hidden behind a harmless flower
[html]

The recent change in the leadership of this strange pack did not affect the gypsy hybrid much at all. Certainly, the only way it could possibly affect her is because the leader who had accepted her was no longer in a position of much power, and truly, that was hardly enough to affect the blonde girl. Her life would continue as it normally did, and after her talk with her sister so long ago, she wanted nothing more than to become a part of this pack, to feel as if she belonged.

Sitting atop Valeria, she fingered the roots of the plants she held in her hands. There were six of them in all, varied colors, and Foxglove considered them a lucky find. There were more where she had picked these, but for now, she had only taken a handful of them, painstakingly removing all the roots from the dirt so that she could replant them in the garden of her strange home. She urged the mare forward in the direction of the garden, eager to replant her namesake.

Finally, after having dismounted and gotten her hands dirty, the blonde girl wiped away some stray dirt from her skirt. She remained where she knelt, studying the tall stems of flowers on the edge of the garden with satisfaction.

<style type="text/css">
.foxgltrans02 b {font-weight:bold; color:#000000; letter-spacing:1px; }
.foxgltrans02 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.foxgltrans02 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.foxgltrans02 {margin:0px auto; width:450px; background-color:none; background-image:url(http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/168/foxgltrans.png); background-position:bottom right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 15px 0px 15px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(302)

Draugr is by Haley!

The garden was a familiar place for the woody-hued Associate. Draugr did not spend an excess of time around these plants, but she had learned the very basics from Odessa, and her job indicated she ought to take stock of these plants now and again -- along with the storage. Having just come from the storage, Draugr was in a rather good mood -- there were many supplies from the Boreas wolves, and Salsola's coffers brimmed with trade goods. Draugr was not old enough to have gone on the last Freetown trip, but she had heard stories and vaguely remembered. Perhaps there would be another one soon.

As she was only traveling a short distance, Dyrne was left to wander around the house, attached by a long lead rope to Dra's home itself. The dark-furred wolfdog was contemplating building a fence; it would be nice to have a little corral where Dyrne might roam freely. One of the slaves might be able to accomplish this -- surely, if Gjalda had constructed the stable, a fence would be no issue whatsoever. Dra was still contemplating this as she meandered toward the garden, already the sweet stink of many plants pervasive in the air. It was spring, and this was their time.

She was therefore not surprised to see the garden in full bloom -- another sight did surprise her, however. The pale blonde fur of Foxglove was unmistakable, nestled amongst the green of the plants and colors of the flowers. Draugr hesitated, hovering near the edge of the garden, before stepping forward. Hey, she said, rather casually -- she and Foxglove were of the same rank. What are you planting? The inquiry, too, was casual, but curious, too: Dra studied the new additions and the stirred dirt around them with pale purple eyes, wondering.

<style>
@import url('http://sleepyglow.net/rp/post.css');
</style>[/html]
[html]

Large ears twitched in response to the sound of an approaching canine, but the gypsy hybrid did not turn until she was spoken to, patting the soil around the base of the plants before she focused on Draugr. She'd had little interaction with those in the pack up until recently, but she knew Draugr from having been scouting with her during the recent conflict. She smiled tentatively, unsure of her standing with her pack mates. Still, the darker hybrid did not seem bothered by her presence in the garden.

"Foxgloves," she said, smiling to herself when she realized how that would look. "I was going to look for magnolias next, and maybe poppies." She did not know how well-known her relation to Maggie was, and surely no one here knew of their last sister, but maybe Draugr would put it together from that. If not, hopefully she would not think that the blonde Associate was strange for planting flowers of her own namesake in the pack's garden.

"How are you?" she asked, not wanting an awkward quiet to descend. The Monroe girl was hesitant to open conversation, if only because she feared that the dark and secretive pack would finally come to know how out of place she was here.

<style type="text/css">
.foxgltrans02 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.foxgltrans02 {margin:0px auto; width:450px; background-color:none; background-image:url(http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/168/foxgltrans.png); background-position:bottom right; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 15px 0px 15px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(--)

Draugr is by Requiem!

The dark-furred hybrid knew of many plants, but she had not know that a foxglove was a plant. Her muzzle wrinkled and she could not help but smile, a genuine grin that welled up from somewhere and took root on her face before she could stop it. I didn't know there was a plant named for you, she started, and then lifted her hand to her muzzle, covering the smile and ushering it away after a moment. She knew, of course, that it was the other way around, in all likelihood. Unless "foxglove" was just a nickname Foxglove, or perhaps her parents, had called this plant. Dra knew no other name for it, but she hadn't known it had a name at all until a moment ago.

I'm okay. Maybe restless, she admitted, shrugging a woody-colored shoulder indifferently. I'm supposed to be the one taking stock of the gardens and storage and the rest, so I thought maybe I'd put my restlessness to use. And you? Draugr typically wasn't one to inquire on well-being, but it was only polite, as she'd been asked herself. And, in this case, it was more interesting than usual. The pale blonde woman seemed to be on the outskirts of Salsola, much as Dra herself felt at times. Her own feeling of displacement was fading fast, however; she was more sure of herself now than she'd been upon first departing from her mother's side.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

For a moment, the Associate thought the other was silently laughing at her, but after a brief passing, she smiled in response. It was kind of strange, and perhaps might come off as a bit conceited, for her to be replanting flowers in her own name in the pack's garden. "My sisters and I were named after flowers," she explained. "Poppy, Magnolia, Foxglove. I'm not sure why, though... I don't think my mother knew much about flowers." She had never bothered to ask Lolita, and perhaps she would never get that chance again. Certainly she would not be going off to actively seek out her mother, and she doubted she would ever come here.

"I'm.. fine, she said, with the briefest bit of hesitation. It was one thing to admit to her sister that she felt severely out of place here, but it was another thing entirely to speak such words to anyone else. Foxglove feared that the higher ranked canines of the pack would find her discomfort alarming and might be unwilling to allow her to stay, for certainly her wariness would be suspect. "I don't really have much to do here. I'm not really good at much."

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(328) Sorry, I had to ban myself from posting as Dra for a few days O_O so imbalanced aagegkekgijg

Draugr is by Haley!

The blonde woman explained the names and Draugr was disappointed -- though not surprised -- to find her humor misunderstood or simply disregarded. Humor was not one of her strengths, and the woody-hued wolfdog found it a difficult one to hone here. Her mother was not one for jokes and pranks, and she thought many others within Salsola were of a similar mindset. They were a tool of distraction, though, and Dra thought she understood their worth. She would have to get better.

She shrugged and smiled again, a smaller one than before. Some names are just pretty. Names were important, but even pretty names had power. Foxglove and her sisters were all named for flowers; it must mean something or bestow something upon them, she thought. Draugr idly bent down to pluck a tiny green weed from amongst some lavender, but she hesitated as Foxglove again spoke, pale eyes looking over at her curiously. As the woman finished, the wolfdog hunkered into a more comfortable stance and twirled the little green leaf between her fingers, looking down at it as she spoke.

You have to get better, she instructed. We all do -- that's why we're alive. Draugr's tone indicated confidence in these ideas, though her body language suggested otherwise: downcast eyes, twiddling fingers, even ears just slightly bent back against her head. I didn't know what to do at first, either. When mama Siv set me out on my own, I mean. But I've gotten better. I learned how to ride a horse and drive a cart. You can learn things, too. Now, she looked up at Foxglove and smiled, twitching her tail back and forth a few times in reassurance. They were Family of Salsola and of the same rank, yet Foxglove had shared an insecurity with Dra, who interpreted this as an indicator of trust. Insecurities were secrets to be buried deep down -- one didn't just share them with anyone.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

rofl it's okay <3

A soft murmur of agreement was all the response Foxglove had for the topic of names, for she had no way of asking her mother and she had not much questioned her name before. It was just a name, and one she had come to like very much for herself. She had agonized over the name of her horse, and her kitten still remained without a name, but her own name was not something she had thought much of. It was just... her name.

Though her visible response was minimal, the blonde Associate's mind was racing. What Draugr said made sense, but it was a matter of finding something to learn that could be of use to the pack. Certainly, anything would be more useful than what she was doing now, which was not much at all as of yet. But what could she do? She had roamed and she had wandered, she had scouted and she had fought (though just barely). These were things she had experience with, things that had proven useful before, but now she simply did not know.

And then, the answer was simple. It was so obvious; how had she not thought of it already? Jade eyes scanned the various plants in the garden, taking in the different colors and scents. "Do you think someone here could teach me about flowers? And other plants?" she asked, quickly amending her statement to include all flora.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(--) 8D

Draugr is by me!

It seemed Foxglove was taking a moment to consider her options. Draugr thought she knew this feeling. When mama Siv had set her loose on the world, Dra interpreted this to mean she would not (could not) walk her mother's path of healer and witch-woman. It was left to her to figure something else out, and Dra had not yet done that when mama Siv took her back into the house. Horses and driving the cart had been fun enough, and Draugr loved her own chestnut mare, now that she owned one -- but they were not a calling.

Perhaps Foxglove had just had such a moment, for she inquired on the flowers and plants of the garden. Dra's reaction was instantaneous: a grin appeared on her dark muzzle, and she nodded vigorously. Odessa, she said. Odessa's taught me a little bit, and I can help you with what I know, but she's way better than me. She wrote a book -- can you read? Draugr could not, and so had been deprived the knowledge contained within the pages of Odessa's book, but she'd absorbed bits and pieces from the gardener all the same.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

Big Grin

The enthusiasm from the dark hybrid was contagious, a smile spreading over the blonde's tapered muzzle quickly. She had met Odessa before, though only in passing a few times, most recently when they had both answered a call from the coyote clan's scout during the raids. She had been nice, just as Draugr was, and Foxglove did not feel nervous at the idea of seeking her out. It would be a trial, certainly, as it was for her to do anything socially by intention, but it would be easier than seeking out, for example, Eris or Sirius.

Of course, the gypsy's smile was short-lived as she realized she would be limited in her ability to learn, as well. Her mother had never known how to read or write, and as a result, her own knowledge of the matter was minimal. "I can't read, either," she said, the words simple. She did not feel embarrassed or bothered by this, but she did wish she would be able to read Odessa's book. "Do you think she'd show me anyway?" Foxglove did not know her mottled pack mate as well as (she assumed, of course) Draugr did.

<style type="text/css">
</style>
[/html]
[html]

(--) I think I lost this post. >:|

Draugr is by Despi!

The wolfdog nodded, but her pale purple eyes glanced about as if to ascertain their solitude. I cannot, either, she confessed. But I'm trying to learn. It is a difficult thing, she said, frowning. Letters are one thing -- somewhat easier, but Odessa's book is handwritten. Her handwriting is neat, but so different from the words in human books. It was almost like performing a different skill entirely, reading handwriting and books. Dra had never even attempted to write anything, herself, though she might someday. Curiosity was a powerful motivation, even if she knew she might fail miserably.

But I am sure she would show you, Draugr said, considering. And there are others within the pack who work with plants, I'm sure. The garden has many visitors. Though not all might be proficient as Odessa, others had specialized skills, to be sure, and their specialization's depth of knowledge exceeded Odessa's. Still, Dra could recommend no one better for a basic introduction to plant life. I can introduce you to a few different plants? I am still learning, but there are some I know well, Dra offered. The Bayberry and Indian Tobacco plants were just two such plants -- although Draugr had never made candles or oil of the latter, she knew the processes by their description alone. The former, the Tobacco, she knew from experiences with it. It was so prolific, no one noticed a few missing flowers from the garden -- and if mild thievery was not to one's taste, it grew wild anyway.

<style>
</style>[/html]