.sivText {
padding:172px 0 0 213px;
font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;
font-size:14px;
}
.sivText p { margin:0; padding:0; text-indent:25px;}
</style>

For Sie

It had been luck, really, that she had found him. Reykr was a man whom she held very little respect; he was another game she had won, and the prize had been her daughter. While she could have relied on him, seeing him once more had reminded her of all of the misdeeds committed. Unwilling to carry the ghost with her, she had used him as she had before.

The stag weighed more than she did, but Siv was a strong woman. She fashioned a drag from two long sticks, using what leather she had left from the hearg. It had been a long journey and her supplies had become remarkably limited, but if she managed to make her way into a pack she could begin leatherwork again. Certainly, at least, ensuring her own survival would become easier. It was her daughter she worried for, though she was a woman more than capable of surviving on her own.

With Draugr at her heel, the woman found the borders after some searching. The girl’s scent had not been identifiable, but the plant she had used was—it blew from the ocean, masked by salt and the oncoming threat of winter. The sky above was gray, dark, and threatening snow. Siv brushed off the dead leaves from the deer and rose, waiting.

[/html]
[html]

(302)

Eris is by me!

The dark-hued woman was not particularly fond of pacing these outlands on her lonesome. It was a boring task to begin with, and lacking for company, it became even more tedious. Today, Eris had only Itzcitla to keep her company. The cat meandered around her, sometimes pacing at her side and sometimes ranging almost out of her sight. He always returned, however, and Eris was glad for his company. Though she could not converse with the cat, he was entertainment all the same, often mewling as he returned to her. She found such behavior adorable, of course, and rewarded him with a scratch on his head.

Just now, the cat paced close to her, and he seemed on edge. The hybrid watched him with curious chartreuse eyes, stopping as he puffed up with aggression. Eris, too, smelled why -- there was a stranger, two strangers. One was very young, and Eris eased Itzcitla with a quiet few words, leaning down to stroke at his shoulders. I don't think they mean to threaten, she said, softly. She did not know if the cat took her meaning or not -- though he relaxed, it might have been her tone, too.

They were close to Salsola's lands, but far enough away from the border -- this was not a threat, the sable hybrid thought. A threat would not be quite so blatant. Still, her movements toward the stranger were cautious, and she halted several good feet away, staring at the dark woman with peculiar interest. There was something Eris liked and disliked about this woman immediately, though the hybrid could not say what either was. Her chartreuse eyes drifted to the woman's companion and the thing they dragged behind them.

Bold wanderers, she addressed them, her voice sharp. Surely, you know where you tread.

<style>
#erisSie {
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#erisSie p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#erisSie p.sieImage {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
font-style:italic;
float:right; margin:5px;
}
#erisSie .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif;
text-transform:none;
font-weight:normal; }
#erisSie .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#erisSie b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#erisSie u { text-decoration: underline; }
#erisSie b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisSie b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisSie b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]
[html]<style>
.sivTable {
background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/bLKIz.png);
background-repeat:no-repeat;
background-position:top center;
margin:0 auto;
width:500px;
}
.sivText {
}
</style>

Siv was thankful her daughter was well behaved. Part of this likely came from the girl having just eaten, as food tended to quiet all children. It would do her no good if an over-eager child broke traditional laws and went charging across borders chasing who-knew-what. Dragur was not an ordinary child, though, and often displayed a stillness that some part of Siv found unsettling. Still, she loved her daughter fiercely—no one, not the Hearg, not the Gods, and certainly not the child’s father, would ever take her away.

It surprised her that the woman who appeared was accompanied by, of all things, a cat. She had seen cats before, and admired their pelts and hunting skills, but to see one walk with a wolf was new. Logically, she attributed this to training. Atheist or not, however, she recognized that control over an animal (especially a wild animal like a cat) was a sign of power. This woman, whoever she was, carried much with her. Siv took her in without looking into her eyes, and wondered if the various spirals meant something similar to the knotwork design she attributed to their own gods.

The way the woman held herself and her tone told Siv everything else she needed to know. Power, yes, but power of the worldly sort. She was high-ranking. “The name was not spoken,” Siv began, her voice soft and evenly toned. She knew the power of tongue, and used it well. “All I know is that this place holds great respect by those who inhabit it. I am a stranger here,” she added, though her behavior no doubt betrayed this. “Yet...your home calls to me,” the dark she-wolf went on, and then fell silent.

[/html]
[html]

(309)

Eris is by me!

The dark hybrid was uncertain, but she put forth a facade of confidence all the same, openly gazing at the pair of wolves and the carcass behind them with mild interest. When the answer was spoken, she twitched an ear, but that was all; her face retained the same passive, casually curious look. There was silver streaked across this woman, and a rusty hint to her fur. Where Eris was rounded and soft, the stranger seemed larger and harsher, though her womanly charms were as ample as The Auxiliary's own, if not more so. She was younger, too, and the dark hybrid could see the delicate seeds of beauty already sprouting in the quiet child with the splotched face.

Though jealousy panged acutely in the sable hybrid's chest, she merely nodded. She knew the call the silver-splashed woman spoke of; it would have been similar to that call her mother spoke of with Inferni and her children, she thought. The grizzled woman would not know her Eternity grandchildren, however, and Eris doubted the coyote clan would call to them -- they were too wolfish by far, and they would be rejected as any other too-wolf scum at the clan's borders. At least Inferni would provide them with that courtesy. It was more than she had gotten from them -- in her case, she'd simply remained on the outskirts of the clan, never integrating with the coyotes for her too-wolf face.

A stranger, she muttered, musing to herself. I wouldn't have guessed. Though generally able to hold her tongue quite well, whatever set her teeth on edge about this one had loosed her tongue, as well. Who sent you here? she asked, speaking with more volume this time. Their name? She was curious to know who had passed Salsola along to this woman.

<style>
#erisSie {
}
#erisSie p {
}
#erisSie p.sieImage {
}
#erisSie .txtooc {
#erisSie .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#erisSie b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#erisSie b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisSie b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
</style>[/html]
[html]<style>
.sivTable {
}
.sivText {
}
</style>

There were tell-tale signs of birth clinging to the woman; she was broader in the hips, and fat still clung to her body (though Siv noted she was rotund regardless of childbirth), and her breasts were still heavy and unusually full. Siv’s own body had tried to cling to fat desperately, but the need for fuel had all but eaten it away. Taller that the woman before her, the weight she carried was balanced out and accentuated a figure almost ethereal with its dark grace. She hated her willowy body and often wished for stronger muscles, like her father.

It was impossible to miss the venom in the woman’s voice, and Siv watched her impassively. Inwardly, she seethed. Did she think herself so mighty? Oh yes, she most certainly did. At that moment, Siv began to assign labels and views to the older woman, though her face carefully showed nothing. “I came of my own accord,” the woman replied. “There is no place for me over those mountains,” Siv went on. “I saw weakness there, and have no desire to allow my child to grow with a soul fed by dreamers.” Savage, brutal worlds. Thor’s children so often were.

[/html]
[html]

(--)

Eris is by me!

One corner of the coal hybrid's mouth twitched in a faint expression of displeasure, but it did not boil madly to the surface. The dark hybrid was not one of uncontrollable rage and fire; more often than not, even her deepest anger was a beast she could harness and use to her advantage. As much as this rust-tinged woman unnerved her, the stranger could not completely shake The Auxiliary's cool.

Tsk, she tutted, just once, a single shake of her head given. If you came of your own accord, you should have given me your own name. I'll have it now, the dark woman said, ignoring the comment regarding the child. It was an extension of its mother -- outsiders received not a fraction of the warmth and motherly affection Eris reserved for her own children and the rest of Salsola, her true family.

Surely someone has told you of us, the chartreuse-eyed woman added, gesturing with one surprisingly long, spidery finger. You've brought a gift. Or am I mistaken -- is that your provision? she asked, inquiring almost politely now. There was a twinkle of joviality in her voice, though it was barbed -- a mockery of true camaraderie, of course.

<style>
#erisSie {
}
#erisSie p {
}
#erisSie p.sieImage {
}
#erisSie .txtooc {
</style>[/html]
[html]<style>
.sivTable {
}
.sivText {
}
</style>

Oh this cow was trying her, and Siv knew the game all too well. She had seen it in the older women of her home, in the eyes of the judgmental and those who did not understand. Age gave power, but oh how much did they think they had? These women were not gods. This woman was not a god. She was an aging, heavy-set woman who seemed as if the need for control was so desperate it drove her mad. Siv did her best not to smile.

“Forgive me,” Siv cooed, and dipped her head. “My name is Siv Helsi. No one has spoken of your home to me; indeed, I met a girl who did not speak of her home at all. Her silence intrigued me.” She looked to the buck, a strong, proud thing, and returned her too-sharp gaze to Eris…though her eyes did not lift from the woman’s hands, studying them as if they might betray what she was. “I brought a gift because there is little I can offer. I made it across the wilderness with a child, and I can tool and craft leather, but my talent and my birthright is one of the spiritual world.”

[/html]
[html]

(328)

Eris is by me!

There was some humility in this poltroon of an outsider, at least. Siv had that going for her, dipping her head toward the ground in the face of Salsola's mighty Auxiliary. Eris's curiosity was piqued at the mention of one of their own pack -- one who had kept their secrets well enough, Eris supposed, if Siv had not been able to glean so much as a name from this Salsolian. Whoever they were, they were in dire need of some praise directly from The Auxiliary herself. Her muzzle split into a queer grin, and she nodded, remaining silent so the coal-hued stranger might continue to plead her case. Eris was no fool, and she knew what Siv and her daughter wanted even before they had stated their cause.

There was a flicker of motion beside Eris, a whisper of touch against her ankle. Itzcitla had settled beside her, but his tail flicked from side to side, and his eyes never left the outsiders -- the younger one, in particular. Itzcitla had always been fond of Eris's own children, and the dark hybrid assumed he had a generalized fondness for children. Perhaps it had been trained into him in Eterne. The dark woman knew only a pitiful amount of her ocelot's training and origins. Metetzili had explained it once upon a time, but the coyote did not recall his speech. Her attention was quick to return to the outsider, however, and Eris's chartreuse eyes lit with interest.

What spiritual gifts were bestowed to you? Or -- did you learn them? The coyote was now intrigued, of course. That she sensed no power in Siv, that the dark woman's spirit seemed as hollow and bleak as her face meant nothing. Eris was not capable of sensing all power, after all, and her own gift of seeing the powers of others was weak, after all. Her tail flicked back and forth, faster than her ocelot's.

<style>
#erisSie3 {
}
#erisSie3 p {
}
#erisSie3 p.sieImage {
float:left; margin:5px;
}
#erisSie3 p.sieImage + p:first-letter {
font-size:65px;
display:block;
float:left;
margin:5px;
}
#erisSie3 p.sieImage + p { text-indent:0; }
#erisSie3 .txtooc {
font-family:georgia, serif
line-height:16px;
#erisSie3 .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#erisSie3 b { letter-spacing:-.5px; }
#erisSie3 u { text-decoration: underline; }
#erisSie3 b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisSie3 b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisSie3 b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]
[html]<style>
.sivTable {
}
.sivText {
}
</style>

If there was anything that Siv understood, it was the appearance of propriety. She could fake her emotions and her integrity to a point that was nearly flawless. Obviously, she understood the need for such things. While she might have thought of herself as high and mighty, this world was not her own. The dark woman before her was a leader (her scent on the border betrayed this) and obviously hardly cared for newcomers. Streaked hair fell about her shoulders as she shifted to eyeball the peculiar beast.

While Siv had seen wildcats before, one spotted and shaped like the ocelot was new to her. Where had this woman come from? What gave her control over the animal? Magic, a part of her whispered. Her eyes darkened, however slightly. “I was born with them; where I come from, those who have gifts are respected above all others. I was the youngest ever chosen to become a member of the völva; what we call our witches.” At her foot, Dragur moved cautiously forward, curious about the cat. Siv dropped quickly and picked up the now nearly twenty-pound pup with ease. “I can read runes, and know the magic of wands and weaving. That sort of power can bind others together…though I suspect you have some knowledge of this. That cat alone proves your gifts.”

[/html]
[html]

(321)

Eris is by me!

Itzcitla reacted curiously to the woman's daughter, issuing a soft meowing sound. Eris had never heard that noise from him before, or so she thought -- perhaps she simply hadn't been paying attention. The dark woman was quick to bend over and snatch the splotch-faced daughter, holding the small puppy in her strong arms. Eris made no move for Itzcitla, but the cat remained by her side anyway, now passive in the face of these strangers. She would protect him like a child of her own, and the dark Auxiliary often felt her ocelot understood this as if she'd spoken it aloud. She had never, but she figured she owed the cat quite a lot. He had saved her life on that journey northward, after all.

The foreign word Siv spoke was entirely unknown to Eris, who flicked an ear at its exotic sound. Though something about this silver-tipped woman still set her on edge, the dark hybrid was beginning to believe this was a case where she had best put her personal feelings aside for the good of the pack. Tlantli was no longer able to perform her duties, and the dark hybrid saw no one else within Salsola's present rankings who might aspire to hold The Crone's position. They were lacking in spirituality; Salsola could not send away power when it came knocking.

Very well. A witch, she said, uncertain just how the dark woman had pronounced the foreign word. Perhaps Salsola is held together by magic and magic alone. Your powers are not my own, nor anyone else within this clan. Tell me -- she said, her voice growing grave. Would you offer us your complete loyalty? Servitude is a requirement. The haughtiness had drained away from the dark woman's voice, and her chartreuse eyes now regarded the stranger with razor sharpness, seeking the faintest iota of doubt or hesitation in her.

<style>
#erisSie2 {
font-family:'trebuchet ms', tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;
font-size:13px;
}
#erisSie2 p {
}
#erisSie2 p.sieImage {
}
#erisSie2 .txtooc {
font-family:georgia, serif
#erisSie2 .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#erisSie2 b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#erisSie2 u { text-decoration: underline; }
#erisSie2 b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisSie2 b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisSie2 b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]
[html]<style>
.sivTable {
}
.sivText {
}
</style>

The warmth of her breast eased the girl, and Siv drew her power from the instinct that bonded her to the child. Draugr needed a home. Draugr needed everything her mother could not provide alone. The Hearg had exiled her for daring to defy them, and it had cost her—but only temporarily. She could have gone anywhere. Something had compelled her here; Reykr’s presence alone confirmed that. Something about this distant land had pulled them both, and something equally as powerful had pulled her south and towards this unknown pack. Siv didn’t even know its name.

Servitude. How odd, to think of herself in such a position. Yet she had done it before, while training, and she was a woman wise enough to understand the roles and duties of many. A low whine from her daughter was eased with a rumbling reply, as if to reassure herself of this choice.

“I will do whatever you ask. My skills are yours to use as it is seen fit; I offer you these things for a home for us.” As she said this, one hand gestured to the buck. It was an impressive kill, and she was thankful that it had not been her work going over to this pack.

[/html]
[html]

Eris is by Alaine!

There was no call to take this one from the wild, to pluck her and her child up from nothing and bring them into Salsola. Eris would have been troubled by this, but she had no reason to think she should feel something. The dark woman had struck something odd in her, and perhaps that was the feeling The Auxiliary missed. It was not necessarily true that she should like every power she encountered: that she had desired and feared the power of others before did not mean every future encounter with a canine in possession of power went the same.

The hybrid took a long moment to deliberate with herself, her chartreuse eyes working over the woman and child, along with the buck. If she ran them off, they would have food enough to last them a week or maybe more, but the little one would die in winter, and her mother, too, maybe. Luck did not favor the loner, but Eris was under no obligation to assist every forlorn and lost canine seeking a home. Then again -- her Salsola was not strong enough, and who was she to scoff at power offered openly? There was nothing to mistrust in this Siv -- her words rang true, she had a daughter to protect and there was something in her that resonated within the coal-hued wolf.

When you step over this border, you are agreeing to live by our ways. Your daughter, by proxy, agrees to live by our ways. Your step forward binds the agreement, the dark woman said at long last, peering at her new charges curiously. They had but one chance to turn on their heels and walk away.

<style>
#erisAlaine {
}
#erisAlaine p {
}
#erisAlaine p.sieImage {
}
#erisAlaine .txtooc {
font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
#erisAlaine .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#erisAlaine b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#erisAlaine u { text-decoration: underline; }
#erisAlaine b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisAlaine b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#erisAlaine b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]
[html]<style>
.sivTable {
}
.sivText {
}
</style>

Even through the silence, Siv held vigilant. She did not pray, as one might imagine someone of her title to do. There was little faith in her left for Odin All-Father, or his sons and daughters. They had not been there when she needed them, and they had never spoken to her or given her signs as others had seen. Her faith was in herself, and in her bones, her blood, and her will. They would survive this winter even if she had to grovel before this black-cow of a woman.

Without a word, without a spoken oath, Siv advanced. She looked up to the woman, but not into her eyes, and there was no doubt in her face. Even if fate had not drawn her here, she would make it her own. If power rested here, she would find it and exploit it as she had before. Not for herself now, no, but for the girl curled up in her arms and half-asleep. The road had been long, and hard, and she now desired respite.

[/html]
Welcome to Salsola
Ranks · Site · Wiki · News

Remember:

• Your character is likely to be ranked Associate for a while before receiving any promotions -- if you're looking to accelerate the process, make yourself useful to the pack by:
    • Participating in Pack Projects
    • Working toward a Co-Rank or assisting others in achieving their own Co-Ranks
    • ICly befriending the higher ranks and making your character useful to them. Alternatively, seeking a mate in a higher rank is a fast-track to promotion.

As a new member, why not:

• Start plotting with your fellow members -- start or join an Open Thread on Salsola territory.
  • Figure out which of the co-ranks you'd like and let the leadership know which you'd like to join.
  • Check out our pack game and start earning points! You can claim a residence after 50 points in the pack game.
  • Familiarize yourself with the pack's leaders and make sure you contact one of us if you encounter any sort of difficulty or require any assistance. You can send us a Private Messages or post to the Salsola Maintenance thread.