i'd settle for less
[html]

Sorry for the boring post. xD

A crisp wind sliced between the trees at the outskirts of the forest, ruffling the tawny fur of the coywolf as she sniffed at the ground. She had caught the bloody scent of a mole, which had apparently retreated to its burrow after escaping a killing blow. She licked her lips, optimistic about her chances; the scent was fresh, and she supposed it couldn’t have gotten far. Slender muzzle to the ground, she followed the trail then began to dig at the mound at the end.

It was not long before she unearthed her prey, her nose bumping the velvety, dark coat of a mole. It had claw marks on it, but whatever creature had initially attacked it had either given up or been incompetent. The animal turned, slow and painful, but she quickly grabbed it in her mouth before it could complete its reaction.

She killed the animal with a few vicious shakes and another deep bite, drawing her tongue around her mouth for a moment. It didn’t taste wonderful, especially with its coat of dirt, but she wasn’t very picky. She’d scavenged from putrid kills in the past; she could handle a mole.

Vesper trotted back to the outskirts of the dark forest, dropping her catch and looking up at the cloudy sky. The wisps were light grey and harmless, but the atmosphere was darker than it would have been on a sunnier day. She hoped that the clouds wouldn’t turn stormy before she’d found shelter. She’d been lucky the last time she was out here; the nasty storm had let up after a while.

The female sighed and settled down on her stomach, listening intently to the sounds of the forest and wind before digging into her meat.

<style type="text/css">
.angryvesp b {font-weight:bold; color:#695b7f; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#1b364d 1px 1px 1px;}
.angryvesp .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.angryvesp p {padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.angryvesp {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#2c597f; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/1zme93o.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 400px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#f1ffff; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Word count: 333

The ebony fur on Evane's back ruffled a bit as a slight breeze came about her cave. One sky blue eye cracked open halfway, and the she-wolf sighed. She had slept so badly through the night, and now, this futile wind had rub it in her face. Curse the forces of nature! How repugnant!

Zas'parsus wearily got to her feet, stretched her front legs out and slowly stepped to the opening of the cave. Her home was a bit more elevated than the rest of the land, so she had a slight better view of the land around her. Her eyes squinted a bit at the brightness of the grey sky, but she ignored it. She was a tad bit hungry, so a nice morning hunt would be nice.

As she trotted into the thick, dark woods, she desperately hoped that a nasty storm like yesterday's wouldn't ruin her day again. It was mainly because of that she met...the unspeakable.

She had been so angry at her own "stupidity" that, in her dreams, she brewed up the idea that the coywolf was the next generation of the gang that murdered her family, and she didn't sleep very well. Her hate for someone she barely even knew grew at the sickening thought.

Despite the hate she had for that Vesper, she wouldn't kill her instantly. No, she would take her sweet time with her...That is, if she ever came back. On one hand, the wolf didn't want her to come back, but on the other, she wanted to manipulate and attack her when their "trust" was at its highest to show her all the hurt she had endured for so long.

But all the thoughts of blood-thirsty revenge quickly dissipated when she caught the vague scent of a rabbit. Evane was instantaneously on its trail, and, before long, standing a mere few feet behind it. A small lopsided grin pulled at her lips as she prepared to pounce on the smaller mammal.

<style type="text/css">
.razevane01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#536c7c; letter-spacing:1px;}
.razevane01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.razevane01 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.razevane01 {margin:0px auto; width:490px; background-color:#e2e4e9; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/33upzf7.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #6b6361; border-radius:10px; padding: 400px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#9ea0a3; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]

[html]

I actually thought it'd be longer than a couple of days since they last saw each other. xD I didn't think that Ves would stick around that part of the forest after getting on Evane's nerves. Just let me know if you want it to be the day after, and I can change the date in my log. :3

For once, the coywolf was able to finish a meal in peace. She licked the last scraps of meat from her lips and nudged at the open ribs of the mole, knowing that crows and ravens would be able to finish off the last few morsels clinging to the bones. She let out a sigh and sank down onto her pale belly for a moment, closing her eyes and resting her muzzle on her forelegs. It was a nice day despite its coolness, if not for a slight itch that announced her winter coat preparing to come in. She’d deal with the undignified business of shedding when it came, however, and for now she slept.

Vesper did not nap for long; she rarely did, instead choosing to take advantage of short snatches of sleep throughout the night and day. She’d settle down for a longer stretch of dreaming when she had the time and the security, but on the outskirts of the woods, her body wouldn’t risk being exposed for long. It was too early to think of finding a den, anyway. She glanced at the sky to make sure it hadn’t darkened much then got to her feet and padded into the woods again.

It was only a few minutes before a vaguely familiar scent reached her nostrils. She stood and sniffed, large ears falling back as she realized who it belonged to: Evane das Sassafras or something. Evane, the black she-wolf with the bright blue eyes and the bejeweled ears.

She stretched for a moment, yawning as her forequarters dipped, and wondered if she wanted to make the effort of avoiding Evane. You can just walk away now, she told herself, but suddenly that didn’t sound like much fun.

Cautiously, the small hybrid started off in the direction of the scent. Wolf soon mingled with rabbit, and she could see the dark form pouncing at the tiny one as Evane attempted to hunt. Vesper remained silent for the next few moments, making sure that she didn’t scare the rabbit off before Evane had a chance to catch it, and after that she cleared her throat, leaning her shoulder against the nearest tree.

<style type="text/css">
.angryvesp b {font-weight:bold; color:#695b7f; letter-spacing:1px;}
.angryvesp t {font-style:italic; color:#695b7f; letter-spacing:1px;}
.angryvesp .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:5px 10px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.angryvesp {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#2c597f; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/1zme93o.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 400px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#f1ffff; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Nah, I mean, it's fine with me, unless you want to change it. I'm okay with it either way. :3

Evane watched the little rabbit for a few seconds, then saw her cue to kill it. She silently pounced on the smaller mammal, sinking her lethal fangs into its fragile neck. But Evane stopped dead-still once she heard the clearing of a throat.

Furrowing her eyebrows, she turned her head towards the tree with the twitching rabbit still in her mouth. Vesper was leaning on a tree not even two yards away from her. Blinking, Evane dropped the rabbit on the ground. "It's been sometime," she murmured almost inaudibly. Her head cocked back to the now dead rabbit on the ground, and she spoke again, "I didn't expect to see you again....Vesper."

The coywolf's name rolled off of her tounge as if it was an infectious disease, mainly because a mere hour after meeting the coywolf the first time Evane realized that she was a coywolf. Even standing here right now with that canine made her blood boil with murderous hate for Vesper's kind, but she stayed cool and collected in front of her.

She turned back to the hybrid. "Allow me to rephrase that: I didn't want to see you again. Have you returned for the fight I promised...or merely for pleasure?"

<style type="text/css">
.razevane01 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.razevane01 {margin:0px auto; width:490px; background-color:#e2e4e9; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/33upzf7.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #6b6361; border-radius:10px; padding: 400px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#9ea0a3; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

I'll keep it the day this thread was posted then. ^^; Also, sorry for the crap post. xD

The black wolf turned, dropping the convulsing rabbit and letting it bleed on the ground as her blue eyes fixed on the hybrid. She spoke quietly, causing Vesper to prick her ears to better hear her—but it was easier to hear the venomous tone in her voice as she spoke Vesper’s name. There was real loathing there—different, actually, from her irritated tone the first time they’d met each other. At that time, she’d just been another grouchy canine interacting with someone she didn’t quite like—but now there was hate, and Vesper wondered what the hell the deal was.

“Hello to you too, Evane,” Vesper replied, her voice almost a purr by contrast—but it was a cold, mocking purr.

The gaze that had fallen to the dying rabbit returned to the coywolf, who shared the direct eye contact, the best of canine defiance. She smirked when Evane stated that she hadn’t wanted to see her, asking then why she had returned.

Her smirk broadened and showed some tooth at that. “Depends on what kind of pleasure you’re talking about.” Light blue eyes scanned Evane for the briefest of moments before she pulled away from the tree she’d been leaning on. “Though I told you I was always up for a scrap.”

She took a casual step forward, ears swiveling toward the dark woman. “Tell me, though—have I don’t something wrong?” She looked like a demon attempting to fake innocence. “You sound upset with me, sweetheart.”

Oh, this was going to be fun…

<style type="text/css">
.angryvesp b {font-weight:bold; color:#695b7f; letter-spacing:1px; }
.angryvesp t {font-style:italic; color:#695b7f; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px;}
.angryvesp .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:5px 10px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.angryvesp p {padding:3px 10px; margin:0px;}
.angryvesp {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#2c597f; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/1zme93o.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 400px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#f1ffff; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

It;s okay, my frand. We all have our moments. xD And sorry for the crappy post.

As much as Evane wanted to tell her off about her ruthless history with her kind, she smirked. "What would make you think that...dearest?" she purred, turning her body completely towards the hybrid. She carelessly pushed the rabbit toward the coywolf with her paw. "Care for any? I'm not specifically hungry anymore. Consider it...my gift for being rude."

An ebony tail flickered as earrings jingled. "But do tell: What is your real reason for being here? I assumed that one like yourself would venture off instead of staying in one place for a long period of time."

The smirk on her face grew. "And please don't compare your situation to my own; I stay in this place because it is of value. Yet you stay...for what, exactly, my lady Ves?"

Evane actually sat down as she waited for Vesper's responce, which was very careless on her part, seeing as how vulnerable she was to injury. But she knew that the coywolf wouldn't attack her directly; Vesper seemed amused by Evane's rants as far as the wolf could tell.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Every time Vesper implemented something in her expression and voice, Evane seemed to copy it. While it was a minor possibility that it was simply how she was, it was far more likely that the coywolf was being mocked. Rather than feel insulted, however, she took the imitation as flattery—flattery that she could pull off the attitude much better. She had, after all, carried her ego since she was a yearling, thrust away from her mother at a young age from her father.

Blue eyes glanced only briefly at the offered rabbit. “Just ate,” she said, drawing her tongue across her slightly bloodstained mouth to make her point.

Evane went on to ask her why she was around, adding that she seemed like the type to wander. That was true, and the coywolf inclined her head before listening to the rest of her words. She responded to the dark wolf sitting down with a small, contemptuous twitch of her lips. Both should know that she could leap forward in that moment, catching the dark woman unawares; but Ves didn’t want to waste the energy quite yet. Were the carelessness continue, she would have taken it as an insult to her capabilities, but they weren’t at that point yet.

“I believe I addressed the fact that it’s hard for a loner to claim one place.” Vesper actually didn’t sound mocking and scornful for once, merely conveying words. “You’re right; I like to keep moving. Follow where the prey is, see some new sights, get some new information.” She returned her shoulder to the bark of the narrow tree beside her, though contrary to how it looked, she didn’t fully change her late. Balance was a critical concept to her.

“I was tempted to stay because of those pretty blue eyes of yours,” she teased, “but the truth is that I’ve not felt like traveling lately. I covered some ground then returned because there seemed to be food here, not a lot of new canine scents covering the place.”

Her reasoning was logical enough, and Evane actually didn’t play a large part in it. Vesper simply wasn’t going to waste energy trying to avoid her—and the thought of meeting her was tempting to her curiosity, something she wouldn’t try to fight against even if she didn’t actively follow the black wolf.

She smirked and shrugged. “But yes, I’m glad to know I haven’t made you angry.”

<style type="text/css">
.angryvesp b {font-weight:bold; color:#9a658d; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#1b364d 1px 1px 1px;}
.angryvesp t {font-style:italic; color:#9a658d; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#1b364d 1px 1px 1px;}
.angryvesp .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.angryvesp {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#2c597f; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/1zme93o.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 400px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#c2cdcd; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

WC:325

Evane shrugged when the coywolf turned down her offer. "Suit yourself," she said, flickering her tail as she slowly sank to her stomach. Now she was really being careless, seeing as how easily Vesper could just simply pounce and kill her, but, of course, Evane had her hopes.

"I was tempted to stay because of those pretty blue eyes of yours." "Oh?" Her grin faded. And it didn't return when Vesper stated her real reason. She narrowed her eyes into the blue ones of the hybrid. Well, that was a logical enough answer to satisfy the wolf. Nothing to elaborate, and not too suspicious.

And yet it didn't seem good enough as an answer for some reason. It was as if Evane was expecting something more from the coywolf, like to fight just for the heck of it or something. But why? Was it because of her ruthless background that made her expect such things from Vesper's kind? She blinked to clear her mind of such thoughts and turned back to the rabbit lying dead in front of her.

In some ways, Evane and the smaller mammal were alike: both were internally dead. And yet, the ebony wolf desperately tried to hide that from herself. Was it to keep the pain away?

After what seemed like forever, Evane rose back to her feet. "I'll...see you around, I suppose. I mean, if you're still residing here."

She turned her back on Vesper, but then made a connection: The coywolf was the source of her problems. Evane even stated that herself. So why not use the opportunity that was wide open right now?

She slowly turned her head back to the hybrid, her eyes staring at the ground, "If...If you need a...a place to stay...my cave can be to your convenience."

And the wolfess unhurriedly began to trot off, slow enough to let Vesper decide.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Vesper narrowed her eyes slightly as the dark wolf settled down onto her stomach, but she made no move again. She didn’t like to be the one to provoke a fight unless she had severe emotional stock in it; defense was the best way to test out and tire out the opponent. She let her gaze flicker over the female’s form again, this time looking for signs of experience. She was somewhat slender, but she seemed to carry the same compact muscles that the hybrid had.

Evane’s demeanor changed again when Vesper answered her question; she turned either serious or disappointed, the loner couldn’t tell. What kind of reason had she been expecting Vesper to stick around? As interesting as the black wolf was, she wasn’t the only interesting canine Vesper had ever met. She was just one of hundreds that lived around ’Souls.

There was silence as those sky blue eyes dropped to the rabbit, and then the bejeweled wolf stood. She turned away with a halfhearted farewell, and Vesper stared at her back in confusion until Evane added—almost uncertainly, shyly, hesitantly—that she could use her cave.

“No, no, no—” The coywolf quickly trotted after her, walking at a pace where her shoulder lined up with the dark wolf’s hip, a safe distance behind those formidable jaws. “Do you have multiple personalities or something?” She flicked her torn ear and snorted. “Though I have no doubts you’d slit my throat in my sleep if I roomed with you in your cave.”

She broke out into a canter, her lope bringing her in front of Evane, where she swung around to meet her gaze. “First you’re hostile, and now this. Don’t make the mistake of assuming I’m a fool, Evane. You’re trying something.”

Why didn’t she just walk away? Vesper didn’t know the answer anymore.

<style type="text/css"> .angryvesp b {font-weight:bold; color:#9a658d; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#1b364d 1px 1px 1px;} .angryvesp t {font-style:italic; color:#9a658d; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#1b364d 1px 1px 1px;} .angryvesp .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;} .angryvesp p {padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;} .angryvesp {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#2c597f; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/1zme93o.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 400px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#c2cdcd; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;} </style>[/html]
[html]

Evane paid Vesper no mind when the hybrid began to follow her. She merely kept at her pace as she listened to the coywolf rant. "Do you have multiple personalities or something?" The ebony wolf stayed silent as Vesper said a few more sentences.

"I didn't have any intention of slitting your throat, thank you very much," Evane countered. She quickened her pace, but Vesper stopped in front of her, causing the wolf to pause.

"You're trying something." My, my, this coywolf was smart, wasn't she? Evane forced herself not to grin, which proved an easy task, and replied casually, "I don't believe so, Vesper. If I was, would I not be more obvious?"

Zas'parsus began to walk around the tawny wolf. "Now, if you want a temporary home for now, I suggest you follow me." She slowed her pace again as she trotted toward the North, keeping her blue eyes forward so Vesper would assume that she was telling the truth. Evane had learned that trick far too long ago by her deceased mentor, and it proved helpful up to this point. But would it work with this cautious coywolf...?

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

My post is shorrrt. Also, I'm excited. x3

The dark wolf stopped when the smaller canine stepped in front of her, pointing out that she would be “more obvious” if she were trying something. The would-be innocent question made the coywolf’s eyes narrow scornfully, and her smirk deepened with a cruel edge.

“Well, if you were trying to be discreet, you would not be more obvious. You’re simply failing at subtlety.”

She remained still as Evane stepped around her, picking her pace back up again as she walked north busily. She continued to stand that way for a few moments, her face impassive as she thought. It was obvious that Evane was trying to trick her; why else would she change her tactics during their meeting? She’d been angry with Vesper for some reason, and now she was offering her a temporary place to stay, as if the coywolf needed it.
What was she planning? Vesper was too curious to pass this up.

“I can find my own home if I’m in need of one,” the small female remarked as she trotted after Evane. “But I will play your games for now, sweet siren.”

<style type="text/css"> .angryvesp b {font-weight:bold; color:#9a658d; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#1b364d 1px 1px 1px;} .angryvesp t {font-style:italic; color:#9a658d; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#1b364d 1px 1px 1px;} .angryvesp .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;} .angryvesp p {padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;} .angryvesp {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#2c597f; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/1zme93o.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 10px 0px 400px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#c2cdcd; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;} </style>[/html]
[html]

Sorry for the delay; I got caught up in a crap load of work. D: But I'll be on more this week, don't worry.

Evane stayed silent as Vesper pointed out her fumble, which she had planned would happen. She didn't want to be too innocent, nor too suspicious, and having the coywolf follow her out of curiosity was safe enough for the licorice wolf. She would take this slowly, gaining Vesper's trust little by little...then burn it to the ground. But that would be later on. The "innocence" already failed, so this would have to work or this would all be for nothing.

Evane could hardly hide a smirk as Vesper decided to go along with Zas'parsus' game, but she managed to keep her face straight. Her ear twitched with a metallic ring at the words "sweet siren", but she didn't turn back to face the hybrid as she trotted toward her destination.

She had gone some ways from her cave, but she knew the lands far too well for her to get lost. Oxymoolé made sure that Evane knew these woods as well as the back of her paw just in case an un-welcomed canine wandered upon her being. She lightly shook her head to clear her mind of the thought of the ruthless coywolf with the striking green eyes as the coal-colored cavern came into view. "We're here," she stated, stopping at the entrance.

The wolfess turned back to the tawny wolf and blinked.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

It's okay! I didn't mind the wait. <3 Also, I wrote this during my biology lecture, so sorry if it sucks. xD

The black wolf was silent as the pair of females walked deeper into the dark forest. Little sunlight was strong enough to pass both through the barrier of clouds and the thickly meshed leaves, and so it was cool and gloomy here. Pupils dilated in pale blue eyes as Vesper sought out the dark shape of the canine in front of her, careful not to let her slip away. It seemed obvious that Evane knew this part of the forest better than she did; there were probably several hiding places that she could make a break for if she chose to change the game up again. Still, Vesper was used to roaming, and while she didn’t have the home advantage here, she thought she was flexible enough to adapt in case this situation turned ugly.

In the silence of the forest, their muffled footfalls and the jingle of earrings was the only sound to be heard. The dark ear flicking at her teasing words made the coywolf smirk—in this case a real sly, self-satisfied smirk, not the parody of a smile her face automatically transformed into something less warm. Did the pet name make her uncomfortable?

A shame, really. She’s kind of pretty.

A dark mouth of a cavern yawned ahead of them. She sniffed the air quickly to make sure there were no other scents that might indicate an ambush, and then two pairs of blue eyes met as Evane turned toward her, silent after unnecessarily stating that they had arrived.

“Now what?” Vesper asked simply, two words in exchange for two words. She lifted her chin slightly, challenging the dark wolf to go onward. She’d stated already that she was not interested in a home—especially not cohabitation with a shifty woman she barely knew.

[html]

Sorry about the crap post, I had to hurry a bit with this one. >.<"

Evane said nothing in response as she walked forward into the dark cave, not turning back to see if the hybrid was following. She instantly inhaled a deep breath through her nostrils and held her breath for a second or two. When she received the information from her brain that the place was free from any disturbances or unknown visitors, she exhaled and wrinkled her nose. The distinctive scent of the coywolf still reeked in the air, but most of it probably came from the tawny canine that Evane brought along. Though it was hard to tell, coywolves had a much more noticeable fragrance to the wolfess, and it was one she could never forget.

I just hope that Vesper won't make it any more present than it already is.

"I don't expect it to be very luxurious or anything of the sort, but it is well enough for a wolf to live in," Evane said straightforwardly, turning her head towards the top rightmost corner of her cavern. In a way, it was like a little tent made of of rock, as were all of the corners in this cave. Evane never directly asked him, but Oxymoolé hinted several times that he dug out the middles of the slabs of rock by himself, which led Evane to believe that he was a Luperci (How in the world could a non-Luperci perform such a feat?). Although she was not one herself, she had no real intention of becoming one at the moment, but every time she passed by or entered one of those rocky tents, a long list of reasons why to be a Luperci popped in her head.

"If it ever happens to be of use at any point, that corner is yours," Zas'parsus affirmed, occasionally blinking at Vesper, "Though I don't know if it will suit you. Unless you're used to resting with your back up against the wall every now and then."

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
A bit of mouth from Ves. xD

Evane explained that the cave wasn’t very luxurious, and Vesper nodded as she looked at it, not sure if she should venture deep inside. After all, it wasn’t as if she was planning on staying. With a sideways glance at the dark wolf, she simply said, “I’ve slept in much worse conditions.”

Honestly, there were long stretches of time where she hadn’t had a den at all, instead exposed to the elements. Those were the few days that she’d creep back to sleep with her family as a pup, cuddling up with the sister she resented by day. The thunder would always make Sparrow whimper, and Vesper would lick her ears until she fell asleep, their small mother curled tightly around them.

She stepped a little closer until the she-wolf spoke again, stating that Vesper had dibs on the corner, which was sheltered with rocks. It seemed like a nice and secure place, but as Evane went on, the coywolf’s large ears lowered against her head, and she gave her a sharp and suspicious look.

“I’d rather not sleep backed against a wall. Then again, I’d rather not sleep here at all.”

She came closer, destroying the space between them almost defiantly, though she didn’t hover close enough to touch. Still, the scent of the female was ever stronger in her nostrils, and she resisted the urge to breathe deeply. It was such an odd scent, though she imagined other lone female wolves smelled similarly. It might have been a product of the cave or the forest, but it piqued the hybrid’s interest almost as much as the woman’s intentions.

“Why are you offering me this?” Vesper asked, hoping to meet and hold her gaze for a few moments. “And don’t tell me out of the goodness of your heart; I don’t buy altruistic bullshit like that.” She curled her lip slightly but showed no aggression other than that. “I’m tired of the guessing games, sweetheart—cut to the goddamn chase.”

[html]

So SORRY SORRY SORRY for late posting. D: I've been a bit busy...I'll try harder, I promise.
Also, sorry for the short post; I gotta go pretty quick.

Evane stepped back, more in disgust rather than surprise, as the coywolf drew near. Her eyes narrowed as her brows furrowed. Vesper stated that she was tired of the games, and that the ebony wolf should just cut to the chase already and get it over with.

Well, at least the hybrid wasn't as stupid as she thought.

"I always knew that your kind was impatient, but I never expected you to be as dumb as this," she scolded with a hint of confusion in her voice, "Why in the name of God would you follow me anyway, coywolf? Was it because your were just curious or something more?"

Zas'parsus took two more steps back as her body lowered to the ground. "You know what, Vesper, you're making me even more sick than I thought you would. I might as well dispose of you now instead of while you're sleeping. I'm growing so irritated of your sickening presence, and, quite simply, your entire breed. Why won't all of you just die already?"

Her eyebrows arched a bit more.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
Oh, that's perfectly fine! I've been a bit busy, too. :3 Also, warning for meanness and overuse of italics ahead. xD

Finally, everything was out in the open, and Vesper wasn’t entirely sure if she was happy about it.

Evane went into a rant almost, sneering about the hybrid’s species while calling her impatient, dumb, and overall sickening. Stepping back, her larger and darker body half crouched. She had snapped, dropping her act altogether and letting her unconditional resentment come forward. She ended her protest with an exasperated demand for death, her eyebrows quirked in a way that seemed so casual and conversational in heavy contrast with her acidic words.

The coywolf stood in stunned silence for a few seconds, but slowly her appearance began to shift. Her lips drew back to show her teeth, and her smoky-splashed hackles stood up along her brown neck. Her own paws carried her backward, maintaining the gap between them instinctively, though part of her wanted nothing more than to fill the space with tooth and claw.

Her voice did not betray this anger, however, instead remaining smooth if a little cold. “I followed you to see what the hell was going on. It’s best to find out what your enemy is planning; otherwise, you could have been laying traps all throughout the forest, and I wouldn’t have known.” She took in a deep breath through her nose.

“I’m so sorry I’ve sickened you.” Heat scathed a path through her words as she bristled more. “Is that because I don’t follow your lies like a retarded puppy? I’ve done absolutely nothing to you. I’ve said a few not nice words, yes, but all you have to do is chase me off if I come close, and ignore that I exist the rest of the time. Calling for the death of my kind is a little extreme, don’t you think? Are you so helpless that all you can do is whine?”

Her position and tone reversed then, voice coming harsh through gnashing teeth as she took a stiff-legged step forward, daring the dark wolf to do something about her protests.

“And the racist bullshit—I didn’t expect something so pathetic coming from you. A wolf as black as you raped and killed my mother, and yet I don’t dislike you because you’re a wolf.”

Vesper snarled. “I don’t like you because you’re a snake.”

[html]

Ouch! xD How can I compete with that?!

Evane remained silent and still as Vesper told her off, not once flinching at the sharpness or crudeness in her tones or words. In all truth, she agreed with almost everything the hybrid was saying; even the part about her being a serpent. Nonetheless, the ebony wolf viewed herself as one, feeding off nothing more than the pain she wished would be inflicted on the ones she hated most.

Almost off-topic, Evane asked casually as if Vesper's threatening step forward was nothing, "Tell me, Vesper: you say that you didn't expect something as low as that from me. Yet do you even know me? Do you know even the smallest amount of hell that I've been through?"

Still not engaging in the violent actions of the coywolf, she continued, "All of my hate is directed towards your kind because of the pain they have caused to me and my family, not you in particular. However, I feared that maybe you were part of the group that did such things to torture me for the rest of my life. Excuse my assumptions."

Her head flickered up the slightest bit. "Not to be rude in any way possible, but I see a lot of Oxymoolé in you. The crudeness, impatient-ness, the confidence to instantly jump into battle...All of it is the same. I suppose that other coywolves are varied in demeanor, but you and him...are what make me scold. I hoped not to meet one like that old fool again...but it seems that my prayers go unanswered."

Evane's body rose back to its normal posture, and her eyes wandered to the dirt floor. "I'm very sorry for my rudeness," Evane apologized purely, but when her eyes glared back into Vesper's, her mood changed entirely, "Perhaps the fight I promised you will make it up."

Her white-tipped tail flickered back and forth once, almost in a taunting way.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
Please tell me if something in this post is unclear! She's only attacking in the last paragraph. I'll PM you to see where we want the fight to go!

Evane asked how Vesper could assume anything about her if she didn’t know her, and with a small shrug and frown, she answered softly, “Faith in others?” Her words were hardly audible, however, and she made no effort for them to be heard. Honestly, that was hypocritical to say because she always assumed others were idiotic and had bad motivations, but she didn’t think the world was evil. However, she hadn’t expected the she-wolf to be bigoted like she was simply because she’d had little experience with racism. Maybe a wolf curled their lip at her because she smelled coyote, but she hadn’t actually had a conversation or fight with one.

Evane explained that she hated the hybrids in general for what they’d done, and the coywolf scoffed. She was basically admitting that her hatred had no ground. “You made wrong assumptions and should get over it, then. I’m not asking you to like me or ever want to see me again, but wanting to kill me for something that happened in the past?” Her voice was no longer venomous, simply logical and steady in the tide of hatred flashing between the two females.

The black wolf said she didn’t mean to be rude, which brought the scorn and growling back into Vesper’s demeanor, but there was really nothing she could say about reminding her of an old enemy. That was slightly more understandable than hatred of an entire breed, and she could see herself getting on edge if she met a wolf who reminded her of Marcel or a coyote that reminded her of Oliver. The respective scars seemed to burn as she thought of those fights—all in her head, of course, more of an acknowledgment than a symptom—and she shifted her weight.

After an apology, the black wolf’s sky-blue eyes flicked sharply into the hybrid’s narrowed ones. “Perhaps the fight I promised you will make it up,” she said, tail dancing behind her.

Vesper frowned silently for a moment, considering this. She was sure that they could talk this out and she could be on her way, but that last flash of white at the end of her tail made her focus sharpen. She knew that this fight, if she chose to accept the challenge, would not be to the death. She wanted to prove her match against this dark wolf, get a message across that they shouldn’t mess with each other, then walk off and lick her wounds in silence. She’d skirt around this section of the forest until her memory faded, and she could pretend Evane never existed.

Her eyes remained level with the dark wolf’s, but her attention drifted downward to the dark legs. They were the thinnest bones in reach, and a crushed paw would definitely be a lasting token from a fight. Strong jaws hovered over those legs, however, jaws that could come down and bite in retaliation.

Vesper made up her mind.

There was no posturing, no noise, no preamble to her movement. She charged forward, diving and aiming to deliver a strong bite to a leg or paw. Her ears were pinned fast against her skull, making them hard to tear at, and her hackles rose stiff on her neck.

[html]

...Derp...Sorry for being three days late. >.<

Evane's brow arched when the coywolf's blue eyes wandered upon her legs, and she slowly stepped back in caution. It was obvious that Vesper was considering her offer, and by the looks of it, she was probably imagining something pretty nasty for the wolf.

Evane twitched her ears, pondering whether or not fighting Vesper was such a good idea at this point, and as the metallic bing rang through the air, the choice was crystal clear.

Vesper was running. Not away from Zas'parsus, but at her. The wolfess's tail flickered once more as she visioned her movements to evade the tawny canine's first assault.

But all of her planning faded away as the licorice eyebrows of the semi-hybrid furrowed into a tight scowl. She began to run forward toward Vesper, folding her ears back onto her skull as her blood-stained fangs opened, ready to chomp down on whatever came into its path. Her silvery-grey paws thunderously footed into the loose dirt as she charged forward.

She hadn't fought against anyone since Oxymoolé was killed at her own claws, so she had no idea what her level of skill and power rested at. This would be a good test for later, especially if a much larger, more hellish being just happened to come along.

As she drew nearer to the coywolf, the haunting image of her dead mentor's lush green eyes impressed itself onto her mind, and his eyes never once moved away.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]