school of mules
[html]
Word Count :: 362 Kinda random, but at least I'm writing. x3

Handling his horse had become second nature for Skoll. He struggled at the beginning, unsure of how to interact with a beast at a lower level than him, but Alder was patient and had coached the boy through taking care of her and relating with her to make their partnership work. The actual skill of riding had come as well, since Hwin was used to different handlers from her time as a communal horse in the merchant pack, and the blonde boy was a quick learner. She still checked him sometimes, forgiving all but the most mundane errors and showcasing her stubbornness at inopportune moments.

Presently, for example, the bay sabino had decided that the grass was greener on the other side of the pasture, and she had to have it. The prince meant to keep her near the stables, letting her graze in sight of the building before taking her to the ring for some exercise and bonding, but she dug her hooves in the ground and refused to budge another inch. It wasn’t miscommunication this time—the boy made his commands clear and even added one of the very few, accented phrases of low speech he knew—but simple obstinacy on the part of the equine.

“Are you sure you aren’t a mule?” Skoll asked loudly, and then dropped the lead in exasperation, throwing his hands up. The horse tossed her head, jerking the rope even further from his reach, and lifted her head smugly. One normally mild eye regarded him mischievously as she turned to the side, flicking her dark tail. “Okay, you win, now what?” he asked, scowling.

In answer, the mare trotted toward him, pawing at the air with her dark hoof. Suddenly, she reached out and lipped his messy blonde hair before whinnying and whirling around, her tail carried high as she cantered away from the stables. He blinked then growled playfully and chased after her, waving his arms and herding her back toward the area. It became a game, the horse trying to figure out how to get past the boy, who did his best to block her in—both tireless in spirit and body.

I will beat the odds;
I can go the distance.
I will face the world:
fearless, proud and strong.
I will please the gods;
I can go the distance,
till I find my hero's welcome,
right where I belong.

Image courtesy of Stuck in Customs

<style>
.GR2_SkollH2 p {padding:0px 15px 5px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;}
.GR2_SkollH2 b {font-family:garamond; color:#494d68; font-size:14px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_SkollH2 {background-color:#827d69; font-family:verdana; font-size:11px; color:#322f2a; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/xycrR.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:210px 0px 5px 0px; border:5px solid #494d68; margin:0 auto; border-radius:18px; -moz-border-radius:18px; -webkit-border-radius:18px; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.GR2_SkollH2 .inner {margin:0 10px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Zu6hJ.png); border-radius:10px; border:2px solid #494d68; }
.GR2_SkollH2 .name {text-align:right; font-family:Almendra SC; font-size:60px; text-shadow:#102015 1px 1px 1px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; line-height:33px; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_SkollH2 .lyrics {color:#d0dadf; text-align:center; font-family:Fresca; font-size:11px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; line-height:10px; }
.GR2_SkollH2 .ooc {text-align:left; font-family:verdana; font-size:9px; border-bottom:2px dotted #090c19; padding:5px 15px 0px 15px; }
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>
[/html]
[html]
it's okay! I'm pretty random too

Silvano put his hand on the nose of the horse. The colt's eyes were shut as he snorted in the man's palm, sniffing the familiar scent. Silv stroked the creature's nose as his eyes opened up. The colt was getting taller, his muscles were filling out his thick frame, and his joints were adjusting properly. That hand ran down the colt's neck, wondering how well Heritage would run when he hit two and the bone structure was good and ready to handle a full sized rider. For now, all that the colt could handle was easy carting and short rides. He was only a year and a half, not even. But soon, Silvano could ride him and go wherever he pleased quickly. It would make things that much easier.

Clicking his tongue slightly, the Sadira slipped on the bridle that he had in his free hand onto the horse's neck. It was a bit-less one, and Heritage swished his ears against the shift. Bouncing his head as Silvano attached the lead, he stamped his feet as the door swiveled open. It banged against the other stall, causing the horse there to whinny loudly at Silvano in annoyance. He could only flinch as he led his own colt out the stable after closing the stall door. The stall needed mucking out, and Heritage needed a run. The two of them were working well for the day, and the horse seemed perfectly happy to listen. That was definitely good for the young man who was not in the mood to deal with a horse too finicky to listen.

He led the colt into the pasture so that the creature can run his little heart out and nibble on the summer grass. But the two of them stopped in tune, after having been together for a year. After Liliana's arrival during the war, the two of them had stayed together in Crimson Dreams. After Liliana's death, Heritage became his and his alone. The two of them stared in unison to the younger male chasing after a mare, screaming some sort of low speech. Heritage snorted, bemusement in his eyes. What was it with this place and the two of them stumbling upon men fooling around with their animals in funny ways.

Heritage's eyes gleamed, and Silvano grinned crookedly as he undid the lead. The colt took off after the mare, whinnying loudly at her. He was definitely going to be a proud stallion, though he would definitely be checked for his youth and inexperienced. Heritage, regardless, wanted to test the waters. And the waters seemed to be a mare messing with her master.

<style type="text/css">
.silmarc2-box {width:259px;height:323px;float:right;}
.silmarc2 b {font-weight:bold; color:#f8eed7; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; }
.silmarc2 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.silmarc2 {margin:0 auto; width:90%; max-width:700px; background-color:#c2a070; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/BgVET.png); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #623117; padding: 10px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#623117; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style> [/html]
[html]
Word Count :: 300 Sorry for wait. :c

Skoll breathed hard as he jumped in front of the mare, thrusting his arms out and barking when she pivoted away on her one fully black leg; the three white-socked ones moved quickly in rhythm to propel her away from her canine charge. She neighed over her shoulder at him as he scrambled to keep up—but then a chestnut shape flew after her instead with a high whinny.

Hwin half-reared, although it was only to stop herself and turn away from the eager colt. Confusion was evident in her dark eyes for a moment, but the next she reached over and aimed a playful nip at the young horse before snorting and galloping onward—revealing that she’d held back on her speed with her usual handler. She fully showcased her speed now, daring for the colt to catch up, her body fixed with her brand of stubborn determination.

The blonde boy laughed, doubled-over, with his hands braced on his knees. He maintained the position as he caught his breath, even though he still felt like he could take off again if he wanted. He was curious to know where the healthy-looking colt had come from, however, and his green eyes scanned the pasture as he lifted his head. He finally spied another wolf, a good half a foot taller than him and mottled with lupine browns and blacks.

“Hello!” Skoll called over, straightening and adopting what he hoped was gallant, princely posture. He pushed his hair out of his eyes and strode over to the stranger; a sniff told him that it was a new member, although not one he’d properly met. He grinned brightly then gestured toward the colt, who Hwin was still attempting to lead on a merry chase. “Is that your horse? He looks really good.”

I will beat the odds;
I can go the distance.
I will face the world:
I will please the gods;
I can go the distance,
right where I belong.

<style>
.GR2_SkollH2 b {font-family:garamond; color:#494d68; font-size:14px; font-weight:bold; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_SkollH2 {background-color:#827d69; font-family:verdana; font-size:11px; color:#322f2a; line-height:16px; width:500px; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/xycrR.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:210px 0px 5px 0px; border:5px solid #494d68; margin:0 auto; border-radius:18px; -moz-border-radius:18px; -webkit-border-radius:18px; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.GR2_SkollH2 .inner {margin:0 10px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/Zu6hJ.png); border-radius:10px; border:2px solid #494d68; }
.GR2_SkollH2 .name {text-align:right; font-family:Almendra SC; font-size:60px; text-shadow:#102015 1px 1px 1px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; line-height:33px; letter-spacing:1px;}
.GR2_SkollH2 .lyrics {color:#d0dadf; text-align:center; font-family:Fresca; font-size:11px; padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; line-height:10px; }
.GR2_SkollH2 .ooc {text-align:left; font-family:verdana; font-size:9px; border-bottom:2px dotted #090c19; padding:5px 15px 0px 15px; }
p.template-credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:10px; font-style:italic; width:425px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;}</style>
[/html]
[html]
don't worry about it c:

Silvano watched his colt race off without hesitation. Heritage had a stubborn determination in his eyes and all his muscles seemed ready to go. They twitched beneath the groomed equine's skin, fluctuating with every pumping movement of his legs. His focus was clearly on the mare, who had noticed him fairly quickly. Far from being discouraged, the growing stallion ran after her, his breath hard as he fought to keep pace with a fully grown mare on a colt's partially trained legs. He might have almost reached his full growth but he was no distance runner quite yet. Silvano eyed the two of them, shaking his head at his reckless riding horse. He was being trained as a riding and warhorse, yet he kept playing around like the yearling colt he was.

The Sadira smiled back at the younger male who called out to him. Covering his eyes slightly, he waved back as the blonde approached him. He noticed the blonde hybrid straightened, to make a good impression, no doubt. He had dog blood, to have a tail that curled so much, and probably a good portion of his blood at that. Silvano knew that the other leader was a dog, or hybrid - he couldn't quite recall what he had been told, so perhaps his son? But he had not met even a third of the pack yet, so perhaps not. Oh, how he missed all his siblings and cousins; they made up all of Crimson Dreams so it was easy to know a newcomer from the get go.

"Yes, he's mine. My little dummy. Still growing into himself, he is," he said with fondness, watching Heritage playfully nip at the mare's flanks as he struggled to stay behind her. Silvano put out a hand for the other male, palm up. "Silvano Sadira."

<style type="text/css">
.silmarc2 b {font-weight:bold; color:#f8eed7; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; }
.silmarc2 {margin:0 auto; width:90%; max-width:700px; background-color:#c2a070; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/BgVET.png); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #623117; padding: 10px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#623117; letter-spacing:.3px; word-spacing:.8px; line-height:12.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style> [/html]
[html]

The colt was in very good condition, that was for sure, and he seemed to have an ambition that might match the mare’s stubbornness. It was nice to watch them run, even though Skoll wasn’t an equine connoisseur like Alder. He’d once thought that he would want to spend his whole life taking care of them like the Marshall did, but while his appreciation for the creatures remained high, there were just too many things to do with his yet-young life to settle down and pour all of his energy into caring for the beasts. He contented himself with Hwin and on being a good handler and rider.

The blonde wolfdog chuckled at the reply as he approached the strong-looking stranger, one who certainly embodied the knight’s build and carriage that the boy dreamed he’d have growing up. He grinned as he followed his gaze, knowing that Hwin would pull out all the stops to make the foal rethink his arrogance. Caught up in watching the horses, he was startled by the other’s outstretched hand and took it quickly for a (would-be) manly shake.

“Skoll Haskel,” the prince was prompted into saying, adopting the other’s simple way of giving his name. He didn’t feel as inclined to add his title anymore, or boast of his heritage; his last name told the story, and hopefully others would find more reason to respect him besides the fact that he was a prince. “So did you just join recently?” he asked, dropping his hand at his side and pushing his unruly mane out of his eyes again. “Do you like the Court so far?” His voice adopted a hopeful edge.

I will beat the odds;
I can go the distance.
I will face the world:
I will please the gods;
I can go the distance,
right where I belong.

<style>
[/html]
[html]

So it was a son of the leader. Someone much like him, or who he had been. In Crimson Dreams, he had been Savina's only son - well, not counting Gotham who was rarely home for long and was mostly absent for his childhood. That made Skoll a Prince, though from what he could tell, there many other young princes and princesses to share his title. The young man gave a good handshake, and the Sadira beamed back at him. This one seemed strong, and he felt like any other warrior he had known staring at him when he had been younger. Whatever this boy was, he loved his horse and that was something that Silvano could definitely appreciate. "Pleasure," he said after they dropped their hands and he had shoved his into his pants. It was genuine and sincere, but he was rarely a liar.

The Sadira rolled his shoulders and shrugged at the younger male. "Fairly so, yes," he said, brushing the dark hair out of his eyes as he peered at his colt. Heritage seemed determined despite how tired he looked and probably felt. Granted, the creature could be trying to lull the mare into a false sense of victory, since Silvano knew that there was still plenty of energy left in the young stallion's body. He ignored the playful whinnies the colt produced as he chased the mare, trying his damn best to catch her. Silvano shook his head at him, and gazed back at the King's son. "Well, not terribly. I'm from Crimson Dreams, and when it disbanded, I had to go somewhere. So I came here." Silvano gestured to the mare running from his roguish colt. "She your's?"

<style type="text/css">
</style> [/html]
[html]
Word Count :: 309

Silvano smiled during the handshake, and giddy pleasure warmed Skoll’s belly; the look on the man’s face was like that of acceptance, or at least the boy guessed. Despite his self-confidence, the boy was overeager to receive praise from others, spoken or not. He desperately wanted to live up to the expectations of a king’s son, and while his idolization of his father had died down from its obsessive and overcompensating levels, he was still very much proud of whom he was. Now that Liam had gone, he felt like he was the oldest remaining son and special because of it, with a lot more responsibility on his shoulders to do well.

The other shrugged at his question and explained that he’d come from Crimson Dreams, the former neighbors of the Kingdom. Ginger ears fell back into his messy mane, and he remembered feeling sick and sad at the thought of the pack just disappearing. “You knew Alder’s family, then?” Skoll asked, almost timidly. He’d liked Oak a lot, and the thought that the Marshall’s brother was now out there probably without a home made him sad. He tried to hide how upset he was, though, facing the horses again suddenly. Other young canines might get emotional, but he was a prince, and he was going to be a great warrior someday, so he couldn’t afford that.

Following the Sadira’s gesture, the creamy wolfdog smiled again. “She is,” he said, hiding the boastfulness behind his words; he was very proud that he was the first of his siblings to get a horse, even if all of them seemed to have an affiliation with the creatures. “Her name’s Hwin. She came from Cercatori d’Arte and was a gift. Alder taught me how to take care of her and ride her.” His tail gave a few flourishing wags at the thought.

I will beat the odds;
I can go the distance.
I will face the world:
I will please the gods;
I can go the distance,
right where I belong.

<style>
[/html]
[html]
I'm sorry for the wait, Raze
wordcount ► 314

Silvano nodded at the other youth, watching where he looked when he turned away. He thought nothing of it, choosing to follow his colt frolicking, sweat drenched - again. Shaking his head, the Sadira realized that Skoll had no idea that he had bobbed his head in answer. He cleared his throat, then said, "Yes, I know them." His emerald gaze trailed across to the colt and mare, and the other horses eying everything with great scrutiny. "Their mother is like an aunt to me," he said, with some sadness permeating into his words. He did not know where Anu was, nor did he know where Oak and Cypress were. After the pack had broken up, they had left for somewhere else. Last he heard, they had remained loners without a pack. They ought to have joined their brother and 'cousins' here, for family's sake. But, in the end it was all up to them.

Alder taught him to ride? Perhaps the slightly younger male would be able to teach his 'cousin' more about horse training, since he found himself out of his league with the clever stallion. Books were well and good, but dealing with an almost full grown stallion was an entirely different ordeal. Alder would be a help, and he knew that he ought to seek out the Court's Marshall for that kind of assistance. "Mine was a gift, of sorts, I think. It was almost a year ago that he became 'mine', that I can really not remember if my father traded anything for him or not." Silvano crossed his arms over his chest, raising a brow at his precocious prince of a colt. "What are you training her in?" he asked as he started to walk to the colt, who was clearly getting frustrated in his attempts to chase the mare. For now, he was the untrained one.

Photo taken by Luana. Table style inspired by Kitty.

<style>
.silv_01 {padding:5px 0px 115px 0px; width:500px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/TNRWU.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-color:#f5fbf9; border: 1px solid #b8d7d3; font-family:verdana;font-size:11px; line-height:13px;}
.silv_01 .inner {margin:0 15px; padding: 5px 4px 0px 4px;text-align:justify;}
.silv_01b {width:502px; border: 1px solid #51704f; margin:0 auto; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.silv_01 .ooc {text-align:left; color:#51704f; font-size:10px; border-bottom:1px dashed #021d3c; }
.silv_01 .wc {color:#51704f; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; text-align:right; padding:0px 15px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 0px 10px 5px;}
.silv_01 p {padding:0px 1px 5px 1px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;color:#1b5c28;}
.silv_01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#1b5921;}
p.strel01_credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:11px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;color:#000;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Word Count :: 315 It's cool! I was on vacation anyway, and I never mind a wait as long as it isn't a month or something. xD

Skoll could hear sadness echoing in the other’s tone, and he dipped his muzzle slightly in conclusion of that topic, staring at his feet in a very un-prince-like fashion. He still didn’t quite know the reason why Crimson Dreams had disbanded, but he knew there was no point in wishing that it had returned. At least there were plenty of other neighbors they had good relations with, such as the merchant pack he’d visited, and the warrior one where his friend came from. All he could hope for was that Alder’s family was safe and sound and dry, wherever they were.

“I think…” the blonde boy said slowly and carefully, “I think they know they can come here. Like, if they need it, the Kingdom will welcome them, so I think they’re okay if they can take care of themselves out there.” He was half trying to convince himself, but hopefully it would make the Sadira feel better, too.

Hwin slowly began to slow down, pretty lathered herself from the galloping, when she noticed that Silvano had come to collect the colt. She stopped in front of the young horse and reached over, nipping at his chestnut mane playfully, before prancing over to Skoll with a cocky toss of her head. He had to grin, only because she was generally down-to-earth, but he guessed she got her kicks from picking on younglings anyway. He gestured for her to come closer and rubbed her muzzle with a smile before tilting his head at the knight’s question.

“I’m not really training her in anything, really,” Skoll admitted. “I mean, she knows how to pull a cart already, and other than working on riding her I haven’t done very much. I don’t think she’s like, the warhorse type, if that’s what you mean.” He hesitated then ventured to ask, “Do you think I should train her in something?”

I will beat the odds;
I can go the distance.
I will face the world:
I will please the gods;
I can go the distance,
right where I belong.

<style>
[/html]
[html]
I CAN STILL BE SORRY /qq's
wordcount ► 371

The mare nipped at his mane and the colt fumbled futilely at her with his jaws. His teeth protruded as he jut his neck out as she passed him, but he bit nothing but air with a clank. He twisted around, albeit slowly and clumsily, to follow after the mare. He huffed out air, knowing that he was the one who was weaker here. His mood was clearly foul as he slowly walked back to his master, then suddenly puffing out his chest and setting his neck straight as he eyed the mare with disdain. Heritage did not take such blows to the ego, especially when he had felt he could have done a lot better. All he had done was nip at the wind and barely bite at her tail, and he was not happy. He let Silvano touch him momentarily before moving away from the mare in a huff, like a hormonal woman.

The Sadira eyed the young man and thought about the question. "I think you should do what you think you'll use..," he said at last, after a good moment of thought, and glances at his finicky colt who kept blowing hot air and sending glances back at the trio. He kept snorting at them, then flicking his tail back at them in a huff. Silvano chuckled at the colt's behavior, putting his hands on his waist as he watched Heritage behave like a child. "For example, that aggravated creature is being trained for carrying heavier loads, some carting, heavy riding, and eventually some battle training." He left out the part that he had no idea where to begin training the stallion to be a warhorse. He knew only Liliana and had no luck at Casa, but they were all busy perhaps. "If you just want a riding companion, keep it like that. I know Heritage is smart enough to make the distinction between friend and foe, but it's a risk I'll be taking." He sniffed a bit, shaking his head at the colt again. "But I figure better have a battle companion than dead flesh. Though, I really don't hope to find myself in that situation." Better safe than sorry, though.

Photo taken by Luana. Table style inspired by Kitty.

<style>
.silv_01 {padding:5px 0px 115px 0px; width:500px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/TNRWU.jpg); background-position: bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; background-color:#f5fbf9; border: 1px solid #b8d7d3; font-family:verdana;font-size:11px; line-height:13px;}
.silv_01 .inner {margin:0 15px; padding: 5px 4px 0px 4px;text-align:justify;}
.silv_01b {width:502px; border: 1px solid #51704f; margin:0 auto; box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -moz-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d; -webkit-box-shadow:2px 2px 3px #1d1d1d;}
.silv_01 .ooc {text-align:left; color:#51704f; font-size:10px; border-bottom:1px dashed #021d3c; }
.silv_01 .wc {color:#51704f; letter-spacing:0px; font-size:10px; font-weight:bold; text-align:right; padding:0px 15px; text-transform:uppercase; margin:0px 0px 10px 5px;}
.silv_01 p {padding:0px 1px 5px 1px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px;color:#1b5c28;}
.silv_01 b {font-weight:bold; color:#1b5921;}
p.strel01_credit {text-indent:0px; text-align:center; font-size:11px; text-align:center; margin:0px auto;color:#000;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]
Word Count :: 302

Skoll did not have the horsemanship skills that other luperci were blessed with. He loved Hwin very much, and he enjoyed the feel of their muscles working together when she galloped across the hills, but he simply didn't see himself training her to do much more than that or care for any horse besides her. He was not Alder -- and he was not even Hati, who seemed to want to follow in the Marshall's footsteps; a fact that the sun prince resented, although he tried to hide it. As these thoughts crossed his mind, his green eyes darkened, but his visage was not accustomed to holding a scowl for very long.

He especially couldn't be upset when he saw huffy Heritage. He grinned and shot a look at Hwin, just as he might glance cheekily at another canine, but the horse was content to stand and pretend that the colt didn't even exist. He hoped that didn't come back to bite her later.

"Yeah, Hwin is just a riding companion," Skoll said, glad to be able to put it into words. "I think she could take care of herself if there was trouble though," he added, because mostly he wanted it to be true. He couldn't see himself riding the mare in battle, as he'd said, but he didn't want her to become "dead flesh" just because she wasn't war-trained. He guessed she'd figure some way to stay out of trouble, though.

"What about you?" the boy blurted suddenly, his tail curling and wiggling back and forth. He realized this statement made little sense and clarified quickly, not missing a beat. "I mean, do you know how to fight? You look like you do. That's what I want to learn, myself. I want to be a soldier and protect the pack."

I will beat the odds;
I can go the distance.
I will face the world:
I will please the gods;
I can go the distance,
right where I belong.

<style>
[/html]