devil's in the details
[html]

Dated the 27th, I believe. North of Inferni.

I'm sorry for the crap quality of this post, but I'd stared at it for an hour and just wanted to get something put down. xD

She’d caught the rabbit at the very outskirts of Inferni territory, glancing quickly over her shoulder as she picked it back up in her mouth. What she was about to do was supposed to be covert, though anyone with a working nose (most canines) would be able to figure out what she was doing, anyway. Vesper was adamant that what she was doing was not treacherous, but something that would—in the long term—benefit the clan. The fact that she was offering this prey to an outsider had no bearing in her judgment—though it could have been her viewpoint as a former loner who was used to having full right to all she caught.

The coywolf shrugged away any worry and trotted along, heading past the skulls onto neutral territory. She ventured north for close to ten minutes before taking the time to transform into her optime form—the one she would be testing out today. She’d sparred already with Ezekiel and had practiced the equivalent of shadowboxing, but it would help her in the end to have as many teachers as possible. There was no single “right” way to fight, no matter what anyone claimed, and the tricks one taught her might help her against the other.

Picking up the rabbit in her paws, she wandered over to a stone in the grass and took a seat on it, blue eyes cast skyward in hopes of spotting her newest trainer’s owl.

<style type="text/css">
.vesbluecrack b {font-weight:bold; color:#485066; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#f0f2f6 0px 0px 1px;}
.vesbluecrack p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.vesbluecrack .ooc {font-size:10px; font-style:italic;}
.vesbluecrack {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#afbcd1; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/2w3ddac.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #f0f2f6; padding: 370px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#544e50; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... e_01-1.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right:5px; padding-top: 300px; ">

ooc: 270 words. .

A word of promise was not enough of a binding contract. True reliability was shown with action, as the woman had come to learn. Her own faults falling under the category of unreliable due to her inexcusable behavior. Her pride still smarted, her disposition not at all pleased with how she had conducted herself. One would have expected guilt, but there was no trace to be found. Only a heavy embarrassment tact with disappointment bore upon her shoulders leaving no room for her companion to perch.

He hung high in the cloud covered sky riding the brisk winds of the coming winter. Below his master remained in his sights, watching her form lumber deeper into the mountain façade, her limbs working rhythmically to scale formidable rock and stone to reach the promised place. In compliance with his role he scouted ahead with his piercing gaze penetrating the scare foliage to what resided below. A lightly colored hide caught his attention and with prey in his sights, he dove with predator swiftness leaving his master to her climb as he sought his prize; a weathered shoulder of a familiar presence.

Hearing the cry of his fall, the Nomad knew he had met with their appointment. That he had reached Vesper before her quickened the woman’s climb, no longer taking each stone carefully but in bounds til she loped over the subtle cliff on all fours, Optime form painfully scrunched to accommodate. “Suppose this makes me late,” she chuckled softly, exhaling an exhausted breath as she looked from companion to the other. “I hope I haven’t kept you waiting long my friend…”

[/html]
[html]

I love Oh Nameless Owl. xD

Sky-colored eyes picked out the owl’s silhouette against the heavens, though she was startled when the bird swooped down toward her. Defensively, Vesper tossed the rabbit down on the ground in case grabbing that was its intention; however, its feet reached out for her. She crushed the instinct meet the owl’s talons with her own, instead hunching and allowing the predatory avian to settle on her dark shoulders. She still growled in irritation at the new weight, knocked nearly off balance. No, she didn’t think she’d be able to deal with this. Bless poor X’yrin.

The bronze woman loped toward them once she spotted them, somehow managing to run on all fours in her normally bipedal shape. It made her seem like a lankier wolf than she was, an unnatural giant, though the strange and almost dangerous-looking illusion was gone once the Exultare woman halted and apologized for her tardiness.

“No, you’re not late,” Vesper assured her with a quick smile, which faded as she shrugged her shoulders violently to encourage the owl to leave her be. “I didn’t mind sitting here.” Awkwardly, she scooted forward on the rock then bent to pick up the limp shape of the rabbit. “I caught this for you. It isn’t much of a trade, but I figured you could use it anyway. How are things in Ichika?”

<style type="text/css">
.vesbluecrack b {font-weight:bold; color:#485066; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#f0f2f6 0px 0px 1px;}
.vesbluecrack {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#afbcd1; background-image:url(http://i52.tinypic.com/2w3ddac.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #f0f2f6; padding: 370px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#544e50; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
[html]
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... e_01-1.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat; background-position: top; padding-bottom: 5px; padding-left: 5px; padding-right:5px; padding-top: 300px; ">

ooc: 338 words. .

The owl was rather content on his new perch, despite how it tried and failed to shrug him off. His talons only clung more determinedly onto the shoulder, not grating through the flesh so much as he was keeping his ground. With each shake his wings would span to keep his balance nearly knocking the poor girl in the head as they unfurled. It was only his master came loping to them that he showed from sign of possibly letting go. His watchful eyes shown with avian amusement at her less their graceful advance. “You look silly,” he hooted softly, knowing now her ears were trained enough to pick up his speech. The annoyed growl in turn proved his assumption right and again he hooted with mirth, relinquishing his reluctant perch for a more familiar one as it made itself available.

As X’yrin rose she caught the bird on her shoulder still looking annoyed from his previous abandonment. A smarting comment was kept just on her lips but she hadn’t the energy to execute neither it nor the will. Her disposition was still less than pleasant for the moment, but it brightened seeing her friend’s smiling face and her offering. “You didn’t have to do that,” she muttered beneath her breath, tail tucking shyly between her thighs. “Seeing you use these techniques is payment enough for me.”

Truth be told, any time she could spend away from Ichika at the moment was a reward in its own way. She had no qualms with the pack as a whole, but the wound suffered by her own selfish act was still raw. Even the presence of her lover did little to subdue the pain the emotional pain… no matter how rigorously he tried. “But I appreciate your efforts,” she smiled, complimenting the woman’s thoughtfulness before her fragile smile faltered at the name of her pack. Hastily, she replied, “Everything is fine. I just needed a break from the work is all. Has everything faired will for you in your home?”

[/html]
[html]

Word Count: 513 -- Jammin' to that song
you sent me. x3

Vesper glared at the owl as it flew over to its companion. She wondered if there was some ulterior motive behind the attention it had paid the Tirones—whether to test her, befriend her, or more likely than anything, irritate the hell out of her. If it was the latter, it’d done well. She didn’t like the feeling of a predatory bird perched on her shoulders, the stories of pups being snatched away by eagles still fresh in her memories from her mother’s admonishments. Of course, as a child Ves hadn’t been afraid of any featherbrain, and she’d quickly gained the overconfidence to romp around just as Sparrow flinched at any shadow falling over her. Which one of them was wiser was still up in the air.

X’yrin seemed too shy or reluctant to take the gift, and Vesper grinned at her second remark. “You’re a rare breed indeed,” she teased, coal-tipped tail wagging now across the rock. There was no such thing as purity in motive anymore, though perhaps the Nomad culture was kinder than the ones that the young coywolf was used to fighting against. “Who knows—you might need the energy after our spar,” she added, clearly sarcastic and joking. If either one of them was going to break a metaphorical sweat from the combat, it would be the horribly untrained luperci rather than the skilled Exultare. Had they been on even ground—both four-legged—Vesper might have been able to put up a fight.

The rusty-gold wolf spoke a bit too quickly about her pack, which did not go unnoticed by Vesper. She arched a brow, bending the grazing fang mark across it, but did not push her. Nosy canines were something she couldn’t stand, and it would be hypocritical to bother her about it, even though she was concerned. She had other friends in Ichika no Ho-en besides X’yrin, after all.

“Everything seems fine in Inferni,” Vesper replied. She was no longer grinning; a smirk wavered politely on her lips at what she considered small talk. “Truth be told, I don’t interact with my clan mates as much as I should yet. I’m still new and trying to get the feel for everyone, though I respect those I’ve met so far.” She didn’t want to admit her discomfort around the strangers; while she was fine at meeting them one-on-one, those who hung around together were avoided carefully. Her old, solitary life could not be cast off so easily.

She sighed and pushed herself to her feet, stretching her arms briefly over her head then to the sides, feeling a satisfying pop from her shoulder. Her blue eyes scanned the area they were standing in—flat enough, nothing that would kill her if she lost her balance—then flashed a grin at her Nomad mentor. “I assume we start by trading blows?” she asked eagerly, already on her toes. That was how Ezekiel had taught her before moving onto verbal explanations, and she felt that it was the way that she learned best, throwing herself right into the fray.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

ooc: 350 words. Is there a point to this madness? You bet there is.

A rare breed. This would not be the first time the woman heard this comment ushered on her behalf. Usually it was spoken by those not used to her culture’s giving nature, or the few unwilling to believe that an emotional invocation carried the same merit as something substantial; physical. She listened with receptive ears to her companion’s talk of Inferni, relating to the situation she had found herself in. It was not long ago that the Nomad was in the coywolf’s position; residing just of the fringe of community and the wild, keeping to herself but not withholding completely. It was a testing time for certain, one in which she had faith the woman would prevail. She smiled fondly, reveling in her own comfortable silence before it was interrupted by the beginning of their lesson.

As Vesper rose from her seat the owl took flight allotting the female with freer movement now unhindered by his weight. X’yrin never fancied herself an instructor, but felt herself capable enough to provide what knowledge she could in their limited time. Rather than delve straight into exchanging blows, she took a moment to enlighten her pupil of the ways of the art she would teach.

“It is not enough to exchange blows,” she began, raising a clawed hand to comb back the bangs that covered her eyes. “You must have set in your mind what your goal is. You may not always be given the time to recall certain movements, but as long as you have in your mind what you are trying to achieve, your body will follow suit. Try this; focus only on getting behind me. Be it to escape of take me by surprise is irrelevant. You want only to get behind me.” Patiently, the woman clasped her hands behind her back while standing well balanced on the balls of her feet. She took no particular stance or gave any indication she would attempt to thwart her progress. She simply stood there, smiling as she always did, awaiting her pupil’s advance. “Once you do this, we can advance to blows.”

[/html]
[html]

Take this pebble from my hand.

Vesper was eager for this lesson, as was obvious by her tilted-forward posture and her pricked ears. When it came to sparring, her excitement was akin to that of a young cub playing pretend with its siblings. She hid her enthusiasm usually, or put a more arrogant spin on it than this bright-eyed display, but with X’yrin she felt that it didn’t matter how she behaved. She could be unashamed, of her enthusiasm and even of her failures.

But the Exultare brushed her hair back and spoke first, instructing her. As she had listened to her Aquila, Vesper listened to X’yrin. It seemed like it would be hard to simply trust her awkward new body, but she’d acted more or less on instinct with Ezekiel, and it had paid off. Overanalyzing would probably be her downfall sooner than lack of skill would.

When X’yrin gave her the task—getting behind her—Vesper expected the woman to adopt a battle stance, preparing to thwart her should she try. However, the Nomad only stood there and smiled.

The coyote hybrid flicked one ear uncertainly, a frown settling on her lips as she took a step back. There were several ways she could go about this, from simply rushing at her to working out a more complicated strategy. In the end, she chose something simple, walking around in an arc and giving the woman a wide berth, her blue eyes watchful. X’yrin would most likely turn and keep her front presented, but she wanted to explore just how difficult this was going to be.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

ooc: Hehe I know right!

Her instructions undoubtedly came off as odd, especially when their lesson was supposed to involve a more proactive route. But there was a reason for the madness, as it were, still kept concealed by a fond smile. She watched Vesper mull over her words, scrutinizing her form for a tell of something other; perhaps challenging.

Once her pupil made her step, so did the Exultare. She maintained the distance between them making neither advancement nor retreat, simply keeping to the exterior of their transparent circle, her front still facing her companion; crossing on limb gracefully over of the other. The serene smile played upon her lips slowly gave way to a mischievous grin as her tail stroked the air excitedly. “If you keep at it like this, we’ll be at it all day,” she warned, lifting a claw to gently tap her nose in thought. “How far will we get if you cannot trust your own body, I wonder…”

[/html]
[html]

As Vesper had suspected, her auburn-gold mentor only turned as she moved. It obviously wasn’t going to be this easy, unless she had a mind to lope around the entire mountain and double back—but that would waste precious time. She was considering a strategy when X’yrin teased her, tapping her nose and causing the coyote hybrid to growl. Ears low, she paused on the balls of her feet and glanced at the space to the left of the woman. She supposed she could simply rush past her, using combat if she had to despite the woman’s warning that trading blows would come after this particular lesson. After all, she was eager to see how X’yrin would stop her.

And so she ran. She was not as quick as in her lupus and secui forms, but she still retained some swiftness. The balance she’d been practicing hard for paid off as she sprinted toward the Exultare woman, teeth bared in a silent snarl as she rushed intently at the woman’s left—

Only to change direction, springing quickly to get past X’yrin’s right.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

ooc: XD I'm so sorry, I've always wanted to try this! Humor me!

“And now this is you thinking again,” she raised her tone, hoping to interrupt the hybrid’s train of thought. She could see the contemplation in her eyes, the judge of distance still left between them. It was the very same look she had shared with her Shepard countless times during their training. And just how he had persuaded her to use her instinct instead of thought, so did she struggle to do the same for her pupil. Had she been this difficult as well, she wondered.

Their little dance came to a pause; a flash of irritation crossed the female’s face raising the older woman’s brows with interest. Had she struck a nerve? Vesper was not still for much longer as she form darted across the distance. Her sights were trained on her form, committing each step to memory, watching for the shift in her direction. Yet it was not what she anticipated. She was genuinely surprised to see the sudden confident shift but did not let herself be overwhelmed by it. As Vesper darted for her right, the Nomad pivoted smoothly on the ball of her left foot, keeping her back just out of reach.

Then in a flash her right arm shot out, her heavy digits seeking to grab the head of her still calculating student. “Your only thought should be to get behind me,” she gently chided the other. “No other thought should cross your mind. Now do it.”

[/html]
[html]

Don't apologize; this is hysterical. xD

Vesper huffed at the woman’s insistence that she was thinking still. Yes, she was thinking—desiring to get behind her. She didn’t consider that the strategy rushing quickly through her mind would be considered overly thoughtful. The coywolf trusted that she could fight, but she also considered strategies and looked for weaknesses that might aid her. In this case, her strategy was a trick to get what she wanted.

However, even if her tactic might have surprised X’yrin, it did not end well for the hybrid. She could have slapped herself in the face for not considering how fast the Nomad’s reaction would be.

Her teacher took care of that for her.

Vesper snarled as a hand grabbed her head, and she looked up at the woman resentfully as she was told—once again—not to think about anything other than her goal. It was a childish resentfulness, one that burned out quickly as she shook her skull to free it, stepping back. The respect in her eyes was enough to cool the fire, and she leaped again, not even putting any grace into her movement this time. She simply threw herself blindly around the woman, doubting this would do anything that something planned couldn’t do.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

ooc:

They were getting somewhere at last, though it would have been more pleasant if grabbing a handful of matted mane wasn’t the catalyst for her. X’yrin would hear the irritation in the other’s voice and let out an amused growl of her own, letting her hand fall to her side once her student slipped free. No wonder her Shepard was always smiling through their lessons; this was absolutely entertaining!

Their eyes met briefly and the female’s maw split into a satisfied grin, at last seeing the vacant light of lacking thought; unreadable at last. Her assault lacked practiced grace, but it was a positive start. Through these motions however wild and unrefined would X’yrin be able to see the dormant potential in need of surface and polish. Following the motions of the assault, she attempted a counter with an attack of her own, sliding a foot toward to brace herself while thrusting her left arm forward aimed to take Vesper by the throat. Would her student be quick enough, she wondered, to take see the opportunity presented before her and follow through…

[/html]
[html]

Fail, Ves. Fail, shortest post ever.

Perhaps, in the back of her mind, Vesper had thought that this vain attempt would have been enough for her experienced mentor. Things were still not that easy, however, and the auburn-haired woman began to turn as she blindly jumped. In an instant, an umber-gloved paw flew out to grasp her by the neck, and the coywolf’s mind raced—no, that would imply there was thought. She only had time for a yip of surprise before her body reacted, one arm lashing out to block the hand while the rest of her body kept going, practically sliding in its attempt to get behind X’yrin.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

ooc: I kept playing that scene over again in my head and could NOT stop laughing XD Short posts all around!

To witness progress brought a smile to the woman’s face even if it was not her own. The movements were not seamless and could use detailing to make them smooth, but they were ‘attempted’ not by thought but by feel and that was enough to satisfy the mentor. Her pupil’s instincts were alive and well, still sharpened by the wet-stone of the wanderers’ life. She had feared she would need to chisel through the compressed heap domestication to free her potential, but was able to rejoice in knowing this was not the case.

Her grasping claws missed their mark and instead clasped air. She prepared to shift her stance, pivot in place and bring her bracing leg around, but it was too late. Accidently or otherwise, Vesper had succeed. The woman had to turn her head around to garnish her student with praise before the rest of her golden form followed the swift moment and stood righted itself. “See? That wasn’t too difficult, now was it?”

[/html]
[html]

xD bullet-time

Vesper had accomplished what she’d wanted to do—keep the hand from grabbing her as well as get behind her mentor as instructed. However, victory had come at a price: scraped knees from losing her balance as well as a scraped ego. She merely growled and shook her head as she stood, brushing dirt from her knees before turning to meet the amber eyes of the she-wolf. X’yrin appeared pleased with what she’d managed to do, even though Vesper felt a fool.

“It was more difficult than you know,” the tawny female replied, though she smirked at last and dipped her head. “But I see what I need to work on now. I need to trust myself and by body before I start planning the crazy stuff.”

Admitting this was hard as well, but at least now she knew the value behind the Nomad’s lesson. Still, she didn’t want to clumsily flail about this way in every fight, merely praying that she’d be able to execute a move. Perhaps with practice she wouldn’t have to think, wouldn’t even have to plan the tricks that flashed quickly to a mind otherwise focused on instinct.

“Do you have another task for me, master?” Vesper asked, grinning and bowing in an exaggerated fashion.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

ooc: 835 words.

The Nomad could only smile at her student’s reply, knowing all too well the difficulties presented by this less than simply task. She had once suffered the embarrassment herself while under the instruction of her Shepard, though with her stubborn mind, she was sure it took several more attempts than these to succeed. “You will be surprised what your body is capable of once you quiet the noise of your mind and give in to instinct. Your body knows how to fend for itself in any form; it just needs the opportunity to show its ability.” Gently she placed a hand upon her companion’s shoulder. “But this is a very good start, Vesper.”

Truly it was warming to witness success and such a light was motivating to continue on this desired path. As her arm fell from the girl’s shoulder, the nameless owl took it upon himself to once again settle on her shoulder hooting contently. The Nomad didn’t mind him in the slightest as her attention was devoted to sharing what she could with a mind so willing to accept it. X’yrin carefully lowered herself to her knees arranging her paws beneath her so that she remained upright while seated. She crossed her hands patiently in her lap then gestured with a nod for her pupil to do the same. She grew calm as she assumed the role of Shepard for the sake of enlightenment.

“There is not a task next,” she began, “but I would like to talk to you about this path you have begun. The Exultare are warriors of the Nomads. We were formed long before our forebears began the Endless Path, and still we remain having prevailed through the tests of time. Unlike the warriors of most other clans, we do not bare our teeth first, but our words instead hoping to pacify the situation before it comes to blows. However, if violence is truly the course to take, our goal is to suppress it. Our technique is based on transformation of negative energy into positive; take the offender’s attack and divert it into a suppressive hold. This is not easy to do and a single mistake against a refined opponent could result in fatal injury or death. Because of this risk, we are trained to ‘read’ the intentions of others. The body tells all, but the eyes never lie.” She raised a paw to her head, and tapped it lightly to inquire understanding.

“When it comes to naked aggression which cannot be reasoned with, we are advised to avoid them…” gradually the woman’s ears depressed against her skull, weighed by a burden carried by all those who bore the name Exultare. “However, if we cannot,” she inhaled deeply. “Our only thought is to kill them. We keep that single thought in our minds and trust that our abilities will see us through. I have witnessed impressive skill when one was driven to save themselves… but it was nothing in comparison to what one could do when their minds were consumed with the notion to kill. Everything else falls away… you are driven by the desire to have only yourself stand as victor. It is a thought we Exultare fear above all else, because it is the path that leads to becoming the Exultare Shepard, and so few have come back from it mentally sound. Above all else, Vesper, I caution that you do not become consumed by that thought and if so, do not surrender to its allure. Remember that you are a dangerous creature and will be made more so through these teachings. Your mind will be trained above all else for without control over that, any modification to your body is useless. You will learn to suppress anger and silence unnecessary thought while in combat, so that if you do stray down that treacherous path, it will be that less difficult to bring you back to a sound state of mind. You will be molded into an oppressor of the darkened heart and with time, we will touch upon your strength brought on by rage and madness… and that too you will learn to control making you ready should you be damned to face an attack on your life.”

Her eyes showed bright with experience having had this conversation with her Shepard seasons before. But while she offered this girl a choice in her path, there hadn’t been an option for her. She was thrust into this world with only these words of warning before hand. There was not a way out of any of the trials. Even failure was not an escape. “Is this something you are truly ready for, Vesper?” Her ears drew forward attentively, receptive to either the acceptance or rejection of this path presented before her. If the Nomad’s words had any sway, she would have confessed that the training was worth it in the end, but such rewards were better left to be discovered. Patiently, the Nomad and owl sat awaiting reply.

[/html]
[html]

344 words

Vesper knelt in front of her mentor and pricked her ears when she realized that a lesson was coming. She was not a student used to theorizing and learning through speech, but the Exultare way of combat seemed to rely on these concepts such as instinctual trust. She knew that she would have to listen carefully in order to fully embrace X’yrin’s culture and way of fighting as well as adapt it to her own.

The older woman first spoke of trying to pacify an opponent before resorting to violence, and that was an easy enough concept to understand. She went on to explain the technique of changing energy, which made the Tirones frown though after a moment she mimicked the head-tapping. Rather than actively attacking the opponent, one could read their movements ahead of time and suppress the enemy’s aggressive actions.

When X’yrin spoke of killing, Vesper’s mind flashed again to the lesson that Ezekiel had imparted on her—always assuming that the other was fighting to kill. It made more sense to the hybrid now more than ever, and she listened with a contemplative frown and thoughtfully narrowed eyes. It seemed like the instinct to kill was both blessing and curse, a way to eliminate threats yet something that could consume the warrior.

She straightened slightly and nodded at her friend’s admonishment, listening carefully. She had killed before—had hated it, hated the look in the fool’s eyes as his life drained away—but she wasn’t sure what the ability to kill again readily would do to her. With X’yrin helping her condition her mind, it wouldn’t be a problem. It would help her keep a level head in other ways, too, she knew—tame the flames running under the ice that was her composure.

X’yrin asked her if she was ready for such an undertaking, and Vesper took in a deep silent breath, meeting her friend and mentor’s amber eyes. “To be able to control my mind like that… It is something I want—something I need. I’m ready for anything.”

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

ooc: 384 words. Slight PP, let me know if you'd like me to change it.

She was encouraged by her student’s keenness to her words. Adapting her searching eyes to the smaller female’s form, she looked for signs of distress upon her face… perhaps an inkling of doubt that would cross her eyes or the darkened shroud of disappointment upon her brow. Her words were by no means an attempt to dampen the girl’s resolve, more so they were meant to thoroughly explain what she would find for herself and the dangers within. However the Nomad was pleased not to see a darkness cloud her eyes, but a determined light. Even as her brows furrowed at the Exultare’s spoken words it was not of disdain but of contemplation. The gesture of understanding was well received and brought relief to the golden female.

Well, if Vesper truly understood then there was no reason to doubt this progress.
“Then there is no reason not to begin,” she affirmed with a gentle smile. Smoothly, the woman brought herself to stand by strength of her legs alone and gestured for her student to rise as well. There was little need to ponder on what to teach first. As her Shepard had done for her, so would she do for Vesper, leading her through the same lessons and techniques however absurd and mind-numbingly drawl. She had full confidence that the end result would be what he companion strove for and she would be better for it, her potential refined with a mind free of distraction. The day when she could look upon such a face of confidence would be a rewarding day for them both. She was certain of it.

“Vesper we will begin by training your mind. Not unlike meditation or goal is to relinquish the unnecessary thought and leave you only with a single notion. For the time being we will begin with defending.” Swiftly an opened hand shot out to grab the smaller female’s muzzle leaving little time for thought of retaliation. It was again meant to open that latent instinct so that her pupil could take from it as she willed. “In your mind should be only one task; defend yourself. Defend against me. Do not think of an attack, move instead. Trust that you WILL keep yourself from harm… or my claws WILL tear through you. Now... Protect yourself!”

[/html]
[html]

Vesper rose as her mentor did, her limbs shaking lightly from the position they had been bent in, though after a moment she stood as strong as X’yrin did. She looked forward to this, to training her mind as well as her body in the art of combat. These lessons were ones that would benefit her in her four-legged forms as well, if only in concept. While she moved more confidently and instinctually in the shape she had been born, there was always room for improvement.

The golden woman spoke of defense, and before the hybrid could nod, her muzzle was grabbed. Panic flashed through her like lightning as she remembered teeth buried in her skin, a muscular neck heaving her off her feet, throwing her down to the ground. The rest of her mentor’s words were almost background noise compared to the thumping of her heart and the growl that shot muffled from her tightly clenched teeth.

Getting away, getting free was her only thought as X’y wished, though fear drove her actions as much as obedience to what the Exultare suggested. She jerked her head back in attempt to free herself, arms moving to strike against the other’s to knock her grasp loose. Other than that, she did not respond offensively; she was merely trying to get free and step backwards.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

ooc:

Fear had never been shown on her half before and it unnerved the female for a moment. Her eyes grew wide from such naked emotion yet her mind remained where it should; in the moment conducting a much needed lesson.

Fear was too easy an emotion to succumb to. It rendered one’s actions more erratic than thoughtlessness and made them more vulnerable to attack especially to one with intent to kill. The Nomad’s lips peeled back whilst baring her fangs into the girl’s face hoping to bring her back to the present. “Stifle your fear…” her soft voice now raised with command. The coywolf had jerked herself from her grasp but that moment was freedom X’yrin attempted to keep short-lived. A pause was a luxury to be earned once this lesson was complete; and they had only just gotten started.

Again she shot out for the girl, the entirety of her form following through the direction of attack. She attempted a skewer with her left arm aimed to tear through her shoulder if it was not evaded. All thought was erased as her mind succumbed to a single, yet complicated notion. It was not without her own brand of difficulty she sought to make this notion come true without a fatal blow, but it was contingent upon her pupil and her trust in her instincts whether or not the Shepard’s goal was achieved;

Wound her.

[/html]