hunting the hawk
[html]

A tawny figure slunk down the softly rolling hills, swift and low to the ground, hidden in the fog that came in from the coast. Paws made hardly a sound on the grass as the hybrid trotted down a slope and back up another. Light blue eyes narrowed on their target—a hawk, perched currently on one of the stones that dotted the landscape. The bird was unaware of her approach as she stalked toward it, ears pricked with interest. She bunched her lean muscles in preparation to spring—

The red-tailed hawk lifted off as her forepaws struck the stone, and Vesper growled after it bad-temperedly.

She had been following the damn bird for half an hour or so. At first, she had been curious and considering making it a meal, but after a while, it became a challenge. Never had she been able to get close enough to it; for a birdbrain, it was pretty sharp. She supposed she would have been better suited to chasing quail, but her pride was injured by her repeated failures, and so she sighed and resumed her pursuit.

The bird’s shadow fell on her as the coywolf raced underneath, head tipped back to look at the silhouette against the morning blue sky. Her tongue lolled from her jaws as she increased her speed, finding joy in running where she couldn’t in the chase itself. She liked activity, building her stamina, testing her limits. Four light-colored paws struck the earth in a constant rhythm, and her lungs swelled with the wet air.

However, the red-tailed hawk flared its wings out for landing. Vesper immediately picked up her pace, searching for where it’d chosen to alight. Due to the light fog interfering with her sense of smell, she did not notice the other canine until she was nearly upon him.

She froze.

Not my best, but here you go. <3 PP of Tobias discussed beforehand.

<style type="text/css">
.vespergokey b {font-weight:bold; color:#161311;}
.vespergokey i {font-weight:italic; color:#161311;}
.vespergokey ooc {padding:0px; font-size:10px; font-family:verdana;}
.vespergokey p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px; font-size:12px;}
.vespergokey {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#d6cca7; background-image:url(http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3370/longvesper.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 510px 0px 24px 0px; font-family:cambria; font-size:13px; color:#3B322C; line-height:20px; letter-spacing:1px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
OOC: Tobias has a big head so don't take what i write to heart <3

Niro had gone out with Tobias today, leaving Marahute home to preen herself. The two birds never got along and he wasn't much for wanting to break up fights between birds because he would be the one to get hurt from it. Tobias had taken off a while ago, which was natural but Niro was ready to get home. He called for the bird, a loud high pitched whistle and waited. It was evident that the bird was either in the middle of the hunt or decided today was a good day just to slack off. The red tail tended to be the one to do that.

Tobias was doing something by far more fun though, he was playing with another wolf, he'd known about her, let her think he hadn't heard her crashing through the area like a boar snuffing out food. He felt like a good game of cat and mouse, though he was the mouse, he'd be outsmarting the cat, so just when the wolf thought she had him, he flew off. If he could laugh he would have though he gave his own vocals teasing her to try and get him, though he doubted she could understand him, but he darted too and from, letting her catch up a little, that was until he heard the call of his master, it was far away, so he figured he'd have time to play chase headed towards Niro. once close enough to Niro he flew higher, enjoying the knowledge he'd be able to easily out fly the wolf chasing him. Once close enough he descended onto Niro's arm which was held, gloved and ready for his sharp talons.

Niro had slightly noticed the she wolf, but was more interested in Tobias who'd finally made his appearance, slightly before the woman did. Once Tobias landed on his arm though, Niro's attention went to the wolf who'd instantly stopped. Niro gave a slight sheepish smile at the woman, he could figure what had just happened, and he wasn't sure how she would react.

"I see you met my... friend, he's a bit of a troublemaker."
[html]

Vesper was breathing heavily after her run, and while she tried to control her panting, her sides still swelled from time to time with each deep inhale. Her blue eyes found the hawk perched on a gloved arm, an arm that belonged to a pale luperci.

The loner hated to be intimidated, but the fact was that she knew little about the abilities of the creatures, especially when they were in their two-legged form. They were unfamiliar, and she hadn’t had the misfortune of tangling in battle with one. They looked so ungraceful, but at the same time, they had advantages she could only dream of. Her mouth twisted in a faint frown.

But the stranger smiled almost sheepishly. “I see you met my... friend, he's a bit of a troublemaker.”

Vesper blinked and looked back at the hawk she’d been chasing. A snort escaped her, and she gave the luperci a wry look. “Friend?” she echoed. Why would anyone want to befriend a mangy bird? Once more, she didn’t understand these two-legged wolves and their trend for feathered pets. However, she quickly got over herself and gave her head a quick shape, coming a little bit closer so that it would be easier for them to talk.
Though, really, it still wasn’t fun tipping her head back in order to look at him.

“I hope you won’t take offense to me chasing him. It was…only a game.” She flicked her ears, not wanting to admit that she’d wanted to rough the hawk up a bit, at the very least. However, she was speaking a half-truth; it had been more fun than anything near the end. “My name is Vesper,” she added, sitting down.

lol It's fine! xD Vesper's big-headed herself.

<style type="text/css">
.vespergokey p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px; font-size:12px;}
.vespergokey {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#d6cca7; background-image:url(http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3370/longvesper.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 510px 0px 24px 0px; font-family:cambria; font-size:13px; color:#3B322C; line-height:20px; letter-spacing:1px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

WC: 377 OOC: Yes Niro likes to hear himself talk!

He had gotten the look of utter incredulity before. It was normal for him when his birds came to him and he spoke of them being his companion. They were both a team, as much as Gregor and Marahute (though she was not unable to hunt for herself at the moment) were and he was soon to have more, if other wolves in the pack wanted a trained animal. He nodded to her at her word, as though a friendship between wolf and raptor couldn't be considered.

“Yes he's my friend. We have been friends for nearly a year. We have a special partnership. He helps me and I help him. I give him shelter and make sure he never goes hungry and all he has to do is scout for out food. It's a wonderful combination.”

The man explained with a smile still on his face. He was a friendly wolf, up to the point where anyone would threaten any of his family or friends. She spoke of taking offense and Niro laughed. He doubted she could catch im but he shook his head holding his hand up before she could get angry at him.

“My apologies, Tobias has a way with others, he has teased them with his flight skills, you are not the first to chase this masochist around. I daresay you'll be the last either.”

The man said then bowed a little, hardly thinking she would give him her paw if he were to hold it out and shake, as she was in her wolf form, possibly unable to change, as it was in her scent but he was not a discriminator, he knew many wolves who did not wish to change even when they were Luperci.

“My name is Niro Takekuro, I'm from a pack over that way called Cour des Miracles.”

He pointed in the direction of his pack. The place he'd give his life for defending. He'd been there over a year and it was the first, and in his opinion, the only place he would ever live. His sister would know where to find him, and any friends outside the pack would too. Everyone in his pack, known or not, was family.

<style type="text/css">
.sleekniro b {font-weight:bold; color:#AD7E00; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.sleekniro-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:10px; color:#AD7E00; text-align:right; }
.sleekniro p {text-indent:30px; padding:5px 8px; margin:0px;}
.sleekniro {margin:0 auto; width:400px; background-color:#DBBA72; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/ ... robird.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 230px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:11px; color:#3C3226; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
Table by Meghann!

[/html]
[html]

The white-furred man explained his relationship with the hawk, and when Vesper looked at it that way, it seemed less unusual. Such predators working together—one from the ground, one from the air—meant mutual benefit. She doubted that she would have the tolerance to train a bird, especially with her single-formed body, but having a companion with sharp eyes and talons would help when hunting. She did not return the smile, but she did dip her head in understanding after he’d explained, polite.

“I suppose I would do the same if I were a bird,” the loner said with a smirk when the luperci apologized for Tobias’ teasing. She gave the hawk a little glance of mixed amusement and contempt, not sure if she was still over the chase he’d given her. “Wings must give you a big ego.”

The luperci bowed to her, and she blinked before returning the gesture uncertainly. He introduced himself as Niro Takekuro from Cour des Miracles. She followed the line of his arm as he pointed in the direction of the territory, her ears pricked with interest. She had heard of a lot of packs spread throughout ’Souls, but few specifics had come to her from simply overhearing the conversations of others. It was in her best interest to find out more.

“What is Cour des Miracles like, Niro?” Vesper asked. “I’ve heard the personalities of the packs in this land are as varied as wolves’.”

Sorry for the long wait and the bad post. I've been super busy and am just now trying to catch back up again.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC: I think my wait was worse ; ; I'm sorry Sad I didn't forget about it, i just had so much going on myself, ad muse levels went down a bit.

Tobias answered the woman with anything a hawk would give, a call and a flutter of his wings. He was a very egotistical bird and he showed it with pride. Niro rolled his eyes and put his attention on the four legged woman.

“In his defense he is a really good hunter.”

He could see he was making her nervous still, and felt bad, was it because of the bird or the fact he was in his own optime form? Biting his lip a little he shouldered the bird off his arm and started to change, he looked as though he was shrinking, his fur didn't change, not even the mohawk on his head, but he now could see eye to eye with the woman, and maybe that would make her less nervous.

“Cour des miracles is open to anyone who joins. We do have many veriety of canines that live there. I think I'm the only pure bred wolf that lives there actually.”

The man said thoughtfully. Even his daughters and sons were mix breeds, of dogs. He didn't mind and he was not descriminant of it, he still had his sister, even if she didn't live with him, she was his blood as much as he was hers.

“So have you been in the area long?”

He asked trying to make friendly conversation. He didn't want her to be off on the wrong foot with him because she was chasing Tobias, he knew if she caught the bird she deserved to eat him, one for him having her chase him, and the other for her actually catching the agile creature.

<style type="text/css">
.niro-gift b {font-weight:bold; color:#0f0f1e; letter-spacing:1px; }
.niro-gift .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center;}
.niro-gift p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.niro-gift {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#6086af; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/FYhGD.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 220px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#cedce7; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
Table made by Sorin[/html]
[html]

The bird cried out at her comment, and Vesper was startled into a broad, amused smirk as she looked at him. She nodded at Niro’s comment about the hawk being a good hunter. She’d meant no real disrespect toward the creature; there just existed a rivalry in her mind—a beast of tooth and claw and one of wing and talon. It would probably be interesting to work together with one, but she could not imagine a bird like that perched on her back, as she had no luperci arms.

The coywolf blinked and scrambled backwards as the man transformed, his shape condensing and lowering to the ground. Soon a more or less normal white wolf stood in front of her—though he still had that distinct, dark ridge of fur on his head that lent some character to him.

Vesper stared at him for a moment, trying to take in what she’d just seen. It did make her a little more relaxed, but she had never seen a luperci actually shift shape in front of her before. Did it hurt, she wondered? Did he go to such lengths to make her feel comfortable? She could feel her respect rising for this male, even if their meeting had been accidental.

The white wolf explained that Cour des Miracles was open to anyone, and she nodded slightly. “It’s always interesting to see different types of canines working together, though in this day and age, hybrids seem less strange.” She hadn’t been discriminated against for her coyote or wolf blood before—at least, not more than a quick snap and a brief, derogatory word, but those were from older brutes who were looking for an excuse to shoulder her to the side. She’d been a yearling then, scampering around on her own, her ego as inflated as Tobias’.

Niro asked if she’d been in the area long, and she shook her head. “I came from north of these lands. I’ve been here for a month or two, but I’m still trying to get used to it all…especially knowing which packs to watch out for.” She still wasn’t sure if she would join one, but if she did, they’d have to be very worthy of her respect. Cour des Miracles sounded open-minded and diverse, but she still knew nothing else about it.

“Were you born in your pack?” Vesper asked, ears tilted curiously forward. At least in the wilderness, many young wolves left their families to form new family groups. She had been born to a loner and had joined a band of young coyotes who’d come together for security. She wondered if that was the case with Niro, or if he’d grown up in Cour des Miracles.

Don't worry about it. ^^ And Niro's so nice. x3

<style type="text/css">
.vespergokey {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#d6cca7; background-image:url(http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3370/longvesper.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 510px 0px 24px 0px; font-family:cambria; font-size:13px; color:#3B322C; line-height:20px; letter-spacing:1px; text-align:justify; text-shadow:#d6cca7 1px 1px 6px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

He smiled apologetically, to her after his change, he could see it alarmed her, but he felt that he made her nervous on two feet. He was always thinking about others and was courtious as much as he could, though. He nodded as she gained composure and spoke.

“I think it's getting rare to see pure bred wolves these days, though it's not entirely a bad thing. We are all canines.”

He was not one to be racist, though he was proud of his lineage. He was happy to say he was the son of a wolf, though his father never gave him any reason to hate him other than not coming back after a fight with a pack of nomad wolves. He didn't blame the man.

“I hope you find it easy enough. I do know that there is a pack that doesn't like anything that doesn't have coyote in them, but I think you're well off on that.”

He said with a smile. He shook his head at her question.

“No I was actually born far south from here. I lived in chaos with my sister before we found a book that saved out lives and brought us here.”

He said, it was not hard to think about the past, not for him at least, he felt it made him stronger, though he had done many idiotic things in the past, he learned from them.

<style type="text/css"> .niro-a01 b{font-weight:bold; color:#4B73D8; letter-spacing:1px; } .niro-a01 p{text-indent:25px; padding:0px 10px 10px 15px; margin:0px;} .niro-a01{width:425px; background-color:#BCC7E7; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/nirotable.jpg); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 0px 0px 265px 0px; font-family: 'trebuchet ms', sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#3A4A6C; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;} </style>
Table by Sie
[/html]
[html]

Niro pointed out that they were all canines, and Vesper nodded in agreement. It wasn’t as if the hybrids had much choice in their heritage, anyway. She might have been pure coyote, if she existed at all, had her father not been the power-obsessed devil he was. There had to be some reason they were all compatible, anyway, though she didn’t really believe in divinities.

She chuckled slightly as he mentioned the coyote pack. “Yeah, I guess I’m okay.” She was curious, especially because she’d been with a band of purebred coyotes when she was a teenager, but she’d have plenty of time to check them out later.

The female began to nod as he explained he was from the south, but when he mentioned a book that saved their lives, her eyes widened and her ears tilted curiously toward him. “How… How can a book save your lives?” Unable to read, all she knew about books was that they contained stories and sometimes information, but she hadn’t personally seen one. She averted her eyes slightly as she realized he might not want to elaborate, but she was still burning with curiosity.

We can start wrapping this up, maybe? :3 After he explains? I just have no other ideas. xD

<style type="text/css">
.vespergokey {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#d6cca7; background-image:url(http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/3370/longvesper.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 510px 0px 24px 0px; font-family:cambria; font-size:13px; color:#3B322C; line-height:20px; letter-spacing:1px; text-align:justify; text-shadow:#d6cca7 1px 1px 6px;}
</style>[/html]