thoughts of reason
[html]
Set on the shores across from Watcher's Wrest / wc:267

The sandy shores along the eastern portion of Anathema’s borders were quickly becoming one of his favorite places. Often he would find himself drifting out to the sea-embracing stretch of lands when he wasn’t busying himself with hunting or any of his duties. He liked the soft sands, the serene sounds of the crashing waves. It was the perfect place to unwind and let his mind drift and clear itself of the day’s troubles. Jackson let his feet carry him out to the shores this cloudy day, the familiar weight of his staff in his hand. As the familiar sound of the water reached his ears, he smiled and picked up his pace, eager to greet the sight of the ocean’s unbroken horizon.

This stretch of beach did not have the clear ocean horizon he was used to, however. Across from the shores on the mainland was a single island standing solemn in the cold waters. It seemed peaceful with its greenery, floating out there in solitude. The peaceful appearance was maintained up until one corner of the island where a tall man-made structure stood up defiantly. Jackson wondered what it was. If he could slip out to the island to investigate, he would. The island’s distance from the shore deterred him, however; it wasn’t so far out that swimming would be out of the question, but the cooling weather meant that the waters would be taking on an unpleasant temperature that he didn’t exactly wish to experience. He furrowed his brow, staring out at the island as if an alternate path across would suddenly present itself.

<style type="text/css">
.jackacid b {font-weight:bold; color:#747478; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #080824; }
.jackacid p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.jackacid {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#1c2941; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/2v7hs.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 300px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#3f4e62; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
.jackacid p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.jackacid p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC: oh this is gonna be fun :O WC: 276

Sira had been exploring the caves for so long now that she felt that she wanted a breath of fresh air, and to finally be free enough to be able to choose when she left the caves on her own was something magical. She would normally go to Cain and see if he would go with her, but for some reason she wanted to exert her freedom on her own. So she left the caves without a word, and started moving east where she was fascinated by a sound she never heard before. How could she explain the sound of something so.... different? The fact was she couldn't and as she came over the hill she could see what it was.... water as far as the eye could see was washing ashore, pushing towards the land, then pulling back taking the sands with it. Sira looked wide eyed in wonder. She moved closer, but only up to about five feet from where the water was pulling the sand back into its depths. Her tail was between her legs and she was mesmerized. Never in her life had she seen this much water, let alone seen a tide before. How could this be possible, what was making the water move. She was far too deep in thought to notice that she wasn't alone. Her large ears perked to get in the sounds of the waves moving forward to crash against the sand, and her eyes wide to make sure she wasn't seeing things. She wanted to move forward but she was afraid it would take her and suck her into the waters and never let her go.

<style type="text/css">
.sikira-oo2 b {font-weight:bold; color:#995d5f; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #322022; }
.sikira-oo2 p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.sikira-oo2 {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#685356; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/KBpCJ.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 220px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#8f736e; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
.sikira-oo2 p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.sikira-oo2 p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Yeah! / wc:239

Jackson himself was so focused on his thoughts of how to get across the stretch of water that he didn’t notice the presence of a pack mate there on the beach at first either. With each second that passed, his curiosity about the island grew, but so did his dislike of the idea of swimming across to explore it. There had to be some other way, right? He glanced across at the beach around him in the vain search of anything useful and did a double-take when he finally realized that he wasn’t alone. What the hell? When did she get here? he thought, cerulean gaze eyeing her warily. It was another stranger, a petite little thing with sleek features he’d never seen on another canine before. The large ears made him think of a coyote at first, but that didn’t seem right. Another type of dog then, like himself?

As he stood there watching her, he began to realize that she was fixated quite intently on the ocean. Had she even seen him or did she just choose to ignore him? Well, there was definitely one way to find out. The boy grinned and made his way toward her as quietly as he could. He came to a halt a couple of yards away and let out a short bark, hoping to catch her by surprise. Oh yes, Jax was the master of etiquette upon first meeting someone.

[/html]
[html]
OOC: Sad sorry for poopy post will be better next round <3 WC: 220

The girl was full of questions in her head, trying to put the pieces together and reason out what was going on, and why it happened, that she was far too absorbed to see the man, or see his movements toward him. Only until he barked at her did she jump into reality and about two feet off the grown. The woman looked at the man with her hand over her heart, which was racing like crazy. Her mouth moved silently before she finally could get sound out of it.

“I- I'm sorry, I didn't see you, I didn't disturb you did I?”

She asked starting to back up, she felt she was always in the way now. There were so many wolves and dogs and wolf dogs, and others that she couldn't categorize, that she wasn't sure she did belong around here. As far as she knew she was the only Jackal for miles, but just the thought of having others around her that wasn't just her mother, was intimidating on its own, and she always seemed to manage to barge in on someone else who was doing one thing or another. She needed to stop paying attention to her own lack of knowing something or seeing something new and start paying attention to her surroundings.

<style type="text/css">
.sikira-oo2 b {font-weight:bold; color:#995d5f; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #322022; }
.sikira-oo2 {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#685356; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/KBpCJ.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 220px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#8f736e; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Pshhh, your post was just fine. <3 / wc:230

And there it was, just the reaction he had been hoping for. It seemed that she hadn’t noticed him at all until now, leaping up with such a start at the sound of his voice. As she turned to look at him, hand over her chest from the shock, he let loose a bout of laughter. Blue eyes closed for a moment as he laughed. That had been perfect! His laughter slowed down and his eyes opened back up when the girl finally managed to speak up. She was apologizing to him? Well wasn’t that just precious. The boy shook his head as he spoke. Haha, no, man, no. You’re good, he said, a pleased grin spreading on his maw. Ah, I’m sorry, just couldn’t resist getting a good scare in, ya know? You were just so zoned our there.

He glanced over at the ocean horizon that had so captivated her for just a moment before turning back to her. Jackson supposed he should try to use some of those manners he had, now that he’d had his fun. So, hey, I’m Jackson. Resident trickster and firestarter here in Anathema, he said. That damn grin was still on his maw—but man, had he gotten her good! Look at all the fun he’d been missing out on while being a lonely hermit in the forests the past few weeks.

[/html]
[html]

WC:240+ - OOC

This canine reminded Sira of Cain, who'd laughed when she asked him where his breasts were and a few other times when she showed her … stupidity about the world, but this was a bit different, and it seemed he probably did this to more than just her, but she couldn't know that for sure, but he seemed nice enough as he spoke.

“Oh uh yeah... I just... I have never seen this before. This much water. “

She looked out to the ocean again for a second and turned back to Jackson as he introduced himself. His introduction was strange in itself, trickster? That was a new word, but she didn't want to look dumb so she smiled at him.

“I am Sira Kira, I am new here... I... uh I don't know what I do.... whatdoes a trickster and firestarter do …. exactly?”

Oh she did it... she now looked a fool. She looked at her feet, embarrassed to see what the man's face was going to look like. She knew he'd probably start laughing at her. She wished that she knew more, that she wasn't so dumb. Her hand went to the necklace that she'd recently acquired. Rubbing it lightly, she was told by the collie woman it would protect her, and now she was really starting to believe it. She felt herself comforted while she waited for Jackson's answer.

Image courtesy of Immagina@Flickr; Table by the Mentors!

<style>
.K22911_Sia1 .ooc {font-size:10px; font-style:italic; background-image:url(http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2923/sirakira2.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:87px 0px 0px 0px;}
.K22911_Sia1 .dots {font-size:10px; font-style:italic; background-image:url(http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/9500/sirakira3.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:0px 0px 0px 0px;}
.K22911_Sia1 p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.K22911_Sia1 b {font-family:verdana; color:#a8bad2; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.K22911_Sia1 {background-color:#15286c; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; color:#5070a9; line-height:16px; width:475px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/9176/sirakira.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:10px 0px 278px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; border-radius:8px; } .K22911_Sia1-border {width:477px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:8px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>
[/html]
[html]
wc:248

The girl explained her reason for her earlier captivation with the great sheet of water before them, saying that she had never seen it before. Jackson had to admit that it made sense; when he’d first seen all this water as a pup, he probably had the exact same awed look on his face as she had. The ocean? He glanced back out over the stretch of water. Yeah, man, the ocean’s really awesome. I like to come out here just to think, sometimes, ya know? The sounds the waves make are just so calming. The grin he’d sported moments before developed into something more like a lazy smirk. It sounded weird saying it out loud, but hey, there was no denying the truth now was there?

The Acidic boy switched his staff from one hand to the other as the girl introduced herself. Another new addition to the family, huh? Well, if she’d lived inland before coming to Anathema, he supposed it made sense that she’d never witnessed the wonder of the sea before. Then she offered him a question, to which his brow furrowed in confusion. Was she serious? It seemed pretty straightforward to him. A trickster plays tricks, like I just did, he explained, reaching out to try to poke her shoulder playfully with is free hand. And firestarters take care of all of the fires back there in the caverns. You’ve wandered around in there, yeah? he asked, blue eyes regarding her downturned face.

[/html]
[html]

WC:346+ - OOC: Sorry for the delay

The man seemed to like the thing he called the ocean, of course he said so, so it would be true right? she looked out at the endless dark blue and couldn't help but feel nauseous at the sight. It was something that too much was not a good thing, and she'd had experience with some water to know it could easily turn to disaster, and to have that much water... well it was a scary thought, though she had to agree about the sound, it was starting to sound soothing even though it was all new to her, but as she heard it, she felt it soothing her own nerves. He explained his recent actions and apparent occupation to her and she gave him the “Oh” face, but said nothing as she soaked in what he said, so what he had done, scared her the way he did, had been a trick.

“Oh... you are the one who puts those fires in the caves”

She had seen the fires before, only the small ones, candles, and such, but the first time she had seen it she had been surprised and Cain had to keep her from touching it, though she had gotten quite close, and had felt the heat, and didn't like it. She had not seen anything much bigger than a candle though. She was still impressed because she couldn't imagine how to even start a fire much less keep one burning. So though he had scared her senseless, she found a little more respect for the man who seemed to be nice even though his initial meeting.

“I have seen a few parts of the caves, but I haven't seen all of them, no it's so big, I got lost once already.”

She admitted, wondering if it was just her, or had other gotten lost in the maze that was their home. She wanted to be a good contributor to the pack, but if she couldn't navigate through the caves how could she help out at all?

Image courtesy of mgjefferies@Flickr; table by the Mentors!

<style>
.Sira-K-02 .ooc {font-size:10px; font-style:italic;}
.Sira-K-02 p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.Sira-K-02 b {font-family:verdana; color:#666c62; text-shadow:#7e857b 0px 0px 1px; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.Sira-K-02 {background-color:#98a095; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/1271/sirekira.png); background-position:op center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:295px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; border-radius:8px; } .Sira-K-02-border {width:502px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:8px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>[/html]
[html]
No worries, luff! / wc:309

There was something about this girl, the way she spoke and the questions she asked, that he couldn’t quite put is finger on. It was kinda cute, almost… puppy-like, he supposed. It made him almost feel a little bad for scaring her earlier, and Jackson could never pass up the fun of some troublemaking. She seemed to know about the caves and the fires, much to his delight. Yeah, I sure am. Took a lot of practice, but I think it’s kinda fun. Especially when I get to make the real big fires in the common room and the kitchen. His tail began to wag at the thought.

She shared with him that she’d gotten lost once already within the huge maze that was the Howling Caverns. Getting lost in there was practically an initiation process for all new Anathemans. If anyone could go in there and not get lost on their first adventure, Jackson wanted to meet him. That would have been one hell of a feat. Hey, you’ll get used to those crazy caves of ours in no time, I swear. He gave her an encouraging smile. Let me tell you, I used to get all kinds of lost in there when I first came here as a pup. But ya kinda figure it out, the more you’re down there. And even I don’t think I’ve checked out all the caves down there. Just so much to explore, ya know? If anyone knew all of the cave’s winding pathways, it was probably his brother. Scorpius sure liked making those maps of his.

So hey, he began, tapping his staff idly in the sand, you’re a new member and everything. Where’d ya live before coming here? Not anywhere near the ocean, that much was clear. Jackson seemed to have a budding curiosity about unfamiliar places in the world.

[/html]
[html]
WC: 378 OOC: RAMMBLE

Her eyes widened as he mentioned larger fires. She had not explored the whole of the Anathema caves, so she had not seen its full extent. It seemed she had missed two of the caves, as she had never seen really big fires before. She was rightly impressed by the man now, and she smiled in wonderment what a fire looked like that was bigger than the torches that lined the halls.

“A big fire? How can you make big fires?Little ones look difficult enough already!”

She said, her foot sifting through the sand, getting used to the new txture, though it was odd, it felt soothing to have her toes half burried in the sand, it was as though she was anchored to the ground and the ocean couldn't take her. His words of getting lost reassured her in a way and she was glad she was not the only one who had lost her way. After all, what good was she if she wasn't like anyone else? She felt dumb for all the stuff she didn't know... like the ocean, and the fire. 'He must think I'm crazy' She thought.

“You weren't born here? Oh where I came from... um I lived in a cave with my mum. We lived there my whole life.”

She wished she had something more exciting to say, but the truth was the only exciting things that happened in her life was when she had met Cain and even then she found herself seeking his attention as wherever they went he would always make the day seem far more exciting.

“My life was boring I'm sure, it's nothing like it is here, we just ate and slept really, nothing more.”

She said looking out at the ocean not wanting to talk about her mother nor her life before she met Cain. She looked back at the man thinking, smiling a little.

“Maybe you could show me something else? Unless you're too busy. I understand if you are.”

>She said quietly, figuring he had been here for a reason and it just occurred to her that he may even have not wanted to be interrupted in what he was doing.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
wc:356

She seemed incredulous at the thought of even bigger fires, and her comments brought a proud grin to his features. Ah, yeah, man. It’s not really much harder than startin’ small ones, just takes more wood and some patience. Oh, yes, patience was something the hybrid boy had learned to develop when practicing this skill. Sometimes if the kindling was too damp or if the flint wasn’t handled properly, building up a good fire would take some time. Maybe I can show ya how to do it sometime, if ya want. I think it’s pretty fun.

Next the girl asked if he hadn’t been born here, and went on to described some of what her life had been like before arriving at the mountainous pack. Hey, sounds like a pretty relaxed life, yeah? Nothing wrong with that. Sounds kinda nice, really. Jackson would be pretty down with just hanging out all day, but being cooped up in a cave with his dad would have been a trial. They still shared a den together, sure, but he wouldn’t have been too keen on spending all day every day with him. .He was too independent for that. Yeah, I’m not from here either. Came from the north, this place called New Brunswick. Don’t remember much of it since I was too little. He shrugged. For all intents and purposes, Anathema had always been his home.

Jackson considered her next words with a smile and a light shake of his head. Nah, man, I ain’t busy at all. Just kinda starin’ at that island there like a dope. Don’t feel like swimmin’, ya know? He pointed out to the small stretch of land as he spoke of it. I guess I could show ya this cave up here where all these little crabs hang out. It’s kinda cool watchin’ ‘em scurry around, he said with laughter in his voice. He’d been there a few times to see those little guys run all over the place and it always brought a smile to his face. The cave was only a bit north of where they were, if he remembered right.

[/html]