comfortable inside these wounds
[html]

All welcome, but no one mean; I don't
want her beaten up any more than she is right now. xD

Vesper had come down from the grassy knolls to try her luck at the thin peninsulas named Beast’s Grin.

The lithe beast was not grinning, however. She limped down the hills toward the rocks and sand, frowning and doing her best to ignore the feel of the cordgrass tickling at her scabs. She was still a sore sight after meeting with the dusky coyote mutt, bite marks scattered throughout her tousled tawny pelt in addition to a slightly older gash on her hind leg. It was acting up for the first time in a while, causing her to wince as she walked.

She wanted to go on, however. She had not explored the southwestern part of Nova Scotia yet, and since journeying back through the great forest of Ethereal Eclipse, she was hungry. She knew that she could still catch a rabbit despite her injuries, but not if her leg wasn’t cooperating with her. Catching some crabs and other animals captured amongst the rocks for low tide would be simpler, and she hadn’t dined on seafood in a while.

The tawny coywolf sighed as she finally made it amongst the rocks and sand, sniffing for something to eat. Her lips tasted of salt when she licked them, and the wind burned against a wound that had reopened since her journey through the grassy hills, but she ignored the sensations in favor of finding a meal. She finally cornered a crab up against some rocks, managing to grab it by the pincer before it could burrow into the sand. She quickly struck it back down against the rock and broke into it, eating quickly while keeping her ears turned for danger.

A storm was soon coming, a rare display of dark clouds rolling in during the autumn. The grey mass was a harrowing sight as it brewed over the ocean, but she knew she would be safe if she ate quickly and returned to the forest to find shelter. Her exploration of the Western Tangles would have to come when it was safer to travel out in the open.

She lunged after a few other crustaceans, grabbing one out of three, and was sniffing at the carcass of a washed-up fish when she thought she heard something else moving amongst the rocks.

<style type="text/css">
.vesbluecrack b {font-weight:bold; color:#485066; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#f0f2f6 0px 0px 1px;}
.vesbluecrack p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.vesbluecrack .ooc {font-size:10px; font-style:italic;}
.vesbluecrack {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#afbcd1; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/2w3ddac.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #f0f2f6; padding: 370px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#544e50; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
OCC: WC-459
Kiara had finally made her first steps into Ichika, yet her desire to explore overwhelmed her young mind. Kiara left yesterday and had steadily made her way south in an effort to get a better understanding of Nova Scotia and the surrounding pack lands. The young wolf had spent the night in the woods, but once daybreak came she turned west to follow the scent of water and salt. Unfortunately, Kiara had come across a foreign pack land and was forced to take the long way towards the enticing smell. The last thing Kiara wanted was to trespass on another pack's land.

When Kiara had finally reached the source of the smell she could hardly believe her eyes. Water, as far as the eye can see, stretching out in a vast expanse and smelling distinctly of salt and fish. As Kiara neared the sea, the ground beneath her paws turned soft and stuck to her fur. Kiara approached the waves and was struck with glee as the the rolling water rushed towards her. The young wolf jumped in the air and landed with a splash, thoroughly soaking her to bone. Now drenched, Kiara decided to venture deeper into the water. Suddenly, a rip tide pulled the she-wolf into the ocean as she struggled to keep her head above water. Kiara tried frantically to swim back to shore, yet for all her efforts all she did was go farther and farther out to sea. So instead, the young wolf decided to turn and head parallel to the shore line. Perhaps what ever had hold of her would not be able to keep her if she swam away.

Success. As Kiara swam southwest the grip the tide had on her slacked and she was able to return to shore. Soaked and tired the young wolf padded through the sand to find a place to rest. In her excitement, she had neglected to notice the oncoming storm. Now, her sensitive nose was alerting her to the rise in humidity. She needed to find shelter and soon. The only problem being, Kiara's curiosity. The snow wolf's ears pricked as she heard the distinct sound of eating. Someone was close by, and had food.

Kiara came around from behind the rocks and saw a small tawny coyote munching on a crab. The coywolf had some obvious wounds; some open and bleeding, while others older and healed. Once Kiara saw the stranger she held back. Her head was high and her ears were perked for any signs of danger. However, she kept her tail down and decided to address the coyote in a calm and friendly manner.

"Hello, my name is Kiara Amarok. I see you are hurt. Do you require any assistance? "
[html]

Heyy. Big Grin Sorry for the short and crappy
post; I wasn't sure what to write. >>

The tawny coywolf remained tense, poised to fight or flee in case a bad-intentioned animal came across the section of beach. The last thing she needed was another confrontation in her state. She sighed and nibbled at the fish again, her full ear swiveling to catch the sounds of footfalls among the rocks. They had started out distant, but as they grew closer, she lifted her head expectantly. Finally, a pale shape came from around the rocks: a young arctic wolf, one of the few non-luperci Ves had seen aroudn Nova Scotia.

The voice that drifted across to her was friendly, but not bubbly like some girls the hybrid met. When her injuries were pointed out, Vesper fought back her defensiveness and listened to the rest of the young woman’s words.

“I’ll be okay,” the coyote hybrid said, her voice not friendly but not too impolite; at least Kiara was asking calmly instead of dancing around fretting like Ophelia had been. She smirked slightly at the memory and stepped a little closer. “My name’s Vesper.”

The distant peal of thunder drew her attention back to the brewing storm clouds, and she frowned before glancing back at the arctic wolf. She found it needless to point out the threat of the approaching downpour, but she didn’t know what to do about it. The forest was a lot further away than she imagined.

Letting the awkward silence stretch, Vesper turned back to the ocean, her blue eyes picking out an island she hadn’t seen before. Winds had dispersed the mist that hung around the isle, and she wondered how far away it would be, if it would be worth it to swim. Still, she could see the outlines of trees and jutting rocks. It would be a nice play to loll while protected by the storm, but she didn’t know if she could swim the distance.

Her expression was decidedly wicked as she glanced at the white wolf, using her tail to gesture toward the island. “I know we just met, but do you fancy a little exploration?”

<style type="text/css">
.vesbluecrack b {font-weight:bold; color:#485066; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#f0f2f6 0px 0px 1px;}
.vesbluecrack {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#afbcd1; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/2w3ddac.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #f0f2f6; padding: 370px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#544e50; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

NP, your bad posts are still better than my good ones

Word Count → 333

Despite the coywolf's claims, Kiara was still unsure of her physical state. Vesper seemed to have been severely injured not days before their encounter. Something happened to Vesper and Kiara wouldn't be surprised to be turned away. However, it seems as if this was not the coywolf's intention. Although Vesper did not seem too friendly, there was no hint of confrontation in her voice and actions. As the young women stepped closer, Kiara lowered herself and wagged her tail in a friendly and playful manner. To be around another regular canine, after being surrounded by the luperci, was a welcome change. Kiara hoped she could break past the defensive behavior of the young women.

Just as the arctic wolf was preparing herself to take a friendly leap towards Vesper, a bolt of lightning light up the sky and was closely followed by an equally impressive peal of thunder. Kiara froze with her haunches high in the air and her ears flicked forward in surprise. The snow wolf stood up slowly and set her sapphire gaze towards the sky. It would rain soon and the two of them must find cover. It seemed as if Vesper had a similar idea, with just a little more danger involved

Kiara looked towards where the tawny coywolf gestured and noticed an island a little ways out. The island was covered in rocks and bands of gnarled trees. If the pair could reach the island it might be a good place to ride out the oncoming storm. Kiara glanced at her injured companion. The she-wolf didn't doubt that she could reach the island, though Kiara still had reservations about returning to the sea. However, could the injured Vesper make the swim? One look at Vesper's grin said it all and the arctic wolf returned Vesper's wicked smile. What young wolf could resist an adventure like this? With a glint of mischief in her sapphire eyes Kiara proudly stated, Adventure's my middle name. Just lead the way my friend.

<style type="text/css">
.kiaratree b {font-weight:bold; color:#dbe3ff; text-shadow:#0a273b 0px 0px 1px;}
.kiaratree p {padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.kiaratree {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#2a4c56; background-image:url(http://i54.tinypic.com/20js9j6.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #420503; padding: 470px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#60848f; line-height:16px; text-align:justify;}
.kiaratree .wordcount {color:#60848f; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dashed #dbe3ff; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
.kiaratree .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Sorry for the wait!

At her suggestion, the white wolf mirrored Vesper’s devious smile. Stating that adventure was her middle name, she encouraged the hybrid to lead the way, and with a smirk and flourish of her tail, Vesper did just that. She padded back toward the lapping waves, the almost mesmerizing rush of water that would shatter into violence once the storm rolled in. She did not want to be caught near the beach when that happened, and so all she could do was trot along the shore, eyes straining to find the closest little bump toward the isle.

“You smell slightly of a pack,” Vesper remarked as she walked, assuming that Kiara would be following. “I think I’ve smelled it before. I-chee-something?” Her memory was fuzzy, and the little information she’d gained from the pack member she’d met had not been enough to cement the name in her mind. The pack names she knew were, for the most part at least, the dangerous ones—either because of sinister reputations or because they were locked in war. It was probably a good thing that she didn’t remember Kiara’s pack’s name.

The small talk ended as she was finally confident—or as confident as she could be, with her injuries—that she could probably make the swim. Standing on a flattened rock, the spray of the waves wetting her scarred legs, the coywolf looked out to the island. It would be easy to swim, if she were in prime condition—and perhaps a bit bigger. She wasn’t sure that a creature of her size would do well to swim, but part of her wanted to prove that she could do something so dangerous. Her pride had been even more injured than her body during the fight with Helotes; to think that some brute could do what he’d done, and terrify her—

Vesper growled suddenly, lips wrinkled back in a snarl of aggravation and pain, and leaped into the waves.

Immediately, the water rejected her—pushing her back toward the rock from whence she’d jumped. She thrashed her forelimbs, hissing as the saltwater burned her open wounds. So this hadn’t been the smartest of her ideas, but for one day of her life she could take risks. Ears flattened and eyes narrowed determinedly, she flailed more, pushing at a rock under her paws so that she was propelled closer to the island.

It soon became clear that she’d need help: another swimmer beside her, perhaps a nudge. She was doggie-paddling toward the sheltered island, making some progress, but the waves kept bursting around her face and weren’t doing much to aid her.

“Kiara,” Vesper managed to yap. It wasn’t desperate, but it was somewhat urgent—an invitation for the arctic wolf to join her already. Was she halfway there? A third of the way there? She kept paddling.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

(Que. stupid theme music) Here she comes to save the DAY!!!!

Word Count → 000

Kiara followed the coywolf along the shore as they searched for an appropriate place to begin this series of unfortunate events. With the injured Vesper to watch out for and the crashing waves before them Kiara was not looking forward to how this would play out. The arctic wolf lifted her head and said a silent prayer to the moon, asking for help or even a little luck. The arctic wolf returned her attention to Vesper in order to respond to her question. Ah, yes. I recently joined Ichika no Ho-en. Its a peaceful pack and the mountains that it resides in are beautiful.

The young wolf watched apprehensively as Vesper plunged into the water only to be pushed back towards the rock she had just left. Kiara let out a worried whine, wondering if the coywolf was okay. Again Vesper tried to enter the water and although she made a little progress, it was not much. Kiara approached the water and anxiously looked towards the fierce waves. The rip tide incident still fresh in her mind, the young wolf hesitated. If they were too make it, Kiara had to approach this problem in an intelligent manner. The she wolf waited until the most recent wave had run along the shore almost as far as it could go. She raced into the shallows, taking advantage of the momentary calm to catch up to the coywolf. When another wave began to crest, the arctic wolf dived down to avoid a crashing wave. When Kiara surfaced again she was almost upon Vesper.

The pair were about a third of the way to the island. Kiara spent most of her life around water and was a strong swimmer; but she slowed her pace to match the injured Vesper and hung back to watch to coywolf's progress. Though the pair had made it passed the crashing waves, the ocean did not provide easy passage. The water would bend and buckle under the arctic wolf's body as she doggie paddled towards the island.

At Vesper's cry for help, Kiara quickened her pace and came up right behind her new friend. Using her head, the young wolf began to push Vesper from the back to speed her progress. Hopefully this would provide more help than harm. If not, Kiara would have to dive under the injured coywolf and carry her to the island.

<style type="text/css">
.kiaratree b {font-weight:bold; color:#dbe3ff; text-shadow:#0a273b 0px 0px 1px;}
.kiaratree {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#2a4c56; background-image:url(http://i54.tinypic.com/20js9j6.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #420503; padding: 470px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#60848f; line-height:16px; text-align:justify;}
.kiaratree .wordcount {color:#60848f; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dashed #dbe3ff; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Part of the way through writing this, I
realized that I had always intended for Vesper to be terrified of drowning. >> Luckily it hasn't really been established in roleplay so I'm good to change it. x3

This idea was more stupid than she’d thought, and she had thought it pretty stupid to begin with.

Vesper continued to paddle, the waves surging against her neck or breaking over her head. Her tail waggled back and forth behind her, but it was waterlogged and contributed no forward movement. She was determined, however, and she attacked the water like a foe, lips curled back in anger and defiance as she did her best to swim.

Thoughts lingered in the back of her mind, such as whether or not Kiara would actually join her. She wouldn’t put it above some wolves to change their minds about the water and abandon her—but a splash proved her wrong. The arctic wolf was either a strong swimmer, or Ves was doing worse than she’d thought; a slick white shape emerged from the water close to her.

From that point onward, the waves were no longer the great, foaming obstacles they had been closer to the shore. However, the water had turned almost tumultuous this far out anyway, perhaps a prediction of the storm to come. It undulated, causing the canines to bob up and down, and Vesper was getting sick of it.

There came a shove, and Vesper could feel her hindquarters dip into the water. A quick thrash of her hind legs corrected the angle, and Kiara’s pushing made progress faster. As they neared the shoreline of the isle, Vesper scanned for sharp rocks or other hazards, not wanting to get her body stuck in a crack or something ridiculous.

The sight of her destination brought a flood of relief to the hybrid, and she struck out on her own, managing to swim faster than Kiara was pushing her. She was sure that the arctic wolf could pass her easily if she wished, but for now she floundered toward the shore. Finally, her chest leaned up against a rock, and she struggled to pull her body up onto firm ground. She staggered a few steps and shook the water from her coat, ears drooping and muscles quivering.

“Never let me do that again,” Vesper snapped to the arctic wolf. “Except we’ll have to go back.” Her frown turned into a cynical smirk, and she shook more water from her tail. “Yeah, I think I’m going to live as a hermit on this island for now on. You can bring me food and news from the mainland.”

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 374

Thankfully, Kiara's pushing seemed to have helped the tawny coywolf, and all it took was a slight adjustment on Vesper's part. Now that Vesper was going faster the pair made noticeable progress towards the island. Even as they approached the island, the storm hung over their heads threatening to begin its onslaught any minute. Kiara just hoped the storm would hold off long enough for the two girls to reach safety.

With a newfound energy, Vesper pulled away from Kiara and managed to make the final stretch towards the island by herself. The arctic wolf let out an encouraging bark only to swallow a mouthful of seawater. Kiara spurted a little as she fought to keep her head above water. The salty water burned Kiara's throat and she made a mental note never to drink from the sea again. Although Vesper was swimming on her own again, the arctic wolf still swam closely behind her to make sure that she got to shore safely. Even the snow wolf was beginning to feel the strain that all this swimming put on her body. Kiara had been around water all her life, but her fight with the waves and the rip tide was wearing the she wolf's body out.

Finally they reached the shore and Kiara hoisted her tired form out of the water and onto the rocks. Once on solid ground Kiara vigorously shook herself to rid her snowy coat of water. When she was content that she had removed as much water as she could, Kiara looked around for her companion. The young wolf was startled to see Vesper's shaking form and ran over to make sure she was alright. As the coywolf spoke, Kiara's sensitive nose went to work to make sure the coywolf had no new injuries. I say we rest a day before we go back. You look like you could use the rest. Although, your hermit idea seems very appealing. Kiara laughed a little and asked in joking mannerSo, oh wise hermit, what shall we do now? A long bolt of lightning danced across the sky followed quickly by thunder. A drop of rain feel on the snow wolf nose causing her to sneeze. The storm was almost upon them.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

The coywolf looked back to the water, waiting for her companion; the last thing she wanted was for the girl to drown. It would make her feel like shit, and it would make leaving this island impossible. Her full ear flicked as the wolf pulled herself onto the shore, and she resisted the urge to back away when Kiara’s nose explored her for wounds. The ones that had opened up previously burned from the saltwater, but she found herself able to tune the pain out as usual. She flashed a quick smirk to let the girl know that she was okay before sitting down, a sigh heaved from her chest at the relief. Her seated position quickly slipped down into a laying one.

“Yeah, staying here a day sounds good,” Vesper murmured in agreement, letting her eyes close for just a few seconds. She wasn’t sure how awkward it would get wandering around the island with a stranger, but Kiara had been helpful so far, and Ves liked the arctic wolf as much as she could like any random acquaintance. Besides, if they happened to argue, there were two sides to the island—she’d just have to find her own way back to shore.

“One of the few things I envy luperci—boats.” She grinned, her eyes fluttering open again to show that she was quite awake, at least mentally. Her muscles ached, but she could manage a conversation with the girl for as long as she wanted. “Would be useful right about now. Oh well.”

She chuckled as Kiara addressed her as a “wise hermit,” lifting her chin slightly and swishing her tail beside her. Brows raised quizzically, she glanced up at the snarling, flashing storm clouds. “Our best bet would be to find some shelter in the trees. Then we can sit and ponder the mysteries of the universe or something.” She squinted when a raindrop fell in her eye then cocked her head at Kiara, reluctantly rising to all fours. “Let’s go.”

Her pace started off brisk, as she wanted to get into the trees and get it over with, but she began to slow. The leg injured in September ached more than the rest of her muscles, but she walked carefully as to conceal her limp—perhaps too carefully. “So, um… Tell me about Ichika no Ho-en.” One ear swiveled back to her new buddy. “What makes it different from the other packs?” She did not mean for the question to be rude, but she wanted to be able to distinguish the different threats from each other. Salsola, for instance, kept slaves; Cour des Miracles was full of hybrids and dogs. Each had their quirks, and as a loner she needed to learn as much as she could about them.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 544

Now that the pair had made it to the island, finding shelter would be their first priority. However, Kiara was not sure that moving Vesper would be a good idea. The coywolf seemed weak and was badly injured. Some of her wounds had reopened, and although Vesper didn't show it, she had to be hurting. The arctic wolf was thankful that Vesper had allowed her to get in close enough to examine her wounds. For Kiara, such a thing was reflex and she only just now realized how rude she had been. Vesper flashed the young wolf a smile, but Kiara still had
doubts about her condition. The she wolf's suspicions were confirmed when Vesper went to lay down.

Kiara was reluctant to let Veseper move, but they were strangers and it was not Kiara's place to tell the coywolf what to do. As Vesper struggled to stand Kiara looked towards the line of trees and then up to darkening sky. Could they make it? Vesper's pace was slow and deliberate. Though she tried to hide her injuries, it was obvious to Kiara that the girl was not doing so well. Once again, the snow wolf matched Vesper's pace and walked next to the injured girl. Although she gave Vesper room to maneuver, Kiara did not want to travel to far from the coywolf. If Vesper's strength gave out, Kiara wanted to be able to assist her as fast as possible.

The question Vesper had posed puzzled Kiara. The arctic wolf had not been in Nova Scotia long and had joined the first pack she came across. The young wolf was unfamiliar with the standings of the other packs and knew nothing of their policies. Kiara's head tilted away (more out of habit than anything else) as she pondered the question and her response. Kiara faced forward again, but kept an ear trained on Vesper. Well...Ichika is a peaceful pack, though I'm the only normal wolf that I know of. Although, there are many different types of canines within the pack itself. Um... it's a big pack! The she wolf gave Vesper a sheepish smile. She wasn't sure what Vesper had meant by "different." Oh, there is this really weird coyote. He smells funny, kinda like smoke. He talks weird too. He called my sunflower, and said man all the time. Kiara began to mimic the hippies way of speaking with exaggerated tones. What's up maaaan! How you doing maaan. Peace and love, maaaaan. The young wolf laughed a little and returned to her normal speech. But otherwise, they are really friendly. The pack took me in, just like that.

As the pair walked towards the trees, Kiara described to Vesper her first encounter with the Ichika no Ho-en pack. She explained that she had arrived to Nova Scotia only recently and that the pack had been kind enough to take her in. The young wolf talked about how Eclipse had kept her company till the leader had arrived, and how the pack had made her feel welcome and treated her like family. Kiara also explained that she wasn't a fully established member yet and still needed to do her initiation task. But once that was done, she would become part of the pack.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

I would have replied to this sooner, but I've
been having a really crappy week.

“I probably would have been drier out in the rain,” Vesper muttered, half humorously to her companion and half contemptuously to herself. It wasn’t often that common sense fled her like that, but she supposed jumping into the ocean was better than picking fights, which she’d wanted to do since the attack. That damn brute had screwed her up more than he’d known, though the old nonchalant Vesper was breaking back through. Her senses were simply a bit shaken up.

And now her body was. Exhausted and sore as she was, she pressed on. It had always been helpful to her to grin and bear it, as forcing herself to get used to the pain made the pain seem less intense. Even now, she abandoned her careful gait for a quick hobble that would hopefully take them more quickly to shelter. She (and her pride) definitely didn’t want Kiara to have to slow down for her.

She nodded slightly as the arctic wolf described her pack—a peaceful one, made up of luperci just like most others. It didn’t sound remarkable, unless the peace aspect was more exaggerated than Ves thought. Her blue eyes widened slightly as Kiara described the strange coyote, and she laughed at the impression. “I would either be very irritated by him or really get along with him,” Vesper teased, though she couldn’t keep the amused smirk off her face now. She listened politely as Kiara told her story about the pack.

“A lot of packs seem like that,” she went on, thinking of Blind and Crimson Dreams. “They’ll take in others without question… It seems crazy, but I guess the wolves around here are nicer than I give them credit for, hm?” Her smirk softened. “Like you, I suppose. You’re putting up with me—or maybe you’re as insane as I am.” She flicked her tail teasingly, swatting the other’s nose as she trotted forward. They’d finally reached the trees, and she sniffed around for a hollow to settle down in.

There was a nice, sheltered area that was well-protected without making her claustrophobic; though she liked to hide in small spaces for protection, sharing that space with another canine would make her too antsy. She settled down on her belly, sighing in relief, then patted the ground in front of her to gesture Kiara to lie down. “Have you explored much of the rest of Nova Scotia?”

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Bed time!!!!

Word Count → 315

By the way Vesper talked, it was almost as if she was against packs and pack life. Wolves were social animals by nature and to the arctic wolf, not wanting to be part of a pack was unthinkable. However, Vesper did have a point. Most packs would not just let strangers saunter onto their lands and were less likely to actually accept strangers into the pack. But then again, Ichika no Ho-en was not a usual pack. The members of the Ichika no Ho-en pack consisted not only of wolves, but coyotes and dogs, and most of them were luperci. The luperci's ways were still very foreign to Kiara and many of the things they did or said were confusing. Kiara chuckled at Vesper's remarks. "Insane is your best bet. I can't say much about the other packs, but the wolves in Ichika are very nice."

The coywolf was obviously in pain and Kiara gave her credit for bearing with the fatigue and pain. Vesper's tail was soft against her nose, but it made Kiara sneeze. The coywolf had increased her pace from the careful walk to a faster hobble. Kiara gave a little laugh and quickened her pace. The gnarled branches would provided the two wolves with sufficient cover to ride out the storm. The snow wolf gratefully accepted Vesper's invitation and took shelter with the brown female. The rain was coming down now and the clash of thunder could be heard overhead. Kiara settled herself down next to Vesper and curled up to keep warm.

"Truth be told, I haven't really explored a lot of Nova Scotia. I wandered in and around the Ichika pack lands, but I wasn't very thorough. Then, I just picked a direction and started walking. I tried to avoid the other packs to avoid any diplomacy issues. What about you? You don't seem to be in a pack."

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Vesper smirked slightly, nodding as they walked. “Well, insane and nice can go hand in hand sometimes.” She wasn’t against charity—though she liked to be selfish most of the time—but never would she offer her home to someone she didn’t trust yet. Then again, how else were the packs around here supposed to work? Back home, any groups of wolves she’d run across had been the traditional, family packs. She’d lived in an undeveloped and “uncivilized” part of the wilderness where few wolves stood on two legs and everyone looked out for themselves. Was this “niceness,” the same as the luperci virus, a state of civilization?

It hurt her head a little to think about it. “I think peace is the way to go, so long as you can defend yourself when someone disagrees with that.” She realized how cynical she sounded and quickly lowered her head, frowning. “I don’t mean any disrespect, Kiara. Then again, I’m just a scarred, rambling old hermit, right?” she asked jokingly. A few weeks away from reaching two years, many (at least those who didn’t know her mind) would call her a girl, but she still felt wiser than most of the wolves she passed.

It was nice to finally be speaking in the trees. The patter of rain fell mostly on the leaves overhead, leaves Ves knew would soon blow away as the autumn aged. For now, however, the cover was very welcome. She rolled onto her side, stretching her limbs out briefly before the arctic wolf settled down next to her. Cautious of invading personal space, Vesper left distance between them but swished her tail to the side so it barely touched Kiara’s. She was grateful to her for helping her out—a scarred stranger with an insane idea.

“No, I’m not in a pack,” the coyote hybrid said. “It’s not that I’m totally opposed against being in one, it’s just…” She shrugged. “I don’t settle down as quickly as others might. I want to make sure it’s the right choice before I join.” She smirked and rested her chin on her legs. “It’d be nice to be part of a community like that, but… I’m fine being alone, too. Always have been.”

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 260

As kind as Vesper was, she had a cynical view of the world and it was made apparent in her speech. Although the coywolf tried to be friendly her cynicism was still apparent. Unlike most though, Kiara was not offset by her attitude and laughed at her jokes. There was a reason for her views, and Kiara could understand some of them. The arctic wolf had grown up in a traditional family pack without a single luperci within 50 miles of her home range.

Kiara sat and listened to Vesper, nodding her head at the appropriate times. The fact that Vesper wasn't in a pack didn't really surprise Kiara. Vesper didn't give off the scent of a pack, nor did she seem to want to be in one. "Well Ms. Grumpy Hermit, if you ever want some company come to Ichika and play. If you want to join, I'm sure that you would be welcomed." The snow wolf turned her head to the sky and listened quietly to the storm. The patter of rain acted as a lullaby and drowned out all other sounds. Her sapphire eyes, heavy with sleep, closed gradually as the young wolf began to drift asleep. Kiara's head drooped so she tucked her nose under her fluffy tail. That night, Kiara dreamt of her two homes as the ocean waves parted one family from the other. It wasn't a good dream, but it wasn't a nightmare either. Kiara was safe, and in the morning the pair would head back to shore and go their separate ways.

End

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]