodent, bird, anything he could find. After what felt like eternity, he picked up the smell of a mouse. Pivoting his ears in the direction of the smell, he realized that the mouse was just off to his right. Casually he began to walk forward, and when the distance was shorter, he bolted.

Slade scared the mouse out of its hiding spot in a bush, and with a squeak it began to scurry off. The hunting coyote gave chase, and for a moment he almost let his mind get away with him, nearly starting to see the mouse as a huge deer which he had to bring down alone. He pounced, springing forward swiftly and burying the mouse beneath his paws. Quickly he bent down and killed it with a swift bite to the neck. Hunting was a great pastime.

Picking up the mouse in his jaws, Slade suddenly realized that he was not hungry. Figuring that someone else might want his catch, he set out and started moving towards Thornbury. He began to wonder how a Luperci in Optime form would go about eating a mouse.
[/html]
[html]

Smile

Shawchert was sitting in the front of his own house, it was the time of day where he could relax, he was thinking about going back over to see Sky again, but figured he should get a little carving done before he did though, so he was sitting down with his knife in one hand and a small chunk of wood in the other, letting his fingers work, that was when he saw a form pass him by and he looked up to see Slade. He hadn’t seen him for some time so he perked up a bit.

Slade!

He called out a greeting to the young man and waved to him. He didn’t see the small thing that was in the young man’s mouth though and he thought… what if he’d heard about all that happened in the last week or so? He wasn’t sure he would like to hear it from him, he was one of the newest members yet the rumors spread no matter who was where.

Would you like a visit? I can make us something to drink.

He said, he had boiled a big bucket of snow to get any toxins out and it had cooled overnight in his hut, thankfully for his fire pit the place was nice and warm so the water wouldn’t melt at all.

<style type="text/css">
.shaw_flute .ooc {font-weight:normal; text-align:center; font-size:11px; padding:4px; color:#000000}
.shaw_flute .ic {font-weight:normal; text-align:left; font-size:11px; padding:8px; color:#ad8f42}
.shaw_flute b {font-weight:bold; color:#a66bb9; letter-spacing:1px; }
.shaw_flute {margin:0 auto; width:386px; background-color:#fdf589; background-image:url(http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/3093/shawbot.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 0px 0px 240px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#916e5e; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC: Short post is short.

So maybe Slade wasn't the best hunter. He pricked his ears as the familiar voice of Shawchert Menue called to him, and he suddenly realized just how scrawny his catch was. Of course he had been able to track it down quickly; it was winter, when the scarce prey around wasn't eating well either. Quickly he dug out a little hole in the snow and shoved the mouse in; maybe if he was hungry later he could go back to eat it. For now, he was being invited to have a little drink, and though he wasn't parched he might as well have a little.

"Hey, Shawchert," he greeted, surprising himself by how casual he was speaking to the pack's leader. "And sure, I'll have a little something." Slade walked over and sat down near the Luperci, finding his eyes drawn to the piece of wood in Shawchert's hand. A train of thoughts followed, and not for the first time Slade began to wonder what sorts of things hands could accomplish. His eyes still fixed on the block, he asked, "What'cha making there?"

<style>
.op-tbl .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.op-tbl p {padding:2px 0px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.op-tbl b {color:#d7d5e3; letter-spacing:-.2px; }
.op-tbl {background-color:#38427f; background-image:url(http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/p ... adetab.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:400px; text-align:justify; }
.op-tbl-border {width:400px; border:1px solid #ffffff; margin:0 auto;}
.op-tbl .inner { height:300px; overflow:auto; margin:10px 10px 170px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/25pct_white.png); border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:20px;-moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
Out of Character

+3

In Character

He watched as his newer member, and soon becoming friend did something, but he was a bit too far for him to see, before trotting over to Shawchert. He was happy that the young coyote seemed at home enough to be casually talking to Shawchert. Shaw liked that oddly enough, he liked a friendly atmosphere, but he remembered that this was his pack and much of it were his rules, and if something went wrong he would go into leader mode, but right now, he felt a normal member, for who was it that made the pack a whole? Shawchert smiled at the greeting.

Ok I’ll grab up a little something for you!

He said he put his work down, seeing the coyote man look at it, and soon he stepped into his house for a little bit to grab an old bowl and dip it in the bucket he held the water in. he knew that Slade could not change so it would be proper to give him something he could lap. Outside again he set the bowl down and picked up his work, in time to hear Slade asked what he was making.

Well right now I’m not sure, shaping this one is hard, might make it into a figurine of a tree.

He chuckled at the irony of turning a piece of wood into a fake tree. He did like irony in such things though. It made the world seem like… a nicer place.

Or even something different. Sometimes I let my imagination go wild. So how have you been? Glad to hear you are not making any more trouble.

He said with a friendly smile, it was made as a joke more than anything else and he hoped the coyote had enough humor to see it. He was sure the man would, he could see that he had the mischievous glint in his eyes, a troublemaker but not purposefully, and it kept Shawchert on his feet at least. As long as no one was injured Shawchert would keep trying to help poor Slade fit into the pack a little more.

<style>
.shawflute p {padding:0px 20px 10px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.shawflute b {color:#3d2c2c;}
.shawflute-b {width:401px; border:1px solid #99706e; margin:0px auto;}
.shawflute-header {font-family:georgia, serif; color:#3d2c2c; text-shadow:#3d2c2c 0px 0px 4px; float: right; margin:5px; text-transform:uppercase; font-size:15px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.shawflute-ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.shawflute {background-color:#f6f7e9; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #DDE6CF; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#27080d; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:14px; width:399px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b05ff72264.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 180px 0px; }
</style>
Table by Shannon B

[/html]
[html]

WC: 345

Slade nodded gratefully for the water, and lapped at it as he listened to Shawchert explain. He felt smaller than usual bending down to drink in front of a Luperci, but his mind was quickly drawn away from the thoughts when he heard "I let my imagination go wild". He nearly choked on the liquid and spoke, his reply serving as his own comment and an answer. "Same here!" he exclaimed. "I mean, I've managed not to get into any trouble because of it lately, but still, I'm glad I'm not alone."

With that said, he began to ramble, hardly glancing at the wood chunk. Slade had gotten a bit too used to talking to Shawchert, it seemed, as his voice got considerably faster and words began to blend together. "I guess I should have known that I wasn't alone, with a pack revolved around wolves with good imaginations, but hey, it doesn't mean that they also let their minds get away with them; sometimes I used to wonder if I was alone here, but apparently I'm not, and that's great, and..." He trailed off, glancing quickly at Shawchert and looking away sheepishly. "Erm, sorry. I get like that sometimes."

Shuffling his paws, Slade tried to change the subject. "Yeah, so, no trouble. Life in the pack is great." He paused, trying to think of a conversation starter. "How'd this pack come to be, anyway? It's a cool idea, with the whole art-orientation theme and all." He was completely unaware that he was talking to one of the pack's founders; if he had known this prior to asking, he would have been more formal and not started to ramble in the first place. It was only an innocent question, if not nosy, but he figured that it would be nice to hear the stories of the past of his pack, so maybe he could make up a legend or two about some long dead hero; of course, he had no idea how new the pack was, but was certainly going to be asking more questions.

<style>
.op-tbl {background-color:#38427f; background-image:url(http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/p ... adetab.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:400px; text-align:justify; }
.op-tbl .inner { height:300px; overflow:auto; margin:10px 10px 170px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/25pct_white.png); border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:20px;-moz-border-radius:20px; -webkit-border-radius:20px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
Out of Character

+3 OOC:!!!

In Character

You would be surprised at how many in this pack have imaginations. That’s what makes us unique. We use that imagination to make a better world. So you surely aren’t alone, you just have to learn how to control that imagination.

Shaw answered happily. He knew that the young ones could let their imaginations get too wild, and he’d witnessed it in Slade, but he could see that the man was making an improvement. Shaw had been like Slade once in his lifetime, but as he grew older he also grew calmer, but he never let that spark die, or he feared he would not be fully who he was. He smiled at the man’s apology for rambling on. Shaw lifted the hand that held his knife and shook his head.

No worries friend, I am always a good ear to talk to.

And indeed he was, he was willing to listen to problems and try to fix them in any way. Sure Shaw had made quite a few mistakes in his lifetime, but he’s learned to either avoid it the next time or do whatever else was an option, even though he wished sometimes the things he did had not happened, he knew he would not be the wolf he was today. He smiled at the young man now, ah the beginning of the pack.

Well, it wasn’t long ago actually. I have been in the area since September, and that is when the idea of the pack became. Skye and I had met… Skye is the co leader, and she gave me the idea. I have never thought about being a leader but when she mentioned a pack full of performers, actually joking, it hit me. That was when I started recruiting. About a month later we came here, We created the border tree, and have been here since. Three months, it’s not as good as the packs that have been around for ten years in other areas, but we do not plan to leave any time soon.

He said, then stopped waiting to hear Slade’s reaction. He wasn’t sure what it would be but he was sure it wasn’t what he would expect it to actually be. He was going to have to accept it for all it was though. With Slade’s imagination, he was sure he had something much more different and heroic in mind.

<style>
.shawflute-header {font-family:georgia, serif; color:#3d2c2c; text-shadow:#3d2c2c 0px 0px 4px; float: right; margin:5px; text-transform:uppercase; font-size:15px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.shawflute-ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.shawflute {background-color:#f6f7e9; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #DDE6CF; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#27080d; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:14px; width:399px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/b05ff72264.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 180px 0px; }
</style>
Table by Shannon B

[/html]
[html]
Thankful for not having Shawchert scold him for mindless babbling, Slade listened in silence as the experienced man explained the story of Cercatori d'Arte. Slade had to admit that he was a little disappointed to find out that the pack had been founded so recently; it didn't leave much room for making up heroic legends without everyone knowing that they all came from his imagination. He paused for a moment before saying anything, thinking of a good way to reply without showing his disappointment; he found the story interesting, no doubt, but it was very restrictive when it came to imaginary characters.

"Interesting," he said after a while. Brightening as a new idea came to his mind, he added, "Have there been any big heroics so far? Any great folklore about the pack?" History was fascinating, but the world in the mind was limitless.

Regardless of what Shawchert's answer would be, Slade made a note to be even more outgoing and try to meet Skye and maybe some of the original recruits. The more stories he could get, the better. His hopes soared more when the thought occurred to him that, even if there were no current myths about the pack, he was an early member and might get the privilege of witnessing some huge events later on. Maybe there would be some big pack war, and one of the members would rise as the victorious hero. There was always room for his imagination.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]
Out of Character

+3 !

In Character

He could see the slight disappointment in his coyote’s face. yes he wished his pack had formed on more exciting terms but they were a pack of artists, there was nothing to say they couldn’t spice it up, but Shaw was no story teller. He had to think a bit about what “heroics” he could think of and he shrugged a little.
I had saved Orin Takekuro from a tree, she’s one of our writers, I had found her in a tree about to get her poor foot ripped off. I managed to save her foot in the least. Orin would know about anything else, she’s writing a whole history of Cercatori actually.

He said, he couldn’t think of anything that the pack really did that was heroic though he remembered the bon fire night. That has been a very good day indeed, but it was more of a celebration than anything else, and now he was planning something more, since he had missed the New Year celebration he had been planning as so many things had happened.

I am sure in the future there will be more, but we will not be the ones to go to war either. I hope to keep peace with all the packs around here, and heroics might help if someone is in need of saving.

Shaw said, his knife was making the trunk of what the tree would look like now. His hands moved deftly, and quickly as he looked down at his project. It was like building his pack. He thought, first you had to start with an idea, and then you had to work it out. Not everything came to plan but in the end… if it was directed right, things would be the best for everyone. He couldn’t help but smile at his analogy between a chunk of wood and a pack.

<style>
</style>
Table by Shannon B

[/html]
[html]

OOC: Congratulations on winning SoSuWriMo!

Slade pricked his ears up at Shawchert's story, not so much because of the tree incident but because he mentioned that Orin was a writer. He would have to seek her out; if she, like most other canines he saw, was a Luperci, maybe she would be able to teach him a thing or two about writing. He had a feeling that he would never be able to as a Lupus, but he could always learn some of the basics and improve later.

While Slade had been thinking about wars, as soon as Shawchert mentioned it again he regretted even thinking of it. Fighting was not all guts and glory, it was hardship, and he should have known better. The fact that his stories involving war always ended up with some hero prevailing probably didn't help this, but again, his imagination was quick to get away with him. Peace was always better than war, anyhow; fewer deaths and injuries occurred.

Seeing as there really wasn't much else to talk about when it came to history, Slade turned his attention back to the piece of wood in Shawchert's hand, his eyes widening as he saw that a trunk was already there. "You work fast," he commented. "I guess that's one of many advantages to having hands, yes?" The question was more of a spur-of-the-moment one, but as soon as he said it he realized that it was a pretty good one. He was nothing but a humble coyote, and there were so many advantages to having hands.

He had a feeling that he would end up asking a lot more questions before he left Shawchert's side. Already the conversation had changed from pack history to hands; who knew where it would end up by the end? Knowing the way he usually was, Slade had a feeling that the final topic would have absolutely nothing to do with the pack.

<style type="text/css">
.sladefreebe01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#bacdd6; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #000f3d; }
.sladefreebe01-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000f3d; text-align:center;}
.sladefreebe01 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.sladefreebe01 {margin:0 auto; width:460px; background-color:#527d96; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... slade1.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #bacdd6; padding: 180px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000f3d; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.sladefreebe01-border1 {width:462px; border:2px solid #527d96; margin:0 auto;}
.sladefreebe01-line1 {width:430px; border-bottom:1px dotted #527d96; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
#3+
[/html]
[html]
Out of Character

+3 OOC: Sorry about the wait.

In Character

Shawchert left the man to his own thoughts as he worked out the item in his hands a few ideas popped up in his head and he’d almost forgotten the other had been sitting next to him watching him. He was working on the branches that were actually slightly hard he had to use a pick he’d had next to him on the steps to actually pull the wood apart. But it was coming along nicely. He was brought back to reality as Slade spoke.

Yes it does help to have hands. I don’t think I could do so well if I just had my paws to work with. It would be rather hard to hold a knife.

Shawchert chuckled looking over at the coyote sitting next to him. Was the man thinking of becoming a Luperci or something? He looked back to his project and spoke again.

Luperci is a very nice thing. I have been one my whole life but… though there are no huge disadvantages of being a Luperci, you also can’t go back to just being a regular canine.

He said, matter of factly. He was not going to be changing the coyote, he had no intentions to. He would not pass on the virus unless there was any need. He could see there was no need to actually change anyone into a Luperci for any reason other than want or accident… or pure spite. He wasn’t one to change anyone from who they were born to be. he would suggest someone who might do it, but he was not going to be the one. There were plenty of Luperci now that it was so rare to see anyone of pure canine blood. They would be infected if they had one Luperci parent… in fact by the time the child was born… both would be Luperci. Shawchert forced his mind back on his project. Those were scientific thoughts… he was no scientist.

<style>
</style>
Table by Shannon B

[/html]
[html]

OOC: That was hardly a wait; what are you talking about? XD
Wrap this up after your post?

Slade tilted his head slightly at Shawchert's response. "Of course I can go back to being a coyote, right? Can't Luperci shift into their Lupus form?" He somewhat understood what the wolf was saying, that he could never be just a coyote again, but the real significance evaded him. He found the topic of becoming a Luperci intriguing; as the leader himself said, there were no huge disadvantages.

"Besides," Slade added after a short time, "I can't really be a writer without hands. Like you said yourself; I don't think I could be a true writer if I only have paws to work with. It would be rather hard to hold a pen." Feeling that his argument was complete, he took a few laps at the water and turned his attention back to the carving Shawchert was making.

Slade was running out of conversation ideas. Besides, the water wasn't very warm anymore and he was starting to get cold. He stood up and kicked some snow out of his hind legs. "Well," he said after a brief pause, "I suppose that's all I have to say for once. Thanks for everything, Shawchert, but I should probably get going; there are lands to explore, adventures to be had, and endless stories to dream up." He dipped his head quickly. "Hope that tree comes along nicely. If you get hungry, there's a mouse buried in the snow near a tree somewhere."

Realizing once again that Shawchert likely had no intention of eating a scrawny mouse when he had hands to cook with, Slade snapped his jaws shut and turned away, starting to walk away from the house of Shawchert Menue. Congratulating himself for actually carrying on a conversation, even if it was mostly pointless, Slade wagged his tail and trotted into the snow-covered forest. It was always nice to do something useful for a change.

<style type="text/css">
.sladefreebe01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#bacdd6; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #000f3d; }
.sladefreebe01-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000f3d; text-align:center;}
.sladefreebe01 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.sladefreebe01 {margin:0 auto; width:460px; background-color:#527d96; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... slade1.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #bacdd6; padding: 180px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000f3d; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.sladefreebe01-border1 {width:462px; border:2px solid #527d96; margin:0 auto;}
.sladefreebe01-line1 {width:430px; border-bottom:1px dotted #527d96; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
#03+
[/html]
[html]
Out of Character

WC: 320 OOC: Yay all done

In Character

You can shift yes, but your true blood, the old blood, it will never be the same, your children and their children and the children after that will all be Luperci. I’m afraid the old blood will be gone for good soon.

Shawchert explained to the coyote, and he’d seen it, with the travel he had done. There had been very few like Slade, who were able to go under the radar of the infection that spread through all Luperci.

But if that is your wish I am sure somebody will grant it.

Shawchert said with a finality, he wasn’t fighting against being a Luperci, in every way it was the best thing that happened, in Shaw’s opinion, but there were always two sides to a story, there had to have been some type of disadvantage. Could not have good without the bad or the bad without the good. That was what Shawchert believed in. he knew the bad here was that the old blood, the blood that was not infected with the virus the humans set upon the word, would die soon. Everything would become infected soon enough.

Thank you, it was good to have your company, now try to remember some of those adventures you are having. I’m sure that there are many pups around that would love to hear of them.

Shawchert answered as he watched to coyote walk away. Shaw couldn’t help but smile at the backside of the coyote… he was a good man, if only he would grow into his mind, though there was nothing wrong with pretending things were real, and he didn’t want anyone to lose their childhood any sooner than Shaw had himself. He wouldn’t complain, the young man was if anything good for his stories and his conversation, though Shaw felt he might have to put himself to work on teaching him how to catch things slightly bigger than mice.

<style>
</style>
Table by Shannon B

[/html]