through mud and roots
[html]

28.05.2012 . 9am . grand lake area . optime form
wc -- 483

Glancing over the bird, Saul was pleased to see some light returning to her eyes. Two days ago, Niernan had pounded on his door, the pheasant cradled in his arms. The story had been a simple one- Niernan had met Grace from Anathema, her bird companion had been in the jaws of a fox. They'd managed to save the bird and Grace had allowed the pheasant, named Turnip, to return to Vinátta with Niernan. Saul had done all he could to clean her wounds and make sure she was comfortable. For the moment, he'd set up a little box in the corner for her and while she hadn't moved too much in the last day or two, she seemed to be a fighter. A few more days and Saul would be able to send Niernan back to Anathema with the bird- he seemed eager enough anyway. A small smile tugged his lips before he turned away, the thoughts that had been plaguing his mind for the past two days working its way into action.

He'd been racing around his house, picking out various items for Turnips treatment, when the thought of building a garden had popped into his mind. He'd come to the conclusion that it would be beneficial to Vinátta to build a garden filled with a variety of medicinal plants. Saul was a healer and he knew that Colibri was interest in gardening. Perhaps she might be interested in helping him construct this garden of his. He exited his house, taking a deep breath. He'd already been out today, his usual morning routine taking him around Vinátta's territory. His morning run had morphed into the first border check of the day and he usually managed to run the full circumference of Vinátta before the sun was properly up. He thought he'd found a good little patch of ground not too far from Jordheim that might serve as a great place to have a garden.

He moved away from his own house, green eyes searching for the bright flowers that decorated Coli's house. He smiled when he thought of her decorations and he'd been right in his assumption that she was green fingered. He hadn't spent much time with Colibri- their first meeting had been tainted by the news Saul had given her and he was sure he could still see the bitterness and grief in her eyes whenever he saw her. Perhaps he could take her mind off of what had happened. Raising his hand, he rapped the thick wood of her door twice. "Coli? Are you there? Its Saul, I wondered if you wanted to help me with something?" He asked, knowing they could hear through the wood but wondering if she was actually in there. He stepped back, allowing room for her to exit and waited to see if she would be up for getting a bit dirty today.

<style>
.saul-d19 .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.saul-d19 p {padding:2px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.saul-d19 b {color:#D6ECF8; letter-spacing:-.2px; }
.saul-d19 {background-color:#728792; background-image:url(http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i32 ... aul3-1.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#1A2023; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:450px; text-align:justify; padding:10px 0px 270px 0px; }
.saul-d19-border {width:454px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; margin:0 auto;}
</style>[/html]
[html]

Sorry it took me a little while to get here~~<3 // WC: 543

Coli was indeed home, letting the morning sunlight go to waste as she remained inside her earthbound house. It was dark inside, since there were no windows, and she was curled against the corner wall, listening intently to the sounds of scratching and squeaking behind the weathered wood. At first she had been disgusted by the signs of mice infesting the old house -- piles of droppings and urine stains had to be scrubbed thoroughly before it was deemed liveable. It was to be expected of any abandoned structure, but still unpleasant to deal with. But the mice themselves had burrows deep into the hill, where they remained hidden from the canine predator that had moved in with them. And now she found it fascinating to listen to them scurrying nearby, scratching at the walls and pattering underneath the floorboards. It seemed as though the bold rodents were already unafraid of her, as she had caught glimpses of shiny black eyes peering through cracks in the ceiling and walls several times. Perhaps it was silly of her not to eliminate them, but they were entertaining and harmless. She had not mentioned them to Niernan specifically, for fear he might ask his cat companion to hunt them...

Then the mice fell silent, freezing as they felt the vibrations of someone approaching. Coli straightened, peering at the door expectantly until she heard knocking. She was surprised to hear who it was -- Lilin and Nier were the only two packmates she had spent much time with since its formation, and she knew Saul was often busy with his duties such as patrolling the border. She hoped fervently that was not what she was being summoned for, because she still felt achy from the trip she had made to the former Crimson Dreams orchard. "I'll be right there, Saul," she called, standing and brushing the dust from her knees and mane. The interior of her chosen house was much more bare and plain than some of the others, but she preferred a simpler abode. She knew all too well what it felt like to live alone in a house too large for her, and she did not have possessions or furniture to fill it with. It was nicer this way, fitting for a older single wolf like her. She adjusted the Frithr pendant around her neck, making sure it was visible, before swinging the door open to greet her leader and friend.

"Good morning," she added politely, emerging from the doorway onto the lush grass. She tugged the heavy door shut behind her, flashing him a shy smile as her eyes adjusted to the light. As far as leaders went, Saul Stormbringer was the most gentle and least intimidating she had ever known. Coli was known to be skittish around males due to her history, but she was thankfully unafraid of this one, possibly because his connection to Lilin as well as Conor made him like family. She had done her best to push thoughts of Conor from her mind, although meeting Eclipse for the first time had made that difficult. "What did you need help with?" she asked, a little more hesitantly. She wasn't particularly talented at hunting either, so hopefully it wouldn't be that.

Table by Alli!
[/html]
[html]

ly bby and your crazy posting spree!
wc -- 368

From within, Saul caught the sound of Coli's voice, declaring that she would be right there. He nodded, almost to himself and took another step back, knowing that Coli was nervous around most males. So far, he hadn't detected much of that nervousness around himself but he wouldn't be one to just assume that she was comfortable around him. It was perhaps a twist of fate that she'd ended up in a currently male dominant pack- Lilin and Miskunn were the only other females in Vinátta and Saul could understand that this probably made her a little nervous. Thinking about it, it was probably why her house was more secluded than anyone elses. Green eyes drifted and a smile twitched his lips as he saw all of the flowers planted around and into the house. She given her house flair without it being over the top and obvious, certainly a reflection of her personality.

The sound of the door opening caused him to look back as Colibri exited her house, shutting the door behind her. Her greeting was simple and he smiled softly in return. Her next question caused his tail to wag softly behind him- he was quite excited about getting this going. "Good morning Colibri, I hope I wasn't disturbing you." He replied, before stepping back another couple of steps and taking a deep breath. He turned back, green eyes twinkling with mirth. "Do you want to come digging with me?" He chuckled, realising that his answer probably wouldn't make much sense to her. He knew she was a bit of a gardener though and he hoped she would be up for it.

"I had an idea about making some sort of garden area. I wanted to have a crop of the more useful herbs for medicines and healing, and thought it would be a good idea to cultivate some land and plants some so we always have a supply?" He asked, hoping she would approve of his idea. It was just his luck that he'd managed to find a spade in one of the empty houses and two rakes in another of the properties. They would be useful in this endeavour, that was for certain.

<style>
.saul-d19 {background-color:#728792; background-image:url(http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i32 ... aul3-1.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#1A2023; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:450px; text-align:justify; padding:10px 0px 270px 0px; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

I had to get caught up somehow! Cx // WC: 415

"No, not at all, I was just... erm, digging?" She tilted her head helplessly, unsure of what he was propositioning her to do. Patrolling the border, hunting, watching the pups, those were all tasks she expected to be assigned at some point since they did not have many members, and she had to pull her weight somehow. Digging holes did not seem like much of a priority, until Saul elaborated on his idea.

"A communal garden, that sounds like a lovely idea...! There are so many useful plants I've seen in the area that I could collect for us; chamomile, feverfew, marigold, comfrey, echinacea... and the flowers will be so pretty together, too," she trailed off shyly, enthused by the idea. It was rare that she got to share her knowledge of botany, whether they be the herbal remedies and teas she learned from Deuce Rhiannon, or the poisons she had cultivated on her own. Self-consciously she brushed her fingers against the small fur pouch she wore around her neck, hung on the same cord as her Vináttan pendant. She probably shouldn't mention right away that she had just as intimate an understanding of the toxicity of plants -- only if the need arose for her to defend herself or her pack. What started as a hobby had lead her down a dark path, and she was trying to steer herself back towards the light and the good.

"I guess we should start digging, then," Coli added, nodding resolutely. "Did you... have a location in mind?" This was much less intimidating than untangling the overgrown vineyard, and was even one of the few topics she had a measure of confidence and experience in. It had been quite a few seasons, but she had built gardens from scratch several times in her past with great success. And judging by the flowers she had carried from Crimson Dreams and lovingly nursed back to health here around her house, she had not lost her talent. That thought jogged her memory -- the apple seedlings, she still needed to mention them to Saul. Maybe he would be impressed by her initiative... or maybe he would be upset that she did not ask his permission to plant them. She should hold off until she was sure he was in a good mood. He seemed cheerful enough, but she did not want to risk irritating him right before they were to spend an entire day together toiling in the soil.

Table by Alli!
[/html]
[html]

ah, that is true <3
wc -- 384

Her response was quick, trying to reassure him that he hadn't disturbed her. Of course, his next question caught her off guard perhaps as she repeated back to him what he'd asked her. He chuckled softly, the wag of his tail and the grin on his face testament to his excitement on this whole project. He liked herbs and plants, but perhaps wasn't so good at the whole planting business. While he was good at recognising them, he lacked the knowledge of actually planting. It didn't take long for Colibri to get the idea however and her enthusiastic response was warranted. He was pleased when she began to list the plants she'd seen growing around here- it would make it a lot easier to locate them and plant them again. Saul chuckled softly as she trailed off, knowing that she thought she was talking too much but enjoying the more verbose and excited Colibri all the same.

"I've got a witchhazel plant thats looking a bit battered now, but I'm sure with some love and attention it could flourish. " He chuckled, his voice sharing her excitement. Her voice came again and Saul chuckled softly, a nod in reply to her suggestion. She asked if he had anywhere in mind for their garden and he paused. "Well, I haven't got anywhere specific in mind, but the ground is fairly flat and fertile just a few miles outside of Jordheim. Perhaps we could find a spot there to dig?" He suggested, knowing that the hilly and sometimes rocky grounds of Jordheim would be unsuitable for growing herbs.

With that, Saul turned and headed towards the storage shed, scooping up the spade and rakes before making his way back to Colibri. It would take them only a few minutes running to reach their destination and Saul set off at a steady pace. He hoped Coli could keep up with him. He came to a stop when a swathe of land caught his attention. "How about here?" He called back, glancing over his shoulder to see if his companion had managed to arrive with him. The ground was level and had many plants growing- mostly weeds but a few flowers. They would have to dig a plot area to start with and that might take a while.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

=) // WC: 558

Colibri smiled shyly at the mention of the witchhazel plant, knowing it to be a useful shrub with astringent qualities. "We could plant that at the center. They can grow rather large, so it can shelter the ones that prefer shade, like feverfew," she suggested, trying to imagine the arrangement once they completed all the preliminary work. They could spend the next several days scouring the forest and lakeside for everything they would need; the thought was an uplifting one, a job she would actually be good at. It was easier to hunt things that had roots and could therefore not flee.

Once he had gathered their tools, the tall athletic Stormbringer set off at a brisk pace, white footpaws quickly covering ground ahead of her. Coli struggled to match his gait, jogging breathlessly in his wake and hoping he did not notice he was gradually leaving her behind. Her joints still ached from the trek to and from the southern packlands, and she was not as young as she used to be, finding that it took her longer to recover from physical exertion. When Saul reached the level ground outside of Jordheim, seemingly effortlessly, Coli hurried to close the gap between them. Perhaps she should try a little harder to stay in shape, now that she had all these fit young wolves to keep up with.

She pressed her hand against her chest, trying to will her rapid heartbeat to slow down to a regular rhythm. "This... seems nice..." Coli exhaled, out of breath from the unexpected run. Saul must have been more excited than he let on, if he was this eager to get started. Gardening had always been a slow and peaceful experience for her; hopefully Saul was not going to speed everything up in his enthusiasm, or she would be left behind again.

As her eyes fell on the flat earth that would soon be upturned and tilled, she felt a strange sense of guilt, the same remorse that had shadowed her in the Crimson Dreams orchard. The last time she had worked in a garden alongside another who shared her love for growing things, it had been with her almost-mate. Lending her talents to a new pack felt almost like cheating on Anu's memory. Coli shook her head, dismissing the ridiculous notion. She was no longer winded, so it was time to work.

She knelt, beginning the task of uprooting the weeds, grasping each one by its stem and freeing it from the earth. That seemed like the most obvious job, since they could not do anything until the soil was clear. "Saul... have you ever been in love?" she asked offhandedly, distracted by her thoughts and the task at hand. They would need something to talk about all day, and it seemed like a good place to start. Perhaps her Virding could give her advice on how to move on. He was a single parent, after all, so she assumed he had a mate once. All this time had passed, and yet Coli still had not come to terms with the breakup that had driven her out of Crimson Dreams, and into her solitary journey to the western coast. She had no one to talk it out with even now, but the scent of fresh loam dredged up a lot of memories.

Table by Alli!
[/html]
[html]

meeeann coli <3333
wc -- 684

Her shy smile was noted and Saul was pleased to have received it. He knew Coli to be a shy and reserved character, but it seemed gardening was something that unlocked something within her- taking pleasure from planting, growing and cultivating. Her words caused a similar smile to grace his own lips- she clearly knew her plants well and he understood that he could learn a bit from her. He knew enough to get by, but there was always something new to learn. He nodded softly, agreeing to her assessment of the placement. "That seems like a good idea to me." He verbally confirmed, before the two of them were off once more. His morning routine had built up an incredible endurance in the male and he often forgot that others did not subject themselves to the same kind of activity that he did. He didn't notice Coli falling behind however and as he came to a stop alongside a relatively flat patch, he glanced around wildly for the dark Soul.

He couldn't help a light hearted chuckle as she caught up and stopped, a hand pressed to her chest. He allowed an apologetic expression to cover his face as she looked up and around her, assessing the ground that he'd chosen. Her almost winded words caused another chuckle and he ducked his head once before remembering that Coli was unlikely to react negatively to his amusement. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to leave you behind. I forget that others don't have a morning run like I do..." He admitted, holding his hands up slightly in mock defence before a comfortable silence enveloped them. She took the opportunity to begin dragging the weeds from the earth while Saul moved gathering up four strong sticks.

He thrust one of the sticks into the earth, pressing it down so that it stood without falling over. Placing his heels against the stick, he began walking, taking strides and trying to keep the line as straight as possible. Once he'd estimated 15 metres, he stopped and plunged the second stick into the ground. Doing the best he could, he attempted to turn a 90 degree angle before pacing again, counting out what he estimated to be 10 metres before placing the third stick in the ground. Walking back the way he'd come, now ten metres away from his original line, Saul completed the rectangle when the final stick was placed in the ground. Coli stayed inside this rectangle, pulling weeds to her hearts content and he thought she was happy like that. Her question, however, threw him completely off guard.

He looked towards her, a startled and shocked expression on her face. It was a completely random topic of conversation, but he supposed there had to be something in their actions right now that bought the question forth. The question itself rolled around in his head and he tried to think of an appropriate answer. "I thought I had been. I crushed on a female back in Dahlia... and Ichika come to think of it. But she would never stay, she was always going missing. And when she left the final time, I followed her to find out where she went. I thought she broke my heart, but I realise now it was just a boyhood crush." He pondered his next words, knowing that he'd recently spoken to Lilin about this. "Temeraire's mother was a random female who got me drunk and had sex with me. I didn't see her again until she handed me my son and told me she couldn't take him." He offered with a shrug of his shoulders. It was easy to be sceptical about love, but his thoughts always returned to Lilin when he thought of those words. "I think I'm in love now..." He whispered, so quietly he'd be surprised if she caught what he'd said. He didn't know if this was the right word for what he felt, but in that moment he supposed it probably was. "Have you, Coli?" He returned, looking up and catching her eyes for a moment.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

tee hee! she's just gonna make herself sad though, she's so emo~
WC: 790

It wasn't Saul's fault that he was much more athletic than her; it was her own shortcomings that kept her from matching his pace. Coli would have told him this, but she was too winded to offer the explanation, opting instead to shake her head and wave her hand dismissively at his apology. He was too nice to humor her like this -- truly too kind for his own good, this Stormbringer. It was more than enough that he had given her a home here. If tending to this garden could in some way repay him, she would carry water here every morning, no matter how exhausting the trip.

The two toiled in comfortable silence; Coli gathering a pile of weeds beside her, Saul staking out the corners of their plot. When she idly voiced her question, he seemed startled; she glanced up, ears falling back submissively. Of course it was a sensitive topic, and she hadn't meant to pry into his affairs. A simple 'yes' or 'no' would have been enough of an answer for her, but instead the male opened up, revealing much more than Coli had expected. She blushed a little at the mention of sex, ducking her head shyly as she worked. She had been a little curious about Temeraire, but she would never have asked directly. Perhaps Saul had realized this. She thought she heard him whisper something else at the end, but she must have imagined it. She was distracted by the description Saul had given of his boyhood crush, which sounded uncomfortably similar to her own role in the ill-fated romance she had experienced.

Saul caught her gaze, having shown an honest glimpse into his past and expecting the same from her. She sighed heavily, fingers pausing in their work as she tried to gather the words. It wasn't something she had told Lilin yet, although Ezra and possibly Niernan knew pieces of the story. She wanted to get it off her chest, but it was difficult to admit that it was over. "Yeah, I... I was... I mean, I still am, but it can't... you know. I crushed on a female back in Dahlia, too," she said with a chuckle, referencing Saul's phrasing as an easy way to admit to her preferences. She did not know if anyone in the pack took issue with same-sex couples, but it wasn't something she felt she needed to hide any longer now that they trusted her. "But she wasn't a Dahlian, and eventually I left to join Crimson Dreams and be with her. It should have been our happy ending..." Her voice trailed off, remembering the winter they shared, cozy in their room in the manor as her tail was healing from its injury.

"I ruined it though. I... just get so anxious when there are expectations, pressure... I grew distant, scared I would not live up to her image of me. I stopped coming home at night, started wandering further away so I wouldn't have to deal with it..." She stared down at her muddy hands, lost in the gloomy memories. She had so many flaws, and she could only conceal them for so long. Saul deserved to know what a wreck she was anyway, he had already seen her break down over poor Conor's fate. He didn't need to feel guilty over bearing that news, now that he could see how depressed she was over everything else.

"...Well, it's obvious what had to happen; she moved on, I ran away. Took me nearly two years to come back, and I still haven't spoken to her even though I know where she is. Saul, if... if that girl you had a crush on, the one who left... if she ever came back and asked you to forgive her, asked if you still cared about her, do you think...?" She peered up at him, curiosity and a tint of desperation in her wide blue eyes. She knew how neurotic she was coming across, but once she started talking about it, it was hard for her to stem the flood. Did Saul believe in forgiveness the way Alder did, or did he bear a grudge toward his deserter? Anu still meant the world to her, because she was the only one to truly love Coli despite her flaws, even if it was her flawed personality that ended up hurting them both. Even if Anu would take her back, she might end up breaking the woman's heart all over again; was it better for her to stay away and suffer alone? She finally returned to her weeding task, reminding herself that it was possible to work and talk at the same time rather than freeze up completely.

Table by Alli!
[/html]
[html]

poor coli <3333
wc -- 495

Their work had been progressing in a comfortable silence. While Saul mapped out the extent of their up and coming plot, Colibri moved within the rectangle, pulling weeds out and chucking them away from the area. Saul had found her, since his discovery of the female, to be someone who calmed him and the companionable silence that welled between the two of them held no awkwardness. She was simply a presence that he enjoyed working with and he allowed a smile to wash over his lips. Her question, however, had thrown tension across their conversation- he'd glanced over to find her in a more submissive position, ears flat and head ducked. He would never harm her, or assert his dominance unnecessarily, but he supposed his surprised reaction had been a trigger for the shy and reserved female. He sent her an encouraging smile, before standing once more and reaching for the spade they'd bought with them.

He'd asked her in return to his own story and he could perhaps detect a reluctance there. If she didn't want to tell him, he would accept that. He was himself surprised when she began speaking, mimicking his words from his own story. He managed to keep the slight zing of shock from his face when she admitted to being in love with another female- he had no problem with it, it was just a little unexpected considering he hadn't known this aspect of Colibri until that moment. Her story was perhaps a little harsher than his own- Siku had left him and he didn't know whose fault that was. But Coli placed all the blame on her own shoulders and Saul could see the effect it had on her. She spoke of turning in on herself, distancing herself because of expectations. It sounded as if Colibri had set her bar too high for herself and was struggling very hard to stay above the water of her own self esteem.

She paused, before concluding the story. It was sad and Saul allowed a sigh to escape before another unexpected question came from the female. It seemed the two of them were sharing stories today. He considered her question and quickly realised why she'd asked it. Digging the spade in again for the fourth time, he pushed the ground up and away to the small pile building up behind him. "If Siku returned, she would return to me as a friend. I have someone else in my life now and my romantic interest in Siku is non-existant. But I would have the decency to forgive her actions- we were both young." He spoke carefully, hoping that his words wouldn't be misconstrued. "Don't give up Coli..." He offered, his voice soft once more. She must know that their situations differed, as did the other person. The gentle wag of his tail was given as he strove the spade into the dirt again, reaching the furthest stick and digging up the earth.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

:>
WC: 704

"I'm sorry for dumping all this on you, Saul," Coli apologized earnestly, peeking up at him to make sure he was not annoyed with her. "I... wanted to start fresh here, make a better me. But I'm still a mess, and I guess I can't fix it without talking about it a little..." She never learned how to deal with emotions in a healthy and constructive way, and simply pushed the feelings down, season after season. Some days it felt like she was going to burst. She once again felt grateful for the peaceful stability Saul and Lilin had created; the longer she spent as a loner, the more likely it was for her to snap at the wrong wolf and end up torn apart.

"I just don't know if I should be trying to forget her, or trying to win her back," she mumbled, lightly tossing the discarded weed outside the border of their plot. She would carry the unwanted plants further away once they were done digging, so that they did not have a chance to go to seed and repopulate the area. "I... actually left word with a friend of hers that I was here, and that she was welcome to come join us... but there's no reason she would uproot her family for the likes of me. She is very forgiving, and I hope she doesn't bear a grudge against me, but it's just so unlikely that we could ever be together again after... I left her."

She wasn't a fool -- logic told her the odds again and again, but it also kept replaying the intimate memories of her only romance. She didn't want to give up, not after learning from Alder that there had been a misunderstanding. Coli ran away when she learned Anu was pregnant... anyone would have assumed the worst, that she had been betrayed. But it turned out Anu had asked a favor of a male friend with the hopes she and Coli could raise the children together, something Coli had always wanted... It was a cruel misunderstanding indeed, one that could have been cleared up if she had just confronted her love in the first place. Saul had made a valid point, though -- his feelings of attraction faded with time, and most likely Anu's had too. A weak friendship was probably all she could hope for now, and perhaps that was why it was easier to fantasize instead of taking action.

The rich, earthy scent of the loam Saul was upturning with his spade filled the air. Coli inhaled deeply and smiled, her clamoring insecurities quieted by the relaxing setting. "I'd rather spend my time in a garden anyway, plants are easier to deal with," she admitted wryly, a sentiment she had felt for most of her adult life. The warmth of the sun, the velvety feel of the soil between her pawpads, the delicate perfume of flower petals, these were things she could enjoy no matter how dark her thoughts were growing. She could let her regrets fall away from her, and enjoy the simple pleasure of nurturing those that did not speak. Her companion's words were measured and fair, and she was about to change the topic when one of his statements stood out in her mind. He had someone else in his life now?

Coli stared down at the stubborn weed she was trying to extirpate, racking her mind for any signs she could have noticed. Saul lived alone with his son, didn't he? She had noticed a few new scents around Jordheim recently, so there were some new members she had been too shy to introduce herself to... perhaps it was one of them? She didn't want to ask him, since they were already on such a delicate topic. Besides, she wasn't a gossip; she just wanted everyone to experience happiness. "I hope things are going well with your new someone," she murmured, glancing up to the tall wolf with a hint of mischief in her smile. Saul certainly deserved to be happy and loved, he was such a kindhearted and generous male. She hoped he would have better luck with this new love than he had in the past.

Table by Alli!
[/html]
[html]

soooo so sorry for the wait, mind if we finish this up soon? <333
wc -- 491

Her apology was met with a soft shake of his head and a smile. He enjoyed listening to others and seeing if there was anything he could do to help them- if that meant sharing stories with Coli then the young male was more than happy to oblige. Her admission that she was a bit of a mess was received although he didn't know how to tell her that he thought she was doing very well under the circumstances she'd described. His opinion of the dark female was that she was stronger than she gave herself credit for. Still, talking about it always seemed to help and he allowed the soft wag of his tail to offer encouragement. "I'm always here if you need to talk Coli... you're family now." He said softly, before digging into the ground once more and turning over the soil he had disturbed. They were almost finished- the ground was nearly tilled and soon they would be able to plant things in here. Her next words were full of doubt and he felt a stab of pity for her.

"Everything will be alright in the end Coli..." He paused, giving another encouraging smile. He'd read the saying in a book somewhere and he'd adopted it as a personal motto. "If it's not alright... It's not the end." He chuckled, hoping that little saying would stick with her. "You never know whats going to happen" He offered softly, before another thought came to mind. "You need to make a decision, try and win her back or not, and stick to it. Uncertainty is a killer- you must choose your own destiny." He spoke with a quiet wisdom far beyond his two years, but he knew what it was like to be completely uncertain about something. The anguish he felt over Lilin was killing him, he knew it. Her last comment made him chuckle softly, his head nodding in agreement- everything was much simpler out here than it was back home.

They worked in silence for a few minutes and Saul worked to finish the last little bits off. They were done turning the soil and ridding it of weeds and stones that would hamper their attempts at growing things here. Her soft words made him look up, surprise and gratitude warring on him. She was a sweet woman and he was grateful she'd found her way into their lives. "I think it is... I really hope it is." His voice thick with emotion, he blinked to rid himself of the embarrassing tears that threatened to fall. With a sigh, he stretched his limps, brushing the dirt that had collected on his fur off. "Come on, shall we get back to Jordheim and see if we can find some food?" He asked, offering a hand to help her up off the floor. His afternoon with Coli had been pleasant and certainly eye opening, perhaps for both of them.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

Sure, this can be the ending, or you can post again if you want. Maybe have another thread soon? :>
WC: 566

Saul offered his ear, promising to listen to her whenever she needed to vent. She had the sneaking suspicion that he did not know how much he had volunteered himself for, but it did mean a lot to her that he would try. It was cathartic just to let slip some of what plagued her; whether it was the good company or the simple act of tilling the earth that had relaxed her sufficiently to admit to them. Maybe someday she'd be able to hold her head high, but for now it was enough to have someone else know some of what she was going through... and to know that he didn't blame her the way she blamed herself. And to be called family. Of course that was what a pack was supposed to mean to a wolf, but hearing it spoken aloud was moving. She swallowed the lump forming in her throat, blinking back the mist of tears that was obscuring her vision. Did she really have a family now? It did feel different from the other packs she had been a part of; smaller, close knit, dependable. She didn't deserve it, but she had found it. "Thank you," she said finally, once she could find her voice. "And, um, the same to you... if you ever need to talk about your new sweetheart, or anything else, I'm good at listening... I know it can be lonely being a leader." She knew this because of her Anu, once the alpha of Crimson Dreams. All they had desired was each others' company...

The two wolves moved with an industrious harmony, soon completing the task they had set before them. Coli rocked back on her hocks, brushing the loose soil from her light-furred fingers. Saul offered her sage advice, something she silently promised to take to heart. She needed a mantra, something to latch onto and believe in. Indecision was definitely the worst part, but she was afraid of closure; if she had to close that chapter of her life and leave it behind her for good, what would she do with herself next? There was no one else who could love her like Anu. "I hope it will be alright," she murmured. "I just don't know if I'm ready to choose yet." And how pathetic was that, knowing it had been years since she left? She had never been good about making decisions for herself, preferring to passively let things fall as they may.

She watched Saul with a bit of envy, seeing the way passion clouded his face and voice when he spoke of his special someone. He did not offer a name, and it did not bother her at all; he obviously cared about her deeply, and the pack would be made privy once they were ready to share. Young love was beautiful. She missed it. "Let me know if Temeraire will have some little brothers and sisters on the way," she teased gently, accepting the hand he offered her so that she could rise to her feet. His palms were warm, his fingers engulfing hers completely. He might not have realized, but she did not accept physical contact often, and it was a gesture of trust she offered him by accepting his. She nodded in agreement -- a meal would be most welcome after their work, and she was looking forward to it.

Table by Alli!
[/html]