The Persistence of Loss
DEMI:

Demi was happily skipping along looking for rare herbs and other flowers, mostly to adorn herself with but with an eye toward any with medicinal purposes. The earthly female wore nothing except her satchel that hung around her waist. Since Teddy had disappeared and everything that had gone on, she was doing well enough for now at least.

NAYRU:

Rarely did Nayru leave the lands she had come to love so fully, but the conversation she had had the night before with Razekiel haunted her. Although he had maintained that justice for Wretch would be delivered, Nayru was certain it would not come unless it was sought. Gideon had pleaded with her not to go searching for trouble, on behalf of anyone, and yet while she had been happy to comply for a time the Jiryu could no longer sit still. And still she didn't go looking for trouble--not exactly. When the sun was at its highest Nayru simply decided to make a large sweep of the territory outside of Ichika. There was no harm in that. It was as she was traveling the narrow straight between Anathema and Ichika that she came across the other woman. Like a wraith she came up upon her, her cherry eyes hard but her voice welcoming enough. "Greetings lady, what brings you out today?"

DEMI:

Suddenly before she was even aware, since Demi wasn't very good with being a wild wolf anyways, tracking, hunting and physical things were not her prowess at all. She found herself in the company of another, a curious looking female, she wasn't that pleasing to Demi's eyes, while Demi might have fancied the same sex on occasion she didn't find anything endearing about this woman. Her normal irritation slowly bubbled outward from her at the prospect of a meddling ugly lady asking her questions, but she put a smile on and stood up to face her anyways. “Just looking for Medicinal Herbs, you?”

NAYRU:

The irritation of the other was not lost on Nayru, but the patience woman merely bowed her head to who, she knew guessed, was a healer. And of Anathema, so close! Saul was capable enough as a medic, but both Wretch and Gideon sometimes ached from their wounds. Nayru knew that the universe put others in her path for a reason, rarely was it random as many believed, and she was not hesitant to grab this one. "You are a healer miss? How noble." The two toned lady bowed her head once more in reverence. "I have a mate, Gideon, and my niece, Wretch, who both suffer aches from past wounds. Perhaps you would know of some herbs which might relieve their pains?" It couldn't hurt to ask.

DEMI:

Oh just great she thought idly to herself. The one thing she was good at in the world and she hated having to be kind to strangers when all she wanted to do was make life easier for herself. Inwardly thinking as always. But still she never really turned anyone down unless it was to unreasonable. Demi had had a mate once and it peaked her interest a bit. The name she mentioned sounded familiar in some sense and she pondered on it a moment before replying. “What's wrong with them? Pains and aches vary depending on the injuries, and herbs don't tend to help sometimes.”

NAYRU:

Despite the woman's annoyance with Nayru, she remained and conversed and the girl took this as a positive sign. At the mention of her mate the woman even showed some interest, and so as much as Nayru hated to remember the injustices done to two beings she cared so greatly for, she would divulge the details. "Wretch was recently attacked on our borders. The worst of which is that her leg has been broken again." Almost as if it had been the same attacker twice. "Gideon's injuries are much older. He too was attacked. Someone pulled muscle right out of him, all up and down his arms and legs." There was no emotion in her voice as she relayed this information, but the pain that he must have felt reverberated within the empathetic girl.

DEMI:

She listened intently for a moment while she explained the females injuries before listening to her description of the males. Demi had been a liar all her life, social games and never getting caught had been her games but she knew exactly of the male she spoke of when his injuries had been explained. None of this showed on her face for a moment, as she took in the gravity of the situation she was presented with. Not to long ago she would have smiled and pleasantly offered advice and detested the actions of this unnamed attacker all under the guise of being innocent of it all but after everything that had happened to her she couldn't really summon the will to do it anymore. “Injuries around his joints, memory loss, looks like someone made a bloody mess of him?” she asked knowing her assessment would bring up questions as to how she would know. Her stance changed as her arms crossed her eyes looking at the female with no real emotion written across them. No playful smirk.

NAYRU:

The change in the woman was quick, but Nayru was perhaps quicker. Before the other's words had even ended the blade that Nayru kept close at hand always was drawn, and her muscles ready to spring forward or back as the situation might warrant. Even as the woman spoke, Gideon's words came back to her. All he could remember was the smell of musk and dirt, the same scent that clung to the larger woman's pelt. Steady and hard she watched the other like a cat, intent on its prey. "What do you know of it? Who are you?" And the warrior was ready to take whatever action necessary when the answers to her questions came.

DEMI:

If things had been different she would have gotten herself out of this situation but they weren’t. Demi had nothing to live for anymore, she hated her brother, Teddy had left her and it seemed fitting that she die because of her own foul deeds. She grinned then looking at the other female, knowing the range of emotions swelling inside her, and found it oddly cute to see her so attached to the male. She had known that once. Now all she had felt since then was nothing, it didn't matter, whether she was good or bad her luck was just that bad. “Because I did it too him. I do find it somewhat endearing to see that look in your face, the look of love. I had that once, before you do what you most undoubtedly will, massages, massages will help him” She wasn't trying to save herself this time, just resigning herself to her fate.

NAYRU:

The words were only a confirmation of what Nayru had already guessed. Like lightning the piebald huntress drew closer, her skilled hand holding the blade to the woman's throat. Eyes the color of the liquid Nayru was eager to spill looked questioningly at the woman's face. Surely there had to be more, there had to be reasons. "Why? Why did you do that?" Why did anyone do the things that they did? Why was there evil—the answer Nayru knew but did not like. Nayru asked for answers the other lady surely couldn't give, but she asked anyway.

DEMI:

The knife was against her throat and her sly little smile weaseled itself onto her face, why had she done it? Why because she enjoyed it, would have done it to this woman if the chance had been available. She wanted answers and Demi would only be to happy to oblige her. “Because it's fun, fucking with someone's mind, twisting their meat into shapes, metering out pain to those you feel are... beneath you. Can't say if I'd do it again, depends on if I get the urge, you'd look a lot better with some refinements to your appearance.” Demi was getting what she wanted again, an easy way out, if she had revealed how her thoughts had changed since then, how she could barely hurt a fly anymore she doubted the women would have the courage to do what she really wanted to do. Her family lineage was just as demonic as the soul line and it all needed to be purged, it was maybe for the best that she didn't bring another D'Angelo into the world after all.

NAYRU:

The words were sickened to the girl but Nayru knew at once that ending the woman's life was not an option. To end it would be to release her from her sins, when Nayru wished only to make the woman repent. She did not counter the verbal onslaught with more questions but the edge of her blade soon dug into flesh. As it slit open skin on the woman's arm Nayru applied force, the cool metal sinking into hot muscle. With a jarring twist, all happening quicker than one might think possible, Nayru pulled out a large chunk of flesh. The extracted gore dropped forgotten into the dirt beneath their feet as Nayru plunged the blade into the tight of the woman, attempting to pull out more muscle from her. An eye for an eye. Although Nayru knew rarely did it change minds, at least justice, in some form or another, was administered.

DEMI:

She felt the sting of the blade but the pain didn't register. But she didn't feel like making herself wait through some excruciatingly long ordeal only to live a scarred woman outside and in. Instantly her anger flared, the Demon women showing herself for what she had always been, a demon and her free hand rose to rake claws across the young woman’s face. “Just fucking do it already!”

NAYRU:

Nayru lifted her arm to intercept the talons that came toward her face. They fell into the skin along her arm, but as the woman withdrew they did not sink in deep. The blade came free with the flesh and again Nayru drove it into the woman, this time in the arm she had used to attack Nayru. Twisting it, Nayru knew the way best to deform and disfigure although she had never had a need for it before. Perhaps this was cruel, beneath her, but as she felt often when she hunted, it was natural. It felt almost euphoric as she pulled free more flesh, and went for the other leg. If Nayru had her way, she would leave the woman as tattered, if not more, as she had left Gideon that day.

DEMI:

It became clear she was going to do the same to her, she kind of expected it really, the pain was only a reminder as both arms where rendered useless. She closed her eyes knowing she deserved it. “Don't sink down to my level, don't tarnish your soul with your sin's” she breathed out as she laid on the ground, eyes opening to look up at the sky. Trying to remember Teddy's face, wishing he had stayed, wishing that her hope for a happy life would suddenly appear and save her from herself. But he was gone, and nothing was left for her, the pain slowly started ebbing in after the rush of adrenaline faded.

NAYRU:

The woman crumpled to the ground, both her arms and legs having been torn open. The blood that pooled around her grew thicker as it spread, the warmth felt on the soles of Nayru's feet. The woman's plea slowed Nayru, who wielded still the dagger. Standing above the maimed creature, her voice was sympathetic. They both were in a position neither had really wished for. "What would you have me do? It is the law of my land that a sin committed against a member deserves justice. I must serve that."

DEMI:

She blankly looked up at her with her strength fading somewhat, her injuries weren’t grievous, but she'd die out here if she got no help. Demi had once been a mean creature but she looked at her with compassion. “I would have agreed with you not so long ago, but I fell in love, became pregnant and my whole out look changed. Doesn't matter that I lost the litter or that my mate left without a trace, Sin is sin, even if it is under the guise of justice. Don't pervert it, rape this sense of right and wrong you have, or you'll end up like I used to be, a shell with no heart. Just kill me and end my suffering”

NAYRU:

Sin was sin, and Nayru knew she was sinning. The puddle of blood did not exist because of benevolence. Always she had known that good existed within everyone, but recently she had learned that evil existed too. In all creatures. One could not be without the other, and that was why evil existed at all. For goodness to reign, one must know evil and even act on it from time to time. Yet as the woman spoke Nayru knew that anymore would be too much, and so she sheathed her dagger, cherry eyes looking mournfully down at the mess she had made. "I am sorry lady, I do not wish to sin upon you." She bent then, a kind hand reaching out to cover the deepest wound. "You still have heart, otherwise you would not mourn the loss of your children and mate." And it was then Nayru knew that the two were not so very different, a demon and an angel were from time to time the very same thing.

DEMI:

She nodded quietly, but looked up at the woman with some sense of mourning. “Just kill me, Please. I don't want to return back to those caves and pretend to live a lie anymore” that was simply all she wanted. It was either now or she would die out here, because she would not take any help to return her to her lands.

NAYRU:

Nayru looked down at the woman, knowing her words to be sincere. The pain she had forced upon the lady had been punishment enough, and now was Nayru's chance to repent her sin. To do good sometimes meant to do evil. Whether the dark woman was truly a demon or simply a misguided being with pain of her own was irrelevant now. Given both women's desires there was little choice left. "Forgive me." Whether she spoke to the Great Mother, the universe, or the nameless woman herself Nayru knew not, but easily she drew the blade, once more out of its sheath, across the soft throat, letting free the life that still dwell in the other's body.

[WC Nayru: 1305]