losing my religion
[html]

Over time, Shandom Qi'Vaex began to realize that his infatuation with the beautiful and mad Linquilea was growing to be unhealthy. It was an unpleasant tidbit of information he chose to keep tucked in the back of his mind, but, regardless, it was still there. Day in and day out, thoughts of his obsession began to bother the introspective alabaster male; he did not think that it was healthy, or normal. He kept his words of her to a minimum, having only mentioned his beloved to the strange and wonderful Caprica of Anathema he met in the woods. Even still, the only reason he'd mentioned Lea was because of the striking resemblance between the two. Recalling it gave him stabs of pleasure and pain; Shandom could not decide whether or not it had been worth it.

Still, Linquilea came to Shandom in his dreams. They were always the same: the two of them at the river, sitting in peaceful silence for what seemed like many hours. The day within the dream would wear on until the sun dipped below the jagged Etient mountains, and the male felt true, calming serenity. No words needed to be exchanged, no deep sharing of feelings: it was simply him and his beloved, sharing the end of a wonderful day.
But then she would turn to him, and he would notice that her eyes were deep, ruby red and filled with madness. Her face, once so elegant and proud, was scarred with anger and betrayal that ran thick in her blood. Lips lifted into a snarl, the female would lunge at him before falling through; she could not touch him. Terrified and confused, Linquilea would back away, eyes wide and deep voice echoing You did this to me, Shandom. This is your fault.

Night after night he awoke from this dream, shaking and panting as he could not remember. Somehow he found himself blaming Cours des Miracles for his unhappiness; after all, why else would he be experiencing such sudden misery? It was not fair, nor was it normal; as a loner, he certainly thought about her a lot, but nothing in comparison to how he felt now. Perhaps it was the sloth that had consumed him since he arrived - Shandom had not done much of anything, nor interacted with much of anyone, since arriving in the packlands. He found it too uncomfortable.

And so he came about the decision to wander the halls of the strange Hotel in which most of the pack resided. His steps were short, nervous; in order to maintain a semblance of comfort, Shandom remained in his Lupus form. He was comfortable on four legs - more himself, really. The strange human rooms struck him as borderline idiotic - why would anyone want to live in here? Shandom was doing quite fine with his makeshift den, thank you very much. It was there, underneath the lovely tree, he would stay. Life as a wolf complemented him, as it was the life he was raised to have. This bizarre humanized form would never be his lifestyle. It would never give him any friends, and, if the male were being honest, he missed having friends of his own.

<style type="text/css">
.mustfall b {font-weight:normal; color:#d2e9fe; letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:12px;text-shadow:#182d42 0px 0px 3px; }
.mustfall .ooc {font-style:italic; padding: 5px 5px 20px 5px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#cfd8da; text-align:center; text-shadow:#04050b 0px 1px 1px;}
.mustfall p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 15px 0px 15px; margin:0px;}
.mustfall {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#4076bb; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/lnGAO.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #4076bb; padding: 270px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Times new Roman, sans-serif; font-size:13px; color:#9bdcfe; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;word-spacing:.5px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC Thanks! Let's see if Terra can cheer him up some, hm?

Terra trotted towards the hotel, eager for the warmth. Her winter coat was finally in, but that didn't mean she didn't appreciate the warmth an enclosed space gave her. The day had been spent checking her various food stores. Most of them only held a rabbit or a couple squirrels, but seeing them let her not panic. It wasn't enough to feed a pack, but at least she could help the pack survive by not leaning on their storage. She'd been born near winter, so her memories of it were vague. The hunger stuck out the most, and the fact that she'd been alone with her mother. Come February they'd joined up with other coyotes, but during that time food had been a constant worry. Someone had helped bring them food, but Terra couldn't remember who, or how it had happened.

Terra paused when a scent crossed her nose. It wasn't just the pack smell that permeated everywhere, but of someone she knew. Grinning Terra raced forward. Her friend Shandom had come to visit! She was higher ranked than him now, but that didn't mean anything to the girl. The wolf was still older and wiser than her. Terra's mind held ranks loosely, depicting them more in terms of strength and cleverness than anything else. Shandom could definitely overpower her, and Terra didn't know who would win in a contest of stealth. Shandom! How are you? Terra would have licked him, but remembering his resistance from the last time she checked herself. It's getting cold, isn't it? I've been busy hunting trying to get food while it's still around. The bears will be hibernating soon too, so no stealing from them. Most of her speech was probably nonsense to him, but meeting a familiar face overwhelmed all that to her.

<style type="text/css">
.terrra b {font-weight:bold; color:#116f77; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #041f22; }
.terrra p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.terrra {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#31515c; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/K8FCs.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 270px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#558888; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
.terrra p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.terrra p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]
You reply SO FAST. I am beginning to think you are a robot. WC: 504

Shandom was completely and totally confused. Eyes narrowed, the alabaster male wandered around, constantly on edge and extremely suspicous. He'd never actually been in a human settlement before, and this was absolutely bizarre. The male felt horribly enclosed: he could not taste the normal scents of air, and the wind currents were vastly different. The place was also several degrees warmer than outside, and while that made sense - well structured caves kept him warm as well - Shandom still absolutely hated it. He already missed soft blowing of wind through his fur. There was absolutely no way he would be living here. Ever. What is this place? he thought to himself as he meandered mindlessly through the halls.

A sudden sound, accompanied by a familiar scent, caught his nose. Terra! he boomed excitedly, wagging his tail with delight. Though the pair had started off on the wrong foot in the Unclaimed Lands, Shandom thought her to be a good kid: spunky, if a little annoying and clueless at times. He liked that about her, though. She wasn't particularly worried about normal societal conventions, and while he prescribed to them strictly, he could respect her desire to create her own path. Plus, it made for interesting conversations and potential adventures. He gave her a wide, easy smile and his stance relaxed; she was the one wolf in the pack he actually felt comfortable around. After all, they were met on four legs. I'm doing wonderfully, my lady - Just trying to acquaint myself further with the land I selected as my home. He kept his response neutral, so as to not indicate any displeasure he might harbor towards Cours des Miracles. Shandom had no want to be seen as disrespectful even if he, internally, was.

She babbled cheerfully, discussing winter and food stores. That is an intelligent idea; I have not yet begun my own store. Although, I truly hope you are not actually planning on harassing any bears - you are so tiny, and they are so large! The male's voice was playful; he did not mean what he said as he teased the younger female. In this, Shandom revealed his ignorance of this pack's life - he did not know of any communal stores that may or may not exist. Internally, he was already planning to fend for himself and make as little impression on his new home as possible. Rabbit, squirrels, and other small game were still plentiful, and, if he were lucky, he might be able to bring down a buck or two with the help of some of his packmates... Or maybe Saxif, if she were around. He was definitely more comfortable with the idea of Saxif.

Looking around, Shandom was struck with a seemingly absurd notion. Terra, do you live in here? Shandom asked, his voice slightly strained. I am feeling so entrapped - I have not yet been in here, and I'm not quite sure I enjoy it. It's so strange!

<style type="text/css">
.mustfall b {font-weight:normal; color:#d2e9fe; letter-spacing:.5px;line-height:12px;text-shadow:#182d42 0px 0px 3px; }
.mustfall .ooc {font-style:italic; padding: 5px 5px 20px 5px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#cfd8da; text-align:center; text-shadow:#04050b 0px 1px 1px;}
.mustfall {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#4076bb; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/lnGAO.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #4076bb; padding: 270px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Times new Roman, sans-serif; font-size:13px; color:#9bdcfe; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;word-spacing:.5px;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC I've been caught! lol

Terra grinned at the older male. He was a welcome sight to her. Cocking her head slightly she considered his words. Entrapped? Normally she would have commented more on the winter stores, since that was what was on her mind most recently. While the pack was busy, they seemed mostly unconcerned. This would be her first true winter that she would remember. Terra's memories of hunger were ones she was eager to replace with happier ones. Still, Shandom's remarks struck her as strange. Adapting was in her nature, side by side with her curiosity. While she would probably never use the optime form more than her lupine, she was eager to learn. Terra studied her friend, noting the stiffness in his body. He was fairly relaxed, but more how Terra expected someone to react when on the borders, not in the heart of the territory.

Yes, I do live here. I'm used to living with a pack close together, though I find the divisions rather odd. She'd moved in expecting a room where all the canines slept together, and finding that they didn't had been a shock. Terra didn't really understand why they would separate themselves like that. Mates and mothers with pups were understandable, but outside that the drive for the pack to be together overwhelmed the needs for space. If she needed to be alone, she'd just retire to elsewhere, but the group was where she lived. Terra was used to wandering though, with the group traveling through the territory for better locations according to the time. During winter they headed closer to the herds, and returned in spring to places rich with water and safe for the pups that were usually born.

The idea of entrapment was ridiculous in any sense to her. Due to her size small spaces were her friends, used for safety. The hallways echoed to her. A group of canines could easily surround her with room to spare. The humanness of it, while new, was even less worrying, having grown up near a city. The only time I worry about these buildings is if they're really tall. They get dangerous then. The idea had been drilled into her head, the tale of a building collapsing on a pup told over and over again.

<style type="text/css">
.terrra b {font-weight:bold; color:#116f77; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #041f22; }
.terrra {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#31515c; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/K8FCs.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 270px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#558888; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Explains everything! WC: 378

Seeing how easily Terra had adapted when she had been as feral as he made Shandom slightly pensive. He'd assumed the transition from normal wolf to this humanized creature was something that he'd be going through with at least one other creature. It wasn't as if he'd automatically assumed it would be Terra, but she was the only creature he'd met in the pack that was anything like him. Wild, four legged, lupus-formed... It made him uncomfortable to know that it was, perhaps, him who was the strange one. The idea that he was also shockingly more comfortable when removed from the pack was foreign as well. Shandom had assumed that when he moved back into pack life, he would transition easily; it would be effortless, like breathing. Instead he found himself with this overwhelming confusion and dread. He didn't want to be a loner forever. He needed someplace to call home.

Inhaling deeply, Shandom considered what it would be like to live here, in these four walls. I'm not sure I could quite enjoy it, with all the divisions and such. Plus, I like the outside air, even when it is cold and wintery. Still, I do miss living with my packmates. In my youth, the dens were all close together; nobody was ever particularly isolated unless they wanted to be, and that in itself was quite uncommon. He knew he was probably revealing more than he ought; regardless, he had to talk to somebody. Despite Shandom's naturally aloof nature, he still was not unsociable. The days of loneliness had begun to take their toll on him; he wanted nothing more than to babble away at Terra.

I must admit, I've never seen a particularly tall building. Most of my wanderings have been far away from human settlements. The few cities I've passed have remained mostly in the distance. I've never had much desire to explore them.... I prefer the wild. He grinned at her sheepishly, as if slightly embarrassed of his admission. But, would you mind showing me where you live, Miss Terra? I have not been in any of these rooms, and I'm curious to know the appeal. Shandom hoped he did not come across too blunt or assuming; the male considered her a friend.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC

Terra couldn't help but bark with laughter at Shandom's words.Attraction? We're living in a human building! I don't know what's attractive about that, besides the pack being close together. But sure, I'll show you my room.Terra nuzzled him before trotting down the hall to where she resided. There was a door there, but it was always open, as she couldn't turn the handle in lupine form. Sticking her nose in she pushed it back, revealing her room. It was sparse, the only thing of worthwhile note being the mattress under the window. The window looked down into the square below, as if watching from a tree. The curtains that had been there had been pulled down and wrapped around the mattress rather clumsily. An empty closet stood in one corner. Proudly Terra moved in, climbing into the hole she'd carved into the middle of the mattress. It formed a kind of nest, the mattress curled around her body. She wouldn't be cold with all of this as protection.

What do you think? Terra knew her room was disconcertingly large, but she had a fantastic view point, and sneaking up on her would be difficult. I know it's not much compared to the other rooms. The pack members tend to actually use their space, filling it with...stuff. She didn't quite get the idea of possessions beyond her den and her food. Terra didn't understand the need for more than that, though recently she'd learned about medical supplies. That was quite practical. She watched Shandom nervously, hoping he'd approve. He was the first one other than Robin to see her room, and she hoped it passed inspection. Her criteria for picking a home was rather shallow, as before she'd only picked dens according to survival. If she could fit in it, she used it.

Moving back out Terra trotted over to Shandom. I can understand leaving the cities alone. The only time I went to one was to look for trouble. They're rather dangerous. I feel more in peace within trees as well.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
WC: 472

He followed her warily, still nervous of the strange halls and doors. The male was not accustomed to such a lifestyle, and it seemed in excess to him. It was, really, almost too luxurious. If anyone from Etienne could see him (and see him without hating everything he had done), they would bark a familiar coughing wolfy laugh at his particular situation. Either that or they would accuse him of being a witch, and run him out from the pack - again. Shandom couldn't see himself blaming them, really. Sometimes, he wondered if he had stumbled into a world of magic and abnormal crafts. But then he would look around and take notice of the still remaining shreds of normal, and the male would decide it was all right to stay (and accept that he was in his right mind).

As they walked, Shandom spoke. I can understand wanting to stay near the pack. It's certainly safer, and more natural for us. Still, though, I haven't brought myself to accept that everyone here lives in these strange structures. I just really, really can't see myself living here. I guess it just feels so...counter-intuitive. Had he been in his Optime form, Shandom would have rolled his shoulders to indicate his slightly indecision. When they reached her room, the male peered around. It was very strange to him, but he could see Terra's natural personality showing through: the strange thing upon the floor appeared to have a nest atop it, and she curled quite nicely into it. To me, Terra, this seems like a palace, Shandom laughed. He stayed a respectful distance away from the room. It was part of his upbringing to never enter another's den unless extremely necessary; the Etient valued personal space, and Shandom himself would have found it rude. Truly, it is very nice. It appears very comfortable. But, do you know what else the wolves would keep in here? Perhaps is it extra garments? I see many of our packmates wearing strange human fabrics. I feel I would look utterly ridiculous in such an outfit. He gave her a toothy grin and chuckled to himself at the thought.

I could never go into them. Nothing there feels real - like it's all an illusion, a strange nightmare or something. Shandom shuddered slightly at the thought, his scarred face twisted into an uncomfortable grimace. Plus, it's not the work of our race. Our race is meant to live among the trees, to understand the values of the earth. The structures, to me, are a violation of what is real and natural. The male felt strange and awkward admitting this, as if he were committing a treason. I do not, of course, mean any disrespect to our pack. I really don't. I just wouldn't have come up with the idea myself.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC

She had to agree with the sentiment of it being too large, but Terra couldn't imagine it as luxurious. For her that was a warm place with running water, lots of prey, and the pack living besides her. The idea of anyone finding it like a palace was strange to her. Terra laughed when Shandom mentioned himself in clothes.It's difficult to even picture you as a luperci, let alone wearing those silly things! She didn't hold anything against those that wore clothes, just pointless. The two leggers wore them because they had no fur. Terra had fur, so she didn't need clothes. Cocking her head to the side she considered Shandom's question. I guess they have to put the clothes somewhere. I know that Liam keeps medical stuff around here. He patched me up when I got an arrow stuck in my leg. She'd been lucky, healing without a scar, but the experience had made her edgy about the other packs. Terra didn't feel that she could trust them to be courteous to visitors.

Terra stepped out of the room and headed over to Shandom. As for the structures being unnatural, they've existed for as long as I've been alive, maybe even longer. It's no different than taking over an old badger's den. Though I must admit, the two leggers don't seem to have much sense in their buildings. For Terra what was natural was what could exist in this world. If you could make it it was natural. Her mind struggled with comprehending beyond that. Terra's world was one where what was made was built by hand, an instrument of the living. Her traps were like that, a simple mixture of the materials she'd found moved to serve her purpose. Terra couldn't actually carve, but those that did were held in high esteem for her, a higher extension of her ability to mold her world.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
WC: 447

It made him slightly self conscious that Terra could not picture him as a Luperci, and should he have had the ability his cheeks would have been flushed with crimson. Nevertheless, chocolate orbs were redirected to the floor, and Shandom scuffed his paw a bit. I assure you, I am a Luperci, the male said. I can appreciate the benefits of having the virus, and I try to use them when it's convenient... But adapting to this lifestyle, especially at my age, is something that is just unfathomable for me. I may have acquired it in my relative youth - I was only three at the time - but I did not have much purpose for shifting until I arrived here.

He peered around a moment more before deciding he would have almost no use for one of these rooms. Although it was a decision that ostracized him from the rest of the pack - not that many knew he existed - he was more content that way. Who knew that adapting to the life of a pack wolf would really be so difficult? Who knew that he, a wolf who had been raised entrenched in hierarchy (albeit at the top), couldn't adjust? It was a strange thought to have. The life of a loner had certainly changed the male; there was so much about him that was different from the Shandom Qi'Vaex who lived in Etienne. With a bit of sadness, he wondered if anyone there would even like this new version of him. Puppy and elder killing aside, of course.

It does seem like a good place to store... clothes... and stuff... I guess. If there were a way to keep things cool, I could see myself storing meat in here; it would be safer from other predators. With winter coming, it would be nice to have a surplus of sorts. Shandom trailed off, lost in thought and potential ideas. He knew, however, that it was probably utterly impossible. But, Miss Terra, I have to disagree with you and your badger den argument. To me, it seems... These humans, they were so different from us. My ancestors never had much interaction with them, and so the stories I have heard are sparse and probably incorrect, but I feel as if they were... Impure. As if they abandoned the instincts the Creator bestowed upon them. I would not want to become such a creature. His speech was oddly impassioned as Shandom formulated the ideas that had been gathering in his head since he became a Luperci.

Truthfully, it was his greatest fear. To lose himself, to lose the essence that made him Shandom: that was horrifying.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC Shandom's such an oldie!

Terra blinked in surprise. No one had bothered to explain anything about luperci to her. She'd accepted that she had three forms to take on, and hadn't questioned it beyond that. As far as she knew it was a simple genetic twist. To discover it was a disease was a shock.It's a sickness? She felt foolish asking her friend that, and hurriedly tried to change the subject. Of course it would be useful for storing stuff. I like the idea of keeping stuff cold. That's why I tend to bury my food when winter's coming. It freezes in the ground and doesn't thaw as easily. Her mind buzzed slightly as she tried to view herself as a disease carrier. It made Terra even gladder that she'd left her pack. She didn't want to infect anyone and hurt them. Wait, that meant it was transferable! How? Shandom mentioned getting the virus, so he had been infected? No wonder he struggled so much!

Gently she nuzzled him, wanting to cheer him up. I promise, you'll never become impure. It would be too big a leap! Wouldn't it go against being yourself? Terra knew with a deep surety that losing one's self was difficult. A person could be shaped by events, but the main part that made them up remained in tact. Unless they went mad, of course. Terra had seen a mad animal once. It's mouth had been foaming. It had clearly lost it's mind, attacking everything. Terra had fled the area, running until she collapsed. She doubted Shandom was in danger of losing his mind though. Besides, the humans are gone. They can't touch us. Eventually the buildings will collapse, and we'll have to make our own homes again. Even if you can't adapt to it, it's just a small part of life.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
He really is! I feel like he's always interacting with wolves 3-4 years younger than him, hence him being like 'NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ME' Dx. On another note, you ARE a robot. Either that or you don't need sleep. Ever. WC: 350

Brows furrowed, Shandom gave the female a slightly strange look. Yes, it's a sickness... he said slowly. Was that not common knowledge? Had he been mistaking in assuming that the wolves around here knew of their origins as four legged beasts? Perhaps that would be the explanation for why everyone appeared to like their Optime form so much. So many wolves had been born Luperci, perhaps so many generations, that they did not realize it was not what their ancestors had been. Shandom couldn't be sure how long the virus had existed, but he assumed it wasn't too long. Otherwise, it would have had greater prominence in his little, isolated pocket of Alaska. Someone would have had it. Someone would have told him, instead of just being thrown to the wind with Tourniquet and Adonis. Shaking his head, Shandom responded to her statement of food. I tend to just eat as it comes and not do much storing. Sure, if I somehow slay more than enough, I'll keep it safe in somewhere cool, but otherwise... Here, the male shrugged the best he could - it was a slightly awkward movement. Otherwise, I simply grow thinner in the winter. It does not phase me.

He gave her a gentle smile, as if to reassure her he wasn't completely out of his mind. The nuzzle was strange - he was still unaccustomed to such contact - but Shandom welcomed it without much reaction; in fact, he nuzzled her gently back. Terra was a sweet little girl, and he envied her carefree innocence even more. I suppose you are right. I couldn't really be much more than who I am; regardless, it still feels strange. My entire upbringing I was someone else - someone who existed solely on four legs, and did not know a life otherwise. It was a simple and wonderful life, and I miss it sometimes. Times were certainly easier then... I suppose my age is showing, isn't it? The last sentence was more upbeat; friendlier. Shandom did not exactly adore the notion that he was becoming the resident glum-chum.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC What time is it where you are?

Terra burst into a full laugh, a mixture of coyote yips and a wolf's deeper barks. Yes, you're showing your age. What are you, twelve?She was teasing. Terra knew that Shandom was younger than that, but she couldn't help poking fun at him. Terra didn't really have a past to look back on yet, the parts that stuck out mostly involving her getting into trouble of some sort or another. And hunger. Terra really needed to learn how to hunt. Being able to bring down deer in a pack was all well and good, but it would be better if she could bring down prey on her own as well. The only worry there was from hunting with Liam. The feeling of tapping into that instinctual level had shocked her, unused to her wolven instincts.

She backed up, looking into her room once before tugging the door behind her, letting the room swing out of view. Besides, if you were someone else all that time, it's good that you get to be yourself now. Letting someone else decide who you are is easy. Deciding for yourself is the hard part. Terra felt rather proud of that bit of wisdom. She'd been told that herself by a coyote in her old pack. It was part of a story about how Coyote had lost her memory and enslaved by a two legger. She'd escaped when she'd decided to not let the human dictate who she was. The story had stuck, and Terra had become uncontrollable after that, refusing to let anyone tell her what to do. Well, unless they could force her, which anyone older than her at that time was capable of.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
I'm in Massachusetts, so it was like...midnightish? I'm also a hardcore morning person, so anything after ten seems unholy to me xD Also, sorry it's so short! Kinda in a rush Tongue WC : 271

Shandom laughed loudly and truly. It was a deep, booming noise, rich in baritone notes and wolfish amusement. A wide, true smile broke across his scarred face, and his dark chocolate eyes twinkled merrily. It was a handsome transformation, a brief reminder of who he could be, who he ought to be - the wolf he was when he was not busy wallowing in self pity and nervousness. You caught me, little one he chuckled, his grin still broad and sunny as he looked at her. I'm twelve. But I just happen to look remarkably good for my age. Her laughter was infectious; Shandom felt lighter than he had in a long time, and his alabaster tail wagged cheerfully back and forth.

The topic of who he was sobered him a bit, but not enough to really cause him much duress. It's not that I wasn't myself then - I was. I went through a lot of identity changes in my youth thanks to my sister, but I was fairly comfortable with my sense of self. Here, things are so different. Plus nobody knows of me, or her, and, to be honest, that's incredibly strange. He gave her another roguish grin before turning to wander down the hall rather mindlessly, hoping she would follow. An idea popped into his head as he walked along in a few moments of silence. Miss Terra, would you feel comfortable introducing me to someone who could find me a room, at some point? I'd like to be closer to the pack, now that I think about it. I'm sick of being such an alien here.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC

Shandom's laugh surprised Terra a little. It was so warm and welcoming, strange coming from such a normally serious wolf. His words excited her though. You really want a room here? Being with her friend was absolutely fantastic in her mind. Terra knew it would be difficult for him as well since he found the buildings so unnatural. It made her feel like he was beginning to open up, if only a little bit. I know what you mean about it being weird. Everyone here's a stranger. That doesn't matter though. We'll just make new friends, won't we? She couldn't stop grinning at her friend, ideas rolling through her mind.

Strelein, he's the dauphin, you should talk to him if you need anything. But really, everyone here's just relaxed! You want a room, you can just grab one. If you want to go den hunting I can help. Terra had been tempted to invite him to share her room, but that felt more like something for a mate. As empty as it felt to her Terra would put up with it. Besides, she was used to sleeping alone, and it was nice to be able to sleep without getting kicked in the side by someone. When Terra slept she slept deeply, but that didn't mean she didn't move around, and Terra had woken up a fair share of times with mysterious bruises.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
WC : 370

He thought about her question for a moment, though he supposed it was rhetorical. Did he? Or was it just a passing whim, something he would come to regret later? Shandom supposed nobody was at his throat, demanding he live in a room, but regardless. The idea felt strange and almost uncomfortable, but he had to adjust. The way he was living was bordering on the point of ridiculousness. Packmates were supposed to be near each other, not only for the companionship, but also to protect the pack in the case of an attack. While he was completely blind on one side, his training would no doubt be of some use should the worst happen. But he would only be able to help if he were actually there. Yes, I suppose I do want a room, Shandom murmured. It would be best for everyone, myself included.

He found the idea of 'just grabbing one' to be a little odd, though he supposed he should take Terra's word for it. The building was so expansive - Shandom imagined there was plenty of space. I guess that would be a good idea, though I'd want to have a meeting with someone higher in power to make sure the room I take is all right. And then I really ought to start pulling my own weight around here... I just find it strange to spend so much time in Optime form, and I feel like that would be necessary for me to make an impact. Shandom shook his head, clearly somewhat befuddled about what he had to do. Ah, age! he proclaimed after a moment. Makes it harder to adjust to absolutely everything. Including seasons - I can feel the cold in my joints already. He winked at her, referring to her early comments about his age. Though he appeared to be facetious, he wasn't - Shandom was alarmingly stiff, and he was concerned.

Come, let us explore this place, Shandom declared before walking forward. His held his head high and proud, though he tried not to appear arrogant. Regardless, he could not help the excitement that began to seep in his veins.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC Shandom's so nice and happy! Also hope you don't mind me writing them wandering the halls

Ears pricked Terra bounded after her friend. Even in all the excitement Shandom remained mannerly, saying that he would talk to someone higher ranked to make sure that the room wasn't taken. Well you're in luck, as I'm the new boss! Terra laughed. No, they wouldn't actually give me that job. Like I said though, you can talk to Strel. He's a beta. That wasn't the proper term, but that was the one she equated him to.

Together the two friends wandered the halls, examining the various rooms. Some of them smelled strongly of pack members, so they steered around them. Other rooms appeared to be empty, causing Terra to explode into a sneezing fit when they disturbed the dust. There was a nice variety to choose from. Some had windows looking towards the shore, while others like her room looked over the pack lands. A couple of them were filled with old furniture, with barely enough room for them to walk around in. They even found one room with a rotting bed in it. Terra's favorites, though, were the ones near her room. There were a couple empty rooms to the right of hers and one across the hall. She'd let Shandom decide though. Since he was making the big choice, he would be the one to choose what he really liked.

Terra's excitement didn't slow down on the whole trip. She'd never really explored the hotel before then, being satisfied with knowing where her pack members were and sleeping in her little nest. Terra noticed several excellent hiding places and quick escapes for leaving the hotel. That was useful, as before her options had been to jump out the window or leave by the main exit. You know, not all of the ranks need you to be in optime form. Like, the huntsman. That's in charge of supplying food. You could be good at that. Or maybe you'd be a teacher for the pups? Terra considered her friend really smart, and thought he'd be good at that.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
He's actually a pretty likable dude! 'Souls has just thrown him for a loop as of late. WC : 613

Shandom nodded, committing the name to memory. Strel he repeated internally. He hadn't yet learned the names of the leadership, which was slightly embarrassing, not to mention rude. Sometime soon, he would need an audience with this Strel and the Alpha... Shandom wracked his memory for a moment, recalling a brief meeting he'd had with a woman in the forest one of the firsts nights he'd been there. Ayita, her name was, and she said her mate was the Alpha... The male's brow furrowed slightly as he focused to try and remember the name she'd mentioned. It was something that struck him as a little strange, though he hadn't said so at the time. Vi... Vi... Vi something. It would come to him.

As they walked through the halls, Shandom remained mostly silent. He paused at several rooms, most of them vacant - though he did see one that had an object (later, he would it was a chair) that looked to be extremely comfortable. Part of him wanted to me near the center, where most of the rooms were (and therefore most of the pack), but Shandom could not see himself becoming so comfortable with the masses so quickly. Being in the same building was, probably, enough. Even in Etienne, he'd been relatively isolated from the rest of the pack. While Lea and he were in the den area, of course, their little alcove had been slightly more secluded. Shandom had always appreciated his privacy, and supposed he would enjoy the same thing here. As he decided, the male spoke to Terra, though his voice was slightly distant. Yes, those all would be easily doable in this form... But I am not the best hunter - my blindness hinders me in that particular field - and children... Here, he struggled to find the right word without completely alienating the female. Not finding it, Shandom simply sighed and shook his head. I am not suited to educate youth. I have seen many things, and know many good stories, but it would be unsafe for me to spend excessive time around them. No, I will have to find something else. I would be an excellent educator for the adults of our pack - I am familiar with the history of our race, and in my training to be the Alpha when I was a child, I was trained in military pursuits as well. But, Shandom paused, attempting to formulate his thoughts again. But I shall simply have to find something, I guess. He gave her an easy smile that did not betray the gravity of what he had admitted to her, though he was not sure if she would notice it.

Moments later, he stopped at a medium sized room that was facing the sun. Wintery light streamed in, highlighting the dusty wooden floor. There were scattered bits of what was once furniture strewn about, as well as some decomposing blankets - Shandom supposed he could use these as insulation during the winter. Closet doors were thrown haphazardly open to reveal the emptiness within - they would be ideal for storing anything if he ever chose to do so. Smile wide, Shandom sauntered in and sniffed the air. It smelled friendly, like something he could get used to. Turning to Terra, the male said I think this is the one. What do you think? It was further away from most of the rooms, and the alabaster male was certain he would not be constantly disturbed by wolves going to and fro. The level of isolation he sought was there, as well as the connectivity. And, for some strange reason, he hoped for Terra's approval.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC

Terra didn't need to hear what had happened to hear the sorrow in his voice. Hackles raised on her back as he talked about it being unsafe for him to be around children. Trying to calm herself Terra looked at the room he'd picked out. It was isolated, but the view from the window was beautiful. The scraps of blankets would be useful for sleeping, and he had a closet just like her room had had. There wasn't much that he could use to sleep with, unless he was just planning on sleeping on top of the blankets. It's very nice. Peaceful.That was the main feeling that the room carried, a place to watch the world go by in. She was a little disappointed that he wasn't closer, but the choice was actually well made.

Terra laid down in the room, watching the winter sun's light play in the dust. Teaching the adults here would be interesting, to say the least. Last time I checked they all seem pretty happy in their little world. If anything Terra felt that she could learn from them, and wasn't sure about how receptive they would be towards the kind of information canines from non-luperci packs had. Of course, I'll be your first pupil. I'm not a very good hunter. She grinned at her words. It was dangerous for her to not be able to hunt, but there was more than one way to get food, and she was an expert thief. Still, she'd feel better if she didn't have to rely on others so much.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
WC: 382

He could see her reaction to his brief mention of his past. Her hackles lifted, probably instinctually, and he could sense the discomfort. Shamed, Shandom aveted his eyes to the ground. IT was a dark little mention he probably shouldn't have made - he was scary enough with the scar, and now probably thought he was a psychotic, unbalanced, evil pup killer.

Actually, he thought to himself, that's just about right.

Shaking his head, the male diverted his attention away from the absolutely useless thoughts of his past. There was nothing he could do to bring Xyvi and Kora back, though he'd give the world for that chance. Shandom let an easy,r elaxed grin grace his face again, and he wagged his tail eagerly at her approval. You think? It's why I like it - it's very serene, and isolated enough so I don't have to constantly be dealing with riff raff like you. He nudged her playfully before sauntering in and beginning to arrange the blankets into a comfortable looking nest. I think these will do nicely, don't you? The male moved them into the patch of sunlight near the window and curled up within them, letting the warm rays hit his alabaster coat. Eyes drifted shut as the male relaxed, languidly stretching and adjusting himself to this new, indoor concept.

Adults all tend to be like that, Shandom commented, eyes still closed. From this angle, it could be seen that the long, jagged scar stretched over his eyelid as well; it was a horrible injury. But it almost suited his face, giving it a rugged, been-there-done-that kind of look. Still, he was not proud of it - if the technology were known to him, Shandom would have had the scar removed. I've never come across a fully grown wolf who doesn't think they know everything. Deep down, we all think our own experiences are the truest ones, the ones that hold the most evidence of what our world really is. I'm the same way, but I'd like to think that learning a little bit of history would give other wolves perspective as well.

He wondered if there was a rank for that. Now that Shandom knew the name of the Beta -Strel - maybe he would actually get something accomplished.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC

Terra's tail wagged lazily as Shandom spoke. She could see it as being true, though the curiosity she'd inherited had kept the adults she'd grown up with from acting like they knew everything. They taught what they knew was needed to survive and then set out pushing the boundaries as far as they could. If one went far, another would go farther. It was almost a constant game of leap frog, though Terra had been too young to participate.

Riff raff? Now whatever gave you that idea? Terra playfully teased. She knew full well that Shandom was more reserved than most of the canines in the pack, and enjoyed poking fun about it. A rank of a historian would be rather interesting in her mind. Terra had a record of the history of her pack in stories, but it wasn't necessarily very accurate. They tended to change as they were passed on, to make the story more exciting, or emphasize what the storyteller thought was important.

Lazily Terra came over, stealing a patch of the sun for herself. She'd learned more about Shandom in this brief walkabout then she'd ever expected. Terra hadn't known that Shandom had been trained to be an alpha, and she'd been shown a glimpse of his darker past. Normally her curiosity would have pressed her to find out more, but she was content to just enjoy herself with him and let her tell her what he wanted.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]