Chasing Flight
Quote:(ooc~ Weather conditions are similar to when i wrote this here in Kentuckey. lol : Winter, but little snow on ground, lots of ice though, and bloody cold; there is little snow fall and the time is early afternoon. Also about the hawk she's chasing, it's real, its just not important at the moment, to learn more read her detailed profile : Link ((If I should change anything, just tell me Smile )) )

She stood and stared at her hazed reflection against the slightly frozen stream, her image stared back at her as she considered her situation. She had been alone for a while now, and had no idea of where she was going. She lifted her head from her reflection on the frozen surface; her eyes gazed up at the sky and narrowed as if she could see past the sky and into space. Birds flew overhead; her concentration on the sky broke to watch as the small little songbirds flew over her. She sighed and lowered her gaze as she turned to walk away from the small stream.

What am I going to do? Her mind wondered to this thought as she walked. Where am I going?

She strolled within the dampwoods, her mind keeping to these thoughts as she stepped over a fallen tree. What was she to do when she had no destination? She had been lost since their deaths; the deaths of those few who had seem to give reason and guidance to her. Now, all she could seem to do was wonder aimlessly and hope that someone would see her and investigate the peculiar lone wolf.

The echoing of strong wings beating reached the ears of the lone wolf; she froze to the sound and reached her gaze up to the sky once more. It flew high above her, passing her with its swift flight. She stood frozen by the image of the hawk in the sky, and could feel her heartbeat begin to race as the predator bird raced a head of her. Her body moved with out command and this she wolf found herself running beneath the graceful flight of the hawk.

She bounded over rocks and stumps, and zigzagged around tall pine trees just so she could stay in sight of the hawk. She ran as if she flew, following the winged creature in the sky, but it was faster and soon in was no longer in her sight. She staggered to a stop, her hind right paw began to protest with the abusiveness it had been given. It still ached from when she twisted it, and limited her movements to a slow but steady walk.

She whined in agony, and reached her tongue to gently lap at her now bleeding paw pads.

I’m a fool to think I can do this by myself, she thought as she placed her sore paw gently back on the ground. She limped forward, her eyes stared up to where once a red-tailed hawk flew, and she sighed. Bloody bird…
OOc: WC: 1714. lol, I did not realize it would be so long. XD

Leon quickly padded along in the Dampwoods. He had followed the scent the pine trees gave off, hoping to find the place with such a amazing smell to it. He had been here for several days now, feeling no rush to leave, seeing as how he avoided going near the pack areas. But now, he found himself questioning that choice.

The stream had a bend a little ways off from where he had been sitting, gently pawing the ice as he watched the new marks he left. Then the wind shifted and he heard the sound of something running a short distance away, and immediately shifted his body to an aggressive pose, with holding his growl as he saw a medium sized female wolf race past where he stood. ‘Curious…’ Leon thought to himself. He narrowed his eyes as he noticed one of her rear legs set at a curious angle.

With a growl, he tore off after the she-wolf, his eyes darting back and forth, searching for threats. He followed her to the left and back, weaving between trees and rocks, the snow slowing him some as he jumped over a few rotting logs, determined to discover the mystery behind this odd wolf.

Suddenly, the she-wolf slowed down, until she was walking. He watched as she tended to the pads on her paws, noticing her flinch when cleaning her back right foot.

When she had finished, she stood, gingerly placing her hind foot on the ground. As she looked up, Leon approached her, circling as he did so he would stop off to her front left. “Greetings to you.” He said in his monotonous voice. “Is there a reason you were running? Are you being followed?” He asked, sitting down, trying to relax his body. ‘Idiot. Being tense will only make her less likely to speak with you.’ But Leon had to admit, that might be best for her…
Quote:ooc: That's alright Smile Oh, and thanks for joining! :3

She halted, ears held erect from the sounds of an approaching wolf. She stood ears perked and tail lifted in a semi aggressive fashion. She spun her gaze toward the male wolf as he spoke, she waited quietly for him to finish, then stood in silence only a few seconds studying him for any signs of a threat.

He seemed harmless, and so she sighed and then spoke. “I’m not being chased.” She stated slightly harsh, “I was doing the chasing.”

She lifted her gaze up to the sky once more while she tested her weight again on her hind leg, “I was fallowing a hawk,” she began again, eyes falling from the sky to land upon the male wolf. “Who are you?” She asked lightening her voice in attempt to sound friendlier then she had sounded earlier.

She watched the wolf for any signs of a sudden attack, while also at the same time glancing at her hind leg as she moved it carefully about to get it back in its proper place. She sighed eyes both on the wolf before her and on her aching hind paw. Her paw would be fine once she rested from her run, but she would not allow her guard to go down until she was a hundred percent sure that the brute before her meant her no harm only current companionship.
Leon inwardly flinched at her harsh tone, but could not blame her. He himself spoke indifferently, usually using the exact same tone. "Were you now?" He questioned, raising an eyebrow. "I suppose that is an alright goal." He added, looking up as well. He saw a cloud that resembled flying song bird. 'Now that is interesting.' Leon thought, still staring even as the she-wolf looked at him. He responded this time with mixed emotions of anger and sorrow in his voice, "My name?... Its Leon ven Liudesys..." He lightened his tone then, trying to change the subject. "I was resting beside a small stream when I noticed you, so I thought I'd check on you, miss..." Leon trailed off, waiting for her to decide if she wanted to give him her name or not.

He had been traveling around alone for a long time now, so he was feeling slightly awkward. Leon looked down at the strangers hind foot. 'Her foot definitely is hurt... I wonder what happened to her.' He laid down, keeping his head up, looking into the females gray eyes.
She kept silent for what seemed like a few minutes, but when the brute laid, she sighed and sat as well. Her paw was feeling a lot better now that she was able to rest it and pull weight from it. She sat, her tail tucked above her hind paws. She stared at the other wolf who had proclaimed himself by the name of Leon ven Liudesys.

What is it with wolves now a days and their names? She wondered recalling how her father only named her by one name. She then remembered her manners, and tucked her ears back slightly in awareness of her rudeness. She may had had a stoic persona, and attempted to push all that she came in contact with away, but she knew as any that being rude to someone who could easily over come you was a bad thing.

In a fight she could last, and possibly find a way to escape with minimum wounds, but with her still aching paw and the limitations that it gave her, it was better if she played nice.

The she wolf sighed, “Deirdre.” She stated, “My name is Deirdre.”

“As for chasing that bloody bird,” she glowered. “That wasn’t my plan, it just happened to have happened.”

She recalled the hawk in her memory. It was a red-tailed hawk that she chased, its beautiful flight she vividly remembered. She felt her gaze lift into the sky once more, her eyes darting to every slight winged movement. She wanted to see it again; she wanted to chase it down, to claim it. She sighed and looked down once more at the brute.

“Why would you come to check on me?” She asked meeting the gaze of the other. “What did you believe you would gain by interacting with me?”

She knew she sounded crude. She knew with her snarling attitude this other would leave her alone at some point. She wondered how long this other wolf’s patience with her would last, would he see her paw and have sympathy, or would he get up and leave. She sighed.

I have to stop doing this, she said to herself lowering her gaze form the other and looking to her right. She studied the frost bitten life around her. To bad its winter, I could use some herbs right about now…

She continued to look, her eyes going from right to left, and eyeing the ground around her. She studied the plant life that was visible amongst the snow-covered ground, and then raised her head up, eyes clenched. Gentle snow flecks fell upon her face and dotted her coat. Her stomach growled and her ears perked her embarrassment of her stomach speech. She looked over at the brute, and she dipped her head slightly down, eyeing her empty stomach.

When did I last eat? She questioned, realizing that it had been a while since she had hunted. Bloody bird… she repeated in her head, and then spoke out. “Can you hunt?”
Leon studied this female wolf carefully, trying to find out anything he could. From her scent, he could tell she had companions, or used to till recently. Beyond that, he only had her tone and attitude to go by. His ears perked forward as he listened to the the wolf name herself. 'Deirdre... Deirdre. I wonder what that means?' He thought to himself.

He smirked in amusement when Deirdre spoke of the hawk. "Well, I'm sure the hawk was terrified." He teased, hoping to get something out of her.

When she questioned his intentions, Leon had to tilt his head. "Well." He began, "When you ran past where I was resting, I noticed you right hind paw looked injured. Being myself, I assumed you were fleeing from whoever, or whatever caused you the injury. I followed, my intentions were only to help you if you needed it. Having someone to talk to was just an unexpected bonus." He finished, his tone giving off a hint of his happiness with the interaction, though his face betrayed nothing. "I've been alone for I don't know how long... Its nice to be able to talk to someone other than myself." Leon added.

He watched Deirdre as she looked around at the plant life, once again wondering about this female. When she raised her head, eyes clenched, Leon sat up, ears forward as he waited.

As Deirdre looked down, Leon looked intently at her fur. When she questioned him about his hunting, Leon stood, tail slightly raised. With a grin, he nodded. "I don't usually hunt much though, being alone, a rodent can usually be enough. What do you have in mind?" He questioned. He was unfamiliar with the area, and did not know where a good source a food was.
Quote:OOC~ Sorry for the wait. haha. Smile

Her ears went back slightly in irritation when the brute spoke about the hawk being scared. The she wolf snorted and her eyes gazed again up at the sky.

That bird, terrified? She asked herself. No, its wasn't terrified of me, it knew I fallowed it. She snorted in annoyance and set her gaze once more upon the male wolf. She listened as he explained his reason for fallowing after her. She sighed. Talking with someone was a bonus for random interactions.

“Well as you can see, I’m fine.” She stood up, eyes still focused on the other as he explained about his recent hunts. She sighed, rodents are off the menu; she snorted to herself.

She took a step down from where she had been resting; it was only a few feet from where Leon had sat. She held her body stiffly as if she was on guard and ever aware of the other wolf’s movements, her head was held parallel to her shoulders. She went to stand beside him, her steps showing no signs of pain as she put weight on her right paw.

“It’s winter,” She stated. “And I can’t remember the last time I hunted…” It’s because I’ve been oblivious to reality since I climbed out of that pit, she told herself. “I was thinking rabbit…There could by a rabbit hole somewhere.”

She moved forward, nose lifted to the sky and nostrils flared in attempt to pick up a scent. “We could find us a rabbits’ den…” As she spoke, her mind ran with the details of this peculiar hunt. “Every rabbits’ den has atleast two exits, one to go in the other to come out if trapped by a predator.” She stated again walking to the edge of the very small clearing that she found herself in. “If you are willing,” She glanced behind her to Leon.

“We must find both holes to the den, one of us must stand at one hole while the other goes to the other side.” She paused only briefly to turn her gaze back to the trees, “the other must startle the hares to run through the other hole where the other of us will be waiting.”

She stopped speaking to turn around and face Leon; she then sat with her back towards the trees.
OOc: No problem, glad to see you back Smile

Leon noticed Deirdre react to him mentioning rodents, and snickered quietly, careful not to let it be heard. He did not care if it was a rodent or an elk, food was food to him. As she walked past him, Leon subtly watched her paw. 'I hope you're right.' He thought, looking up to the trees she was facing.

"Rabbit sounds pretty tasty right about now." Leon said to her. He began thinking about how to chase the rabbits out. "What would be a good way? One of us could dig while the other waits on the other side. Or make noise in one hole?" Staring back at Deirdre, Leon began to tap his tail anxiously. "I'll play either part, you just give me the word." He said, giving Deirdre the dominant role for now.

Sniffing the air, Leon paced towards the trees, lowering his head to try finding the trail early on. "You can be the 'Vadas' of this expedition." He said to her, stopping and turning his gaze back upon her.

He was ready to help Deirdre get something in her stomach. He himself had eaten a few days earlier, so his hunger was not terrible, but he learned in getting this far, you ate when you could. 'Than maybe you should rest till that paw is healed...' He thought quietly.
Deirdre smirked wolf like while her tail swooshed behind her in a motion that made her look a little to devious. She sat up straight, chest held out a bit as she breathed with pride. Her ears were held up straight as she spoke of what the teaser should do to lure the rabbits out from their den and into the fangs of the other wolf.

“Well that’s simple, we scare the living day lights out of our prey,” She rose her head and sneered. “Whichever one of us does it does not matter; all we have to do is act like we mean to get into their hole.” She smiled, “We have to do the whole thing; digging, snarling, biting, clawing! All of it!”

She was getting excited, her hunger driving her mind to take great leaps into an imagination filled with her hunting for food. She was starved, the thought of hunting rabbits made her realize how long she really did go without food. She calmed down slightly from her over excitement, and sighed.

Her ears twitched slightly when Leon spoke, “Vadas?” She question, not actually forming the word into a question to be answered. She tilted her head slightly, her ears twitching to the sound of his voice. Her hunger was getting to her slightly, she seemed less like a stoic wolf and more like her normal self, but once she fed that stoic persona would return.

She sighed and shook her head, clearing her thought with wonder on what that word meant. She took a deep breath and glanced up at Leon.

“I believe you should do the catching, and I’ll scare them out of their hole.” She sighed, “My hunger is getting to me, and I don’t think I’ll be coherent enough to catch the buggers, but I can act mad enough to scare them to you.”

Her tail slightly thumped against the ground with her decision, and then she stood from where she had sat her nose lifted to the sky, sniffing for a scent. From the sky, it lowered to sniff and huff the scent of the ground. From this position, she eyed Leon.

“Well, are you going to help me sniff out these rabbits or not?” She asked walking into the woods, her ears perked up so she could hear any comments or words spoke from the male wolf.
OOc: If you want me to change it, just let me know. ^^

By your whim Vadas.” The Timber called out and, with a grin, Leon bent his head to the ground and began sniffing. He walked off to Deirdre’s right, and wandered parallel of her.

He had to admit to himself, this female was pretty interesting. Her sudden change of attitude when food was the topic amused him greatly, almost making him laugh out right. But now was the time for hunting, and he focused his mind on his task.

After searching for a short time, Leon found the scent he was searching for and began to wander away from Deirdre, following it till he found a small hole near the roots of a pine tree. Searching the area, he found another hole, and double checked to make sure there were not any more exits. Then he sniffed the entrance to make sure there were actually rabbits inside. Satisfied, Leon turned his attention to his Vadas, only to find she was not beside him. 'Oops... I forgot to check back first...' He thought, berating himself.

"I think I found your dinner Deirdre!" Leon called out, not knowing where she was. He sat near the second entrance, looking at the tree the first was near. He figured she could not be too angry with him since he found the rabbits. So he sat, watching the rabbit hole now.

When she arrived, he would leave her to watch this one, than go to the smaller hole. He was more than ready to get the food and find a quiet place to settle for tonight. He only hoped his new female friend would be thinking the same.
Quote:OOC~ Nah, you're fine, no need to change anything. Tongue Haha, oh, and sorry for the short post, the next one should be longer. Smile

She knew he glided in a different direction while they sniffed out their meal, but she did not care. To gain more distance, and to be sure they found their prey there was a need for parting form each other’s sides. Besides, they were hunting rabbits not elk. The female wolf sighed as she snuffed around the ground, her ears pointed up in listened concentration. She huffed and then raised her head up to the sound of Leon’s voice calling her to his side.

She wagged her tail briefly in her privacy before she walked out from her small patch of shrubbery and trotted up to where Leon was. Her ears were erect, and her eyes glanced over to the small rabbit hole. She huffed, and then looked up at Leon.

“Is this the entrance, or the end?” she asked eager to get on with this small hunt.

She looked in three different directions, her eyes darting back and forth until they came to rest once more on her hunting partner. “Where’s the other side?” She asked.
OOc: Sorry for this being so short. ><

As Leon sat over the second hole, he kept his eyes glancing at the one by the tree roots. He assumed this one to be the main entrance, and the smaller one by the pine tree to be the escape hole, judging by the size differences. He heard Deirdre approaching him, and glanced up.

"I believe this is the entrance. And the exit is over by that small pine." Leon replied to her first question, indicating the tree by pointing with his snout. "I checked for the scent, and found that the occupants are here, and have been keeping an eye on the other hole. I'll head over now and you can begin digging your way in." He said, grinning at Deirdre. He got up and walked over to the tree, positioning himself over the hole, where the rabbits would not be able to see him till he grabbed them.

"On your go Vadas!" Leon said, focusing on his end. He crouched, putting his muzzle within inches of the hole, prepared to act quickly. "As I prepare to make my kill, I take this time to thank you for all you have done for me, and pray for your peaceful rest... Sudie." He offered to his ancestors, before silencing himself. He kept his ears opposite, one back, and one forward, so he could hear when Deirdre began and when the prey was coming.
Quote:OOC~ hope this works. haha.

She watched as Leon went to stand by the other hole, and once the brute was position she moved to the entrance. Her tail rose high above her back as she lifted her head up, and let forth a howl. A long, beautiful howl; loud, and frightening, but filled with a hidden sorrow that only this threatening call allowed to be heard. With her howl, the rabbits within their den were alerted to her presence, to her closeness to their home.

The she wolf smirked and lowered her head from her howl to sink to her belly, and crawl closer to the rabbit’s den. She sat outside their home, eyes and nose searching for their prey. She inched closer to the entrance, until she finally stuck her head through the portal of the den. She breathed in, taking in with her breathing the scents of their prey. Two rabbits, adults, she assumed a mated pair, but there was no scent of a litter.

Then, with her head with in their den, she began her rampage. She began to dig her way through the entrance, her body and claws expanding the entrance with her size as she moved about. She snarled and howled, and bit at the space between herself and the two rabbits huddling before her. At their sight of her, and of her scent, the two hares panicked. They saw before them an intruder, a snarling beast with sharp pearl white fangs snapping at their shadows.

They screamed as she inched closer, and brought them closer to their own deaths. With fear of the beast before them, and of the pain that its fangs would bring them, the two hares turned their backs from the she wolf and began to run through a small tunnel in the corner of their den like hole. They ran away from the she wolf thinking that safety would greet them upon their flight, but unaware to them, there standing before their escape route was another beast that awaited them.

With beating little hearts, the rabbits reached their light through the dark tunnel, and leapt out from their den and into unexpected danger.
Leon's ears perked when he heard Deirdre's howl, and he stared at her, his face losing its usual cold expression. "What did y ou lose Deirdre..." He wondered aloud, hearing a tone similar to one in his own howl. He felt his hair raise and his skin crawl. He smiled as she finished howling, turning his attention back to the rabbits den when he saw her begin digging. 'Later.' He decided, as he heard the female snarling.

When the first rabbit broke free of the hole, Leon snapped it up by the neck, quickly biting down and crushing the life from it. Sure of its death, he tossed it aside and then lunged forward after his second target, planting his fore paws on its back and neck. When he felt it stop fighting, Leon picked it up by its scruff, dropping it on the first. With a satisfied smirk, he called to his partner. "Alright, dinners ready, so you can get your head out of the hole Vadas." He said, letting his voice show his amusement at the females position. He looked away before she removed her head from the rabbit den though, looking up at the pine tree next to the escape hole.

He did not bother to clean the little amount of blood from his muzzle, and paws. They were about to eat, so he did not see a reason to. He grinned as he gazed at the tree, noticing a song bird on its nest. Soon those eggs would hatch, and usher in a new generation for that family. He felt a sudden stab in his chest and looked away, fighting to keep his face blank. 'I'm sorry everyone, I should have found him by now. Dead or alive...'
Quote:OOC~ Sorry for the late post. haha. Smile

Butt up; tail wagging in pure excitement of what she had just done. She stayed there, head within the hole of the rabbits' den; she watched as they scurried away from the sight of her and ran up the tunnel leading them to another wolf. She did not bother to move herself from that position until she heard the other wolf call her by her name. She perked up, and swiftly pulled herself from the hole, in the process of removing herself from the lair, she almost banged her head on the top of the open hole. Ignoring this sudden clumsiness due to her over excitement of a job well done, she glanced to where Leon was staring up at a pine tree.

Tilting her head slightly to the right, she began a steady trot toward the other male, upon her arrival to his side she stood a few paws length away from him and stared hungrily down at the lifeless hares. Ears tilted back in semi aggression once again, and taking advantage of Leon’s current focus on the little song birds within the tree, she took it upon herself to steal one of the rabbits from the small pile. Her movement was swift, as if a striking snake had awoken from its winter sleep to strike out at the two-body mound of rabbits.

She pulled the rabbit from beneath the other, and tossed it up in the air before catching it as it fell to the ground. With the medium sized rabbit in her mouth, she turned her back slightly away from Leon, sat, and then completely plopped herself on the ground, she began to maw upon the rabbit between her paws.

As she enjoyed her meal, she eyed Leon and the other rabbit. “You better eat that; don’t let it go to waste.” The timber wolf said between a mouthful of meat.
OOc: lol... Short ><

When Deirdre snatched up one of the rabbits they had caught, he grinned than hid it from the female. As she started to eat, he took a deep breath and stretched, then grabbed the other kill as Deirdre had suggested. He lay down to Deirdres right, facing slightly towards her. He ripped out the rabbits stomach and found its small liver, eating it slowly. He continued to gaze up, though now he had no center of focus.

Eventually, his gaze fell to the female once more, and he stared at her as he ate his kill. Leon was curious what this female experienced, and wondered why her howl had such sorrow in it, but could not bring himself to ask. "Feeling better Vadas?" He asked, deciding that his would be the last time he called her that, and switch to her name instead. "Though I know a rabbit isn't much..."
Quote:OOC~ Short too, lol.

She did not speak right away; instead, she gnawed upon a small bone, gnawing on it until she got to the marrow. With her tongue scooping out the yummy insides of the bone, she eyed the male wolf, and once done enjoying the marrow, she sighed and spoke.

“Better, much better.” She said calmly. “A rabbit is still food, and it’s good.”

Her tail wagged slightly, its thumping upon the earth halted for a second for her to crack open another bone from the rabbit. She kept her eyes darting between Leon, and her food, but did not put up an aggressive threat; instead, she held her ears down against her head in a calm manner.

“Thanks for the help,” she said after gnawing for a few on the empty shells of the rabbit. She sighed after finishing her meal, and then studied Leon laying a few paws length from her. She did not know where this day was going, and did not know if it was time for the two of them to part, but she did not want to move, not yet anyway. With food in her belly, a relaxing moment sounded nice. “What are your plans for after this?” She asked curious, thinking that it was all right to start up a little bit of a conversation to pass the time.
As Leon calmly finished his rabbit, he listened to his companions answer to his question and ask him his plans. He raised his muzzle and liked some blood off of it. Considering her question carefully, he observed Deirdre. He was not afraid of telling her his story... only worried about how she would react to it.

He tentatively began, "Well... I suppose I'll just continue to wander the area for now. I'm hoping to find... someone. I tracked him as far as dampwoods, but lost his trail some time ago." He paused, his left paw batting a bone around. "Other than that, just wandering about and trying to learn more of this area. What about you, Deirdre? What brought you to 'Souls?" He asked, curious himself about this females history, and interested in learning more of her.
She rested her head upon her paws, her eyes gazed up at Leon as he spoke. She smirked, and said nothing for the longest time. She sighed, her memory recording the moment as she rushed through the images of her mind to come to terms with what she really was doing there. She sighed again.

“Nothing,” She stated calmly. “I’m just wondering…”

She did not seem to know her reasons for being there, she was just there, and her reasons were as much unknown to her as they were to Leon. She sighed and lowered her gaze from the brute for a moment to wonder upon her thoughts.

“I suppose I’m searching like you,” She began after a moment. “But for a reason…”

Maybe that was the reason of her being there; maybe she was there because she was searching for a reason to continue. She sighed, “You could say I’m here because of that bird,” she suddenly said. “I chase that hawk everywhere it seems, and I don’t even know if it’s the same bird…”

Her mind wondered off into thoughts concerning the red-tailed hawk she often found herself chasing. She laughed to herself, “I’m obsessed with that thing…” she said quietly to herself.
OOc: I finally reply >< So if my post is lame. Sad My muse isn't giving me much.

"For a reason?" He questioned. He had been down that path before, and knew how rough life could get. "...Even if you don't have one now, I'm certain one will present itself to you. I mean, look at me." He said, smiling. "I found one that brought me here after all."

When she mentioned following the bird everywhere, he chuckled. "Maybe it lead you to this 'Souls place on purpose. From what I hear, its supposed to be a place to start anew. According to my uncle anyway." He said, trying to make sure the mood could stay light.

When he heard her mumble something about obsession, he laughed, but didn't comment on it. Looking up, he noticed the sky was starting to darken, and stretched himself out. "Looks like the day is almost up. Were you headed anywhere in particular? I need to travel the area a bit more, so I'll be wandering every which way. And no, I don't really have a search plan yet." He said, adding the last part because he thought she would ask about where he would start searching. "I can probably take you as far as Dahlia De Mai, but then I have to part your company Deirdre. I have to check with nearby packs and such for sightings of the person I am looking for."