Ferreting around
[html]
WC: 459 OOC: Please help him save baby ferret!! Also Dated August 15, 2011

Shawchert’s day was quiet. He was glad for this, but something else to do for a change would be nice, but he knew that he had to stay on track and worry about the rest later. He was patrolling as usual and he’d spotted blood, but it wasn’t wolf blood, that didn’t mean it couldn’t have been important, however, an injured animal could be a danger, especially to the puppies. He sniffed the spots of blood until it came to a point where it was overpowering, and he couldnt believe whatever animal made this trail could be small, as it had went from one side of the territory to the other. What he found was not so amazing but shocking as a ferret lay dead in her own blood. She’d been attacked by something, what amazed Shawchert was that she had gotten so far, and it made him wonder why it had so much determination. Shawchert rolled the ferrett over to see that it was a female and she had kits. Looking around he expected to see them there, but it seemed that she had not made it to them. Frowning he headed slowing in the direction she was going in, his eyes sharp as he looked around, then spotted the den. He had to dig to get to it further, but what he saw was a sad sight. There were four baby ferrets and three of them were not moving. One was just barely. Shawchert could see they were still very young and the mother must have been dragging herself across the forest for a good part of a day. Shawchert instintively grabbed the only living ferret in the brood and started tittering his tongue at it.

“You poor thing, we’re going to have to get you something to eat huh?”

He wasn’t sure how old the ferret was but it looked half starved. He would have to hurry home to find it something to eat. Shawchert hurried through the forest, leaving what was left of the kits and mother to return to the earth as they were. He didn’t have the time to bury them now. He felt the warm squimish animal under his large paws and could tell it was afraid. He needed milk but where was he going to get that? He wasn’t lactating at all... He found his way home but was pacing back and forth not sure what to do exactly Was there anyone around here that had some kind of milk? something to nourish the baby ferret? He lifted his head in a howl, one that requested help he was not sure why but he needed it, and he didn’t want this poor baby ferret to die.

<style type="text/css">
.shawchertlake b {font-weight:bold; color:#fff; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #2F3C17;}
.shawchertlakeooc {text-align:right;font-style:italic; padding: 5px 10px 5px 10px;}
.shawchertlake p {text-indent:25px; padding:1px 10px 1px 10px; margin:0px;}
.shawchertlake {margin:0 auto; width:436px; background-color:#9FE6F4; background-image:url(http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/475/avatarjk.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #fff; padding: 10px 0px 300px 0px; font-family: georgia; font-size:12px; color:#1D2F0A; line-height:12.5px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;word-spacing:.5px;}
.shawchertlake-border {width:438px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; }
</style>
Table by Sunny
[/html]
OOC: Rory to the rescue!

IC: Rory was feeding Saorise with some goat’s milk and she was grinning at him. She was getting close to being weaned off of milk. She was already starting to eat regurgitated meat. When he thought it was rather gross but did it to help his niece. She finished with her milk and he still had some left. ”Ye are startin’ ta nae eat as much milk, lass.” But it was expected with her age. His ears perked up at the sound of a howl, someone asking for some milk to help a baby ferret.

He picked up the milk and headed out, carrying Saorise with him. She was starting to fall asleep and tended to like to be walked to sleep. So he headed to the place of the howl. ”’Ello? I ‘ave some milk fer yer ferret. Me neice has some goat’s milk left if ye want some.” He offered after knocking on the door.

Saorise stirred at the sound of his voice but settled back down, giving a snort in her sleep. He gave a grin as he watched her. She was really starting to get big. ”Yer getting’ ta be a big girl, aren’t ye?” He gave her a kiss on the head.
OOC Shaw is outside his home as he can't really climb up to the terrace sorry i shoulda explained better
------
An answer came shortly, though Shaw wasn't sure if the ferret would take the milk of an herbavore, he'd need something from a meat eater, but he wouldn't be picky now. He smiled at the man who held a pup in his own arms, wishing he had the chance with his daughters to do that, but those days were now long gone.

"Thank you so much, I do really appreciate this!"

The man said he took the milk, but now another problem was posed. How was he going to feed the ferret? Maybe taking it in was a bad idea after all. He looked at the man. Hopeful he had an idea.

"The ferret's young it needs to suckle...

He said, unsure what to do, hoping this man ad the answers. He would inquire about the young pup in his arms later. When his anxiety was gone.
OOC: That's fine.

IC: Rory smiled at the brown man with the ferret. ”Its nae a problem. Saorise ‘ere was done with it anyways.” Saorise stirred and looked up at her uncle as he said her name. She looked over at the stranger and gave a shy smile but her eyes lit up at the sight of the ferret. ”Kitty?” He chuckled. She did not know what else to call it. ”No, lass. Its called a ferret.” She nodded and said the word back to him. He gave her a small kiss on the top of the head.

At needing to suckle, he nodded. ”I’ll get an old bottle that she used.” He hurried back to the place they were currently staying and grabbed an old bottle and also an extra blanket. ”’Ere ye go, lad. I’ve got a bottle that Saorise used and an extra blanket fer yer ferret.” ”Feret!” He gave another chuckle at her mispronunciation. ”I don’t really give her as much milk since she can start ta eat regurgitated meat. So ye can keep the bottle and the blanket. We ‘ave plenty o’ blankets.”

He had experience with this sort of thing since he had fed Saorise like that since she was a few days old.
Shawchert was very thankful for this man as he was very helpful, even ran to grab a bottle, something Shaw was clumbsy at handling with his big hands. Smiling his thanks he turned his attention on the ferret, who was in one hand, she'd stopped wiggling and was looking his way. The ferret was still slightly blind, her beady little eyes could barely be seen, but she was just starting to open them. It was good, that meant the ferret was a few weeks old. Holding the bottle in one hand and the ferret in the other he hoped the bottle would work. He had to prod at the ferret's mouth before it opened up and it took a second for the baby to get the idea that even though this wasn't its mother, nourishment came from it and soon the ferret was suckling, the goat milk got all over her face and Shaw's hand but Shaw was too happy to care.

"Thank you so much, this will help very much, I think the baby will get it quickly. Its mother died, it looked like she had been attacked, and this was her only surviving kit."

Shaw said turning his attention to Rory, smiling, glad there were so many helpful wolves in the pack.... then he forgot that he hadn't introduced himself.

"My name is Shawchert Menue, sorry. Moment caught me by surprise.
Rory watched as Shawchert tried to wrestle with holding both the bottle and the ferret. But he seemed to be doing fine so the Irish dog said nothing. He smiled at the sight of the two of them. It was a rather cute sight. He stayed to see if the man needed any help with the ferret but he seemed to not need any help. But Rory would stay nearby in any case.

He nodded at Shawchert’s thanks. ”Its nae a problem, laddie. We would nae want the poor thing ta starve, now would we?” Saorise watched the ferret with curiosity. ”Pway with feret, unca?” He shook his head. ”The poor thing is too lil fer ye ta play with like ye do Rose.” She nodded but pouted.

Rory turned his attention back to Shawchert. ”’Tis a pleasure ta meet ye. The name’s Rory Ward and this ‘ere is me niece Saorise. I’m Giocatore.” He gave Shawchert a friendly smile and Saorise gave him a wave and chirped, ”Hi,” to him. Rory gave Saorise another kiss on the head. ”Yer a sweet lil lassie.” His attention was drawn to the ferret. ”do ye need any more ‘elp with yer ferret?”
"Perhaps when she's older and can move around on her own, then you can play with her."

Ferrets grew quickly too. He knew as much, though how quickly he didn't know. The man introduced himself and the child he had and Shaw smiled at them both, thankful that most of the pack didn't know that he'd once been the leader. It would be harder on Skye he knew, but she was the true leader, she was the spirit of the pack. At the question Shaw looked down contemplating.

"Yes... I might have a small problem. Ferrets are meat eaters, and goats aren't, and I learned a lot about milk from my travels... This milk might not be enough for a ferret, and I think she only has he milk teeth, might you know how i can at least get some meat in her? I hate to be picky, but she won't get what she needs if she just drinks this milk."

He said, wishing someone would offer up their own, but the puppies in the pack were far more important than any of the other animals so he would be afraid to ask. He'd find something though. He wouldn't let the baby die.
OOC: Sorry. I forgot it was my turn on this.

IC: Saorise was excited about being able to play with the ferret and Rory laughed gently at her excitement. ”Be fwiends like Wose.” Rory nodded absently about that. His mind was more on Rose’s owner, Mya. Who was now his girlfriend. So he was happy about how much Saorise and Rose got along.

At Shawchert’s concerns, he nodded. He knew exactly what to do. ”What ye need ta do is regurgitate some meat fer ‘er. Do ye know ‘ow ta do that?” He knew mostly because he did that for his niece. Otherwise he would have no clue about what to do. ”That’s ‘bout the only thing I can think of that will work.” But if need be, he’d come up with something else to do for the ferret. She deserved the best care that they could provide.

He put his free hand on the other man’s shoulder. ”Everything ‘twill be fine, ye’ll see. She just needs warmth, love, milk, an’ a wee bit o’ meat that’s been already chewed. Then she’ll be a right as rain, aye?” He hoped that everything would work out for Shaw. ”And I’d be willin’ ta ‘elp ‘owever ye need an’ I can.” He promised that she would be healthy and strong and happy.
OOC: I think this is a good spot to leave off Big Grin

Shawchert raised his eyebrow at the man, regugitate his food? He'd seen many things in his life and normally a wolf doing that wasn't one of them, a bird, yes, but not a four legged beast, though the last words Rory spoke sounded so much better than throwing up his last meal.

"I think i'll resort to chewing the food, I don't much like the idea of bringing anything I ate back up."

He said, he wasn't squirmish but just the thought made his skin crawl. He didn't care much for vomiting when he was sick so even throwing it up for such a purpose wasn't to his liking. He'd do better just makign his meat soft enough to where the ferret could get it down well enough, that would be his plan.

"Thank you so much for the bottle and blanket, I think she'll be very comfortable, I will have to see if anyone else may have other ideas, who knows. I'll make sure to get the meat for her thought."

He said, smiling at the man, truely glad he came when he did.