Meet me halfway
[I hope this is up to par ^_-]

So many weeks... that's how long it took to venture here, though it seemed like years. However, at last, her first goal had been achieved. Chapel had not let her parents down.

Those were the dusty brown coyote's first thoughts as she finally reached the border she had sought since setting out on her adventure, away from everything she had ever known. Some said it took courage to do it, but, in Chapel's case, it was blindly following her parent's will. They had prepared her for these moments that would come in the near future; they made sure that the coyote would not fail. Indeed, most would say that Scion Morte and Sanguine Addiction had built up Chapel well, carefully molding her into the pawn they needed to defeat their most dangerous foes, ones that resided in the territory directly in front of her. Chapel stood only pawsteps away from the borderline that separated her from the eternal enemies. First, of course, she had to find them, however it felt like all the puzzle pieces were being set in place... The master plan would not break down. It would remain.

Satisfaction filled the whole of her being, and she felt an egotistical smile slide across her jaws. The female ventured ever more closely to the invisible line. Her eyes slid across the painted skulls that dotted the landscape around her, a threat to all, as well as a bold challenge. They seemed to speak to Chapel, saying So, you think you can beat us? Think again, insolent child. The previous smirk disappeared from her maw as she thought of the implications of these skulls. Did this mean she was allowed no farther? Were they placed here because they knew she was coming?

The sun's rays continued to heat up her back, reminding herself that today was certainly not a day to just stand around. It was time to do what she had been meant to do since she was born.

Chapel moved her small paws only a couple more steps, so she was standing exactly on the borderline. Then, she raised her jaws and howled, for what else was she to do? Eventually, the beautiful melody ceased, and the silence filled the air like a heavy blanket, crushing everything. Time itself seemed to stop and wait for her, as anxiety made her insides coil. What if no one showed up? What if she did not succeed?
[html]

Word Count :: --- :: Assumed Chapel was in Lupus form?

Her body was slumped over the neck of her mottled steed as he grazed. In all honesty, it a appeared as though she might fall of at the slightest breeze. The sound had roused her from a dream-like state, and she rose slowly, realizing quickly upon waking how dangerous it really could have been. Shaking herself awake, she rubbed her eyes and peered groggily, half-lidded around her; but the pretty call had come from farther away. Intrigued, she chose to follow it; a presence had been their request, after all.

Rising to drape her legs across Lennon's wide back, she was off quickly with a few chirps to her steed in Low speech. Ruby-painted nose was pointed and following the strengthening scent; it was foreign, and she was wary. Not many foreigners came to their borders. Large ears flew back against her skull as she lowered her body, increasing the speed of her mount. Soon, those familiar piked borders were in sight, and golden eyes narrowed as she glanced about. With haste she located the figure; four legged and small, silhouetted as the sun shone behind the stranger. Certainly there was little threat in a creature with a build like hers, and so she neared, still staying several feet away, still remaining inside.

A hand rose over her eyes to shield the mid-day rays, and she called out cheerily. "Hello over there, can I help you?" She couldn't see very well in the awkward lighting, and so she remained cautious until the coyote spoke.

<style>
.freebietable-a05 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Q2c4x.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 0px 0px 105px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:14px; text-align:justify;}
.freebietable-a05 p.ooc {font-style:italic; text-align:justify; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.freebietable-a05 .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.freebietable-a05 p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:5px 5px;}
</style>
[/html]
Quiet moments passed one after the other, and yet no one came to greet her, or even to chase her off. Am I mistaken? Does Inferni really reside here... or did they abandon their territory like they did previously? Chapel instinctively flinched at the thought, but then abandoned it. The scents were still fresh, and some of the skulls looked like they were recently painted. However, anything was possible.

At the thought of the skulls, Chapel looked even more closely at them. What kind of skulls were they... were they wolf skulls, bear skulls... or even the heads of the coyotes who trespassed or asked for entrance? The female coyote shivered despite the warm air that was present all around her. These skulls were just even more examples of these coyotes' barbaric ways...

Suddenly, Chapel could hear the sounds of hoofbeats in the distance. A horse and rider broke through the brush and approached the small female coyote. At first she was taken aback by the figure's size, but then realized that it was a coyote in optime form. Even so, Chapel impulsively lowered her ears down to her head and backed away slowly. She knew when to retreat, even if only a couple of feet. The stranger just stayed on her steed and smiled at Chapel. Chapel narrowed her eyes, studying the unknown coyote in front of her, not caring if it was decided that her actions were rude or not. Chapel was not sure what to make of the other being -- enemy or friend? Will she attack me? the female coyote wondered to herself. Then again, the stranger could have attacked long ago. It simply stopped a couple feet short of where Chapel had previously standing. Then, the unknown animal spoke. "Hello over there, can I help you?"

Chapel decided that she could not simply show her fear to the stranger, and present that she was unworthy. "Yes, I think you can." the female coyote responded. "I am interested in inquiring about possibly joining this clan you have, Inferni." Then Chapel simply allowed to the silence to take over, because it could explain much more than she ever could.
[html]

Word Count :: --- ::

When the stranger flinched and backed away at her approach, Sage took the cue to dismount. With a pat, she chirped a few words of Low speech to her companion, asking him to stay close. Then, bright golden eyes turned back to the new company quite near Inferni's borders. Taking several slow steps forward, she eyed the small coyote, who spoke up now.

Sage blinked slowly in response, the strong herb she had smoked earlier now hitting her in another dazing wave. What did she say? I think she wants to join, she thought to herself, eyes narrowing. "All right, then; you may inquire," she offered with a brief chuckle, before clearing her throat and resuming with a more serious tone. "Who might you be, to know of us? Where'd you come from?" Curious, indeed that she might know their name before she even arrived; and with a scent so foreign to the familiar local blend. Hmm, she thought, but did not linger on it.The Optio paused to fold her arms so that her head might rest on her balled fist, considering the strange canine. "And tell me what you can do, please, miss? she purred finally in smooth tones.

<style>
.freebietable-a05 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Q2c4x.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding: 0px 0px 105px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; line-height:14px; text-align:justify;}
.freebietable-a05 p.ooc {font-style:italic; text-align:justify; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
</style>
[/html]
The stranger dismounted from her steed, patted it softly, and then turned once again to Chapel, who feigned confidence under her gaze. After the initial shock, Chapel took the time to actually pay attention to the other coyote's appearance. Chapel could bet that even in her own Optime phase, the stranger would still tower over her. Such was the curse of being the smallest of the litter, she supposed. The coyote had long, brown hair that ran until the middle of her slim back, and brown fur, with a reddish mark on her face that led to her nose. The female appeared to be strong and confident in her gait, even in front of foreigners. Then the interrogation began.

Who might you be, to know of us? Where'd you come from? Of course Chapel had been expecting these questions, and was slightly surprised at the fact that they hadn't escaped from the other stranger's jaws sooner. Who was this wolf in front of her, anyway? Was she just a regular pack member -- or the leader of them all? Questions filled Chapel's brain to the brim, but she held back. For now, however, she would answer to the bare minimum. "I am Chapel." she responded simply, wary of mentioning her surname. "I heard of the pack from afar," was all she answered to the second part of the question. Where did I come from? Chapel asked herself, far from being sure. She travelled so much -- so who was to know exactly? "I travel." she finished. Then the question came that confused Chapel: And what can you do, miss? The tone was as soft and sweet as molasses, and it made Chapel feel sick. Why would anyone talk to her that way? It was disgusting! The female coyote wasn't sure how to respond. "Many things, I'd suppose." she replied.
[html]

Word Count :: --- ::

The coyote was being unreasonably vague, and when she refused to announce the details of Sage's question, the Optio became increasingly wary. What would she do, if the woman named Chapel would not provide enough information? Should she turn her away, and risk getting attacked by an unknown coyote? The girl had seemed slight and lean enough that she wouldn't try anything stupid, but Sage couldn't be sure. And with all these unclear responses, she needed to know more.

"Well, Chapel, I'm Sage River Lykoi. Optio of Inferni. I like to travel, too." Maybe sharing a bit about herself would help the russet coyote open up a bit more. After all, if she would be useful and loyal to Inferni, she would be worthwhile; but she would need to prove it, first. Or at least elaborate on some skills! Sage would not allow this woman to pass if she could do nothing but stand there and avoid answering inquiries. So Chapel could do "many things". Sage raised an eyebrow, "Like what?"

<style>
</style>
[/html]
As the stranger finally told Chapel her name, the coyote visibly relaxed. Without a name, the unknown was just... unreachable, cold, without personality, but now she had an identity. This made Chapel feel much more at home than before, but still she remained closed off and impassive. An unfamiliar word breached her consciousness -- optio? For now, the female coyote let it pass, but she made a mental note to inquire about it later.

Sage seemed to be trying extremely hard to get her to open up, as if to release all of her thoughts, past, and where she came from in a fountain of words. That wasn't how Chapel rolled.

The coyote figured that the words 'many things' wouldn't pass very far, and in that she was correct. Only moments later she was asked to specify. For a moment, the word "kill" seemed to want to pass through her jaws as casually as if she was talking about the day's weather. Right before she said it, she refrained and quickly held her tongue. Chapel's brow furrowed and she wondered, "Well, what AM I good at?" Nothing came to mind, for her imagination and creative mindset was not allowed to flourish -- stomped out like a weed. For, what was it good for anyway? She was to be trained as an assassin. Not as a philosopher or artist. "I guess I'm good at.. hunting..." the female responded warily. Her tail fell and she felt disappointment swell through her. "How can I expect a pack to accept me if I have nothing to offer, and nothing good on my résumé? "I am good at following orders unconditionally." she said almost robotically, after thinking about it for a bit.
[html]

Word Count :: 327 :: I wanted to get this done quickly, so I hope this is okay with you? Tongue

There were many things that seemed to often pass for "good marks" in the border acceptance interviews. Often, only a few named skills would grant one access to every bit of their land. She was good at hunting, huh? Unfortunately, she would need more than that for the Optio to allow her passage. Eyebrows raised and golden eyes lilted, staring at the woman, expecting more, but there was none. Well, wasn't that great, only nearly every canine in the land was good at hunting. Sage sighed and tried hard not to roll her eyes as she watched the woman's body slump noticeably, as if disappointed in herself. Well, maybe now she'd give a better answer, Sage thought.

Chapel changed her response. This one sounded more convincing, believable. So the russet woman on two legs could follow orders; certainly an admirable trait, she supposed, in any prospective clanswoman. After all, Sage knew the kinds of canines that her family wanted to be surrounded by, and she didn't get along with many of them. "Well, all right," she began brightly, "will you follow me, then?" Sage half-turned to move back towards her steed, inviting the slight woman to cross their unwelcoming border for now. Amber eyes remained locked on the strange woman as she moved, still oddly wary; she did not want to turn her back on this one.

With a few words in Low speech, Lennon was by her side, the large stallion towering over the small Chapel; his head even rose higher than Sage's as she stood on the ground. Though she was always glad for his presence, today Lennon's company was even more valuable to the tanned girl.

"I'll take you to the Aquila," she said quickly, gentle hands stroking her stallion's face. When the odd company was ready, Sage mounted her steed without tack and started him moving in a slow walk. If Chapel would keep up, she would need to move fairly slowly.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
For a moment Chapel held her breath, and then released it as she heard the accepting words, I'll take you to Aquila. Step 2 completed! The female coyote hurried to the horse's side, and matched its gait exactly. She didn't want to get too ahead or behind, of course. That probably wouldn't bode well.

Chapel noticed that Sage was taking careful notes of every single one of her movements. Was this for safety... or something else? By the way Sage was looking at her, Chapel felt that she had not gained her trust. With good reason, her answers had been vague enough!

Chapel walked at a slow pace, thinking back on her first confrontation and previous adventure. Soon enough, she would be even closer to her goal. Wouldn't her parents be proud! The thought filled her with happiness and she pictured the welcome home ceremony she would receive when she returned. Then her thoughts turned back to what Sage had spoken of... Someone named Aquila? She assumed it was the main leader, but then, where did Sage stand in the ranks of Inferni? Probably somewhere around the top of the ladder, Chapel reasoned. Then... could she be of Massacre bloodline? Her surname did not let on anything about the family, but it couldn't hurt to ask, or at least inquire.

They seemed to walk for a long while, with the silence only broken by the hoofbeats of Sage's steed on the dry ground. It took Chapel a moment to gain courage to ask her question -- what if she offended Sage, or it was a taboo word? Even so, she couldn't just let a perfect moment like this pass!

The female coyote cleared her throat once and then spoke softly, "Do you know of the bloodline Massacre?" she asked curiously. She hoped that it didn't sound demanding, only like a whimsical thought that simply seemed to pass through her brain.
Welcome to InferniRANKS · SITE · WIKI · NEWS

As a new member, why not:

quare;">[*]Create some AW (all welcome) threads in our territory and meet some of your fellow clan members. Alternatively, you can join another member's AW thread (open threads are found here) or request for some private threads for plot purposes in our thread request forum.[*]Add your character to our member list. To do this, please post your character's information in this thread, using the form provided in the first post. NPC characters and NPC open characters of Inferni can be added as well, and will be displayed in their special sections of the list.[*]Check out our pack game and start earning points! The game is a great way to get fancy titles and icons for your character.[*]Take a look at the thread prompts. Every month, Inferni puts up three thread prompts, intended to promote activity and get Inferni members to know each other better both in and out of character. The list of current thread prompts can be found at the bottom of our Inferni Information Portal, as well as beneath the prizes on our game page.[/LIST]

If you're confused about anything regarding Inferni or being a member of the clan, feel free to PM one of our pack leaders, and they can help answer your questions!

[html]

Word Count :: --- :: This post is shooort~

As the silence began to grow strong, Sage took an herbal joint from the stash in her purse, putting the end between her lips and lighting it. The tan girl puffed lazily, attention waning, though golden eyes never drifted too far from her odd company. In effort to amuse herself, she blew small rings of smoke into the air.

The steady rocking of Lennon's body as she sat atop it was nearly enough to put her to sleep when combined with the pleasant weather. Her eyes began to lilt, and she yawned, shaking herself awake as the four-legged woman spoke a question in a friendly tone. The Optio's head turned to face Chapel's in consideration of her words. Massacre, she thought, furrowing her brows. Hadn't she heard that name before? Her face contorted cutely in thought; yes, she did remember Talitha mentioning that name. Sage's red-headed cousin had Massacre blood in her veins. But that was all she knew.

"I have heard it mentioned, yes," she responded airily, vaguely, her head turning briefly to watch their path. "Why do you ask?" How did she know of it? Not curious enough to interrogate yet, Sage focused now on guiding Lennon over a large rotted tree stump.

<style>
</style>
[/html]
Chapel turned her head and looked to the left, wondering whether Sage was going to reply or not. She snorted in disgust at the smoke rings that were floating overhead and disappearing somewhere up above. Did all the wolves in Inferni smoke? She would be the only one that couldn't stand the disgusting stench of the joint as well as the fumes that came from the horrible things. Did she even know what they could do to someone's health?

The female coyote sighed and looked away to inspect the rest of her surroundings. There wasn't much to see, but every so often a tree's shadows protected the two wolves and Sage's steed from the blistering sun up above. It was certainly a hot one.

Chapel perked her ears as she heard Sage beginning to speak. Of course a question tagged along with her response, as one always did. The optio seemed to be full of questions, but never of straight answers. Chapel turned her head towards the ground and looked at her paws as she walked across the dry ground. I'll have to make this response count, and think up my words carefully.. she thought to herself. "Just curious," Chapel began. She realized this probably wouldn't be enough and continued, "My family... was close to some Massacre coyotes..." The lupus hoped that explanation would suffice.
[html]

Word Count :: --- :: Mind if we finish this up? You can post once more if you like. :]

Was the woman being purposefully vague? Sage couldn't be sure, but she was wary and felt uneasy nonetheless. There were few outside of Inferni that had ties to the clan without being their enemies, and Sage found her golden eyes staring seemingly lazily at the four-legged coyote keeping pace beside her. The response she had given was simple, and under normal circumstances the Optio may have taken it as sufficient; but as it was, this woman had already roused suspicion in the earth-colored girl.

"I see..." she managed simply, soft tones unable to carry far in the expansive forest. Her mind reeled, trying to think of who else she might know that carried that name. She could not name any, and so with a slightly furrowed brow she took another long drag from the herbal cigarette, averting her eyes and focusing on their path. They were close, now, and Sage would soon relinquish her new company to the appraisal of the Aquila. Silently, she wondered what Zeke might think; but perhaps for now she should keep her concerns unvoiced. Many in this clan were strangely secretive, and it was not uncommon for Sage to feel that familiar sense of unease. Still, though, something was off.

Tucking those thoughts away, she gave Lennon a light kick to quicken their pace and close the last half mile or so. "We're almost there," she encouraged, understanding that the coyote woman may have travelled far already. Realizing she may as well alert him, the Optio raised her mouth to the cool air and yipped a call to their leader.

<style>
</style>
[/html]