Trader
[html]
Amy Sunders

Word Count → 000 :: Out of Character text.

It had been some time since she'd last been to this new pack. Amy hoped they had thought over her offer from the last time she had come to visit. If they were wise they would accept her without a doubt. If not, well. There were other ways to get into the pack. Amy wasn't above hiring proxies to do the trading for her, despite the expense it cost. Kohaku was old enough for short walks at this point. Policies in dealing with pack had been discussed in detail, emphasizing the importance of being honest.

Of course, that didn't mean say everything. It meant to speak where it was needed. Amy usually spoke only half the truth, leaving the more malicious parts hidden. Knowing that she was speaking the truth usually helped with her believability. Pausing at the border Amy let out a deep booming howl. There would be no gifts given this time. Only business. She was more than willing to accept gifts though.

<style type="text/css">
.ramasks b {font-weight:bold; color:#1a1009; text-shadow:#fefff1 0px 0px 1px; letter-spacing:1px;}
.ramasks p.ooc {font-size: 11px; text-align:left; padding:0px 30px;}
.ramasks p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.ramasks .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#1a1009; text-shadow:#fefff1 0px 0px 1px;}
.ramasks .name {font-size:60px; font-family: 'Nothing You Could Do'; text-align:center; color:#ffeb7d; padding:0px 15px 200px; text-shadow:#1a1009 1px 1px 4px;}
.ramasks p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 20px; margin:0px;}
.ramasks {width:500px; margin:0 auto; background-color:#a87340; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/LpaOl.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding:50px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#fefff1; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>

[/html]
[html]
Coli wants all your plants. >D WC: 313

Colibri was quietly toiling in the community garden, pulling weeds from where they sprang unbidden. Saul's witchhazel plant was nestled at the center of their plot, and Coli had been making frequent trips into their pine forest to sniff out new herbs and useful medicinal plants, trying to populate the garden for their pack. So far it was still a bit sparse. She knew she would need to travel further than their territory alone to find everything she wanted, but she was more reluctant to venture outside the safety of their borders now that she was no longer a loner. It was safe here, a luxury she had not enjoyed for many seasons.

The tranquil silence was broken by the sound of a howl, a commanding voice resonating from the border. Coli's ears fell back apprehensively, glancing in the direction of the village to see if anyone would answer. Her packmates were often out and about, though, wanderers by nature, and it seemed this warm afternoon they were otherwise occupied. She stood, brushing the dirt from her knees and palms, and reluctantly set off towards the edge of the pack. The call was not one she recognized, so it was unlikely to be Emmanuelle, Cassia, Eclipse, any of the females she wanted to see. As she drew nearer, she was surprised to see the shape of a covered wagon drawn by a horse. She had never seen such a thing before, since she had not been informed of the trader's previous visit with Lilin and the Stormbringer brothers. Was she looking to join them, with all her possessions? But the call had sounded so dominant...

Smoothing her long mane flat, Coli took a deep breath, trying to steel her nerves before emerging from the pine trees to greet the stranger. "Hello there, you've reached Vinátta's borders... May I help you with something?"

[/html]
[html]
Amy Sunders

Amy could smell her nervousness. Immediately the dog cheered up, spotting an easy mark. She would be easy to handle. How much would Amy be able to procure from this female? How much would she take off her? A better question was, what did she have for Amy to take? Her eyes measured over the creamy wolf, noting the dirt on her hands. Plants clung to her scent. Working in the garden? Or perhaps she'd been making a poultice.

A broad smile lit up her face. I believe you can. My name is Amy Sunders. I'm a trader. I hoped to acquire some things from this pack. Not for free, of course. I have many things that I can offer to someone who's interested. Stepping back she pulled on the canvas covering, revealing the goods that were heaped inside. It was a touch messy, but that was simply from the abundance of items that were there.

<style type="text/css">
.ramasks b {font-weight:bold; color:#1a1009; text-shadow:#fefff1 0px 0px 1px; letter-spacing:1px;}
.ramasks .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold; color:#1a1009; text-shadow:#fefff1 0px 0px 1px;}
.ramasks .name {font-size:60px; font-family: 'Nothing You Could Do'; text-align:center; color:#ffeb7d; padding:0px 15px 200px; text-shadow:#1a1009 1px 1px 4px;}
.ramasks {width:500px; margin:0 auto; background-color:#a87340; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/LpaOl.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding:50px 0px 5px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#fefff1; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>

[/html]
[html]
=) WC: 333

The trader was revealed to be a cream-furred female, her folded ears denoting dog heritage rather than the wolves she was accustomed to here in the northern territories. The dog was taller than her, and built more solidly; there was experience in her lines and the power she gained from it. Curiously enough, she was clad in colorful clothing and jewelry, a novelty for Colibri who wore only the simple necklace that the Vináttans were given upon swearing their fealty to the pack. She felt plain in comparison. The dog had a charming smile, disarming Coli as she stepped curiously forward. This was all so exotic.

She politely returned the introduction, smiling shyly at the stranger. "...It's nice to meet you, Amy Sunders. My name is Colibri Haki, a member of this pack..." Her voice trailed off as her eyes widened, fascinated by the assortment of items within the wagon. She had zero dealings with merchants in the past, since she never had anything of value to barter with, not to mention her lack of social skills. But she clearly remembered what her leaders Saul and Lilin had spoken of, the desire to promote trade with their neighboring packs, bartering for the wealth their land provided them. She straightened up with renewed determination, realizing this must be the sort of thing they spoke of. She would be a good ambassador and trade with this Amy, and perhaps this experience could make her worth something to her home.

"That's incredible, you have so many things! What are you looking to acquire? I can trade some of my plants for yours, if you have any of those..." She was craning her neck to peer at the inventory, not wanting to step too close and risk offending their owner. She hoped the prices would not be too steep, because there was not much else she could give without consulting with her leaders first. She was hoping naively that she could impress them by standing on her own.

[/html]
[html]
Amy Sunders

The brown female before her was falling apart. Weaknesses were everywhere, openly available for Amy to take advantage of. It wouldn't even be a challenge. Her sweet air reminded Amy of when she'd first met Kiara. That had been so much fun. It was a shame that Colibri, as she introduced herself, belonged to Vinatta. If it had been a pack that Amy had been less impressed with, one she thought she could get away with injuring the members, Colibri would have made a great toy.

The pure fascination in her eyes boosted Amy's spirits. Her tail swayed, head held high as Colibri looked through what was inside. This was what she lived for. Not the deaths that she dealt, or the feeling of power from being superior to another. It was a much more simple pleasure than that. Amy just loved showing new exotic things to others, offering them that taste of it, a glance into another world that they couldn't hope to enter themselves. She loved sharing it, the places she had traveled, knowing that she was a part of all of it and even greater than it as she traveled sharing what she held even further.

A bright smile lit her up as Colibri complimented what she had. It took a long time to build up what I have. Not all of it's native to this land. Some have been brought across the ocean. Amy leaned in, picking up a golden statue of Bastet, still smiling. Asked what she wished to acquire Amy's grin grew even further. It was a treasure trove! Able to take whatever she wished, in exchange for the paltry plants she held. I have many plants. Keeping them with me in the wagon in such health is difficult, so they'll be more expensive than the plants you own.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]
lolol! WC: 435

Colibri was a mistrustful soul, having been betrayed and hurt by many others in her past. If she had encountered Amy Sunders in a neutral territory, she would not be nearly so open. But she had a deeply rooted faith in the pack she had helped to found here, and she assumed that others would respect what they stood for, and not pose a threat to her. It did not occur to her that Amy might not be completely truthful about the values of their exchange; it was all new to her. New and fascinating, as the cheerful female began to show off a little. "Across the ocean...? Really?" she breathed in awe, watching the golden statue Amy handled for emphasis. It was decadence beyond her comprehension.

Coli looked a little crestfallen when Amy explained that her merchandise would have a higher worth. It made sense, though; it was difficult to transport plants for long without them wilting or losing leaves. Some were pickier than others, requiring more sunlight than a covered wagon could offer. "Would two for one be fair, then? Two of my plants for each of yours?" she asked hopefully, tilting her head. It was a wonderful opportunity to get something rare without risking her own life out in the wild lawless territories. It would be worthwhile, since she could slowly replace her own stock over time. "I... I also have some apple seedlings that were difficult to transport here," she added, reluctant to give them up because of their connection to the disbanded pack Crimson Dreams. She could part with a few, though, she did not need all of them. It would be years before they would bear fruit anyway. "I could add some of those to my offer. Or..."

Dropping her voice to a conspirator's whisper, she edged a little closer to the trader, adding, "If... you collect poison, I have some nightshade and jimson weed flowers and leaves. They can be boiled to create a liquid form, or swallowed whole." Her packmates did not know she collected poisons, and she did not want to tell them unless she had to. But it was possible this dog would be interested in them, being a female loner that surely had to defend herself from time to time. It had not been that long ago that Coli herself lived that way, and if not for her little hobby, she would not be alive now. It made her nervous to mention it aloud, though, cringing as she expected a negative reaction. She just hoped that would be enough to work out a trade.

[/html]
Amy was practically glowing from the admiration being showered down on her. It wasn't often that someone truly recognized the effort she put into her trade. Bargaining and reasoning with all kinds of canines. She had to be sharp in her wit and tongue, able to physically settle problems, and keep thieves away. Most took this for granted, but this was truly the life she lived for. Amy had left Europe to pursue this, and at this moment Amy held no regrets. Her tail wagged brightly behind her, joyful as she shared what she had in the wagon.

The disappointment on the wolf's face didn't deter Amy in the slightest. She would earn her trade. Amy could earn anything she wished for, and often did so with ease. Sure enough, Colibri perked back up, coming up with items so she could trade for a portion of the plants that Amy had with her. The offer was fantastic, worth more than the plants truly were. Amy decided that having it all wouldn't be such a bad thing. Her plants were well cared for. As long as the customer felt that she had gained her worth, that was what mattered. Your offer is enough. I will take two plants for each one of mine, a couple apple seedlings, and three small pouches of your poison. A fair enough deal.
[html]
WC: 345

Colibri envied females like Amy, strong and smart enough to handle herself out there in the wild. Amy could easily fit in with a pack, with all her skills and knowledge and possessions, but she had willingly chosen the life of a traveling merchant instead. It was incredible to her. There was a brief moment of tension in which Coli fidgeted anxiously, unsure if her offer was enough. Her expressive blue eyes were focused on Amy's face, looking for any signals; but the experienced trader kept a calm facade, not betraying anything to her customer. Finally the dog spoke; they had struck a deal. Coli sighed with relief, a pleased smile wreathing her muzzle. She had done it! She had actually negotiated with a stranger and now they were trading for the first time ever, how exciting! "Pl-please wait right here, I'll go and get everything for you," she stammered quickly, waving her hands for emphasis. They were so close to a successful transaction, she couldn't let it fall apart now.

"Erm, how many total will you be trading to me?" she added after a moment, tilting her head inquisitively. She needed to know how many she had to double to bring back, after all. The pouches of poison would be easy enough to replace, for she had mapped out the locations of the useful plants in the nearby woods. The apple seedlings not so much, but she had collected a fair amount of them when she had made her trip to the orchard, and losing several to Amy in order to sweeten the deal would not be the end of the world. She would certainly be busy today, planting all the new and fantastic flora she would receive, and then scouring the forests to replenish what she had to trade away. She had not gotten a close look at the plants stashed in the magnificent wagon, but she thought she saw a raspberry bush, and that alone would be a wonderful addition to the communal garden. Tea in the summer, preserves for the winter...

[/html]
[html]
Amy Sunders

Amy smiled as the customer burst out with pleasure and excitement. It looked like she was completely overwhelmed with what had just happened. This was typical for her, easy to deal with. Her excitement was enjoyable. It reminded Amy so much of why she had chosen this. Amy had given up her life in Europe for these precious moments of negotiation, and the pure pleasure of awing other about what she held.

Tail wagging she nodded as the shy wolf turned to go get what she was to trade. I have seven plants for you. Getting fourteen, plus the poison in return, was an amazing deal. Turning Amy started sorting through her plants. She certainly wouldn't be giving the entire thing away. Amy divided out the roots of the sage, taking off a smaller section that would grow and flourish when planted, the same done with the catnip and meadowsweet plant. Cuttings were taken from the witch hazel, aloe vera plant, raspberry bush, and the rose plant. They would all do well planted if cared for properly.

<style type="text/css">
</style>

[/html]
[html]
coli likes plants a lot. >_>
WC: 714

Coli nodded resolutely and turned, dashing back through the thick copse of pine trees that made up their pack's border. Excitement lent speed to her paws; she had glimpsed the plants she was being traded, and they were all worthwhile, even for the communal herb garden. Meadowsweet root could be chewed to relieve headaches, catnip had numbing effects, sage had antibiotic and astringent qualities. She knew all of them on sight, and this would be an excellent trade. When she reached her house, she barely paused to catch her breath before pushing the creaky door open. Her home was small, more like a den with no windows, furniture, or separate rooms; she kept the fur pouches of poison in a neat bundle underneath one of the cloaks Emma brought her. She kept meaning to give that cloak to Lilin, but she liked having the reminder that she had a friend somewhere else in the north. She plucked up three of them, noting that she only had one left, and strung them onto the necklace cord around her throat. There, that was the easy part. Then she burst back outside, the bright sunlight shining down on the many wildflowers she had planted around her small house.

Kneeling, she gently scooped the soft loam in her hands, shaking the clumps free from the roots so that she could separate the individual stalks. She needed two of each to trade; that should be doable, she had several of each variety. The sentimental side of her hoped they would be well cared for, and that they could be traded to another gardener in a different pack who would appreciate them the way she did. First was the wild chamomile, bright daisy-like flowers upturned to the sunlight. Next was the fly honeysuckle, common within the coniferous forests but rare everywhere else. It would bear little berries soon, a favorite for songbirds. Beggarticks and her yellow lady slipper orchids were next, gingerly uprooted and laid out on the grass in a neat stack. Her garden was going to look rather bare after this, until she could scavenge replacements. She still lamented that she could not find pink lady slippers anywhere, not since she had them in Dahlia de Mai.

That was all the wildflowers she had found here in the northern territories, so she had to dole out some of her precious southern plants. Marsh marigold was handled delicately, since the bruised leaves and stems could cause irritations and rashes. She would warn Amy if the trader was not familiar with them. Blue-bead lilies and blue flag irises were last on the pile, and that made the colorful bouquet complete. She wiped a bead of sweat from her nosetip, the sun warm on her face and shoulders. She would be sure to water everything after this, old and new. Oh, and the apple seedlings; reluctantly Coli unearthed the three she had planted above the roof of her earth home. The rest had been planted in the Vinátta vineyard, but she kept these three close to remind her of where they had come from. They would never pollinate in such a small grouping, though, so there wasn't much point in keeping them separated this way. She gathered the fourteen flowers and three seedlings in her arms, and began jogging back in the direction of Amy and her marvelous cart.

It took her longer on the return trip, since she was trying to be as careful as possible not to jostle her precious cargo. She breathed a sigh of relief once the cart was once again visible through the screen of pine trees; Amy was still waiting, as she had promised. "H... here I am," she panted, closing the distance between them. Her first trade was going to be a success. She knelt so that she could spread out the bundle of stems on the ground, seven species with duplicates, plus the twiggy apple saplings. Then she untied her necklace cord with a claw, pulling off the three fur pouches for Amy. "That should be everything we discussed," she added breathlessly, recounting them in her head to make sure. She wanted to be a good ambassador for her pack, not one who made a foolish counting error in her first transaction.

[/html]
The plants she had out for the trade were carefully organized, ready for her to carry back. Amy had a drink in one hand, sipping on it as she waited for her to return. It was a hot day, so she wanted to stay comfortable. At last Colibri tottered into view. Amy smiled broadly, nodding her head as she looked at the various plants. She counted over each one, taking in what they were. This would be good. One of he best trades she'd had for a while.

That is all. It's very good. High quality. She smiled at the naive wolf, tail swaying. Taking her part of the trade she proceeded to carefully pack them in the wagon for travel. It took some time, moving things around so that it would fit. Turning to Colibri she smiled. It was wonderful trading with you. I will come back to trade again. She would love it if she could get more deals like that. So wealthy. Moving to the head of the wagon she touched the horse, and walked off with the wagon to her next destination.