Making progress despite the belly.
[html]

Word Count → 320

Orin had two small, lightweight planks of wood in her hands. It was a simple, light burden, something she could guiltlessly carry. It was not too heavy and would not strain her body too much to carry, which was a good thing for within the woman's swollen belly were brand new, precious little lives. The pack was still crippled by the aftermath of the great snowstorm that ravaged their lands, and it seemed that everybody was too absorbed in their own repairs to offer any help to the pregnant Takekuro woman. Well, she didn't blame them. They probably all assumed that she would be staying with Shawchert until her babies were born... but this was not true. Orin had no intention of giving birth to the puppies in Sky's house. She wanted to do things her way. The snowstorm had robbed her of her chance to nest, and build a great place to give birth to her children, so the next best place would be her home, her own bookstore.

And so now, alone, Orin walked two planks of wood across the Thornbury shopping square and towards her bookstore that had sustained some damage during the storm. She tripped in a bank of snow, and while she caught her balance and did not fall to the ground, the wood she was carrying slipped out of her grip. She looked at it and sighed. It would be too hard to bend over and pick it up now. So instead, she began pushing it along with her foot.

When she reached her bookstore, she let the planks sit on the snow while she lowered herself to the steps of the porch to sit. A hand fell onto her swollen belly. It would not be long now. “I promise I will have a suitable home for you, my little loves,” she spoke to her belly as she rested and caught her breath.

<style>
.orin-scrolltxt-box {background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2011f ... raldic.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: top center; width:259px; height:80px; float:right; margin:3px; }
.orin-scrolltxt {font-family:'times new roman', times, serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 25px;}
.orin-scrolltxt .ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:justify;}
.orin-scrolltxt .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.orin-scrolltxt p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.orin-scrolltxt b {letter-spacing:1px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:-.05em;}
</style>
[/html]
Walking around like a tourist, Argul was way more comfortable out in the wilderness. It was rough and at times a battle for life, but in his mind it was less harsh than places where people gathered; towns, cities, communities. He looked normal, despite obviously being new to this place. He walked around and scouted out things, buildings, and other wolves working and roaming about here and there. Most not even acknowledging he was there.

Stopping suddenly, he backed up few steps to retreat behind the corner of a building. He watched an obviously pregnant wolf kicking some wood. Something inside of him flipped on. He was intensely curious of this female and found an attraction to her. He tried to kick it, for multiple reasons. She was pregnant; means there had to be a mate around. Also, he never would have a full on mate of his own. He had too many sick secrets and could never develop the trust needed between couples.

Seeing no one come to her aid after some time, he decided, or rather seemed like he had to go help. He didn’t want to; he didn’t trust himself or what the situation could prove. He knew better than to mess with groups of adult wolves.

He found himself very close to her now and his voice came to him like a shock. It wasn’t noticeable to others, though. In a soft, gentle and low voice he heard himself speak to the female wolf.

“Excuse me, would you like some assistance? I could not see a pregnant wolf doing such laboring tasks.” He spoke to her just after she talked to her unborn children. He found his gaze doing a quick up and down look of her. Taking it all in, sighing inwardly. Why would he torture himself so? He wanted to turn around and walk away, remove the pain before it hit hard. But alas, he did not and found himself already enjoying just talking to her.
[html]

Word Count → 400+

Her ears perked, startled by the unexpected voice. What's more, she did not recognize the voice, and turned her eyes from her bloated belly to the man that now stood before her. He had a pelt of salted coal that seemed to have a purple-blue twinge to it in the light, a peculiar sheen that mirrored the deep violet of his eyes. It was exotic, a strange and intriguing trait, and Orin decided at once that she liked this man for this alone. She wondered if this was a natural trait of his fur or if he dyed it somehow like she did. Though he appeared to be free of dye. Suddenly she began quietly wondering if there were mineral baths that could do this to one's pelt. Wouldn't it look just gorgeous if her ivory coat had a coral sheen in the sunlight?

“Oh, hi!” she said, her surprise reflected in her voice. She straightened up but did not get off of the stoop. There had been evidence here that a great amount of snow had once piled up against the door and then had been cleared away. The windows to the bookstore before which she sat were ragged, having been smashed and weathered during the snowstorm. Someone had been by to repair the woodworking, but the glass panes were still missing from the shop. Great mounds of snow piled just beyond the store's porch were evidence of the snow that had been cleared off of the porch itself.

“Actually, I would appreciate that,” she said with a smile. “Lately I've found it next to impossible to get anything off the ground.” She giggled. “I just wanted to get a bit of wood inside. There's still a few more repairs to be made thanks to the storm. And though I don't want to, I think I need to block up these windows until I can find some more glass that will fit. Only, it's not coming along very fast, since I'm a little slow right now.”

She grinned, then grabbed the banister and pulled herself to her feet. The movement was awkward, as she had to pull herself up at a strange tilt, unable to bend very much in the middle. Yet she managed with some amount of dignity, and kept her smile the whole time. “I don't believe we've met. I don't get out much right now, obviously. My name is Orin. Are you just visiting Cercatori, or are you among our ranks?”

<style>
.orin-scrolltxt-box {background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2011f ... raldic.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: top center; width:259px; height:80px; float:right; margin:3px; }
.orin-scrolltxt {font-family:'times new roman', times, serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 25px;}
.orin-scrolltxt .ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:justify;}
.orin-scrolltxt b {letter-spacing:1px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:-.05em;}
</style>
[/html]
A toothy smile appeared across his face as she acknowledged him and accepted his invitation to assist her. He listened intently, calmly. His focus on her was almost intense enough to cause a straining headache, but he kept that in check and fought off any other stray thoughts as well. Her giggle made him melt. A mix of rage began to swell; he did and did not like the melting feeling. His inner voice told him to leave, to spare himself of what would come of this. But no, the joy of the situation over powered the voice and suppressed the rage to be almost non-existent.

He listened, knowing the storm all too well, from a traveler’s side. He had a really rough time during the storm. He wasn’t caught off guard by it, but he underestimated it. He then cast a playful smile as she said she was a little slow right now.

He twitched, as if he was going to help her get up. But he could see she managed and did not seem to want help with that. He played it off as his end of the offer and knelt down and began to pick up the pieces of wood. He looked up at her now and then as she talked. He hesitated a moment…should he give his full name? But his feelings were already fogging his mind of his own defenses.

“I am Argul Rakezael. You can say I’m just visiting. I am bonded to no packs.” He looked up at her, “I generally live in the wilderness.” His eyes seemed lonely as he said it. It was a hard life, he liked it though.

He straightened up with the wood in his arms and waited for her to direct him on where she would like it. His intentions were to stay and help with the windows though he was neglecting to say that. His mind felt foggy and muddled with thoughts and emotions. He found that he kept asking himself what and why he was here and doing this. They easily got dismissed every time he looked at Orin.
[html]

Word Count → 400+

Argul was not the first loner she had met, nor even the first loner within Cercatori D'Arte that she had come across. Just a couple weeks ago she met a kind, velvet tongued man by the name of Gael near the bay. He had a beautiful talent for guitar and a smooth wit. She wondered for a moment what had become of him. He had been in search of his family and had probably left Cercatori that same day. She did hope the man fared well through the storm. There were other times she met other wolves nearby, too, so Argul's presence seemed normal.

She felt bad for those who lived alone. Orin so dearly loved pack life that she could not understand why anyone would willingly live alone. Yet the man before her now sounded as though he had no remorse or regret for his lifestyle. Orin and her brother, Niro, had lived alone when they were young. They had each other to rely on and no one else. Now that they had found the safe lands and packs of Nova Scotia it seemed neither of them planned to live a solitary life again.

“Well, Argul,” her voice was merry. “You're welcome to stay a while here if you want to have a short respite from the wild life. As long as you're doing my chores you won't hear me complaining.” She giggled again softly. The man was helping her, the least she could do was offer him a warmer place to stay for a few days if he was going to work it off.

Many might be suspicious of a loner who had wandered into pack territory; Orin was not. Trusting by nature, Orin saw little in this charitable man to be afraid of. And besides that, she had met so many decent wolves wandering near the lands of Cercatori. Gael, Saluce... and in some cases, friends even wandered in, like the day Alaine came for a random visit. This felt just like any of those days.

As Argul picked up the planks Orin scurried to the door and held it open, waving him inside. “If you would just put it on the counter over there... but be careful, one side is still broken from before I moved in, so it might be a little weak. Oh! Mind your feet! I'm not sure I did a very good job sweeping up the broken glass.”

<style>
</style>
[/html]
Her giggling was a pleasant torture to Argul. He melted at them but knew he should not. He could not even fight himself on this. He eventually quit trying, too, after calling himself an idiot for these feelings. He didn’t even know her that well and it was growing. Every phrase she uttered, the way she moved, her trusting and merry nature was….well it was nearly the exact opposite of him and he found himself overwhelmingly attracted to it… to her.

He almost declined instantly to stay with her. He knew that would only further this inner turmoil he has and feed the desire that was growing for this female. But he found he did not utter any of those words, instead his heart jumped and he found the invitation was like finding an ancient and rare treasure.

“I would be much obliged to take you up on that offer and help in any way that I can. I must admit, I may not be the most skilled at home repairs due to lack of experience.” He gave a small short laugh. He meant it, but didn’t want to sound like a complete dolt. Then that threw him off-guard once again. Why was he worried about looking like a complete fool? He hardly cared what others thought and was always sure of himself.

He smiled at her at the warning about the glass, though didn’t seem to mind or even watch his steps that much. As soon as the words left her mouth he planned on sweeping the place better for her. He headed over to the counter and then stopped suddenly and looked at her. His face more serious than normal, he spoke in a low tone.

“I am not going to be….uh…..intruding, am I?” He wasn’t quite sure how he wanted to say it. And he wasn’t sure he even wanted to know the answer. His stomach knotted as the words spilled out of his mouth. His heart felt like it stopped, waiting for the answer.
[html]

Word Count → 500+

She followed the man into the bookstore, her eyes scanning the ground in front of his footpaws. If he stepped on a piece of glass and cut himself she would never forgive herself for the poor clean up job she had done! She had known it was inadequate before, but she knew the areas to avoid. Still, with her new family on the way, she should have cleaned it up much better by now. Luckily he seemed to cross the open floor without incident, and she sighed with relief.

“That's okay,” she waved a hand. “I've done most of the work on this place myself and I'm the worst when it comes to carpentry. I got a little experience back in my old pack, Cour des Miracles, when I was trying to fix up a light house to work on. But my brother Niro was around to help me then, and he pretty much followed me around re-fixing everything I thought I'd already fixed.” She sighed and her eyes took on a far-away caste as she remembered the beautiful lighthouse. It was an extraordinary place, up there on the cliff-side of the Shattered Coast and overlooking the great ocean she had ridden in on. In some ways it far surpassed the bookstore that she lived in now, yet she knew she would never trade the bookstore for anything.

“So between the two of us, maybe we'll do a half decent job. I don't really have any good tools, either, but I have to make sure this place is cleaned up and safe.”

Orin shook her head, though her eyes flicked from the newcomer to her belly. She moved across the sales floor and behind the counter where Argul had set the wood, retrieving the broom with intent to sweep up a bit better. “Oh no, you're not intruding one bit. In fact, if anything, you're a big help. Unfortunately, after the storm everyone has been so busy fixing up their own homes that mine has gone by the wayside. I was staying over at the medic's place for a while so I don't think this place was a high concern for repair, although Shawchert did come fix up the broken shutters. Still needs a few things done to it, and I'd like to have my bedroom upstairs all fixed up before... well, before it suddenly gets a little more crowded. Hard to do it all on my own.”

She smiled and moved toward the open floor. “Of course,” she flashed an apologetic look. “I can pay you back for any help with shelter and some food... but I will have to ask you to leave before they arrive.” Her hand fell to her stomach, indicating the precious lives that were to begin in a few short days. “It's going to be less than a week. No offense meant, but I'm sure you can understand...”

No mother wolf, not even trusting Orin, would allow a new acquaintance around her delicate newborn pups, and she wanted to make sure now that the man knew that she would ask him to leave at the first sign of their coming. Still, a few days of work and trade should likely be worth it, right? And after she and her pups were healthy and doing well, she would be happy to have her new friend visit. “I could always talk to the pack and see if we can work something else out if you need a few more days.”

<style>
</style>
[/html]
The name Niro hit him like a sucker punch. He knew that name, and absent mindedly he reached up and felt the back of his shoulders. You couldn’t see the claw marks now, but he knew right where they were. Then coming to awareness he looked at her and tried to keep his facial expressions under check. He realized they went from a happy giddy wolf boy look to hateful and angry, although the look was obviously not aimed at her. He did his best to feign the previous happy expression as before.

He smiled, though unable to obtain the same meaningful smile as before, as she talked about the two of them doing a half decent job together. It was the ‘we’ part that brought it back. His eyes followed hers to her belly. As she turned he found his gaze did not follow and he was looking at her back side. Admiring the dyed tail and everything else that was there to show. Even being pregnant he found the curves to excite him. He caught himself before she turned back to him, the counter helping hide the gaze.

He was glad he wasn’t intruding, but as she spoke, he wasn’t quite sure she fully got what he meant. He wished he could have worded it differently, and then suddenly dismissed that as he remembered that she threw that sucker punch of mentioning who her brother was. His hate began to swell up inside of him. This is why you don’t let yourself get attached, idiot. He told himself. He suddenly felt sad and lonely, all while being angry. Why was it hard? With other wolves, relationships, everything, and then he caught himself clenching his right fist, tight enough to begin to draw blood. He slowly released it somewhat but kept it clenched to stop the bleeding. He did not want her to see, as he had no easy way to explain.

“No offense taken. I would not want to be a burden in such times. I will stay tonight and tonight only. I will help you starting now. You can direct me on what you would like to be done or I can just begin and do what I can.” His eyes flicked to the windows, knowing she wanted that fixed first. She probably did not understand, but his idea of working for the night and next day was going to be all out work. He would not stop but to eat or get supplies. That came from being in the wilderness, though. His muscles were not big and bulky, but stringy and long. They were muscles of endurance and activity. He also did enjoy the idea of sleeping inside for a night. He wished it could be more, but his defenses were less clouded at the mentioning of Niro.

“No, no, that would not be necessary. I will ensure this place safe before I leave tomorrow.” He did not mean to do this, but he looked her up and down again. He wasn’t sure if he could tell, but this was the look of a mental photograph. This would be the last time he looked at her with desire and hope. He would not be able to dismiss the desire, or attraction to her. He was caught in that web, but the hope and possibilities have dwindled into nothing in his mind. It was another tormenting reminder of why he should stay away from others and mind his own business. Bittersweet he thought, looking at her, a lovely site, beautiful female, and something he still could not have. He then caught himself eyeing her, fearing she would think he was just checking out her figure and being a pervert he quickly grabbed the wood and went to the closest window, and then the inevitable happened.

He quickly raised his right leg, and nearly dropped the wood. He stepped on a piece of glass. He cursed himself and leaned over and set the wood down, then began to pick at his foot to remove the glass.
[html]

Word Count → 500+

Being the less than observant type, and preoccupied with the cleaning tool she had just grabbed, she missed it as Argul's expression mutated. She was looking down, eying the floor for shards of glass so she could sweep it up before either of them stepped on it. Even if she had been looking directly at him she probably would not have noticed what the look was for, and discarded it quickly. When he spoke, though, she turned her eyes back to the hybrid and smiled, forgetting her cleaning duty for the moment.

“Thanks so much, the help really is appreciated. It goes a long way.” Her words were genuine, and she was grateful for his understanding. A day of work would help her dearly, and it was a good trade and a sensible idea. This way she would not have to bother any of her pack members, who were all busy with their own clean up and restoring their own lives, and will have been independent when it came to getting this job done. Very much like a smart mother would do! She smiled at the thought.

“Pretty much whatever you can see that needs to be done, and wherever you'd like to start would be good. I need to get the windows covered,” she reiterated with a gesture. “If possible I'd like to reinforce that counter. I should probably clean that stockroom, and it would be nice to get the old cot removed from my bedroom... actually, forget that. I think I will make a bed down here on this level, maybe move that desk and make a bed right there.” She pointed to the middle of the main wall, last-minute planning in effect. “It's probably not a good idea to have the pups upstairs. And I know I'm not going to want to climb those stairs for a few days. I'd rather be down here with all of my supplies at hand.” A firm nod sealed it, this was her plan.

She inspected the area that she wanted to make a floor-based bed out of skins and blankets, chewing on her lip in thought. A more in-tune wolfess may have felt the man's eyes on her by now, but Orin was so lost in thought that she hardly noticed Argul's presence for the moment. She payed no attention to where Argul was walking, and she nearly jumped out of her skin when he jerked and cursed. She turned toward him in surprise and his stance instantly told her what had happened. “Oh no!” She gasped, dropping the broom to the floor with a clatter and grabbing a chair from the desk. She dragged it over to him. “Here, sit! Oh god, I'm so sorry! I should have swept better. Is it still stuck?” Apparently it was, for he was picking at his foot. He looked like he might be able to extract the object on his own, so she turned and waddled toward the back room.

“I don't really have a first aid kit,” she said over her shoulder as she disappeared into the darkness. “But after I got in a little tiff with Sky I thought it would be a good idea to keep some bandages on hand.” She appeared again, hurrying over with a few ribbons of clean cloth. Although she was not exerting herself terribly, the very plump wolfess was now breathing somewhat heavily, the burden of the puppies forcing her lungs to work double-time.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
He glanced at the chair and sat down. Clearly angry with himself, his face was nowhere near the pleasant look it had before. The pain wasn’t nearly as bad as one may seem, especially with the amount of blood that decided to leak from his body. This only heightened the anger with himself. Now he was bleeding all over. He grimaced and scrunched his face as the anger welled up and he knew what he was about to do, he was readying for the pain. Claws first he dug two fingers right in and yanked the piece of glass out. His other hand quickly covered the opening in his flesh which gave out more blood.

He looked up at her, his face switching to a sad look. Look what I have done, he said to himself. He saw her apologizing for his lack of concentration and ability to observe where he walked. Then she was beginning to wind herself over helping him. Even more angry with himself now, but in a different way; he was causing the female to worry and labor at his stupidity. He was thoroughly embarrassed, too, although she may not have the same though his mind went there. A wilderness wolf should be observant of his surroundings and he stepped on a stupid piece of glass. He all of a sudden felt like he wanted to leave, but he could not. He promised to help and he meant to.

“Please, do not worry. It’s nothing fatal.” He attempted a joke. The amount of blood was surprising for such a small piece of glass. “Relax; do not worry yourself on me. I will be fine.”
[html]

Word Count → 300+

“Oh no,” she said, shaking her head and looking at the blood that spilled onto the floor. It wasn't the mess that was pooling that concerned her so much, though, but the fact that Argul had been hurt. He told her not to worry about it but she could not just ignore the fact that he was cut and bleeding all over the floor. Floors can be cleaned, and the blood would clean up easily. But now Argul's paw had been hurt... this could cause the loner some serious trouble in the coming days! Orin had told him he would have to leave in a few days, and he elected to stay only one night. Yet now he had hurt himself because of her negligence. It was unfair that he would have to head off again so soon with an injured paw because of her. Well, it was the least she could do...

“No, it's no trouble. Let me help. Pressure will stop the bleeding.” She knelt down in front of the man and laid the strips of fabric on the floor next to her. They were thin so they would have to apply a couple to keep it from bleeding through. She situated herself on the floor on her knees, having to sit instead of squat because of her belly. She reached for the injured extremity, one bandage already in her hand.

“I'll just wrap this around it,” she said as she grabbed his foot. “And then hold pressure and it will stop in a minute, then we'll tie the others on. You might have to elevate your leg.” She was no healer, but she was a scholar and had read several basic survival books. She understood basic care for a deep cut, but if it needed surgery or medication that would be beyond her scope of knowledge. Luckily, this injury probably was not that bad.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
He was focused in on his foot when, to his own surprise, saw her hands coming in. Her touch sent some paralyzing signal in his body. He stiffened up, his hold body went rigid and just looked at her for what seemed the longest time. It was a disturbing feeling to him. He wanted and liked her touch, but at the same time it paralyzed him, like a defensive measure to not allow it to happen. He didn’t know what to do, his own mind seemed paralyzed. He swallowed; it felt hard, like he would choke on his own saliva.
[html]

Word Count → 300

Her eyes were on the wound as her delicate fingers slipped through the dark, silvery fur and took firm hold. She tried to reposition him so she could get the best vantage point on the wound, but he felt stiff and seemed a bit uncooperative. Her eyes narrowed in concentration and she slipped the first bandage around his foot. She pulled it tight but didn't secure the knot. It needed a lot of pressure before it would stop bleeding and a simple knot would not be enough, so she slipped her hand around the wound, over the bandage, and squeezed her fingers tight to try to cut off the bleeding so a clot could form. Only then did she lift her gaze and look upon Argul's shocked expression.

Her honey-colored eyes went wide, her jaw dropped and she gasped. If she didn't know any better she would have thought the man was choking. She knew in that instant that she was not just imagining his tension. “Argul, what's wrong!” She worried. “Am I hurting you?” Of course the pressure would hurt, but was it that bad? She didn't know what to do, and suddenly doubt and fear welled within her and caused her to abruptly let go of the bandage. Maybe he needed to do it himself. Maybe she was putting too much pressure on it or there was still glass inside.

“Are you okay? I'm sorry! Here,” she scooted back and picked up one of the bandages, holding it up to him. His expression was so strange, she could not puzzle what was wrong, so instead she averted her eyes, turning her gaze back to the bandage that now draped limply over the foot and was doing no good at all. The bleeding had started again.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
Her voice pierced him. He was able to swallow again, he was less paralyzed, and mind was clearing up. His body was still very rigid, even after she removed her hand. He felt foolish and helpless. It was something he couldn’t control. It took him a minute, but he was able to speak finally.

“No, you were not hurting me. I am sorry.” His voice was a lowly sad, the type you hear from someone that felt helpless. The sound was very apologetic, all blame aimed towards himself. He reached down and began to work with the bandages. A skill that working with wounds was very obvious here, though she would not want to know why.

He looked up to her finally, after he generally got the wound under control. He wrapped the bandage strips tightly, tighter than she would have done. His intentions were to begin working on her house. Looking upon her face helped lighten him up a bit. He found himself staring for awhile, enjoying the sight of her, and wondering why he was so attracted to her. He felt different around her, and it was obvious to him. He thought he was saying stupid stuff, and then there was this glass incident.

Suddenly he stood up, only a slight wince on his face as he put his foot back down to the ground.

“Well, I have added to the mess. I will work doubly hard to fix this.” His eyes glinting with anger towards himself as he looked down at the blood and mess they created. Then he noticed her hands and his own hands.

“Maybe we should clean ourselves up first?” His tone was disappointment with himself. Not only did he get the place messier, had her rushing to help him and worried but he got blood on her hands.

“Sorry” it lightly and almost inaudibly came out of his mouth.
[html]

Word Count → 500+

She watched as animation slowly returned to the hybrid, and as she moved away he was able to speak. It seemed to take a while for his muscles to relax again, though, and the look of concern never left her visage as she watched him slowly return to life.

But even as he came back from whatever it was that had shocked him so – the pain, she presumed – he did not seem to return to the happy man that he was before. There was a strange foreboding about him now, a mask of sadness that would not leave. He was quiet for some time, just staring forward. During the first span of silence she continued to stare blankly at the bandage dangling from his foot, but then he moved to tie the bandage and apply the other, and she turned her eyes to his face. She searched him, trying to figure out what had happened. Somehow, something in the back of her mind told her that it was not the pain of the wound that had affected the man.

Still, he was slowly returning to just as he was before, even if some strange depression lingered behind his eyes. Soon enough Orin would replace the strange incident with some fantasy that connected the dots of life and made everything mold to her perfect little world again. She smiled as the man stood up, and she put her hand on the chair to help pull herself up, though the chair budged and her attempt at getting off the floor was unsuccessful. She pretended that this did not bother her, and settled back on her rump again.

“No need to do any extra work,” she said casually. “We'll just work til we're done or we're tired, whichever comes first.” Yes, she enlisted his help to work, but she planned on doing what she could of the tasks, too.

At the mention of it, her eyes flicked to the crimson smattering on her fingers. She wiggled them. “Yeah. Don't worry about it, things happen. You're just trying to help, it's my fault for having the mess in the first place. Hmm... I don't have a water bucket. What sense does that make?” She mused, laughing softly at herself. “I want to clean but I don't have a water bucket! I have a pale in the storage room back there. We can put some snow in it and set it on the roof – you can get to it from the window in my room upstairs. Hopefully the afternoon sun is warm enough to melt it.”

“But first... maybe you can start,” she said, laughter seasoning her words, “by getting me off the ground?” She chortled, embarrassed by her plight. Oh, of course she could get up if she made a show of it, but that would be worse than just asking for help. She held her hands up, hoping her would accept and give her a heave off the ground.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
He was not looking at her and his attention was off in his own thoughts for a moment. Then suddenly he snapped to, hearing the 'or we're tired..'. He turned his head towards her in a flash. His 'normal' look towards her was coming back. He was recovering from the touching incident.

"I have no intention of letting a pregnant wolf do any laborious work. No pack of wolves should allow it, either." He said somewhat bitterly. He knew nothing of her pack. He had a thought that she was a loner as well, just in a different way. Then he found himself wanting to hold her and letting her know she was not that alone. He wanted to comfort her and protect her.

He looked around as she mentioned putting a pal on the roof to melt snow.

"No fireplace of any sort in here?" He saw none and he assumed she would've mentioned it for the pal of water.

What a fool, he thought to himself. He was letting her sit on the ground. He showed no sign of making fun of her, or judging her about her being stuck on the ground. In fact, he seemed very understanding and had a strong desire to help her. He grabbed both her hands, at first too delicately. He still had a funny feeling when touching her, but this was a little different. He hoisted her up, doing his best to take all the work out of it for her. Although small, those lean stringy muscles still packed enough power to do quite a good job at hosting her and her parasites up.

He found himself gazing into her face and not releasing the grip right away. After catching himself he released and looked away embarrassed. He looked around for a broom. Spotting it on the ground, he went over and grabbed it. He began sweeping immediately.
[html]

Word Count → 400+

It seemed like the man was recovering and that much of his original demeanor was coming back. This made a soft smile play on her muzzle, as she was happy that whatever had bothered him seemed to no longer be an issue. He took her hands gently within his and pulled her up carefully, but Orin, enjoying a good game, could not resist the opportunity to play. He pulled with enough careful force to hoist her off of the ground, and she in turn pushed with her legs so she ended up getting some air, hopping off of the floor. She giggled as she did so. It was the sort of thing a child might enjoy.

The hop was a little one, though, and she landed softly and gracefully on her footpaws. She thought she detected some veiled meaning behind Argul's words, then, and her ears tipped back a bit. Not in anger, but in worry. “That's really nice of you, but I can't be relieved of all of my duties just because I'm pregnant. Trust me, it drives me nuts sometimes, too, just being told to sit around all the time. I won't do anything too hard, though. My pack wouldn't let me, either, which is why I'm pretty happy to get back to my bookstore, here.”

She watched as he retrieved the broom from the floor and began sweeping. Orin scurried over to the sales counter and leaned up against it. For all her lip service, she sure didn't have a problem standing there and watching him work. “I was a little sick when I was first pregnant. I didn't know I was pregnant until my healer friend, Alaine, came to visit and clued me in. So after that I wasn't even allowed to get out of bed. Everything was done for me. At first it was nice and all, but once I started feeling better it began to drive me crazy.”

“Anyway, Cercatori is a really good pack, actually. I think the only reason I was able to get away for a little while is because everyone else has their own repairs to worry about after the storm. And Sky and Shawchert needed some time to themselves without me gumming up the works.” She chuckled softly. “It's based on art, you know. Just about everyone in Cercatori is an artist.”

She cocked her head and arched a brow in inquiry. “Do you? Make art, that is? Or have a craft?”

<style>
</style>
[/html]
He found himself smilingly happily at her little play hop. He jerked unintentionally at first, not realizing she was just goofing. But much to his surprise, it did not anger him or make his temper flare, as it would have with others.

He smiled to himself as she relaxed, leaning on the counter. He found himself taking a few glances at her while he swept. He managed to pass it off as if he was paying attention to her, but rather he was admiring her and looking at her longingly.

Suddenly, as she was talking about her pack, he had a nagging desire to know who the father was of the pups. What pack and what father would leave a pregnant wolf in this condition. His mind became very defensive over her and he wanted to go after any to blame for her current condition. He even found a way to blame Niro, an assumption that she was raped, or the father of the pups died entered his mind and Niro should be helping his sister. His mind filled with assumptions, plots, theories, anger, hate and yet none of this seemed to pierce the radiating beauty that he saw when he looked at Orin.

"Art?" He looked at her and stopped sweeping. The question halted his thoughts, he was not expecting that. It wasn’t a hard question, but his mind was focused elsewhere and this came to him like a surprise. He almost forgot what art was and if he had any talents in the field. Flooding all back into his mind, he was finally able to answer.

“Yes, I suppose I do, though it’s not a traditional type of art. I am a leather crafter.” His eyes shifted down to his shoulder pads with two cross pieces of leather. The leather straps indented slightly into his chest fur, holding the shoulder pads in place on the tops of his shoulder. There was of course the intricate knife in its scabbard on one of the cross pieces. The leather was embossed with some nice swirly designs around the edge. The scabbard though was embossed with more loving care, and it was very obvious. The design was complicated and would have taken a long while to make. The leather used would be undeterminable to untrained eyes, and to most trained eyes. Untrained eyes would most likely just see another piece of weird leather though. A trained eye may question it.

His hand ran across one of the leather straps, lovingly. He looked up to her with a pride filled smile that quickly faded. He cocked his head slightly.

“What is your trade? Do you write?” He made a small wave with his hand around the place, acknowledging all the books.
[html]

Word Count → 332

A wide grin spread across her face when she noticed his gaze flick down to the intricate leather pieces he wore. She followed his gaze and took a second to study each piece, though her eye knew little more than to just appreciate that they were nice pieces of work. She waved a hand, “You made all this? That's amazing! I don't really do anything you can wear, and not really anything people appreciate much. At least I always thought so, though more people here in Cercatori are more interested in my writing than in my last pack.”

Her eyes turned to the rows of bookshelves and her smile never faded. She gave a nod, “Yep, you got me. I'm a writer. I love to read, therefor I love to write. That's why this bookstore was such an amazing discovery to me after I came to this pack. Been working on fixing it up ever since and hoping to slowly get more people interested in books. I understand the average Luperci doesn't have time for them, but any interest is good interest.”

She turned and walked casually toward one of the bookshelves, casting her golden eyes onto a row of books though she looked at them without focus.

“Cercatori would really appreciate a talent like yours,” she said without turning to look at him. “We have a lot of craft workers. The best part about being here is that supplies are pretty easy to get your hands on, since we collect and hoard them in abundance. You just have to know the right wolf.”

She idly pulled a book off the shelf and examined the cover. She turned around, an eyebrow arched in an expression that was half comical, half serious. “A man like you might like this place. You should think about shacking up here for a while, seeing if it's for you. I already know you'll like it. I could talk to Shawchert for you.”

<style>
</style>
[/html]
He smiled, guessing she had something to do with writing/books was way too obvious but he still felt good about guessing it right. Her voice was heavenly sounding to him, she talked a lot but he enjoyed every bit of it. He was just leaning upon the broom for now, enjoying the conversation with her. He still had a nagging feeling that he needed to retreat and not get caught up with a female, especially a pregnant one.

At the mention of her pack being able to use a talent like his, he cocked his head a bit. He immediately declined, mentally. But slowly he started changing his mind, all while starring right at her. After much internal contemplation he decided, for many reasons, he would indeed look into joining her pack.

"Orin, I think it is time I look into joining a pack. I have lived most my life as a loner, maybe it is time i enjoy the company of other wolves, especially ones who can share their crafts and supplies." His smile widened and seemed very genuine. He of course was not telling all.

"Shawchert is the leader, i take it? If you don't mind i would rather talk to him first. I will mention your name so they know, but i would prefer to introduce myself if that is ok with you? And after we finish this place up" His eyes swept over the place. They did not get much done yet and there was plenty to do. He started sweeping again, this time pushing the piles into one big pile by the door. A little wince of the face and limp of the leg every now and then as he stepped on his wounded leg wrong.

"I do not want to intrude, but if i am to consider joining this pack i would like to inquire on who your mate or who the father is to your soon to be born pups?" Some of the pleasantry in his voice left, though he tried his best to mask that. He did not look at her and acted as if he was busy sweeping when he asked this question.