rocky road
[html]
every memory that I hold

were all just scars in the making

Word Count → 534

Vesper picked her way carefully up the well-worn mountain trail, her ears set back with determination as her eyes picked out too-steep areas on the path. Despite the difficulty she had with it, she walked on two legs, and she did not stop to shift even after losing her footing for the umpteenth time. Instead, she crouched quickly to brace herself, panting quietly, and lifted herself back up again to keep walking, her lean body slanted slightly toward the mountain.

She found that she learned and practiced best with pressure, when she was forced to perfect something at the risk of injury or even death. After all, she had learned relatively quickly the basics of fighting in optime when pretending that her trainer was going to kill her—and even before that, in the weeks after the injury to her hind paw, she had learned how to keep balance and be swift. Even now, a severe misstep in her ungainly two-legged form would send her careening down the mountain or at least with a sprained ankle. It might have been stupid to take risks like that, but she’d only stumbled near the base, and as the path elevated, steep and somewhat treacherous, she had gotten the hang of it enough to not die.

This was the quickest way for her to learn how to deal with this shape and, damn it, Vesper wanted to learn.

She did allow herself a rest, however, when she heard the trickle of a mountain stream in the vicinity. Still breathing heavily, she picked her way along the rocks and twigs in her path and crouched at the water’s edge, cupping the cold and clear liquid in her hands then bringing it to her lips to lap. Her thirst quenched, she lifted her head at the sound of feathers rustling.

A spruce grouse sat in a tree above the stream, out of reach for a non-luperci but not for the young woman now. It was very still, though she could sense that it was aware of her presence. It was relatively easy to catch one of the things once you could find them, but their camouflage made hiding the better option. She licked her lips and walked as casually as she could to the tree, leaning against it like usual, judging the distance between the crook it was snuggled into and her own height. If she lifted her arms and gave a little hop…

Vesper jumped quickly, one clawed hand grasping hard at the branch while her other swiped at the bird. Its wings flailed, but she had hooked it and it tumbled—along with Ves and the branch, which hadn’t been able to support her way. With a loud crack, it landed on the ground, and Vesper yelped. She managed to land on her feet and immediately jumped for the grouse, grabbing it awkwardly in her hands then bringing it to her jaws with a sharp bite. Twisting its neck with her teeth, she dropped it back into her hands.

And grinned…once she realized she could pull off its feathers, rather than get a mouthful of plumage when she took a bite. This luperci thing kept surprising her.

Vesper Optime by Nat; table code from the Mentors!

<style>
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:left; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
.vesoptime-box {float:right;}
.vesoptime {font-family:georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 25px;}
.vesoptime .words {font-size:30px; font-family: 'Gloria Hallelujah'; text-align:right; line-height:20px; padding:0px 5px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px;}
.vesoptime p.ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; text-align:justify; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.vesoptime p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.vesoptime .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.vesoptime p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:5px;}
.vesoptime b {letter-spacing:1px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:-.05em;}
</style>

[/html]
[html]

I'm using the table you made me. I still love it. ^_^

Word Count → 408

This time Kiara had traveled far from the apartment in search of food. Sarian was getting bigger, as she was nearly two months old and almost completely weaned. Kiara was producing less and less milk for the puppy and soon she would not have to lactate at all. Kiara looked forward to not to the time when Sarian would no longer have to suckle, but also dreaded the thought because she would have to go out hunting more often. Even now, Kiara would often go out hunting to provide for herself and Shiloh. The snow wolf did not want to have to rely on the pack for food because they were busy enough trying to fill the stores in preparation for winter.

Kiara took her time to travel through the mountains and searched for prey with almost a casual air. Sarian had expressed an interest in trying some fowls, so Kiara was specifically looking for any birds large enough to be worth her time. After some time, the huntress came across a rather plump spruce grouse that was picking at the dirt. With practiced silence, Kiara crept towards the grouse and prepared herself to pounce. However, the snowy wolf experience a stroke of bad luck and the grouse spotted the wolf's bright coat before Kiara could strike. The grouse took off with a flurry of feather's leaving Kiara with no choice but chase the bird.

The arctic wolf followed her avian foe all the way to a nearby stream and watched helplessly as the grouse settled on a branch too high for Kiara to ever reach. Defeated, Kiara turned around and slowly started on her trip back to Ichika empty handed. The young wolf did not get very far as her sensitive ears picked up the grouses distressed calls. What could have managed to kill the bird when it was so high up. Curiosity bested Kiara and she turned around to investigate.

Kiara's sensitive nose picked up the scent of a pack, as well as something familiar. Before Kiara sat a luperci, who's body was badly scarred and whose coloring somehow seemed familiar. Kiara squinted her sapphire eyes as she tried to recall where she had seen this individual. "Vesper? Is that you?" Kiara couldn't be certain if the figure before her was in fact Vesper, because the coywolf she knew was not a luperci. Kiara tentatively stepped forward, her nose working overtime, trying to confirm her suspicions.

<style type="text/css">
.kiaratree b {font-weight:bold; color:#dbe3ff; text-shadow:#0a273b 0px 0px 1px;}
.kiaratree p {padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.kiaratree {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#2a4c56; background-image:url(http://i54.tinypic.com/20js9j6.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #420503; padding: 470px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#60848f; line-height:16px; text-align:justify;}
.kiaratree .wordcount {color:#60848f; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dashed #dbe3ff; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
.kiaratree .ooc {font-style:italic; font-size:11px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
every memory that I hold

Word Count → 429 :: Aww. Big Grin I'll have to make Kiara another one, or one for your new charrie at least. Also... sad-freaking-out-Ves feels guilty. :C

Vesper set to work plucking the creature, delighted to feel that its body was plump even under the thick padding of plumage. She did not pick the feathers with the finesse of a born luperci, but instead grabbed tufts in her fist and ripped, tossing the feathers carelessly off to the side. She knew that some luperci tied feathers in their mane or otherwise decorated things with them, but she imagined that it wouldn’t be worth it unless it was a very special kill—which this wasn’t, even if it was one of her first times hunting in this shape.

She was entranced in her work, for she did not hear the footfalls of another approaching no catch the scent of a wolf over the tantalizing odor of the dead bird. She did, however, look up in surprise when her name was spoken by a somewhat familiar voice: and her paws retracted from the grouse immediately as her sky blue eyes met those of a deeper sapphire shade, set into a youngish white face. She blinked in confusion and took a step back, still crouched in a feral posture and her ears lying back uncertainly.

“Kiara?” the light tawny coywolf whispered. Her tail danced briefly across the ground as she recognized the girl—and then she recalled when she had first met the arctic Ichikan. Her friendly expression faltered and darkened as she discerned the reason for the other’s odd tone.

She was changed. She was infected. She reeked of luperci and now she reeked of pack—a far cry from the proud non-luperci loner she had once been.

“Y-yeah, it’s me,” Vesper offered quietly. She thought of shifting to match the other’s natural, four-legged body but decided that she didn’t want to go through the lengthy process. Seeing luperci shift had bothered her months ago, so she could only assume that Kiara felt the same way.

Her tongue ran over her dry lips. “I—” She tried to find something to say, but nothing came out, and suddenly her expression became that of deep shame. She’d met others who were surprised by her change, but they had not been non-luperci. Funnily enough, she felt as if she had disappointed or betrayed Kiara in some way by taking away the one thing they could relate to each other with, even though she had not chosen this.

Or maybe she had. She’d chosen to stand up against the mongrel who had attacked and infected her with her blood. She’d been careless, and stupid, and now she was a two-legged freak.

<style>
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:left; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}
.vesoptime {font-family:georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 25px;}
.vesoptime .words {font-size:30px; font-family: 'Gloria Hallelujah'; text-align:right; line-height:20px; padding:0px 5px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px;}
.vesoptime p.ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:12px; text-align:justify; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.vesoptime b {letter-spacing:1px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:-.05em;}
</style>

[/html]
[html]

A new table for Kiara would be great. Hotaru has two so I want to use those for a while. But don't push yourself. Poor Ves, so sad.

Word Count → 255

Kiara's heart danced with excitement as her suspicions were confirmed. The luperci before her was the very same Vesper whom she had gone on an adventure with just a month ago. Kiara laughed as tail flew right into the air and danced with joy. The arctic wolf bounded towards Vepser and began to lick the coywolf as a happy greeting. Although Kiara was careful not to step on the dead bird, feathers still clung to the arctic wolfs fur as she danced around.

Even after Kiara and Vesper had parted, the young wolf still wondered what had become of her friend. The last time the two had met, Vesper had been badly injured and even swimming to the island was difficult for the small woman. Now, Vepser's wounds had healed and her form towered over Kiara's own lupus body. Although arctic wolves were not the largest of the wolves, she had still been a little bigger than the coywolf. Now Kiara needed to crane her neck just to see Vesper's face.

"Oh, how good it is too see you again. I did not recognize you. You smell of pack now, and your taller than I remember. How have you been?" The arctic wolf beamed at Vesper. Kiara was afraid she would never see Vesper again and she was more than happy to be proven wrong.

<style type="text/css">
.kiaratree b {font-weight:bold; color:#dbe3ff; text-shadow:#0a273b 0px 0px 1px;}
.kiaratree {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#2a4c56; background-image:url(http://i54.tinypic.com/20js9j6.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #420503; padding: 470px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#60848f; line-height:16px; text-align:justify;}
.kiaratree .wordcount {color:#60848f; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:11px; font-weight:bold; border-top:1px dashed #dbe3ff; text-align:right; padding:0px 5px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 15px 15px 15px;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
every memory that I hold

Word Count → 327

The laughter erupting from the young wolf’s jaws surprised Vesper, who lowered her ears and blinked as the other leaped toward her. A small, delighted laugh of her own fled from her lips as Kiara planted friendly greeting kisses to her face, and she briefly ran her fingers through the other’s white fur, smirking now. She brushed away one of the feathers but decided that the rest weren’t worth the effort. Some of the shadows were chased away by her enthusiasm, though she still couldn’t fathom why the Ichikan wasn’t running away screaming by now.

The smirk faded then returned as a grin as she echoed ironically, “Yeah. Taller.” She shook her head and continued to stay crouched on the ground, trying to keep to the other’s level without taking precious minutes to change her shape. “I’ve been…” She rolled her shoulders in a shrug. “I’ve been okay. Got into another nasty fight after I headed back north, and—” She gestured at herself, masking the grief in her face with a more acidic expression. “The luperci virus transmits through mixed blood. A coyote clan found me and brought me in—Inferni—and I decided to stay with them.”

She frowned, venturing to ask the question that had been bothering her when Kiara hadn’t freaked out. “You’re not…mad…that I…?” She looked at herself again, bitterly, and absently picked at an old scab on her arm with a claw. What else had she expected to come of their quick friendship? Maybe she’d wanted to help another non-luperci out in this two-legged world—but she was useless now.

“How have you been? And Ichika-no-Hoen?” Vesper decided that changing the subject to a more pleasant one would help her mood. “I met your leader, I think—the funny-talking one. And I met X’yrin a few times. Do you think you’ll be okay with the cold when the winter comes?” She paused, cracked a grin. “Well, you’re an arctic wolf, but…”

<style>
</style>

[/html]
[html]

After 2 false starts I finally wrote something I happy about.

Word Count → 581

A happy whine escaped from the arctic wolf's lips as Vesper ran her fingers through Kiara's snowy coat. Kiara didn't care that she had lost her prey, or that feathers were sticking to her. Once again, Kiara and Vesper had stumbled upon one another and it was an occasion to be happy. The young wolf was not perturbed by Vesper's new appearance, as most of the members in Ichika were luperci. In fact, Kiara wasn't sure that there were any normal canines in the pack other than herself. Still, the change was a little unexpected and left Kiara curious as to how it came about.

Kiara listened to the coywolf's words while she inspected Vesper's new body. The fight that had caused Vesper to change had also given her new scars. "I can see you've been fighting. Your all banged up, although, I'd hate to see how you left the other guy. I've never seen you fight, but you seem like you would be good at it."

The news of Vepser joining a pack came more as a surprise to the she wolf than her transformation. However, her words were backed up by the lingering scent of a pack so Kiara was forced to acknowledge the truth. Saying that the coywolf disliked packs was an understatement. Vesper had repeatedly stated in their previous meeting that she did not like packs and seemed to regard them with disdain. "You, in a pack? Now that's a surprise. I've heard of Inferni, but I don't know much about them. Although, that pack is close to Ichika right? Perhaps we will be able to see each other more often." This idea made Kiara smile. Even though Sarain was not very old, Kiara could afford to take a trip to Inferni once and a while. The Ikusei could use a break.

Vesper's next comment confused Kaira greatly. To the alabaster woman, the answer was obvious. Yet Vesper seemed to be very worried and upset. Clearly, Vesper was not comfortable with the change and it bothered her greatly. "Of course I'm not mad. Why should I be. Your still you, even if you do walk on two legs. Although I doubt I would voluntarily infect myself, there is nothing wrong with being a luperci. Not to mention the advantages." The snow wolf cast a meaningful glance at the dead grouse. "You stole my kill you know." Kiara said in a joking manner.

"Oh, you met Razekiel. Told you he was funny. As for the Ichikan's, they are doing are well." Kiara was a little surprised that Vesper knew X'yrin. The golden nomad and Kiara would often meet yet X'yrin had not mentioned Vesper. Next time they met, she would have to bring it up. "X'yrin is strong, so you don't have to worry about her. As are the rest of the pack. Although, I am worried about the puppies and Shiloh. Shiloh is my friend and I am helping her to raise her new puppy. Shiloh is so thin, and she has very little fur. Not to mention Sarian. Plus another pack member just had her puppies.

I'll be fine, though my tail might be a little cold." Kiara turned around to show off the damage that had been done. Sarian was too enthusiastic for her own good, and would often chew on Kiara's tail. There were several bald patches marring Kiara's once perfect tail. Kiara couldn't help but whimper at the sight of her own appendage.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
every memory that I hold

Word Count → 747

Kiara mentioned that Vesper was probably good at fighting, and the tawny coywolf smirked bitterly before shaking her head. “It seems like I would be,” she said, a hint of her arrogance creeping through before she shook her head once more. “It was a two-on-one fight, against a luperci with a knife and her bodyguard. I left them with enough wounds to spill blood on me, but…” She rested her arms loosely on her knees. “I thought I could take on the world when I was a teenager. This place has shown me that there will always be someone better than me; I’ve had more than enough close calls. But I won’t give up until I can beat them, even if I join them in the meantime.” She flashed her teeth.

The hybrid meant every word that she said, however joking a tone she spoke in. Helotes had given her the first wounds Kiara had seen, and she hoped eventually to train alongside him. She wanted to best all of those who posed a threat and defend her life and the clan mates she respected—but each drop of blood was a lesson, and she needed to push aside some of her pride in order to recognize that. Soon—soon she would earn her arrogance again.

The white wolf seemed surprised that Ves was in a pack—and with good reason, if the former loner’s rants were anything to go by. Shrugging once more, she muttered, “Inferni is different—and I didn’t make my choice lightly. I respect the members there for their strength and their sense.” It had called to her, though not like the cliché tales of singing land and rising spirits. It would take a blind wolf not to be able to see how she fit in with the others—fierce, proud, with experience and skill to back up their stories.

Her almost adamant tone broke when the other mentioned them seeing each other, and she frowned. “I would love to see you on neutral territory between our packs, or perhaps even visit Ichika, but… It’s probably a good idea to stay away from Inferni’s borders. The others aren’t as friendly as I am.” Hiding her misgivings, she grinned sinisterly and ironically, teasing. She was supposedly a grouchy old hermit, and to say that Inferni was less fond of people as she was would hopefully be a powerful enough statement to make Kiara cautious. The last thing that Vesper wanted was for the pretty arctic wolf’s skull to end up on the border stakes.

Kiara explained that Vesper was still the same on two legs, and the coywolf frowned, quickly averting her sky blue eyes. She didn’t feel the same, though—not in body or personality. She had changed, screaming and fighting the change on the bloody floor of the patients’ room. She had joined a pack then, hadn’t she? She’d figured out that there was no going back, and instead she had thrown herself into the river to let the current take her.

But she only nodded, and glanced at the grouse with a chuckle. “Oh, you can have it,” she said quickly, pushing the plump dead bird at her friend. “I can catch something on my way back, and—well, it’s yours.” Hunting hadn’t been her main reason for venturing up the mountainside, anyway, and she could only guess that was what Kiara had wanted to do.

She nodded as Kiara mentioned the other Ichikans, frowning at mention of the young puppies that far north. “You could probably salvage some blankets from a human home somewhere,” she suggested. “I know some luperci wear cloaks and things to keep themselves warm.” She looked away, not sure how she could help out in this situation. Inferni was full of tough individuals, and even though she didn’t know her fellow clan mates that well, she could guess that many of the battle-scarred coyotes had braved tough winters before.

“It looks like a rat got hold of it,” Vesper remarked, her brows lifted as she saw the damage done to what looked like a beautiful white plume. “Oh, the puppy didn’t do this, did it?” This was why Vesper was hopeless around children—not that she had very much experience to go off of. All she knew was that her maternal instincts were absolutely zero. “Perhaps you should give it dead animals to play with, so it doesn’t chew your tail clean in half.” She grinned.

<style>
</style>

[/html]
[html]

How would you like to finish the thread?

Word Count → 338

Kiara listened happily to all of Vesper's explanations. The idea of Vesper being in pack was very funny to Kiara, and she couldn't help but laugh a little at her insistence that Inferni was different. "Hey you old hermit, what happened to living on that island?" Now the arctic wolf was just teasing Vesper. Kiara, unlike the coywolf, found no joy in fighting. But this did not stop the arctic wolf from teasing and tumbling with her pack mates. Although Vesper was not part of Ichika Kiara,still considered the coywolf a fine friend and therefore fair game.

Vesper's stern warning gave the alabaster woman a start. It was obvious by the coywolf's tone that Inferni was not as welcoming and open as Ichika. Kiara decided to file that information away, although chances are she would most likely forget about Vesper's stern words in a few days. Kiara was never one to fight, but the young wolf was prone to forgetting or ignoring danger. Her sister had often commented that Kiara's absent mindedness would get her killed one day. Perhaps her sister's words would one day prove true, although the snow wolf sincerely hoped this would not be the case.

It was surprising that Vesper would give up her kills so easily. Kiara had not meant it when she said that Vesper had stolen the bird from her. Yet here Vesper was, offering the bird to Kiara. "Are you sure? I was only joking when I said you stole the bird." The arctic wolf looked apprehensively between the dead bird and Vesper. She sorely wanted to take the grouse, yet the kill rightfully belonged to Vesper.

Vesper's rat and puppy comment made Kiara whine a little. Her precious tail, ruined. The arctic wolf's reply was filled with sarcasm. "A least I can kill a rat. Anyways, I would never let such things near my perfect tail. Perhaps I should just let Sarain play with the grouse. That way she can make a mess of it, rather than my tail."

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]
every memory that I hold

Word Count → 282 Oh, it's up to you. We can let the conversation wind down naturally or whatever you'd like to do. :3

Kiara brought up the hermit incident again, and Vesper chuckled, not minding the teasing—not quite aware of how ridiculous the choice seemed to the arctic wolf. She let out a soft sigh and tilted her head, softening her eyes up and pushing out her bottom lip. “If I was on that island, I’d never get to see you,” she whimpered, though her façade cracked at the last few words and she was laughing again. “Unless you wanted to swim every time you visited me. I mean, there’s only a mountain between us right now.” She grinned quickly.

The girl asked her if she was sure about the kill, and the hybrid shrugged casually. “Yeah, I don’t really need it. Not as much as you do, anyway.” Her words were light without any suggestion of a deeper motive behind them, but as a loner used to guarding her precious kills from the older wolves who’d frequently push the teen around for a meal—well, it was a grand gesture of friendship to give up the bird. She only gave food to those she felt deserved it or those she was obligated to help feed. Kiara was a friend, and a friend cheated out of a catch, even if she did decline that it had been stolen. Vesper was still somewhat guilty for taking advantage of her optime form to get it, anyway.

She nodded encouragement. “Lot of meat on it, for a bird,” she said. “You can let Sarian play with the wing or something—cover herself in feathers.” Her smirk grew gently teasing. “Cute pup,” she added, and with a chuckle she reached out to brush more down from Kiara’s shoulder.

<style>
</style>

[/html]
[html]

Kiara out. Sorry for the short post. You can do one more if you want. If not, pm me and I'll modify the post.

Word Count → 254

Gratitude flooded the alabaster wolf. The fact that Vesper had allowed Kiara to take the bird was astounding and she could not be any more grateful. The bird would be a hearty meal for Shiloh, Kiara, and even young Sarian. Also, Kiara would be sure to take Vesper's suggestion. If she could get Sarian to chew on the bird rather than her tail, it would be a welcome relief. Kiara laughed as Vesper brushed yet more feathers off of her coat. "Well, I can't let Sarian have all the fun. I'm sure the puppy will get the rest off."

Kiara stood up to lick her Vesper's muzzle. "Thank you so much. I owe you one. I have to get going, Sarian will be waking up soon. I will see you later Vesper. Perhaps we could go hunting sometime, or bother those stiffs in your pack. And your more than welcome to stop by and visit Ichika." Kiara picked up the grouse and with a swish of her tattered tail, the white wolf was off. Kiara returned home at a slow and steady pace. She needed to get the bird back to Shiloh, but was a little reluctant to leave her friend and the mountains. The arctic wolf did not feel right staying at the apartment complex. The buildings were difficult and confining. She truly missed living in the mountains and forests. At least now she had a good excuse for leaving the boarders more often. This would not be Kaira and Vesper's last meeting.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]