Blood on my hands
[html]
AW Shattered Coast
wc 380

The dark female sat on the jagged rocks overlooking the ocean. She was in her shifted form, which was unusual for her. But it fit, for she didn't feel like her usual self. Everything felt wrong to her at the moment. The Orion had left the Twilight Vale lands the morning after her encounter with Conri. She didn't want anyone to see what a monster she could become. Most of all she didn't want Naniko to find out what had happened. The Andromeda would've been able to smell him on her. Savina didn't know how she would react. When she had reached this spot she had taken a bath in the sea, washing all of the blood from her body. Even now when she was mostly dry she could still smell the stench of his blood all over her. She still felt unclean.

The slender girl hugged her legs to her chest, chin resting on her knees while her deep green orbs stared out at the endless movement of the ocean. She could feel the salt in her fur as the wind blew across it. Her long cascade of raven hair waving in the breeze. She let one hand slide down from her body and it rubbed softly over the rock she was perched on. Her pads were sensitive to the asperity of the boulder. Just as much as her mind was sensitive to the asperity of her actions the past night. That monster wasn't her. It wasn't the happy, loving person she usually was. It was dangerous, it had no mercy. Or maybe it did. After all, she hadn't killed him. The femme very nearly had, but she hadn't been able to. She couldn't bring herself to take his life. The scary part was, she wasn't sure whether or not she was happy about that or not.

Savina stared out into the vast, shimmering ocean. It was like millions of crystals glinting into her eyes. She continued to feel the rock with one hand and rubbed the fur on her legs with the other. Trying to figure something out. Thinking how she control that part of herself. What she could possibly do to stop it from happening. A small, dark part of her wondered if she even wanted to.

[/html]
[html]

--

Something about her drew him in. Maybe there was just something about a pretty girl in distress that captivated him, although he certainly was no knight in shining armour dedicated to sweeping her off of her feet or solving all of her problems. It just tickled his imagination and sparked his curiosity--what could possibly be so wrong in her life?
The signs were plenty and easily suggested that something was amiss. The distant look, that foetal position, the endless movements of her hands--it reminded him somewhat of Bleach fiddling with the grass, though this lady had a rock and her own fur. Did she know that she could be read so easily? Would she act the same if she knew someone was watching?
He padded closer, trying to get a better look. The rolling waves that perpetually crashed against the earth drowned out the sound of his footsteps, and the ocean breeze favoured him at the moment. He drank in her scent, which was mingled heavily with salt and slightly with blood. To Anselm, this was not horribly surprising--it could just as easily be the blood of a deer or rabbit and there was no reason to assume it was that of another wolf (or even coyote).
Regardless, she was not from Dahlia de Mai (or Iskata's stupid new pack), but Twilight Vale. They were ok in his book--he'd met Naniko before, albeit under a different name. He rounded off to the side somewhat and then approached the shoreline. From a few metres away, he'd enter her peripheral vision. Not shifted at all, he doubted that she'd freak out and take him to be a threat--beyond that, his body language was completely neutral.
For a few more moments he was silent, and he regarded the expanse of ocean before them, before finally turning his head to face her. "You look like you've got a boulder on your shoulders," he commented before turning his blood red eyes back to the sea. He didn't bother to elaborate--the metaphor was clear enough.
[/html]
[html]
Just FYI, I'm out of town until Sunday. Just wanted to let you know my reply after this will be delayed Smile
wc 317

Savina was so lost in herself that she didn't have the slightest inkling that she was not in fact alone. The male probably could've walked right up and prodded her before she'd have known he was there. She somewhat noticed that something had wondered into the periphery of her vision, but she had taken little note of it. It wasn't until his voice broke the air that the two year old really knew he was there. Slender body jumped a little at the unexpected visitor, but she was not afraid. Simply startled. Emerald gaze turned toward this gold and brown stranger. It was a good thing that he looked more wolf than coyote, or she would've been a bit worried. The Italian girl knew about the war with the coyote clan, but she had no idea why there was one. She had no problems with coyotes, but she didn't know if the ones around here would be hostile towards her just because she was a wolf.

Was it that obvious that something was troubling her? When she thought about it she supposed it was. The wolfess was the kind to wear her heart on her sleeve. Wasn't one good at concealing her feelings, or if she could she wasn't able to sustain the illusion. "How'd you guess?" Her Italian accented words came out in a jovial fashion. Definitely not exactly how she was feeling, but they weren't false either. Savina was glad to have the company of a stranger. Someone who didn't have any preconceived notions about her, wasn't holding her to any specific expectations. Just the sort of person she would want to talk to at this moment. She liked the way he had greeted her as well. It was different, but nice. Toned legs moved away from her chest to lay out in front of her. She would look less the helpless child that way.

[/html]
[html]

--

During his teenage years (months?), he'd done quite a bit of that "spraying anger in every which direction" thing. While the numerous fights that resulted had gotten him a lot of invaluable experience when it came to fighting, he'd eventually come to realise that it was largely senseless. Unfortunately, this had nothing to do with Anselm changing--it had to do with the environment. In his birth pack (and the surrounding region), it was not impractical to assume that everyone you encountered was an enemy--most were. If he had to guess, he'd say about 95%, with the remainder made up of blood relatives.
Here, things were quite a bit different. The odds of someone attacking you if you didn't attack first dropped down considerably; he responded accordingly. Less time was spent actually fighting--it was replaced by vigorous training and sparring with his cousin. He had to admit that he liked that hunting here involved the bloodshed of one animal (the prey) and not several more (those that it had to be defended against). Unlike some of the others in Inferni, Anselm had a tendency to judge individuals and individual situations more than a species. Perhaps it was because of his mixed blood, which rendered him less of a target in this culture? Maybe; but he'd take whatever he could get.
And here came a surprise--the black beauty spoke with a lovely accent. Something about foreigners captivated him, if only because he'd heard rumours that they cared less about the whole species difference. Weren't things supposedly more sophisticated overseas? Maybe some other wolves from here would be upset to be deemed barbarians, but given the way his life had gone so far, he found it delightfully accurate. Delightful, of course, only because that meant something better might exist somewhere else. A half-smirk, half-smile tugged at the corners of his mouth in response to the content of her question, and he rolled his shoulders in a shrug. "Sometimes it's easier to recognise in others what we know to exist in ourselves," he replied. Indeed, he had plenty of weight on his back: trying to protect Inferni, the hostage from their war, etc. Besides, he figured it sounded better than "you look like hell."
Unlike her, however, he was far less inclined to spill his woes to a complete stranger (or maybe anybody at all). Vocalising his concerns and doubts, to him, meant that they were manifesting themselves more fully--something he did not want. In the true spirit of the manly man he was, he'd beat his emotions down and lock them away until he could barely feel them at all. That was how it was supposed to work, right? Regardless, he was fine letting this little meeting be all about her. From the corner of his eye he watched as she stretched out some, following the muscles as they moved and generally appreciating the curves of her body. "So what's troubling you?" he wondered aloud.
[/html]
[html]
So, so sorry for such a long delay. I figured with your arm healing up you wouldn't mind too much though.
wc 375

The femme's head nodded as he responded to her question. It certainly was easy to recognize a problem in someone else that you yourself held. She wondered what weights this male carried upon his shoulders. So many things weighed on her right now: her uncontrollable anger, protecting Naniko, the encounter with Conri, what she had found out about Kansas. All these things constantly nagging at her. So what was troubling her? So many answers for such a simple question. Savina reached out one hand in front of her face, examining the pads as she thought of how to answer. Maybe if she explained her rage this stranger might have an answer as how to control it?

"The other night a male that had committed a heinous crime to one of our members came back to our packlands." The ebony girl didn't mention names. Names weren't important, the problem she had was. "I was so full of anger and hatred towards him for what he had done. I lost control of myself. I attacked him, tore at him with my teeth and claws. I almost killed him, but I just couldn't. He deserved it, yet he knew that as well. He didn't fight back, I don't understand why he didn't fight back..." That fact greatly bothered the two year old. When she had thought about facing him before, he was a madman, someone who didn't feel remorse, who would fight against her. But he hadn't. She felt like she was a monster, attacking someone who wouldn't even defend themself. "Its happened to me before, the losing control of myself. Its like...once I get angry I become some sort of monster. That does things that I would never do."

He probably thought that she was crazy. It certainly sounded crazy. Like someone trying to make weak excuses for why they did the things that they have. It was true though. When those things happened, she wasn't herself. The thought that scared her most was that she could turn on those she loved if provoked. What if Naniko made her mad? Would the monster take over and hurt her as well? Savina couldn't allow that. She wouldn't put her friends in harms way. But what could she do?

[/html]
[html]

Yeah, I was pretty worried with the splint, typing one handed was hard. But at least with that off it isn't too bad, I just have to angle the keyboard a certain way and all. :x

Anselm would forever reject the idea of fate or destiny. Even so, his imagination ran rampant--it was so easy to think this some fictitious god's masterpiece. It was just too perfect. Essentially, she couldn't have found a better person to talk to about this problem. Could she see it the same way that he did? Hopefully he'd help her to open her eyes and see the light; hopefully, she'd learn to embrace the logic and instinct that she was clearly denying herself.
"It is our duty and instinct to protect those we care about," he assured her. "Conversely, it goes against our honour to slay the weak or defenceless. A 'monster' would have continued anyway, but you stopped yourself. I don't see how you can consider yourself a monster at all." He certainly didn't think her crazy, either; he knew plenty of folks who were truly mad. They were ruthless and would attack without good reason at all. She was about as justified in her actions as she could be, assuming he wasn't missing some key part of the story.
"Anyway, it won't do to deny yourself like that. Don't tell me that you've done things you'd never do, because you've obviously done them. Trying to beat that down will only drive you mad. Trust your own instincts. As far as I'm concerned, they haven't led you astray so far. There's no reason to think they would in the future." Savina seemed sensible enough, just maybe a bit in denial... maybe a bit naive. These were lessons that were beaten into him practically since day one, and it felt borderline ridiculous to explain them to an intelligent adult. What different worlds they came from.
[/html]
[html]
So are you healing up pretty well then?
wc 360

It greatly comforted the girl to hear him reassure her that what she did was not wrong. He was right, if she truly were a monster, she would've killed Conri. That was a line she never wanted to cross unless she had no other choice. Part of her had wanted to end his life, part of her thought she wanted to. But coming so close to actually doing it, and then having time to step back from the situation and look at it objectively changed her mind. That would make her no better than him, perhaps even worse. The wolfess wouldn't sink to that level, she wouldn't be the one to take a life.

The gold-brown male's bluntness surprised her a bit, yet it was refreshing as well. He wasn't sugar-coating his words to make them easier to swallow. He was just being honest. Honesty was what the dark femme was looking for right now. She had done those things. Whether or not it was her or that part of her that she believed to be separate from her usual self that had done them made little difference. She was capable. Maybe there was no reason to fear that her instincts, or whatever it was, would lead her astray. Yet that one little worry in the back of her mind wouldn't relent. The hand that was held out before her moved to grasp onto the upper part of her other arm. Some small gesture to try and comfort herself.

"I think you're right, or at the very least I hope you are. But I'm afraid that there's a risk of me turning on those I care about. I think 'What if they made me angry? Would I lose control and attack them just as I did him?'. Most of me doesn't think that I would, but there is a small part that isn't so sure." A deep sigh escaped her lungs. "That's what scares me the most." Emerald orbs continued to look out at the sea, though not to avoid the sight of him. She was just trying to find the answers to the questions running rampant in her mind.

[/html]
[html]

Yeah, it's getting there. I imagine it'll be kinda crummy for awhile, but it's definitely much better than it was the first couple of days already, which is plenty for me to work with. >_>

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth--maybe it left everyone blind and bleeding, but it was essentially how he functioned. They lived in a lawless town and if the friends and family of victims didn't seek retribution, everything would descend into chaos. There were few criminals, though, that he thought deserved a death sentence--murderers, repeated rapists, traitors. Certainly, though, plenty of other felonies worthy a good beating. He didn't know who Conri was or what he had done, but he wasn't about to ask. If he had known, he'd find Savina's reaction completely acceptable.
"Eh? You certainly don't seem mentally unstable," he remarked matter-of-factly. Nobody with a modicum of self-control ought to be concerned about things like these, he thought. "It sounds like this guy had it coming to him. If someone you care about gives you that good of a reason to be ticked off, they probably need some sense beaten into them." He shrugged a little. To him, though, fighting was just another part of life. He sparred regularly with one of his closest friends and relatives, after all. His own parents had given quite a bit of "tough love" growing up, until they realised that Anselm would fight back. It didn't mean they hated each other or didn't care--it was more of a "get over yourself" or a "oh, you fucked up BIG this time!" thing.
"Ultimately, you know yourself better than I do. You don't think you'll do it? Then listen to that part of you. Repeat it over and over again until it sticks. If you're really that worried about it, just tell yourself to walk away from situations like those. If you can't, you'll know you're justified in fighting. If you can, you'll be able to reflect on it and maybe figure out an alternative route." All he figured was that she really shouldn't be afraid of herself in a world like this one--he couldn't imagine that sort of thinking. There were plenty of better things to worry about--bears, cougars, other wolves. Never himself. At least he had that, he decided.
[/html]
[html]
Yay! Glad to hear you're doing better Smile P.S. I'm really liking Anslem, I think he's just what the doctor ordered for Savvy! Big Grin

The more she talked with this wolf the gladder she became that he had come across her. It was just the kind of logical point of view she needed to put her fears and doubts to rest. That was a problem for the femme at times, she let her emotions and her more irrational thoughts get the best of her. A statement like that was true for many, but it fit. When Savina really thought about it she couldn't think of anything her friends and loved ones would do to make her that angry; unless it was something like Conri had done. And even if they did, he was right. She would just tell herself that she wouldn't do that, and walk away if it became too dangerous. It was all really quite simple, but her frenzied thoughts hadn't been able to come to that logical conclusion. "I thank you. You've given me some really great advice and insights. Better than I could have hoped for. I will take your words to heart, truly."

A lightness returned to the dark pelted wolfess, and a small smile returned to her face. There were still some worries weighing on her but the bulk of it had been relieved. Her lithe torso turned to face the helpful stranger. Emerald orbs taking in his form. "My name is Savina. Savina Marino. May I have the pleasure of yours? If it is not too much to ask." The Orion was a friendly soul, not minding giving out her name to acquaintances. However she understood that some preferred their anonymity. The girl hoped that he would feel comfortable enough to trust her with his. Perhaps then one day she could return the favor that he had done for her.

[/html]
[html]

Well, Savina's so sweet, he couldn't possibly be mean to her. XD. -Ruffles his hair.- He really isn't that bad of a guy. XD

Emotions, so far as he was concerned, served only to complicate life. Usually he was pretty good about beating his own into submission, although arguably he was a little too good at it. Maybe a man that never trusts can never be betrayed, but he can never really feel the warmth or true beauty of love or even friendship, either. Furthermore, when confronted with the emotions of others, he often found himself confused. He certainly lacked empathy; no doubt it was a consequence of his rather emotionally desolate childhood. He was never encouraged to feel, only to fight and to calculate--by both his parents and his environment. Even so, he slipped up once in awhile, and he hated himself for it. He viewed it as weakness--and there he was being irrational, for any truly sentient being was doomed to question life and their own feelings. It was natural, but that didn't mean he had to like it.
He did like this encounter, though. She'd earned some respect in his book--despite her worries, she hadn't rejected his logic. It was almost frightful how emotions could do that to a creature; they could lead perfectly intelligent beings to disregard things that were slapping them in the face. It also felt strangely nice to help somebody else to feel better even without getting anything in return. "I'm glad you're feeling better," he remarked, his tone a degree warmer than usual and strangely genuine. All the while, he found himself inwardly laughing at the prospect of someone taking his advice so seriously. He decided he ought to come with a warning label; this thought brought a grin to his face, although he allowed it to fade away before it looked unnatural.
Her title was foreign and had a lovely ring to it; it was smooth and rolled off the tongue nicely, plus it just sounded pretty. He decided that it suited her quite well. "I'm Anselm," he offered in return.
[/html]
[html]
Well then, shall we wrap this up after your next post? Don't think there's much else to say XD If you ever want to plot something lemme know! This was fun Big Grin
wc 346

A strong breeze swept across the coast, ruffling her fur and her long mane of raven hair flowed out behind her. The Italian wolf believed that the ocean was a place of rebirth. It had "birthed" her here, to this new world and her new life. The sea had brought her brother back to her. And now here, once again, when she felt as if she were on the brink, this helpful stranger came to bring her back to stable ground. Many of those examples were rather metaphorical, but it was true for her. She breathed the salty ocean air deep into her lungs, savoring the smell and taste of it. The female never wanted to be too far from the sea. It was of great comfort to her. At that moment she also decided that whenever her time here on this earth was done, she wanted to be laid to rest by the ocean. A morbid thought perhaps, but she didn't think of it that way.

A larger smile cracked across her slender muzzle as he stated he was glad she was feeling better. The gold and black male may have been a bit emotionally distant, but some were just like that. He had helped her. He didn't have to stop and talk to her, to sit here and listen to her worries and give her his advice. Yet he had. And for that she considered him a friend.

Anslem. It was an interesting name, unique. "Its a pleasure. I'm very happy that our paths crossed ways." Her emerald eyes were sparkling like jewels in the light, now that much of the somberness was absent from them. "I live in Twilight Vale. Come seek me out if you ever wish to. I hope that we will meet again sometime." Because for now, it was time for her to journey home. The girl still had some things to sort out and duties to see to. Surely Anslem did as well. Such was the life for pack wolves such as themselves. It was a good life though.

[/html]
[html]

Likewise! Big Grin Good thread.

He nodded as she bade her farewell--he thought this was a decent time to end things, too. Parting on a good note was always desirable, and although he wasn't sure what might go wrong he had a feeling something might get fucked up if he chose to linger for any great amount of time. Her offer was sort of touching, but he wasn't sure if he'd take her up on it. It would be awkward if Anselm ran into Savina and "Joule" ran into Naniko all at once--now that he'd taken root here so strongly, he wasn't sure that lying about his name to Twilight Vale's alpha was such a good idea or not. He'd cross that bridge when he came to it, though, which was hopefully never. Obviously, he couldn't extend a similar invite to her, either--if anybody from Inferni found her, he didn't even want to think about what he'd have to do to punish them if they laid a hand on her. Still, he hoped to see her around elsewhere where it was less risky.
"I frequent the old human city a lot. If you do, too, maybe I'll see you there," he offered. He didn't want to mislead her by promising to come and visit, but he was sure to leave her with some idea of where he could be found, as well. Hopefully she'd understand. Without waiting around to find out, he cast a quick smile her way before rising to his feet. Turning about along the ledge, he began to move away at a comfortable pace in the direction of Inferni. As he moved there was a bit of a spring in his step, which was certainly unusual. It was time to go home, he thought, perhaps to reflect on things and at least to check in on the clan. This whole little adventure had turned into a very nice escape from the war (much like his visit to Esper Hollow), but business and duty were always knocking on the door.
[/html]