Landslide (P. Vesper)
Dated: December 2, 2011

The crisp morning found Indira retracing her steps to the mountainside borders of Ichika no Ho-en. She was not going to leave her new home quite yet, but she wanted to learn more about it. And what better way to do that than to start at the beginning? Indira had made her way to this new homeland through the mountains, and that terrain was absolutely foreign to her. She had only experienced it on her way here. She thought that she would return near the point where she had encountered Jace Wolfe, the mixed-breed hybrid who had helped place her in the pack, and then she would find her way back into the deep recesses of Ichika.

The medium gray coywolf let her sense of small guide her back to her place of origin. As she had arrived her, she had chosen to travel in her four-legged lupine form. It was more natural for her to let her senses guide her while in this form. She did not favor one over the other really, but for today she decided that she wanted this “natural” experience as she explored. The grays and tans in her pelt were apparent as the wintry sun shined down, separating them from the medium gray they usually blurred into in other light.

Indira’s paws fell on the ground audibly. She was not moving with predatory grace, as she would on a hunt, and she did not make her presence a secret to anyone who might be around. She approached the world like an open book, ready to experience and to be experienced by those around her. Isn’t that was Ichika was all about in the first place? Her new home had a philosophy that encouraged others to work together toward a common good. She didn’t want to be closed off from that.

Words: 306, 3+
[html]

WC: 357 Yaaay! Ves is in lupus form also.

Vesper was in high spirits today. She did not have a skip in her step or a smile on her face, but anyone who knew her well could see that she was at peace. There was lightness to her lean, compact body that was not normally there, and the content neutrality of her expression took no heed of the scars across her muzzle and brow. She stepped like a whole canine rather than one burdened with the tension of caution and darker thoughts—as that was how life had been lately, with her nonconsensual transformation and the additions to the coyote clan ranks.

But perhaps that was because life had taken a brighter turn as well, at least as far as the pack in the north was concerned. In a short span of time the hybrid had reunited with both Ichikan friends, X’yrin the Exultare Nomad and her sparring mentor, and the bright-spirited and young non-luperci Kiara. They had not been ashamed of her change, both physically and mentally, and had accepted her with opened arms (or simply an opened heart in the case of the arctic wolf). Though Ves might have looked down upon the peaceful pack for childish ideals, she could appreciate the individual characters it helped craft, and so that was why she was headed toward Ichika no Ho-en today.

The tawny coywolf had never set foot near the pack’s boundaries before, so she had little actual idea as to where it was located. However, in her roaming to the northern area of the mountain range, she soon gained a whiff of heavy wolf scent that meant borders. Tail wagging behind her in more of a nervous motion than anything, the Vigiles loped toward the borders with ears pricked and eyes scanning the area. She was contemplating how she should call attention to herself when she noticed a shape moving along the borders on the Ichikan side—a grey canine, a female hybrid by her scent.

Vesper lowered her ears uncertainly then stepped out from the bushes where she’d been waiting, letting out a soft yip to let the other know she was there.

<style type="text/css">
.biggerscars b {font-weight:bold; color:#1a212a; }
.biggerscars t {font-style:italic; color:#1a212a;}
.biggerscars .ooc {padding:10px; font-size:10px; font-family:verdana; text-align:right; line-height:15px;}
.biggerscars p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px; font-size:12px;}
.biggerscars {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#4c5661; background-image:url(http://i41.tinypic.com/vmrebt.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:10px; padding: 475px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; color:#899194; line-height:20px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
A soft yip accompanied an unfamiliar scent that did not blend in to the group scent that Indira was coming to associate with her new home. The mixed heritage female that revealed herself was not Ichikan, according to the scent emanating from her. She noticed the hybrid’s flicked back ears and was surprised to note appropriate border protocol. It seemed so strange to see behavior that would have mirrored her own during her border interview with Jace Wolfe. It took a minute for Indira to fully process that Ichika no-Hoen was indeed her home, and that outsiders, if they were not intruding, would react like this if they were following decorum.

With a canine grin, Indira approached with a welcoming ease. This coyote hybrid did not seem to be posing any sort of threat to the borders. Instead, she seemed to be an explorer, much like Indira herself. The medium gray coywolf stopped a few feet from the stranger who had emerged from the brush, a look of curious, cautious eagerness to know more about her spreading across her features. Her pale blue eyes took note of the stranger’s equally blue and pale gaze. “You remind me of my sister,” Indira intoned, making note of the physical similarities present between the two of them. Indira had taken after her unknown wolf father more than she had her coyote mother.

“My name is Indira Youroukelis, and this is Ichika no-Hoen. Are you looking for someone, or something?” she asked. She had never been formally part of a pack, but she remembered Jace’s protectiveness of the border lands. Indira was not part of the higher tiers of the Ichikan ranks, so she was not as strict in terms of her border behavior. She had a more open-ended attitude, and she was more cautiously optimistic.

Words: 302
[html]

WC: 254

Vesper stood quietly as she waited for the scouting coywolf to notice her. She wasn’t sure if this creature would be one with rank to greet newcomers or welcome a visitor into pack lands, but she kept her posture polite just in case. She didn’t grovel—never groveled—but stood as respectful as would be expected from a member of a different pack.

Luckily, the hybrid walking toward her seemed friendly, though that probably wasn’t much of a long shot with the peaceful ideals of Ichika no Ho-en. Her fur, a blurred medium grey from a distance, sported timber shades of tawny and soot up close. Blue eyes a shade paler than Vesper’s looked the Vigiles over before the Ichikan made a comment.

Vesper broke a smirk, tilting her head. “Hmm… Did you like your sister?” She was a little uncomfortable reminding someone of someone else, as memories like that placed expectations upon her—either that she was someone warm and familial, or perhaps, if her sister was like Sparrow, someone to look down upon.

Her teasing over, she nodded at the introduction and question. “My name is Vesper. I’m from Inferni, but I traveled her to visit a couple of friends in this pack.” Her purpose trailed easily from her tongue before she paused. “X’yrin Exultare and Kiara Amarok—don’t know if you’ve met either of them?” She supposed now would be as good a time as ever to check if this coywolf, Indira, was very familiar with her pack or someone new.

<style type="text/css">
.biggerscars .ooc {padding:10px; font-size:10px; font-family:verdana; text-align:right; line-height:15px;}
.biggerscars p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px; font-size:12px;}
.biggerscars {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#4c5661; background-image:url(http://i41.tinypic.com/vmrebt.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; border-radius:10px; padding: 475px 0px 5px 0px; font-family:georgia; font-size:12px; color:#899194; line-height:20px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
The stranger’s witty, teasing response brought a smile to Indira’s slim muzzle. She cocked her head to the side as she thought about it, swiveling her ears. She thought of Divya, and the last time she had seen her. Divya took after their coyote mother much more than Indira, but the two sisters shared the peculiar shade of light blue irises that they had inherited from their mysterious wolf father. Before Indira had departed from her original home, her sister had asked her if she was crazy, directing the question to their brother, Iason, as well. Both Indira and Iason had departed from the coyote-driven clan to find new things. ”I love my sister, but “like” my be a bit of a stretch,” she said with a bit of a laugh.

Then, the coyote hybrid gave herself a name. Vesper. Indira liked it, although she did not say that aloud. That name reminded her of a story she had heard as a child. It might have been about the wind, or some constellation. Sadly, Indira could not keep her mother’s tales from her puphood straight in her head. But she had glad for the reminder. This was the first time she had really thought about home and the little family she had left behind, but it isn’t a sad kind of remembrance. It was good to remember where she came from.

”Inferni? Is that the coyote clan on the other side of the mountain?” Indira inquired. She remembered the scent vaguely from when she had crossed the mountainside herself. Indira shook her head when Vesper mentioned two unfamiliar names. She had yet to really acquaint herself with anyone from Ichika no-Hoen yet. ”I’m quite new,” she explained. ”I don’t think I can welcome you inside yet, but you’re welcome to walk along the mountainside with me and we can see if we can find them.”

Words: 315, 3+
[html]

WC: 323

Vesper smirked and nodded slightly at the other’s final remark on her sister, though she personally had no idea what a normal sibling relationship was like. The moment she began to find her own independence and Sparrow remained timid and constantly nestled close to her mother, any semblance of normal sisterhood was gone. Her sister was more like a parasite than a family member, and it would be a stretch for her to even say she’d loved Sparrow.

But these were heavy thoughts for a simple meeting, and the coywolf was careful not to let any of them surface as she maintained her lighthearted expression. She nodded once more as Indira asked about Inferni, pleased to see that she actually knew about it without making more remarks about how bloodthirsty the fire clan was. It was true that the group attracted coyotes of dark dispositions and good combat skills, but Vesper knew that few were the genocidal killers outsiders claimed them to be. She wouldn’t have tolerated staying with the clan if that were so, what with all the wolf friends she’d had and would have.

“That’s fine,” Vesper said as soon as Indira explained her place within Ichika. “It would be nice to just have a chat. I don’t want you to get in trouble with your superiors.” She wagged her tail lightly then came closer to the borders, wondering if the other hybrid would make the move to step outside of them or if they would have to maintain a balancing act with their stroll.

“Has the winter been hard on your pack? No trouble so far?” she asked, the question driven by sincere concern for how her friends were doing yet also by the nature of her rank. The main task of a Vigiles was to keep watch over Inferni’s borders, though Vesper also knew that her ability to keep an eye on the happenings would help the clan out.

<style type="text/css">
.biggerscars b {font-weight:bold; color:#1a212a;}
</style>[/html]
”I don’t think it’ll be that big of an issue. And even if it is…” Indira shrugged with a roll of her shoulders. She did not want to disrespect any of the leaders in her new pack, but she had yet to really meet them anyway, so it would not matter. Similarly, she did not think that she would care to explain an innocuous situation such as this if someone were to become angry. As far as Indira was concerned, accepting her into Ichika in the first place had required some amount of trust, and so she doubted that anyone in the pack would be overly concerned about a member of their ranks trailing the borders with an obviously non-threatening coywolf. Besides, she thought that Vesper was nice enough, and a chat with her was worth the minimal risk of a scolding, if one were to come in the first place.

Indira moved closer to Vesper so that they were not really stradding the border anymore, an invisible line that Vesper let settle between them out of her obvious respect for such protocol. It was nice for Vesper to consider this, even though it was becoming somewhat apparent that Vesper knew more about Ichika than Indira did. It didn’t faze the coywolf in the slightest. She had only been here in a short time and she knew that she would learn eventually.

”How did you meet Kiara and X’yrin?” She wanted to ask what they were like, but it seemed a little funny to start out that way. Plus, she was certain that their natures would be revealed once she made their acquaintance. The Dai-In certainly intended to get to know her pack fellows very soon. Indira took care to keep a polite distance from Vesper but still not make her straddle the border as they began their leisurely stroll.

Words: 310, 3+
[html]

WC: 329

Vesper smirked at the other coywolf’s apparent nonchalance about whether this would be an issue to the leadership. She had to admire someone who wasn’t groveling to their commanders; wolves without backbones bothered her, invoking disgust at worst and pity at best. It was why she tolerated Inferni, not having to constantly conform to the displays of dominance and submission that ran rampant in some wolf-based packs; that, and respecting the leader she had helped too. All she knew about Ichika’s leaders was that one was a hippie.

She flashed a smaller, more encouraging smirk as Indira trotted closer to her, and they began to walk. The mountains all around them provided for beautiful scenery, and Ves was glad for her lupus form in case the ground became treacherous. It was definitely colder here than south of the mountains, though; her breath came in puffs of white smoke.

The grey hybrid didn’t answer her question, but that didn’t bother the Vigiles. If she had suspected it was best kept secret, ignoring it was a way to deter the tawny woman, who only pricked her ears at the question directed to her.

“X’yrin I met before either one of us had joined a pack,” Vesper explained. “Her culture was far different than the one in Nova Scotia; she belonged to a wandering group called the Nomads. Somewhat recently we met up again, and she gave me pointers on combat.” The sparring lessons had benefited Vesper greatly, and she was already gaining more and more confidence in her bipedal form despite her inclination for her birth one.

“Kiara and I met south… We swam out to an island and explored it together. Again, we reunited recently. I believe she’s the babysitter of the pack.” She shrugged, having not asked her friends many personal questions about Ichika. All she knew was that X’yrin was likely a warrior, and Kiara was proving that non-luperci were useful by taking care of her friend’s child.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
The gray coywolf hybrid was glad to listen to Vesper speak for a while. The Inferni coyote mix provided her with a story, a background that made her anchor to Ichika seem a little more solid. Other than Jace, she had yet to really meet anyone else in the pack. Indira was not antisocial by any stretch of the imagination, but she had been engrossed in exploring and learning more herself. She had seen some passersby in the distance, but had not wanted to chase them down while they were doing something in line with their responsibilities to Ichika no-Hoen.

It was interesting that X’yrin had once been nomadic. ”Where I lived before, south of here, our group was kind of nomadic, but we’d settle for a long enough while to set down roots.” Indira offered a little bit of her own history, wondering what it might be like to meet X’yrin and compare notes on their old lifestyles. She did not know if Vesper would want to reveal anything personal, which was fine since this was the first time that they were meeting, but Indira had nothing to hide and nothing holding her back emotionally from sharing anything. Rather, she was eager to build bonds and relationships. She was glad that her own pack mates had built relationships with people outside of Ichika. It meant that there would be allies, something that really appealed to Indira. She had never really forged meaningful ties outside of her own family group before.

”Do you spar a lot?” Indira asked, genuinely curious. Indira did not have any specialized skills. She could scout and hunt, but those had to do with her own personal survival. What did she have to offer Ichika? She could definitely learn, as she was young and had much strength to offer.

Words: 303
[html]

WC: 411

Vesper nodded as Indira mentioned her own group’s lifestyle. “You should really talk to X’yrin,” she suggested. “She’s keen on trading information. Her own culture is…well, they really worship the nomadic aspect. Wandering is their whole life, walking an endless path without anywhere to settle permanently…” She knew that she was probably misremembering some of the information, but with a shrug she decided that X’y would be able to explain it accurately. “I’m sure X’y and the Nomads saw wonderful things. Hearing her describe her life… It’s so genuine.”

And it put anyone else’s concept of wandering to shame, though she would let Indira learn that lesson herself. She still remembered the pangs of shame she felt when she needed to admit to the Exultare woman that she’d abandoned her own journey, but that had slowly passed. Everyone needed their own beliefs.

“I used to fancy myself a wanderer,” Vesper said after a moment. While she didn’t go revealing her personal life to strangers, she did feel obligated to match pieces of information others shared. “I had no pack for a long time. My mother was a lone coyote, and so it was just her and us, her daughters. I was independent at an early age.” She glanced at Indira, judging her to be a yearling, and smirked faintly. “Maybe your age. A few months earlier.”

She sniffed the air briefly then glanced into the Ichikan territory, wondering if the mountainous charm had been what had drawn so many to the pack and its peaceful ideals—or if the ideals had drawn them to the pack. She supposed this quiet place could be seen as an adytum for troubled souls.

Indira asked a question, and the coywolf was jerked out of her thoughts, turning her head to the other with an almost-verbalized “huh?” She flicked her ears forward then nodded, her lips creasing comfortably into their signature smirk. “As much as I can, when I’m not specifically doing duties for my pack. I used to think I was an amazing fighter before I came to Nova Scotia, but meeting many warrior here taught me that everyone can improve. Sparring is exciting for me, too; all of the rush from fighting without the threats.” While others might fight to cause harm to others, might lust for the blood of a kill, Vesper cared more for the sport than the end result. She’d killed one coyote, and that hadn’t been a good feeling.

<style type="text/css">
.biggerscars b {font-weight:bold; color:#1a212a;}
</style>[/html]