backwards marathon
[html]

Apollo stopped to look at the white picket fence, noticing just how vibrant the starch color was against the backdrop of green vegetation. He cocked his head to the side, wondering who had been the one to put this fence here and why. It surely blocked people from getting in and out, but the Twilight Vale wolves were always coming and going from the mansion. Maybe it protected them from the bad animals in the wild. Like the bears or moose. He wasn’t sure. But in a way he admired its starch white boldness. He wanted to be like the fence – defiant and stable. And in a way he was - Purpose unknown, but acknowledged all the same.

He wanted to find Savina, who had offered to teach him so more Italian. Naniko had started telling Sirius and Apollo all about new languages when they had been a bit younger, but Apollo only ever really caught on with Italian. He liked the way it sounded to him. French he just found irritating. It bothered him that Sirius knew how to say phrases in French, while Apollo didn’t. Either way, it didn’t motivate him to learn it. He would stick to Italian. It fell from his tongue much easier anyways.

"Savina!" He called out in a voice that clearly belonged to a youth. It was high and soft, suitable for the body that produced it. One day it would grow lower and powerful, but that would not be for months. "Prossimo incontrarlo dal recinto!"

[/html]
[html]
wc 476

The corvus had been lazing about in her room on the ground level of the mansion. She had been really active ever since she had been here, or at least as active as she could be with her injured leg, and it was starting to catch up with her. The female had slept a bit into the day and when she had woken up she just laid there and lost herself in her thoughts. She was thinking about Italy, about her family, about what she had lost. She wondered about her siblings. Meeting the two young brothers had made Savina think of her own brother and sister. It had been so long since she had seen either of them. Ehno had taken off not long after they had reached adulthood. Savina had been so sad. She and Ehno were close and she hated the fact that he was leaving. "I promise we will see each other again." The onyx wolf doubted that would ever happen now. Her sister, Ghita, had disappeared as well after she had lost her first litter. That had almost hurt more, she felt that she had failed as a sister when she couldn't help her with the grief.

Soon, thankfully, the lupine was shaken away from her memories as she heard someone call for her. It was Apollo. She had told the pup that she would help him learn more Italian. Savina hoped that she wouldn't be a complete failure in this endeavor. The two-year-old had never taught anyone a language before. She had been trying to remember how the elder of her old pack had taught her English. Bits and pieces were coming to her, but she was still trying to think of things. She hoped that the anxious pup wouldn't get frustrated with her lack of experience in teaching. Slowly the female got up and gave a big stretch. Her mouth opened wide in a yawn, showing her ivory white fangs. With that she left the mansion to go find Apollo.

He had said that he was by the fence, so it didn't take the jet-black female to find her little student. Savina smiled as she padded up to him, her tail gently wagging behind her. "Apollo di pomeriggio buono. Spero che lei è bene oggi." She came and sat down beside the light-colored pup. After the initial greeting she slipped back into her Italian-soaked English. "So, I wondered if you might be able to tell me about how much you know so I can have a better idea of where we should start. Also this will be a bit of a learning process for me as well. I've never taught anyone language before, but I will do the best that I can" She really hoped that her little friend would bear with her as they worked through this process.

[/html]
(311)[html]

Apollo turned away from the fence to stare up at the large mansion. He couldn’t be sure if that’s where Savina was, but he watched it all the same. It loomed so large and grand out here in the middle of the lush wilderness. He really admired the building, and Twilight Vale in general. He couldn’t see why Sirius would want to leave. Even if he didn’t like being trapped in the room. Twilight Vale was their home. At least, that was how Apollo felt.

He sat down on his bottom, his short puppy legs falling to his sides. He couldn’t wait until he was older and could shift like all of the adults. Four legs got boring after a while. As the grass blew in the wind, Apollo looked up to discover Savina coming down towards him. The white picket fence loomed behind him. "Ciao Savina. Sì, sono buono." He knew very basic Italian (possibly more than Sirius, he wasn’t sure), but he could figure out the gist of what others were saying. The other day when he had discovered Sirius with Savina, he hadn’t understood exactly what Savina had said to him. Either way, he had a general sense of what she meant. Hopefully after a few lessons he would really be able to catch on.

"Well, I dunno. I mean, I can say some things, but not everything. Naniko only taught us easy things ‘cause she was also doing other languages too, like French. But I don’t really like French that much. She taught us the alphabet and how to say all the letters. And then she taught us words like ‘hello’." He wasn’t explaining the extent to what she had taught them very well, but he was only a child. After they got into the lesson, Savina would probably figure out what needed work, and what didn’t.

[/html]
[html]
Sorry if this kinda sucks. I'm working through this as much as Savina is XD If you have any suggestions feel free to share!

The femme listened as the pup tried to explain what he already knew. He knew the alphabet, that was good, and it was obvious he knew how to say basic words and phrases. Hmmmm, where would be a good place to start? The wolfess thought to herself. Then an idea came to her. It might be a bit juvenile, but it would be a good place to break the ice. "Alright Apollo. You stay there for a second. I'm going to draw some pictures in the ground and then when I'm done we'll see which ones you know the Italian words for."

With that the wolf turn around and used her claws to start drawing some pictures in the dirt. Some of them were easier and some were harder. She wanted to make sure she had a bit of a difficulty spectrum so she could get some idea where he was. The wolfess sketched a bear, a raven, a tree, a river, a representation of the coast, one of the mansion, a mountain, and finally one where she attempted to illustrate the wind. Savina turned back to Apollo then. "Well, I don't know how good my drawing skills are, but come over and look at these. See how many you can tell me the Italian words for." She hoped that this wasn't a silly exercise, it was the best thing she could come up with at the moment.

[/html]
This is a fun way of having a lesson! (461)[html]

He wondered why he felt so much resentment towards his father. He knew that Pilot was the leader of another pack and he had accepted the fact that his was Apollo’s true father, but still the white pup felt distant. Pilot had come to visit Sirius and Apollo several times after he had discovered they were living in Twilight Vale. He would talk with his father about whatever he decided to bring up, but he still felt a distance between them. He didn’t feel any real bond with him, besides the fact that Pilot’s blood ran through his veins.

He had had several replacement parents – Deuce, Lucifer, Naniko, Conri – but he still felt as if he was alone. He saw them all as familiar faces, pack members, friends, perhaps, but not a true family. He had this idea in his head that he was a loner. Sirius didn’t count. Now that the youth had gotten a bit older, he no longer followed Sirius around cowering behind his legs. He was the bigger of the two, but had always been more reserved. Now that he had made up his mind that he was a loner, he had decided that he would need to take responsibility for himself. Even if he was still only a small child.

He wandered over to the illustrations and looked down into the dirt. She had sketched out several drawings – some which he identified instantly in his head. "Un orso," he spoke as his mismatched eyes started with the bear. She had done a rather good job drawing that one. He moved his gaze to a new drawing. "Un uccello." He didn’t know the word for raven, and he wouldn’t have known that that was what it was either way. He was satisfied that he had gotten that correct and moved on to the next one. "Un albero." He didn’t know what the word for river was, though. Instead he told her, "Acqua."

The next illustrations were a bit more challenging. The words were more complicated and the depictions weren’t as simple to identify. Next was a drawing of the coast. He sat and looked at it for a while, an eyebrow rising in concentration. He finally decided on a phrase, "Il puntello," to describe it. "La nostra casa," he said with a grin. "Colline," he said for the mountain, but pronounced the word wrong. He knew that it was a picture of a mountain, but wasn’t sure how to say it.

He reclined to his haunches and stared at the last one with his mismatched gaze. It looked like waves – rippled lines to demonstrate the wind. He wondered out loud, "Acqua o aria?" Then he decided that it was wind and not waves. "Aria," he said affirmatively.

[/html]
[html]
Yay! I do not fail!
wc 430

She watched and listened as her young pupil deciphered her sketches and tried to come up with the words. The jet-black femme was impressed, he already knew quite a bit she could tell. He already knew most of the base, it was just specifics that he needed it appeared to her. When he had finished Savina gave the youngster a big smile. "Apollo molto buono!" She gave the light colored pup a soft pat on the back with her paw. "That was very well done. You have a very good base to start with. Let me help you with some of the specifics." She pointed to the raven drawing. "I know its hard to tell, but I attempted to draw a raven. You were correct by saying 'un uccello' for bird. The word for raven is actually the same as it is in English." Then she moved to the river pictures. "Once again, you were correct in saying 'acqua' for water. The Italian word for river is fiume. Fiume." She repeated the word to make sure he caught the pronunciation and everything correctly. Of course she would always help remind him if he needed assistance.

They moved on to the next illustration of the coast. "I was very impressed that you knew the word for the shore, 'il puntello'. Another way to describe it is the coast, or la costa. La costa." Now the mansion. "You were correct again, that is our house. It is also a mansion, castello. Castello." She moved to the picture of the mountain, which he seemed to have had the most trouble with. He had the basic idea though. "You were almost right with this one. It is a mountain, montagna. Montagna." Last was the wind. She was happy that he had been able to decipher her drawing, she would not have faulted him if he hadn't. "This is indeed 'aria'. It is also the wind, or vento. Vento." Once again she gave Apollo a broad smile. He was very smart, she could tell, and he was already doing well.

"You are already doing well Apollo, and I can tell that you already know quite a bit. How about we try this. Are there other things that you can think of that you don't know the words for? We will switch our roles in this game. This time you draw pictures of the things you would like to know the words for, and when you do I will look at them and teach you their names." Savina stood back and gave her student room to work.

[/html]
Thanks for waiting. :] [html]

"Fiume," he nodded. It only took a few pronunciations and the youngster had it down. For some reason this language came quite natural to him. It was a welcomed relief, considering Sirius always seemed to be the one who was good at everything. Italian was something Apollo would hold onto, and hopefully become better than Sirius at.

The coast was pretty self explanatory and he nodded at her instructions. He mumbled the word under his breath, reassuring his memory as he gaze went to the next illustration. It was the mansion. He had told her casa, though she revealed it was castello for mansion. "Montagna for mountain," he said out loud, confirming what Savina told him. It was interesting to discover the appropriate words and names for these things that he saw in his everyday life. "Vento," he said, for the drawing of the wind. That made sense. It was like a vent – they had those in the house and they let air into the different rooms. He didn’t know it, but he had come to realize there were several cognates of English words in Italian.

"Thanks, Savina. I’m not sure if I’m a good drawer, but here ‘goes." Since Apollo was still a pup and not able to shift into an Optime form, he drug his paw in the dirt to sketch out images. They were rougher than Savina’s… and his youthful lack of skill was definitely evident. He drew only a few pictures. A coyote, a squirrel, a rather bad representation of a sunset, a book, and a moose. He grinned up at Savina, enjoying this scholarly game of Pictionary.

[/html]
[html]
Hey no problem. Real life stuff comes first always Smile
wc 455

Savina smiled back down at Apollo when he had finished, her green orbs beaming. She lightly stepped around to get a better look at what he had drawn. Some of the illustrations were a bit difficult to decipher, but Apollo was only a pup, and they were pretty good considering that fact. She thought the first picture looked like a coyote. "Is this one a coyote? The word for that is actually Coyote in Italian too." Next she looked at the picture of what could only possibly be a squirrel and the sable lady smiled. She probably would've found it even more amusing if she had known about Apollo's father's upbringing. "The word for squirrel is scoiattolo. Scoiattolo."

The next drawing she had to study for a while. It had been hard enough for her to draw an abstract concept, so she could understand why it would be difficult for the light pup. After a minute or so she came to the conclusion that it was perhaps a sunset. If she were wrong he could correct her. "I think that this is supposed to be a sunset. In Italian, sunset is tramonto. Tramonto." Apollo's next picture was a book, but Savina had to think for a moment about the word. It was not one she used often back in Italy, living as a normal wolf, but soon it came to her. "Ah yes, a book. Book is libro. Libro." The last drawing was that of a moose. The Pyxis always thought moose were funny looking creatures. She thought it must be their noses that made them look so silly. "Moose is alce. Alce."

The jet female gave her student some time to digest and store these new words to memory. The next exercise she wanted to try would be a bit more complicated, but she didn't want the youngster to get bored of just working on words. "Ok, for the next drawings I will do, I want to check on your verbs. All these pictures that I draw will be of wolves doing something. Then when it is your turn to draw again, you can either do words or verbs, whichever you want." The girl realized that drawing would probably be easier if she shifted, but it honestly scared her a bit. She had lived her entire life in the normal form. Not only that, but she didn't want to shift and show her incompetence in that form in front of her student. So she began to carefully draw her pictures in the dirt. The first was a wolf running, then one swimming, one jumping, one climbing, one howling, and then two playing. The ebony wolf stepped back to let her pupil study the images.

[/html]
428 words. Yay. [html]

He was surprised to find that the word for coyote was the same in Italian. He said coyote in his head anyways, as if trying to confirm that it was the correct pronunciation. He looked to the next picture – a squirrel – and grinned when Savina told him the word in Italian for this creature. "Scoiattolo means squirrel," he said aloud, then saying it once again in his head, mouthing the syllables as he did.

He moved with Savina as they looked to his next drawing. It was kind of horrible, but Apollo was thrilled that she had deciphered the concept he was trying to portray. The word for sunset was tramonto. Apollo repeated it aloud twice, before letting his eyes travel to the next illustration. "Libro is for book. Kinda like library," which supposedly they had in Shadowed Sun. His dad had mentioned it once on one of his trips to visit Apollo. Apparently it was an underground den hidden beneath the roots of a tree where they stored all of their books and reference guides.

Apollo laughed when they came to the last picture. He had only seen a moose in real life once, when he had been a little bit smaller too. It was a huge creature with a large rack of antlers on top of its head. It was probably the biggest living thing that Apollo had ever seen before. He marveled at its size before it offered a strange noise (sort of a bellow) and took of stampeding through the trees. The antlers on top of his illustrated moose’s head were uncharacteristically large and the picture made him giggle. "Alce," he said, trying to pronounce it just as Savina had. "Alce is for moose."

"Alright," Apollo replied as he watched Savina draw new images into the dirt. He grinned to himself, trying to figure out what the actions were while she finished drawing them. "‘Hokay, well, let’s see." He twisted his nose and studied the dirt, deciding on the word for the first one. "Quello è qualcuno che funziona," he replied in an Italian phrase. He smiled to himself, proud for having figured it out. "E quello è qualcuno nuoto nell'acqua." He hadn’t been swimming before, but he had seen others do it. "E saltare. E, uh, qualcuno che sia… l'OH, so, arrampicandomi!" He knew what the next drawing was illustrating, but wasn’t sure how to say it. "They’re howling, but I don’t know how in Italian. How do you say it? And then the last one the two of them are playing. Gioco."

[/html]
[html]
Let's maybe do one more round of the drawing and maybe close this thread up? Then we can have another where they work on conversations?

The dark colored femme was having a lot of fun helping Apollo learn more about her language. It was good practice for her as well, in case anyone else ever came to her wanting to learn Italian. It helped that the young light pup was already fairly knowledgeable. Once again in this new part of the game Savina was impressed with how much he already knew. She already had ideas for what they could do for their next learning session. All but one of the verbs he was able to say, and she smiled, happy that she would be able to instruct him in a word that was important to their kind. "Very good once again Apollo. The way you say howling in Italian is ululare. A way to say it in a phrase would be like this: i lupi ululano." Once again she took her time to annunciate the word carefully, making sure her young pupil would catch on.

Sable form sat back on her haunches and she place a paw on Apollo's back. "You're doing so well Apollo. I'm very pleased, and impressed. Now this time you can draw whatever you want to know. Words, verbs, whatever you can think of that you would like to know." She smiled down at the young wolf kindly. She felt good that she was able to help him learn these things that he wanted to. It made her feel important, like she was doing something that for him that he would be able to have his whole life.

[/html]
Sounds good. This thread is getting outdated. And I like that new table! 301 words.[html]

"Ululare," Apollo repeated, listening to Savina’s phrase. "Oh I see," he responded with a grin, glad that he was catching on and that he would now know how to say these words he hadn’t known before. He hoped that after more lessons with both Savina and Naniko, Apollo would be fluent in the language to an extent where he could elaborate on his words. Right now he new very basic sentences, but he hoped eventually he would be able to speak much more of the language.

"Alright, let’s see here." He had to think for a moment about what he did and didn’t know how to say. He tried to think of a basic conversation one may have, so he could try to identify words he didn’t know. He began drawing in the dirt, but only drew a few things. He would need to let what he had learned already sink in before they could continue much more of their lessons. He drew a solitary wolf and then a pack of wolves off to the side. He wanted to know what the Italians would call someone alone – an outlaw of sorts. Then the pup drew a very crude illustration of a mattress like the one he slept on in the manor. Lastly he drew a fish and smiled up at Savina to signal that he was finished.

He wondered if Sirius was continuing his lessons with Naniko. His brother had been learning both Italian and French, but Apollo never really took a likening toward French. It was too confusing for him and he didn’t like the way that the words sound. He knew that Sirius was proud for being able to speak more than Apollo, but he was happy himself that he knew more in Italian that his brother probably did.

[/html]
[html]
Thanks! Krystine made it!

When the lightly hued pup signaled that he was done with his drawings, the dark femme walked to take a closer look at them. There were only three, but it was understandable. They had covered quite a bit, and she was certain that his brain was getting a bit tired. Learning a language was hard work, and it took a while for new words and phrases to fully sink in. Once she was done instructing him on these last few things he wanted to know they would call it a day. Give him a chance to rest and absorb everything they had gone over.

It took a few moments for Savina to try and decipher what it was the young male wanted to know from his first drawing. For the abstract concept he was trying to portray, it was a very good effort, but she wasn't completely sure if she knew what he wanted or not. "I'm not completely sure, but I think you want to know the word for a loner? Un solitario is the Italian for loner." The last two pictures were easier to be sure of. "Mattress is materasso. Materasso. And in Italian, you call a fish, un pesce. Pesce."

Once again smiling at her pupil, she turned to him and patted him on the back with her paw. "Do you have any other questions for now Apollo? If not I think that will be good enough for today. You've done very well. Perhaps during our next lesson we can work on conversations. Would you like that?" The femme hoped that she had done a good job with this first exercise, and that the pup would want to learn more from her.

[/html]
Yay, done.[html]

"Yes, I was thinking of a loner," Apollo told Savina, proud of himself for having drawn something that she was able to decipher. He repeated the words she told him – "Un solitario. Un solitario. Materasso. Materasso. Pesce." His favorite was the word for fish. He liked the way it rolled on his tongue, forcing him to speak with an Italian accent. This language was delicious in his mouth.

"Thanks, Savina! This was fun. We should definitely start conversations in our next lesson. I really want to get good at Italian." So I can be better then Sirius is, he thought. He smiled up at her, grateful that she had offered him some help. "I’m gonna go play now." He informed her, giving her one last toothy grin, before turning and deciding to bound off down away from the manor’s white picket fence.

[/html]