What Was That Noise?
[html]

This takes place after Blind gets accepted to the CD pack (yay!) and decides to go explore Ethereal Eclipse. WC: 298

Wow it’s dark in here, Blind muttered as she traversed the lonely forest. She had come up with the idea to explore the Eclipse in order to test her bravery, but now she was beginning to think this was a bad idea.

The branches of the tall trees formed strange shapes up above, almost like snarling faces telling Blind to go home. Home…now she had one, and referring to the Crimson Dreams territory as such still felt weird. But one thing was for certain: she was glad she didn’t have to go looking for a place to sleep anymore.

Trotting through the mess of leaves, twigs, and sparse grass, Blind listened intently to her surroundings. All was quiet – at least for now – and she preferred it that way; the last thing she wanted was for some vicious creature to sneak up on her.

Blind’s heart began to pound as she entertained this idea. Cut it out, she thought, you’re only scaring yourself. She had to be brave; that was her sole purpose for coming out here in the first place. If she could bring some sort of proof home from her journey, too, it would be all the better.

A soft ‘crunch’ in the distance caught Blind’s attention. She immediately froze, her muscles tense and powered with adrenaline. Her heart beat faster and faster as she grew terrified at the thought of defending herself. Who am I kidding?! Blind mused. I can’t defend myself!

Suddenly a shadow became visible maybe a few yards before her, nothing but a deformed mass with a set of pointy ears at this distance. Was it another wolf? Had she wandered too far and stumbled into her pack’s enemy territory? Her stomach climbed into her throat as she stood glued to the spot.

<style type="text/css">
.blackblind b {font-weight:bold; color:#eeeba7; letter-spacing:1px;}
.blackblind .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.blackblind p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.blackblind {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#212327; background-image:url(http://i54.tinypic.com/14wq61j.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:45px; padding: 450px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#9da7ba; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Wow this post sucks. xD Sorry!

Vesper had been wandering around Seabreeze Brink quite a lot lately, her paws carrying her along the beaches and into the forests and looping around further north once again. It was repetitive, and yet for some reason she couldn’t bring herself to go further southwest toward the tip of the peninsula. She wasn’t particularly worried about it, but she preferred roaming the territories that she’d explored thoroughly, where she knew where the prey ran. In addition, AniWaya was in that direction, and the news about the new dictator concerned her. What would the tribe do if they caught a non-luperci coywolf near their territory?

The tawny female gave her head a shake as the thoughts assaulted her. She was traveling deeper into Ethereal Eclipse than she was used to today, and she needed to be focused on the present rather than on trivial thoughts. It was as dark as always in the thick woods, and much cooler than it had been in the weeks past. Autumn had leaped in; it would touch the leaves a multitude of colors and flick some away with its tail.

She sighed and let her eyes close for a brief moment—listening to the rustle of the forest canopy, the patter of a mouse darting under a small pile of leaves. She inhaled the scent of bark and prey and mold and wolf—

Blue eyes opened slowly, and the coyote hybrid turned her head, ears swiveling. A wolf had gone past here not too long ago—a non-luperci, female—but while the smell was familiar, she could not place. It certainly wasn’t Evane, whose scent she would have recognized. She sniffed again, lowering her nose to the ground and trying to place it with a face, a name, anything.

No cigar. She’d have to go find this canine.

The scent didn’t portend danger or any nonsense, so she knew the last encounter she’d had with this person hadn’t been a negative one. She broke out into a quick trot, catching up with the scent after a while. There was the flicker of a shadow in the trees, something nearly impossible to make out for its dark coat.

Vesper began to run, her paws crunching on the few fallen leaves left over from the last year. She swung in an arc around the stranger until she was somewhere in front of her. She would often get others’ attention from behind, adding a layer of panic to them, but she didn’t feel like playing manipulative games today.
The wolf had frozen, Vesper could barely see—and the scent of fear wafted ever so slowly toward her. She frowned briefly then stepped forward, her gait casual and posture loose while her eyes calmly appraised the female coming ever closer into sight.

“Blind,” Vesper said, eyes widening and head cocking. She’d instantly associated the name with those eyes, whose dual colors she could finally see at this distance. Those eyes were not blind, but they were brilliant, and they brought a smirk to her face. “Well, hello. How have you been?” Her voice was not overly friendly, mostly amused and polite. She gave the air another sniff, and the musk of other wolves came to her, too strong to be a quick brush with another random stranger. “You smell different.” Had she joined a pack?

<style type="text/css"> .vesparrow b {font-weight:bold; color:#c68e58; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #503924; } .vesparrow t {font-style:italic; color:#c68e58; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #503924; } .vesparrow p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;} .vesparrow {margin:0 auto; width:480px; background-color:#dfc4a8; background-image:url(http://i53.tinypic.com/2iqoilg.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #827262; border-radius:30px; padding: 10px 0px 400px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#827262; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:15px; text-align:justify;} .vesparrow .ooc {margin:5px 0px 10px 0px; font-style:italic; letter-spacing:1px; text-align:center; width:100%;}</style> [/html]
[html]

Haha no it's great, no worries Smile

The shadow grew closer and closer as Blind stood shaking in her fur. She kept trying to tell herself to be brave, but it wasn't working out as well as she had hoped. However, as frightened as she was, she couldn't bring herself to run, for there was some kind of familiarity in the smell of this newcomer that kept her still.

As her heart slowed to a quick patter, the scarred head of a coywolf poked through the darkness. Blind's eyes widened; it was the female she'd met in the city! She had hoped that she might run into her again, and there she stood, as if in answer to her thoughts.

Letting out a sigh of relief, she smiled widely and fidgeted where she stood, bouncing around on eager paws. As the coywolf greeted her and asked her of her well-being, Blind darted forward and draped her neck over the coywolf's in a sort of hug. Boy am I glad to see you! she squeaked. Then, backing up so she could look at the tattered female, she added, I thought you were a monster!

Blind had noticed the way in which the coywolf paid close attention to her eyes, and she had always tried to look back as friendly as possible. There was something about the female that Blind grew keen on, something that compelled her to desire a closer relationship than just a passing 'hello.' Perhaps it was the intrigue in a hybrid species unlike anything she had ever encountered before. But Blind had admired her boldness as well, and figured the pull resulted from the desire to be brave like the scarred female.

Oh, and I've been doing great! Blind exclaimed in answer to her question. I have a family now, the Crimson Dreams pack! she added. She then remembered how the coywolf had mentioned not having a home, and she suddenly felt selfish and sad, like she had taken something from the female. She wanted to bring the coywolf to her new home, to give her a place to stay and food to eat. But she knew she didn't have the authority to do that. Maybe one day, she thought longingly.

The concept of becoming Luperci had occupied the majority of Blind's thoughts lately, and seeing this stranger again reminded her about the conversation she had overheard between her and the dark male. The coywolf didn't seem to be too happy about the idea of a shifter, and Blind wondered if telling her about the possibility of her transformation might ruin the chances of forming a friendship with her. Blind decided that if it came up, she would tell her. But for now she would keep quiet.

Tipping back to sit on her haunches, Blind smiled warmly at the coywolf. And how have you been? she asked.

<style type="text/css">
.blackblind .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.blackblind {margin:0px auto; width:475px; background-color:#212327; background-image:url(http://i54.tinypic.com/14wq61j.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:45px; padding: 450px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#9da7ba; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>

[/html]
[html]
Awwwww! I love Blind. x3

The tenseness left the younger female’s body with a relieved exhale, and an unusually broad smile brightened her dark face. She seemed like she couldn’t contain herself, and Vesper began to smirk at her childish bouncing—until the girl bounced over to her and wrapped her neck close in a canine embrace. For a moment, the coywolf could feel heat shooting up into the tips of her ears, and her wide-eyed expression was awkward at best when the girl had skipped away again, declaring that she’d thought the hybrid was a monster.

“I do look pretty terrifying,” Vesper decided, clearing her throat then recovering from her moment with a smirk. She bared her teeth for effect. “Who says I’m not a monster?” she teased with a tilt of her head. She doubted she could be seen as scary except perhaps to cubs. Some distrusted her for her scarred appearance, but her size and even her gender made her seem less scary than a hulking male brute might have. She didn’t even think anyone had been afraid of her, except perhaps those closest to her in her life—and maybe Oliver seconds before he died.

She shook herself mentally, hopping back on track when Blind enthusiastically answered her conversation starter. She said that she had a family—a pack—and the words made Ves’ ears stand up with interest and a hint of confusion. Why she’d expected anything different was beyond her; most wolves did like to find a group to call home, especially one who was new and young in the world of ’Souls. She blinked then smirked—her default expression, as she could never quite manage the warmth of a full-on smile—before sitting down.

“What is Crimson Dreams like, then?” Vesper liked knowing as much about the packs in Nova Scotia as possible, especially with the rumored conflicts in the Tribe. There was a possibility she’d find a place for herself, but she doubted it would be anytime soon.

It might have been her heritage that played a part in that. Coyotes were more or less solitary, perhaps forming small clans for ease of hunting or to raise a litter before moving on alone again. Wolves, on the other hand, had an innate sense of socialization and family. Her coyote side, her mother’s side, meant that she was fully content alone—while the wolf side remained dormant, waiting for a chance to find a pack worthwhile.

The warmth the girl—a young adult, though Vesper thought of her as a girl for their six-month age difference—was exhibiting made her feel awkward. It wasn’t a bad awkward, wasn’t making her feel uncomfortable, but it was definitely not expected from a random acquaintance. She must really have been thrilled I’m not a monster, she thought, smirking. She outwardly shrugged when the question was turned on her.

“I’ve been okay, same as always. My life isn’t quite as eventful as yours, sweetheart.” The coywolf let out a soft chuckle then thought for a moment of what else to say. “I met a horse,” she said, thinking of the grey cob and the white singer, “and I met a talking cat.” Luckily, her heel hadn’t ached her after the bite the feline had given it.

<style type="text/css"> .vesparrow b {font-weight:bold; color:#c68e58; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #FFFFFF; } .vesparrow t {font-style:italic; color:#c68e58; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #FFFFFF; } .vesparrow p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;} .vesparrow {margin:0 auto; width:480px; background-color:#dfc4a8; background-image:url(http://i53.tinypic.com/2iqoilg.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #827262; border-radius:30px; padding: 10px 0px 400px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#827262; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:15px; text-align:justify;} .vesparrow .ooc {margin:5px 0px 10px 0px; font-style:italic; letter-spacing:1px; text-align:center; width:100%;}</style> [/html]
[html]

Tee-hee, thanks. She is quite the goob ^^

Every bit of fear drained from Blind's body as the coywolf smirked at her comment. She was exceptionally happy that she had run into someone she knew. Though life at Crimson Dreams was great, it was hard not knowing anyone. She wanted to fit in, to run and play with the others and make friends, but she knew that not everyone liked having a needy little tag-along join their fun. Blind felt simply lucky that the coywolf had not seemed too perturbed by her appearance.

The scarred female teased about being a monster, baring her teeth as she did so, and Blind smiled. You're not scary-looking, silly, she said with a chuckle, I just didn't know what you were at first!

Blind wondered what the older female might be thinking, noticing her sudden dazed look. When the coywolf shook her head, Blind blinked and waited patiently. She then asked Blind what Crimson Dreams was like, and she shrugged, looking away.

It's really neat, she said, but I don't know hardly anyone. There is one wolf who came to greet me at the border when I wanted to join...we've gotten to be friends pretty well. But she's a much higher rank than me, and since our pack is currently at war with another, she's often busy. I feel bad asking her to come hunting or exploring with me, but other than her, I don't know anyone else. Realizing that it might sound like she was speaking ill of her new home, Blind quickly added, But it's very nice to have a family again.

When Blind asked the coywolf how she was doing as well, she told her that she was fine and that she had met a horse and a talking cat. Blind's eyes widened. A talking cat?! she gasped. Really?! I don't know what your definition of 'eventful' is, but that sounds pretty eventful to me! What happened?

Blind leaned forward, rocking side to side a little where she sat. She hadn't heard a good story in a long time, and she thought that maybe this funny little coywolf might like talking about herself and her day, seeing as she didn't have anyone to talk to otherwise. Blind remembered the days when something would happen that she wished she could talk to someone about, and how terrible she felt when the realization of her lonliness hit her like a kick in the gut. Surely then this coywolf wouldn't mind indulging Blind's childish curiosity, even for a moment?

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]
Wrote this while skipping class. >>

Blind smiled at her show of teeth, insisting that she wasn’t scary. “I just didn’t know what you were at first!”

Vesper smirked then nodded, looking around at the shadowed forest and the thick leaves that hardly let any light down. “It’s damn hard to see in a forest as dark as this. Ethereal Eclipse is a suiting name.”

She would have been quite nervous herself if she hadn’t known this forest a little bit better, after her frequent trips through here. She at least knew which direction to run in if things got dangerous, and her small size was definitely an asset in a cramped space like this. She could shoot between closely-grown trees quicker than most canines; even the faster and stronger secui form of most luperci was too large to fit through.

Blind said nothing during her moment of woolgathering, but once Vesper stopped daydreaming and asked about the pack, her first reaction was to shrug and avert those intriguing eyes. She explained that, being new to the pack, she didn’t know many wolves there. For some reason, the vision of another blue-eyed dark wolf came to Vesper’s mind, and she remembered the girl who’d talked about coywolves being legends—but she had been off her rocker, and she doubted Blind knew her.

The girl didn’t seem altogether pleased with her lack of acquaintances there, other than for one high-ranked wolf, but Vesper hardly thought of that. Instead, she quirked a brow, lifting the scar across it. “At war with another?” She frowned and looked down at the dirt. “Would it happen to be a tribe, do you know? I heard there was a tribe—AniWaya—that was having problems.” Part of her hoped that was the case; otherwise, there was a third pack that she would have to watch out for during the conflict.

Blind seemed far more amazed than the coywolf about the talking cat, and Vesper smirked. “Well, I met it—or she, I guess—when she bit me while I was asleep on the beach. Of course, any sane canine would go chasing after it. A dog jumped out to protect it, though…” Her mind trailed forward in the events, and the image of the woman crying made her frown briefly. She glanced awkwardly at Blind, wondering how best to change the subject. “Well, the cat was a bitter old curmudgeon. And I didn’t get to eat her.”

She sighed and gave her head a small shake before looking the dark wolf over again. “Sorry I didn’t have a more interesting tale, sweetheart.” She smirked and lifted her eyes to the leaf canopy outlined in weak gold. “Well—I do have some, but they aren’t all nice.” Her injured ear flicked, and she paused a moment before reclining, settling down on her belly on the forest floor.

“But unless you want me to delve into my life story…your turn. What was that one she-wolf like, the one you liked talking to?”

<style type="text/css"> .vesparrow b {font-weight:bold; color:#c68e58; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #FFFFFF; } .vesparrow t {font-style:italic; color:#c68e58; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #FFFFFF; } .vesparrow p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;} .vesparrow {margin:0 auto; width:480px; background-color:#dfc4a8; background-image:url(http://i53.tinypic.com/2iqoilg.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #827262; border-radius:30px; padding: 10px 0px 400px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#827262; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:15px; text-align:justify;} .vesparrow .ooc {margin:5px 0px 10px 0px; font-style:italic; letter-spacing:1px; text-align:center; width:100%;}</style> [/html]
[html]

Haha naughty naughty! Tongue

Blind nodded in agreement as coywolf commented on how hard it was to see in the dense forest. She wouldn't have reacted the way that she did if she could've seen the spunky female before she was right in front of her face. She wondered how the forest might have gotten so bad, suddenly spooking herself at the thought of evil trees growling and spitting as they shot up from the ground like living dead. Her eyes widened a little and she shook her head, scolding herself mentally for being so silly.

When the dark female mentioned the war that was waging, the coywolf seemed a bit concerned. She asked if it might be the AniWayans, and Blind nodded. Those are the ones! Blind confirmed, her ear twitching a little at the sound of their name. She hadn't met an AniWayan yet, but all of the horrible stories she had heard from Soran painted a picture of vicious monsters in her head that she wouldn't soon forget.

They kidnapped a leader and pups of ours, and Crimson Dreams didn't react too happily to that, Blind said with a giggle. I wish I could help them fight, but with my leg the way it is and my stupid anxiety, I'm the last wolf they'd want in their army. Blind's ears flattened against her head, her heart dropping as she wondered if she'd ever be able to fight beside the warriors of Crimson Dreams. Though there was the possibilty that presented itself through her change to a Luperci, there was still no guarantee.

As Blind listened to the coywolf recount her story of the cat and the dog, a strange thought surfaced in her scattered mind: Maybe this tough female could teach Blind how to be brave? The corners of the dark wolf's mouth turned up in a sly grin, the image of a much tougher version of herself causing excitement to grow in her chest. She looked the coywolf over; yes, she would be the perfect teacher.

The scarred female apologized for the lack of excitement in her story and Blind giggled. No, no! she protested, giving the female an encouraging nudge under her chin with her nose, I thought it was a wonderful story, and I'd love to hear the tales of your life someday. I'd tell you mine, but I don't really know it! Blind chuckled and lowered onto her belly, mirroring the coywolf. And the friend I met at the border, she added in response to the female's question, is very kind and willing to help whenever she's needed. She was very patient, and quick to make me feel right at home. She's a great-grandmother, and I'm sure she's very good at being such. I look up to her a lot.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]
<3

Blind confirmed that AniWaya was the pack at war with Crimson Dreams, and Vesper frowned thoughtfully. It was unusual to think the dark girl in front of her would be participating in war. She had a real stock in what was going on, while Ves was merely a loner avoiding some trouble. Pack conflicts often had an effect on the surrounding wolves and prey sources, especially as they gathered the resources they needed. The coywolf had been lucky in her youth to be far from packs, but it was hard to tread in Nova Scotia without meeting an aligned wolf, it seemed.

The she-wolf explained that a leader and children had been kidnapped from the tribe, and the coywolf nodded. That was a serious enough catalyst for war; the motives of AniWaya weren’t as clear, however. She would investigate this matter more thoroughly when it became important to her, but for now, she only listened to the heterochromatic girl.

Blind mentioned that she wouldn’t be of much use in battle, her ears lowering rather unhappily. The hybrid’s blue eyes meanwhile darted to her leg in confusion. She’d known that something was off when they met at Halifax, but now that she knew to look for something, she could see that one was shorter than the others, which would make movement difficult. She did not have balance, and balance was essential—something that Vesper worshipped on the level with speed in fights.

The coywolf suddenly became aware of her own injured hind paw, and her blue eyes narrowed thoughtfully.

The cheery girl giggled at her apology and poked under her chin, which made Vesper smirk again. She suddenly remembered Blind’s search for knowledge as the dark wolf settled down on the forest floor, and she wondered if she’d gotten anywhere on her quest—or if she would even like what she found. Somewhat distracted, she nodded at her explanation, blinking when she mentioned the female was a great-grandmother. It wasn’t altogether strange, considering how wolves matured and bred, but Vesper hadn’t had the chance to meet a lot of old-timers in her travels.

“Well, I’m glad you have someone to help you out in the pack. You’ll meet more wolves later.” She smirked. “Hell, you’ll probably get tired of it and want to move back out again,” she joked before standing suddenly. Her ears stood at attention, and she flashed her teeth at the younger canine. “Now… I want you to see something.”

She turned then, lifting her right hind paw slightly off the ground. The furthest two toes had been bitten off, leaving a scarred area. It wasn’t entirely gruesome, and the wound was minor compared to an entirely missing paw, but Vesper hoped that it might make something click in the dark wolf.

“I don’t walk like I have an injury, but normal movement was hell right after I got this. I had to limp around, and limping did not work well with fighting.” And hell, had she been pissed after the incident; she’d had to learn pretty quick how to deal with her new injury after stupidly aiming to attack anyone who looked at her cross-eyed. In her defense, her heart had been broken, and the taste of blood was in her mouth already, but looking back on it, she knew how foolish she’d been. She gave her head a shake then smirked again. “It’s all about balance and compromise. I might be able to show you how to defend yourself even with that bum leg of yours.”

[html]

Tongue Sorry this one's so short, I was in a rush to post while I still had motivation to write before running off to the grocery store lol.

When the coywolf mentioned perhaps wanting to run away after being in a new home for not too long, Blind tilted her head, confused. She couldn't understand why she would want to leave, but maybe this female had a reason. Did she have a past full of hideous stories, instead of a past full of fog like Blind did?

Then the female turned around, showing Blind a very injured paw. Her eyes widened and she hopped up on her feet, circling the coywolf curiously. You're just like me, she finally whispered. She then grew very excited at the thought of learning from this woman, wondering if, again, her mother had sent Blind this stranger; she couldn't believe her luck with the canines she had run into thus far.

Poking at the coywolf's foot very cautiously with her own paw, Blind asked, What happened? Did that dog attack you?

Blind sat back on her haunches again, her mind wandering now. She could see herself now: running alongside the best of hunters, fighting with the warriors of Crimson Dreams, overcoming her deformity... Suddenly, a new thought emerged in her mind: maybe this would mean she wouldn't have to become Luperci after all?

A smile spread across Blind's face as she looked up at the coywolf.Teach me, friend, she belted, I'm ready!

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]
PM me if anything's unclear in this post!

The girl seemed confused at her joke, tilting her head, and Vesper quickly shrugged to show that she hadn’t meant anything serious by it. “Hard to adjust to pack life after being a loner for so long,” she said with a half-smirk. She didn’t mean to sound like she had a bad life or was strictly meant to be alone, because she’d done well despite her birth and didn’t mind company. The fact that she was talking to the younger wolf was proof enough that she wasn’t antisocial.

The subject drifted to her injured paw, and Blind quickly circled around her, excitedly murmuring that they were just like each other. The coywolf started to open her mouth to disagree, but she held her tongue, not wanting to say something after she’d gotten her hopes up. It would be good if they were similar; it’d make the training that Vesper had in mind go through easier.

Gesturing at her injury, Blind asked her what had happened. The tawny hybrid quickly shook her head at the second question; though she and Bambi had been snarling at each other in preparation for a fight, the encounter had gone very, very differently in the end. Besides, it was obvious that this scar was an older one.

“Punk coyote,” Vesper said instead. “He was a young tyrant. He bit my paw and my shoulder.” She turned her head, indicating a bite mark on the shoulder of that side. “He ended up…worse off.” Quite an understatement. She gave her head a quick shake and smirked as the dark wolf sat down, looking brightly at her.

At the words “I’m ready!” the coywolf launched herself at the wolf, aiming to knock into her chest and shoulder and send her sprawling.

She had learned the hard way, through being forced to compromise for her balance in her bad paw. Of course, she made sure that her tackle wasn’t going to seriously hurt Blind, and she would give her pointers and feedback that she herself hadn’t gotten.

“First off,” Vesper said, whether or not she’d managed to knock Blind down, “balance is the key to any fight. If you get knocked down, you’re just asking for disembowelment. Your balance is off because of your leg; you need to figure out what works for you to be able to move quickly.”

She leaped back, head low and ears back. “Now attack me.”

[html]

Haha it's perfect dear no worries ^^ very cute

Blind nodded as the coywolf explained her joke, blushing a little at the fact that she hadn't realized she was teasing. Though it was hard to tell when this funny female was serious and when she was joking, Blind didn't mind so much. It would just be a while before she learned how to properly interact like a friend.

As the female corrected Blind and told her the real reason behind her injury, Blind wondered what she might have meant by 'worse off.' Feeling slightly nervous, she hoped that she wouldn't do anything to set this canine off, for she knew well that this coywolf could be quite the little fire cracker. But she didn't feel entirely threatened by her, which made her relax and focus more on a potential friendship than a potential rivalry. Though Blind knew she would have to face many enemies in the future, this coywolf was not one that she hoped would turn out that way.

Blind sat patiently, ready and willing to learn from this canine. Excitement bubbled up in her furry chest as she imagined, once again, herself fighting and hunting. She then thought that maybe, if this training proved successful, she could bring up her mental debate on shifting, and get an opinion from someone who seemed to have a different perspective on the matter than the canines she had talked to.

Blind looked at the coywolf, grinning foolishly. The scarred female seemed full of experience and wisdom, and like she...

Oof! Blind huffed as she tumbled backward. Dazed and lying flat on her back, it took the dark wolf a minute before she realized that the coywolf had barreled into her. She quickly rolled onto her tummy, staring wide-eyed at the scarred female, then listened as she explained the importance of balance in a fight. The coywolf then lowered to the ground, her ears flattening as she invited Blind to come at her. Not knowing the first thing about how to attack someone, the clumsy she-wolf lunged forward, mirroring the coywolf's moves. Blind didn't notice, however, that she had closed her eyes mid-jump, until they had opened nervously to survey her immediate surroundings and determine whether or not she had pinned the coywolf.

Like that? Blind chirped. Did I do it? Her tail wagged enthusiastically as she awaited her mentor's critique.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]

[html]

The unpreparedness of the younger canine both amused and worried Vesper, though she tried not to be too serious about it. She could go into a tirade about how one must always expect the unexpected and that such nonsense, but that was something an old fogey would do, not a two-year-old. Besides, this girl hadn’t had much hardship in her life, apparently, so she had to be glad for that rather than fret over her chances.

Vesper was successful in knocking the dark wolf down. She lashed her tail, waiting for the girl to get back up then nodding in encouragement after telling her to attack.

Blind did not waste time in leaping forward in much the same way as the coywolf had. Ves did not miss the closing of her eyes, and she anticipated the landing, quickly hopping back out of the way.

She smirked briefly at the wolf’s enthusiasm then pointed out, “You closed your eyes, sweetheart. You might miss something important if you do that. I could’ve opened my mouth up and you would’ve landed on my teeth without any way to be prepared for it.”

The tawny female quickly leaped backward again, choosing to circle around the dark wolf with a slinking, predatory gait. “Don’t be afraid to break away from an opponent. Use strength and space to your advantage. Get away if you can, and strategize—watch your opponent’s movements and figure out what place is best to attack.” She leaped in again, this time not choosing to knock the wolf down but to snap lightly at her bad leg. She hoped that Blind could move out of the way in time, but if her teeth connected, she was careful not to hurt her.

[html]

Lying splayed on the forest floor, Blind snorted in defiance at her bad luck. She quickly rose to her feet, listening as the coywolf advised her on her tactics. She felt embarrassed at the fact that she had closed her eyes; what kind of warrior does that? she thought. She would have to do better the next time if she wanted to get anywhere.

'Strength,' the spry female had said; that was something that Blind had never considered herself to have. But she wanted it, so she figured there was no better way to learn than by practice. Excitement climbed into the dark wolf's throat again as she shook herself, took a deep breath, and attempted to clear her head. No more thoughts, she mused, I can't get distracted.

Blind turned around just as the coywolf leapt at her bad leg. With a surprised yelp, the she-wolf's hindquarters vaulted into the air, barely missing her attackers sharp teeth. Then, acting once more on impulse, Blind whirled around to snap gently at the coywolf's tail. Double checking to make sure she hadn't closed her eyes this time, Blind focused on her swiftly-moving mentor. Her claws dug into the soft earth, making sure to keep her anchored in the event that she did manage to catch the female's tail, or, instead, if she decided to evade Blind's attack. Either way, she was ready now for the coywolf's next move.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]

Blind was eager, a quick learner, and Vesper could feel affection building up in her throat even as she made her practice attack. It had been a while since she’d built a relationship with another canine, at least not a positive one. Hell, she’d rarely run across the same wolf more than once. It was a big world, and yet she felt good about meeting the dark-furred girl again.

She could feel a wave of satisfaction as the legs jumped out of her reach; her teeth clicked together on empty air. Before she could follow up the attack, she felt jaws scrape her tail as Blind swung around. The coywolf let out a rather undignified yap as the girl pulled back on her, though she was pleased that the girl had managed to get a bite in.

Then she whirled around quickly, teeth aiming at the dark girl’s face. Hopefully she wasn’t too keen on holding her by the tail; otherwise, she wouldn’t be able to let go in time to avoid getting the hybrid’s jaws knocked into her.

Afterward—her tail hopefully free—Vesper stepped back and praised, her voice a little breathy, “Good job.” She grinned broadly. “You saw an opportunity and went for it, so good job. If you manage to rip off someone’s tail, there’s gonna be a lot of blood loss. You just have to be careful of how much freedom your opponent’s got to move.”

She paused, deciding to let the girl have a break, even if they hadn’t been practicing for very long at all. Instead, she’d focus on the strategy aspect for a while, rather than make the girl think on her feet—for now. “What are some other good places to attack?” Blind should hopefully have a gut feeling about those; self preservation was in every canine’s blood, and her instinct would help fill in the gaps that a lack of experience revealed.

[html]

As the coarse fur of the coywolf's tail filled Blind's mouth, it tickled her gag reflex and forced her to release. When the feisty female swung around to take a shot at her face, Blind yelped as a set of prickly teeth clamped down on her snout. She tipped backward onto her buttocks, her eyes watering at the sting. She then shook her head clear and looked at the coywolf, trying to comprehend the question she had just heard her ask.

Good places to attack? she repeated. Um, the neck? Belly? Ears? Blind watched the coywolf settle before her, glancing at those places on the small female's body as she spoke. Wincing at the thought of biting the poor girl's already mangled ear, Blind smiled affectionately at her as if trying to convince her with her thoughts that she would never even begin to hurt her.

Anticipating another lunge, Blind's muscles tensed, her bad leg aching a little in protest. This was the hardest she had worked in a long time, and it felt unusual to exercise her body in such a way. She had never needed to fight before, and she had never even play-fought with her mother. This practice was difficult at best, and she couldn't tell if she enjoyed the workout or resented the pain that resulted from it. Blind figured that the coy smile plastered across her face meant she was having fun.

Her eyes brightening, the dark she-wolf's tail began to wag enthusiastically as she realized the coywolf wasn't going to attack. A sudden bout of foolishness encouraged an almost overwhelming desire to tackle the scarred female and wrestle playfully, but she suppressed the urge with great effort. There would be time for that later, she hoped, and she couldn't make things awkward by getting too excited now. Besides, she would have to make sure she thanked the coywolf for her lessons before any playing began - the fact that she would take the time to do this in the first place meant a lot to Blind, and she wouldn't soon forget her kindness.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]
Haha, I'm running out of fighting stuff to talk about, so they can just chat for a while or something if you'd like. x3

It was amusing to see Blind launch right from getting her face nipped to rattling off answers to her fighting mentor’s question. It was even more amusing for Vesper to think of herself as a mentor to everybody; she’d actually never done anything like this, save for teaching Juniper self-defense. Those lessons had been much more…distracted.

Vesper smiled once more as she watched the girl, nodding at her answer and chuckling at the sudden wag as the girl seemed to realize the fight wasn’t continuing for the moment. She didn’t want to exhaust the poor creature, especially with her bad leg. She’d need to build stamina if she were going to be able to last in a fight or run away from one.

She went over her answers one at a time, taking a seat and letting her tail tap the ground. “The back of the neck is protected by thick fur and loose skin; you can protect it more by kind of rolling your shoulders forward, like this.” She demonstrated then smirked. “Your opponent will get a mouthful of scruff, but not much else. And you can consider a fight won if you tear their jugular vein or get a good grip on their windpipe.” And she had done the latter, but she wasn’t going to tell Blind that.

“The belly’s soft and unprotected by bone, but you gotta knock the enemy over first.” She gave her apprentice a devilish look then flicked her bad ear. “And ears are important for hearing, obviously. If you keep them pinned, you won’t get it torn off like mine.” She blinked. “And eyes, too—you need them to see. But attacking the face is always risky because of teeth.”

Vesper rose slowly, stretching her legs briefly. “The best thing to do when there’s a threat is run away, of course. Don’t take risks. If there’s no way you can get to safety, fight for your life. Just because I gave you some tips doesn’t necessarily mean you’re ready for war.” She padded closer to the dark wolf and nudged her with a shoulder. “I don’t want to see all my time and effort going to waste with you dying,” she said arrogantly before giving Blind’s ear a quick lick. The gesture of affection surprised even herself, but hey, the girl was adorable.

[html]

Haha no worries dear, we'll see if I can't come up with something Wink

Blind took mental note of every word the coywolf spoke as she sat before her. She giggled when the tough female demonstrated rolling her shoulders forward, and she winced at the mangled ear-flick. What's more, she noticed the smiles on the coywolf's face becoming softer and less forced, and Blind couldn't help but smile warmly in return. When her mentor grinned mischievously at her, the dark wolf flinched, bracing herself for another pounce. And when it yielded to nothing more than an affectionate nudge and lick on her ear, Blind's fear fled from her body and made way for a new flood of joy.

Rising to her feet, Blind chirped, I won't let you down! Thank you for teaching me. Blind's tail wagged ecstatically as she looked into the coywolf's eyes, and the urge to play quickly returned. Then, thinking herself funny whilst taking the opportunity to poke a little fun at herself, she said, Now let me teach you how to be a coward!

The dark wolf grinned foolishly as she rose to her feet. She then lowered to the ground, her belly nearly touching the soft grass, and tucked her tail between her legs. Whenever anyone approaches, she began with a lightness in her voice, you immediately fall into a submissive stance. However, don't let your ears fall back just yet because you need to be able to hear every word you need to flinch at. Blind then bowed her nose and covered it with her paws, peeking at the coywolf from just above her arm. Then, you have to make sure, she continued, that whenever you hear a noise any louder than a pup's bark, you immediately cover your face and hide - if you can't see the monster, then the monster can't see you!

Rising once more, Blind then tipped onto her back, keeping her paws tucked and her belly covered with her furry tail. Most important of all, you immediately resort to this position when anyone attacks, and whenever you trip or fall off balance. With a childish giggle, Blind rolled onto her paws and trotted back to the coywolf, nuzzling up against her. Oh yeah, she quickly added with a grin, and don't forget that no matter what anyone says, you CAN'T do it, and the world is definitely out to get you.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]
That was so cute and funny. xDD
I was smiling like an idiot reading that post!

The black wolf hopped up, enthusiastically promising that she wouldn’t let her mentor down. The hybrid smirked slightly and inclined her head in acknowledgment of the thanks. It didn’t hurt her to get a little practice in herself, and she wasn’t one of those recluses who refused to talk to others. While she was happy alone, she was also happy with company, and she had enjoyed hanging out with Blind more than she’d originally thought.

Then the girl offered to teach her how to be a coward, and Vesper’s coyote-large ears swiveled forward as a look of confusion clouded her features. What was she doing?

Quickly, Blind adopted a submissive posture, tail sandwiched between her stomach and the grass. Her wide grin was accompanied with a bright voice as she explained what to do if someone approached. Taking an uncertain seat, Vesper followed her movements and words, still unsure—but the words “you need to be able to hear every word you need to flinch at” made her break down into laughter. Smirking broadly, she watched the Crimson Dreams wolf comically cover her face with her paws and peek at her. She rolled over then, demonstrating a very important position, before hopping back up again.

“Woowww,” Vesper started, her chest still heaving with laughter, until Blind sidled up against her. Her final statement made the coywolf break down with chuckles; she might have had to hold her ribs had she been luperci. As it was, she shook her head, unable to erase her grin even if she’d wanted to, and hooked a foreleg around the girl in an awkward canine hug. Her nose pressed between Blind’s dark ears, and she muttered against her head, “You, sweetheart, are ridiculous.” Her voice was coated with amusement, and while she was teasing, one look at her face could show how much she was really enjoying this.

It had been far too long since she’d been able to have fun and laugh like this.

[html]

Really? ^^ Sweet! Mission accomplished! Haha

Blind giggled as the coywolf mimicked her moves. She didn't think she would actually follow; in fact, she was quite surprised that she was laughing instead of cuffing the she-wolf in the back of the head. Her grin grew larger at the sound of the coywolf's cackle, pleased with herself that she had brought such genuine happiness to this canine.

As the dark wolf sat in the embrace of her assumed new best friend, her heart fluttered with excitement at the thought of having such a relationship. This would be the first friendship she would have with a creature closer to her age, and for some strange reason, that prospect sent Blind's heart vibrating.

Trying to return the coywolf's affectionate gesture, Blind pressed her body against the canine and nuzzled her face gently as a happy whimper escaped her throat. Now, she thought, I just have to make sure I don't do anything to mess this up.

Suddenly realizing just how close she was to this canine, her childish desire to play escalated to the point of driving her to lean into the coywolf in an attempt to knock her onto her back. Her hunger to wrestle that resulted from her childhood deprivation had become too strong, and now she wanted to feed it.

Grinning like an idiot and her tail wagging maniacally, Blind yelped, Play time?

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]
Ahh! So cute. xD

A soft muzzle rubbed against her, and another soft smile was teased out of the scarred loner. Starved of contact that wasn’t violent, Vesper was enjoying the quasi-cuddling and the scent of the she-wolf pressed close to her lithe body. It was strange how someone who’d simply come across her once had become what she’d tentatively call a friend; after all, she had few acquaintances that really struck a spark in her, good or bad. She might have respected or somewhat liked some wolves in the past, but Blind made her laugh and relax, and she felt a lot of warmth toward the younger female.

The thought that Blind didn’t really have anyone like this in her actual pack tugged at her heartstrings a bit—as resilient as they normally were—and she hoped that the girl would find someone more stable to teach her more. She didn’t have any intention of abandoning the Crimson Dreamer, but life was never completely predictable, and she knew some event might whisk her away on her travels again. The thought made her frown slightly, but then the girl’s weight pressed into her more and more until her balance was compromised.

The coywolf grunted as she fell back on the ground, lying partially on her back and partially on her side. Her blue eyes blinked once in confusion then drifted up to Blind’s dual-colored ones as the younger woman announced childishly, “Play time?”

Vesper scoffed, rolling over onto all fours and standing, giving her tawny coat a shake to dislodge the grass and pine needles clinging to it. She gave the girl a once-over then grinned wickedly.

“You’re on.”

Without any of the agility and directness she’d executed earlier, she jumped at the dark wolf—more like a floundering puppy than an experienced predator. Her jaws attempted to capture Blind’s ear and chew on it gently while she tried to tangle their limbs, hoping to trip her new friend.