Standing on the Edge
[html]

OOC

SSWM: 745 Obnoxious table, haha sorry.

IC

Farore finally arrived in the lands that she believed Nayru might be found in, but as soon as the yearling knew she had found the right area she slowed. Hesitated. The journey had been a long one and the four paws she traveled upon hurt like hell. The young girl had hardly taken any breaks, certainly never more than one night, as she had a lot of distance to cover in as little time as possible. Extracting from her parents the place they had come from had been hard. Mother hadn’t wanted to tell her at all and finally in secret Father had caved, telling the girl not to go there although he knew that was exactly what she had planned. Din and her had left in the middle of the night while the two love birds nested, knowing full well that their parents would continue on further and further away from the lands they had both once loved, as if they still had anything to run from. Yet run away they did, always. Even when Nayru had gotten separated they ran. And then when Din and her had left, they ran still letting their children make their own choices. And eventually Din had turned tail to keep running with them.

“She probably is dead Rore.” “She’s not.” Amethyst eyes stared hard into the fire of her sister’s orange and bitterly they parted. Lose one sister to find another. Maybe find the other one. Yet Farore never let herself feel any doubt as four paws, the front two ebony and the back two ivory, brought her closer and closer to the lands she was conceived in. They all could have been born here, and why Farore believed Nayru might be found there she wasn’t sure. It was an idea though, and it was the only one Farore had. Din knew where she was headed and hopefully one day would join her even if the girl had insisted she wouldn’t, but Farore couldn’t think of that. There had come a point when she could no longer justify wandering the earth with her parents, searching for something she knew they would never find, and perpetually dreaming of a tiny hybrid child that called herself Az. When Farore had left them the dreams of Az vanished and Farore was glad for it, even if she lost both Din and Nayru in one fell swoop.

Alone Farore had spent her first birthday, and she dreamed of Az then, but only once. Waking up frightened and sad Farore forced herself to keep walking that night. Long strides until her body protested so violently she collapsed and fell into another sleep. This time she dreamed only of Nayru and Din, the two of them as children, and strangely she wasn’t in her own dream. Waking up the sorrow still had not passed but at least the fear had and after finding water and food she continued on. One year old and one year wise. What did one year matter when she had spent it wandering aimlessly and continuously thinking of her sister who was indeed probably dead, as Din believed. What child could have survived on her own at four months old? Thinking this Farore realized it had been eight months since she had last seen the pink eyes of the girl, but then they all had been born with pink eyes and Farore’s had darkened in a deep lavender, Din’s brightened into fire and what would Nayru look like now?

Nearly a month after her birthday the unusually tall and slender creature knew she had found the right place because she passed through the burnt lands. New growth was now flourishing in many areas among the charred remains of the wildfire, but the long burnt scars on the ground and the tree trunk remained. Farore had no doubt as she crossed the mountain that she had finally arrived, months later, but at the top of the mountain she stopped. Suppose Nayru wasn’t to be found somewhere down there? Then what? Turn around? Go back? Finding the nomadic family of her’s would be impossible now, and there was no choice but to go down. Yet so weary and worn Farore stayed perched at the peak of the mountain, lingering there like a ghost or an angel staring down at the lands. As if just by being here Nayru would come to her, or if not Nayru someone else. Or something else.

[/html]
[html]

I hope you don't mind that I join! This is my first post with my character, and I didn't think it made sense to start a new open thread in the same place if yours was here. :3

Tired, dark paws ascended the steep slope, slipping in the snow and bleeding as they struck a hidden rock. The she-wolf sucked in her breath harshly through her teeth and lifted her foot to lick at its pad. The taste of blood and charred earth, and she couldn’t help but wonder if this was a premonition for her stay in Nova Scotia. The pessimistic thought made the realist smirk, and without a sound she continued on her uphill trek toward the apex of the mountain range. She had tried to find the shortest section to cross over, but the altitude still made it difficult for her to breathe. Leaping onto a rock and pausing to catch her breath, she could see an expanse of territory beyond. The burned scars of the land receded into shrubbery, and the tangled masses of forests and cities alike sprawled out beyond.

Promising, Tomasa Santillian thought, smiling faintly. It looked like the grass really was greener on the other side.

Keeping her ears pricked (with the tips flopping over as usual) for the sounds of prey, she scampered down a short hill and nearly slid on the slick ground. Surefootedness was an acquired trait, however, and from the time since she first came to the mountain range days ago, she had learned the ins and outs of how to not fall to your death off a ledge. Having all four paws to brace yourself with helped; she had not been in optime form for days.

Very quickly, however, Tommy realized that she was not alone. She could smell another wolf, a young female like herself, in the area. Although she would normally skirt around the stranger and continue on a solitary route, she knew that she had no idea about these lands. Giving the other canine a chance could very well benefit her.

The wolfdog turned and headed toward the scent, leaping up another incline and finally pausing once she found a black and white pelt. She cleared her throat but did not say a word of greeting, instead lowering herself onto her haunches and gauging the other’s reaction.

<style type="text/css">
.tsantil-a02 b {font-weight:bold; color:#412219;}
.tsantil-a02 i {font-weight:italic; color:#412219;}
.tsantil-a02 ooc {padding:0px; font-size:10px;}
.tsantil-a02 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px; font-size:12px;}
.tsantil-a02 {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#fdfeff; background-image:url(http://i51.tinypic.com/15oa4cw.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 460px 0px 24px 0px; font-family:cambria; font-size:12px; color:#60392c; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC

SSWM: 351 Am real glad you replied! Hello and welcome! This is my winning post for SSWM!!!

IC

The time Farore spent alone contemplating her next move seemed short, but when another's approach finally snapped her out of what had become a trancelike state the two toned girl realized with a start the sun was in a very different position than when she had arrived. Amethyst eyes scanned the sky in bewilderment and then quickly moved back to the woman, who was more a stranger than anyone Farore had ever come across before. In comparison with many others her age Farore had lived a sheltered life. While traveling with her sister and parents they had come across a few loners, and once another band of wanders like themselves, but only one canine that was not of predominately wolf. They had skirted larger groups, avoided packs like they were plagues, so her exposure to the different physical forms canines could take was limited. The appearance of the woman before her was very novel.

Her coat color might have been found on another wolf, those that came from the southern regions, but it were her ears that were most interesting. The very tips of them were bent forward and Farore avert her eyes from them after taking them in, in case the other thought that staring was rude. Farore did not consider that her own coat was stranger. It did not occur to her that she had never come across another, aside from her own sisters and father, that possessed the dual colors. That her father had dog ancestors, very far back in his lineage, was not known to her and she never wondered what miracle of nature had blessed her with such a strange appearance.

Bowing her head low to the other her voice came out, low and cool but not overly quiet. "Greetings stranger." She tilted her head, as if to ask all the questions that suddenly came to her. Did the woman come from the lands below? Did she know of Nayru or of Dahlia de Mai? Her eyes moved over the paw, bloody, of the other and then back to her face. "I'm Farore." And she waited.

[/html]
[html]

Yay! And crap post, sorreh. D:

The two-toned stranger finally turned around toward her, and pink-amethyst eyes flashed as they looked Tommy over. They were interesting eyes, as interesting as the sharp contrast of her pelt. Most eye colors in her pack were natural hues, from golden to brown and in some cases greens and greys. Vibrant colors like the other’s were rare to come across, and Tommy met them with a small lift of her brow and the tiniest twitch of her lips in a smile.

The black and white girl greeted her and then offered her name: Farore.

The reddish wolfdog nodded in acknowledgment of the name, and a few moments passed as she licked her sore paw again, cleaning yet more of the dirt and snow from the scratches. She realized after an instant that she should give her own name, and with a slightly sheepish look in her eyes, she opened her mouth to respond.

“My name is Tommy.”

Awkwardly, she hesitated and turned her pale eyes back on the view of the southern territories, everything that lay beyond the mountain range. The question that had been sitting quietly in the back of her mind came out as well, once more softly yet smoothly.

“Do you live down there?” Tommy asked, indicating the expanse of land that was the rest of Nova Scotia. She knew that she could probably figure out how to survive down there herself, but her father had told her stories of countless pack customs, and she didn’t want to make a fatal error. It was best that she find a native to explain the lay of the land to her. “I came from the south—the mainland south, not the peninsula here. I’ve been looking for a new home.” Her eyes narrowed slightly, though not in an unkind way, as she fell silent again and looked at the other young woman.

<style type="text/css">
.tsantil-a02 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px; font-size:12px;}
.tsantil-a02 {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#fdfeff; background-image:url(http://i51.tinypic.com/15oa4cw.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 460px 0px 24px 0px; font-family:cambria; font-size:12px; color:#60392c; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC

You’re post is fine. Pssh. This one is SHORT. Sorry!< BR>

IC

Farore waited for the introduction of the other and it was slow in coming as the hybrid animal tended to her paw. Yet Farore took no offense at the delayed response, nor did she even indicate she noticed. Merely she kept her violet eyes upon the stranger, neither bored nor absorbed in the actions of the others, her patience seemingly limitless. Finally the warm hued lady spoke with a sheepish look and gave herself a title. "Okay Tommy." Her mother would have liked for her to say “Nice to meet you Tommy.” Or “A pleasure to make your acquaintance Tommy.” Yet for all the good manners that the dove of her mother had drilled into her head she rarely found a place for them. The girl wasn’t rude, but she wasn’t over polite although her cool voice was friendly in its own way.

The next question caused her to shake her head almost immediately. No, no, no. She was certainly not from down there. “I’m sorry. I’ve just arrived here myself.” The predominately snow colored creature with the inky stains on her face, paws and tipped tail listened as the other explained. In a knowing way, as if she had a secret joke, Rore smiled a slight smile, her vibrant eyes twinkling as the other woman finished speaking. They were both in search of something, and neither would probably be any help to the other. “I was hoping you’d be able to help me. I’m looking for my sister. I think she may be down there.” She paused, and then spoke again, because there was only one logical thing left to say. “Well, perhaps we should descend this mountain, no?”

[/html]
[html]

Length doesn't matter to me. ^^

Tommy wasn’t the best at speaking with others or offering introductions, and while she did not actively think it, she was grateful for the patience of the other female. Sometimes wolves were put off by her almost aloof nature, but there were those who waited to see that she wasn’t unsocial; she simply wasn’t used to being social. The sound of the other’s voice put her slightly at ease, and her tail swished once behind her.

The white wolf shook her head at the question, and the reddish female nodded though her expression was rather deadpan. She was suppressing her disappointment. She wouldn’t be finding any help now.

A slight smile graced the lips of the ink-stained loner then. She said that she was searching for something on the peninsula, too: a sister, something slightly more tangible than a new home. Thinking of her siblings and the ache in her heart for having to leave them, Tommy nodded in understanding and sympathy. If she hadn’t been set on a different path, she would be roving the country looking for her own sister.

“Yes,” Tommy said simply in response to the other girl’s question. She smiled a little and turned her golden eyes back on the rocky slopes. “I’m sorry I couldn’t be of better help to you, but at least we won’t have to worry about being alone for this stretch of the journey,” she pointed out. Company, especially on these sometimes treacherous slopes, would be good for safety and for morale. As introverted as she tended to be, she felt infinitely more comfortable with a companion. Both of them would be heading south as strangers to the land.

“What do you know about this land of ’Souls?” the wolfdog asked, beginning the journey by leaping down onto a small ledge below them. There was a thin sheet of ice, but with all four legs splayed for balance and the ample space on the outcropping, there was little danger of falling. It hadn’t been a particularly difficult journey uphill, but descending might have been an entirely different matter.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC

Sorry for the wait! Ah! Bad post!

IC

The amethyst eyes of the quiet girl watched as Tommy lead the way, and without argument Farore stood up and followed, choosing the path that Tommy took before her. The older woman was right, Farore had traveled so far alone having company, no matter how short a time they were together, would be beneficial. Psychologically a social creature could go alone for only so long, and perhaps Farore had been near to that breaking point. Early in her journey it hadn't bothered her a bit, and now she felt numb to the constant loneliness, but it wasn't a state she wished to permanently be in. Nayru had always been the thought that kept her moving forward, instead of the memory of Din that threatened to drag her backwards.

Tommy was not Nayru, but she was someone and Farore found that climbing down the mountain didn't seem so daunting as it had just moments before. As she had been contemplating the descent, sitting up on the edge of the tiny world below, it seemed almost unimaginable to actually complete her journey. Actually know for sure whether Nayru was down below or still out of reach. Yet with her mind diverted Farore found the fear of failure eluded her. "I don't know much. I'm looking for a pack called Dahlia de Mai. I know the names of a few other packs, but my parents lived in Dahlia de Mai. I think my sister might have gone there." Maybe. Though Nayru wouldn't have known where to go, their parents had never mentioned the pack when Nayru had been around. Still, it was somewhere to start.

Farore found a small path, winding around the jutting boulders that clung to the slopes and her dainty feet followed this closely until it disappeared and she was once more forced to pick and choose what rocks to step on or not. Climbing up was perhaps more tiring, but less dangerous. Every now and then when Farore came to a particularly unstable looking step she paused in her speech, picking it back up when she had found proper footing. "Some of the packs were formed after the fire in the lands we just passed through. My father told me about a coyote clan too, Inferni. He said if I do come this far, it would probably be best to avoid them. When my parents left Inferni and Dahlia de Mai were at war." Were they still? And if they were, was it foolish for the girl to go searching? Rore decided she didn't care, but she was anticipating the words of Tommy, to see how this woman took the information.

[/html]