standing outside the fire
[html]

Word Count → 304

The dusty-colored mongrel came upon the burned lands, four weary paws halting as he looked at the old destruction spread out ahead of him. Gnarled vegetation scrawled across the hills like the signature of a dying man, and the stink of sulfur wafted from the indentions of kettle lakes. Even the snow seemed darker as it lay on the devastation, ice destroying the little life that had struggled to bloom in the spring and summer months. Compared to the glory of the valley from where he’d traveled, the foothills were like hell.

Wayne shook his head slowly in sad wonder. He had no connection to this land—though unbeknownst to him many wolves in the region did—but it still depressed him irrationally to see the burnt territory. He’d traveled through regions after wildfires and knew that such a phenomenon actually made the forest healthier, but this wasn’t the same. This place stank of corruption and death and sorrow, and it took all his willpower to not simply turn back around into the Ichikan lands.

He padded carefully down one of the hills, his heavy footsteps on rock and snow all the louder for the silence choking these lands. Nothing existed here, nothing that breathed or spoke or sang. It was downright unnatural, and it made the young man more nervous than he would ever admit to anyone. His hackles stood on end as he leaped from one rock onto another, his claws scraping ice, but he regained his balance and made the jump to the next firm patch of ground. Slowly, he headed west, hoping to catch sight of anything besides deadfall and snow. Even a stream would be welcome, a babble of water to break the silence, the silver splash of fish to reassure him that these realms were not fully dead.

<style type="text/css">
.heatwavewayne .space {width:200px; height:70px; float:right;}
.heatwavewayne b {font-weight:bold; color:#fbdf75; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#0d0900 1px 1px 1px;}
.heatwavewayne p.ooc {text-align:center; text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; font-size:10px;}
.heatwavewayne p.ooc + p {padding:5px 15px;}
.heatwavewayne .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#fbdf75;}
.heatwavewayne p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 15px;margin:0px; text-shadow:#966e26 0px 0px 4px;}
.heatwavewayne {margin:5px auto; width:500px; background-color:#966e26; background-image:url(http://i39.tinypic.com/wk64jm.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding:5px 0px 160px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#0d0900; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}</style>[/html]
[html]

(587)
Hope you're still okay with replies. If not, we can make this a super!short thread? :3 Also, essentially, everything but the last paragraph can be skipped. Sorry! >_>

Ithiel is by Kitty!

It was not exceptionally rare for Ithiel to travel outside of the confines of Inferni. His cousin did not, and few other scouts seemed to take this duty seriously, so far as he could tell. The dusky coyote therefore took it upon himself to learn what he could of all these lands. He was a natural explorer, taking great pleasure in learning the ins and outs of the land he roamed. Inferni was no mystery to him; the granite-furred coyote had inspected every inch of the packlands that was open to him, including the unoccupied caves and some rooms of the D'Neville.

Human structures fascinated him, but also frightened him in a deep, far-away sort of way the dark coyote did not fully understand. It was not a fear of collapse or claustrophobia, but something deeper than that. This was why Ithiel had settled into the Grimwell caverns, vastly preferring his dank little cave to living with that constant sensation of discomfort. Today, however, he had taken to the north, passing as quietly as Lystra's heavy hooves would allow between the two pack borders and heading further north quickly, goading his liver chestnut to a canter.

It amazed him two packs could be so daft as to plant their borders quite so close to one another. Ithiel had no doubt these were wolf packs, for he had learned of Ichika no Ho-en through his half-brother, and he knew bits and pieces about Anathema. Both were mountain packs and both were wolf packs -- Ithiel simply awaited the day they would come down on Inferni. In truth, he'd traveled north to see just how far the Ichika claim extended. What he found dismayed him -- their claim was large, far larger than Inferni's own. Such a vast expanse of land certainly meant a large number of canines to defend it.

The land here was dead and dull -- even the sun seemed to have lost its rutilant glow. The cover, however, fit Ithiel and his horse rather well -- both were the colors of dirt and dust, and both blended with this long-dead land rather well, even with the snowfall. It was no ligher here than at home, and the sound of Lystra's hooves were deadened with it. She snorted, suddenly, and Ithiel straightened in his saddle. Zedekiah came swooping in to land on Ithiel's outstretched arm. The coyote shuddered with the impact and grimaced, looking at his vulture companion.

Dog, he muttered. Dog. Dog. Rockssss. Rocksss, he repeated. Ithiel slipped a piece of dried meat and offered it to the vulture, who gulped greedily. Show me, Ithiel commanded, and lifted his arm into the air, putting his heels into the big chestnut mare's sides. She started up faster and the bird took off with the added momentum, flapping his big wings lazily. The landscape changed faintly as they carried on toward the apparent dog, and the dark man saw him after a few moments riding.

Ithiel slowed his horse as they approached the rocky terrain, allowing the big mare to pick her own way through the boulders and pebbly areas. Hey, the man called. He did not see the stranger's apparent wolf heritage -- to Ithiel, this most certainly a dog. Live around here? he added, nonchalant as he could manage. Zedekiah swooped in and landed on a rock near Ithiel, bobbling his bare head at the stranger and grunting a few times, his usual greeting to anyone unfamiliar.

<style>
#ithielKitty {
font-family:'trebuchet ms', tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;
font-size:13px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#ithielKitty p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#ithielKitty p.sieImage {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
font-style:italic;
float:left; margin:5px;
}
#ithielKitty .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif
text-transform:none;
line-height:16px;
font-weight:normal; }
#ithielKitty .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#ithielKitty b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#ithielKitty u { text-decoration: underline; }
#ithielKitty b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#ithielKitty b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#ithielKitty b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

Word Count → 304

It'd suck for this to go to waste, so I don't mind. <3 I'm just tryin' to catch up on Wayne threads now. >> Is it weird I wanna hug Zedekiah?

Brown eyes stared morosely at the wasteland that did not seem to change even as the time and terrain passed him. He paused and sighed, wondering what there might be to gain from traveling out here, other than sating his own curiosity. He should have come riding one of the mares; at least then he would have a companion in this grim exploration of the burned territory. He wasn’t sure he would want either of them to walk across this dead earth and scent the dead wind, however, as he could almost imagine his toughened paw pads touching acid. The tang in the air was far different from the fresh mountain breeze of the lands he was guest to, ashen, heavy on his tongue like blood.

The shadow of a large bird was the only movement in the world besides the dry rustling of vegetation, and the mongrel’s eyes followed it disinterestedly as he continued to walk with an almost tired tread. He continued to move over the rocks dotting the foothills until a scent and a voice reached him. He paused, hackles stiff, but relaxed instantaneously as he saw the stranger mounted on a liver mare. They did not seem poised to attack, and he almost smirked as he saw the turkey vulture perched beside the coyote, the winged scavenger obviously not as unimportant as he had presumed.

Wayne’s instinct at this point was to shift, as he was normally on four legs only among his own pack and Dixie-May—but it would take time and effort he didn’t quite feel like spending, especially if this interaction would only last a short while. His change in shape might also be seen as a threat. It had been a while since he’d explored the neutral territories alone, so he wasn’t so used to the behavior of strangers, but he could only imagine how he might’ve acted in the other’s place.

“Nah,” the Labrador answered honestly, casually. “I live south—Casa di Cavalieri, ’round the Revenge and the beach.” He left it at that for now, but he didn’t mind elaborating if the other wanted to know what he was doing so far north. His own curiosity was up now, anyway, with the presence of the hulking bird and the powerful-looking mare he was suppressing the temptation to go greet. He lifted a shoulder. “I’ll take a guess and say yer from Inferni?” he asked with faint humor; the pack scent wafting toward him by this point was enough to keep his remark from being overly presumptuous.

<style type="text/css">
.heatwavewayne .space {width:200px; height:70px; float:right;}
.heatwavewayne b {font-weight:bold; color:#fbdf75; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow:#0d0900 1px 1px 1px;}
.heatwavewayne p.ooc {text-align:center; text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; font-size:10px;}
.heatwavewayne p.ooc + p {padding:5px 15px;}
.heatwavewayne .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#fbdf75;}
.heatwavewayne p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 15px;margin:0px; text-shadow:#966e26 0px 0px 4px;}
.heatwavewayne {margin:5px auto; width:500px; background-color:#966e26; background-image:url(http://i39.tinypic.com/wk64jm.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding:5px 0px 160px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#0d0900; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}</style>[/html]
[html]

(325)

Ithiel is by me!

The flaxen canine's immediate response was disappointing, though it did not show in Ithiel's face. There was no hostility in the dog's voice, and the dust-hued coyote was surprised to learn of a southern alliance for this one. Ithiel knew piteously little of Inferni's closest southern neighbor -- for all his scouting, he preferred to avoid the membership of packs. It was more interesting and easier for Ithiel to scout other pack's borders from a distance, determining by scent and approximation the size and strength of the group. He could not say whether the Cavalierians were entirely wolf or not, and he supposed it did not matter. This was a dog, not a wolf.

Yes, that's correct. Ithiel de le Poer, Vigiles -- scout, he said, introducing himself with ample information. Zedekiah is my bird -- he saw you first. This is Lystra, he said, indicating the big mare. Though the whites of her eyes showed and there was a peculiar tremble in her, the horse was behaving herself quite well. I did not expect to meet a neighbor this far north, he said, mildly. There was no smile on his lips, but this was friendliness, as far as Ithiel went -- he was not exceptionally outgoing in the first place. What brings you this way? There is not much to see, he said, swinging a hand wide to indicate the landscape.

It was not selcouth for Ithiel to behave in such a manner -- he was learning the ways of this land, and he had come to understand -- however slowly -- not everyone here intended harm. Encountering a wolf outside of Scintilla almost always ended in bloodshed, but here, Ithiel need not fear fighting from his fellow canines, regardless of their species. His experiences had made him wary, however, and the adjustment process slow. Perhaps he would rediscover the value of a well-timed smile, or perhaps it was lost to him forever.

<style>
#ithielSie {
font-family:'trebuchet ms', tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;
font-size:13px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#ithielSie p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#ithielSie p.sieImage {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
font-style:italic;
float:left; margin:5px;
}
#ithielSie .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif
text-transform:none;
line-height:16px;
font-weight:normal; }
#ithielSie .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#ithielSie b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#ithielSie u { text-decoration: underline; }
#ithielSie b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#ithielSie b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#ithielSie b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

Wayne realized as he stood and watched this man that he hadn’t had real dealings with coyotes before. He was quick to say that he put no stock in breed or species, as canines could interbreed so much that traits were bound to be muddled beyond recognition, but that was not wholly true. His perception of his own genes had changed since he started training with X’yrin, for he saw such capable fighting as largely wolf. His dog nature brought his familiarity with horses and other remnants of human life. Coyotes—coyotes he had little experience with, though his father had been quick to say they had no qualms about pulling down his sickly calves in the night.

The mongrel was inexperienced, though, and all he could do was watch and listen and develop his thoughts. He wasn’t as perceptive as Ithiel, who introduced himself as a scout, but that only meant his opinions would remain vague and unchanged until he grew keener. There was much still for him to learn and decide about the world; he hadn’t even seen his second spring yet.

During the introductions, he spared an appraising glance to the large horse. She looked like she’d need a firm hand in handling, but he could appreciate her for her size and strength; he simply wouldn’t want her in Casa, where there were still members inexperienced around the large animals. The turkey vulture was another matter, a dull bird but interesting among the more “attractive” raptors such as falcons and eagles. The dull-colored man knew that looks weren’t everything, though.

“I’m Wayne McCoy, stablemaster,” the Labrador replied in the same vein as the coyote. His own rank was of less importance than his unofficial but implied duty within the pack. “And—” He hesitated here, brown eyes sweeping over the burned region. He was not sure how much would be smart to reveal; he was a reserved luperci as it was, and he was especially cautious about information regarding his pack. He decided on a half truth, shrugging once more. “I was visitin’ a friend in Ichika. Decided to check this place out before I went back home.”

He chuckled slightly. “But you’re right, ain’t much to see. I’m almost afraid the land ’ll burn right up again.”

<style type="text/css">
.waygold b {font-weight:bold; color:#ec9030; font-size:16px; letter-spacing:0px; text-shadow:#1d0f02 1px 1px 2px;}
.waygold p:first-line {font-weight:bold; font-size:16px; letter-spacing:0px; text-shadow:#1d0f02 1px 1px 2px;}
.waygold p:first-letter {font-weight:bold; font-size:18px; letter-spacing:0px;}
.waygold .ooc {text-align:right; padding:5px 10px; font-family:verdana; font-size:11px;}
.waygold p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.waygold {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#643407; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Mvasm.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #1d0f02; border-radius:20px; padding: 350px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: garamond, sans-serif; font-size:15px; color:#1d0f02; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(378) My turn to be sorry! XD ♥ And sorry doubly for a rambly post. ._. First paragraph and second are essentially skippable. c:

Ithiel is by Raze!

His cousin had done some witchcraft to the chestnut mare to have altered her behavior so. Then again, so had Ithiel's behaviors around horses improved -- no longer did he constantly demand and push and pull from his horse, the dust-colored man now knew when to comfort her and when to push her harder. He also knew when her mood soured beyond his appeasement, though such a fit had not occurred since before Myrika's weeks with Lystra.

The man's title interested him, and Ithiel decided to slide down from the saddle. He hobbled his horse and let her go where she willed -- which, as it so happened, was nowhere. She stood and peered at Wayne with a mix of fear and curiosity in her brown eyes -- she could do no harm hobbled as she was, however, and Ithiel decided it was best to pay her no mind. Instead, he moved toward Zedekiah and offered the bird a chunk of dried meat. More interested in what the man had to say next, Ithiel half-turned toward his companion and frowned.

Ah. I would have expected an Ichikan rather than one of Casa di Cavalieri, way up here, the man said, shrugging and offering a smile. This one was forced -- Ithiel was not one well-versed in deceit, and his honor forbade lying and truly foul trickery. Nevertheless, the subject of the mountain pack interested him. Vesper and Ezekiel both had spoken on the subject of Ichika no Ho-en, and the dusky coyote was eager to obtain any useful information that might be delivered back to his Legatus ranks.

I expect these lands are a shock, after the famed beauty of the mountain pack's land. I was hoping to meet one of them and learn more of... anything, really, that goes on there, Ithiel offered, rolling his shoulders in a shrug. It was best to ask directly, he had decided -- it was less surreptitious, but it made his meaning and intent clear. My leaders spoke of a new reign, and I do not know how they look on coyotes. He frowned. The same can be said for Casa di Cavalieri, but your pack and my clan have had no issue, the dusty man said, shrugging.

<style>
@import url('http://sleepyglow.net/rp/post.css');
</style>[/html]
[html]

The dusty coyote mentioned Ichika with a strange smile, and Wayne nodded again. When the other man finally revealed his intentions in coming north, his expression opened slightly with interest. He was a candid and oftentimes blunt man; he had no reason to hide trivial things from a stranger. Of course, he would not reveal something that would put the pack he was guest to in danger, but he’d be more cautious with Casa secrets than Ichika ones. Besides, the other seemed somewhat concerned—if concern was the right word—about what the mountain pack thought of coyotes and probably Inferni by extension.

“X’yrin Exultare is their leader now,” the Labrador offered. “And Ichika as a whole seems t’ be openhearted ’n’ tolerant toward any breed or walk of life. I came to X’yrin for trainin’, and the lot of ’em have been nothin’ but courteous.” There was something else stirring in the pack, something he wasn’t quite sure about, but it had nothing to do with him or Ithiel.

A smirk creased his muzzle at mention of his own pack. “Right. Casa’s a bit like Ichika, but we fight for peace rather ’n jus’ pray for it. I hope there ain’t packs involved when it comes t’ fightin’, but I know we’d work hard to protect anyone who needs protection—coyote, wolf, dog.” His words trailed away, and he wondered if this would leave an impression on the de le Poer. He’d never been great with words, both with vocabulary and clarity and above all knowing what to say. He just hoped that Ithiel wouldn’t view Casa di Cavalieri as a threat, and that he might even remember them as protectors rather than simple warriors. Deep down, though, the cowboy kept to himself the thought that Casa would have no trouble marching against Inferni if they started terrorizing others. He prayed it’d never come to that.

mrr dunno what to write.

<style type="text/css">
.waygold b {font-weight:bold; color:#ec9030; font-size:16px; letter-spacing:0px; text-shadow:#1d0f02 1px 1px 2px;}
.waygold p:first-line {font-weight:bold; font-size:16px; color:#1d0f02; letter-spacing:0px; text-shadow:#1d0f02 1px 1px 2px;}
.waygold .ooc {text-align:right; padding:5px 10px; font-family:verdana; font-size:11px;}
.waygold {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#643407; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Mvasm.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #1d0f02; border-radius:20px; padding: 350px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: garamond, sans-serif; font-size:15px; color:#db9f5c; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

SLOW SIE IS SLOW SRY <3

Ithiel is by me!

The dust-colored coyote listened with interest at the male's description of the mountain pack. It did not jar with what Vesper had said at the meeting, he thought, and the man nodded slowly. He had no further questions, for he was not the sort of scout to spy and sneak his way into information. What he discovered by simply riding the length of a pack's borders at a respectful distance was plenty, and this added tidbit would serve him well enough.

As the dog continued regarding his own pack, the dark man tilted his head, his red-hued eyes brightening with interest. This principle was one he understood well, and he nodded enthusiastically (at least, as far as Ithiel's enthusiasm went, which was not very far). Thank you. I don't need to know much else, the coyote said. Your pack's ways are one I understand well. God favors those who do His work best, not those who simply pray for His assistance. Sometimes it's necessary to fight for a belief, especially one like peace, the man said. It was uncharacteristic of the hybrid to mention prayer and his beliefs in such a forthright manner, but the subject had been broached with the word prayer. Ithiel understood this word well and had zeroed in on it.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

There was a flicker of something in the coyote’s reddish eyes, and he seemed to latch onto one element of his speech: that of faith. It was not something that Wayne was used to discussing, but rather than be put off by the other’s mention of God, he found his ears pricking and his tail swaying lightly behind him. He was glad that Ithiel had found what information he needed out of what Wayne had supplied him, too.

His next words were hesitant ones, as they went beyond simple trading of information about packs; he’d only nodded when the other confirmed what all he needed to know. “My parents taught me their faith, but… I’ve fallen out of practicin’ it. Guess I still think the same way, since I talk about prayers an’ follow the ideals, but it’s been a while since I met another man of God.” He hadn’t really approached the others in his pack about it, and he and Dixie hadn’t had time for much praying on the road. Honestly, he wasn’t sure what she deeply believed other than what they saw and experienced together on their long journeys.

He didn’t really know else to say or ask, but standing across from this coyote and horse in these burned lands brought back some of the passages read to him and the safe feeling of his parents. He’d abandoned them at a young age to travel, and while he didn’t regret any of it, he still wondered. He lifted a paw and nibbled a pebble from between the pads, not sure what else he expected to hear from this stranger; it might be time to head back to Ichika and leave the wasteland behind.

raze loves sie, and awkward wayne is awkward.
i'm still trying to develop him and shizz. xD

<style type="text/css">
.waygold p:first-line {font-weight:bold; font-size:16px; color:#1d0f02; letter-spacing:0px; text-shadow:#1d0f02 1px 1px 2px;}
.waygold {margin:0px auto; width:500px; background-color:#643407; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Mvasm.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #1d0f02; border-radius:20px; padding: 350px 0px 3px 0px; font-family: garamond, sans-serif; font-size:15px; color:#db9f5c; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(309)
Can end here if want or you can reply again or we can keep going or whatevsss broskies

Ithiel is by Raze!

The dark-furred coyote was one of almost ritualized practices, but they were not very obvious, from the looks of him. Ithiel prayed nightly before he slept, and each morning as he arose. These prayers were always whispered in the private confines of his own abode, however, and few -- none, perhaps -- had witnessed this behavior of him. Ithiel preferred it this way, for he was not one to proselytize his beliefs to others. Everyone had a path to walk, and he could no more sway them than he could change the direction of the wind on a whim.

The dark hybrid nodded -- he understood this. Time and distance could easily erode a man's faith, in the same way the realities of the world might. Scintillan beliefs took precautions against such things, but even then it was not altogether preventable. You might never have known. I don't talk about faith much, he began, tilting his head back and considering how to best phrase such a thing without causing offense to the blonde dog. Everyone's faith is their own, I guess, is what I mean, he said, shrugging his shoulders. The drab-colored coyote intended it as reassurance, for the man before him seemed uncertain. This was as far as Ithiel would go, however, unless the dog pressed him for more information.

I don't want to hold you up, the Caelum said, nodding his sharply-angled coyote head as the dog bent to pull a pebble. It'd probably be best for both of us if we avoid spending so much time in this place. Perhaps I'll see you again, in the south? the coyote offered, even as he turned back toward his horse. His gaze lingered on Wayne a moment, and the briefest hint of a smile passed over his lips before he mounted up.

<style>
</style>[/html]