one morning fair
[html]

yay fishing. near the lighthouse. backdated to 8.24

word count // 249

Vimala had spent the remainder of the night wandering around the territory, heading in the direction that she hoped would lead to the ocean. She had managed to find shelter and get a few hours of sleep, but excitement awoke her soon after dawn as she remembered the task she had been assigned. Following the scent of the crisp ocean breeze, the woman moved closer and closer to the shore in her two-legged form, stopping her trek only to look upon the strange structure in the distance. A tall, cylindrical building jutted from the horizon across the water. Vimala's golden eyes focused on it for a few moments; she had never seen something like this before.

She decided that she could get a better look at it once she was closer to the ocean, so she continued to press forward until her paws met sand that was almost the color of her coat. The water here was fairly calm, with a few gentle waves rolling toward the shore. There was a small sandbar covered by shallow water here, not nearly long enough for one to walk all the way to the lighthouse, but perhaps sufficient to get past the rougher breakers close to land. Vimala wasted no time in wading through the water, peering below her to look for the sparkle of scales. She had forgotten for the moment that someone else was supposed to accompany her; for now she was too distracted by the ocean and her surroundings.

Image courtesy of johnnymyrenghenriksen@Flickr; table by Silver with some code bits nabbed from The Mentors and Sie.

<style type="text/css">
.vi-as b {font-weight:bold; color:#D18D17; letter-spacing:0px; }
.vi-as .ooc { padding:0px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; font-style:italic;}
.vi-as .wc { padding:0px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; text-transform:uppercase; border-bottom: 1px dotted #000000; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:0px; margin:0px 20px 20px 20px; text-align:right;}
.vi-as p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:500px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto; color:#000000;}
.vi-as { margin:0px auto; width:450px; background-color:#8A583D; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/2ni6yi0.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px dotted #000000; padding: 10px 0px 250px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#2B1C01; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
Arye Cybelle loved the ocean. It was teeming with life, and had brought such wonderful gifts to her own life. When she had first arrived in Nova Scotia, she had found Pripyat along the seaside. Their friendship was enchanting, and it seemed that it was on the verge of blooming into something more. She didn't know how to describe it, but the path that they were carefully taking didn't scare her. At times she was more excited than she could explain to see him, holding her breath, but she was never afraid to move closer to a life that meant being closer to him.

With this on her mind, the cream colored chen-tao found herself wandering the seaside. Her honey colored eyes rested upon a monolithic building, the kind that she recognized seeing before. Back in Phoenix Valley, Pripyat Soul had shown her his first home, where he had lived with his mother. It was obvious that the lighthouse there had been something very special to him, being the first home in living memory. Arye couldn't remember her first home, and had yet to claim a place that exclusively belonged to her. For now, home was wherever she and Pripyat decided to rest their heads, and that changed often.

She encountered another, one she had never met before, walking the shoreline. The chen-tao recognized the scent of Ichika on her at this point, and realized that this must be a new initiate. "Hello," the yearling's clear voice rang out in welcome. "What is your task?"
[html]

hiiii! Big Grin

word count // 280

The sandy-furred female continued to stare at the sparkling waters in front of her, trying her best to discern which of the glittering light reflections came from the sun on the water and which came from something else, like a fish. It occurred to her that fishing wasn't exactly her specialty. Others in her birth pack had enjoyed fishing, and Vimala herself liked the taste of the aquatic creature, but she wasn't particularly sure how to catch one, let alone three. Golden-brown eyes darted around, searching the water before her, and she didn't even notice the other female approaching until she spoke.

Vimala turned to the stranger and offered her a smile. "Hello," she echoed. The unfamiliar wolfess seemed to have already figured out that Vimala was here to do an initiation task--it was then that she remembered that another Ichikan was supposed to help her out. "Oh, I'm fishing! I was told to catch three fish and present them to other pack members. Would you be interested in joining me?" She turned back to the water momentarily, before remembering that she hadn't introduced herself. "My name is Vimala, by the way. I just recently joined Ichika. I already quite like it here." Though she was curious to learn about her new packmate, she refrained from questioning her at the moment. Between getting to know her new surroundings and packmates and completing her task, there seemed to be an awful lot going on at once in Vimala's mind, a rather unusual feeling. Until now, she needed only to follow her nomadic brethren and help them survive; now she could set her own goals, and she was both excited and nervous.

Image courtesy of johnnymyrenghenriksen@Flickr; table by Silver with some code bits nabbed from The Mentors and Sie.

<style type="text/css">
.vi-as .ooc { padding:0px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; font-style:italic;}
.vi-as .wc { padding:0px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; text-transform:uppercase; border-bottom: 1px dotted #000000; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:0px; margin:0px 20px 20px 20px; text-align:right;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:500px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto; color:#000000;}
.vi-as { margin:0px auto; width:450px; background-color:#8A583D; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/2ni6yi0.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px dotted #000000; padding: 10px 0px 250px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#2B1C01; line-height:14px; letter-spacing:0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
Hi! <3

"I'm Arye," the cream colored yearling intoned with a full-mouthed smile. Honey colored eyes dropped to the sparkling waters of the sea as Vimala described the task before her. "Fishing, huh?" Arye asked wryly, wrinkling her nose as she thought of the best way to accomplish this. "I am not the most accomplished hunter of fish," the chen-tao admitted, although this wasn't so much an apology as a rueful statement. Arye and Pripyat had once set out with the goal to fish, but they had become sidetracked. She felt blood pumping through her heart when she remembered that, but she pushed the thought away and focused on Vimala's task.

"Between the two of us, we can definitely do this," Arye said with confidence that she truly felt. Although she did not know Vimala, the female's earnest gaze told her that Vimala was rise to accomplish this goal. "It's better to look for more shadows than shimmers," the cream-colored chen-tao explained. She had learned that much. If they were trying to discern the shimmer of scales from the sparkle of the sun on the water, then they would not have much luck. "It might be good to find some shallower water, because it will be easier to see that way."

Honey colored eyes met the brown hued ones of the sandy-colored initiate. Although Arye had been within Ichika longer than Vimala, that she did necessarily mean that Vimala needed to follow Arye's suggestion right down to the letter. The whole point of this exercise was to build mutual trust and to develop teamwork, two of the pivotal points that the pack had been founded on.
[html]

fwaaaaahhhh sorry for the delay and derpy post; busy week at college + traveling for the holiday weekend = distracted silver!

word count // 257

"It's nice to meet you, Arye," Vimala replied politely and with a smile. Already everyone here seemed so kind and friendly. Her new packmate admitted to not being overly accomplished at fishing, and Vimala nodded. "I'm not the best at it either. Hopefully we can both learn something from this." That was probably why such tasks were assigned, to help the members learn and grow. Vimala was suddenly distracted by something in the water and looked down, still listening to Arye's words.

At the suggestion of looking for shadows rather than the shimmer of scales, Vimala looked up. "Oh, I didn't think of that! Thank you, that's probably a good idea." Then Arye mentioned shallower water, which Vimala honestly wasn't sure where to find. "Do you know of any place with shallower or clearer water? I'm sure you know the packlands better than I do." She was eager to listen and learn from Arye, knowing that with the two of them working together, it would be much easier to accomplish the task. She would also be glad to learn her way around the territory, even just a small portion of it. It was a strange feeling, having a central location where she would be staying now as opposed to her previous nomadic lifestyle, and the bit of wanderlust that was left in her needed to be satisfied by learning the lay of the land. For now, though, she could settle for just mentally noting the layout of the shore as she and Arye continued in their teamwork.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
The cream colored wolfess smiled over her shoulder before taking off down the shoreline, formulating the place they would need to go in her mind. She was often drawn to the shore, and had explored some of it prior to this meeting with Vimala. Although she had yet to go fishing in Ichika, she did have a decent idea of where to find a viable source of the aquatic prey. Shortly, the chen-tao reached something of a pool of shallower water. It was still deep, but not teeming as the rest of the ocean. This water had been left behind when the tide had receded, stuck between the sandbars. The ocean would reach up to reclaim it in a few hours during high tide.

Arye paused, casting her golden gaze behind her to make sure that Vimala was able to keep pace. The chen-tao was able to cover great distances, and was a shift mover, as her station required. Then she drew her gaze curiously to the oceanic pool at her feet. Leaning down, she narrowed her eyes as the sun glinted on the face of the water. "I think this should work," she said, looking for shifts in the water and shadows of fish.
[html]

forgive the derpiness of my posts...

word count // 249

Vimala was pleased to find that Arye seemed to know of a place, and followed along behind her as she walked along the waterside. Golden-brown eyes looked in every direction, taking in the sights, sounds, and smells of her new home. She wondered just how far the beach extended here. Her family had never stayed for too long on a shoreline area like this, for fear that a high tide might wash away their temporary housing structures. Vimala found such places entrancing; the gentle rolling of the waves, the slight salt-scented breeze on her face...

She was brought out of her distracted thoughts by the sound of Arye's voice, and looked over to where the other was watching the water. Vimala moved to stand beside her before crouching down and joining her in patiently waiting for fish to come by. Her ears pricked forward as if to hear the aquatic creatures, Vimala stared at the tidepool, waiting, waiting--"Oh, there's one!" she cried suddenly, lunging forward with one hand held out in front of her. For a brief moment she could feel the smooth scales of the fish on her fingertips, but sadly it managed to escape her grasp. "I guess I probably scared it away, didn't I?" she asked sheepishly, rubbing the back of her neck with one hand. "Oh well, I'm sure there are more!" The wolfess took a few steps back from the pool, watching once more and trying to remember to be quiet this time.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]