'wild' horse varieties in the 'soulsverse
Okay, we obviously have this, quoted from the RP guide

Quote:Your character could find some of the wild horses that live in Nova Scotia -- though please do note, these horses are relatively rare, generally found only on the islands in the Bay of Fundy and along the northern coast of Nova Scotia. They are also smaller horses, in general -- hardly larger than ponies.

Alrighty, but what about the domestic population that would have kept by humans and now finds themselves wild and free? Wouldn't this add a little more variety as to what would be available to be found? I have no idea if there are many domestic/tame horses in Nova Scotia. Obviously some of the population would thin out without their human caretakers but for the most part several breeds of horses could survive and flourish quite well on their own, even in the harsh winter.

But I'd think in the new england area you'd be able to find a wide variety in the areas that were once Amish communities, everything from cart horses to mighty drafts (which could easily migrate north as drafts would do rather well in a cold climate I'd think). Tennessee and Kentucky would be full up with Thoroughbreds. Although I don't know how well that bred would survive without some sort of care in a northern climate.

The midwest and western US would also be full of large herds of horses and cattle one would think. I actually think that beefalo would increasingly common in the great plains of the US as they would be far more durable than full domestic beef (and harder prey).

While much of this doesn't a huge impact on the area of 'souls exactly. I do think that our current standard of what the wild population is slightly limited to what could be considered realistic enough. Although it would be rather difficult to come up with a realistic model, at least for myself being in the mid-west, I have no concept what kind of domestic/tame horse population there would have been in the area prior to the apocalypse that lead to our currently, wonderful world of RP. Although I do say I think that the mid-west/west would be rather full of hogs, cattle and horses. And it not beyond the scoop to think that these herds would migrate since they would no longer be confined to fences.

My job is almost purely physical, give me far too much time to think on this crap...so just throwing this out there for discussion. I don't want it to turn ugly, just thought it would be some interesting food for thought and I was curious to see what the rest of you might think on it.

EDIT: if this is not the right place for this, please move it XD
I brought this up in another thread, because I also think it is very interesting.

Don't you think there would be more than one herd, even in such a small territory? With the mustangs in places like Nevada and Montana, there are large herds that often share territory though they don't mingle very much.

I think that some of the draft breeds, like Shire's, Percherons, and Belgians would do great in the colder climates. Mid-sized would be more confined to mustang like horses instead of Arabian and Thoroughbred types. As for ponies, Shetlands would be popping up everywhere, as long as there where some in the area beforehand, those little guys thrive in harsh climates! Halflingers, Asian Ponies, and New Forest Ponies would all do pretty well in the cold and mountainous ranges, as well as the beach areas.

I am a huge lover of equines, and I will try to help with this discussion in any way. Big Grin Also...I really want Tawny to get a Shetland pony as her NPC! I've already got a picture made for him. xD