Bad blood
Evening in Isthemus of Chignecto

Thanatos wandered up to Isthemus of Chignecto, walking around the sparse, piney forest. He was slowly getting used to being in his Lupus form, but the black demon who tormented his mind, kept telling him to return to his “normal form” and hunt. Ever once in a while, he gave into the demon like he was when he went to Isthemus.

Thanatos picked up the scent of a deer not too far away. Silently, he crept forward, making sure to stay downwind of the creature. The buck came into view and once he was close enough, he jumped towards it and grabbed onto its antlers. He gave its head a sharp twist, killing it instantly as he broke its neck. Thanatos pulled out his knife and quickly and cleanly skinned the beast. He began to cut up the meat so it could be carried when he heard movement. His ears perked up and he looked around, searching for the source of the sound.
[html]

Levent Kartal had a direction to go in now. His finger pads were pricked by thistles, his senses filled with the salty stench of the sea. But he turned his back on the bay and headed north toward the land bridge, wondering if there were any treasures he could find on the other side where fewer wolves seemed to frequent. Some gifts would be useful when he approached the pack or any packs, and he did want to make another round around the region so that he knew exactly where he stood. He was a master of games, and he would not lose for want of trinkets to please an alpha’s greed.

He walked across a carpet of pine needles, chewing on a strip of rabbit meat, occasionally lifting a morsel to the cat perched on his shoulder. It was quiet here, at least, and so he could be at peace without needing to don his fool’s mask. Occasionally, he’d break the quiet to share a few words with Wilson, talking about where they might go, what they might do, when they would return. The tom was resigned to his companion’s constant journeying, although Lev knew he wanted nothing more than to return across the sea to their homeland, or perhaps to just live in a cabin in the woods for the rest of their lives. Wilson never had any sort of ambition.

Sighing, the Turkish man stopped to check the contents of his satchel, his fingers brushing over the books and necklaces and other items within. Truly, he needed a horse to carry all his things, but he doubted he could care for a horse properly without having a pack to shelter them. Well-versed in the low languages he might be, but that didn’t make him an expert on all things equine.

He was snapped from his lazy thoughts by the sickening crack of bone—or more than just a single bone. The pops and splintering of vertebrae made him cringe, his fur fluffed along his back, and Wilson dug his claws into his companion’s shoulder. The wolf mewed softly at him to calm him, petting his fur, and stepped softly in the direction of the sound rather than away as another might have.

The cat did not approve. “Are you mental?” he hissed.

Levent flashed him grin that was not very soothing.

The sight of a butchered carcass greeted them as they stepped from the foliage. A black luperci wielded a blade, severing the meat, until the sound of a bird flapping through the tree canopy made him turn his head. When he turned again, in the direction of the newcomers, Levent made no move to hide or step forward. He simply stood, blue eyes roaming over the stag’s antlers, his white cat’s eyes big as yellow moons.

Iyi akşamlar, Levent greeted after a moment.

<style type="text/css">
.skelevcat b {font-weight:bold; color:#626c41; letter-spacing:1px;}
.skelevcat w {font-weight:bold; color:#9aa98c; letter-spacing:1px; }
.skelevcat p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.skelevcat {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#08080a; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/K2a3p.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000; padding: 360px 0px 7px 0px; font-family:arial, serif; font-size:13px; color:#4a5248; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:16px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
Thanatos turned once and saw nothing but when he looked a second time, a male with a brown coat stood by the trees, a white cat perched on his shoulder. The man eyed the buck but the cat seemed terrified. Thanatos waited until the man spoke. He recognized the language as one Aeda, Ismeme’s mother, had taught him. Thinking it polite, he answered in the man’s native tongue. [html]Merhaba.[/html]

He looked the male over, decided he wasn’t a threat, and began cutting up the stag again. Without looking back to him, Thanatos spoke to the man. [html]Aç?[/html] Thanatos would offer the man and his pet some food if they needed it, he wouldn’t carry all the meat anyways.
[html]

Eyes—plainly blood-red even at this distance—regarded him and his feline companion momentarily before the black wolf spoke. The Turkish response caught him off guard, and Levent cocked a brow. Türkçe konuşabilir? He shook his head slightly, deciding that it was safe enough to step forward. It had been a long time since he’d heard his mother tongue, as generally only he spoke it—especially in these North American lands. He’d heard smatterings of other languages, French and Spanish and Russian, but his own remained rare.

The stranger went back to butchering the deer calmly, casually questioning if he was hungry. Deciding it wouldn’t hurt to save some meat for himself, the brown-furred man nodded and stepped closer. He wondered if he could do something in return for this fellow, but he wasn’t one to offer favors if no one asked. As much as he believed in equal and fair trade, he was still an opportunist, and the soft hearts of strangers were too glad to offer him and his kitty a meal.

Something about this man—his scars, the way he carried himself—told Levent that he wasn’t one of those soft-hearted fools, however. He settled down on his haunches, arms on his knees as he watched closely, the cat dropping down to crouch behind him.

He spoke casually now, in English. “So where’d you learn to speak the language? You don’t come from overseas too, do you, kırmızı gözleri?”

<style type="text/css">
.skelevcat {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#08080a; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/K2a3p.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000; padding: 360px 0px 7px 0px; font-family:arial, serif; font-size:13px; color:#4a5248; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:16px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]
The man seemed surprised when Thanatos spoke Turkish, it was expected though. Not many spoke Turkish. [html]Küçük.[/html] He didn’t know much, just the basics really. The man stepped forward as Thanatos finished cutting up the amount of meat he could carry. The man nodded when offered some meat, it’s not like Thanatos could carry it all anyways.

The man was lucky he caught Thanatos in a good mood, if he wasn’t, he probably would have attacked the pair on sight for coming near his meal. For some reason though, he felt like being generous, which didn’t happen often. He wasn’t expecting anything in return. The rest of the meat wound have ended up being eaten by someone else anyway or it would just rot.

Thanatos smirked when he was called red-eyes. Aeda had called him that when he was a pup. He looked up at the man as he spoke. My aunt taught her two daughters, my sister, and myself multiple languages. She had been a slave and had managed to pick up different languages either from her master or another slave. So no, I’m not from overseas. Name’s Thanatos by the way. He didn’t feel the need to mention his last name, it was only a symbol of his assassin family nothing more.
[html]

Levent was used to taking advantage of situations and people alike. He was cautious, but one couldn’t gather that from the ease he carried himself with. It was almost impossible to ruffle him, which was why he only crouched and waited with a small smile as the other butchered the carcass—rather than looking at the knife with suspicion. He wasn’t much of a fighter, but he was more or less confident of his skills with persuading others to stop trying to kill him, and escaping if need be. Much of his life had been spent wheedling and running—a cowardly way to live, some honorable wolves proclaimed, though most of those wolves were dead.

The dark wolf explained that his aunt, a former slave, had picked up on many languages and taught others in turn. It was intriguing, and the Turkish man wondered how many other tongues the stranger knew—fluently or not. Even he could only speak English and Turkish well, although he had a rudimentary understanding of the Arabic and Greek tongues, and of course the bastardized pidgin languages of trade and port cities.

Bu mantıklı, was all he said about the languages. And then, when the other offered his name, he broke into a broad smile. He chuckled under his breath, looking down at the grass, remembering the soft Greek-accented words murmured in his ear on starlit nights. “Death,” he purred, “son of Night and Darkness, brother to Sleep. A feared and hated character in the mythologies, ever present, but not a key character in any story. Unless you count Sisyphus making a fool of you.” He stretched his arms out then scratched behind a dark ear, smiling idly. “But he ended up trying to balance an unbalanceable rock, and here you are with a deer.”

It wasn’t often that he met a wolf named for one of the deities Agape spoke so fondly of, and perhaps it was dangerous to speak so familiarly with this stranger. Memories of his once-betrothed, no matter how badly it ended, did tend to make him warm and careless. He opened his mouth to ramble more, but a hiss grabbed his attention, and he heeded Wilson’s council for once. It was probably best not to talk Death’s ear off.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC here!

The man commented on Thanatos’ statement about how he learned the languages. I know bits and pieces of too many that I care to count but I am fluent in five. The man had the audacity to laugh at Thanatos when he gave his name. It was not a good idea to insult Thanatos in such a way when he had been in such a gracious mood towards the man and his pet. He spoke, acting like he knew Thanatos just because he knew the old Greek myths, yet again another insult.

His eyes narrowed at the man as he spoke. Do not mock me. I am not as foolish as the man in the stories. I’d be careful when comparing someone you don’t know to such a foolish and ignorant character. They might not take it as well. Thanatos wasn’t happy but he wouldn’t harm the man unless he was given reason to. He smirked slightly as he looked at the pair. Part of your little speech was correct though. My parents are named Erebus and Nyx, but my brothers are Nemesis, Envy, and Moros, Doom. My sister is Eris, Stife. Back home, I was one of the most feared members of my family, but no one made me a fool. Thanatos’ blood red eyes stared down the man as he continued. Are there any other assumptions or stories you would like to share? Thanatos was interested to see how much he knew but it was also a challenge at the same time, daring him to insult him again.

<style>
.thanatos .ft-ooc {font-style:italic;}
.thanatos p {padding:3px 20px 3px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.thanatos b {color:#0B2161; letter-spacing:-.2px;}
.thanatos {background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc3 ... apwv-1.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:500px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0px auto; border-radius:20px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#BDBDBD; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Fluency in five languages—Levent could not say as much about his own tongues. He knew how to speak English and the dialect of cats as well as his birth tongue, but otherwise he knew enough to get by in most animal speeches. He supposed it was easier to learn low speech than Spanish or German, but perhaps this dark wolf was simply gifted like he was with the capability of understanding so much. His pale blue eyes shone at the thought.

Perhaps the merchant dwelled too much on the mythology he didn’t truly know by heart. Agape Kokinos could tell you about all the gods, the ways to anger and appease them, the reason why dolphins help sailors and why spiders weave webs and why limestone weeps. He only spoke of the pantheon because of her memory, however. The difference was that she believed and worshipped, while he told them as no more than colorful tales from the land of Greece. Anyone who took it seriously was a pagan and a fool, after all. There was one true god, and the god did not mind if Levent Kartal told a story.

Thanatos the wolf apparently minded, however. His red eyes slitted, and though the Turkish man betrayed no outward nerves, fidgeting dismissively with a necklace, his body was tense and his ears pricked for the sound of movement. Wilson growled low in his throat, nearly inaudible if his vibrating body hadn’t been pressed close to his own. The wolf only touched him gently, rubbing soothingly behind an ear, but it would take just a pinch of the cat’s skin to send him off in case things got ugly.

Levent smiled toothily at the dark male as he berated him. “I did not know you would take insult from such meaningless words,” he purred apologetically, his words crisp but his accent heavy. He flicked some of his dark hair behind his shoulder. “You hear stories and songs of all sorts in the port cities and trading hubs of the eastern continent. They mean nothing—though the wisest narrators give warning through their telling.” His grin never faltered, only growing slightly broader. “As was the case with Sisyphus. The tale tells you only that, even if he managed to trick Thanatos twice… Death is inevitable.”

His smile shone like a blood moon.

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]
[html]

OOC here!

The man fidgeted with one of the necklaces he wore, possibly nervous around him now. His body was tense and his ears perked up, appearing to be ready to run if Thanatos gave him reason. The cat didn’t seem too pleased either. Thanatos wasn’t in the mood for a fight. If the man felt the need to mock him though, he certainly wouldn’t let it slide again, not after he had been in a gracious enough mood to share his kill and give his name when the other man never bothered to tell Thanatos his.

He gave Thanatos a grin as he spoke in an apologetic tone. Smart move. He explained that his stories meant nothing, just simple things traded between others. It still hadn’t pleased Thanatos to be compared to the foolish man in the stories. Yes, death is inevitable; but it can be brought on sooner than intended. He eyed the man with a wicked grin before looking down at the cat. You always bring him around? Thanatos wasn’t particularly fond of cats, seeing them as useless creatures. And to think this man kept one as a pet, how odd. I also have not had the pleasure of receiving your name sir. The chip on Thanatos’ shoulder now gone, his politeness had returned and he intended to keep the conversation as friendly as possible.

<style>
.thanatos .ft-ooc {font-style:italic;}
.thanatos p {padding:3px 20px 3px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.thanatos b {color:#0B2161; letter-spacing:-.2px;}
.thanatos {background-color:#000000; background-image:url(http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc3 ... apwv-1.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:500px 0px 10px 0px; border:1px solid #000000; margin:0px auto; border-radius:20px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#BDBDBD; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; }
</style>
[/html]
[html]

Had he been able to read minds, Thanatos might have been a lot angrier. His fitful reaction to the playful anecdote had the merchant convinced he was the fool he feared being called. Such displays of anger and open threats were ridiculous to one who was used to playing others with honeyed words and rather than a hand at a sword hilt and an evil scowl. Certainly, one could only be insulted so much—but the wise man did not hurl lightning bolts at whoever looked at him cross-eyed. The wise man waited, and tolerated, and sent one lightning bolt right where it was needed.

The remark about an early death made Levent glance at him sideways, quirking a brow. He kept his response to himself, however. He had no doubt the dark wolf had murdered plenty of wolves—likely ones that made fun of his nose or his mother or something, because you don’t mock Death—but he wasn’t particularly frightened. As terrified as he was of meeting his mortal doom, he gambled hard and often—and if Thanatos wanted to kill him, he would have done it before either of them knew what was happening.

Maybe I can chain him up in a cave, he thought, and smiled in the direction of the trees as if suddenly enraptured by their beauty.

The question made him blink, forgetting himself, but the tomcat flattened his ears and lashed his tail. His earlier flamboyant smiles vanished as he looked at the other man quite seriously, although his tone was soft and casual, not having to think about the answer. “Of course. Wilson is my traveling companion and closest friend. We have known each other since we were kids.”

The pair was used to skeptical glares from other luperci. Many had companions of their own, even if they were mere pets rather than equals of different species. Others would rather eat a cat than talk to it, or thought that torturing them was fun. He still didn’t want to think about what the teenagers in London would have done to the feline if he hadn’t stopped them. They’d given some very detailed suggestions, but much was likely left unsaid. Troubled, he stroked the tom’s fur.

“Ah, apologies,” the brown wolf said swiftly. “I wasn’t thinking.” That admission might make Thanatos happy. He gave a little bow of his head. “I am Levent—which has no meaning other than a very vain one, but I swear my mother named me.”

<style type="text/css">
</style>[/html]