Setting sun
Being mostly nocturnal, the albino had found a nicely shaded place by the riverside to crawl up in and waste those hours of light snoozing in peace. The long coat was perfect to huddle up in as it offered protection from the wind and the fur that the inside had been lined with made sure that nothing would freeze off. Whilst it probably would not protect against drastic weather that would reach past -20C, up until that it would work quite well with the jackal's own fur assuming a spot could be found that wind would not invade. Plus sleeping at day was better since it was warmer, and the colder temperatures of the night would have less of an impact since moving about.

Silent breathing would continue up to about a few hours before sunset when the albino would wake from peaceful slumber with a shiver, stretch and yawn that finished in a sharp squeak at the end. Even though having slept in random holes for the past several months, body would still disagree and every morning had it’s own ritualistic stretching, groaning and an occasional crackle of bones around neck and ankle. Fur around neck would bristle from the sensation of the morning stretch before wincing at the light. Crude goggles would of course instantly be lowered over eyes to protect them from the bright light of the sun. The main reason why the jackal moved about mostly at night. Those dark glassed goggles were prohibiting sight by quite a lot so would result in drastic decreased precision. For the time being though they would do.

Once having finished the mandatory morning scratches and rolls of jaw, feet would carry over to the edge of the river only to kneel down beside and draw a bit of water between cupped hands. A sigh of relief given at the refreshing water before heading back over to the cover of trees to pick one of the shades near by. There would be no traveling whilst the sun was still up. Besides this was as good of time as any to chew on a strip of dried meat. Seeing as backup provisions were low, for the time being the jackal would simply chew and suckle upon one end of the strip to hopefully rid self of hunger whilst mind was occupied with a piece of branch collected from the near. Seated and reclining against a tree, hands would move towards the edge of the shade to use the light to better see the branch in question and proceed with cutting it into a more useful shape. Probably yet another disfigured face or perhaps a hairpin. Add a bit of humming of a long time ago heard song that managed to bore in deep and you've got the perfect way to kill a few hours.
I[html]

Word Count » 326 :: OOC: I hope you don't mind me joining in :3

Eclipse was trying to find a good area to practice her bow. It wasn’t easy to find something with in her pack, and she wanted a spot in which she could be alone, to call her own at least in theory. She knew she couldn’t claim any land, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t find some secluded spot no one ever went. She walked silently, as any hunter would, keeping her ears out. She had been south for the past few months so the young woman had encountered many different canines throughout her voyage and she learned it was best to be cautious than to go about as she had when she was younger, oblivious to anything. So she wasn’t caught by surprise of the male who was humming. What did surprise her was the species of which he was. He kind of looked like a coyote, but he wasn’t. She could tell he looked different than any coyote she knew, but that was what he best resembled. Curiousity got the better of her as she moved forward clearing her throat. her ears were up in interest and her posture was that of a confident hunter. She had a bow slung over her shoulder with a quiver of arrows, a present to her from her traveling companion who had taught her to use the bow. He was gone now, went further south and she turned back north.

“Uh Hello, I couldn’t help but hear that humming. It’s very pleasant.”

Knowing full well this wasn’t the reason why she came to him. She wouldn’t reveal her reason for this, though she would find a subtle way to find out what she wanted to know. For now she was just acting friendly, in hopse that he wasn’t some murderous predator pulling in prey by his handsome voice or his odd looks.

“My name is Eclipse Soulstorm, I really hope I’m not bothering you!”

<style>
.free-a41 .ooc {font-style:italic;}
.free-a41 .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold; font-style:normal;}
.free-a41 p {padding:0px 20px 5px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.free-a41 b {color:#6f6868; letter-spacing:-.2px;}
.free-a41 {font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#7a364d; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; text-align: justify; margin:0px auto; margin:5px auto; width:470px;}
.free-a41 .inner{background-color:#cfcfcf; background-image:url(http://anna.sleepyglow.net/images/gifts/free-a41.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:200px 0px 10px 0px; border:0px solid #fff; width:470px; border-radius:10px; -moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px; margin:0 auto;}
</style>
Table by Anna
[/html]
[html]
Dextrous fingers would glide over the surface, making sure that no splinters could come from the piece of branch currently worked with only to adjust angle and pressure. Light shavings would begin to pile up on the ground beside. Soon to be hairpin was lifted for a moment for the evening light that peeked past the tree to shine along the outlines of the carving before bringing it back close to resume shaving off a bit from here and there so it would actually have a proper form.

The approaching presense of another was left unnoticed at first as mind was occupied with both humming and carving, nor was any scent felt due to the huntress approaching from down wind, so once throat clearing and steps could be heard, sizable auricles would perk in attention and turn towards. Crimson gaze, hidden behind dark glassed goggles, would of course follow right after. There was no immediate danger so the albino remained upon spot but would still remain paying close attention tot he female due to the spotted ranged weapons. After all, the last thing the jackal needed at this point was to be robbed. Or worse. Wounded.

The little compliment would be registered with a little flicker of ear before head would incline to offer a small nod in acknowledgement. “It helps pass the time.” Not to mention made things that much more interesting.

Thankfully, the jackal was indeed not the malicious type. A bit evil or mischievous at times though never actually wishing to cause any serious harm or injury. Once the name was given, the albino would slowly rise from only to offer a polite little bow of head. Oh yes, the albino could be very nice if needed be. And even though mostly anti-social, a friendly approach could not be left ignored. “A pleasure, Miss Soulstorm. I am Achtas Joir. And no, you were not disturbing. I was just passing the time until the sun would set to move on again. My sincere apologies if I managed to move into or pass through your pack’s territory. I must have missed the markings.” These days everything seemed to be divided and everyone was part of something. So for the sake of own safety, it was best to throw that in before things got ugly. Just to be on the safe side.
[/html]
[html]

Word Count » 333 :: OOC: :3

As he turned she could see that he was all white, she had thought he would have some color on his front, Naryu was an example of one who was half white half black, so Eclipse thought there would be some color to the man but there wasn’t. It was a different sight for the young woman. She didn’t see many who had been as white as her mother and this both unsettled her and made her feel slightly comforted, it was a very strange combination, but with her past with her parents it was one she expected. The goggled man looked at her as she introduced herself and she smiled giving him a bow that an Ichikan would. by placing her hands together and lowering the top half of her body.

“ Pleasure’s all mine, but please just call me Eclipse. Don’t worry about that. This isn’t anyone’s territory, in fact I was just trying to find a place to practice my shooting.”

She put her finger tips on the end of the bow, but kept her eyes on the jackal. She looked at his project, then around the little area that she suspected was HIS home and she blushed slightly, her dark fur glowing with her embarrassment.

“But it seems that I am tresspassing in your living area, my apologies. I just was interested in your humming. My mother she used to sing me to sleep when I was a pup. It’s been that long since I’ve heard a song of sorts. Do you have a name for it? Or did you make it up?”

She was slowly moving away, feeling sheepish, not sure if she should just leave or stay, but she was interested in getting to know this lone canine. It would ultimately be up to him if he wanted her company or not, so she would evidently just slowly move away until he invited her or they just parted ways.

<style>
.free-a41 {font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#7a364d; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; text-align: justify; margin:0px auto; margin:5px auto; width:470px;}
.free-a41 .inner{background-color:#cfcfcf; background-image:url(http://anna.sleepyglow.net/images/gifts/free-a41.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:200px 0px 10px 0px; border:0px solid #fff; width:470px; border-radius:10px; -moz-border-radius:10px; -webkit-border-radius:10px; margin:0 auto;}
</style>
Table by Anna
[/html]
[html]
Thin, pale lips would curl up to offer a little smile in response as the huntress seemed to amaze further with the polite and friendly attitude. Whilst it was probably young curiosity, the jackal would still try not to scare her off. After all, it had been the first face seen in a few weeks and talking to oneself offered only so much.

“Oh please, no need for apologies. I just stopped here for the night to sleep a bit. I have no home so technically even if you wanted you couldn’t be trespassing.” Well technically there was a place the jackal should be able to consider home, though since having no plans on returning, it was best left off the list. The jackal required intrigue and diversity, something that was impossible found back home. “And the song does have a name. I am certain of it. Sadly I didn’t have the time to stick around to hear the entire thing or get to know more about it than the few snippets here and there.

Crimson eyes would of course register the lass constantly moving back as if trying to escape. Could the albino honestly intimidate her considering he was so much shorter? Either way albino would lean back to take a seat within the shade of the tree. “Please, stay and chat if you’re not busy and wouldn’t mind telling me random things about these lands. Like if there are any dangers I should be aware of and where exactly am I.” The last part would have the jackal’s lips peeling back in a sheepish grin before proceeding to shave off a few spots upon the wooden, three forked hairpin.

The albino, of course, would not tackle and keep her here for interrogation, though would not mind the company since it might have been best to know about the lands. After all, the jackal had been at the sharp point of a spear once and honestly had no desire to repeat that.
[/html]
[html]

Word Count » 326 :: Out of character text here.

“It is too bad you couldn’t stay to hear the name of it, it’s a nice tune.”

Eclipse said. The pleasant smile was a plus for the girl, she liked making others happy and it seemed he was happy enough, and he was only there temporarily. She wondered if he was looking for something, a home, or a pack or both. She might come to that question later but for now she couldn’t help but grin at his insistance that she stay and tell him about the area.

“Oh these lands are rather big and quite diverse, I’ve just returned myself so I am not sure that I can give you all the information about it.”

She said honestly, stopping her backwards movement and moved close enough to sit at a comfortable distance from the Jackal. She had to think; there were plenty of dangers around, but the biggest one she knew of was that wolves disappeared around one of the newer packs, so she figured she would start with that one.

“I do know that around a pack called Salsola, over in that way;” She pointed towards where the pack was said to be established; “Wolves keep disappearing whenever they get near. It’s sketchy though mostly rumors, but they are very secritive. Um, the clan Inferni, they don’t like wolves much, nor anyone who really isn’t half coyote either.”

She paused for a little to let him take that in. Those were the two places she’d learned at a young age to keep away from. Anathema wasn’t so bad though they were probably a little more territorial than most packs. She would wait for him to let him know of the packs she knew around the area as well, she wasn’t too big on talking but there was so much about ‘souls that it couldn’t be said in a few simple answers.

<style>
</style>
Table by Anna
[/html]
[html]
“Yeah, well never really stayed anywhere so heard what was to hear whilst walking through.”
It was kind of true seeing as the albino only stopped to sleep for the day and moved on by night. A home, a pack, a tail brush? Such thoughts would generally stay clear of the jackal’s mind though lately, once or twice, they had reared their ugly heads to seed confusion and doubt. Probably seeing as the weather was threatening with it’s ominous cold so instincts were screaming to not go further north.

For the time being fingers would resume fiddling with the hairpin, making sure to keep fingers warm and so that what skill here was would not deteriorate seeing as it had been a while since the albino had to actually make anything of real worth. A few months even. Ears would of course remain perked to listen to the soothing voice of the female. “It’s okay. I’m used to walking through areas in the blind anyway. Plus there is not many I encounter under the cover of the night. Thankfully.” Head would lift to look towards her as she settled in on a spot close by only to offer a nod and resuming with the carving.

The matter of Salsoa and Inferni would make those ears flicker and eyes follow towards the pointed directions in order to make sure to be aware of the dangers warned. After all, would be a shame to suddenly disappear after having moved about for such a long time. A perfect target though. A loner that no one knows about or has even seen. Not to mention the odd coloration that not all seen to be comfortable with. “Well I did meet a coyote on the ship half a month back though aside from that not too familiar with them. But thank you kindly for the warning. Whilst I might not know where I belong or what should I be doing, I still have no desire to die.”
After all, who did?

The hairpin was fairly simplistic, three forks that were slightly thicker at the tips with a wider area in the back for hand to hold. Hand would fetch out the bag with fine sand only to carefully slip different areas inside for a thorough rubbing, so to smooth out the edges and make sure there would be no loose strands. Only once that was completed a few simplistic illustrations would be added to the top hold of the hairpin by carefully carving them in with the tip of the bone knife.

“I don’t have much to offer for the information that you’ve so willingly provided with.” The jackal had of course assumed some sort of payment was required seeing as nothing was ever free when traveling. And even if nothing like that had been agreed upon at the beginning, most expected to get something in return.

So once having made sure the hairpin was smooth and complete, the albino would casually toss it over towards her lap. “As said, it’s not much. You can have it if you have any use for it or know anyone that might. Also feel free to ask anything of me in return. Only fair.”
[/html]
[html]

Word Count » 422 :: OOC: Thar I posted Big Grin

Eclipse watched as he worked on the hairpin, intrigued by his movements and how he worked on it. It was amazing what some canines could do with their hands when they learned. He spoke of a boat and this perked Eclipse’s interest. She wasn’t one fond of water but boats seemed far less hazardous than that of the water it kept its passangers from.

“You were on a boat? What was it like? Where did you come from?”

She asked with interest. She blinked a little as he spoke of returning her information. She wasn’t one to leave some one high and dry if they asked for it and she would never ask for anything in return so she was absolutely surprised when he tossed her the hairpin when he finished it. She caught it just before it hit her lap and she looked at it then back at him. Her mouth moved a little and a pleasant smile wrapped around her lips.

“Thank you, though this is far better than any information. It is surely worth more than that. There are other packs around here, though they are nicer than the one’s I’ve mentioned. The pack I’m from Ichika no Hoen, is a bit north east of us, and there’s also Anathema, they are well hidden in the mountains, then there’s Crimson dreams, and Cour des Miracles, as well as AniWaya and Cercatori de art. They are all south of here, scattered around.

She said moving the hairpin around in a circle as she looked at the detail he put into it, then back at him. He did ask about the packs and she let him know of the ones that she knew about, though she knew nothing of their cultures much at all to explain for him. He deserved that much if he thought he needed to pay her back for some advice. She wasn’t going to cheat him out of anything at all.

“This is so beautiful where did you learn to make it?”

She asked. In no way was she interested in becoming a carver. She was a hunter, a cook, and she grew plants, that was good enough for her. She did her part in the whole of the circle of her pack, but it wasn’t any less interesting to find out where he had learned his craft. She bet he was from a far off place that she could only ever dream about!

<style>
</style>
Table by Anna
[/html]
[html]
The jackal couldn’t help but laugh lightly as all the questions suddenly poured out at the mere mention of boat. “Actually I’ve been on three boats since I began my travel. But yeah, travel by boat can be pretty but if you have to stay on one for a few months at a time, It get’s rather difficult to cope with the lack of land. Sure the sight is pretty when the sea is more or less calm and it’s rather relaxing. But I swear I will never be fully used to the lack of land. Plus being cooped up with the same people for months at a time kind of makes sure that you have to get along with them for the sake of the trip. Cause one false step and you’re overboard, in cold water and lost at sea.“ Not to mention when on a longer trip, one had to constantly help out where possible. Either cooking, cleaning or managign the sails when the wind was stronger.

“Originally, though, I come from Zambia. A little spot of tropical heaven with hot and humid weather around the year and gorgeous waterfalls. Not to mention jungles and a nice span of high plateau’s with a dash of mountains and hills here and there. A lot of bugs and critters that can kill on bite compared to this place though. Whilst it was pretty, I couldn’t stand the heat and humidity due to my... well unnatural coloration condition. Hence why I left when I was two, just a bit before the slightly cooler season started so I would not die traveling.” Which of course was still hot as hell compared to the temperatures about the current areas. Above 20C wasn’t that much but the humidity was annoying as hell.

The jackal would lean back fully against the tree to remain comfortable for the time being whilst fingers would put away the bone knife and the bag of fine sand used to ‘polish’ wood all whilst offering smaller nods here and there. “Huuu god. I will probably not be able to remember all of those names. Quite the diverse culture you have here. But thank you for the bit of information regardless. Every little bit helps to make sure I don’t accidentally travel through a pack’s territory. Don’t want to be an eyesore around. Even if I won’t be around for long I assume. Have to find my own little place to stay before I can stop moving about.”

At the mention of the skill though, the albino couldn’t help but belink for a moment before lips widening into yet another smile. “Oh, back home everyone knows how to make trinkets. We pride ourselves with colorful ritualistic outfits and decorated huts. My father was crafter by occupation though. Metal, bone, wood... wire... all such things. And my mother was a healer. So I picked up a bit from both. But seeing as this vegetation is different I don’t really know the healing herbs or properties of plants here so I try to get my way through with things I can craft whilst on the move. So smaller things. Anythibg larger would have me stranded in one place and having to set up a corner. But anyway. What do you do around these parts anyway?” Sizable auricles woudl flicker as that thin, yet fairly long muzzle turned towards her with genuine curiosity.
[/html]
[html]

Word Count » 714 :: OOC: You do NOT have to match my word count!! I am sorry you have to read all this but I did try to make it interesting enough to read :3

“THREE boats!?!

She said in astonishment, her eyes widening at the thought of being on more than one boat. She knew he meant at different times but that must have been quite the trip! He mentioned it wasn’t exactly all fun and games being cooped up in one place. Eclipse could understand that not being able to wander far would put her in a unhappy mood, and just being near the water, so deep, she didn’t think she could manage it. She had seen them from afar and wondered what it was like, but she didn’t want to stay on them for months on end. Not like Achtas said.

“Wow... so those who own the ships, how do they stay sane if they are always on the ships? Do they not like the land or something? Traveling too far at all?”

She asked with interest, words that were probably something he wouldn’t know but she wouldn’t be too disappointed if he just shrugged at her, just knowing someone who had been on one was good enough for her. Well she knew a few but never really got the nerve to really as them much about the boats. Atchas explained about his home, and could imagine such a beautiful place. much like the mountains with the waterfalls except with more denser trees. being south in the Americas she had discovered some very nice newly made forests. After the humans had died the trees sprang up where ever they pleased and the earth was able to do what she wanted with her land without the destruction that they gave her. Eclipse knew very little about humans though but the place Achtas explaned seemed like a wonderful place to live, but aparently it was not suitable for him. She listened to him with rapt attention, her imagination soaring as he spoke of his home,

“It is too bad it is so far away, or I would visit it. It looks like a nice place to go. I do not like being away from my family for too long. I’ve done a little traveling. I went further south for a few months. It’s nice to see other lands, but my home has always been around here.”

She said motioning to the mountains and the area her family was at. Many of them weren’t there anymore but she still considered her pack her family. She smiled as he spoke about not being able to remember them. She was sure he would learn soon enough He would have to if as he said was right. Though she frowned at that. She just made a friend who gave her something so beautiful... to not see him again.... she looked down at the hairpin he gave her, and then back up thinking positive, she would still be his friend no matter where he went. He explaiend his skill and she smiled a sad smile remembering her father having once helped her learn some of her inate skills of hunting, and her mother had read to her many times. Eclipse had learned to read in her mother’s memory, though it had been a hard process and she had a little help, but it helped her far more than she thought it could.

“Well you will have to come find me in spring. I know a lot about herbs plant,s and spices I don’t know their healing qualities but I can make a mad stew with many of the spices, I just know what some stuff are called, and I do have a book that tells you what some herbs do. And I am a hunter too. I’m learning how to use a bow and arrow so i can take down a deer on my own. I saw a friend do it once, but it takes a lot of practice.”

She said putting her finger on the bow that had been made for her on the journey she had just come back from. It hurt her to know her friend would never be around again. He had gone south, far more south than Eclipse could ever go, but their paths had to end somewhere and she kenew it.

<style>
</style>
Table by Anna
[/html]
[html]
OOC: It's all good! <--> Word count: 1011

For once, the albino could completely understand the female’s curiosity as most spent days so far inland that they had never even seen a ship, let along managed to travel aboard one. For instance none of the jackal’s family members had ever done so and actually found the thought of Achi leaving to travel hilarious right up until the point when all things had been packed and the time for final farewells came. It had been obvious at that point that the jackal would probably never be returning as a quest for a new home had been set. Either find a more comfortable place or be another wandering soul lost in the winds for the insects to feed upon once feet could not carry anymore. It was actually a miracle that the albino had managed to come out so far considering odd looks and the inability to move about much during daylight. Well when the sun was out at least. Cloudy weather was all fine.

An awkward moment of silence would allow to the few initial questions as hand would life to rub at the back of neck since honestly having wondered the same things more than once along the journey. At one point, when passing some smaller islands, the albino had actually been contemplating if to get off and live right there so not to be stuck at sea for another week. It had definitely been tempting. “Well usually as I’ve seen ships aren’t owned by individuals. Packs or some larger families that have the know-how passed on seem to control them. Well, more or less. But I honestly cannot understand how they can be at sea for months at a time. Then a few weeks on land and months once again. Shorter periods are fantastic. But if you’re stuck with sea in every direction and follow the stars to go where you must.. it’s a little frightening and constricting. Knowing that should something happen then you’re as good as dead or if you misread the stars you’re as good as lost. I personally couldn’t do that type of work, that I am certain of. Maybe help mend ships, yeah sure, but not travel on it for months at a time. Just too tiresome.”
After all, the first thing that the albino did once off the boat was falling on all fours and kissing the ground since almost having lost faith that it would ever be seen again.

At the mention of the female’s travels, ears would twitch and turn to. After all, moving about to see different cultures and worlds was quite exciting. At the mention of own home being visited, lips parted in a light chuckle before a simple shake of head would follow. “Don’t waste your time dear. It’s nice I suppose due to the wonderful waterfalls and such. But the amount of bugs we have there it’s insane. Not to mention the heat. Not just hot, but hot and humid so you’ll be sweating just from walking about. And besides, if you wanted to go there you’d have to spend approximately half a year on a boat for the trip there and back. Not to mention the part where you’d have to travel by foot. And if you go there you’d definitely need to find a guide since it’s amazingly easy to get lost in the jungles if you don’t know where you need to go. Not to mention all the poisonous things that crawl about. If you get bitten or stung somewhere there, no one will be able to help you. Unless you get lucky and some of the neighboring jackals find you. And are actually friendly enough to help. Which doesn’t happen too often.”
After all, most seemed to stick to themselves and ignore everything else. Well for the most part. They still functioned as a community but were kind of loners at the same time.

“And don’t worry about me leaving so soon. I will probably stick around these parts for until it is summer since I cannot move further North much due to the cold. Not prepared for that and I honestly dislike thought of becoming a...a.... wolfcicle? As silly as that sounds. So if that offer will still be available in spring I will definitely look you up. Some local cuisine sounds like quite the treat.” After all, the albino’s pickings about these areas were fairly slim. Sure, smaller rodents and whatnot like that but being a bit more omnivorous, the jackal also longed for those juicy incects and fruits and berries that were not found in these areas. And eating everything that seemed pretty would not fly. After all, getting ill somewhere along the way was a death sentence for a lone traveler.

Once the topic shifted towards Eclipse’s own skills, the jackal’s smile would widen and a few nods of head given here and there. Whilst the albino knew some form of fighting and hunting, it was nothing comparable to actual hunters. The jackal could of course feed self, but even a large part of that was from insects and fruit. Not exactly as skilled with using weapons as making them. “An entire deer eh? Well I hope you manage to perfect your skill to that point. Back home we never really hunted for anything large. Very rarely. Mostly everyone hunted for themselves or just for their family. Instead of bows and arrows though, my family preferred spears and daggers and knives. Basically anything that you could throw or cut with. So I couldn’t give any pointers there as I only barely know how to use a spear. A bit better with daggers but even so wouldn’t trust myself with them if I actually had to fight someone. Much batter barehanded.” After all claws and fangs were a rather neat little weapon if used right. And the albino’s small and thin frame allowed for great mobility and flexibility. So things were kind of balanced.
“How long have you been practicing so far though? Caught anything with a bow and arrow?”
[/html]
[html]

Word Count » 841 :: Out of character text here.

The silence was normal for Eclipse and she watched his expression as he started speaking. The feeling of foreboding washed over her as he spoke of how he couldn’t understand how some wolves could do it, and the thought made her think that she probably wouldn’t want to try to be on a ship, not with that explanation. She looked out towards where the sea was She had been an inland wolf, but she was born by the sea. Dahlia was by the Bay of Fundy, and memories of herself playing with the waves washed over her. Now she didn’t go out to the sea to play, in fact she was scared of the water. After her near drowning, she didn’t like it much more than to drink with. So the thought of being on a boat for months at a time with nothing but the others around you and the sea to swallow you up... it gave her a constricted feeling. She nodded silently, looking back at he man.

“As beautiful as ships are, I suppose they are only for looks and aren’t as much fun as they seem.”

She said with a finality. She was no longer interested in the ships, not with the feeling he gave her explaining to her about the cramped in feeling beign surrounded by nothing but water.... water you couldn’t drink. It was an extremely scary thought. He explained why she shouldn’t even bother trying to go to his home, and she giggled. She had no intentions of going so far away at all. The thought was all that mattered

“Oh I won’t be leaving here any time soon and it would never be too far. I love my family. Though hot and humid isn’t something I’m too worried about. My travels down south, they have plenty of places like that, where there is little whater, I heard tales of places so dry that there was no life, not even grass. I couldn’t go live in a place like that, but to visit probably wouldn’t be so bad. My home is nice, though change can always be good every once in a while, as long as I can come back again.”

Achtas mentioned a word she hadn’t yheard before though. Jackals, was that what he was? she tilted her head, she couldn’t be too sure about that. She never met one before. A Jackle or an animal such as himself; so it was hard to put together, unless those were native canines that had treated him wrongly? It sure sounded like they were luperci after all. She blushed as he had seen her quiet reaction to his thoughts of possibly being gone sooner or later. She smiled sheepishly and it grew as he said he’d have to look her up for her food. She was pretty good at it, at least she thought so, but she rarely got to make anything for others as they were raw eaters more than anything else. She didn’t mind though. The cooking was just a passion and something she loved to do even if it was only for herself. She tilted her head as he spoke about only hunting small animals, and then for only the individuals. Did his pack not know anything about companionship, sharing, working together?

“My pack, we usually use our lupus forms. Not everyone is trained in spears or even bows and arrows. I actually don’t know if anyone does know how to use a bow... I was taught by a friend when traveling. My pack discourages fighting, though I’m sure we know how. I don’t fight myself... I don’t like it.”

She said. It was true she didn’t like the idea especially after Razikiel had taught her about the great mother. She was not entirely into his religion as he was, but she believed everything he had told her now. After all, how could he be wrong? He was her alpha, and she loved him. That was reason enough to believe just about anything he said. And he tended to say everything bluntly. At his question she blushed a little. Shrugging.

“I’ve only been training for a month. I cannot kill anything yet I’m able to hit a target at least. It’s why I came out here to practice I want to get to the point where I can hunt something delicious for my pack. We share our meals, hunt together live together. We use each other’s help to get things done. My family, we rebuilt our home from an old human house. But No one knows a bow and arrow so I have to try to do what I was taught by my friend.”

She admitted She wasn’t the best at anything at all, though she was fairly a good hunter for her standards. She was able to get things as big as rabbits and woodchucks, even the pheasants that had migrated south. Those were a delicacy.

<style>
</style>
Table by Anna
[/html]
[html]
OOC: <--> Word count: 1113

Couldn’t fully agree with that thought. Even if ships were somewhat unpleasant to most over longer durations of time, those that worked upon them seemed to be more comfortable at sea than on land. Everyone had their different preferences and the jackal, now, knew for certain that solid ground was a must. Even if the albino had no fear of water and knew fairly well how to swim, it was still just so unfamiliar and unknown. After all, the biggest bodies of water up until that point had been rivers or occasional ponds. There hadn’t even been any lakes near the jackal’s home.
“Well I wouldn’t agree with that. They are very nice, if the trip doesn’t take more than say one or two days. Then it’s all good since you should always be able to see land. But when there is no land for months at a time, it’s quite a bit frightening. I suppose seeing land just gives you more confidence, that you know exactly where you are and where you’re going. And know that if something goes wrong you have a small chance to escape. But if out on the ocean, there is no way you can survive if a violent storm breaks out and shatters the fragile ship. But otherwise ships are very beautiful and sailing is quite fun. Not to mention it apparently makes fishing a lot easier as well. Brings you in closer to a few selective spots. Or so some of the crew told me. At least that’s what was mostly on the menu. Fish cooked in different ways. Sometimes even raw, but honestly didn’t like that too much.”
The jackal rarely liked to eat anything raw. Meat on occasion sure but with the travels and the need of dried meat, tastes had changed a bit so if an option was available, then cooked meals would be preferred to those of raw nature. Hell, even insects if cooked or smoked properly were a lot better. One actually couldn’t tell the creepy-crawlies apart from regular meat. Aside from the obvious crunch that is.

At the mention of Eclipse’s connection to her home, the albino could just smile and nod since not fully understanding or feeling that bond. Sure home was home, but anywhere could be made into a new home. And anyone could become family. After all, jackals never formed large packs.
“Eh, well I must say I envy you then. You have a home you never wanted or will want to leave. Never really had anything like that. The only reason I didn’t leave my home sooner was basically because I’m odd. White and whatnot and cannot really stand the daylight. Hence why I have to wear these goggles. A gift from a neighboring family who had always been nice to us and apparently had actually heard of something such as this and managed to get their hands on some dark glass.”
Of course it was probably mostly so that that should they need a favor in return, they could always freely ask for it without bringing in anything to trade for. After all, a craftsman owing a favor to someone was nice. Quite hard to say no to no matter how insane the request might be.

Mostly families with the lead reproductive pair and just a few that stuck about. Generally no more members than five or so. Hence why there had never been things like pack hunts and such. Generally most went away when they could and formed their own families and so started a small pack of their own. What the jackals were, though was territorial. Even though fairly small, with the knowledge to create and wield weapons, they were rather formidable foes. There were no predators that a jackal was known to flee from at this point. And more often than not it was fighting amongst own kin for territorial rights and trespassing. There were so many small families that it was nearly impossible not to move through someone’s land or not end up hunting near a home. Not like there were many families, simply the best grounds were always taken and if one wanted to feed well, then some risks had to be taken. Not to mention defending own home with fang and claw.
“My pack... eeeh. Was mainly my family. Mother, father, a brother from a previous litter and some from the same as me. We don’t really have large packs. Or hunt together or anything really. As apparently I’ve learned wolves do. We generally try to stick to our little corners and live without really talking much to each other or getting too attached. Since at one point or another, most leave in search for something better or their own personal little hole to hide in. The only time that we got together and did something as one was when someone tried to take our land or move in too close. So yeah. Not really a home, but a place one is welcome to stay and land where one can hunt on.”

The jackal’s expression would turn to that of longing whilst actually trying to picture how it would be where everyone depended on one-another, helped out and didn’t fight amongst own bretheren for stupid things such as water or food. Ah yes, it sounded nice but the picture wouldn’t form completely since honestly the jackal was way too unfamiliar with such a lifestyle. It wasn’t bad to imagine it though.
“Ah, so your pack is larger than just your family? But yes I suppose hunting for them would be a nice gesture. I was responsible for my own food and my own only since.. a bit under a year after birth. But I do agree, your home sounds rather nice and you should definitely keep to it. One thing I’ve learned is when you have something that you hold dear, don’t spit on it and don’t lose it. After all, you never know how long those things last and it’s important to make every moment count.”
The jackal would pause for a moment before grinning sheepishly and rubbing at the back of own neck once again. “Okay, okay I might have just fed you a line that I heard from one of the sailors aboard the ship. But it does sound kind of right, doesn’t it? And as for your hunting, you should definitely try to get better and surprise them all with a great hunt. If you have a skill that you can and are comfortable doing then you should let it grow. Everyone has something they’re good at and use it get ahead in life.”
[/html]
[html]

Word Count » 901

She considered what he said and nodded, yes so like anything that was around there were ups and downs of a ship, though she felt that she would just stay on land and be safe rather than risk karma and jump on a boat, even for a day or two. Though the last part made her tilt her head. She liked fish and it was so fun making something out of them. Using different ingredients, they were hard to work with in some instances but made for a very tastey meal.

“Ok I guess I can see where you come from, though I think I’ll stay here. My feet are far better suited to stay on solid ground. The fishing sounds tempting though. I’ve caught something here and there, but i think they were just stupid and jumped into my paws. They are wonderful things to cook with.”

Her eyes wandered to the sky thinking of basil battered trout. Those were delicious, using a fat or another animal, or finding precious other oils that was edible, it just made her want to go out and get something. Though her mind broke from that as he called out his envy, she couldn’t meet his eyes with that statement. No.... she had run away once, when her father left with no word, and she couldn’t bare such rejection that she just kept running from one parental guardian to the next before she found herself an adult and able to take care of herself, then Saul put it into her head that she belonged with Ichika, it was a terrible transition from Dahlia and any of the other places she had been, but as she was still young she was able to cope and learn the new culture of the place and it was able to shape her mind a little, though she didn’t stay for too long even then, she had left for her journey south, though that time with every intentions of coming back. She looked at him, white animals had a hard time seeing in the sun?

“My mother, she was white, I don’t remember her having any trouble, are you sure it was all whites? Or just you?”

She blushed at her brash comment, but it was true, maybe him being white wasn’t the reason to his sensitivity to sunlight, maybe there was something wrong with his eyes? She knew of exchanges of gifts, and she had been lucky, though she had saw once before she met her friend a wolf attacked another because he refused to help him with something and mentioned something about a favor he had done. So she knew of the subtle reasons for a gift and favor though she didn’t think that’s why he was given the goggles at all. He spoke of his “pack” though it sounded far more like a family group, that just hung around and made sure their territory wasn’t taken granted for. So she grew entirely enthusiastic about her own pack when he asked about it and she nodded fervently.

“I think back when the humans were around we were far more selective of who could be with us, and what species, but since the virus I think we have become far more lenient, though that’s a good thing, at least I think so. We can build communities and learn so much, and with the help of humans probably knwo what they knew, just tried not to do exactly what they did to become extinct.”

She smiled widely as he said a sayign he had learned from someone on the ship, and then admitted to it, but it was a truely good saying and she nodded in agreement to his words.

“I’ve had to learn that the hard way, i wasn’t always a homebody... after my father disappeared, I ran away, I kept running until I met up with one of my family again, and though it was hard, I did what I could not to run off again. I soon found that not everyone would do what my dad did and I grew to appreciate what I had and what I could offer. So I had to learn it the hard way.”

She said all this without looking at him. It was hard enough admitting to it, another thing to say it to a stranger turned friend. The compliment he gave to her made her smile a little and look back up.

“Perhaps you would want to give it a try? I guarentee deer meat would taste far more better than that of a rodent that you are so used to eating, and you wouldn’t ahve to rely on any other hunters to share with.”

She said. It was a sudden idea, and she wasn’t sure if she could even teach the man, but the basics to Archery was simple enough, it was just learning the aiming and shooting part that made it so challenging. It would be a good opportunity to have someone to work with, though it would be entirely up to Achtas and not her. If he were not willing she would simply shrug it off. If he were, well they could find enough practice space near where they were now and share the bow.

<style>
</style>
Table by Anna
[/html]
[html]
OOC: <--> Word count: 1383

Personally the jackal had nothing against fish though stuck eating it for a few months in a row kind of maked one long for something other than that. Sure it was prepared in different ways but even those became repetitive after a while. Whilst the staff aboard the ship seemed to be more than used to it, the albino had lost a bit of his appetite by the end of the trip and so having stopped asking for seconds even if occasionally fairly hungry. At this moment the jackal was willing to eat anything but fish. At least for a while. On the good side, at least some pointers had been given how to fish better in exchange for some knowledge of how to carve certain items that had to be replaced on the ship. Anything gained from that trip would probably become useful at some point should the jackal be down on luck and have to make a fishing-rod. A catch was more or less guaranteed. It was nice to have options and not to starve if there was at least some kind of body lake or river beside that had fish in it. Lips would part in a bit of a laughter though as a nod was given, land was indeed so much better.
“Heh I can agree with that. As nice as it is to sail, movign over land is so much better. Perhaps not always as fast but at least you can stop and sleep freely whenever you want and you know that when you wake up you won’t be up to the knee in water, forced to grasp anything that floats to try and swim for it. That thought never really did settle well. But fish is good, if you eat it once in a while, not every day.”

Upon the mention of envy, it wasy to tell that the female had become fairly uncomfortable. Saddened even. Apparently something was still amiss in the life that seemed oh so perfect. But of course that was something the jackal would not poke into too much. After all, one should respect private matters and not pry too much. She had been so nice and friendly so ruining it like that would just not do. Perked ears would fall as the awkward air seemed to go on before suddenly head inclined in a light, yet polite, bow.
“My apologies if I offended you somehow. I had no intention of doing so. I shouldn’t assume that everything is so easy and perfect. Of course everyone has their troubles from time to time. So yes, again, I’m sorry to have led the conversation onto that subject.”

The little blush that seemed to suddenly illustrate her expression would have the albino chuckling and adding a light shrug to the matter. “Well honestly I can’t say anything for certain there. Back where I was from, no one was completely white. So it was a fairly awkward moment when I was born. Initially they didn’t even assume I would survive since apparently I was fairly weak. But even as I got better, this illness seemed to remain. It’s not contageous or anything as far as I can tell, but even so it usually makes things odd as it robbed me of my natural color and the ability to enjoy the day.”
Not that it was much of an issue seeing as the jackal was mostly nocturnal. But the lack of an option to walk outside during daylight without goggles was somewhat annoying. It just seemed unfair. Especially when there was snow outside. At one point the albino had seen it during an early morning and the sun bouncing off of it had blinded the jackal for an entire day. Thankfully sight was regained some time after so the damage done was not permanent. But fromt hat point forward the goggles would never come off unless the sun had set and darkness moved in to rule over the land.

Head would peek past the tree once again as the shadows seemed to start to melt together and very little shone into he woods. So it was more or less safe to take the goggles off. Besides as it became darker, the jackal found it fairly hard to see with them on. Twilight, the worst possible time ever. Too dangerous to be without goggles yet barely able to see anything with. But for now, hands would lift to slowly untie one of the knots behind so the protective cover could easily be slipped over muzzle to hang loosely around neck. Such would of course reveal those eyes of blood red. Piercing upon the canvas of snow white fur.

“It’s probably just me since as much as I’ve checked I’m white all over. Even my eyes lacka ny color as you can see blood within them. I just hope it’s not too frightening. I assure you I mean no harm.”
At this point the jackal could just hope not to have scared Eclipse off as most seemed to be rather cautious around, saying that the color was unnatural even though the jackal or no one in the family had done anything to change it to such.

As the topic drifted onto packs and humand, the albino would have to agree that ever since the change, things had become much more tolerant in between species relations. Either good or bad, it was certainly a nice thing to see. After all, what could be bad about everyone getting along? Well some still didn’t, but that had been more or less drawn down to individual cases and not exactly one species hating another. At least do far the albino hadn’t noticed anything of the sort.
“Well I hope that we don’t go down the same path. Even if I will probably be long dead by the time that happens, I wouldn’t want those who come after to live in fear or knowing that everything was going to end with them. The thought of it is rather frightening.”

Ears would perk once again as the reason for her sadness was revealed and even though the albino could not exactly know how it felt, a small empathic whine would be given as it was obvious that it was not easy and family was important to her. Whilst the jackal honestly didn’t care much for own parents aside from respecting them, such was not the same for everyone else so one always had to be open to other options. After all, being closed minded and traveling about the world did not mix well together.
“I am sorry to hear about that. But it made you stronger and now you’re able to fully appreciate everything else! Plus it’s made you more understanding and a better person in general. That I can say from my own experience as you’ve been nothing but sweet and gentle. Not to mention trusting enough to sit and talk to me even though I am a complete stranger to you and these lands you call home.”

At the offer of archery, the albino’s head would tilt a bit to the side before chuckling out a bit and poking tongue out at, “Hey now, that wouldn’t be fair. I would be robbing you of your training time and forcing you to teach me instead. And if I wanted to catch a deer I would simply set a trap and wait. But that would be a waste anyway since I don’t eat that much and it would take too much time to set the meat to dry and make most of the remains to justify killing such a large animal. It simply wouldn’t be fair as others that actually have packs would need it much more than I. As good as your offer sounds, for the safety of all living things around I think it’s best I not be taught such thigns at this point. Because at one point or other I would probably kill something I could not eat and then leave it to rot. After all, if you take a life you better make sure you put it to good use and waste none of it. After all, otherwise it would not be fair and their spirit could not lay to rest.”
[/html]
[html]

Word Count » 1118 ::OOC: About time i got over 1000 XDD I had to bullshit at the end so don't worry bout reading the last bit haha

As he spoke of traversing the land on foot it made Eclipse think of buttercup, her dun mare, who was at home resting from the long journey they had taken. Eclipse would be riding her if she hadn’t promised the mare a nice long rest before she started riding the horse again. Smiling at the thought then wondered, how much faster could horses be to sailing? She knew horses couldn’t walk on water, that was preposterous, so the only way across the sea was to actually use a boat, but she knew of boats that skirted the shores of the lands around here, and it made her wonder, was horseback far better than sailing or was sailing quicker?? Well she could find out, in any case

“There are other options to walking these days. I have recently learned to ride a horse, someone said that’s what humans did a long time ago, but I couldn’t be too sure about that. Humans are a mystery to me, but horses are as fast as our feet when we run except we don’t have to use all our energies. Though they eat so much.”

Eclipse said. She had learned the hard way how much a horse really did eat on her first few days out. She had to trade a good deal of meat to get the horse what she needed to survive a journey without having to stop so often. Eclipse still loved the horse though, without her she wouldnt’ have gotten as far as she did so fast and without becoming wary from the journey only days into it. At his apologies for offending her she shook her head.

“No, no it’s ok you didn’t know. I know some have that perfect life but I am not one of them, though I’ve learned from each and everything that’s happened to me. You couldn’t have possibly known what happened to me nor anyone you don’t know.”

She watched as he moved to take off his goggles, and though he was aware of them and thought she would fear them, she actually stopped and stared, they were red! Red eyes! Though red was said to be the color of devils Eclipse believed it to be the color of life, for that was what the color of her blood was. She stared at him wide eyed and transfixed, unable to say much of anything as he explained that his condition went further than just being white pelted. She was intrigued and if she hadn’t been interested in him she most surely was now.

“I’m not afraid, but I see why you have a hard time seeing in the sunlight! It must be annoying to have to wear those all the time.”

She said, not thinking that he could be the nocturnal sort. She had never in her life seen an albino animal so she was utterly fascinated, and she didn’t hide it as she stared directly into his eyes with her own blue ones. If one stared into them they could see the hint of purple that mixed in with them that she’d gotten from her father. But red eyes! It was just, so uncommon and yet it suited the man just fine. That only lasted a short while as she found herself staring and looked down, clearing her throat, as though she were trying to cover up a cough. His compliment made her blush. She too thought that her experiences, however wrong they were, in her part as well as her families, she did come out better for it, and now had the family value she needed.

“I just wish I hadn’t hurt so many of my own family in the process. That’s my only wish, but things happen for a reason.”

She said.She felt sad when he declined her offer to teach him to use a bow, but there were far more benefits than just eating a little of the meat and wasting the rest....

“It’s easy to try and cook meat, you can sell it for something you need, I’m sure you can’t make much out of the pelts of rabbit furst you get, have you ever had a blanket before? In the frigid nights it does get rather cold and just staying still chills the bones. I mean it would still be practice for me too I’ve never trained anyone, but if you say you dont’ need the use it’s ok, but the offer is still open. I don’t use archery only for hunting, it is a game too. I try to hit small targets. That’s how I started learning, though i found out I could hunt with it as well, but I mostly learned because it was fun to shoot an arrow at a target and see how close i get to a certain point..”

She said. There were other benefits of being an archer as well, though they weren’t good for close contact hitting, they were good for keeping unwanted riff raff away. If someone threatening came near she was usually ready with her bow these days. She was more into using the bow as as sport more than anything though. She still couldnt’ hunt with it anyway. She was not skilled enough and she didn’t want to go after larger prey until she knew she had a good chance of killing and finding it sooner than later.

“I am sorry I just got carried away, if you don’t want to learn it that’s ok, I’m not offended or anything. I shouldn’t push stuff on you like that”

She said finally, feeling as apologetic as she sounded. She hoped he would forgive her for being frank, and thinking everyone should learn to use a bow and arrow, but that was how she felt, they were quicker to get meals, so they didn’t have to spend hoursf finding the food then more planning on who went were and killingthe thing. She never left anything to waste either, she used the bones brains, even their bladders, their stomachs made for a good sealed waterskin, and she helped preserve them so that someoen could make waterskins out of them. Then again she never hunted with a bow before, but she was sure her views on things wouldn’t change. Razekiel would be terribly angry if he knew that she had taken the life of an animal and not used it properly and would probably give her the mother earth speech about life being precious, though this was something she knew so she didn’t need telling.

<style>
</style>
Table by Anna
[/html]