[ro] flame reduced to ash
[html]

(1092)

Eris is by Savannah!

The shadow-furred woman sat shivering in her hole. Underground, at least she could drown out the world. Underground, at least no one could come and bother her. The hybrid rolled over and glowered at the dirt wall. It was dim and she could hardly see it, but she glowered all the same through half-lidded chartreuse eyes. They burned with hate. She had heard the cry of ritual and she'd ignored it -- no blood sacrifice could quench the fire burning in her belly.

The sable-furred hybrid rolled back around and peered toward the light, squinting as her eyes adjusted. She could see the sun, streaming down merrily into the open roof of her ruins. The coywolf shivered again and bared her teeth, shutting her eyes against the glinting brightness of the outside world. Her stomach growled with hunger, but she ignored it. Her throat burned with dryness and thirsted for a drink, but she steadfastly refused to quench it.

While Eris had always been a thickly-built canine, the weight had started to slide from her since her demotion. Though it had not been more than two weeks, the dark-furred hybrid already appeared half-skeletal in comparison to her former figure, burly and curvaceous. She slung an arm over her eyes to block the light and burrowed into the earth, trying to ignore the pangs of want in her body and the hurt rage in her chest.

Miss Eris? a voice called out, faint. Eris did not lift her head. Miss Eris? the voice called out again, more insistent.

Go away, she murmured. Go away, go away, go away.

Suddenly, there was less light in her den. The hybrid lifted her head and saw a shadow blocking the entrance, hunkering down over the hole that served as her door. The coal-furred woman bared her teeth and made to barrel out of the underground part of her home. She made to attack this trespasser, as-yet-unknown, with tooth and claw and all the burning hatred in her belly.

But she only made it halfway out before collapsing under the weakness of her own body, even losing her grip on consciousness for half a moment. When she opened her eyes, Draugr was hunkered down with a look of concern written across her face, her pale purple eyes averted from Eris's own chartreuse-fire gaze. I am still The Crone, she croaked, swinging an arm. Her fist smashed against the wolfdog's arm, but Draugr did not flinch, and seemed not to even feel the blow. Get out, she tried to roar, and again her voice came in a croak.

Draugr pursed her lips and laid her ears flat against her head in apology, ducking her head low. I beg forgiveness for trespassing, miss Eris, she said, setting down a waterskin and a haunch of deer. But I came to serve you, she said, leaning down to help the coal-furred woman up despite her protests. Mama Siv said you'd need help. She gestured to the waterskin and the food. You are still The Crone, the wolfdog confirmed. Do you want me to make a fire?

Eris managed to get halfway upright and even made to stand before collapsing back against the stone wall of her ruins, glowering at Draugr through slitted eyes. The scent of food was in her nose, however, and she reached out and snatched up the haunch of meat greedily, sinking her teeth into it and tearing. Do whatever you want, she snapped through a mouthful of food. She swallowed noisily and glared at the drab-furred wolfdog. Leave, stay, make a fire. I don't care.

Wordlessly, the Associate turned and rummaged in the dark woman's lean-to, bringing out a log and some kindling. When the fire was beginning to burn and Eris's stomach was full, the wolfdog sat down on one of the small, rounded stones surrounding the fire and smiled toward the former Auxiliary, though her pale eyes were carefully averted. Eris snatched up the skin and tossed her head back, drinking deeply.

Gasping with the shock of fiery liquor rather than water, the dark-furred hybrid set the skin down and licked her lips, looking at Draugr warily. What do you want from me? I don't get gifts anymore unless someone wants something. Her voice was still half a growl, but she was at least speaking to the drab-hued Associate with a mote more kindness than she had previously.

To serve, the drab-furred wolfdog repeated. This time, she offered a smile to the coal-furred woman. There are those within Salsola who still believe in Eris Eternity's power, she said more quietly, leaning forward as if to share a secret with the dark-hued Crone.

Eris's yellow-green eyes stared at the younger canine for a long moment before she leaned back with the skin again, drinking it more properly this time -- small sips rather than big gulps. She looked away. Did your mother send you here as a cruel joke? Eris would not allow her fellow Salsolians to mock her with false gifts and fake friendships. Draugr had always served well while the dark-hued woman was leader, but never personally: why now, when she was lower in rank? Even dim Eris would puzzle that one out.

The wolfdog shook her head and smiled patiently. There are some who may even say Eris Eternity should still sit where Salvia now sits, she said, her voice lower than even a whisper. They say Salvia is almost a man herself, and Salsola is a place of women, not to be ruled by the likes of men. Draugr's smile was girlish and bright, but her eyes sparkled with something Eris did not recognize. This last gave her pause, and she stared at the girl while she sipped at the alcohol again.

Finally, she grunted. And I am to believe Siv is just such a person saying these awful things. Her voice was sour, begrudging -- half-believing, if that.

Draugr now seemed genuinely amused, and she smiled toothily. No, my lovely miss Eris. Mama Siv would not say such things. If one says those things, why, she said, leaning back and lifting a hand to her mouth in shock. She leaned forward again to speak, drawing her muzzle almost at a level with the dark Crone's ear. Someone saying those things would almost be saying no man is fit to rule Salsola.

<style>
@import url('http://sleepyglow.net/rp/post.css');
</style>[/html]