Another day in paradise
[html]
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x242 ... rintab.png); background-color:#cd3f7e; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify;">Date: 26 Aug

Time: Early Morning

Place: Paradise Pier
200+

Yesterday had been so amazing that she just had to come back. No one wanted to end the day at the seaside carnival, but the family finally had to return home with tired pups in tow. On the way home the night before, each parent ended up lugging a tired pup in their arms, the children dozing in their protective hold as Shawchert and Orin walked back to the Treetop Terrace.

Something happened that day – something more than just laughing pups and playful adults. Even though it had been years since the carnival had last been powered, many of the ride’s wheels still turned and Orin and Shawchert could put the girls in the boats and push them in circles, sit in cars that lugged over rickety wooden hills, and could mount crackle-painted carousel horses and pretend to be knights. The girls, Shawchert, and Orin laughed like they were all pups again. And for a while it was like they didn’t have a care in the world.

That night, Orin slept soundly. For the first time her sleep was deep, and no shadowy nightmares plagued her. Dawn woke the mother, and she knew she had to go back.

A soft wind now tugged at her hair. The morning light glinted off the gentle waves as she leaned against the railing and peered out into the sea. Just the smell of this place brought back vivid memories of yesterday, and Orin’s smile was so persistant that her face ached. She loved it.

Her golden eyes slipped closed, and the woman took in a deep, cleansing breath. For the first time in many months she felt... okay.

©table code and image to jacoby

[/html]
Orin was not the only one effected by the day before, though Shaw was effected in different ways and his thoughts were at war with each other. He had so much fun, he felt like he was a part of that special family, the one that wasn't as dysfunctional as their family really was. He couldn't help but enjoy it and make him wish for more. More of the company of the girls and Orin's. Now she wasn't so angry at him and was treating him normal again, it felt nice. To actually have a conversation, to play, have fun, it was something out of a dream. He wasn't able to sleep that night and he found himself walking back just to think of the fun he had with the family. They were one after all, packs were families. He would be there for his girls, and for Orin as much as he could. He was quiet as he walked through the park. He wondered how wonderful it must have been when it was powered with people having fun on them. Shaw would prefer the way they did it though. It brought them closer as a family, he loved seeing the delighted looks on their faces. Shawchert had been unseen by the white woman but he'd seen her move over to the pier and lean on the rail. Shawchert followed her, his tail wagging, feeling the breeze that was coming in. A cool, calming breeze. He stood beside her and leaned on the railing with her, not saying a word, he was sure she would tell him if he was intruding. Right now, it was too nice for him to open his mouth and muck things up.
[html]
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x242 ... rintab.png); background-color:#cd3f7e; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify;">

Like magic, he was there. The woman wasn't startled, though, as her eyes slowly opened to find her friend standing next to her. She looked up at the tall man, smiling. Her choppy blond hair whisked about her face at the whim of the breeze, and so did the locks of fur of Shawchert's mane.

"You feel it too?" She knew just by looking at him. The same thing happened to him as to her... or so Orin thought. He could have seen her leave the Terrace, might have just followed her here out of curiosity, but something inside told her that wasn't the case. "I just had to come back. This place is so spectacular. Thank you for yesterday."

A gull cackled overhead, and she glanced up to see a trio soar over them and then dive toward the water, probably looking to rustle up some breakfast. She grinned, and then turned away from the water, staring into the old carnival built on top of the water. "This place shouldn't even be here anymore. What's the chances that it hasn't fallen into the ocean yet? It's like it's fate. Like it's meant to be here... Like it's been here since the world was created. Like we were meant to be here."

[/html]
Shawchert smiled at her and nodded, though he wasn't sure what she felt he wasn't going to speak out his own mind about his thoughts from the previous day. He looked at her as she thanked him, but he shook his head

"No it's I who should be thankful to you. You and both the girls have made this old man feel something special. And it was your idea."

Shawchert stated. He gave her a small elbow, and smiled at the woman. It was entirely friendly though and he was happy that she had enjoyed herself as much as he enjoyed himself. He looked up when she did and blinked as the seagulls took their dive then looked back to Orin, who was speaking again. He did not have to look around him for her knew what he saw, but just looking at Orin he could see it with her eyes and not his.

"Things tend to happen for a reason, sometimes it's hard to accept and other times it's all too easy. I don't know this might be something that is in between, like something surreal. It might be here for multiple purposes that includes the wonderful day we had yesterday."

He said knowing he probably should have just stopped before but kept going like he normally did. He looked over the to the dead carnival, the laughter of their daughters made the place so alive so when it was so quiet, it just seemed nothing but a dead area.
[html]
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x242 ... rintab.png); background-color:#cd3f7e; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify;">300+

She laughed softly and poked at his ribs. Old man, you give yourself too much credit. You're not half as smart as you would be if you were as old as you pretend to be.” After all, if Shawchert really was an 'old man,' what would that make her? Middle aged? No thank you, sir.

Everything happens for a reason? Yeah, that's what people said all right, but Orin wasn't sure that she believed it. So far things never seemed to puzzle out. Things happened that caused a series of events for sure, but even after reading a hundred tales of great gods and wonderful heros, Orin wasn't sure that she bought into it. Maybe she had just lost her faith, maybe it was Desdemona still haunting her, making her a more cynical woman than she used to be. At least it felt like that part of her was fading, fast. Still, she wasn't sure that Demetrius's death had happened for a reason.

She chewed her bottom lip, trying not to give away the path of her thoughts but being terrible at hiding her emotions, as always. The strife in her face melted away soon though when Shawchert mentioned how wonderful yesterday had been. Her ears perked and it felt like she could hear the girls' laughter screaming from the roller coaster. Of course the old rides weren't nearly as epic as they had once been, but the two parent Luperci seemed to have done a good enough job at pushing the carts to the top of their faded wave-mimicking hills, and letting them roll down with cargo pups.

Orin reached out to Shawchert, slipping her arms around the man and hugging him tightly. She was half his size, but somehow she found it within her to give him a crushing hug. “You're right. I don't know what I believe in anymore, but right now I believe in the spirit here. I wonder if anybody else ever comes here. I might have made a home here once.”

A gull landed on the pier railing next to them, pecking at something on the old wood. “Oh god, how I hate seagulls...” she said with a laugh. Once upon a time, this place would have been her worst nightmare, crowded with flocks of seabirds trying to cash in on kids' clumsy fingers, picking at old popcorn and dropped packets of peanuts.

[/html]
He knew what he said was controversial, especially with what happened to their only son. He felt bad when her shadow returned and he wished he knew what else to say. He knew that series of events good or bad lead to something, though it was up to the wolf in question to choose which path and what action.

Surprised by the hug Shawchert could only raise his arms for a minute before wrapping them over the white and cream woman. She'd changed so much and yet she was the same Orin he had found up in that tree. He did not reply to her, yes it was hard to believe in much especially after what she had witnessed. Niro had not been there for the death of their son, but she had been. and he couldn't imagine how much it could haunt the woman. He looked over at the gull then to Orin, and waved his arms,scaring it away, though only a few feet, this irked the man slightly and he wanted it gone and away from him. Aparently someone had been here before, birds still knew that they could possibly get something even from a wolf. He moved towards the bird, this time his movements were more deliberate, because if he caught the thing he'd put it out of it's misery... well that's what he felt anyway, he doubted hed kill it.

"Why are you scared of them? "

He said returning to his spot by the railing.
[html]
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x242 ... rintab.png); background-color:#cd3f7e; background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; text-align:justify;">

Despite her disdain for seagulls, she couldn't help but giggle at the sight that was before her. Shawchert waved his arms menacingly but the stoic seagull was unperturbed. It merely raised it's pegged head, glared at them with beady eyes, and promptly decided that there was no reason to heed the dangers that two wolves presented to poultry. The bird flapped, moved a few feet away, and then continued to stare Shawchert down. It was either really stupid, or very clever.

“I'm not scared of them, per say,” she retorted indignantly. Why the hell would she be scared of a bird?! “They're just evil, murderous, blood lusting bastards!” She jabbed an accusing finger at the seagull, and it didn't even have the decency to look scared.

“Come on, Shawchert, lets go.” She spun around, snubbing her nose at the annoying thing and stomping off indignantly. But instead of leaving the carnival, she headed farther down the pier into the mess of dilapidated rides.

“Hey!” she called a moment later, already in the hollowed out back of a giant, faded duckling. “Come push me on this one! It looked like fun yesterday.” She laughed and kicked her feet, pounding on the fiberglass duck to urge Shawchert to hurry.

©table code and image to jacoby: For orin

[/html]
OOC: Ugh i felled asleep and then i didnt know what ride you meant so I generalized <3
------

Grumbling at the bird Shawchert wasn't sure he was believing his ears as he looked at one of the seagulls while she was talking how these birds were murderous. He gave her an incredulous look but then maybe she was right. Possibly there may have been an experience when she was a puppy when one of them tried to take her away and it was a mental reminder, of course that couldn't happen to her now, nor their puppies they were far too old now.

He turned with Orin and followed her. Taking stride beside her letting her lead. She hurried ahead towards a ride he'd noticed once before and smiled as she asked him to push her. Shawchert nodded and hurried to her to take a hold of the tuck and started pushing. Deep in the pit of his mind he never remembered having so much fun, not even with Sky. He laughed as he pushed the duck knowing the excitement Orin held.
[html]

Her giggling only grew louder as Shawchert took up a spot at the duck's plastic tail feathers and pushed. At first the old, rusted wheels groaned in protest but even decades of oxidation couldn't overpower the Luperci's strength, and soon the most stubborn rust flaked away and the thing grinded forward. After a few meters, the scraping noise died down as the old ride gave in to it's fate of having to work once more, even if this time it was powered manually rather than by the old generators and conduit that once fueled the attraction.

There were a few small hills, and each time Shawchert had to push her up one she'd pound on the side of the duck like a child, feigning impatience. “Faster, faster!” And then the duck would roll down the small incline and come to a stop, and Orin would tease him as she waited for him to catch up. After two or three of these miniature “hills,” the duck cart rolled to a stop, and Orin stared up in awe at the largest wooden hill of all.

“Oh my god!” She screeched, turning around in the cart and leaning over the yellow rear, a toothy grin pointed at Shawchert. This hill was too steep and too tall for Shawchert to push the cart up by himself, but the glint in Orin's eye told that she had other plans. “Are you thinking what I'm thinking?”

She didn't wait for his answer – instead she just climbed out of the car and put her hands on the tail. But she couldn't push it by herself; clearly she didn't mean for him to get in... yet.

“Once we get to the top, jump in!” If all went according to plan, they'd be plummeting down the other side in no time.

300+

[/html]
At first pushing the cart was a little hard, but once the rust gave way and he neared the top of the first hill it was much easier, he let the cart go down the hill and carefully walked down catching the cart to push it up the next one, a huge grin on his face when she laughed just at the first hill. He joined in her laughing at the second, though was very conscious of where he walked, the coaster was old and he didn't want to fall off or find that she would get hurt in the process. He came over the last hill and looked shocked as this hill was a bit higher and he was sure he couldn't get over it by himself. He was thankful, however when Orin got out and he got the idea she was having right away and moved to the duck and started to push. The push was harder than he thought, though with Orin's combined they were able to get it up to the top, and with a final push the man jumped in after Orin, and they were zooming down the rollar coaster, this was fun! no wonder she got excited on the other hills. He let out his excitement with a yelling laugh as they went down the huge hill, and with the momentum it didn't just stop and go down, it went over two humps before finally losing the momentum for the next hill. Shawchert was laughing, letting himself a small break before he would get out. Savoring this moment.
She started laughing even before they were at the top, anticipating what was to come. It could either go over so well, or so very wrong, but Orin didn't care. Nothing would keep her from getting in that cart.

They reached the top of the hill and the incline leveled out. The were suspended for just a moment before Orin felt the release as the cart began to roll on it's own. “Quick!” she shouted with glee, but she didn't have to tell Shawchert – the man already acted. She leaped up and over the back of the duck's tail and landed in the cart with an unceremonious thud, and just a hair later Shawchert was next to her. They jostled as they tried to right themselves before soaring down the hill, and their heads accidentally clonked together. This only made Orin laugh harder though as she clutched the bar in front of them and screamed. And then they were falling, falling.

The cart roared down the biggest hill, the Luperci smashed shoulder-to-shoulder. It wasn't what you would call a smooth ride, but it was one of the damn funnest things Orin had ever done. She let go, putting her hands in the air as she screamed at the top of her lungs. There was a sinking feeling as they neared the bottom of the hill, and she realized that it was a split section of sadness; their ride was over. No... wait!

“We're still going!” She cried and then laughed as the cart zoomed forward. Over one bump, over two... And then the hills were gone, and the track curved around toward another set of rolling track. They coasted to a stop on an incline, and the grade made Orin lean on Shawchert's shoulder. She couldn't stop laughing; she was laughing so hard she was crying.

“Oh my god, that was great!” She looked over her shoulder, peering back at all the track they had covered. For the first time in a long time, Orin felt like a pup again. She turned back around, looking at Shawchert – who most of her weight was leaning on, thanks to the slant of the track.

“Hey,” she said as she suddenly realized something. “What stopped us?” She glanced back again, and then looked at Shawchert. “Do you see, there's no device here that's supposed to be making this go.” She was having an epiphany. “It works on it's own! Do you remember on the hill back there... there was a machine... but not here. It just got the car to the top of the hill...” She started climbing – rather clumsily – over the front of the cart. She swung her arm around the duck's thick neck for support, but much of her body still dangled over the front as she climbed upside-down to look underneath the cart.

“Yeah! There's nothing! Do you know what this means?” She scooted a little farther forward, talking a mile a minute. “If this thing were cleaned up, it might go around the whole-- AHH!” In her excitement, she lost her grip on the cart and started to topple forward. They were at a low point in the track, but if she fell onto the grade there was still a good few feet before the ground.

500+
This had to have been the most fun that Shawchert had, and he was now quite conscious of Orin, who was leaning on him laughing. This was a feeling in him that he knew quite well and yet it was different than what he'd felt with Sky, or even her when they had mated that one time.

When she spoke he nodded ignoring this feeling and paying attention to her. He opened his eyes wide as she started climbing out of the duck coaster. His heart leaped to his throat as she leaned over the cart and he stood,

"I'm not sure that's such a good i....

Of course she wasn't listening to him and got excited, she spoke of how they could acctually get this thing running again. Before she could finish though she slipped and started falling, with as quick of reflexes as he could must and as worried as he was that he had moved closer, but he grabbed a hold of her by the midsection, his knees giving the only support they had, against the side of the car, he pulled with all his might to get her up,
[html]

A squeak of fear squeezed out of the woman, but before she could get hurt Shawchert's strong arms wrapped around her waist and held her steady. She grappled for the side of the cart, finally finding hold after a few seconds of scrambling, and then was pulled to safety. She stared at him wide-eyed for a moment, panting gently, then she looked over the side of the cart again – this time with far less enthusiasm. “That could have hurt...” She muttered as she looked at the ground, and all the things she might have bounced off of if he hadn't caught her.

A moment later her gaze returned to Shawchert, and that smile pressed onto her muzzle again. Past him she could see the sparkling sea – the sun no longer cast orange hues on the horizon, now creeping higher in the sky as the morning moved on. She laughed softly, thinking of the first time they met. “Hey, you did it again,” she chortled as she thought about the time she was stuck so precariously in the apple tree. “My knight in shining armor.”

[/html]
With her help he was able to get her back into the cart and safe, he couldn't help but breath a sigh of relief she was ok. He smiled at her comment, yes he was sure it could have hurt quite a bit, she may not have died, though that was a possibility, but she would most definitely broke more than one bone on the way down. Her words that came next brought him back to the tree once more, and the first kiss she'd given him, straight on his muzzle. He smiled and shrugged.

"I can't always be a loser all the time now can I?"

He said calmly looking down at her, stealing a few moments for his heart rate to go down, but it never did. It was pounding deep inside his chest and he had a strange feeling it had more do do with Orin nearly falling out of the cart. He was very thankful that she could not see under his thick, dark fur or she probably could know that he was feeling quite flushed at the moment, proud of himself yes, but also being so close to her reminded him of being next to her before. Not only the day when he saved her from the trees, but every other day after that he'd come in contact, as well as the day she'd found the heart broken man. The thoughts weren't too much for him and this confused him. He knew he loved Sky, but how could he not feel bad for liking Orin as well?
The Tundra woman enjoyed the moment too, and as she stared into Shawchert’s blue eyes she wondered if he felt the same as she did. And then suddenly the magic fizzled with his next words. Orin sighed, shaking her head. He was degrading himself again. The man just wouldn’t stop beating himself up long enough to get past the mistakes he’d made.

She dropped her gaze and shook her head, her shoulders hunched in defeat. “You know what your problem is,” She said as she started to climb from the cart. She slipped, but caught herself this time. She prepared to scale down the scaffolding. “You make one mistake, and you don’t stop torturing yourself over it, so you never learn from it. You just keep making that mistake over and over.” She disappeared down the side of the coaster track, scaling the few feet to the ground. Her foot paws were soundless as she landed, and she looked up to see if he was following. She wanted to play more, but somehow it felt like the morning’s spirit was gone.
Shawchert had done it again, he had meant it as a joke but it seemed to go straight to Orin in some other way, and everything just playing disappeared. She again slid over the cart, after telling him he beat himself up too much. He looked at her increduously as she went down. He never learned? Looking back, she was probably right. He bit his lip and made a last decision to follow her to, change the mood back, though it made him uncomfortable in some ways, he liked the feeling very much. He moved down the side with ease and jumped down when he was able to recover well. Looking at Orin, wishing he hadn't said his words.

"I'm Sorry Orin, I truely only meant them as words, a joke, nothing more."

Though in a way he felt like he was a loser, mostly because Taliesin had easily overpowered him, though Shawchert took that as a meaning that his life needed a change, that he should let Sky be happy. He wanted to be happy to, and yesterday and just a few moments before were the best he'd had in so long. Biting his lip again, he smiled.

Look, I'll make it up to you, I promise never to put myself down, again, and learn from my mistakes; if and only if you let me take you on another ride!

He said, hoping she would take him up on his offer. He would keep his promise, though he wouldn't help but think it at times, he would keep the derisive jokes about himself to nothing. He held out his hand thinking of the ride he wanted to take her on. He'd seen it before, it was something that he was sure she would have fun on. Of course, it would be up to her if she wanted to or not.
She started to step away when Shawchert appeared beside her, dismounting their impromptu roller coaster ride as well, and apologized for himself. She sighed, “It’s just… It makes it really hard on the people who care about you when you’re always beating yourself up. I don’t want to see you unhappy. Sure, sometimes you tick me off, but who doesn’t do that to each other? I’ve been ten times as angry at Niro than I ever have been at you. It’s hard to get better if you keep doing that. Trust me, I know from experience.”

She glanced away for a moment, and then back to him. “I guess I didn’t get the joke,” she apologized in some small way. And then he promised another ride, and despite herself her ears perked up and it was obvious that she was up for it.

The light returned to her features, and her lips drew back in a grin. “Okay!” she blurted, and hopped a little. She scanned the pier, wondering which looked like the next best prospect. “Which one?”
Shawchert smiled sheepishly as she scolded him. He let her though, after all it seemed she was the one who had become the adult more than he had as of late. Nodding, he would surely try not to dwell, though it would be hard he was sure he could do it, at least with some help. He grinned as she happily accepted and he grabbed at her hand, if she held on he'd pull her to their destination, but he would still lead on no matter what.

"This way"

He moved fast. He had time earlier that morning before spotting Orin and found some nice small rides, ones they'd missed or the girls would have been on them in seconds. Shaw found it in the back of the park, where there was no mechanisms, this was all hand worked rides. So it would be by far much easier to push and pull. There weren't many only a few, a carousal, a swing around ride and a small boat, that wouldn't really fit adults but was perfect for children. He moved to the swings, and looked each one over before picking one that looked suitable enough not to snap when Orin got on and the ride started. It was made of steel and wood. most of the wood was still well intact and the steel had minimal rust. the beams were mad of wood spread out in a spiderweb so that it could spin with ease and stay in one piece. on each ends there was a swing held on by ropes. Shawchert held up the wooden belt thing, that would help keep Orin in, and offered to help her up.
She let Shawchert take her by the hand and the moment their fingers were interlocked the man started off with and spirited her away down the pier. The laugh that bubbled from the girl was wholly unconscious and wholly sincere. Her feet ran quickly, having to take staccato strides to keep up with the span Shawchert could clear with one step. She peered around, staring at all of the old, dilapidated wonders around her like a child might. It was so wonderful here. She wondered what this place was like when it had been in its heyday. She tried to imagine, but she had never seen flashing electric lights or heard organ music piped from speakers, so she could never guess how great this place had once been.

She was pulled past the old merry-go-round and past something she couldn’t figure out what it had once done, they ran past the house of mirrors, a hundred stretched, skewed, skinny and fat images ran with them. They rounded what once was a small pool with colorful boats – now drained of water – until finally they reached the edge of the park. At first Orin wrinkled her nose at the sight of what Shawchert picked. There were a hundred other better looking rides back there – but none of them worked. Oh it dawned on her, and then she realized the genius of what they’d found when she saw it wasn’t attached to any motors or machines.

A wide grin brimmed her face as Shawchert moved to one of the seats and motioned for her to get in. She nodded frantically and climbed into the seat, taking a moment to adjust for her tail, and then looked at Shawchert. She held onto the ropes, her legs swinging freely.

“I’m ready!” She giggled, and as she swung her legs the seat she was in began to sway already, before Shawchert could even start operating the ride.

300+
Her excitement brought Shawchert back, and he was excited for her, to see her face when she saw the ride. His heart beat faster. He pulled her along the dead amusement park as though they were going to be the last ones in line. When he saw her reaction, his heart dipped a little, but lifted as she got what he saw in the mechanism and jumped right in. The swing turned around as she sat in, rocking back and forth. He hurried to the middle of the ride, where there was a handle to turn the ride. He pushed it, it didn't budge, but this didn't deter the man, he pushed harder, and finally the gears that helped push the ride creaked and started moving. The ride slowly went around and around, before it started getting faster, he moved it so that it twirled her higher and grinned watching her, he wouldn't make it go too fast, as he moved to her seat and gave it a slight push so that she would spin around. He stood there for a second before going back to turn it a little.

"Now this is what I call a ride!"

He said laughing a little, hoping she thought the same thing.