a new smell
# Character Name: Varice
# Character Birthdate (including year): 1/4/2009
# Whether s/he is a regular wolf or a Luperci: luperci
# Species: 60% Canis latrans texensis (coyote) 40% Canis lupus pambasileus (wolf)
# Gender: male
# Currently played characters: first one
# How you found 'Souls: my partner plays and in all honesty it looks like alot of fun, soooo through a friend?

Varice was on the verge of collapse, he thought as if these mountains would never end, and just as he was about to crumple under the weight of travel, his ears perked up.
a smell, a new smell, not prey or predator but.......similar. He rooted around for a bit before ambling on further until the scent culminates into something much more.....forboding.
Varice, perplexed by this new sensation begins to howl, one hoarse yet penetrating note until his voice cracks, causing him to sputter and cough.
regaining his composure, Varice proceeded to patrol this small patch of land in hopes that someone, or something would show itself, and perhaps offer more answers.

Varice stands, ears stiff, poised, ready for whatever might show itself in this never-ending forest.
recurring memories of his elders talks of pride and humility convince him to stand at the ready, in case those that would be judgmental were already watching.
the last thing he wanted to do in this situation was falter or show signs of weakness.
he only hoped that the new scent revealed itself soon, as his strength was waving, and the pain in his paws grew by the second.
[html]

Word Count → 411 :: Hallo! Big Grin Glad you decided to join our craziness. >D

The borders had not been supremely busy as of late; the scarred hybrid had grown lax in her patrol. This was not to say she did not live on the borders -- every day she did patrol, but patrolling did not consume her time as it might have in warmer times. The winter had been harsh on the old woman, and her creaking bones and stiffened joints were a testament to that. She did yearn for summer, a strange turn from her stance when she had first returned to Inferni. After experiencing the sweltering summers further south, the silver-shaded hybrid wanted nothing more than a good cold Nova Scotian winter. Now, though, in the midst of her second winter, the eleven-year-old would have traded her tail for the summer to return.

A howl roused the coyote's attention, and her twisted sable ear flicked toward the source of the sound, halting her progression around the territory for a moment. She listened intently, discerning from the voice that someone was waiting for her attention. The Centurion did not hesitate as the notes of the howl faded away; she moved with haste toward the source of the sound, trotting with surprising ease for someone of her age. It was not without some help, of course -- the substances provided by Clover and her sisters were perhaps the only reason the scarred woman was able to be up and moving anymore. The morning arthritis was killer.

Of course, all of this and more she hid from her clanmates, her son -- she would never have let on how bad she felt sometimes. It was an alien thing to the coyote, who had been injured many times before. This time, however, there were no injuries to heal -- this was simply her body breaking down on her. The one-eyed coyote could not get used to this fact, and she forcibly shoved it from her mind as she approached the newcomer, a practiced indifference plastered on her scarred face. This one looked tired -- his eyes and body both spoke volumes of exhaustion. The old woman could not help but notice his outstanding feature -- the pearly tips of white extending past his lips, showing plainly against his charcoal-shaded coat. This she noted with interest; it was a feature she had not seen in many, certainly not for a long time. “What can I do for you?” she asked, not a hint of warmth to her voice.

<style>
.sie-blanktext3 {font-family:'times new roman', times, serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 25px;}
.sie-blanktext3 .ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:justify;}
.sie-blanktext3 .divider {border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; margin:5px auto; width:100%;}
.sie-blanktext3 .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.sie-blanktext3 p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.sie-blanktext3 b {letter-spacing:1px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:-.05em;}
</style>
[/html]
Varice's eyes grew tired, just as his legs began to sway he noticed it, a swift yet subtle movement between the trees.
as the shape became more clear he saw that it was an elder, one that had seen many moons, and whose scars showed great wisdom. if only the bleak expression plastered onto her face was as discernible..

when she spoke it was with great diction, calm yet with authority, it was clear to Varice that whoever this new territory belonged to, the gray one would hold the key to being welcomed.
Varice lowers his head humbly and begins to declare his current position:

i have traveled a great distance, i am alone and have been for quite some time.......who does this land belong to?

he replied in the simplest of ways.
[html]

Word Count → 315

She had seen this scenario far many more times than she could count; the words for those numbers did not exist within Kaena's mind. This was not to say she had ceased to be surprised or impressed. She had lived a long time, but she was not so jaded that she had ceased to find new wonder in the world. When that happened, the Centurion rather thought she would have preferred death and silence. So long as there was still some newness to the world, life was certainly still worth living. Age had altered her perspective on death, naturally -- the silver-shaded coyote certainly did not court death as she had in reckless youth. Now she ran, best as she could -- it would seem in creating something for herself, she had given herself reason to live and thus, reason to fear death. There was no avoiding the inevitable forever, though.

The hybrid's head dipped forward, a sign of respect toward the old woman. As always, such signs were both relished and hated; she could not help the puff of wolfish pride rising within her, and yet she disliked that pride just as much for the sheer fact that it was wolfish instinct calling. “Inferni,” she responded. “I am Kaena Lykoi, Centurion of it. Do you seek to join us, then?” she responded, business-like and wishing for these encounters to be swift as possible. There was no point to standing around in the freezing cold when he was tired and she was already quite knowledgeable in how these affairs proceeded. Her single eye focused on his adornments, the bird skull around his neck, and the faintest hint of a smile showed on her face. “You'd fit in, wearing that,” she said, reddish nose tipping toward the necklace. “We like our dark style,” the hybrid added, referencing the dangling skulls decorating the coyote clan's own border.

<style>
.sie-blanktext3 {font-family:'times new roman', times, serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 25px;}
.sie-blanktext3 .ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:justify;}
.sie-blanktext3 .divider {border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; margin:5px auto; width:100%;}
.sie-blanktext3 b {letter-spacing:1px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:-.05em;}
</style>
[/html]
Varice could tell the silver one was becoming impatient, after all it was not the warmest of nights.
After the elders mention of his skull, Varice took the opportunity to stammer out a frigid yet heartfelt plead for acceptance into the clan of Inferni.

These temperatures suit n-neither of us, and you seem b-bored with casual introductions so I'll get right to the p-point. I've been looking for more like me for a while now and the fact you smell like the weird green stuff i have in my backpack proves we have more in common than just fashion sense, yes i seek to join the Inferni in hopes of one day becoming as seasoned as yourself.

it could have come out a little smoother.......OK, a lot smoother hadn't it been freezing out, but given the circumstances he did not feel the elder would disapprove of forgoing the simple banter of encountering another possible addition to the clan.
Varice could only hope her simple gesture of affection hadn't caused him to overstep his boundaries as a wanderer. His mind began to wander towards her scars and how she might have received them, or how big her clan might actually be. All things considered, these answers would come in time, he was sure of it.
[html]

Word Count → 352 :: ;o

“Not quite bored,” she corrected, albeit gently. “Just been here many times before,” she said, referring to the situation in general. “But it is cold,” the hybrid added, now her smile remaining a bit longer. She did not wish for the newcomer to think she disliked him or greeting newcomers; there was a certain monotony to her duty, of course, but she would perform it with no less vigor, just slightly less enthusiasm. It was a necessary thing, and she would never have actively voiced a complaint. The clan needed fresh blood, after all -- there was never a time they did not. Coyotes came and went, it seemed -- the hybrid had not lived in a wolf pack for many years, so she could not accurately compare their number fluctuations with those in wolf packs, but she would have guessed it was significantly lower.

Coyotes were less social than wolves, and she knew somewhere that it was their mixed blood that had held Inferni together. When the pure-bloods had reigned over the clan, they were little more than loosely scattered allies, drifting in and out. Inferni had nearly died more times than Kaena liked to think about during those times. She, a half-coyote, had failed at leadership twice. Without question, Gabriel was their most successful leader -- he had saved the clan from the flames that had consumed their prior homeland, and he had not faltered in his guidance and direction of the clan. They had survived two wars and probably avoided another with Gabriel at the helm, and he was positively wolfish. Perhaps that was the key to his success.

“At this rate, Inferni will be one giant smoke signal,” the hybrid said, again a half-smile appearing on her reddish muzzle. “Do you cultivate it, or do you have any other skills the clan might find useful?” she asked. They were stocked full of canines with a particular skill for cultivating the green things, but with a large greenhouse, the silver-shaded hybrid did not think they could have too many. The more use they got of the thing, the better.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
a grin spread across Varice's muzzle, the fact that his favorite pass time was as important to the Inferni as the elder had said, caused a slow but steady inward sigh of relief. Perhaps, he could be far more useful then they knew.

I can grow it, find it, and am pretty sure I've found more ways of utilizing its properties than the Inferni have ever deemed possible. in fact, not to seem like a braggart, but I've also found ways of improving its potency.

Varice could tell this would be his calling in the clan, and if she really liked the osprey skull hanging from his neck, he was sure she would be at least remotley elated to hear of his technique for catching the nimble little bastards.

i can catch them you know.......the little ones. i could make a necklace such as this one for your very own if you wish.

Varice hoped he did not sound as if he were bargaining for entrance, the last thing he wanted was for himself to be seen as some token gesture. He wanted them to know he could be both pertinent as well as useful in the long run. A true shame the ospreys didnt taste very good......what little meat they had to offer in the first place.
Welcome to 'Souls!

Congratulations! You've been accepted into the craziest bunch of roleplayers on the vast Internet! Please remember to make your first In Character post within five days.

Not sure where or how to start roleplaying? You can check the Open Threads and Thread Requests forum for a list of open threads, as well as tons of people looking to plot out adventures with your new character! You can also start your own thread and see what kinds of interesting characters turn up for you. If you haven't already, please update your profile with detailed information on your character -- it'll help others get a feel for him/her, which in turn will help generate thread ideas.

You can also start doing other cool things like:

• Earning Word of the Day points, which can get you custom titles and even icons!
  • Fulling requirements for the Catacombs, our IC and OOC achievement system.
  • Participate in general chats and discussions in OOC Garbage.

You can find general roleplay help and guidelines, as well as a wealth of information on our werewolves and the 'Soulsverse on the RP Guide. Don't feel pressured to read it all at once though! The guide is a huge resource and is meant to be used as a reference for various aspects of the game. If you're feeling lost or confused, don't hesitate to post a question in Roleplay Aides, or to seek out a Mentor.

[html]

Word Count :: 341 Hey dude. :| I suck. ;~~~; You should archive this after you read it, and we can have an updated Kae-Varice thread if you'd like? Big Grin You can assume she walked with him to wherever he decided to sleep (even somewhere other than the mansion/caves) and explained their ranks and a few duties he could do (border patrol, maintenance on the greenhouse/mansion house) to help out. ^^

The scarred woman nodded, a grin spread across her scarred muzzle. It did not fade; it would seem this habit was popular among many Luperci, and Inferni was simply a haven for it. They were well-suited to it, after all -- with the greenhouse available, they could grow year-round. The silvery woman figured this was how her granddaughters planned to produce it, and how Razekiel seemed to have an endless supply. The coyote herself was simply a consumer; she had no business with plants, and she did not know the first thing about raising and cultivating them, nor did she care to learn -- at the moment, there was simply no need. Her granddaughters provided ample amounts for her, and she was never quite dry.

“You sound like a useful one. There are others with similar skills -- together, I'm sure you'll all help one another and sharpen each others' skill,” the coyote said, sounding pleased. Although it would not seem to be a good thing that many could do the same thing, the silvery hybrid was not particularly averse to having many who could pool their skills together and create a more brilliant product or end result than one single canine working alone. “I would like that quite a bit, actually. I don't have much like that,” the coyote said, gesturing to her own necklace. It was a single toot from Astaroth, Samael's father. The hybrid smiled and nodded her head toward Varice.

“If you're comfortable in the mansion, you can stay there -- it's not very far, and that way,” she gestured, pointing in the general direction of the D'Neville. “If you'd rather a cave, you can follow me. Either way, I'll walk with you and explain a bit about Inferni to you,” the hybrid said, intending to explain their ranks as well as what he could pursue in their clan. Their Aedile ranks seemed full, but that did not mean his particular affinity for the green stuff would be ignored or useless, as she had stated to him.

<style type="text/css">
.kaena-x01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#000000; letter-spacing:1px; }
.kaena-x01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.kaena-x01 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.kaena-x01 {margin:0px auto; width:450px; background-color:none; background-image:url(http://i1047.photobucket.com/albums/b47 ... aenax1.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 10px 0px 165px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#111111; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]