horses
Hun, it is highly unlikely you are going to find a horse that is time and unbroken. An unbroken horse's natural instinct is to run. Though when pushed into a corner they will bite and kick. It is with the breaking that horses are made tame. Cause you are quite literally breaking their wild spirit and going against their natural instincts.
He's not really tame, Io has gotten him to allow contact and thats it, he can't be ridden.
I hope you spent weeks on it. It takes awhile. After all there is a horse guide on the RP Guide that has a link to a detailed account of breaking a horse.
Not really, I ride horses not break them so I have no idea, and I'm just to 'meh' to do anything horse related right now XD. Wait why are we talking about breaking horses anyway? I need threads XD

Okay so I've edited the post so the horse just about tolerates being on a rope, but if he was touched he would go berserk.
It's worth pointing out discrepancies in realism anywhere they occurs, even if the point of the thread is supposed to be a request. ^^;

Stallions especially can be very aggressive, and taming/breaking one so quickly isn't realistic -- I'm pretty sure we covered this with J'adore's captured horses. Please do read the horse guide as soon as you can. :3 It states plainly in the first paragraph that the only horses found in Nova Scotia are hardly larger than ponies -- Io would not have captured a "huge" horse in Nova Scotia.

Perhaps, instead of a wild horse, she encountered a trader headed north from Freetown with a spare horse? It would afford you the opportunity to have a tamed, ride-able horse immediately, without the delay of taming, training, breaking, etc., and it would provide a realistic backstory as to how the horse was tamed with little exertion of effort on your part as to actually training the horse, though I highly, highly suggest a period of tension/unease between Io and Neo, as it would take some time for horse and owner to get used to one another.

Annnnyway, I promoted this on Twitter so hopefully you'll generate some interest. Big Grin
Sorry, totally off topic, but a tame and unridable horse is very common. The most common are miniature horses because there's just no great prodigy child trainer, so they're never broken and thats why there are such horror stories about kids and ponies and why ponies are such brats and why ponies are harder to train (because sticking a full size person on his back would break the ponies back). But horses like this exist too. Sure, you can pet it, hug it, and love on it, even hop on it's back, just don't expect it to go anywhere, or any place you intend. They'll still do their horse-y thing, but you can't tell it to "giddyup" so-to-say. Or left or right for that matter.

To clarify, there is a term, Green Broke. This, for example, means that you can put a halter on him, but he is "unrideable". But this doesn't mean no one can ride him. It means that someone else has to lead him from the halter while you're on his back. Also, stallions are perfectly easy to tame, not so to ride. Keep in mind that not all stalllions are hot and wild, quite a few are mellow. Keep in mind too that age plays a big part in taming a horse or any animal. Old ones are set in their ways and could take years of trust building. Foals, yearlings, even two year olds are very easy to impress upon. Remember each horse is an individual and is unique. Should look at horse adoption agencies, most of them are tame, but not broke, or green broke at most. I adopted on from Animali. Also, look at stallion development. Most don't get "stallion-ish" until way after they're balls drop -ahem-, which is usually between two and three years (which is why vets say decide to geld or not geld before his third birthday.

Also helpful: to technically be a pony or pony sized, he must be under 15.2 hands high (thats at the withers, where the neck connects to the back). But just because he's 15.2 hh at the most, doesn't mean he can't still be "huge". All stallions get stocky and lots of muscle and a thicker crest. Just because he's short doesn't mean he won't become built like Swarzenegger-horse. Look up quarter horses. They can either be slim and tall, or short and muscle-y (depending because a LOT of people breeded quarters to Thoroughbreds). The stockier side can often be 5.2, or taller or shorter. ALSO, there are lots of herds of quarter horses in canada. That's where Animali gets most of theirs.

Just thought you should know before you started thinking you should revise your character. I hope this has been hopefull, and if any explaination is needed, do not hesitate to ask. I happen to know wa-ay too much about horses and cats... heheh...

<3 Vyx the Horse Trainer
Right I shall edit tge post but for now i'd prefer if we stuck to thread offers because this is becoming a discussion.
Vyx -- That's absolutely true for humans! Unfortunately, Luperci are wolves and wolves are predators, and any wild horse would view a Lupus form wolf or even an Optime form wolf as a predator. ^^ Luperci still smell like wolves, look like wolves, and act like wolves, so the horses would would spook, panic, and run away, even if they would act tamely toward a human, who are decidedly less predatory in appearance and actions toward horses. Most canines, after all, would have still viewed horses as prey and treated them as such until some smart Luperci figured out that they actually make good draft animals. :3

Rose -- Easily split from your thread request. :3 You don't have to edit your original post in the Thread Requests forum nor are you required to participate in any continued discussion here, but do keep what we are discussing in mind here when you actually begin roleplaying with Neo. Thanks!
Sorry, was editing my last post.

Yes, forgot that angle. While I totally agree with wolves viewing horses as prey and horses seeing them as predators, this is not true for all canine. Think of herding dogs and carriage dogs, like dalmatians, that have been around for centuries. It's become instinctual for dalmations to work with horses and vice versa. Coyotes are a different story, though only foals are afraid of them as they're too small to pose a serious threat. Most horses are like "I can stomp you". Also, to horses, humans are predators too. You have to act like fellow herd prey to get close to skiddish horses still. And, thought this would be useful, equine have a mentality annd brains of a two year old.
I suppose it's easy to forget that we play canines, sometimes ^_^
[html]Yeah, honestly my only point was that you can have a tame and unrideable horse. Even if horses don't like wolves, it's still possible.[/html]
Except they stated it to be large... miniature horses quite simply aren't large. A horse of the caliber that was wanted wouldn't freely let someone just run up and pet it.
Depending on the circumstances, it very well might. I've seen a lioness raise an antelope. Large horses become so with time. Problem is that tall horses aren't local. Also, having it mini or a pony would be a good reason to not train it to ride. basically have an equine pet.
Okay so ima just butt in here like so--
I have two horses. A 15 year old who will do what ever I say and a 3 year old stallion who loves to throw me off.
I've had my stallion since he was 1 and without a saddle on him he is the sweetes thing ever. I have even taking a nap with him out in our pasture. But with saddle on, he's beast and throws me off every chance he gets. This meaning that even after years and years of me training him myself, he still is only green broke (Hardly even that. He likes to rear up and step on the peoples heads thats leading him. Asss) I have ridden him though and he's a great horse. As long as I ride him bareback with a hack not a bit. With that one he does what ever I say. With a saddle on I can only get so far before he throws me off. He always comes back and give me the"Duuuudeee are you okay" kinda look.

So I have now forgoten what I was trying to proveSad I think it was something about that you can have a great relationship with a horse and still not beable to ride him with a saddle on him back. Yeah that was itSmile

Oh and Vyx- My dog has raised kittens, bunnys, a deer (and she's my catch dog for deer huntingSmile and I think she was protective over my pet bird once who had 1 leg. Big Grin
Okay first off I am sick and tired of the wolves are predators argument. Humans are predators too people. You city slickers may not realize this but to wild, unhumanized horses humans would be more of a omgwtfisthat to a horse than a wolf would be to. Not to mention that a horse probably doesn't fall under too much predation in the wild. They are herd animals for one. Deer and elk are too, but typically smaller herds and its easier to find one separated from the herd. Horses can bite and do. Elk, deer, bovine do not bite, they can't as they only have lower teeth in the front of their mouths making their bite rather ineffective (hence you see more antlers and horns in those species). Most attacks seen on horses are cougars and bears. Horses would be a last resort prey imo. Basically yes, if a wolf attempted to approached a wild horse yes it would run away, as it would with a human. Just seeing one though it would be alert and avoid but not necessarly vacate the area just because they saw a wolf or they would spend all day running. But the fact that we are rping wolves and not humans is not quite the large factor you people seem to think it is. It all comes down to what the horse is acclimated to.

In fact studies have proven that healthy wolves stick to their natural prey animals and typically its loners and injuries/disadvantaged wolves that end up going after livestock. Horses are an introduced species to this continent there for not really in the spectrum for a typical wolf meal.

Now as far as taming a wild horse, if you interested in that for your character you need to read up on wild mustang adoption and what people have to go through there. Many people will have these horses for years and may never be able to get their hands on them. What it would come down to is you would have to teach the horse that running away, its natural response, will NOT get rid of you. This can be achieved by using a round pen and running the horse round and round. Typically when spooked a horse will run for, I think, a quarter mile before it stops to see if its still being chased. (i learned this at a horse training seminar) so the strategy is to basically run the horse until it gives up and faces you. I've seen it done and I've used the method though these were not wild horses just more skittish and unbroken. This process would have to be repeated daily for weeks. It takes approx. 90 days of near daily riding to brake a horse past what I consider the green stage. In my book, a green broke horse means it need an experienced and capable rider, not for novices. That not even including time to tame a wild horse.

Vyx: leading a green horse with someone its back or even the first time with a saddle is dangerous! Many horses will jump or hop the first few steps and crush whoever is leading them :l

Best bet for getting a horse in souls would be to get one from Aniwaya or CdM since they have breeding population of horses already accustomed to luperci. I would assume that foals born in those packs are imprinted close to birth. Imprinting is the concept of like the chick that thinks the first animal it sees is its mother.

For catching a wild horse most likely it would be a very very long and drawn put process of using a horses natural curiosity to make it come and check you out rather than chasing it down, covering it, choking it down and dragging it to where you intend to keep it. Halter breaking a full grown, wild horse would be Omg hard.

I broke horse for a few years and have been around them all my life, been riding since I can remember, age 4 I think?
Dogs and wolves are completely different animals, however. I know people tend to compare them, but a dog and a wolf raised within the same control will behave differently. Nova showed this in a special where some Norwegian (HMMMM) laboratory is trying to prove how domestication in dogs occurred. Wolves behave very differently even if separated from an adult wolf and raised by humans. They do not have the same instincts in them that we have bred into dogs. That lioness with the antelope also lost a cub, from what I recall, and that overrides the instinct of pretty much everything else. ^^

I'm well aware that humans are the apex predators for all animals, but we're not discussing humans, we're talking about wolves within an RPG game behaving as humans. A wolf is still a wolf, and a horses' natural instinct unless they were raised by wolves from birth will be "omg run away". We have a lot of packs that have domesticated horses within them, but the notion of finding one in the wild that would respond is unrealistic. I'd certainly point to one of the other packs in order to get a horse, that way the issues we've had with magical taming/roping/ect. can be resolved.
@Gabriel: Yeah, the Russians already did it when they domesticated the silver fox. And you're quite right about the antelope and lioness. The point was instead of taking care of the other lion cubs, or just moving on, she raised a prey animal && that the antelope was not raised from birth but it still worked out.

@Anann: You're very right about a lot of what you say, but you really should remember that age and individual personality is a large factor. I've delt with a lot of stomping horses, but I've never been jumped on. Of course, the leader with the rope should 1, know the animal and it's tendencies as well as what it will do, wont do, and might do and 2, should never be someone unexperienced with horses. I haven't been working with horses nearly as long, but I did work with mustangs shipped down from canada. These were untamed equines, but the young ones still venture forth. That's age. It doesn't need to be born in human hands, just introduced to humans sometime before they are no longer yearlings. We used a different method that works on all livestock (sheep and cattle mainly) and I've even used it to get close to a steer. I didn't have to chase him, he only took two steps back. He didn't charge either. Basically, what is a major difference between hunters and prey? Most prey have eyes on the side of their head and hunters in the front. The trick we used was to never actually look at the animal, instead relying on side vision (cant think of how to spell the word atm) and walk softly, yet not toward the animal, but side ways. Seem alert, as he/she is, for potential danger. Works every time.

Sie already put in about what the local equines are.
Quote: It states plainly in the first paragraph that the only horses found in Nova Scotia are hardly larger than ponies
now, its totally possible to have a horse "pony-sized". Many Arabians fall into this size. Now, I think that the size of the horse is really off topic. It takes two seconds to erase horse and type pony. "Huge stallion" does not mean "tall stallion" it just means big. I don't know about the rest of you, but I picture "huge" as "thick". Thick bulky muscles, thick neck crest. If I'm not clear enough, Think of two horses the exact size, and by size i mean height. Now one's an Arabian and the other is a Quarter of the stocky type.

[html]

[/html]

The pictures are mere references.

I think the main issue is if its possible to have a tame yet unbroke horse, not the size of the horse or whether its a pony.
QUOTE (Layla @ Mar 30 2011, 01:54 PM)
We used a different method that works on all livestock (sheep and cattle mainly) and I've even used it to get close to a steer. I didn't have to chase him, he only took two steps back. He didn't charge either. Basically, what is a major difference between hunters and prey? Most prey have eyes on the side of their head and hunters in the front. The trick we used was to never actually look at the animal, instead relying on side vision (cant think of how to spell the word atm) and walk softly, yet not toward the animal, but side ways. Seem alert, as he/she is, for potential danger. Works every time.

[/quote]
*gives Vyx a brownie* I soo meant to mention that too. It also help to turn your back to them or look away while trying to break them to lead as well.

Yea I didn't have time to get into age. Yearling is a good cut off age for taming imo, if SA felt such a rule was necessary. Although depending on the personality I think you could almost go til four. It seems like most my horses have come out of what I consider adolescent age at around four. 3 yrs is like the terrible twos in the horse world. In my experience anyways. It the age where you are far enough along in training that they really start to see what they can get away with.
QUOTE (Layla @ Mar 30 2011, 01:44 AM)
Also helpful: to technically be a pony or pony sized, he must be under 15.2 hands high (thats at the withers, where the neck connects to the back). But just because he's 15.2 hh at the most, doesn't mean he can't still be "huge". All stallions get stocky and lots of muscle and a thicker crest. Just because he's short doesn't mean he won't become built like Swarzenegger-horse. Look up quarter horses. They can either be slim and tall, or short and muscle-y (depending because a LOT of people breeded quarters to Thoroughbreds). The stockier side can often be 5.2, or taller or shorter. ALSO, there are lots of herds of quarter horses in canada. That's where Animali gets most of theirs.
[/quote]
It's clear you know a lot about horses, but I was wondering where you got the 15.2 figure? I've owned and showed horses for over ten years and as far as I know every major breed standard (I saw major because I've only show stock horses, arabians, and TBs) is 14.2 to be a pony. 15.2 is just under the average height of many stock horses. It would be like saying every person under the height of 5'3" is a legal midget.

Also, (just throwing it out there if Rose is really set on befriending a horse in the wild) why not have the stallion be incapacitated when Io stumbles on him? Perhaps he has a broken leg and can't physically get away from her (of course I'm sure he'd still fend her off with bites and the like). While the horse is staggering around with a broken leg Io could erect a crude fence to keep him in and eventually befriend him. A horse with a badly broken leg isn't going to be able to jump a barrier no matter how freaked out he is. If the break is a compound fracture, he wouldn't even be able to to escape her (he could walk at a painfully slow pace at best). It seems logical enough to me that she would have time enough to use some cords to erect a pasture around a group of trees, especially if she had help (and doesn't she travel with a companion?). Anyway, just throwing that out there. =] I understand where all of you are coming from with the idea that it would be impossible but I think if we put our minds together it wouldn't be too hard for Rose to get the horse in the way she originally intended. =] Afterall, many things on the RPG are pretty inaccurate--it's what makes it so fun!

I have to pee. 0_0
The thread was edited ages ago. People just seem set on discussing this more :|