[DND] The Storyteller
[html]
OOC: Feel free to enter with a bang. Wink
WC: 324 (+3)

Thornbury: a nice little town, a place with evil bushes, a refuge during snowstorms, and a home to several friendly - if not odd-looking - canines belonging to the pack of Cercatori d'Arte. Slade had only been in the pack for a little more than three months, and already he had some fond memories of the town. Time passed so quickly when one was enjoying life. This time, however, he had come not to be nostalgic but instead in search of a setting.

The imaginative coyote had come up with yet another story, and at this point in it he had sent the protagonist - none other than the brave and noble Jag Auctor, the coyote who Slade imagined his father to be - on a mission to certain death. However, Slade needed a setting that looked peaceful and unsuspicious, and he couldn't come up with one without making it dark and dreary. Instead he had resorted to traveling to Thornbury to get a good look at the town and use it as a basis for the next setting. As he looked around, he added his observations to his story.

He walked through the forest as it began to thin out, ears pricked and eyes alert for signs of life. He'd been told that the town was a savage place, but as he got a good look at it he wondered exactly who had called it wild in the first place. There were several houses, some made of stone and others made of dirt, not quite in the best condition but decent enough to live in. It was ordinary enough, and with the sunlight shining down on them the place hardly looked menacing.

Still, Jag knew better than to judge the place by its appearance. He had no idea if anyone was lurking in the shadows and spying on him, or if there were any demons hiding in the houses and plotting his downfall.

[/html]
[html]
Out of Character

Oh I will. I will. *evil laugh*

Mommy Valinta

"RAAAWR!!" Valinta shouted as she chased a hysterically giggling Gunnar. She was limping around the house when Gunnar yelped and said she looked like a monster. So Valinta had immediately told him of an old legend of people who would take the skins of mothers and use them to kidnap and eat their children. She then started to chase him around.

Probably not the best thing to tell a child that was discovered hiding under his dead mother's body, but oh well. The Russian woman would get her kicks while she was crippled however. And Gunnar knew it was just play; he wasn't scared at all.

So he had dashed out of the small house, and Valinta followed, shambling around in her monster limp. "I'm going to eeeeat yooooou...." she whispered to him when he was close enough to grab. The little boy yelped again and darted away with a quick burst of speed. Barely panting, as dancing had made her extremely fit, Valinta followed.

And the chase ended with her roar, as Gunnar ended up hitting a coyote of their pack, Slade Auctor. Valinta had rescued him from a bush and hadn't seen him since. Gunnar whined apologetically and slunk up to his mother's legs, and the woman picked him up.

"Hello Slade! I'm so sorry that Gunnar hit you, we didn't mean to intrude on you... Doing... Whatever it is you're doing..." What started as a confident apology trailed off into a mumble as she realized that Slade was staring off into space. Remembering what it was that he did in the pack, Valinta quickly assumed that he was thinking up a story. So she settled down, and sat Gunnar in his lap.

"Maybe," she whispered in his ear, "if you're good enough, Slade will tell you a story."

<style>
.mamabear p {padding:0px 20px 10px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.mamabear b {color:#2EBFD4;}
.mamabear-b {width:398px; border:1px solid #2EBFD4; margin:0px auto;}
.mamabear-header {font-family:verdana, serif; color:#2EBFD4; text-shadow:#ffffff 0px 0px 4px; float: right; margin:5px; text-transform:uppercase; font-size:17px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.mamabear-ooc {font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.mamabear {background-color:#FFFFFF; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #ffffff; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:15px; color:#ED989E; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:14px; width:400px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac30 ... 95_l-5.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 125px 0px; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]

OOC: Nice entrance, especially since Slade doesn't quite like puppies. XD
Assuming Valinta is in optime form?

Slade's story continued and went on as Jag explored the town and--oh sweet mother of coyotes, what the heck crashed into him? The effect was greatly exaggerated, as he hadn't been paying much attention to what was going on not far away, so deep in thought as he told his story inwardly, and he staggered to regain his footing.

All of this happened in seconds, and Slade couldn't help but look mindlessly forward for a moment, subconsciously aware of someone talking nearby, wondering what in the world had startled him so badly. When he finally shook his head quickly and turned to the culprit, he saw a black female and a puppy. No surprise there. Slade didn't exactly have the highest opinion of puppies, and whenever he felt the need to rant about them he was going to use this as a prime example.

It took a moment for him to recognize that the mother was Valinta LeStrange. She had saved him in the bush incident a while ago; the last time he had seen her was a quick glance during the snowstorm, when she was still pregnant. He glanced from her to the pup, wondering if this furball was her son. He would never understand why anyone would ever want to be constantly pestered by the giant fleas that were puppies. For the most of it they weren't smart enough to have a decent conversation, couldn't sit still, had a tendency to be whiny and loud, and amused themselves by smashing into strangers.

Slade could have mentally ranted about puppies until the sun came up in April, but he forced himself to drag his thoughts back to the situation, he spoke. "Hello, Valinta," His voice was casual enough, but his flattened ears, rigid stance and tail, and raised head clearly said otherwise. "This is your son?" He willed himself not to spit out the word or glare at the pup.

<style type="text/css">
.sladefreebe01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#bacdd6; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #000f3d; }
.sladefreebe01-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000f3d; text-align:center;}
.sladefreebe01 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.sladefreebe01 {margin:0 auto; width:460px; background-color:#527d96; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... slade1.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #bacdd6; padding: 180px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000f3d; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.sladefreebe01-border1 {width:462px; border:2px solid #527d96; margin:0 auto;}
.sladefreebe01-line1 {width:430px; border-bottom:1px dotted #527d96; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
#03+
[/html]
[html]

OOCtasties: Yeah, Vali doesn't really use any other form anymore. XD i thought her rawr would be funny. Hope you don't mind Gunnar's with her.

Valinta winced slightly when Slade gave Gunnar a less-than-happy look. It became obvious to her that he didn't really like puppies. Well. she thought. I'll have to change his mind, then. She smiled apologetically at the coyote in front of her when he turned to her.

"I'm really sorry about that, Slade." she said regretfully. "Gunnar doesn't usually do that. But we were playing... I was chasing him and he hit you running from me. It's my fault, I'm very sorry." The woman was completely serious. It was her fault. She had told Gunnar a scary story, then pretended to be a monster. Of course the little boy was going to run! Any sane child would!

"This is your son?" Valinta heard Slade's question and nodded vigorously. "I found him on the beach. His mother froze to death during the storm." The woman hoped against hope that he wouldn't ask about her pregnancy. It was a while ago, but still fresh and painful in her mind.

Gunnar, while Valinta was thinking about Gloria, was nodding. "Mother wanted me to be strong. She didn't eat so that I could." he said calmly. He, it seemed, also figured out Slade's opinion of puppies, and didn't like it. So instead of being the nice, bubbly pup he usually was, Gunnar was being extremely frosty to the coyote, something that surprised Valinta immensely.

<style>
.valintatable-b02 p {padding:0px 20px 10px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.valintatable-b02 b {color:#A09D7F;}
.valintatable-b02-b {width:430px; border:1px solid #A09D7F; margin:0px auto;}
.valintatable-b02-separator {text-align:center; margin:2px 0px; background-image:url(http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/ ... linta1.jpg); height:430px}
.valintatable-b02-ooc {font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; letter-spacing:.4px; font-style:italic; }
.valintatable-b02 {background-color:#E7E2B6; padding:0px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #A09D7F; font-family: times new roman, serif; font-size:15px; color:#B4B390; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:2px; line-height:12px; width:430px; text-align:justify; }
.valintatable-b02-footer {text-align:center; margin:2px 0px; background-image:url(http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b368/ ... linta3.jpg); height:120px}
</style>
[/html]
Table by Bumble.
[html]

OOC: I don't mind at all. Slade will get used to it.
Sorry for the little delay there; was eating supper.<.

Slade was surprised to hear that the puppy - Gunnar - was an orphan, but he didn't push the subject. He didn't really care about personal matters like why-on-earth-someone-would-want-to-have-puppies unless they directly concerned him, anyhow. He was somewhat confused at Gunnar's sudden 'mood swing' and wasn't used to hearing a puppy calling their parents 'Mother'. It was too formal coming from someone that young. Slade relaxed a bit; could it be that Gunnar was one of those rare puppies that actually had common sense? He had to admit that he might have been a bit - okay, very - naïve when he was younger, but that ship had sailed. Now he looked at Gunnar wish a sudden curiosity.

Remembering that Valinta had apologized, he turned his attention back to her. "All's fine with me so long as it doesn't happen again." He also recalled her saying something about 'whatever it is you're doing' and decided he might as well explain. "It just startled me. Was making up a story and all...." It was at this point that most storytellers offered to tell or explain their story. Slade, feeling the way he did about puppies and all, chose to stop his talk there. If Valinta or Gunnar were interested, they could ask him to explain, and even after that he would only do so if the hairball was on his best behavior.

It was partly because of the puppy, but there was another factor as to why Slade was reluctant to offer to tell his story: he had never really shared what went on in his imagination. The only one he had ever told his stories to in his lifetime was his mother, and even then she had smiled, nodded, told him he was a good storyteller but never really paid close attention to what he was saying. As he turned back to Gunnar, he wondered how he would feel telling his story to someone who might just listen.

<style type="text/css">
.sladefreebe01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#bacdd6; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #000f3d; }
.sladefreebe01-ooc {font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000f3d; text-align:center;}
.sladefreebe01 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.sladefreebe01 {margin:0 auto; width:460px; background-color:#527d96; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/ ... slade1.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #bacdd6; padding: 180px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000f3d; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12px; text-align:justify;}
.sladefreebe01-border1 {width:462px; border:2px solid #527d96; margin:0 auto;}
.sladefreebe01-line1 {width:430px; border-bottom:1px dotted #527d96; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
#03+
[/html]
[html]

Word Count → don't care

Out of character notes.

Gunnar returned the gaze that Slade gave him with one of frosty disinterest. The pup obviously didn't care whether he was liked or disliked by the coyote storyteller, as he sat in his mother's lap. Valinta looked at her son with a confused expression. Gunnar was normally a kind, happy pup. This frosty indiference was... different.

"It won't happen again, I promise." Valinta said solemnly. She was telling the truth, it wouldn't happen again. To him at least. The female would be moving to AniWaya with her son in tow in May. Slade was making up a story, though. That perked the woman's interest. Maybe, if she told him some of the Russian folktales (that Haley completely made up) she had grown up on, he would tell them his story?

"If it's not too much trouble...Could you tell us your story, Slade?" asked the ebony-furred female. She loved stories, and Slade's were usually very good.

<style>
.kfree-04 {margin:0px auto;width:450px;background-color:none;background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/km8Cx.png);background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:bottom;border:none;padding:0px;font-family:Georgia;font-size:12px;line-height:16px;text-align:justify;margin-top:10px;}
.kfree-04 .ooc {font-style:italic;font-size:11px;line-height:15px;text-align:center;margin:2px;text-indent:0px;}
.kfree-04 .ooc b {font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;}
.kfree-04 .divider {border-bottom:1px dotted;}
.kfree-04 p {text-indent:20px;margin:0px;padding:5px 10px;}
.kfree-04 b {font-weight:bold;letter-spacing:1px;}
.kfree-04 i {font-style:italic;letter-spacing:1px;}
.kfree-04 u {font-style:italic;text-decoration:none;font-variantConfusedmall-caps;border-bottom:1px dotted;letter-spacing:1px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
OOC: Feel free to skim over the black parts.
WC: 486

Slade couldn't help but smile a bit when he was asked to share his story. Even if he wasn't used to it and even if his first audience was a puppy who was still giving him the cold stare which he often returned, he supposed that he really wouldn't mind sitting down and talking for a short while. "Sure." He sat down; they would be here for a while. "This is a story my adoptive mother told me about the father I never knew." Which was a lie. Slade had actually told his mother this story, not the other way around, but it sounded more reliable if he said it originated in an adult's mouth. Still, he didn’t want to be a complete fraud, so he added, "But I added my own little twist on it." Clearing his throat, he began his story back at the beginning.

The story begins in a forest not much unlike that of Cercatori d'Arte's, which is only a few steps away. While our pack's forest is mostly peaceful, the story's wood isn't nearly as quiet.

A full moon made the woods look bright, maybe cheerful, but that was far from the mood of Jag Auctor. He was a coyote, who looked a lot like yours truly only taller, and at this point in the story he was only a year old. His golden-colored eyes were wide as he barreled through the forest, charging off the obvious paths and through the undergrowth. He ducked every so often, getting his timing just right; every time he did an arrow whizzed over his head and struck the tree in front of him.

"Get back here!" came furious screams. There was a large group of luperci right on his tail, some of them running with daggers and the rest stopping occasionally to, with one swift movement, place an arrow in their bowstring, aim, and fire.

"Why should I go back," Jag panted, "if you're trying to kill me?" And of course he didn't get an answer.

The deeper he went, the more he slowed his pursuers down, but he was also finding it hard to get through. The trees were getting closer together, and the undergrowth was thick and somewhat thorny; he discovered this the hard way when a sharp pain shot through his front left leg. With a startled yelp he collapsed, falling forward. He closed his eyes; this was the end, he was undoubtedly dead.

Here Slade paused, partly for dramatic effect and partly to see if either mother or son were interested enough for him to continue. He had to admit, he was doing a pretty good job, adding detail he didn't normally include when he narrated only to himself. Besides, he was really starting to enjoy this storytelling thing. He'd have to make a hobby out of it once, if ever, he got used to puppies.
[/html]