The life of a merchant
Rain had made the trip from Casa to the boarders of this pack in a few days. He had been here before with Lux. She had been younger and weaker last time but he hoped that despite him being a wolf the coyote of this pack would be willing to trade with him. He needed to get rid of some of the things he owned and Lux could learn a thing or two about half of her kind. She was part coyote and part wolf and Rain knew she was curious about her kind. She was about 75% coyote. Rain thought it was time she learned about who she was.

He stopped at the boarders and looked up at Lux. She signed her worries to him and he took her off Russell's back. "No one will hurt you Lux. You are their kind. You should learn from them. I would like to you to live here when you decide you are ready. You should be with your kind," he said before howling his presence. He hoped he met someone nice and not that crazy mad woman from before.
[html]<style>#sieLoc td {vertical-align:top; text-align:center; padding:3px; font-size:11px; }
#sieLoc td.header { font-size:15px; }
#sieLoc #location{background-image:url('http://www.soulsrpg.com/images/BSMapPixels_subterr.jpg'); width:100px;height:100px;border:1px solid #000000;background-position:56% 39%;}
#sieLoc #pushpin{position:relative;left:45px;top:45px;}</style>

Form

Optime

(363) Forewarning: Ithiel is an asshole. >_>;; However, if you wanted this interaction to turn out more positively, I can have Myrika show up midway through, and she'll tell Ithiel to behave (as best she can, anyway).

Ithiel is by me!

Ithiel was aware of the strangers' approach long before they arrived on the clan's borders. Zedekiah had spied the canines moving north, and had alerted the dust-furred Praetorian of their probable course. Ithiel had therefore spent the better part of the last half-hour scouting out the southern parts of the coyote clan's borders, hoping the strangers would pass the clan by. Zedekiah had come down from the skies in order to deliver this piece of information to Ithiel, but now he was flying again, wheeling high in the midday skies. The rare clarity of the day gave the vulture quite a lot of visibility -- Ithiel was glad for it, and he sat up straighter in his saddle, red eyes scanning over the forests.

The growth was new and young along this part of the clan's border -- Ithiel knew as well as any the story of its burning, and he was surprised to see such growth in the area. Lystra picked her way through the saplings and spindly underbrush, her heavy hooves surprisingly quiet for an animal of her size. Ithiel lifted a branch from his path and carried onward. The sound of a howl cut through the relative peace of the afternoon, and the dust-hued hybrid twisted around to listen, cocking big coyote ears into the wind.

He turned his horse around, guiding her with the reins. Lystra obeyed, as she tended to do more often than not these days, and quickly, horse and rider trekked through the underbrush, back the way they'd come. The path through the thin forest was clear-cut, bent grasses and trampled plants evidence of their earlier passing. Ithiel lifted the branch again, and saw them. One was tall and pale, the other short and young -- and a coyote. The dusky hybrid pulled on the reins and Lystra came to a stop, snorting her challenge to the strange horse. A tremble went through her, but this was all the resistance she offered.

What do you want? he inquired flatly, red eyes lingering on the younger of the pair, the coyote. He broke his gaze and looked back toward the pale wolf.

<style>
@import url('http://sleepyglow.net/rp/post.css');
</style>[/html]
OCC: That would be nice. Rain needs Lux to meet a female anyways.
Rain looked up at the male on the horse as Lux whimpered slightly. She was remembering the woman that kicked her as a young pup. Rain stood proud and looked at the male, answering his question. "I come with my daughter to trade some of my creations and help my daughter learn of her kind. Last time I stopped by here... we were driven off by someone. She was a pup. Can you help her?" he asked as Lux looked the man over.

She looked at her father and started signing again. "He won't hurt me da? He seems mean and scary like that one woman who kicked me. Why does he look like me?," she asked as she pulled softly at her large ears, a nervous habit she had every since she had shifted. She looked down at her black and tan fur and looked up at the male, her sky blue eyes questioning. She had always known she wasn't completely wolf like her Ma and Da. But she didn't think there where others like her and Quintus. She wanted to approach the male, question him. Rain watched as Lux went though and array of emotions. He had hoped that she would find the answers she was looking for here. He watched as she stepped forward and attempted to speak to the male.

"I...want t..to k..know mo..more about...my..kk..kind..." she stammered softly, looking down. Would he help her?
[html]

(334) No problem! Will probably have Myrika show up within the next post and tell Ithiel off. Smile Good chance for her to try and exert some rank, too!

Ithiel is by me!

The little one whimpered and cringed, and Ithiel's suspicions flared. Was this pale wolf abusing this little coyote? He held Lystra in place, for she still glowered toward the other horse, though he himself wished to step forward now. He dared not -- if the pale one thought to use the little girl as a trap to entice him into carelessness, Ithiel was not the right coyote for such trickery. Large, dark ears swept forward and listened to the wolf, his expression of displeasure deepening. The little one made some frantic motions of her hands, and Ithiel's deeply red eyes narrowed further with this, though they softened some as the little one herself stepped forward. Lystra bared her teeth at the small coyote, but the dusky-furred hybrid gave a tug on her reins and stroked her neck, settling her. He looked down at the coyote as she spoke, looked back up at her wolf father, and then back down at the coyote, frowning.

If you'd learn about your kind, leave this wolf behind and come to Inferni. You'll be cared for, he said brusquely, though not entirely unkindly. Ithiel was not particularly fond or unfond of children; his heartstrings remained motionless even with the youth's plea. Still, she was a coyote and a woman, and young at that -- perhaps she might still be saved from the wolf who claimed to be her father. The dark hybrid looked up toward the elder of the pair and narrowed his eyes, speaking far more harshly than he had to the little coyote. I am no trader. What trick are you pulling, wolf? If you were chased away before, it must have been with good reason. She is too much a coyote to be your get, anyway. The dark-furred coyote sensed a trap, though he did not fear this pale wolf -- he was armed and ahorse and on his own border. Whatever trick he was playing, it was not going to work.

<style>
#ithielSie {
font-family:'trebuchet ms', tahoma, geneva, sans-serif;
font-size:13px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#ithielSie p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#ithielSie p.sieImage {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
font-style:italic;
float:left; margin:5px;
}
#ithielSie .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif
text-transform:none;
line-height:16px;
font-weight:normal; }
#ithielSie .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#ithielSie b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#ithielSie u { text-decoration: underline; }
#ithielSie b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#ithielSie b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#ithielSie b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]
OCC: I really want to play Lux but I know my count for Rain is really low. Smile just throwing that out there

Lux turned to her father and whined. Leave him? Rain smiled at her softly. "You are going to have to leave me someday Lux. This pack will give you the answers you seek," Rain said softly before looking at the male. "Sir this is not a trick. I am just a humble merchant. I stopped here because I was hoping that someone in this pack would be nice enough to take some of what I offer, maybe give my daughter some in site on how her people live. I mean you no harm. I was chased off last time because Lux was kicked by someone in your pack," said Rain as Lux came back to his side.

Do you really want me to leave you Da? Your all the family I have left. This pack scares me she signed to him. She wanted answers. Answers for questions that she knew someone in this pack could tell her. Answers that wouldn't involve her father. She pulled at her ears and looked down, walking over to Russell and rubbing the horses neck. She was so confused and in need of someone to vent to. "N...not..trick...Traders... me a...an...and Da...," she said as her hand went to her throat. It was taking a lot out of her to speak and her throat could only take a little bit more of this conversation. She double tapped her fathers shoulder to tell him that she was getting tired of talking and would have to translate.
[html]

(799) It's good to have her as an NPC in your threads, then! Kind of like playing her. Close enough, anyway. X3 Italics in this post is Ithiel; bold is Myrika. Also, I am sorry for the long post/interaction. @_@ I figured Rain and Lux probably wouldn't have tried to interfere with them, but if you need me to make any edits, let me know please! The first two paragraphs can also be skipped. ^^;

Myrika is by Sie!

Cahal carried her around the borders swiftly, moving at a better pace than Eira. While the big stallion was the faster of her horses, Eira's gait was far smoother, and therefore the ride was far more pleasant atop the blue roan. Still, Cahal was a good animal, too, and he was at least seeming a little bit less nervous these days. His hooves tapped against the ground as they rode, keeping to a quick walk. When Myrika scented Ithiel and Lystra, she thought she might join him to finish their rounds together, and guided Cahal toward them.

As the redhead picked their way through the forest, however, another scent came on -- weak and faint, carried by the breeze. Strangers, she thought to herself. She did not recognize either scent, and voices came to her as she rode closer. One seemed angry -- she recognized her cousin's deep voice. Ithiel was slow to anger for his own benefit, but his trigger where Inferni was concerned was rather sensitive.

Frowning, the tawny hybrid urged Cahal to a faster clip, and they emerged from the forest as the dust-furred hybrid was walking Lystra forward deliberately. The liver chestnut horse's ears were flat against her head, and her teeth were bared. Ithiel was still barking words at the pale wolf and the coyote youth beside him. Ah, but I know you're lying -- why would a coyote of Inferni attack another coyote? Foolishness, Ithiel snapped. You -- leave, he said, pointing at the wolf. Leave the girl with me. Maybe we can save her from wolf mind-poisoning.

Ithiel, she said, her voice more sharp and commanding than she'd even intended. The dusky coyote yanked his horse to a sudden stop, his head whipping around toward her, red eyes narrowed. What are you doing? she asked, more evenly. The tawny hybrid slid from Cahal's back easily, tapping his hindquarters and letting him roam -- he never went far, anyway. She walked toward Lys, unafraid of the big chestnut, and stroked her cheek. In her presence, the big mare seemed a different creature entirely: she leaned her head against Myri's shoulder and grunted her happiness, snuffling the Consul's scent through flared nostrils.

He says he is a trader, and he has this coyote child with him, wolf as he is. He says one of Inferni attacked the little one. Liar, the drab-furred hybrid spat this last toward the wolf. Otherwise, his voice was even, but Myri saw annoyance written beneath his calm exterior. Coyotes belong with Inferni, not wolf-kind. He tried to pull Lystra away from Myrika, glancing toward the strangers. The big chestnut mare would not obey his command -- Myri was still scratching her cheek and behind her ears, seemingly mulling over what Ithiel said.

I think you should let me handle this, the redhead finally said, after her turquoise eyes had appraised the strangers a moment. They didn't look like anything to get quite so worked up about, and she thought Ithiel might be overreacting. His frown deepened into something close to a scowl, and he straightened in the saddle. You don't command me, he said flatly. We are equals now. It hadn't been so when Ithiel had first joined Inferni, to be sure, but he was the Praetorian and she was the Consul -- both of the Triumvirate.

Myrika nodded, and smiled, a disarming kind of smile that took Ithiel aback, though his face showed nothing of his surprise. No, she agreed. I don't command you, but I think you should go, all the same. She turned her bright smile toward the strangers, giving a brief nod toward them. We wouldn't want to argue in front of them, if they are pulling some kind of trick, after all, she said, winking one eye at the strangers. She did not have to turn back toward Ithiel -- the dusky-furred coyote only snorted and pulled his horse away, the sound of hoofbeats heralding his departure.

Myrika's shoulders slumped and she breathed, only glancing toward her cousin's retreating back once the hoofbeats had diminished in sound. She looked toward the strangers, smiling more weakly, and stepped forward, holding up both hands. Though she wore a small leather skirt, slitted on either side for her legs to be able to wrap around a horse, and there was a knife strapped to that skirt, she was otherwise unarmed. Sorry. He can be harsh, she said, stopping several feet from them and letting her hands drop. I'm Myrika Tears -- you're a trader? she asked, speaking toward the wolf. And who are you? she asked the younger one, bending a bit so she wouldn't be quite so tall over the littler coyote.

<style>
@import url('http://sleepyglow.net/rp/post.css');
</style>[/html]
Rain bowed to the woman. "Yes we are traders. This is Lux, my daughter. Um she has a speaking disability so I will be translating for her," he said to the woman as Lux shied away from the woman. She pulled at her large black and cream ears, her fear flowing in the breeze. Is she going to hurt me like the last woman? I am scared Da she signed and Rain sighed. He looked at the woman and asked. "She wants to know if you are going to hurt her like the other woman that met us here did. She is scared," he said softly as Lux stepped forward and touched the woman's arm softly.

"c...confu...fused..." she rasped before bringing her hand back to her throat. She wanted answers and this woman seemed nice enough. Rain stepped forward and looked at Lux softly before pulling her to him. "Your ok baby girl. I don't think this woman is going to hurt you. Maybe she will trade with you. Give you some furs or something for your carvings. Or if she can answer your questions I know you have," he said looking a Myrika with a smile
[html]

(--) Delayyyy sorry!

She stood where she was, gazing toward both of them with mild curiosity on her features. Though her ears were pricked forward, her tail did not wag. She did not mistrust Ithiel's instincts, but she knew his zealousness where it came to wolves. He was quick to judge and quicker to act in protection of their clan. She listened ot the pale wolf speak and nodded her comprehension, now beaming down at the younger canine. Myri hadn't ever dealt with a speech disability before, but she was willing to try. It would be easier with Lux there to interpret for the young coyote.

I will not hurt her, the tawny-furred hybrid promised. She could not hurt a child, no matter what -- even if Rain attacked her, she would defend herself, but she would not hurt the child. She settled down to the ground abruptly so she'd be more on a level with the youth, and motioned her closer. I promise, she said, holding up a hand as she did so. The smile returned once the solemnity of the promise disappeared. You make carvings? the hybrid asked politely. May I see them?

She glanced toward the father. What questions are these? This, too, was spoken pleasantly, but it lacked the extra nicety Myrika applied when speaking to the child. There was no reason to condescend to the father with a honey-sweet voice: he was an adult and unafraid, even after Ithiel's threats.

Myrika is by Nat!

<style>
#myriNat {
font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;
font-size:14px;
}
#myriNat p {
}
#myriNat p.sieImage {
}
#myriNat .txtooc {
font-family:georgia, serif;
#myriNat .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#myriNat b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#myriNat u { text-decoration: underline; }
#myriNat b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#myriNat b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#myriNat b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]
Lux hesitantly stepped forward and took the woman's hand. Lux looked to her father and Rain shook his head yes. She went back to Russell and pulled off a bag. She went back to Myrika and started setting things out that she had carved. some jars and bowls. Some utensils and necklaces. Lux looked to her father and started signing. "I made these when we were in Casa," Rain said as Lux gestured to the bowls and and a few of the jars. [b]"These I made on the way here," he said as she picked up the necklaces made of leather and wooden figures. Her tail wagged softly, hoping that Myrika liked what she saw. [b]"I also have bows and arrows I have carved and a staff," Rain translated with a smile.

Lux thought for a moment. She wanted to know more about her kind. Like why they had such big ears and why she felt so left out among wolves. She looked down and pulled at her ears. "Why...no one b...bu..but Da... lo...love m...me," she attempted. She had always wondered why wolves pushed her away. Why she didn't have someone interested in her
[html]

(476)

Myrika is by Kiri!

The little paw in her own was surprisingly small, surprisingly light. Myrika smiled at Lux and gave her hand a little reassuring squeeze, then let their hands fall, not wishing to make the small one nervous with any prolonged contact. Her father shuffled toward the horse and produced various trinkets, setting them out before her. Myrika was impressed by the vast array of things and how different each was. She studied them and nodded with the man's translation, keeping her eyes on either the child or the things she'd made. Somehow, that seemed more polite than keeping her gaze on Rain, even though he was the one speaking.

You have a lot of talent, especially for one so young, Myri praised, grinning. Those necklaces are very pretty. I make leather -- pelts and bags and other things, but I've never thought to make a necklace before. Would you trade me one of these? I'll call my horse and see what I have to give you in return. Myri typically carried a few essentials with her on her horse -- traders weren't uncommon and it was good to keep a few spare things around in case of encountering one. Myrika twisted her head around and looked for Cahal. The big bay stallion was grazing a few yards away; she yipped at him and waved her hand. The horse lifted his head and she waved again, motioning for him to come. He took a few steps forward and snorted. Myri made a face and waved yet again, and it was only then that the big horse came closer.

The redhead caught the animal's reins and was preparing to stand when the little hybrid asked another question, tugging at her ears. It was a question that rather abruptly shoved thoughts of trade from the hybrid's mind. Cahal dipped his head low and nudged at her shoulder, but she only stroked his cheek a moment and pushed his head away, frowning at the little coyote. She understood this question quite well.

Some wolves... think that coyotes are lesser creatures, she said. Your dad isn't one of those wolves -- I can see that plain enough. He wouldn't raise a coyote if he felt that way. I grew up near a wolf pack, and I always stood out pretty sore. Big ears, little muzzle, she said, her tawny ears flattening into the wild thicket of red hair atop her head. She didn't like remembering that part of Thornloe -- it was better to just think of her father and her sister. I know what you're going through. It'll be okay, she said, smiling in reassurance as her ears perked back up. Just remember your dad loves you, and there are coyotes in Inferni who wouldn't think twice about the way you look.

<style>
#myrikaKiri {
font-family:georgia, serif;
}
#myrikaKiri p {
}
#myrikaKiri p.sieImage {
float:left; margin:5px;
}
#myrikaKiri p.sieImage + p:first-letter {
font-size:65px;
display:block;
float:left;
margin:5px;
}
#myrikaKiri p.sieImage + p { text-indent:0; }
#myrikaKiri .txtooc {
font-family:georgia, serif
line-height:16px;
#myrikaKiri .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#myrikaKiri b { letter-spacing:-.5px; }
#myrikaKiri u { text-decoration: underline; }
#myrikaKiri b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#myrikaKiri b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#myrikaKiri b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>[/html]