Friend of a Feather
Quote:Post dated: eight days after contracting the Luperci Virus (July 1st I think.)
Time: Morning through night
Place: Outside Halifax
Mood: sarcastic, panic, adept and accept

[html]

OOC: How she met Falcrin the red-tailed hawk she had been shadowing. / WC: 1645

“Papa!” A little wolf pup howled at the top of her lungs. The Luperci male, who had been grinding herbs in a bowl, turned slowly to glance toward the small fluff ball of a pup curled upon the male’s bed. Grey orbs met his and the little pup’s tail wagged joyfully to the attention of its father.

The male wolf sighed, “What is it little one?” He had asked as he stood on two legs, two legs, unlike her and her four legs. Little wolf gawked at her father as he approached her.

“Papa!” She began, “Will I walk like you when I’m old?”

Papa smiled, “No little one. Not unless you are changed.”

The puppy tilted her head, “changed papa?” She asked.

The Luperci male sighed, smiled, and then sat beside the small little cub. The child lifted its head and placed it gently upon the male’s lap. The Luperci began, “I am a Luperci dear, you are feral.”

“Feral?”

“Four legged,” he explained. “One who can not shift…one who is clean of the virus.”

“Virus?” the cub wondered. “Papa! Are you sick!”

Papa laughed and gently reached his muzzle down to caress a kiss atop her head, “No dear I am not sick, only different.”

~~~

‘Papaaa!’ Her mind screamed as she gasped for air. Her body rolled upon the ground, paws stretched out, digits grew out, grew longer. Every bone in her body stretched, popped, and grew. She screamed again, and howled to the dawning sky. The pain ceased for only a moment, which gave the wolf some time to breath. The creature struggled to get her eyes open that had been clutched shut through the pain of her body’s change.

Her eyes forced open, and gazed across from her at the grass that brushed against her nose. She sighed softly, closed her eyes and then reopened them. She bathed in the moment of painless bliss, and began to slowly fall into comfort. As her mind began to think the pain was no longer going to attack her, she soon allowed herself to slip into a slumber, but before her eyes could close in peace the pain started again.

She screamed as her body stretched out before her, as her structure lengthened. She howled, cried, and clutched the grass beneath her. Long fingers extended from her pads, as her feet kicked out and her tail slid beneath her long slender legs. She cried out in one last scream of pain before she slipped into a pain-induced slumber. She slept, slept and regained her strength.

As she slumbered amongst the soft grass of the earth, a creature, feathered from head to toe came and landed upon the branches hiding her from the sky. The winged creature glanced down upon the strange beast with golden eyes, and tilted its head to the side. It spread its wings and then squawked at the morning sun, shouted its good morning before it turned to tend to its wing feathers.

~~~

Light brown hair out stretched around her canine features. Her mane had grown and lengthened, its wavy tentacles rested stretched our from behind her. The strange wolf slowly pulled her eyelids open and gazed out at the growing grass before her eyes. She saw at this moment, fingers stretched and curled before her. She wanted to gasp, but could not find the breath to do so.

She softly pulled the strange digits toward her, the tips of the fingers brushed gently against her muzzle. She moaned and slowly flipped from her side to come to rest on her back, her gaze lifted up to the tree branches. She huffed and closed her eyes tightly only to reopen them to the sound of wings that rustled above her.

Her gaze opened to shock as she stared up and met the intimidating and mocking glance of a red-tailed hawk perched above her in the branches. “You!” She howled as she struggled to lift herself up. She found herself, however, on her stomach her new appendages slowly began to slide beneath her body. She struggled to lift herself up, and managed to find herself upright and rested upon knees. She glanced down at her hands, her legs, and all her strangeness. She then flicked her gaze quickly up to the hawk.

“I-I’m a Luperci…” She told the winged creature who cocked its head at her. She blinked toward the bird and then lowered her gaze. She lifted her hands to her face and cupped her gaze within her palms. Her body knelt within itself and she began to shake. “Why?” She asked, “why.” She shook her head roughly, the images of the event that led her to this moment flashed before her mind’s eye. “That bastard!” She shouted her teeth clutched together in a snap. “If I ever meet him again, I’ll-I’ll…” She fell silent as her hand reached out for the tree beside her.

Her nails dug into the bark of the tree as she forced herself to stand. She huffed, and moaned as she pulled herself up from the ground. Her body still ached, but that did not keep her from attempted strength. The she wolf sighed as she looked upon the world within a new perspective. In this new shape things now seemed smaller. She glanced down at herself and found that she stood on two legs and towered above small little flowers. This was different from what she was use to.

She blinked, pulled away from the tree, and then slowly took a step forward. She stumbled forward, only a little, her hands reached out to keep her from falling completely. She found balance and walked forward. The gaze of a hawk watched her as she explored her new body.

“This…” She began, “Is very weird…” She lifted her paws up, and stared at fingers. “I have hands!” She shouted as she lowered her hands to her side and glanced up at the hawk in the tree. “You!” She growled as she pointed out the bird’s presence, “What do you want?” She asked harshly. The hawk squawked and challenged the she wolf. The wolf growled in response, and smirked.

“You know,” she began. “I may be new to this, and by all that surrounds me. The forest, the trees, the sky.” She narrowed her glance at the bird, “If I ever find that brute, I will kill him.” She referred to the male who gave her the virus and turned her Luperci, the images of that event ran within her mind and flared up anger and hatred. “How dare he!” She growled as she scratched out at a nearest tree.

She stumbled forward and placed both palms against the recent scared bark of a tree, and slowly tilted her head against it. She sighed, “Why did this happen to me?” She asked herself. “Father…” She began to plead, “Father, what am I going to do?” She closed her eyes tight.

The hawk watched from above and ruffled its feathers. The bird puffed out its chest, and then squawked to gain the attention of the two legged wolf. Deirdre lifted her gaze to meet the hazel hue of the winged creature above her head, she turned to face the predator bird and spoke. “Why haven’t you left yet?” She asked, “Why don’t you go swoop somewhere and leave me alone? I don’t want to chase you anymore, I-”

The bird cocked its head, and Deirdre growled in frustration. “Why am I even talking to you?” She shouted, “You can’t even understand me!” The hawk squawked in reply, “What?” She questioned, “Are you saying you can?” She asked. The hawk bobbed its head up and down, “Wha-what do you want?” She asked the creature. The hawk just stared at her, and Deirdre narrowed her gaze. “Well, aren’t you helpful.” She snapped.

The bird squawked and then swooped from the tree branch he had rested upon. He came to land on the ground before her; his gaze lingered up to meet her gray ones. The she wolf looked down and slowly slid against the bark of the tree till she came to sit upon the earth itself, her gaze studied the winged one before her. The hawk lifted up its right leg and showed off the small metallic bracelet that snuggled its appendage.

Deirdre blinked, “is that-is that a collar?” She asked. The hawk responded with a head bob. She glanced at it, “You were caged?” The hawk squawked, “No?” Then a memory of a wolf that tamed birds came to her mind, “you had an owner?” She exclaimed the hawk swayed on its feet. “I’m guessing that means sort of?” The hawk nodded, and Deirdre laughed. “So what?” She began, “do you want me to help find your master?”

The hawk squawked and puffed out its feathers, “No?” She questioned, “then what.” The hawk began to dance about, and Deirdre just watched and mused. “Are you telling me, that you want to be with me?” The hawk froze from its dance and glanced at her, its eyes intelligent. Deirdre smiled fondly, “I’d have dreamed of this, you know.” She began, “but don’t you have a master?”

The hawk swayed sadly, “Oh…” she knew that look within the bird’s eyes, knew that the hawk had lost as well. The wolf sighed, “I don’t want to be your master.” She began, “but…I will be your friend and companion.” The hawk bobbed its head and took to the sky. Deirdre smirked and pulled herself up from the ground, “Well that’s a good start for this shitty day.” She began as she pushed gently from the tree. She sighed, and walked forward, her feet taking her away from the outskirts of Halifax. As the two-legged wolf walked, there soared above her a winged creature. A hawk squawked, and a wolf smiled.

<style type="text/css">
.deirdre-gift b {font-weight:bold; color:#891f2b; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#801c22 1px 1px 3px; font-family:georgia, sand-serif;}
.deirdre-gift .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; color:#b27700; font-family: georgia, sans-serif;}
.deirdre-gift p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.deirdre-gift {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#C0C0C0; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/7bovG.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #ffffff; padding: 230px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: verdana, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#4c174c; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
Table by Sorin. Original codes by Tears, Bones, and Desire. Photo credits: flickr
[/html]