Refugees on the mountain
[html]

Here you go guys. The meeting of bulk of our future pack!

Eight feet of scarred, yellow-furred werewolf walked briskly over a shallower portion of the mountain pass. Though these mountains had been quite daunting from the other side, having been stripped bare of life by landslides, and then blackened horribly by falling ash and coated carbon, having scaled them Skoll found them to be quite lush. He had carried Phoenix until he found a safe and sheltered place to set him down so that they could both rest. When Phoenix had awoken, he had told Skoll to move on without him, that he could take care of himself better without so much smoke in the air. Skoll still went back to check on his condition frequently, but otherwise left the bigger wolf to recover while he himself explored the area for other survivors.

Now for finding those survivors. Many wolves had crossed over the low parts of the mountains, and now it was crucial that they reorganize, both to assist wolves with families in finding their loved ones as well as to construct an improvised social group that could take care of itself in the interval between now and the future. Skoll scented the wind, hoping to find someone. The subtle traces of other wolves were by and large muddled, so many wolves coming over the mountain range, many of them he had never met before, and soon he surrendered the attempt, deciding it could not avail him to try and track people down individually. Besides, there was a faster way.

Skoll let out a howl, a sonic beacon that cut through the uncertainty of the fire's aftermath. Hopefully someone would answer his call with one of their own, and a few of the Bleeding Souls refugees would find one another.

~The lyrics are from the best song ever written.
[/html]
[html]
I feel irrational, so confrontational
This one was interesting.

A were, not that Zexion was unacquainted with weres. Fleeing the fire, but everyone with two brain cells was getting out of that hellmouth. No, he was intriguing because he was carrying someone else. Who expended energy to carry someone who couldn't walk? But, he didn't look like an idiot. He didn't act like one, either. And hence, he was interesting.

Because he was doing something Zexion never would, but Zexion couldn't logically say he wasn't intelligent. Yet.

Zexion snorted. Perhaps he was stupid, carrying his friend along and then leaving him behind to fend for himself. Even with ash up his nose Zexion could tell something was wrong with the injured wolf. If you went to the trouble of carrying a fallen ally, why leave him behind to be eaten by a passing bear? The fire had sent dozens of the damnable things heading his way, tromping through his stalking grounds with their injured bawling.

Zexion padded onto the trail, his tail twitching as he gave the were's back a critical eye. As he turned to head the opposite direction, towards the source of the recent migration and presumably farther away from the invaders, the were let loose an abominably loud howl. How cliche. How primitive. He cast the were a razor-sharp glare, and said, "What are you all doing here, anyway?"
But the reality is I'm getting away with murder[/html]

Mm. This was awkward to write. I like first person better now D=
[html]
That was his luck. After finally cleaning up, picking his life back up from the pathetic wreck it had become, there were flames, hungry flames that greedily swallowed up the valley and any creatures foolish enough to remain in its path. Needless to say, Kieran had no time to meet up with his pack just before the mad scramble to the far mountains had been made.

But the journey was over now, and the tired and lonely Luperci was making a desperate search for somebody, anybody he could recognize. The mixed and muddled scents from the migrating masses made it near impossible to identify any one person. And, really, what were the chances that he would stumble across an old friend? They were all probably either dead or long gone by now. As pessimistic as the thought was, he couldn't help but believe it to be true. So the black wolf had resigned himself to wandering about the vaguely familiar lands, wishful in thinking he could find someone to forge a new alliance with. Maybe luck would turn around for him and the old nomadic clan from his memories would still be around...

Then, lady luck interrupted his hopeful musings in another way, a howl piercing the area around him. Ears perked, his eyes turned immediately toward the source of the call. Desperate for the company after his month of self-imposed solitude, Kieran sounded a call of his own, letting the stranger know he was coming. With that he took off, wanting to close the rather short distance between them faster.
[/html]
[html]

The bronze wolf looked down at the smaller gray who had approached him. His amber eyes met the glare evenly, unperterbed. It was a powerful stare, he could see the disdain in it; but after his life of battle, meeting the eyes of the brutally insane, the ferally vicious, the smouldering gaze of those consumed by hate, and the fanatically devout, it took a lot more to shake the six...nearly seven year old veteran.

"Are you serious?" he asked pointedly. "Surely you smelled the fire? Or saw the smoke?" He shook his head, giving the four-legged wolf a look of disbelief. "We're here for obvious reasons. Right now, I'm trying to bring other people here so that we can re-organize enough to instate some sort of order on this situation. Other people might have been separated from friends and family, it would be best for any of us from the valley to band together for the time being, and go looking for wolves or reformed packs that we know of." Even as he said this, an answering call sounded close by. The two of them only had to wait a short while before a black figure emerged.

"Greetings. I'm Skoll, of Storm, if it still exists. I'm hoping to gather people to go in a search for other survivors. You seem to be well enough to travel, will you join me?" Skoll spoke in a deep resonating tone. He spoke strongly, the same way he had spoken to his forces before the battles of the War of Shadows or the Four Pack War. He was serious, they could exchange pleasant conversation later.

[/html]
[html]
I feel irrational, so confrontational
Huh. Maybe he was an idiot. Zexion had very clearly as why he was here, not why he was here. Zexion knew the why. It was very apparent. What he didn't know was why here. Why his stomping grounds, of all places? And, gods, why did they have to try and reform their packs where he was?

I liked being alone, he thought, sitting his skinny self down and observing the newcomer sharply. He got an introduction. Zexion hadn't gotten that. Then again, it wasn't as if he had been polite. Or that he wanted to know who he was speaking to. He scowled at nothing in particular.

"How many survivors are you expecting to find?" he asked. Ye gods, there couldn't be that many trying to make packs on his mountain, could there? Perhaps he was being a bit possessive over a chunk of dirt and trees, but he'd been skulking here far longer than they had.
But the reality is I'm getting away with murder[/html]

AND I POST. I am rusty. OIL ME UP, SCOTTY.
[html]
He stepped through the trees to be greeted by the sight of two others, each as unfamiliar to him as the other. But familiarity wasn't required, no, all this wolf needed was a little company now. He tipped his head in a silent greeting to the pair of strangers as he came to a stop nearby. Quiet and calm on the outside, he listened intently to the words exchanged.

He nodded, a smile slipping onto his features as the battle-scarred wolf introduced himself and made his intentions known. His hopes were lifted at the thought of finding another group from the valley. But the simple question posed by the gray wolf beside him was enough to pull that pessimistic part of him right back out. That fire had been swift and unforgiving. What were the chances that more escapees had wandered into this particular territory? That thought was dismissed after a moment; it was that type of thinking that had led him into the rut over Selene. He didn't need that to happen again.

"Kieran Heartsong, of... Jaded Shadows." Hesitation lingered over the name of the pack. Was it even still around? "Searching for others while we still can sounds like the right plan. I'm sure there has to be some survivors around here somewhere." The last statement was partially a response to scowling wolf's question. Kieran trained his eyes on him for a moment. Was he from the valley too, like Skoll and himself? Or perhaps he was from around here? He didn't recall any introduction from him.
[/html]
[html]

Hey guys, the thread continues here: http://www.bleeding-souls.com/ipb/index.php?viewtopic.php?t=1489

Tammi edit: I'll give you guys a holler once that thread is ready for your postage! We need to get through some things first, whee. c:

Just as the black wolf introduced himself, a howl carried over to them from far off. He recognized the owner of the howl. His friend Tayui had called out over the mountain, and he perked his lone ear in the direction of her voice. Turning to the two wolves at his feet, he jerked his head in the direction of the call.

"Good news for both of us, it seems. If Tayui survived, there are probably a few more Jaded Shadows wolves around besides. Feel free to come along, gray, I'll not stop you. Or stay here, it makes no difference. I'm following the call. Kieran, let's make our way off." Skoll considered retrieving Phoenix, but after the jostling he knew that his friend needed rest. He would be sure to return to where he'd left him by nightfall, to check on his condition. In the meantime, there were a lot of wolves to get reunited and settled in. Once all the running around of finding other wolves was done, and a place was chosen to stay for the night, then he could get Phoenix and take him, once he had a solid idea of how long they'd be traveling to get there.

Without ceremony, he was off, a nod of his head in their intended direction his only indication of his intent.

[/html]