a wish for wings that work
[html]
The coyote with the strange hat had lead the young girl all the way in to the lands, toward the cabin that supposedly held her father. From the sounds of it, he wasn't doing well, and the thought of it immediately sent her heart racing through her chest. She was almost trembling, fearing the worst and wondering just how bad it actually was. Did they know what he had? How long? Once they reached the small shack Rachias turned to Laurel, tipping head lightly. "Thank you." Her words a quiet whisper, trying to contain the panic that was quickly inching up inside of her. She wanted to believe that she would find him alive and well, that it was all just a bad joke, but as she opened the door she knew that it was all the truth.

The scent that hit her nose was a mishmash of others, mingled with the stale scent of sickness that was thick in the air. The first thing that she was as she slipped inside was the younger male, resting quietly on the bed close to the door. As her head turned, blue eyes sweeping across the room, she spotted him there on the floor. The sight of him there immediately brought the threat of tears to her eyes, forcing her across the room and to his side. She dropped then, falling to the floor on her knees immediately, laying one hand against his chest and the other against his arm. "Daddy?" She practically squeaked, being as quiet as she could but loud enough so that he might hear her.

The girl waited a moment longer, brushing at the fur that lined her father's body, head titled carefully to the side. "Daddy? It's Rachias."

[/html]
[html]

Time didn't exist where he was. Moments passed, but somehow, nothing really changed. It was everything he'd ever known simultaneously, floating in a place that neither physics nor metaphysics could never explain. He couldn't remember how he'd gotten there or why the fog was so thick. After all, the only place that had fog like this was gone. How strange. Laruku was aware that he was lying on the ground and that his body was warmer than it should be, but he could no longer remember that he was ill or that he was, possibly, dying. He understood without understanding anything. It was exactly like a dream.

A warm hand touched him and he shuddered. Red eyes snapped open, but they were hazy and dull, refusing to focus. A blur of colors and a shape. He couldn't smell anything; his nose was stopped up. But her voice was loud. He could still hear; he could still feel. The bitterness in his mouth said that he could still taste too. Rachias, he said, smiling a little though he didn't know it. I'm glad you're okay. He couldn't remember whether or why she'd been gone. Or why anyone else was gone. Where were all the people in the world? He missed all of them. Did you find your brother? It was funny somehow, he spoke like he knew what he was saying, but he didn't really at all.

[/html]
[html]
The feeling of warmth on his skin only made the concern on her face grow. He was practically radiating heat, much more than he should have been, and it only made her worry for him worse. The girl wondered for a brief moment, as she stared down at him, whether or not she should have ever left. She had accomplished nothing by returning to their old home. She hadn't found Arkham, she'd wasted time that could have been well spent with her father, and she had only come back to find him unwell, possibly dying even. They'd had issues in the past, things that Rachias never imagined she would get over, but in those few moments at his side, all of the problems were gone and lost forever. None of it mattered anymore, it never did.

"Oh daddy.." She whispered the words, pulling her hand from his arm to bring it lightly against his forehead, feeling for the fever that she was certain had taken him. "I couldn't find Arkham." Her answer was quiet and hesitant, feeling her nose clog in an instant, sniffling quietly. The sandy girl removed her hand from his head then, rubbing at one eye gently before placing it back on his arm. "I found you though." She assured him, trying to force a smile despite the extreme dread that had sudden filled her. Was she losing him now? She should have never gone away for so long. "How do you feel?"

[/html]
[html]

He wasn't really sure when anything had changed, and maybe it never had to, but like many other things that had come to him since the fever had caught him, he was, for one reason or another, acutely aware of the fact that he loved his daughter. Nevermind that a slut and a monster had created her, and nevermind that she'd been a burden he'd been unwilling to bear. The initial touch had almost hurt, but the ones that came afterwards were oddly comforting, if not a little terrifying. Touch was something he often deprived himself of; it had been, and still was to some extent, his belief that the only reason anyone would want to touch him was to kill him.

You're a good girl, he said, though he wasn't sure what he was responding to. I'm fine, the hybrid continued, I can walk. He laughed, though it was a weak and strained sound. And it was a joke no one would understand, though it wasn't that funny anyway.

[/html]
[html]
His words brought a small, painful smile to her face, but it was an honest smile. She might have cried because of his words right then and there, if it weren't for the fact that she felt she needed to be strong. She had to be strong for him, he who seemed blissfully unaware that there might be something terribly wrong. Her fingers traced small letters in to his fur, words that she wasn't even thinking about, but did have a meaning. The girl lifted a her hand again, this time to wipe away an actual tear that escaped her eye, dared to stain her fur. Rachias sucked in a sharp breath, willing away the sadness and the worry, the tears that fought to escape.

"You don't have to walk anywhere, okay? If you need something I can get it for you." She assured him, taking a moment to finally look around the small shack. There was a bucket of water near, nestled up against the bed that the younger male rested on, and she leaned away from her father a moment, reaching for it to pull it closer. It seemed clear, at the very least, and when she put her muzzle down near it the water didn't hold any strange or stale scent. Lacking any sort of cloth though, Rachias dipped her hand into the water, soaking it thoroughly and finally shaking away the excess. The girl placed the hand on her father's head then, just on his brow, and slid it carefully back until the point she reached the middle of his ears. "Are you thirsty?"

[/html]
[html]

He couldn't see her smile, just a big cream blur and the glint of blue eyes. Where had she gotten those from? They grew up fast. He was glad she didn't really look like him or her mother. Laruku had thought about death while clinging to the tree outside the cottage in the woods, but he wasn't really thinking about it now. If he cared to consider it, he had considered himself dead many times over already, not just from all the incidents that should be resulted in it. The world had taken things from him that he didn't even realize, had stolen away pieces of him in the night and never looked back. It was all the things that made him feel like a ghost wandering through the forest, like no one could see him or touch him or hear him.

But he walked to walk somewhere, he wanted to protest, except that he couldn't think where somewhere might be. A little voice had to keep reminding him that he had no where to go, no where to belong anymore. The hybrid shuddered and squeezed his eyes shut at the cold water. In reality, it probably wasn't that cold, but the contrast to his body temperature made it feel like ice. Was he thirsty? His throat was dry and clammy. Yes, he said, opening his eyes again. Laruku shifted and rolled onto his side, trying to push off with his arm into a sitting position. His muscles felt like they hadn't moved in ages and needle-like pinpricks ran up his arms like a thousand spiders. Still, he managed to sit himself against the wall and squinted, trying to focus on Rachias more clearly. Y'r not back at Inferni, are you?

[/html]
[html]
Before he even answered she was already searching the room for something to get him some water in, a cup or a bowl or something of that sort. It took her only a few moments to spot the small box of dishes hiding beneath a table near the bed. He was sitting up by the time that she turned back to him and she smiled at him a moment. "I'll be right back daddy." And she removed her hands from him, scooting away from him and leaning long enough for her to get to the box. "No. I decided not to go back to Inferni." She said quietly, unsure. Would he be disappointed that she hadn't? He'd spent so long trying to convince her to go back there and stay away from Clouded Tears, she could only assume that he still wanted her there now.

She rummaged through the box a bit more before finding what she wanted, a small shallow bowl, and removed it. Rachias was back at his side in only a short moment, dusting out the small tin bowl with her hand. "I don't wanna fight all the time." Her voice was quiet, feeling like she needed to explain herself to him. "I don't wanna have to run wolves off all the time or avoid them because I'm from Inferni." She continued on, sliding the bowl in to the bucket of water to fill it as she spoke. "I don't think they're bad and I don't think they want to hurt me just because I'm not like them." She had lived so long in Clouded Tears, after all, and no one had tried to hurt her then. Wiping away the excess water from the outer portions of the bowl, she held it up to him. "Here you go."

[/html]
[html]

He had always been afraid that somehow, he would end up hurting his children like he had hurt Ire (you killed him, darling). It had terrified him more than the prospect that Kaena would brainwash them into hating wolves, like some of her previous litters. It had terrified him more than the prospect of them growing up to hate him (you would have deserved it), or otherwise becoming psychopaths, products of a diseased monarch on a bloody throne. It was the main reason he had worked so hard to keep them on the desolate beach. It was true that he had also wanted to avoid responsibility, that he remained in partial denial well after they had been born, but he had come to accept everything else he had done, and his children were no different. In the end, he always took responsibility for everything, even things that were arguably not his fault.

I'm glad you didn't go back, he murmured, focusing on nothing. After all, things had changed. Ryoujoku had not appeared for many months already, but besides, she had grown up. She could fend for herself if she had to, though the innate fear would never go away completely. I never wanted you to grow up there, he whispered, tone gradually deteriorating into sadness, But there was no alternative... I wasn't safe. I'm still not safe. He was reminded, all of a sudden, that he was sick. Why are you here? his voice was cracked and uneven, What if you catch this? Forgetting completely about the water and the dryness in his throat, he turned to her, You gotta go.. he said, You gotta get out of here...

[/html]
[html]
The moment that he spoke her ears fell back, watching him in silence. It was as if she suddenly understood everything that had happened in her life. She had only gone looking for him because she knew she had a father somewhere. She'd already lost her mother, she couldn't lose him also. It was, perhaps, by complete fluke that she ended up spending the majority of her life with him, at least until the point that she had gone back to Inferni. Now she understood though, why he always seemed to want to get rid of her, at least in a way. He was trying to protect her, even if that was only part of the reason he wanted her to go away. She hadn't wanted to be there, she never understood why they all seemed so angry and so easy to hate, and now that she was grown enough to make her own decisions, she didn't want to know.

Then it started. He knew in that moment that he wasn't well and Rachias had to fight back tears even harder. Shaking her head, she set the bowl aside, pushing it away so that it wouldn't spill. "I know you're sick." She said quietly, expecting him to be angry that she had come despite knowing it. "Laurel told me and I asked him to bring me here anyways." It was fear that kept her from leaving. Something in her head that made her believe that if she walked out that door she might never see him alive again. "I can't leave though.." It was a whisper, something desperate and quiet. Then, almost suddenly, her body stretched forward, bringing her head to lay against his chest and her arms up next to her, hands making careful swipes at her eyes each time a tear came.

[/html]
[html]

Laruku had always figured that no one would miss him when he died. Gabriel had told him as much once, that he was useless and better off dead. The scarred, tawny male still believed it. He had done horrible things, unforgivable things. By any god's laws, he had sinned hundreds of times over and continued to do so. If anyone deserved to have Clouded Tears's old curse on his head, surely he did. A violent death was the only thing that was fitting. Or an embarrassing, pathetic one that no one would think twice to mention in the future. He had betrayed everyone that had ever loved him, that he had ever loved. No one would miss him when he was gone.

Her touch was still a surprise, her continued presence, her voice. It was difficult for Laruku to accept that she was willing to put so much on the line just to see him. It had always been hard for him to accept that there were still people that cared about him (none of them knew the truth). He felt guilty for putting her through whatever grief she was going through. Rachias had already lost her mother, her sister, her brothers. She had left the rest of her family. For what? To be with him? He didn't want her be alone. She deserved better than that. She deserved better than him. Was he all she had left? Why was that so unfair?

The lucidness of his thoughts ended when a sharp pain shot up from the base of his neck. He put both arms around his daughter and looked up at the empty white above him. I'm sorry, he said, simultaneously know and not knowing why he was apologizing. Or why he was crying.

[/html]
[html]
In the few moments of silence that fell across them, Rachi wondered just what she would do if he did die. Arkham was gone and she didn't fit in Inferni, she didn't even want to go back there to visit unless she really had to. Her father was the only thing that she had left and now she was suddenly finding that might lose him also. The sandy girl wasn't able to contain the tears that ran from her eyes or the sobs that shook her body. She pulled her arm closer, resting it over the top of her muzzle then. Things changed suddenly though. His arms were around her, holding her, and a rush of life filled her body. She couldn't ever remember a moment like that, not even back when he was sometimes different and seemed to like her more than usual.

The girl stifled her tears enough to open her eyes and peer up at his face as he spoke. She reached up with her other arm, brushing at the fur at the side of his face with the tips of her fingers, and lifted her head just a bit. "Don't be sorry daddy." Her words were a whisper, meant to be comforting and soothing despite the quiet sobs that tried to break through. "I just don't want anything bad to happen to you.." She had to fight away the tears just to get her words out. She was so afraid that he might be dying. "I'm gonna stay around here and make sure you get better. I don't.." A sudden deep breath, which she held in a moment. "I don't want to lose you too." But the tears came, trailing small moisture lines in her face as they eventually disappeared into her fur. "I love you." and she buried her head against him once more.

[/html]
[html]

Laruku had more guilt than anything else. More than he wanted to die, he felt guilty for not trying harder. And yet, this was most likely the first time he had ever really wanted to survive anything. He didn't want Rachias to be alone. He knew he wasn't much, but if he was all she had, then he wanted to live for her. Having failed at everything else, wasn't it the least he could do? The hybrid could not feel the tears on his cheek; perhaps they were evaporating immediately from his burning body. But he could feel the warmth of another body pressed against him, the warmth that he usually pushed away. Hadn't that been the story of his life? He had pushed everyone away. His adoptive family, his real family, distantly related as they were, his fairy tale lover, again and again.

Thank you, he said, swallowing the fireball in his throat and fighting the pain spreading from the back of his skull now. A hundred years of missing gratitude. For everyone. For everything. I love you. He meant it.

[/html]