shadows in the dark
[html]
OOC: fwee first non joining post for Columbine <3. I am also criminally stupid. Dx / 378

He moved quietly, like a shadow melting over a night covered rock. Despite his enormous size, the male made little noise on the last of autumn's crunching leaves; long ago, Columbine Lykoi learned the importance of stealth and laying low. In the dark of this November night only the male's bright fiery eyes shone like beacons; otherwise, he was quite concealed. Although he was rather assured of his solitude, the towering male held himself stiffly, acutely aware that an enemy could present itself at any moment. He prowled the borders, much like his brother Helotes might have been doing when the siblings first came across each other at the gateway to Inferni, waiting in great anticipation of anyone who might try and infiltrate his new homeland.

Though he was acting as a guard, it would have been incorrect to assume Columbine had miraculously acquired some sort of devotion to his new clan. His heart remained as cold as ever; his mind remained ever emotionless and calculating. Already, the Lykoi man was devising ways to rise through the ranks as quickly as possible. So much of his life had been spent as the subordinate, as the victim - try as he might, Columbine could not forget the harsh treatment bestowed upon him by his mad father. He was consistently reminded of his inadequacy every time he moved too quickly and the scar on his back troubled him briefly or he spared a glance to where his Lykoi tattoo ought to be. Remnants of the mark could still be seen, but it was imperfect, tattered; much like Columbine himself, despite the intimidating aura he possessed.

Columbine kept the skulls in sight, moving mechanically and slowly. There was not much light in the sky, and it would be easy to miss the large hybrid. On occasion, though, his intense concentration on being entirely silent would slip and he would step on the wrong stick, sending a resounding CRACK through the darkness. Each time, he was more and more disgusted with himself; the male, though he would not admit it to anyone and barely would to himself, had more work to do before he would be a proficient warrior (and perhaps more, he thought in his jaded and proud mind) of Inferni.

<style type="text/css">
.coluly b {font-weight:bold; color:#962d2d; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #0e0101; }
.coluly p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.coluly {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#532524; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/6DIsk.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 305px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#815041; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
.coluly p b:before { content: open-quote; }
.coluly p b:after {content: close-quote; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count :: 465
Tried several times to start a thread for you then gave up and joined this. :|

In her dreams, she bled.

Teeth ripped at her tawny fur from all sides, spilling crimson life out onto the earth. She whirled with lips wrinkled back and ears flattened, but the dark figure was always quicker than her, leaping at her bleeding hips. Her paws slipped on wet autumn leaves, causing her to lose balance and strike her chin on the ground. The jaws found her ear, tearing it, fangs scraping across her brow. She was thrown onto her back, thrashing her legs to keep them from tearing into her stomach.

Her father grinned his sneering grin. It was then that he’d speak to her, mocking her, asking her if she wanted to stand up for her sister again. Sparrow would meet her eyes timidly from the bush, too much of a coward as always to step in. She remembered Marcel’s slurred voice beckoning to the girl, his jaws tugging her scruff as they walked away. Those were her memories.

In her dreams, she died.

This time, however, Marcel changed when he lunged for her throat. His fur flashed to a lighter shade of grey, his eyes burning from orange to flame, transitioning through bronze. Vesper gasped for air when the jaws pressed her windpipe, knowing now how the coyote boy had felt dying in her jaws. Her paws scrabbled weakly in the leaves, and the last thing she saw were the eyes.

Vesper flipped over onto her stomach when she woke, startled not so much by the familiar death so much as the sight of earth surrounding her. She caught her breath when she realized she was in a burrow, not a grave, and with a flicker of disgust, she stood and shook out her coat, slipping out of the den into the fresh night air.

I really need to find a permanent place to sleep, she reflected, flattening her ears when she spooked at the sound of a cracking twig in the night. Her first thought that it was a deer, but then she remembered her close proximity to the borders and trotted uncertainly in that direction. There was a scent on the wind—something familiar enough to give her pause, yet with a darker edge to it, one that made her mind flash back to the dream and her heartbeat to race.

With as much stealth as any coyote could muster, she crept through the undergrowth, her tail low to avoid sweeping against the bare branches of a bush. Pupils dilated, she looked around, frozen until she saw a mass stepping through the darkness.

Vesper caught sight of that dusty color, those eyes like flame, the melded manifestation of her nightmares. Ears pinned tight against her slender skull, she remained crouched on all fours, at last letting out a quick snarl.

Image courtesy of venomxbaby@deviantart; Table by the Mentors!

<style>
.K22911_Ves2 .ooc {font-size:12px; font-style:italic;}
.K22911_Ves2 p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.K22911_Ves2 b {font-family:verdana; color:#485776; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.K22911_Ves2 {background-color:#232631; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #171a22; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5717/vespertab.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:306px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; border-radius:8px; } .K22911_Ves2-border {width:502px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:8px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC: Big Grin / 306

The borders had so far proved uneventful. Columbine grumbled loudly under his breath as he continued his rather fruitless journey over the night-hidden lands, utterly bored and frustrated with the lack of excitement he'd so far encountered. The dusty male was just itching for a way to prove his worth, for a way to begin his ascension. To his utter irritation, there were no loners seeking entrance into Inferni tonight. Instead, it was just the shadows and him. The darkness hid his secrets and scars well; Columbine could appreciate that. Since he left his family after the fight with Jacinto, Columbine had become a nocturnal creature. He preferred the silence and secrecy of the night; it gave him a sense of empowerment.

As he strolled, a growl interrupted his thoughts and the male whirled towards its source, a threatening snarl across his lips. His fiery eyes studied his surroundings until he fell upon a female on her four paws. She was scarred and rather unbecoming; Columbine was a man of fine, undamaged taste: she would not do. It was rather hypocritical, but he saw her scars as a weakness. She was so tattered, so not put together (nothing like his sister), that it was all he could do to choke back a derogatory snort. Instead, he chose his words carefully, though they were laced with dangerous venom. It does not do for a member of Inferni to slink through the night like a coward, he hissed, eyes like burning embers. You appear weak.

But Columbine knew it would also not do for him to antagonize anyone in particular. Tilting his head to the right slightly, the male peered at her, and when he spoke it was in slightly gentler tones. Who are you? he asked. The female smelled of Inferni, and he did not question her allegiances.

<style type="text/css">
.coluly b {font-weight:bold; color:#962d2d; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #0e0101; }
.coluly {margin:0 auto; width:450px; background-color:#532524; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/6DIsk.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #0b052c; padding: 305px 0px 7px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#815041; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13.3px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count :: 300+

The male swung around with lips twisted in a snarl. Vesper relaxed only when he met her eyes and showed no signs of attacking; when he spoke, it proved he was no shadowbeast from her dream—even if he could have easily slipped from it out into the real world. He looked so frighteningly like a twisted, scarred, angry version of Helotes that she remained suspicious, though her fur lay flat and her ears tilted forward to catch his words.

“There is a difference between caution and cowardice,” the tawny coywolf replied without pause, her tone smooth and aloof, “and you don’t know enough about me to judge me. You also smell too new to know much about Inferni, for that matter; your scent is why I acted as I did.”

The lie dropped easily from her lips, hiding the moment of weakness that he had been right about, though she didn’t think of herself as weak at all. Her words were logical and calm. She could feel her mind, shaken after that dream, piece slowly back together and restore her composure for her. Her light blue eyes scanned the male, or what she could see of him by the starlight; she could tell that he was large and muscular, and dark like Helotes if perhaps overall darker, and his face at least showed evidence of heavy scarring. She could only wonder if that would pertain to the rest of his body, hidden in shadow.

He asked her who she was, and tersely she stated, “Vesper.” It wasn’t as if he was asking her life’s story, or why she was here—though she would have been somewhat ashamed to answer that a nightmare had driven her to restless paranoia. She frowned then turned the question onto him: “And you? Although I have a guess who you’re related to.”

<style>
.K22911_Ves2 b {font-family:verdana; color:#485776; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.K22911_Ves2 {background-color:#232631; font-family: verdana, serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #171a22; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/5717/vespertab.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:306px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; border-radius:8px; } .K22911_Ves2-border {width:502px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0 auto; border-radius:8px;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC: Sorry he's such a jerk Dx / 356

Columbine did not appreciate the tone the female adopted with him, aloof and lofty as it was. His crimson eyes narrowed in distaste, and his tail flicked behind him in moderate irritation. I do not need to know you to assess your methods of approach, the male sneered, giving a look of endless disdain to the significantly smaller female. Regardless of how new I am to Inferni, the scent alone should be enough to comfort you that I am not a danger to you. It was not a lie, necessarily. Columbine, in his own exalted opinion, was a danger to the little female. From his vantage point, eliminating the girl - should he choose to do so - would be nothing more than an irksome task.

And yet he had no desire to do so. Coldhearted as the male was, he was not one for wanton killing or attacks; what good would it do, anyway? This female, packmate though she was, meant nothing to him, though he did see her as a potential weakness to Inferni. In his mind, he was formulating all sorts of scenarios in which she proved herself a liability and he, the exalted guard of Inferni, made the decision on her fate. Such power, such responsibility: the idea was like a drug to the shadowy male. His face, though, betrayed no such fantasy. Columbine's expression remained impassive and slightly detached.

She asked his name after she gave hers - Vesper, with no surname attached. He furrowed his brows and wondered for a moment if they might be related; his lineage was prominent in Inferni, though he doubted it. Columbine Lykoi, he stated simply, voice rather neutral. And I assume you are referring to my brothers, Helotes and Jacinto Lykoi, who live here as well. Then again, I am related to much of the clan. Columbine gave her a little smile, though it was chilling and strange in nature; such expressions did not suit the male's intimidating presence. It came across, essentially, as more of a sneer. What are you doing at the borders so late, Vesper? You appear to have no purpose.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count :: 480

Haha don't apologize xD

The muscular male sneered at her, and had she been any younger or more foolish than she was, Vesper might have leaped at him in an attempt to wipe that disgusted look off his face. Certainly that would have gotten her killed, however, and she was no longer a cocky yearling without responsibility. Instead, she listened calmly to his cold speech. He looked at her and saw weakness—and, underneath her unruffled façade, that bothered her.

Outwardly, she only broke a smirk and tilted her head more to look almost lazily at his scarred face. “You must forgive me for not trusting every unfamiliar face I see skulking through the shadows. It isn’t unheard of for spies or troublemakers to hang around pack lands long enough to gain a hint of their smell—but that couldn’t possibly happen with such upstanding citizens like you keeping a look out, could it?” Her tone became unexpectedly feminine and wheedling, a disgusted parody of a tone that she did not naturally have; feminine was not the first adjective one would have for the scarred woman.

The Lykoi surname brought recognition to her patchwork features, and Vesper gave the slightest nod of acknowledgment. It was a heritage almost exclusive to Inferni—most blood coming from an individual named Kaena, if Ves was right in what she’d heard from clan mates. And the additional names only confirmed his place in the clan, though she had not heard the name of Helotes’s other brother. She could only assume Jacinto was as shady as the others, though.

“I am acquainted with Helotes,” she said—perhaps more acquainted than she would have liked. She kept her tone as neutral as she could, however, not wanting to hint at any strain between her and the other dusty Lykoi man.

The coywolf’s muzzle wrinkled slightly at his last statement, not oblivious to the fact that it was a vague one. He hadn’t said purpose “here” or “at the borders,” which might imply he thought she had no purpose existing at all—something that disgusted her. As much as Vesper was capable of hate, she was not coldblooded or cruel enough to spit upon the existence of another being until they proved themselves irredeemable. She was no romantic, but she was decent.

She made no comment on that, however, instead answering his question. “I have survived as a loner for most of my life, and so I’m still used to sleeping alone. I was resting nearby until you woke me with your racket, and it was only responsible to come see what was happening.” Her voice was quiet and neutral, though she hoped that her remark was barbed to the apparently superior-minded male. In reality, fright had woken her, and she wasn’t sure if he had caused the crackling twigs, but hopefully the statement would at least give him some pause.

<style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC: (: / 441

The scarred man could not help but develop a distaste for the sassy woman before him. She had thus far been extraordinarily disrespectful and irritating, an unwanted plague on his otherwise purposeful nocturnal wanderings. Bright umber eyes darted back and forth as she spoke, keeping an eye on the skulls; though he heard no sounds and smelled no scents, Columbine could not be sure there were no potential intruders. Inferni was close to other packs, and the male would not hesitate to use force to remove any wandering wolves. If he were being honest, he relished the idea. Regardless, he attempted to focus on her, though he made no efforts to conceal his restlessness. This Vesper woman, clan-mate though she may be, held no glory in his eyes, no particular reason to be polite.

Her sickly sweet tone and blatant sarcasm irritated the Lykoi male, and another snarl rose momentarily on his lips before it was quieted. Still, Columbine would not attack a member of Inferni without intense provocation, and while this woman was a thorn in his purposeful side - a big thorn, one with lots of extremely uncomfortable spikes - she was nothing more than that. He would allow her the conversation; he assumed, being out of bed and away from the rest of the clan, that she must be troubled. Such an assumption was lofty and unfounded - she had given no indicator of such - but merely drawn upon his own proud conclusions. Inferni is lucky to have my brothers and me, the male remarked, a response to both her knowledge of Helotes and the sass she exhibited earlier. Whether or not it was true in Columbine's mind, however, was a different story. Where he might once have held love for Helotes and Jacinto, there was now a blackened mass of destruction known as his heart.

A smirk slid across his face again when she mentioned his racket, and a single brow was raised. Oh really? the male inquired, a mirthless chuckle escaping. Yes, I can imagine a single crack from a stick is loud enough to wake the types of you. With such sharp ears and light sleeping, Inferni shall be eternally safe. Columbine jabbed at her earlier remark that he was an "upstanding citizen", attempting to turn it around on her. But the male was quickly growing weary of simply standing, and his darting eyes revealed that. I am going to continue my patrol. You are welcome to accompany me or not; it does not matter. He gave her a pointed look. It is unwise to leave borders, even those as blatant as ours, unpatrolled.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count :: 369

Vesper was hypocritical. She enjoyed seeing the flaws in others flare up, even though she shared many of those flaws. His anger and annoyance at her presence was her current source of amusement, although she kept this mirth muted behind impassive if sarcastically narrowed blue eyes. It was a defense mechanism more than anything, hiding her fears by being as snarky as possible—though, had it not been so dark out, one could see her muscles tensed every time he snarled.

Her lip curled in a smirk as he stated how lucky the clan was. Perhaps they would be good warriors; this man’s sheer bulk and his brother’s skill in fighting were indicators of that. However, she hadn’t become a part of Inferni in hopes of joining a violent-minded army, and while she could tolerate those with slightly more vicious mindsets as long as they weren’t directed at her, she mainly wanted to be left alone or quietly enjoy moments with comrades.

“Very lucky,” Vesper muttered, not caring if he heard her or didn’t. She didn’t want to provoke him into physical violence, but his lofty statement was uncalled for. As arrogant as the she-yote was—acknowledged she was—she didn’t believe that she was blessing the clan with her presence. Her pride was internalized; she knew she was great, but whether or not others considered her worthy was not up for her to decide.

His attempted jab didn’t bother her. “Trained myself to keep my eyes open while I sleep, too,” the scrawny hybrid said, the statement more teasing and sarcastic than anything. “A loner has to stay vigilant. I’m not going to abandon that lifestyle just because I have the big Lykoi siblings to protect me.” She flicked her tail dismissively then frowned at his statement.

“I don’t think I’ll be getting to sleep anytime soon,” Vesper murmured, though this time her words were honest rather than mocking. “Four eyes are better than two. I’ll join you for a while.”

Patrolling would hopefully help her standing in the clan, as well. Remembering how she had been found at the border stakes, bleeding and helpless, she wanted to lend a paw in watching them.

“Lead the way, Columbine.”

<style>
[/html]
[html]
OOC: D: So sorry for the delay! I've had no muse for Col over here. I promise we can wrap this up soon, or I have an idea for a direction we could take it in, so if you'd like to continue just let me know and I'll PM ya Big Grin / 382

The haughty male had already begun moving along again, rather indifferent to the irksome new presence of this female - this Vesper. He found her name awfully common and coarse; it was clear she was not from such fine breeding as himself. Had he not been so preoccupied with keeping a flat, vacant look on his face (that, after all, was infinitely more intimidating), Columbine would have had a permanent smirk across his dark lips. She had spoken, but the shadowy male remained silent; he was, of course, perpetually poised to come across a wandering loner. It was not something he would readily admit, but Columbine had found himself rather fond of the killing of canines. Wolves, coyotes, dogs, hybrids - it didn't matter to him anymore. The rush of pure, blind power was enough.

He was not, of course, about to attack Vesper. She was a clan member, and he would not disgrace Inferni with such insolence when the female had done nothing to threaten him or anything else. Above all else, Columbine respected the idea of what Inferni should be - whether or not it lived up to his expectations remained to be seen. The coyotes appeared to do well for themselves, and has he had not seen any particular problems since he arrived, Columbine confidently assumed it meant the other packs in the area were fearful of them. And that is not surprising, considering the tacky choice of decor, the male thought to himself, scuffing momentarily at the dirt.

It was then that Columbine remembered the female with him, and he turned to look at her. It was rather unpleasant on his neck, as he was forced to look down at her, as she had chosen to travel on four legs. So.... he began, rather uncomfortable with small talk and conversation. Then again, Columbine absolutely knew he would not be able to get anywhere in Inferni if the other members did not respect him. How long have you been here? What is your purpose in Inferni? If the male were more talented at social situations, he would realize it sounded like an interrogation; it was not his intention. Columbine might not have had genuine friendship in his interests - he never would, and never did - but respect...That was key.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Word Count SSWM :: 351

A large dark head turned toward her, those shadowy ember eyes settling on her from their respectable height. She knew that he had to look down a considerable angle in order to meet her gaze, but there was no way that she was going to shift shape around this male. The change to secui would be as far as she took it—but she would not abandon four comfortable paws for her spindly, unbalanced two-legged form. Despite the training she received, she wasn’t going to take her chances. If she was ambushed caught in her optime form for some reason, she needed the training so she wouldn’t die, but she would rather fight how she was born. That was the only way she felt strong and capable, once untouchable.

The one-syllable word alighted on her large brown-rimmed ears, and her blue eyes flicked up to him as he trailed away. Vesper was fine with silence, having been a loner for most of her life, but she wasn’t going to say no to civil conversation until he started mocking her again.

“I’ve been here little longer than you,” the cream-tawny female replied to the first question. Her statement both admitted that she didn’t have a particularly strong or long standing in the pack but also pointed out that she was his senior when it came to membership. All in innocence, of course—but little subtle clues might teach him to respect her more than he had been. “My purpose is what Ezekiel wants of me for now. Loyalty. An able body to fight.” She narrowed her eyes, but it was more of a squint than a glare as she walked, glancing to the darkness. The familiar vigilance didn’t make her seem as paranoid as before, only watchful, as she fell into the routine of walking along the borders. “Eventually, I want to become a scout. As much as I love the thrill of a fight, I would be better suited to the border patrols. It might mean I still get to kick some ass, anyway.” Her teeth flashed in a small smirk.

<style>
[/html]