As I Rise
[html]
Weeee.

Dawn had barely broken when they met halfway between Dahlia de Mai and Phoenix Valley, bee-lining between the claimed lands of Anathema and Inferni. Now, hours later as they climbed the steep slope of the mountain, the sun bore down on them and Nayru turned cherry eyes to the sky, trying to determine how long she had been absent from Dahlia de Mai. The pack was in capable hands, those of Saluce and Saul, and while she had no real worries even her mind and heart were with the Dahlians. And yet, as she trailed along behind Razekiel Lykoi there was no hesitance. For every long stride the taller creature took, she made two quick steps to keep up, lung filling with the fresh mountain air and eyes soaking in the foreign sights of the mountain side.

Already it was as the man had described and they hadn't even reached the other side. Tranquil and serene, the mountain seemed a world far removed from that she knew in Dahlia. The chirping of the birds seem more chipper, the rustle of the undergrowth more mysterious, and the sky even seemed more vibrantly blue than the sky she had left behind. Whether that was possible or if the romanticism Razekiel spoke of was simply filling her mind with false ideas Nayru didn't know. Whatever the cause of these increased sensations, the atmosphere put her in high spirits and when the man looked back at her the girl grinned up at him, as if to silently but politely ask if they were almost there yet.

[/html]
[html]

WHOOSH!

The two had met at an appropriate hour and set out early, traveling in such a way and direction that Nayru insisted they take to avoid Inferni and Anathema irritation. Razekiel clearly lacked the trepidation of such places she possessed, but that was only natural: The coyote was a man of peace, and thus he believed that all others around him shared in the same. If they did not provoke such packs, they would not be provoked; besides, most of Inferni was family to him, different as they might be, and he had utmost confidence they would not bring harm to one of the matriarch's eldest sons, especially one as non-threatening as he.

Every so often on their trek he would enlighten her with the countless stories he had collected in his time in Juniper; the times he'd loved Ocean Flower till the early dawn, the birth of his children, the places they'd seen, Sage's first words, China's love for the shape of poison ivy leaves, the time the infant Micah had sat on a bee and consequently stung in the ass by it. He spoke of nights beneath the stars and days beneath the great sunny sky. He spoke of the French pack, Aube de Musique, with whom he had spent so much recent time. He spoke of the mountains and valleys he was leading her to, the Buddhist temple hidden away in Halcyon, the great wonders of the long-lost New Glasgow. With fantastically enthusiastic arm-waving and a smoking joint in his teeth, he spoke with great excitement, as if he'd lived a full life already and yet had barely gotten started at it.

He recognized the mountain's peak as they neared it, and with one deep breath of that fresh mountain air, the coyote turned a hazy grin to the two-toned alpha. "All right, Miss Liberty, take a deep breath and c'mon," Razekiel chuckled, then rushed ahead of her, racing the short distance to the mountain's climax ahead of her. The wind picking up his fur ever so gently at its height, the coyote gazed lovingly into the view a moment before turning and smiling as she joined him.

"Here," Razekiel said, turning straw-hued eyes to the wind once more, "here is where I'll build... Where we'll build, if you join me, little Freedom."

The view was fantastic: The mountain was not the tallest, nor were they at its highest point, but the scope of the territory below was nonetheless broad and unhindered. Blanketed in a thin layer of sunlight, before them laid great rolling green lands and plateaus and a sparkling ocean in the far distance; the great New Glasgow lay to their far east, still frozen in time as it had been so many years. Rivers and streams weaved through green pastures and clouds rolled overhead. Not even the trip down the other side of the mountain seemed a trial: No, nothing about such a place seemed frivolous. It was a picture of peace, of harmony — or perhaps the closest one could find in such a day and age.

image © Sean R @ Flickr ; table by lin
<style>
.razloveooc {font-style:italic; color:#000000;}
.razlovecred {font-style:italic; color:#000000; text-align:right; font-size:9px;}
.razlove p {padding:0px 20px 5px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.razlove b {color:#9A4D4F; text-shadow: 0.0em 0.0em 0.2em letter-spacing:-.2px;}
.razlove {font-family: georgia; font-size:12px; color:#B05155; letter-spacing:.2px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:15px; text-align: justify; margin:0px auto; margin:5px auto; width:445px;}
.razloveinner{background-color:#DBDBDB; background-image:url(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... overaz.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:140px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #5A6852; width:445px; border-radius:10px; -moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px; margin:0 auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

As the man suggested Nayru took a deep breath and then broke into a short sprint behind him. Shortly after the coyote’s own arrival on the peak, Nayru came up to his side, breathing only the slightest bit more heavily than she had been previously. “Oh!” The exclamation was accidental, but the patchwork lady could help herself as two garnet eyes took in the sights below her. It had all the beauty of Dahlia de Mai, but with the added nobility of the high mountain peaks. The sun was shining off the distance coast, and Nayru could see miles of area where the land met the sea, her personal favorite environment to be in. Far off she could see the towns rising up, far larger than either Berwick or even Wolfville. And they hadn’t even come to the Abbey that Razekiel had described, which was one point of interest she was most intrigued about.

“It’s certainly lovely… you did not lie.” It was indeed at that, Nayru had never laid eyes on a land that she felt rivaled Dahlia de Mai, but there was a first time for everything. Slowly she took a few steps away from the male, stretching her neck out as if that could increase her vision. “Oh, Raz, I would love to join you here…” Oh, she would, it was easy to be so swayed by such scenery, by the crisp, fresh mountain air. “But I can’t leave them.” Even if she could bring herself to leave Dahlia de Mai, she could never leave the Dahlians. She had pledged her life to them. There was not getting around that.

It would be a hard idea to sell, having them pick up and move to a new home, and one Nayru wasn’t convinced she could make. If they followed her she would have no qualms, but without the pack supporting her, Nayru did see how it was possible. “Oh, maybe if I could show them this…” Maybe it would change a few minds. Maybe it would make the transition easier. “Show me the Abbey! I’d like to see that!” Nayru did not bother to hide the excitement in her voice, as her glittering eyes met the glassed ones of Razekiel Lykoi.

[/html]
[html]

Pride swelled his chest at her excitement; even without the persuasion of drugs, Nayru saw the mountain and coastland for all its beauty. Perhaps his heart even fluttered a little at her small exclamation. Nevertheless, Razekiel smiled at her a moment, studying her reaction a long while, before turning his gaze out to Mother Nature's glory once more. He breathed in the mixture of fresh air and smoke, closing his eyes a moment as the Mother brushed through and embraced his being with the summer wind.

"I would love to join you here," she began, and at that he swelled with eagerness and excitement, straw eyes widening in sheer anticipation — but still she cut him at the knees, almost retracting the statement. Dahlia de Mai was simply too important to leave behind. An understandable concept, for sure, but still the coyote's great grin sank to a disappointed, small and forced smile. His shoulders sank and he shrugged; perhaps he was a fool to believe she would do any different.

Nayru requested to see the Abbey he'd spoken of with a newborn excitement, with a tone Razekiel could only find hopeful and recognizing. He nodded powerfully, smile reviving. "Of course, my fox, of course! This way, if you will!" He turned on his heel, stumbling (and giggling) a moment as his excitement forced him to move too fast for his marijuana-induced brain to keep up with. Fortunately, he had become familiar with the scenery and land, and not even drugs could keep him from knowing where to go.

The trip was short, and on it he spoke more of the Abbey and of the other places she could see, she could grow to love — even if it was a failing argument. Their mountain path switched subtly to a lane lined with stone beneath their feet, the underbrush somewhat wild and creeping between the cracks. "It will need some trimming, perhaps, if my Mother allows it," he gurgled as the Buddhist temples erupted into their view — still in pristine condition, as if Mother Nature herself had preserved it from deathly weather. Once again Razekiel breathed the air contentedly, finding great peace in a place so surrounded by lush nature, and the babbling brook that ran the abbey's backside.

"Gampo Abbey," he said, pointing gingerly to the old, age-worn sign that stood nearby. How it was still legible, he did not know. "The old Buddhist temple, man. Real fab, real peaceful. The Great Mother loves it, man. Have a look, yeah?" With a patient wave, he directed her within, to learn the beautiful secrets he had spoken of in the place he wished to build upon.

<style>
.razlovecred {font-style:italic; color:#000000; text-align:right; font-size:9px;}
.razlove b {color:#9A4D4F; text-shadow: 0.0em 0.0em 0.2em letter-spacing:-.2px;}
.razlove {font-family: georgia; font-size:12px; color:#B05155; letter-spacing:.2px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:15px; text-align: justify; margin:0px auto; margin:5px auto; width:445px;}
.razloveinner{background-color:#DBDBDB; background-image:url(http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g210/ ... overaz.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:140px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #5A6852; width:445px; border-radius:10px; -moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px; margin:0 auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Carefully the girl followed the man who stumbled happily towards their next stop. Nayru did not know the land as Razekiel did and blindly she went with him, knowing not why she trusted him so entirely but knowing that it was the right thing to do. The small lady could feel that. And their travel was not long before the old stone building rose up before them. Again Nayru's breath was nearly taken away as they neared the place. As the stoned man pointed out the wooden sign Nayru let a gentle finger trace the worn but legible lettering and a small chill shot up through her spine. How had Dahlia de Mai and all the others suffered so much damage over the years and especially over the last winter and this place looked as if it hadn't been touched since the day it had been abandoned?

As they came closer Nayru's moved gingerly. The warrior nearly floated she walked so fluidly and gently, as if heavier steps might disturb the absolute peace she felt here. Without speech she moved along, now taking the lead in her enthusiasm for exploration and glanced back happily at Razekiel. How had he found such a place? In all her travels and exploration she had never been taken with any place outside of Dahlian borders, but this was certainly an exception. Although she had moved in front of the man, she moved slowly, as to not miss a single detail as she committed everything to memory. The plethora of flowers that dotted the grounds around the finely decorated buildings, the towering trees that encased the entire area, the smooth stone steps leading up to the building. Nayru soaked it all in silently, occasionally glancing back to check if Razekiel was taking it all in as she was, but no. Her's were new eyes, his already had experienced this and could the second, third or fourth time ever be as enchanting as the first?

Nayru came to the door and laid a hesitant hand on the handle, breathing in before she pushed the door open. The light in the buildings was dim and the navy eyes that greeted her vanished as soon as her eyes adjusted to the light. Yet as fleeting as the face has been, Nayru recognized the ghost that greeted them in the hall as she had stepped in, although she had no idea if Razekiel had seen the same. Nayru couldn't bring herself to ask, and the eerie calm that seemed to shroud this place still had it’s hold on her, despite the apparition. "It's nice here, yeah?" The girl took a few more steps inside, her hand trailing along the wall of the hall. "Peace." Oh, she could just stay forever… and why not?

[/html]
[html]

As before, Razekiel found himself greatly pleased by her sense of impression, partly because he wished to make her smile as he did when she was a child, and partly because the Abbey, like so many other places in the mountainous, coastal lands, deserved of such humbling and awe. As he stood in the doorway behind her, watching her every move while still breathing in the freshness of the peaceful place, Mother brushed a warm wind past, a subtle thank-you for bringing the princess here to see the Mother's hard work.

The way Nayru froze after stepping inside, the coyote's ears perked with mild interest. She'd seen something, he knew she had — perhaps the Great Mother had made an appearance to her, just as she had he! Pride and excitement blossomed in his chest at the mere notion, the male brightening, even as her words rang a slight emptiness at what she'd seen.

"You saw something, yeah?" Razekiel grinned, failing to respond to her actual comments. "Did you see her? The Great Mother?"

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

Nayru's normally steady and controlled heartbeat began to flutter erratically at Razekiel's words. The Great Mother? The woman who guided Nayru had been more a mother than the one that had birthed her, simply because it had been the ghostly lady and not the one of flesh and bone that had shaped and molded the young girl. Advised Nayru through her dreams, and even during waking hours at times. If there was one way to describe the ivory woman, it was indeed as a great mother. Had Razekiel seen her? Felt her? If it wasn't only her imagination…. Her heart began to beat harder.

"I think I did Raz… I think I did." She didn't just think that though, she knew. The dream of Dahlia de Mai burning came back to her, and then the morning after. The white lady had come then too, had spoken. It was time to get out. It was time to start over. And the lady approved of this place, Nayru knew that now. Why else had Razekiel suddenly fell back into her life? Why else would Conor had left when he did? Leaving her to shepherd his flock? Why had the white lady told her to leave? To let go? Everything happened for a reason. The universe knew what it was doing. Nayru didn't want to fight it. "I want to stay here Raz. I think we should stay here."

[/html]
[html]

And just like that, her mind was changed. Had she seen the Mother, as he had so many times before? Had the Mother decided a relationship with the two-tone alphaess to be resourceful as well? Razekiel certainly hoped so, and in his heart he prayed for the best. That was, of course, under the great swelling of happiness at her words, and the pride he felt that she had made such a decision. He had not been the one to sway her, even — no, it had been the Mother herself. Truly she led him in her path, in the ways she wished, and he had succeeded. He need not a reward, just the happiness of seeing her glory blossom, and seeing Nayru at peace with him in such a place.

For a long moment he calmly smiled at her, soaking in her pleasure, giving her time to take back her words if she wished, to regret them or doubt them. She did not; no, her cherry-red eyes were vivid with honesty and decision, and at that the scarlet-masked prince stepped forward and gathered her in his arms once more, hugging her tightly as he would one of his own, as if he himself was the Mother embracing her in thanks for her decision.

Holding her close, the coyote smiled to himself hazily, breathing in her scent as it mingled with that of marijuana, it having soaked into her hair and fur during her time with him. "Oh, my little Freedom, you make my heart burst," he grinned, suddenly tightening his hug, lifting her off the ground and spinning around with her. "If you mean it, if you're real sure, man, we will build her. Gampo Abbey will be ours! These mountains and hills and rivers, loaned from the Great Mother herself! You and I, little Liberty, Phoenix Valley and Dahlia de Mai! What do you say?"

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

Gathered in the man's arms Nayru felt more at ease in such an embrace than she ever had before. So slow had the girl been to accept the physical touch of others, why did she feel so at home with the Lykoi man? Yet she did not question it, merely gave into the feeling of celebration and clung to the man, laughing as he twirled her in their smoky cloud. With such unbridled joy surging through her, how could she possibly be making the wrong decision? When her feet found the floor again she grasped his hands in her's and for the first time ever danced with a partner, unsure of her feet as she had only ever twirled and spun by herself except with Razekiel had taken it upon himself to turn and twist her, but it did not matter, they simply moved and they moved together.

"I'm sure. I'm meant to be here." As she spoke these words she knew them to be true. It had been the white woman who led her into Dahlia de Mai in the first place. Now she was leading her out. Who was Nayru, a small being in such a large universe, to argue with the greater powers? Yet his words made her pause. While she could hurl herself head first into this adventure, she was responsible for so many others. Could she bring all of Dahlia de Mai with her? Would they want to go? And what was this of Phoenix Valley?

"Phoenix Valley is moving here, all of them?" Her soft voice echoed off the walls of the hall as they stopped dancing to music only those two could hear, provided by good moods and mother nature. "Is Jefferson bringing them here?" Had the gruff seen the light as well?

[/html]
[html]

She agreed once more, and with that Razekiel only grinned further, spun her once more, and gathered her in his arms once more for a tight and thankful embrace, then released her.

"Yeah, man," he smiled, straightening the rose lenses perched on his nose. It had not taken much convincing for Jefferson to agree to "step down" of sorts; the old scarred man knew his time was up as far as leading went, but he only needed the freedom and acknowledgment presented to him before he could agree to it. When Razekiel had mentioned to him that he wished to bring Nayru and Dahlia de Mai into the mix, the cyclops had been much quicker to give the coyote the okay, and thus much of Razekiel's plans had depended almost entirely on if the two-toned alphaess agreed. In the end she had, and Mother Earth be praised, everything was working out so perfectly. He could hardly believe it, at times wondering if his marijuana tendency was warping his mind into illusions that were simply too good to be true.

Clasping her hands in his, the man looked earnestly into her eyes. "I will be bringing them," he said quietly. "The old man's had enough, you know? Been 'the man' for a couple years too long, yeah. He's got other things to cruise, man, got other paths to walk and other cribs to chill. He deserves it, man, so he won't be a regular in our groovy pad."

His tone may have leaked compassion for the old Patriarch, but Razekiel would not argue for Jefferson to stay with them. It was for the better — the cyclops did have other paths to walk, but the coyote believed the man was perhaps not... the right type for the Great Mother's plans, either, nor the pack they wished to form...

"Ichikans," he said next, a twinkle behind the rose lenses. "We can be called Ichikans, my little Liberty! Ichika no Ho-en, that is the name I have considered, man: the flower of the great phoenix fire, man! We are two peoples in one, you dig?"

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]
318 .

Nayru's smile did not fade from her lips as the news of Jefferson's withdrawal washed over her. Only once had she met the man, but for all her life she had known him to be the figure head of Phoenix Valley. The woman read others exceedingly well, having always been able to pick up on small clues and details, and she had sensed the man's dedicated when they had spoken. Gruff as he was, he was noble and cared greatly for his pack. If the man was willing to hand them off to Razekiel, then he too must think it for the best. Even if the man was tired, and he had seemed perpetually tired when they had met, he wouldn't give up on the Valley unless there was a brighter future for them without him.

"Ichikans." The whispery voice repeated after the more colorful, louder one. It sounded natural rolling off her tongue, as if the word had been spoken a million times before. Valley members and the Dahlians, together. If there was any pack who allied close with Dahlia's own ideals and standards of living it was probably them, although the two groups did not know it yet. They meshing of the two people would be fluid and smooth, for the two groups had never had strife between them. And there were family ties between them, Nayru knew this although she had never considered it before. Even Jefferson was distantly some sort of relative to her, if she chose to acknowledge her biological family. Yet, more than that, they were of the same make, as were all creatures. They would live as brothers and sisters, as it was meant to be. As Nayru wished they all could.

Did she dig? Nayru beamed up at the man, her tail swaying slowly behind her as the soft voice came, barely audible but full of enthusiasm. "Yeah. I dig."

[/html]
[html]

For her to reply in his lingo, the coyote grinned ear to ear. Surely they would be fantastic together, reunited for good. He knew no other joy; for his girls to join him in their united pack, all three girls, Razekiel knew he could not die a happier man. As for Micah, Razekiel did not know — he could only assume his youngest child was still with Ocean Flower back in Juniper Peace despite his three sisters settling in Inferni. Should all four of them join he and Nayru in what would become Ichika no Ho-en, Razekiel could not dream of a better day, a better life.

For a long moment he gazed at her, then in one motion threw his arm around her shoulders and led her back outside, other hand pulling the joint back and forth from his lips, puffing at the marijuana with great enthusiasm. Razekiel closed the Abbey door gently behind them, breathed in the sweet Mother's breath, and smiled up into the sunlight. Her warmth was particularly encompassing, embracing that day, and with that confirmation he knew he had done well.

"How will you tell them?" he said after a moment, straw eyes returning to her seconds later. "What if they refuse, man? I wanna be there, little girl, you know, help you out. I'll cool 'em all down, tell 'em what we're gonna be about, man. They won't be able to resist, I know it, but we gotta be prepared, yeah?"

Another puff from the joint. "I will be with Jefferson when he lays down the big news. I should be with you too, yeah?"

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

With another warm embrace the deal was sealed. Nayru felt the excitement span out from her heart into every extremity of her body. The energy that pulsed in her was almost too much an d to expel some of it she gripped the man tightly, with more strength than one would imagine the small girl held. This was happening. It was all she could think of and barely did she noticed as the man moved them back outside. It was only when the sunlight hit her face she did realize they were in motion. Although, they were constantly in motion, weren't they? Ever changing? Nayru finally felt she was embracing that change, rather than pushing away from it. And oh, it felt good.

Then the man verbalized the one fear she held. Some of them would come readily enough, happy enough to leave behind lands littered with too many emotions. Gideon would ever be by her side, and the rest of their core family wouldn't be too hard to convince. Family was more important than land. Some of them, perhaps not. Some of them would maybe even choose to be left behind. But if they couldn't let go of Dahlia de Mai, than could she blame them? Nayru knew enough of them would be strong enough to move forward.

"I'm just going to tell them. They will understand, one way or another." It might take some talking. It might even take bringing them up the mountain slopes to open their minds and hearts to the idea, but it could be done. "Yes. You should be there. And I should be with you. We're in this together." It felt nice to say that, to know she had a partner, a friend, a new family member. Someone she could lean on and let lean on her, rather than being the sole parent of so many children. It had been too much, she realized now. Soon enough she wouldn't have to feel the haunting loneliness that sometimes ate at her without her realizing it. Soon enough.

[/html]
[html]

Already she was agreeing with him and they were seeing eye-to-eye; yes, they would make fantastic partners in leading the pack. He smiled at her and nodded, though puzzled how she would manage to persuade her, but he knew nothing of the Dahlians. Perhaps they were so dedicated to the girl already that they would follow her anywhere — Razekiel personally believed they should be, anyway. He saw no faults in the two-toned girl, though he hated to see faults in anyone. Regardless, together they would lead, and they would surely be successful in their efforts beneath the guidance of the Great Mother.

"All right, my Liberty," he said, offering her the joint, and perhaps in celebration she took it and sucked in a few hazy, smiling puffs. When returned, Razekiel did the same, and together they moved back to the mountain top, chatting between themselves, and halting only as the bare sun hit their faces as they overlooked what would become Ichika no Ho-en.

"Groovy," he said simply to himself. To him, that seemed the celebrate the moment more than any other word he could possibly find. Groovy, yes. Perfect.

<style>
</style>[/html]