work, work, all day long
[html]

Took advantage of the PNPC Guardians. Trying to get used to this character and the situation he's in. / +7

Ephraim hummed a ditty to himself as he helped carry the sizable piece of spruce, the bark-stripped trunk balanced over his shoulder. It had been felled by some of the other wolves of the Tribe—prisoner, member, or Guardian, he did not know or care—and now he would set to work shaping a canoe. He’d been singled out from the other prisoners he’d shared the dark cabin after someone’d heard him babbling about fish, and eventually his skill at making canoes had been unearthed. He was glad to be out and about, however; another might think he hadn’t quite grasped the fact that he was below everyone else in AniWaya in Maska’s eyes.

And it was so sunny! The sky would grow dark for months at a time in some of the tundra he’d visited, but here everything was brilliant, bright—the sunlight drew out all the colors of the village. Even the sad heaps of huts destroyed by an apparent snowstorm were more vibrant, and the heat coaxed the distinct scent of the earth and wood out in the open. The eunuch broke out into a broad smile, his skin tingling from the warmth seeping through his dark brownish-grey coat.

“Quit simpering,” the Guardian behind him snapped.

Ephraim let out a content sigh. “You cannot see me simpering, friend,” he pointed out gleefully, “though I must confess I am—gah!”

A deft roll of the trunk made the weight thump against his head, and he was momentarily dizzied by the blow. He walked in silence until they’d found a nice place in the grass, a little ways off from one of the main paths. He went to his knee and dropped the spruce, glancing over his shoulder at the Guardian. They all remained nameless to him, not that he recognized this one anyway. He gave a shrug of broad shoulders then reached out with a white hand, grasping the axe that the Guardian unceremoniously shoved at him.

“I’m not sure how you make canoes here,” Ephraim drawled. “Had to be small in my clan, yes—streams not easy to navigate. But the fish! Oh, the fish was as bountiful as it was delectable.”

The Guardian pointed. “Work.”

The quarter-dog hybrid blinked a few times then grinned. “Oh, work—yes—you have to get in a rhythm, you know.” He winked and stood, holding the axe over his head in preparation to swing. He paused there, however, arms rather loose, and let his mouth form a small “o” as he looked to his current captor. “You don’t suppose you could spare me a morsel, eh? You need vittles for work, yes.” He made his brown eyes widen pathetically as a dark stare bored into him. “Oh, oh—my arms feel like jelly, pal, just like jelly. But I’ll try hard to make it work if you don’t have any food. I don’t know if there’s a deadline for this canoe thingy, but—”

An exasperated sigh. “All right. I’ll get you a snack. Wisteria is patrolling the village, though—you get any ideas about running, and she’ll shred you.” The Guardian cast one last look over his shoulder before walking off, apparently pleased to be rid of the prisoner’s presence for a while, despite his threats. Besides, with the other Guardians constantly skulking through the Village, there was no danger of the fool escaping.

Ephraim smiled innocently after him. “Oh, no, of course not. I’m not even in shape to run, eh?” He patted his ample stomach then glanced at the trunk, his giddy demeanor fading briefly as he started to swing the axe. As foolish as the eunuch acted, he was perceptive—knowing that he had to bide his time and figure out how AniWaya ran. He hadn’t gotten much information out of his fellow prisoners, as most had been too sullen to respond to his gab, but with time, he hoped to be approached by at least a normal Tribe member who knew what was going on.

For now, he played the part of the free labor, chopping away at the barkless trunk as he’d done years past. The rhythm came naturally, and the unused muscles ached sweetly with the exertion, bringing back memories of before he was cut. After a while, a little work melody whistled from his lips, and he was the cheery and naïve prisoner once more.

<style type="text/css"> .ephanoe b {font-weight:bold; color:#fff9ee;} .ephanoe t {font-style:italic; color:#fff9ee;} .ephanoe p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px; margin:0px; font-size:12px;} .ephanoe {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#ab9361; background-image:url(http://i54.tinypic.com/122yeeh.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; font-family:cambria; font-size:13px; color:#161311; line-height:20px; letter-spacing:1px; text-align:justify; text-shadow:#c0ae89 1px 1px 1px;} .ephanoe .inner {margin:5px 10px 200px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/21bn0ba.jpg); border-size:1px; border-width:1px; border-style: dotted; border-color:#6d5e3e;} </style>[/html]
OOC: Dicahli is not visible.

IC: Ayasha was currently doing her favorite thing, stalking the guardians. This new prisoner especially intrigued her. She hadn’t heard of the guardians capturing any more Crimson Dreamers. Did this mean that the male was a loner? Or worse, from another pack? She gave a soft growl at that second thought. They really needed someone to rid them of Maska. And she kept seriously considering doing it herself. She saw Dichali give her a stern look and she sighed.

The spirit guide was probably right about her not doing it. But that didn’t make it any better. So she would wait and do what small things she could to stop them. The spirits wouldn’t make them suffer too much longer right? She glanced at Dichali but the bird was neutral, not giving anything away. She gave a sigh. That wasn’t the best sign. But there wasn’t much she could do to make him talk. He was usually very talkative but when he chose to be silent it was impossible to make him talk.

She turned her attention to the newest prisoner. He was the only one that she was aware of that was allowed outside. Interesting. She wondered how much he knew. Her blues eyes light up with interest as the Guardian watching the male left to find food. She was able to hear their conversation but was behind some bushes. This was her chance to find out.

She stepped out of the bushes, glancing around as she did so. There was still another one around somewhere. Ayasha approached. ”Hello there. I’m Ayasha, a scout here. Are you new here?” She studied him and searched his face for if he was truthful or not,
[html]

+2

Ephraim struck the wood again and again, attempting to flatten out a bottom. It was difficult to visualize where he was supposed to strike without any marks, and after a while he stopped, setting the axe vertically on the ground and leaning on it as he frowned and contemplated his work. He might have to ask for some charcoal to know where to carve out the seating area for the vessel, but he’d work as long as he could up until that point. While he seemed to have no qualms with speaking foolishly to the Guardians, the mind behind that babbling mouth was quite sharp and wary of the boundaries. He was no stranger to acting the omega, submitting and joking, letting himself be bowled over.

As he wiped his sweating paw pads on his fur, panting from exertion and the sunlight seeping into his dark coat, a pale flash caught his eye. Coming out of some nearby bushes was another luperci, a teenager by the look of her. She looked alert as she emerged, as if she wasn’t really supposed to be there—which Ephraim could understand, due to his position as prisoner.

The girl greeted him, introducing herself as Ayasha the scout. He grinned broadly as she asked him if he was new, immediately dropping the axe and taking a deep and exaggerated bow. One might have expected him to break out into a happy shout at the sight of her, but the eunuch knew to keep his voice low.

“Hello there, darling girl,” Ephraim said, smiling softly now. He straightened again and looked her over. “A scout, hmm? You have the build for it, honey.” His gleeful, dumb small talk did not go on long before he addressed the question. “Don’t know how long I’ve been here, but it hasn’t been long.” His brown eyes looked warmly into her blue ones, searching carefully for any indication of her emotions. “Mostly rested up in that cabin, but I suppose your leader needed canoes and weapons and whatnot made.”

<style type="text/css"> .ephanoe b {font-weight:bold; color:#fff9ee;} .ephanoe t {font-style:italic; color:#fff9ee;} .ephanoe p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px; margin:0px; font-size:12px;} .ephanoe {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#ab9361; background-image:url(http://i54.tinypic.com/122yeeh.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; font-family:cambria; font-size:13px; color:#161311; line-height:20px; letter-spacing:1px; text-align:justify; text-shadow:#c0ae89 1px 1px 1px;} .ephanoe .inner {margin:5px 10px 200px 10px; padding:10px; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/21bn0ba.jpg); border-size:1px; border-width:1px; border-style: dotted; border-color:#6d5e3e;} </style>[/html]
This man seemed to not quite be used to the sun. What had the guardians been doing to the prisoners? If the guardians had hurt any of the prisoners, then she might have to storm the hut where they were being held and pull them out herself. Then she would plunge her daggers into Maska. Of course she wouldn’t really do that but it helped her to think about it. Maybe she should not listen to Liam as much. Like that was going to happen.

He didn’t tell her his name but that was all right. She would need to know it but she guessed she would have to be more direct. She did give him a playful roll of her eyes at the comment about her body being right for her profession. But she said nothing in response. At the mention of her leader, she shook her head. ”He’s not a very good leader. He demands respect then abuses us. He’s attacked our neighbors for allowing a couple that had pups into their protection.” She would have gone on but she knew that there was the possibility of the guardian coming back.

She studied him to see how he would react to her news. ”How are they treating you? Um, I don’t think you told me your name.” She wondered if he knew he was a prisoner. That’s what it seemed like he was and it wouldn’t be below Maska to do that. She gave a scowl at him and his stupidity.
[html]

Ephy is such a ditz. /+2

It had been too long since he’d spoken to a child, though it was quite obvious that this lovely girl wasn’t much of a child anymore. She had reached a stage of adolescence further advanced by responsibility and stress in the pack. It made him sad to see such innocence go to waste, but not every wolf could be a puppy forever. He simply wished that they could, that he could.

The scout, Ayasha, explained that the Maska fellow was not a good leader. He nodded with a thoughtful frown, absentmindedly reaching over his shoulder to give his back a quick scratch. “Why’d ya let him become leader, then?” the male asked mildly, hoping that the question wasn’t disrespectful; after all, he’d no idea what had been going on, really. There had been snatches, but with someone unfamiliar with AniWaya’s customs, he was more confused than anything.

“Someone who’d attack those sheltering pups,” he added, though unconsciously his hands drifted down again, clasping each other casually in front of his lower abdomen to hide the barely visible scars there—though anyone could tell that Ephraim was “off” because of his scent. There was a difference between a killer and someone who’d killed, though, and he couldn’t imagine why someone would punish those who wanted the best for their children. A bad leader indeed—though his question was still valid. If there was so much unrest, why hadn’t there been a rebellion yet? Or maybe there had been an unsuccessful one; he hadn’t been paying attention enough to know.

The girl asked him how they—the Guardians, he assumed—were treating him, then prompted him for his name. With a wide and sheepish grin, the eunuch gave another bow and chuckled softly. “My apologies for being so rude, sweet child. My name is Ephraim Fisher.” He rolled his neck, still smiling. “And they’re treating me all right. A little bit of manhandling when they first saw me, but it’s no big thing.”

At his question about why they let him become leader, she snorted. ”We didn’t have much choice in the matter. He showed up and changed many people’s rank and just made many of us unhappy with how he treated us. He’s not a nice man.” She was sure of that but said it quietly in case someone was listening.

She nodded at his statement, noticing his movements and wondered about them. But she knew that it was rude to ask. She might have asked when she was younger but growing up tampered her curiosity. She was still very curious but knew when to ask questions and when not to. Chitsa had indirectly taught her that.

Ayasha smiled at learning his name and said, ”It’s alright and it’s a pleasure to meet you.” She did however growl about him being man-handled. She was this close to doing something to Maska and ridding of his goons. She evenly and asked softly, ”Are there others with you?” If the guardians had others in their grasp, she might go on a carefully planned murderous rampage. Or she might try and free the prisoners and then go on the murderous rampage. But she smiled back at him. ”Is there anything that you need?” She wasn’t sure how much she could help him but it never hurt.
[html]

This post sucks, sorry. >< /+2

Ayasha snorted and implied there was nothing they could do about the new leader. That confused Ephraim, who had heard a lot of stories of uprisings and rank challenges, but he didn’t question the AniWayans if there was something else holding them back. After all, Maska ruled the Guardians—which granted him quite a bit of power as far as strength went. He didn’t blame the tribe members for having a healthy sense of preservation.

After all, wasn’t that what he was doing? Sitting, biding his time, ducking his head in obedience?

All the eunuch did was nod after she explained, his brown eyes widening slightly at her growl. He hadn’t seen being roughed up a bit as a big deal, but apparently it’d struck a nerve with her—and he did know that the other prisoners had suffered much worse treatment. The Guardians had simply written him off as an idiot, someone useful to have for labor, someone who wasn’t much of a threat.

“In the big old cabin, you mean?” Ephraim asked, tilting his head to the side. “Hmmm. There’s a few, yeah, smell strongly of a different pack than this one. Quiet folks, sullen. Didn’t get much out of ’em when we spoke.”

He shrugged then smirked as she asked if he needed anything. “Personally, give me some food and I’m content. I’ll ask the other prisoners if they could use some supplies, though. Haven’t been here long, so I’m not feeling the discomfort as much, but I dunno about them. Maybe we can work something out, in case I see you again while I’m working on this.” He gestured to the half-hollowed piece of wood and smiled at Ayasha.

“You’re a good girl. A strong girl. Your parents should be proud of you.”

Ayasha wondered if he wondered about why they didn’t get rid of Maska. She figured she might as well explain why they couldn’t get rid of him. ”It’s not like we don’t want to get rid of him. It’s just…Mostly the guardians. They seem to reproduce like rabbits. One leaves and two more show up in his place.” So she was exaggerating but it got her point across.

Ephraim seemed to not be bothered by being roughed up but she was rather upset with it. She however didn’t continue with that line of inquiry. She did perked up at the mention of the big old cabin. That’s where they were. ”How many are there?” She was eager to know so she could let others know.

Food. That was doable. And he would ask to see what others needed. ”I’ll try to help however I can.” She didn’t mention why she might not be able to. She felt that unnecessary. She placed her hand on his shoulder. ”Don’t let them work you too hard.” She blushed a little at his compliments. ”Thank you.”