[aw: prompt] the blackest sea
[html]

(859) First thread prompt for March: Common whale species in Nova Scotia include the Fin, Right, Minke, and Humpback whales. Although these creatures would be difficult for a Luperci to hunt, it is possible. Alternatively, perhaps a whale has beached itself on or near Salsola's territory. Whales are useful for meat, oil, and bones: your character should nab the assistance of as many Salsola canines as possible for this task, as it's likely to be a very large undertaking.

Kinda follows/is concurrent to (mature for gore) this thread. :3 They're at the stage where they're boiling and frying all the things to obtain oils. The tl;dr of this thread is that Miqui and Gjalda are unloading from the cart and will depart/return in intervals. Darijus and Eris are boiling/frying meat and blubber over the fire to get oil, Draugr is cutting the meat into smaller chunks.

Non-mandatory and open to as many Salsolians as wish to participate, but please note: post order is enforced, as is a skip policy. After five days, if the person whose turn it is has yet to reply, please skip them! If you've been skipped, please do not post again until it is your turn.

The sable-shaded woman saw thick smoke rising on the horizon. This did not indicate an emergency to Eris; she recognized the place where the fire burned as within the Millstone Village, and believed the fire to be a controlled one. Nonetheless, she made her way toward the pillar of smoke, primarily out of curiosity. As she drew nearer, there was a scent upon the air -- faintly moschate, but certainly the smell of cooking meat. Lots of it. The hybrid's curiosity became even stronger, and she moved toward the source of the smoke, spying several canines standing around it, along with the larger of Salsola's pair of horsecarts.

As she drew nearer, she recognized Miqui, Darijus, and Draugr moving about the fires. Miqui seemed to be unloading massive pieces of meat from the cart, and Eris trotted toward them, finding the scene irresistable. Darijus shifted pots and pans about, while Draugr used an oversized knife in a strange shape to cut thick pieces of white flesh from the meat, tossing them into the pots hanging over the fire and the oversized pan Darijus held. Eris surveyed the scene for a moment -- only Darijus faced her, and only the crippled slave took note of her, though he dared not speak. His eyes remained glued to his task after he'd glanced her coming toward them. What's this? she asked, cocking her head.

Miqui turned from the cart with a piece of meat draped over both his arms, and he let it slide to the ground before Draugr, straightening up. The man smiled and inclined his head toward his Auxiliary. Lo siento for not greeting you proper, Eris, he said, fanning his arms to indicate his blood-spattered form. I am a mess. Tlantli find whale, to the north of Salsola. She carves it, I bring first load back, he explained, grinning broadly. There was clear pride in his tone, but Eris did not understand -- she tilted her head to one side and looked at Draugr, who quickly turned her attentions back to her carving of the meat.

Whale? To eat? she said, wrinkling her note. She had never tried such a thing before, but if it was possible and good, she supposed it was worthwhile. Surprisingly, it was the Bambino rank who spoke up. Eris had given Draugr her task for an adult rank, but the deep brown youth had yet to complete the task. Now was not the time for such inquiries, however -- there was no point in shaming the girl in front of Miqui.

Oil, miss Eris, she said, quietly. Oil can be used for many things -- lamps, candles. Wool, the youngster said, never lifting her eyes from her cutting. The meat can be eaten, yes, but the oil is very valuable, as Miqui tells it, the youth said. Eris considered her a moment, and turned back to Miqui, indicating the cart with a nod of her head.

There is more to bring back? At his affirmative nod, Eris smiled herself. How much?

Three, four carts. Maybe five, he said, hesitating. I do not know how much... insides whale have, he said, rubbing his stomach to indicate his intestines. Never whale so big as this one in Barbados. Mostly small -- ah, how you say -- delfín? he said, grasping for the English word.

Dolphin, Eris supplied, nodding her understanding. Well, if it's quite so much work, the rest of Salsola should assist us, no? To work, my dears, she declared, indicating the last word for the ranked members of her pack. Darijus did not qualify as a dear, and had remained steadfast in his task anyway.

The dark woman stepped back and lifted her head, summoning the available canines of Salsola with a howl -- she might send some to carve the whale with Tlantli, or she might leave that task to the hybrid alone. Gjalda appeared shortly thereafter, bearing a bag full of empty jars, the utility knife kept in the shed, and a jar of salt. He gave the bag over to Draugr and moved to help Miqui unload the wagon. In the end, Eris commanded Gjalda to go with Miqui and help Tlantli. For her part, Eris grabbed a pan and stuck it over the fire, taking the white slices of fat from Draugr as the youth cut them. For one ranked as a child, she seemed to possess an adult's mannerisms and abilities -- her cutting hand was steady enough, after all, and she supplied pieces of blubber rather quickly.

When Molcaxitl appeared, drawn by her mistress's summons, Eris bid the woman take the pan she had used to fry the first batch of blubber, and listened to Draugr instruct the woman to pour only cooled liquid into the jars, separating any remaining chunks of meat and blubber to be reheated. Miqui and Gjalda departed soon after that, leaving Eris, Darijus, Molcaxitl, and Draugr alone around the fire. Eris engaged the youth in conversation then, questioning her regarding an adult rank. It was safe to do so around slaves, especially one without a tongue and one belonging to Eris herself.

Eris is by Alaine!

<style>
#alaineErisLup {
font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;
font-size:14px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#alaineErisLup p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#alaineErisLup p.sieImage {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
font-style:italic;
}
#alaineErisLup .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif;
text-transform:none;
font-weight:normal; }
#alaineErisLup .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#alaineErisLup b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#alaineErisLup u { text-decoration: underline; }
#alaineErisLup b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#alaineErisLup b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#alaineErisLup b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

Word Count » 000 OOC

angels watching over me with smiles upon their face

Odessa had been some ways away when she heard Eris' call, but never the less the medic gathered her belongings with a gracefully swiftness and mounted her horse. Today, she was using Remy for, while it was now spring, it was still quite cold and Odessa found that some of the earth was still hard. Keshi was small footed and sometimes unstable, the medic would risk his well being however and so the sure footed Hispano Breton was her first choice. While the strawberry horse was large and stable, he lack the speed the pied gelding had and so Odessa arrived to Eris later than she would have riding Keshi, though the difference was hardly noticeable.

Odessa dismounting Remy and tied him up a small walk away so that he wouldn't be any trouble to find again, and made her way towards the small group. Her pumpkin eyes trailed over them. Draugr cutting the meat, Miqui and Gjalda unloading the cart and Darijus and her aunt boiling some kind of meat over a fire. The medic walked over to the dark coated Auxiliary, turning to regard her after considering the meat and blubber in the pan. 'What are you doing? Is there anything I can assist you with?' she asked gently, still slightly shy in front of a group, as Imhotep's scent hung thickly around her and after being single for so long being attached felt different.

'cause I have made it through this far in an unforgiving place
<style>
.odessa-txt3 {font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height:20px; letter-spacing:-.5px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 25px; padding:0px 0px 5px 0px; margin:5px auto; width:500px; }
.odessa-txt3 .inner {}
.odessa-txt3 .ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:tahoma, verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:justify; margin:5px auto; width:100%;}
.odessa-txt3 .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold; font-style:normal;}
.odessa-txt3 p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.odessa-txt3 b {color:#cc8686; letter-spacing:1px; }
.odessa-txt3 i {color:#cc8686; letter-spacing:1px; }
.odessa-txt3 u {text-decoration: none; border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; font-style:italic; font-variantConfusedmall-caps;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(531) Larkspur can go help cut stuff, but I wanted to have him come here first.

It seemed that fate had smiled upon Salsola. Magnolia had been returned to them in exchange for the odd puppy her mother had taken in. That had been a laughable deal to Salvia; it was obvious to her that Magnolia was the more valuable of the two, and the mountain pack were fools for valuing a lesser life. Of course, she hardly had time to worry about the politics of the outside world. Ten new lambs had been born, and Salvia was immensely thankful for her father’s presence. The eldest D’Angelo was well versed in the sheep, and he helped her mark them. This was a process he had begun with the flock from last summer; twin notches were cut into the mewling lamb’s ears, imitating the Hand of Eris’ extended lines.

For the past week the duo had been working in tandem, swapping off the endless duty of guarding the flock. Larkspur sometimes brought her brother, Basilaris, along. At nearly three months, he was a gangly boy that reminded Salvia of Pandemic. She favored him over her sisters because of his sex; as a male, he was more valuable to her. None of her sisters had proven themselves at all useful, remaining quiet things that showed little potential. This displeased Salvia greatly, and she often refused to visit her mother when they were around.

They had been made aware of something going on when, upon returning to the stable, both cart horses were gone. Rowan was waiting for them, and took Basilaris despite his protests. The pale girl empathized with his desire to see what the adults were doing, but knew he would only end up underfoot. Larkspur closed the gate to the sheep’s pasture. While the animals were taken out to graze in the early morning, by afternoon they were penned. After losing several animals to bold predators, they no longer allowed them to graze without supervision. At the barn they were safer; the stink of wolves kept even the boldest animals away.

Eris’ call rose above the forest, and both wolves lifted their ears to the sound. “Let’s go see what yer mother wants,” Larkspur grunted. Though his wording might have been odd to others, Salvia was used to his referral of Eris as “your mother”. It was apparent that there was a tension between her parents, but this was not a new development. The Arbiter snorted in agreement, and on their own two legs, they traveled towards the source of the call.

It was apparent they had arrived late. A group was already gathered, consisting of two slaves, Eris, Odessa, and the foreign girl, Draugr. It did not surprise Larkspur that his sister was not present; he had seen her leaving the territory with Siv, both riding northbound. They did this often, collecting odds and ends from the city and whatever sort of things women of magic did. Larkspur wasted little time in advancing towards Eris, greeting her with a lingering touch that spoke of their mateship. In public, one would hardly be able to see any friction between them. Odessa had asked the obvious question, so he remained quiet, orange eyes focused on his mate alone.

<style>
#sal-tiger {
font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;
font-size:14px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#sal-tiger p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#sal-tiger p.anatole-img {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
float:right; margin:5px;
}
#sal-tiger .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif;
text-transform:none;
font-weight:normal; }
#sal-tiger .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#sal-tiger b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#sal-tiger u { text-decoration: none; border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; }
#sal-tiger b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

(848)
Whoever can powerplay Miqui returning soonish! First four paragraphs can be skipped. ._. Sorry. DRAUGRomg.

Eris is by James!

You haven't finished your Cueponi task, the coyote began, even as she began heating another pan over the fire. Draugr continued to cut, methodically. Her lavender-hued eyes did not lift from the task, and her silence was, at first, taken as an insult by the coal-furred Auxiliary. She was readying herself to admonish the child, perhaps by stating there was no need for an answer, for her maturity was plain, but Eris was strugging with the wording of this counterinsult when the youth spoke up, her voice quiet.

I am not ready to be an adult yet, she admitted. An adult should be skilled and ready to serve. I'm not skilled enough yet, and I can't be ready to serve until I am more skilled. I'm sorry, she said, and her voice seemed genuine to the coal-hued woman, who was surprised enough she almost let the pan slip from her hand and into the fire. She steadied it with another hand and took a moment to absorb and contemplate the younger woman's words. Finally, she shrugged.

I suppose I see the sense in that. What do you want to learn? Your mother is skilled in arts of leather-working. I've never seen white leather before. The pale material was Eris's favorite garment, and she was often seen trotting around the ruins in it, but she rarely wore it anywhere with the potential to damage the item -- white dirtied easily, and the hybrid wished for longevity from her garment. She twitched an ear and heard the distant sounds of hoofbeats, surely an approach.

Draugr's answer was quicker this time. I know how to make a pelt or a piece of leather, but it's not fun. The garden is interesting. Plants, the Bambino said, a grin apparent on her dark muzzle. I want to learn how to bring babies into the world, too. Not my own, she added quickly, making a face. Mama Siv says, the Moðir women in the Hearg helped birth and raise all the children in the pack. I want to do that, she said. This answer, too, surprised Eris, and she did not know what to say in response -- thankfully, she was spared, as Odessa made her presence known, along with Salvia and Larkspur -- who had traveled on foot, it seemed, for the dark woman heard only one set of hooves.

The dark-hued woman made ready to answer, though she spared a moment for Larkspur all the same prior to verbalizing her response. There was a whale felled to the north of Salsola. Miqui says we can use the fat for oil, for lamps and candles, and for wool -- I don't know how to use it, but if it's useful, we want it, of course, the woman said, grinning. Even if Salsola had no use for whale oil, perhaps it had trade value -- Miqui and Tlantli would not have wasted their time otherwise, she thought. At least, she trusted the former -- and Miqui had seemed adamant in his purpose. Miqui has the cart, and he's gone to fetch another load. Gjalda went with him to help Tlantli with the carcass. We're... what was the word? Ah, you know -- explain it to them, Draugr. You heard Miqui speak longer than me, the dark woman said, lifting a hand from the pan to wave it at her dismissively.

Extracting, Draugr supplied, taking up the process where Eris left off. Extracting oil. The blubber gives the best kind, Miqui sir says, but the meat can provide some, too. Whatever is left-over after we take the oil from the meat can help fertilize the garden or maybe a pasture? The smaller hybrid had stopped her cutting for a moment to watch Molcaxitl begin to pour the first cooled batch of oil -- the purer kind -- into a jar. She looked at Salvia questioningly with the suggestion of the pasture, however, for she did not know if such things were appropriate for soil meant for horses and sheep. Miqui sir says they used great big pots and pans in Barbados, wherever that is. But he said these little ones will work, too. We just cook it like any other meat, until it goes liquid, no chunks. Some pieces will stay no matter what. Then we use the oil, like miss Eris says.

Or trade it, Eris said, grinning. Do whatever suits you -- help cut, we have a spare knife. Or take a pan, the Auxiliary said, smiling. Her Salsolians were always eager to help, but she was not a commander to delegate specific individual tasks -- whatever suited them suited her. Draugr had gone back to cutting, her pale amethyst eyes returning to the slices of meat and fat before her. Eris's pan was nearly ready to be passed to Molcaxitl, who had finished filling two jars with the first pan. Are there any larger things we can use to hold it? she said, frowning. She feared they'd run short on jars.

<style>
@import url('http://sleepyglow.net/rp/post.css');
</style>[/html]