What is this?
[html]

There's what, six years difference between them? I love having old characters =P Oh! And the length of this post is to establish some stuff that's going on for him right now, I figure we can average our posts at more like two paragraphs, at least that seems more reasonable since we'll be blowing through it moderately fast.

He turned the blade over and over in his hands. There was something familiar about it, but what it was he couldn't make out. He had seen that particular curve to the handle before, the thick blade shining like all the weapons the humans made. The bladed end was nine inches long, while the weathered wooden handle added another five to the implement's length. He couldn't determine what it was that was so leery about this blade, why it had caught his interest as more than just an ordinary killing tool when he'd found it lying in the grass.

He looked into the blue, serene water of the lake that he'd found only an hour before. He had been doing more exploring since his battle with SteelRose, when he'd taken those debilitating wounds. Luckily, they had healed quickly, helped along by the ministrations of his packmate and leader, Pilot. Still, even though he had done more of that, he hadn't been fortunate enough to find this beautiful lake before. A shame, he would have liked to show it to Asphyxia, provided she didn't already know about it...which seemed likely, considering how closely she lived to it.

His brows furrowed, his shoulders hunched, he sat cross-legged on the ground, his human pack and shield resting on the ground beside him, still attached to the deerskin kilt wrapped around his waist and upper-legs. He would need time to prise the secrets from this thing. Who had that wolf been, and what had he been thinking, kidnapping Asphyxia? Even if Skoll hadn't been there to deal him a swift death for his transgression, he would have had Inferni on him soon enough.

The only thing that made sense was that he had spied them together, and had taken her to lure Skoll to that church, but why? The body had been removed when he returned the next day, so his enemy had not been alone, making the situation all the more dire. Who were these enemies, and what did they want with him, if it was indeed him they were after? Right now, he was just glad that they were wolves. This way, at least, there was small threat of word getting back to Inferni of the dalliance between himself and his coyote lover.

~The lyrics are from the best song ever written.
[/html]
[html]

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173 ... header.jpg); background-attach:top center; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-color:#162022;">

sharksThe more time he spent in the area, the more his plans seemed to erode away. At some point along the way, before he had made it all the way over the mountain, he had had a clear idea of what he had planned to do, who he had planned to speak to, how everything was supposed to unravel. But the reality of things did not fit anything he had expected and subsequently, everything fell apart. He had been naive to have not thought about war. From the information he'd gathered so far, it almost seemed like they were trying to test his resolve. How long would he put off going back to Inferni? His niece had been kidnapped. He had a fresh litter of nieces and nephews that might also be in danger. His family was all out for blood, and their blood was on the want list as well. Could he really stand by idly even if he didn't really believe in the origins of the conflict? At the end of the day, beyond all the disillusionment and disappointments, they were still his family.

sharksThe cloaked, young coyote was wandering rather aimlessly today, trying to clear his mind. He was tired of thinking about Inferni and Dahlia de Mai, of thinking about two had been the two coyotes that had been killed in the most recent scuffle, of thinking about the idea that Talitha was probably being tortured. Ignoring it didn't make it go away, but this was more stress than he was used to. The real world was much crueler than he could have thought. Instead, he tried to think about his sister, wherever she was, and his father, if he was even still alive. No one had said a word about them, so he could only assume that Clouded Tears had dissolved with the rest of the packs. Oh, even the other half of his family was depressing to think about.

sharksHe migrated towards the lake, worn from a day's worth of doing nothing. The area he approached seemed to already be occupied, but though the usually lonely boy wasn't sure he wanted company, he was too tired to change course. Oh, hello, he greeted simply, sitting down a short distance from the much older male. Arkham stiffened a little when he saw the long knife and eyed the stranger wearily through the opening of his cloth mask. He really didn't want to deal with trouble today.

[/html]
[html]

Skoll had perceived the offensive scent a few moments before the cloaked individual appeared. As the strange man grew closer, Skoll's eyes narrowed. Was this the man who had moved the body, the accomplice of his enemy? It was possible, but by the reaction elicited by the blade he studied, it seemed unlikely. Further, the wolf who had done this would not need to concern himself with hiding his face, given that it seemed unlikely he was from around here, and no one would know who he was, anyway.

"Greetings," he replied, putting the knife away. Even with it gone, the axe-handle was still in clear view, meant for easy access rather than concealment. Whoever this person was, his smell was unpleasantly sharp to Skoll's nose...he bore some sort of chemical with him that overpowered other scents with mint, a decidedly unhappy experience, though more so perhaps for the other male who was around it always.

"I'd introduce myself and ask the same of you, but you seem to have taken pains to avoid identification." A strange gesture of someone, and a clear indication of having something to hide. Not that Skoll minded that overmuch, given that he had secrets of his own, mainly his relationship with Asphyxia. He didn't smell of her right now, given that he would wash after every encounter to protect the truth from her bloodthirsty packmates, but he feared the day someone would discover them.

[/html]
[html]

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r173 ... header.jpg); background-attach:top center; background-repeat: no-repeat; background-color:#162022;">

sharksHe had gotten used to the mint some weeks ago and did not much notice it anymore. Indeed, it had become a background scent, replacing his natural scent as something that he didn't really pick up anymore unless it was gone. Everyone else's apparent aversion towards him was amusing to some extent, though he recognized it only further segregate him from people. Of course, that was what he wanted for the moment, but it still went against the loneliness that had plagued him since he was young. Or maybe it was just something he would live by now: isolation in a sometimes crowded world.

sharksThe other was clearly a warrior of one sort or another, heavily armed and rather brutish looking, but his actions thus far did not make him appear particularly hostile, so Arkham relaxed marginally. It would be something his brother might taunt him for, but the young coyote knew he could run fast if it came to it. His own physical strength was not anything to brag about yet. Well, he smiled tiredly, It could just be that I'm hiding some hideous deformity and that I like the scent of mint, maybe he had fur and skin dripping in a melted mess on the back of his head and the mind was to help the rotting smell, But in any case, you can call me Kharma.

[/html]
[html]

Skoll smiled. It was possible he was telling the truth, but it sounded more like humor to his ear. Reaching a clawed hand up to the upraised skin on the right side of his face, where SteelRose's blades had cut into him, he cast a hard-to-read look into the blue water.

"I've probably got enough of these lines criss-crossing me to qualify as a deformity anymore," he smiled wryly. "But to each his own. Scars can be good to have if you want to intimidate people out of an altercation, after all, so I don't have much to complain about." He looked back to the younger--he sounded younger--canine behind the cloak and the scarf, face masked by human cloth, eyes the only interface to the person he spoke to.

"Oh, I'm Skoll." It was an inconsequential admission, he didn't think he'd ever met this person before, and given how often he stayed within his own pack land and kept to himself, it seemed unlikely he'd ever meet with him again. Still, he was a decidedly odd individual. He would like to hear the story behind the concealment, even if it was a hideous deformity...hell, especially if it was a hideous deformity.

[/html]
[html]

sharksIf the man had asked for a story, the young coyote would have certainly obliged to give him one. It would have, of course, been full of nothing but lies, but it would be a grand tale all the same, of perils and tragedy and heroic efforts of one sort or another. Those were the sorts of things he had thought about sometimes while staring at the ocean. At the mention of scars, he thought of his father. Curiosity at where and how each injury had been obtained was natural, but he somehow doubted that he'd ever hear the details of any of them, if the man was still alive at all. Arkham wasn't sure whether or not he could miss someone he'd never really known, even with all the information he'd gleaned from his brother. Red eyes studied the stranger sitting by him now -- more scars or less? About the same, he supposed, with just as many stories he'd never know because he wouldn't ask.

sharksHe twitched an ear at the given name though and cocked his head slightly. Skoll? he repeated curiously. He was glad no other emotion really leaked through his voice. In truth, the things he'd been told about Skoll had been long ago enough that he didn't remember much of it anymore. He'd only been a few months old. The affairs of the outside world hadn't mattered much then. I'd heard you'd been at odds with Inferni, the coyote said, hoping that it wouldn't have the other question his origins or alliances too much. But I'm sure there's another side to that story. Just as there always was. It was just that he hadn't really been interested in it until now.

[/html]
[html]

Skoll wasn't the smartest wolf in the land. Though he wasn't dim, he tended to rely more on intuition than raw processing power when it came to devising solutions, experience over intellect. While this was a detrimental thing in his earlier years, at his current age, it didn't work against him as much as it might have. The fact that this cloaked figure had heard of his relation to Inferni implied that he was from around here. The fact that he alluded to Skoll possessing another side to the story led him to believe that he had some connection with either Inferni or Jaded Shadows, though it that connection could be as close as belonging to one of those packs, or as distant as being a family member of one of the involved parties, which could place this character most anywhere in the land, provided he was a member of Fatin's extended family.

"That there is." He said, somberly. "And I'd be happy to tell it. They are likely tell you is that I hurt two of Inferni's adolescents. That would be true. One of them was hurt badly, the other walked away with some bruises, nothing more." He paused, his eyes on the stranger. If he hadn't heard the stories in detail, that bit would likely elicit some sort of adverse reaction, if only momentary. If he wasn't, then it was less likely to do so, though having them verified wouldn't make anyone sitting on the fence happy.

"What they are unlikely to tell you is that I didn't start that fight. I interfered when an older brother of theirs tried to kill a girl named Naniko. The kids came out after I'd fought Molochai off of the wolf girl, eager to fight, heedless of their size, just like they'd been taught, I have to assume. Gabriel came afterward, but wouldn't call his siblings away. I hurt them, yes, but most of it happened after I told them several times to leave the fight to the adults, and they nor their elder siblings complied with my warning. When it became clear they wouldn't give me a choice, I stopped holding back, since following rules that my opponents wouldn't respect would have been fatal." The truth which Kaena's spawn nor her allies would tell to anyone else, and the one which Gibraltar had chosen to turn a blind eye to when the time came.

"When I nearly killed the little coyote girl and had dealt significant damage to the two adult males, I took a severe injury of my own," he indicated the scar where Gabriel's jaws had taken hold of the meat of his belly. "Waking me to the severity of my situation, I gained the presence of mind to cast away the enemy who'd bitten me and flee, and escaped Inferni. Gabriel chased me a few hundred feet past the border, before turning back, leaving me to stagger back to my own packland at the time, Storm."

[/html]
[html]

sharksIf he looked for them, Arkham could possibly connect himself in one way or another to a vast majority of the population in the area. His mother had had at least four litters; the fathers of those litters likely had other litters. His siblings had relationships; his father did, undoubtedly, but even with the general knowledge, it would be difficult for him to comprehend just how extensive his family was, especially if those that weren't direct blood relatives and those that were adopted in were considered. Given all those connections though, it was cruelly ironic that there always seemed to be conflict, even now.

sharksMolochai was Gabriel's littermate, he knew, but he didn't remember ever having met the man; this only confirmed that the event Skoll described had taken place a long time ago already, at least as far as he was concerned. He imagined this Naniko girl -- or really, she had to be a woman by now -- had strayed too close to the borders, though "too close" might have been defined differently by Molochai. The pups that had attacked had to have been Samael and Ahemait. It was almost unfortunate that Arkham found that he could understand both sides of the fight too clearly. His family was high strung and eager to defend to the point that it didn't really seem like defense anymore. Gabriel had told him once that wolves had killed his brother while he watched. If true, the coyote could understand why those sorts of sentiments never really went away.

sharksAt the very least, he could understand now why his eldest brother had warned him away from Storm that day. It had been a confusing time as he had made a friend out of Phasma, however briefly, but he had never seen her again, so it hadn't mattered in the end. Well, that's not hard to believe, he gave a small laugh. I suppose they're convinced the world is against them, so they have to take down the world before the opposite can happen. He doubted Gabriel would ever believe in peace. No one died though, he mused, Could you say it turned out okay, then?

[/html]
[html]

Sorry, this is somewhat shorter, he didn't have as much to say/think about.

"I suppose," he said after rolling the question around for a few moments. "They managed to convince a few wolves that I was the antagonist, and so I suffered some defamation after the event. It bothers me that wolves are so easily turned in favor of those they fear, but I do consider it a small victory that they decided against pursuing physical vengeance against me. Suggests some weakness, or at least caution, rather than sheer insane aggression." The whole turn of events was still bitter to him, but having this strange veiled figure seem to understand was a pleasant surprise.

"So, you've been here before, I have to assume. An interesting place to spend one's time, I have to admit. I did arrive in this land until I was almost four, but I definitely haven't found another like it before or since." Perhaps some common ground to be had. They had both spent at least some time living in this land, judging by the limited contextual knowledge the other seemed to possess. If this young man had traveled beyond the Souls' borders, maybe he would have met some people Skoll knew, or had at least seen some of the same things in traveling.

[/html]
[html]

Nothin' wrong with short. Tongue

sharksArkham would be curious to know just how connected their world was. Did the words of a few affect the opinions of many? How quickly did information spread? Were rumors as lethal as they sounded? Or did such things waft around slowly and take weeks before spreading around completely? His impression was that people did not maintain many connections with others outside of their packs, but that was based largely on his own experience. After all, he didn't realize the extent of families stretching across several packs and clans, especially after the fire when all of the wolf packs were forced to regroup completely, often banding with some family and friends while other relatives went elsewhere. The "new world" as it were, was potentially much more connected than the old one, so it was probably lucky for Skoll that this scuffle had taken place some time ago.

sharksHere? I just got to this side of the mountain a week or two ago, he explained, I went a different direction initially during the fire. For the while, the coyote decided against admitting that he'd been born in the old lands, But yes, I'd lived there. Arkham had not traveled far to the north after the fire as he had always known that he would go back. At some point, crossing the ocean had occurred to him, but he had decided against it in the end. The simplest explanation was just that the idea of spending any length of time surrounded completely by water did not appeal to him. You must have traveled a lot though, if you only arrived there when you were four. Are coyote-wolf relations as horrible elsewhere as they are here?

[/html]
[html]

Still can't figure out the bold on the wiki ->stupid<- Working on that chart, though.

Skoll nodded silently at the cloaked wolf's admission, though the admission wasn't of great import. Still, it was interesting that a past member of the Souls' lands felt the need to travel under cloak and scarf, hiding his identity from those he might meet. Apparently someone with more than one or two connections, then, or so he would assume. He didn't know enough people around the lands to try and make a guess about who this might be, though the simple fact that he'd fled north from a fire that had started in the north made a member of Inferni exceedingly unlikely. The most plausible origin of this person was Jaded Shadows, but again, it was impossible to tell.

"No, not usually" he said at the younger male's question. "Most species stick to their own. A coyote is likely to be mistreated if he wanders onto wolf territory, or a wolf is likely to be chased off if he walks onto grounds claimed by a group of dogs. When meeting on unclaimed territory, it comes down to the individual. Generally, coyotes don't group together like they have in Inferni, thus there isn't as much opportunity for friction." He looked back into the water, shaking his head. "The situation here has little to do with race, though, and more to do with bad leaders and past grievances. My viewpoint may be one-sided, but from what I've seen, every racial quarrel began with Inferni lashing out without provocation, and then wolf leaders too inept or afraid to react to the threat presented."

He looked to the smaller figure and flicked his good ear. "I've known plenty of coyotes I got along with, many of which moved on from this place. I think Souls would be a lot better for them if Inferni would be more careful about who it put in charge." He didn't know how that might offend the person in front of him, but anonymity meant that social tact became that much harder. The facts as he saw them flowed that way, and he spoke his mind.

[/html]
[html]

Bolding is just three single quotes on either side of a word. xD

sharksIt was likely that Arkham's disguise was largely unneeded; he had not been a particularly adventurous child and had not met many people outside of Inferni. Thus, that anyone would recognize his face was a slim chance at best, but he did not know how frequently other members of the clan ventured outside their territories and had thought it better to keep his scent trails hidden, at the very least. In the end, it would probably be a good thing, considering how often Anselm de le Poer seemed to scout the lands.

sharksThe coyote flicked an ear and considered Skoll's words. Thanks to his childhood apathy, he wasn't very easily offended, and even if he hadn't fallen away from his brother, it was unlikely that he would have really reacted to the accusation of poor leadership. As it were, the boy didn't really think Gabriel was a poor leader so much as he was overprotective and paranoid. And crazy, maybe, but he refused to come to any conclusions there until he knew more. Well, he said, I don't think it's so much an issue of 'putting people in charge' as it is family inheritance at this point. Most of them are related. Gabriel had been the eldest son; it had only been proper. Though he was very much against the idea, he imagined that if Gabriel died or otherwise disappeared now, then Samael, as the next eldest Lykoi male, would take the reins.

sharksPast grievances seem to be a pretty valid reason anyway, I think, even if it seems a little foolish from the sidelines. He shrugged, People don't forgive easily, and they don't expect others to.

[/html]
[html]

Sorry for the delay, the evening slipped away from me (hour and a half walk plus two and a half hour movie for the lose x.x ). I went to go fix my character wiki, but when I got there, someone had already made it all pretty 0.0 Totally appreciative, but I don't know who did it!

"True," he conceded the younger's point. "Nonetheless, if past grievances are to be given weight, then the original perpetrator holds a great deal of responsibility. In a culture which holds such things to be important, rigid internal control is necessary, so that every group punishes its own members to avoid going to war with outside forces. Inferni doesn't seem to do this, which makes war an exceedingly likely occurrence." That was the truth of it. Gibraltar's exile of Skoll, or the treatment of the wolf Lucifer could both be seen in this light: as the in group punishing its own members to avoid due punishment from the offended outside force, seeking to enforce justice on their own so that other, less sympathetic groups wouldn't have to. Gibraltar's action against Skoll had been purely in the interest of his own regime, but he knew that politically it had been seen differently.

"Not all wolves are good about this, either, the problem isn't based in race, but Inferni seems to have a talent for condoning the reckless misdeeds of a few of its own members, and then seeing new, fresh, unsolicited crimes against itself when the inevitable retribution is executed. Unfortunately, or I suppose fortunately, depending on your view, the wolves here aren't moved to war all that easily, and so Inferni gets away with many things that would have destroyed a group of coyotes in other parts of the world." Indeed, coyotes simply weren't individually large enough to stand against wolves, not without vast numerical advantages, of the order of two or three times. Inferni's reputation, as well as its healthy population of hybrids, made them more formidable than one would expect for a group claiming to be coyotes. Nevertheless, the attitude of the Souls wolves was poorly conducive to defending itself, and Skoll remained convinced that this was the primary reason that Inferni still existed, the reputation of family empires within the clan not withstanding.

"This is, of course, just the opinion of an old man. My way of thinking isn't well understood here, and the way of thinking here isn't well understood by me. I am friends with many who think differently from me." A softer message of tolerance. He felt strongly about this issue, but too many people were soft about it for his righteousness to accomplish anything. He had saved a girl from being killed by Inferni, he would have to be happy enough with that. It was odd to think, but he'd actually saved more Inferni members from loners and accidents than he had saved pack members from Inferni. Peculiar, given the incident rate around here.

[/html]
[html]

If you look at the history section, you can see who edited it. ;3 Couldn't really think of anything else. End this soon?

sharksHe imagined that the lack of punishment, as it were, was also due largely to the fact that most of Inferni was related. Regardless of anything else, Arkham was sure, sure, that Gabriel cared about his family, even if he didn't always show it. Whatever else his brother was and whatever else his brother had done, the young coyote would not forget who had taken care of his sister and him when his mother disappeared. Nevertheless, he did not really feel as if Gabriel cared so much as to not discipline those within Inferni. After all, he had watched as Andrezej was banished, though now that he thought about it, Arkham didn't really think such a banishment would help when and if his full-blooded brother caused trouble elsewhere. It was perhaps a curse that Inferni was so inter-related. If Andre killed someone, even if wasn't a member of Inferni, Arkham imagined that others would still blame the family. The cult of Lykoi remained infamous.

sharksThe cloaked canine said nothing though, half-thinking that such an argument would reveal too much about his alliances and half-thinking that it wouldn't really change much. He imagined that older folk were more immutable in their ways and their logic. Or maybe he was more biased than he'd like to admit, even as he tried to see both sides of things. Who knows, he conceded, Maybe things will change eventually.

sharksIt might have been good that Arkham didn't know that Inferni had had a period of relative peace under the leadership of Kidorah and for a time, Segodi. That peace had only been achieved when power had shifted from his family was too simple and seemed to force the conclusion that the Lykois were the source of all the conflict. But then again, those were the things he was already looking into.

[/html]
[html]

Works for me. If you want me to not have Skoll mention Segodi (ie you seriously didn't want him to know) then tell me and I'll edit that part out!

"Maybe," the larger wolf intoned. "I know that I hadn't heard of too many problems with Inferni before the coyote queen returned. The leader before her, Segodi, seemed to be alright." Dusting himself off, he rose to his feet, deciding it was about time to head back. "But that doesn't help anyone right now, save as a vision of hope for the future. The chokehold of the Lykois on power there hasn't always been, and may not always be. It's possible that the current policy of the packs will keep alive until the power shifts again."

He would be interested to know who exactly this was, as there were conflicting pieces of evidence. His guess would place this person as a wolf from the old Jaded Shadows, but he felt like he was probably missing a few bits of crucial information, sufficient to deter him from reaching a conclusion. It didn't matter much...he knew one thing, it wasn't one of the crazier members of Inferni, since those types wouldn't have been able to carry on such a conversation without letting their fangs and claws speak for them.

"I'm heading back home, I wish you a good day, Kharma." With that, he set off, his curiosity about the blade gradually becoming an irresistible itch in his mind the further away he became. He knew he would take it out for study again before he got to Shadowed Sun.

[/html]