Back to the basics
[html]

`` D I S T U R B I A
nothing heard, nothing said, can’t even speak about it; on my life, on my head, don’t wanna think about it

ooc; Word count: 302 // +3 points
Setting: Mid-morning, around 1000 in the library.

The library: it had been a long time since he’d set foot in one. The last time he’d been lucky enough to see one was long ago one his journey to ‘Souls. Despite not being able to read as well as he would like, he could pick out enough from the dusty books to make some sense of what was going on. The feeling of being taken away from the stress of everyday life was incredible, and it was sorely missed by the tundra wolf. So when he had discovered Anathema’s library, he nearly toppled over himself in joy. Unfortunately, it was lacking. There were only a few books, some writing utensils, and two lonely torches for light. Though disappointed, Alduin would make the best of it. It was his duty now to learn and record and fill this place with the knowledge of the pack.

So it was with a grin on his face that he gathered what supplies he could from the shelves and set himself at a table. It had been a while since he’d written anything, and now was as good a time as any to brush up on his skills. He set to work with the simplest of writing basics: the alphabet. He had learned from children’s books back in Alaska when he had made secret trips into what was once known as Anchorage. Carefully, he wrote out each individual letter across a scroll, both capital and lower case. He even began to hum the old song he’d heard in an abandoned classroom that helped him figure out what each letter was. It felt so childish, but it was the only way he’d learned how to get it done. So he shrugged and continued his practice. Better to know it this way than no way at all.

release me from this curse i’m in; trying to maintain, but i’m struggling. put on your pretty lies, you’re in the city of wonder

template by revo. <3

[/html]
[html]
<style>@import url(http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Kristi);</style>Aoi Itou
So take these words, some good advice
All you've done gonna come back twice
You never cared how much it hurt, I really need to tell you
Word Count :: 356

Books had always intrigued her. When she’d first seen the library, Aoi had been amazed. She’d wanted nothing better than to properly educate herself - reading, writing, the works. But that was impossible. Hardly anyone knew these things, and even if they did, she was too shy, too cautious to ask them to teach her. But, how much she wanted a teacher. She instead contented herself with often spending her days just touching the books in the library. Smelling their musky scent, turning battered and worn pages just to be able to feel them. Sometimes she just looked at the pictures, if they had any. Lately she’d grown fond of art, having acquired a pencil and paper; art was something you could do without being taught. But Aoi still wished to be able to write, and read.

And so today she had come into the library once more, for another day of peace and quiet. Or not so quiet, with Saigai, her crow, flanking her. She was dressed in her usual baggy hoodie and trackies, and the crow sat in her hood, squawking every so often. Aoi… he asked suddenly, as they entered the library. Hm? she asked back. Strange man…sit…he there. said Saigai in broken high speech. Aoi blinked, surprised, to see a little desk set up, a wolf sitting at it. Curiously, she pretended to just be walking past him, instead sending a look over his shoulder as she did. He was writing! Aoi felt a mixture of feelings upon seeing him write the letters; curiosity, amazement, and jealously. In fact, she forgot completely she was pretending to walk past him, and instead practically hovered over his shoulder silently. She insisted to herself about being silent, but Saigai, of course, ruined it for her. What you do? asked the crow, clicking his beak together. Aoi rolled her eyes, pulling the bird from her hood to place him on her shoulder. She stood to the left, a bit, to make sure she wasn’t invading the wolf’s personal space, and waited for him to react to Saigai’s question.

Image courtesy of Majikdragon

<style>
.SS15141211_AoiItou .ooc {font-size:12px; font-style:italic;}
.SS15141211_AoiItou p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.SS15141211_AoiItou b {font-family:verdana; color:#51859b; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.SS15141211_AoiItou {background-color:#595959; font-family:verdana; font-size:10px; color:#292929; line-height:12px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/2086/atab6.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:200px 0px 5px 0px; border:5px solid #292929; margin:0 auto; border-radius:18px; -moz-border-radius:18px; -webkit-border-radius:18px; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.SS15141211_AoiItou .name {text-align:left; font-family:Kristi; color:#79b4d3; font-size:100px; text-shadow:#2a3036 1px 1px 1px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; line-height:50px;}
.SS15141211_AoiItou .lyrics {text-align:left; font-family:braggadocio; color:#1d5c79; font-size:15px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; padding:6px 0px 0px 0px; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:2px;}
.SS15141211_AoiItou .ooc {text-align:left; font-family:verdana; color:#000000; font-size:9px; text-shadow:#2a3036 0px 0px 0px;border-bottom:2px dotted #000000;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>
[/html]
[html]

`` D I S T U R B I A
nothing heard, nothing said, can’t even speak about it; on my life, on my head, don’t wanna think about it

Word count: 382 // +3 points

There was an odd feeling that had crept up behind him. It made his hair stand on end and body begin to ready itself for a fight. His ears shot up, swiveling backward slightly to listen for what might be trying to sneak its way to where he was. He heard light breathing, but nothing about it seemed threatening. Had the intruder wished him harm, he certainly would have been locked in battle by now; and, upon hearing the broken speech of a bird, he was certain he was not under attack. So, he finished the last letter of the alphabet before turning in his chair to greet the stranger. He found it strange that the small wolf before him had yet to speak, but stranger still that they were dressed. What was it with the wolves of ‘Souls and being clothed? For the life of him, he would never understand.

I am simply brushing up on my reading and writing, friend,” he explained. “It has been too long since I’ve done so, and I feared it might have been lost to me. Luckily, my memory did not fail me.

He smiled kindly as he gestured to the scroll on the table. He was still a little rusty, but practice makes perfect. He was proud of his work, though. He hadn’t come across many wolves that had taken the time to read and write like he had. It was a pity, really. There was so much knowledge to be gained from it! It was unfortunate, and he had high hopes that the wolf before him knew anything about the art.

Do you know how to read and write?” he asked hopefully.

Honestly, he doubted it. He’d asked the question to many wolves, but the answer was usually the same. They had no time for, or they didn’t feel like it was necessary to live a fulfilling life, or even that they just didn’t care for it at all. The very idea of it was appalling to him, but everyone was allowed their own opinion so he let them go without a lecture. He waited anxiously for the wolf’s answer, hoping that if they did not know how, they would, at the very least, be willing to let him teach it to them.

release me from this curse i’m in; trying to maintain, but i’m struggling. put on your pretty lies, you’re in the city of wonder

template by revo. <3

[/html]
[html]
<style>@import url(http://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Kristi);</style>Aoi Itou
Word Count :: 324

Aoi felt like she shouldn’t be there. Like she was invading on someone’s privacy. Her ears fell flat against her head, certain the wolf was about to shout at her or something, but then his answer was calm and collected. The girl exhaled a small amount of air, making it look natural, and realised the stranger’s answer couldn’t have pleased her more. Not only could he write, he could read too! It was more than she could have hoped for. Although it seemed like he wasn’t that confident in it yet, he still sounded like he knew what he was doing. The astonishment and excitement was evident on Aoi’s face as she crept a little closer; it was clear how intrigued she was. The Itou girl just couldn’t believe her luck. Oh. Wow..that’s…wow.

His following question had her face fall. No, she didn’t, and she didn’t like to admit it either. Suppose he didn’t want her near him if she couldn’t? Suppose he thought her stupid? Aoi bit her muzzle and held her tongue for a second or two, thinking of some witty excuse, but finally she decided to be honest with him. No..I cant. I can only draw. desperately, she thought of something else to say before the conversation went stale. So she said what first popped into her mind. But, I’ve been wanting to learn…for ages. Writing, reading, it just seems so.. she gazed down at his parchment, and it was clear, with the expression on her little face, that no physical words could describe just how much she loved the idea of literature. And then her brown eyes went wide; maybe the stranger could teach her? She’d ask, perhaps. If she could pluck up the courage. I’m Aoi. she managed, running a finger through her fur, biting the edge of her sleeve.

<style>
.SS15141211_AoiItou p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.SS15141211_AoiItou b {font-family:verdana; color:#51859b; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; margin:5px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.SS15141211_AoiItou {background-color:#595959; font-family:verdana; font-size:10px; color:#292929; line-height:12px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/2086/atab6.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:200px 0px 5px 0px; border:5px solid #292929; margin:0 auto; border-radius:18px; -moz-border-radius:18px; -webkit-border-radius:18px; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.SS15141211_AoiItou .name {text-align:left; font-family:Kristi; color:#79b4d3; font-size:100px; text-shadow:#2a3036 1px 1px 1px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; line-height:50px;}
.SS15141211_AoiItou .lyrics {text-align:left; font-family:braggadocio; color:#1d5c79; font-size:15px; text-shadow:#000000 1px 1px 1px; padding:6px 0px 0px 0px; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:2px;}
.SS15141211_AoiItou .ooc {text-align:left; font-family:verdana; color:#000000; font-size:9px; text-shadow:#2a3036 0px 0px 0px;border-bottom:2px dotted #000000;}
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>
[/html]
[html]

`` D I S T U R B I A

Word count: 352 // +3 points

The she-wolf’s behavior had Alduin somewhat confused. She appeared far too shy and unsure of anything for his liking, and he wondered if he had done something to startle the young girl. He was concerned, but after she spoke it appeared that he had the solution to his problem. The twinkle in her eyes and the fascination painted across her face did not go unnoticed, and Alduin couldn’t help but think that he’d found a student at last. He smiled wide, and lifted himself from the chair after she introduced herself. Then, with the grace of a crane, he lowered himself into the deepest bow he could fathom.

My dearest lady,” he greeted her as he lifted himself from the bow. “It is an honor to make your acquaintance. You may call me Alduin.

He took a few steps back from her as he waved a welcoming hand over the desk. He hoped with everything in her heart that she would be just as impatient as he was to start learning the art of literacy. The table waited for Aoi silently, and a fresh scroll had already been placed down for additional practice. The pencil he’d been using before lay at the edge of the desk, sharp and ready to go. Alduin smiled again as he kneeled to the ground beside the table, hoping to make things more comfortable for the girl. He already towered over her enough as it was.

Might I be so bold as to ask that you take a seat? So long as you are willing to learn, I find myself more than eager to teach.

He looked at her expectantly, his eyes searching for any sign of hesitation or fear. He’d taught a few others what he knew before, and all they had done was accept his offer then run. They worried that learning such things would make them closer to how the humans had been, and none of them dared continue their lessons. He had high hopes for Aoi, though. Perhaps this one time he would finally have a dedicated student to take under his wing.

template by revo. <3

[/html]
[html]
Word Count :: 378

The wolf was something of a stranger to her, but already she found herself warming up to his charming smile and etiquette manner. A blank expression soon turned to an amused one as he leapt from his chair and proceeded to bow - yes, bow! - to her! The femme let her eyelids flutter for a second or two, quite taken aback by his show of honour. In a humorous, yet good natured way she responded to his bow with a hyperbole of a curtsy, lifting up her hoodie as if she was wearing a dress, her expression curious yet none the less amused.

She was especially taken with the way he spoke. He pronounced his words perfectly; like her, except he seemed to talk what she would call old fashioned. Still, she liked his style, and straightened herself up with a grin. Why, thank you, Alduin, sir! she responded, her tail wagging excitedly. And already she could see where this meeting was going. Already, he was preparing the desk; a clean sheet of paper, a sharpened pencil, and a seat that looked like it was made for her to sit at. Still, however much she realised what he wanted her to do, she couldn't contain her response when he finally explained to her in words. Oh, oh...really?! she found herself stammering. I mean, I really couldn't... she trailed off, her eyes glued to the table.

But it seemed to please him as much as it did her. Reading and writing must be all she imagined it to be! The doe-eyed femme, without another word, quickly hopped upon the seat and sat down. Unfortunately, seeing as she was still a child, her nose only just reached the desk, so she ended up on her knees- just like Alduin was on the floor - perched upon the chair. All too eagerly, she took hold of the pencil, and spread out the paper. What was next? Without a second thought, she glanced towards her teacher for explanation. Surely she was meant to do something, although what was the question. Her free hand distractedly ran through her thick hair for a second or two before relaxing, palm down on the table. She needed to concentrate if she were to succeed.

<style>
[/html]
[html]

`` D I S T U R B I A

Word count: 372 // +3 points

Alduin couldn’t help but let out a good-natured laugh. The girl was already proving to be everything he sought in a student: energetic, eager, and passionate. He had high hopes for her, and wondered if she would allow him the honor of being her teacher from now on. The thought was nice, but he wouldn’t have his answer until after the lesson. So for now, he busied himself with watching her take her seat with gusto and anxiously awaiting his instruction. He was quick to begin, and took hold of a pencil for himself as he spoke.

We will start with the most important aspect of writing: the alphabet,” he stated. “It consists of twenty-six letters which are the basis for any and all words. Without it, you cannot possibly accomplish anything in the literary arts.

He placed the tip of his pencil on a separate sheet of paper and slowly wrote out the first three letters in both uppercase and lowercase. The task was simple, but vital to understanding everything else she would come across.

From left to right, the pairs read ‘A’, ‘B’, ‘C’,” he explained as he pointed to each. “The larger letter is called a capital or uppercase letter, and its smaller companion is known as a lowercase letter. I’ll explain their meaning later. For now, try to recreate these letters on your paper in both upper and lowercase. Take your time, and don’t fret about how they turn out.

He chuckled as he recalled his first attempts at writing. Holding a pencil had been such an awkward thing for his massive paws to manage. It was a wonder that Aoi was able to grasp the utensil with such ease, but it made Alduin believe that she would be nothing short of an amazing writer one day.

No matter what, I must admit that I am already feeling rather proud of you,” he said kindly. “I have never seen anyone express such enthusiasm for learning than you.

He fell silent now, knowing that she would need the quiet to concentrate on her task. The first attempt was always the hardest, and he braced himself for any frustration she might convey on her endeavor.

template by revo. <3

[/html]
[html]
Word Count :: 395

The girl was very much eager to learn basically anything she could. She loved the whole idea of what she was about to do, and could not contain the excitment running through her veins. With this knowledge, she could pass it on to her children, and them their children, and wolves would eventually become more literate than ever before. She hated the fact that writing books was a dead hobby, that died along with the humans come the virus, and so there were no modern books as of yet. But, this could change. Aoi was an optimist, and her mind, anything could happen. And among other advantages, she couldn't forget to remember the fact she was now an Anzu; so writing and reading would help her dearly with that too. After all, wolves were naturally hunters, it was the humans that had been farming and herding, and so she probably needed to learn most of her knowledge from old, educational books.

Ok. responded the Itou girl to his explanation of the alphabet. It seemed simple enough at first. The alphabet was important, 26 letters, and was what made writing and reading what it was. This was what her quick mind had gathered so far. Hmm. she said then, watching his fingers as he pointed to each letter, reading off a couple as he went along. She seemed to understand the general gist of it; after all, how hard could it be? I'll..give it a try. confirmed the youngling, holding the pencil as if was an extension of her arm rather than an inanimate object. Her fingers were far from dainty, but she'd drawed plenty of times before, and was familiar with the object.

Quickly she took pencil to paper and begun on the letter A. It was simple, or at least, seemed simple, but her writing went all wobbly and large, taking up a large corner of the page. It almost seemed ironic that at that moment, Alduin complimented her. She grinned bashfully, looking up at him as if he had said something stupid. I'm nothing to be proud of. she commented quietly, and then set to work again, each wobbly letter seeming to grow bigger and more crooked the father along in the alphabet she got along. Hopefully, the rule practice makes perfect applied, because as a beginner, Aoi really was starting to panic.

<style>
[/html]
[html]

`` D I S T U R B I A

Word count: 461 // +3 points
If there’s anything different you want him to teach her, just say the word Big Grin

Alduin watched closely as Aoi recreated the letters before her, and he found that couldn’t hide the smile that popped onto his lips as she moved the pencil with more grace than most of his former beginners. He had expected her to go off the page like the others had, but she at least kept the lines within the edges of the paper. He truly believed it to be a great accomplishment for her, and he would have nothing less than for the girl to believe it. So when she commented that she was nothing to be proud of, he shook his head and lifted a paw to pat her gently on the shoulder opposite of her writing hand.

You have already done very well, my dear,” he stated confidently. “Allow me to prove it to you.

With great care the Alaskan wolf opened the velvet pouch at his neck and pulled a small, worn piece of parchment that was folded many times. It crackled lightly as he carefully undid the folds, but the paper was sturdy and did not break despite it looking like it would. It was a while before he finished unveiling what was on the page, but it was surely worth the wait. Scrawled nervously across the page was the letter ‘A’—though most would call it a collection of faded wiggly lines in some failed attempt at post-modern art. The letter was huge, taking up the page in its entirety; and needless to say it was hideous.

This was my first letter,” he admitted proudly. “I tried to copy what I saw in an old human book, but as you can see I was not at all successful.” He laughed softly, recalling the awkwardness of trying to learn on his own. “I was nervous and excited at the same time. Clearly, you can see it in what I hope someone would call lines.

He stared fondly at the page, recalling quieter times spent in the ruins of human libraries. So many days had come and gone as he sat in the wreckage of books, far too intrigued by the torn and somewhat burnt papers. It was such a shame that most of the information was missing from the books, but Alduin learned what he could from them. With a smile still resting peacefully on his lips, he folded the memory to its original state and placed it back in the pouch.

You are something to be proud of, Aoi,” he told her. “I will not allow you to tell yourself otherwise.

Or anyone else for that matter, but it seemed the young wolf needed more self-confidence than anything right now. What kind of teacher would he be if did differently?

Now,” he continued, “try the rest.

template by revo. <3

[/html]