as i lay, beaten and broken
[html]
ooc;; <333

Everybody had heard about the promotion for Nayru- her jump to Gamma that she had so rightly earned. The shuffle in the ranks was delivered personally by Conor, or in the case of a pack meeting it was done then. Conor had sought him out to tell him he would be moving him up to Theta and Saul had nearly burst. Of course, it was nothing like the pride he'd felt when Nayru had been moved to Gamma. The female most certainly deserved it. And Saul was yet to see her to congratulate her on this most recent jump. It was early morning, the spring sun just coming over the horizon. Saul had always been an early riser and his compulsory morning run was something that he could not, and perhaps would not, flush out of his system. Despite now living with Siku, Saul still managed to rise each morning, bathe in the spring that was just a hundred paces from his back door, and dry himself on a tour of the lands.

Siku was a wonderful room mate, even if she did sneak into his bedroom most nights and curl up next to him. This wasnt the normal behaviour of friends, but Saul was mostly ignorant to this. Both he and Siku only saw their relationship as friendship and in their eyes that was how it was going to stay. For now. She accepted his weird quirks even if it did wake her up in the mornings. This morning had been no different- the customary stretch that announced Saul's wakings and the now familiar comfort of the white bulk next to him. He'd playfully stood on Siku's tail as he exited this morning, eliciting a funny squeal from the white female. He'd chuckled befpore scarpering out of the door.

The mutli-coloured fur over his body was still damp as he curved east from Oberons Spring. He'd never actually been to Nayru's house before, but he was sure he could find it. Creamy whites blended to peppery greys and touches of black, easing out to browns around his face. All darkened by the spring water he had rolled in this morning. Still, black nose twitched constantly, seeking out the most recent path Nayru had taken to her house. He found it quickly and within a few minutes the greenhouse was in sight. Approaching, the young Theta gave a soft huff before calling out.

"Nayru... Are you there?"

He called, shifting up into his optime form so that he could tap softly on the glass of the greenhouse. He hadnt seen his friend in a while and he wondered how she was doing.

word count;; 442

"speech"

[/html]
[html]

The ivory and ebony patched woman had already been up and about that morning. Before dawn had even greeted them she had awoken, caught herself a small rabbit breakfast while also making the rounds of the eastern edges of the pack lands. Nayru knew this was technically no longer her duties, but the eastern edges were quieter and she did not mind. It saved the others from making the trip out towards her end when they all lived their lives closer to Wolfville and Berwick. She would start where the sea met the shore and go as far as half way to Berwick, when the scents of the others told her that recently someone had come through and made sure all was well. Then she would turn back and get on with other tasks.

Still she was trying to restore some of the plants she had lost when the ceiling had fallen down on her, most of them had died in the coldness that seeped into her glass house before her and Farore had patched the roof. Now the warmth had returned to the greenhouse, but the greenness was gone. Surely her and Siku could fill it once spring allowed the plants outside to flourish, and for now she tried to plants seeds she had saved. She went from pot to pot of seemingly just soil and watered them all, taking note of the few that pushed a small stem up out of the dirt. When she encountered these she smiled, knowing that even after disaster life could flourish and it gave her great pride to be part of that.

It was this task she was engaged in, barely aware that the sun had indeed risen and was shinning in on her. So absorbed she did not hear the footfalls outside and it was a voice and a tap at the glass that alerted someone else was in the gardens. Turning she could make out the figure of Saul, and she smiled through the glass panels at him and moved swiftly to the door, pushing it open. Outside was warmer than it had been in the previous weeks and she did not mind holding it open as she beckoned him inside with one hand. ”Saul! How does this morning find you, my friend?” She laughed and moved the hand she waved at him with to her head, unconsciously touching the stitches there, as she often did. Nose twitching and taking in the spring air and the scent of her friend, she waited for him to approach and enter her home, no words needed to make the invitation obvious.

<style type="text/css">
.nayr b {font-weight:bold; color:#c28085; letter-spacing:1px; }
.nayr .ooc { font-style:italic; color:#ffffff; padding-top:350px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.nayr p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px; color: #080202}
.nayr {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#821212; background-image:url(http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae20 ... /nayru.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:10px; color:#0F475F; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>

[/html]
[html]
ooc;; <333

He was lucky that Nayru was in and not out patrolling the borders. It would have been just his luck to come and try and find her and her not be here. Saul gave a soft smile towards the contrasting female as she straightened from watering the buckets of mud she had been concentrating on. He really hoped that one day Nayru and Gideon realised they just might have feelings for one another. It would make both of their lives much easier it seemed. Still, Saul wasnt one to mess with the lives of others so he left it alone. If they wanted to dance around it until kingdom come, so be it. He grinned softly as she opened the door to her greenhouse and greeted him with enthusiasm.

"Very well, Nayru. And you?"

He returned as she guestured for him to enter. It appeared a lot of Nayru's greenhouse had been destroyed during the snowstorm but she'd managed to patch it up okay. And his quick green eyes saw the small shoots of various plants coming through on some of the pots of mud. It seemed she hadnt been crazy then. Saul crouched down for a moment to look at one of them, wondering what it would become when the summer sun shone bright through the glass of the greenhouse and forced flowers and maybe fruits out of the end. Maybe he would come back and see what her little shoots had produced. He straightened up and as he did so, critical green eyes found her touching the badly done stitchs on the top of her head.

"Oh Nayru... what on earth happened to you? Who stitched you're head like that?"

It was very clear to him that the stitches needed to come out and the wound properly cleaned. He was looking around for appropriate scissors and cleaning materials as he spoke. He might have to take her back to the Cabin for proper treatment if she had no sufficient items here.

word count;;

"speech"

[/html]
[html]

As when anyone entered her home for the first time Nayru watched the wandering eyes of her guest. They fell on the pots and buckets of mud and soil and the gamma wished that Saul had seen her plants in their prime. Before the winter had broken into her home and killed them all. The pretty blossoms that had colored the green house had quickly turned brown and the fresh herbs that had scents the air froze and became useless. Yet Nayru knew the emerald eyed man was clever enough to see the potential, and with Siku growing such an interest in plants as she was, perhaps his roommate would describe what the greenhouse had looked like before the awful storm had hit. And what it would look like once again, in the summer after they all had had time enough to heal.

It was only his eyes wandered up to her head that she became aware that she was once again fingering her wound. Or what had been a wound, and now mostly healed but had become infected. Whether it was just always in the back of her mind or the slight itch from the infection drove her to touch it constantly and unconsciously Nayru did not know, but she wished she could break herself of the habit for it was truly one of the few aspects of her own life she was not in control of. ”The ceiling fell on my head.” Her eyes moved to the panel above them, the one made of wood and not glass and obviously put up to replace the glass that had fallen down. “My sister did this. Her and Gideon were the ones who found me.” Although she could not remember, Farore had filled her in and Nayru was simply grateful that anyone at all had been there. The woman could have bled to death and it was simply luck that had caused both sister and best friend to seek her own at the moment.

“She did the best she could.” Why she made such excuses for Farore, she wasn’t sure, but Nayru did not wish for Saul to think lowly of the woman he had not met. Farore had been allowed to stay by Conor, and she did so bitterly, more for Nayru’s benefit than anything else. Farore would not leave without her sister, and Nayru would not leave. They were at a stalemate and Farore at times could come across as inapt and ungrateful because of this. ”It doesn’t bother me too much.” The words were smooth and covered her lie far more easily than she had expected, and yet the swelling and pussy infection was the clear indicator that Nayru was downplaying the issue.

<style type="text/css">
.nayr .ooc { font-style:italic; color:#ffffff; padding-top:350px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.nayr {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#821212; background-image:url(http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae20 ... /nayru.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:10px; color:#0F475F; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>

[/html]
[html]
ooc;; <333

He could see the swelling now, the raised lump on her head that should have gone down. He didnt know why he hadnt noticed it when he first came in- it had taken the ebony and alabaster female's subconscious scratching for him to look up and notice. He almost scolded himself- he should be observant and critical in every sweep he took of every member he saw. If one of them had an illness or an injury that they didnt know about, it was up to him to spot it. Still, he couldnt catch everything and he wasnt the pronounced Apothecary just yet. Analytical mind washed through the list of herbs that would get rid of swelling and infection. He needed to remove the stitches first and would need sterilised scissors for that. He had most of these things back at his house, but didnt know how Nayru would feel about the short trip. She spoke, explaining his incredulously asked question.

"That was a long time ago Nayru! You should have sought medical help by now..."

He chastised her, sounding for all intents and purposes like a worried father. He moved forward, creamy hands moving to part the hair properly and take a better look. At the slight shift in skin a small well of puss made itself known. If she left this longer, the acidic infection could make its way into her brain and do some serious damage there. With their close proximity Saul almost didnt hear her defensive tone of her sister. Thinking about it now, Farore's work had saved Nayru's life. It had been Nayru's ignorance that had caused the infection. With a sigh he stepped back and looked down at her.

"I know Nay... She saved your life. And we're all very grateful for that!"

He offered, desperately trying to get a grip on what needed to be done. She seemed to be on the defensive quite a lot as she said it didnt bother her. A snort echoed on Saul's nose as he looked down at her in disbelief. She had been itching it and moving to try and soothe it. It was obviously bothering her. Saul shook his head softly and moved back another step, green eyes sweeping around her green house.

"Well its bothering me and when it gets worse it will definitely bother you. Do you have anything medical here or are you willing to accompany me back to the cabin?"

A small part of his brain said Nayru hadnt seen his house yet. And the other part was racing hard, flitering through all the medical knowledge he had aquired in the past few months of reading. He was going to make her better, there was no doubt about that.

word count;;

"speech"

[/html]
[html]

The younger male scolded her and her light sweet laughter answered his concern. He was neither her superior in age or rank but this simple face only amused her for the shortest of moments. It seemed he was not angry at Farore, but disappointed in her and he had every right to be. What would Conor have thought if he saw how bad her infection had become? And yet, it did not pain her so greatly. So independent and always alone, it simply hadn’t crossed her mind to seek out help and Farore had not encouraged her to. Her snow colored sister had probably not realized how badly the wound was healing and neither had she, yet wasn’t it part of her responsibility to care for herself so she could care for the others? In this way she was letting them all down.

At his gentle touch she felt both a slight pain in the wound and also a rush of warmth. It was so rare that anyone touched her, Gideon was the only one who ever made a habit of outwardly showing her affection and the boy had been missing since her injury. When he withdrew his hand she turned cherry eyes up at the taller man. ”I am sorry, I have been so busy acclimating to my new duties and reacquainting myself with Farore. I did not mean to let it go unattended for so long.” And yet if Saul hadn’t come today, how much longer would she have waited? Possibly too long.

Nayru looked about slowly, trying to answer his question. The greenhouse seemed bare and empty aside from the empty pots and her own belongings. Bringing her ankle up and her arm down, she unsheathed the dagger Saluce had crafted for her. It was always kept clean, but perhaps not completely sterile. Yet it had been the only tool available when Farore had stitched her and had actually been the tool to carve holes into her head so the crude twine could pull her skin flaps together again. “I only have this.” She answered softly and shrugged. All her herbs had perished when the winter wind and snow seeped. Nayru knew that Saul would not be content with so little and before he could ask moved towards the door, sure he wouldn’t wish to waste any time. “We can go to your cabin. I don’t mind.”

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]

ooc;; <333

Her small laugh at his chastising her made Saul smile for the moment. It was nice to feel at least a little normal, despite the obvious dip that Dahlia had found itself in. They were low on numbers, high on land that needed to be patrolled regularly. Still, her small giggle in the face of his stern telling off made everything seem just a little brighter. He could see the momentary flicker of pain in her ruby depths as he'd gently touched the wound. It was quite obviously hurting her more than she was letting on. Inwardly he sighed, thinking of marigold for its antiseptic qualities. Cinnamon ears rose once more as she spoke, trying to justify the infection on her head. With a ton somewht akin to a peeed off universiy professor with a misbehaving student, Saul glanced down at her again.

"Yes well, its just a good job I found you today. Any longer and it might have caused some serious damage."

He altered his tone just slightly, injecting tones of warmth to let her know that he really was concerned about her. Thinking of various poulticies to place on her head after he'd removed the stitches and cleaned away the wound he was startled as she whipped out a dagger. A rather crude instrument he woul admit and he doubted it was lean. He would rather take her back to the cabin and treat her there. She would be his first serious case- Ever's strained wrist had been easy to deal with. Still, a chuckle was given as even Nayru admitted that it wasnt the best tool. Accepting his offer to come back to the cabin, Saul led the way.

"I havent seen you in forever Nayru... How are you?"

He of course meant other than the large infected wound on her head. He didnt know she'd met Siku and had sparked a green finger in his white princess. Still, it would be nice to catch up with the black and white female while they made the short journey back to the cabin to patch her up properly.

<style>
.saul-q32 .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.saul-q32 p {padding:2px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.saul-q32 b {color:#2A2E1A; letter-spacing:-.2px; }
.saul-q32 {background-color:#CFDF97; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010dec/saul.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#737F4B; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:450px; text-align:justify; padding:215px 0px 10px 0px; }
.saul-q32-border {width:454px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; margin:0 auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

The man still seemed concerned, even after she consented to allowing him to treat her. Nayru knew that an infection might develop, and it had, but she washed it went she thought about it and it hadn’t worried her much. Ye the tone Saul took told her that perhaps she should have been worried about it. “What kind of further damage?” Her question came softly, slowly as if she asked it only to make conversation, but her eyes were bright and curious and she seemed then more like the child she had been than the adult she was now. What if? How? How come? Why? What then? The questions lined up on her tongue but she swallowed them done, content to know what other ailments might arise from an untreated head wound.

The girl followed him dutifully. Although the patchwork woman had an idea where Saul lived she had never entered into his home before. Never been invited over. Although she had never brought him to her green house before today either. It was strange to think how intimately she knew Gideon, and even though she loved his siblings just as much the comfortable closeness wasn’t always there. Surely she could tell Saul most anything he asked, and she knew that she could rely on him if ever the need arose, but he wasn’t Gideon and they did not visit each other’s homes or sleep in each other’s beds or share secrets and jokes that no one else knew. “I’ve been alright. Aside from this injury. My sister has been keeping me busy, though I’ve been trying to figure out just what Conor expects of me now.” Her life had changed so drastically from the time of the accident, from her sister’s arrival, from the promotion from Conor. And yet it still felt so similar, so very much the same. Still, as before, she was striving only to please the others. To better their lives, because in turn it would better her’s. “What about you? Any news to share?”

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]