Mirror Images
[html]

OoC: Gah, so bored that I started this x<

IC:
What the hell was she doing? It wasn’t like she was hunting or scouting or doing anything else that was somewhat helpful, she was just wandering around. Garnet shrugged, she supposed that was pretty normal anyway, she had only seen a few of the Inferni members and she had been there for a few days already, almost a whole week. It was a couple days after her ‘interesting’ experience with Firefly, and she had been wandering around for the last few days. It was normal for coyotes to wander, being mostly solitary anyway, but still. What was the point of a coyote clan if nobody acted like they were in a pack?

Huffing, the dark female climbed up the side of a large hill, or maybe it was a small mountain. Anyway, Garnet was found walking through the Halcyon Mountain range, just for the hell of it. She paused briefly when she heard the sounds of some small mammal disturbing the rocks, but Garnet carried on after it had stopped. Probably some mouse or whatever was living up in the mountains. Garnet stopped again when she came across a puddle on a slightly flat-ish area. After her climb, the black coyote was glad for some water and lapped at the collected rain water.

[/html]
[html]

His discussion with the strange warrior had been a deeply troubling one. He was shaken to his core, so many he had valued were now gone...Jantus had also certainly sent a messenger to find him, but such a messenger had never arrived, meaning that Asmodai and his partner must have intercepted them. He knew it wasn't fair to the rest of the members of Snow-Capped Pine, but he dearly hoped it wasn't someone he'd known from the war.

As he walked further and further along the mountain side, he saw a familiar form taking a drink from a small body of the water which had somehow found a flat surface on the cliff. Asphyxia! He rushed out to meet her, but was brought up short as her scent hit him, and the difference in features struck him also. He slowed from his run down to a halt a few paces away. It looked so much like her, but...it wasn't. Like a time well or something, the girl before him was just like his dear Asphyxia, only much younger.

"My apologies, miss," he said, knowing that seeing someone as large as himself, as scarred and severe-looking as himself, and armed to boot, had to be a shocking experience.

~The lyrics are from the best song ever written.
[/html]
[html]

OoC:

IC:
The water in the puddle was a bit dusty, but it was also cool and that was refreshing. The overcast had prevented the sun from turning it hot and icky. She sighed, and looked around, red eyes scanning the mountain side. That was when she noticed the biggest damned wolf she had ever seen running towards her. Startled, Garnet scrambled sideways and turned to face the mysterious figure. It hadn’t been her imagination, this bronze wolf was huge not-to-mention absolutely covered in scars. To say the least, he was intimidating and she was scared out of her mind. Asphyxia had taught her a few moves for self-defense, but Garnet seriously doubted that anything could save her from this male. As he halted not far away, she cast a quick glance over her shoulder, wondering if she had a better chance of out-running him back to Inferni.

Her ears pricked as he spoke; his words were polite and Garnet wondered if maybe he hadn’t been planning to attack her. She couldn’t pick out any sighs of hostility, and the black female let her fur lay a bit more flat, because when she had startled she hadn’t noticed it had caused her top puff up. Garnet also relaxed her muscles slightly and tried to clam her madly beating heart. ’Don’t let all your guard down, he could still attack.’ Her biggest fear was that this male was from Dahlia de Mai, though he didn’t smell much like Firefly. Oh well. ”You scared the hell out of me! I could’ve sworn you were going to fucking kill my ass right here. What do you want?” Garnet wasn’t exactly concerned about being too polite, but then, she didn’t want him to change his mind.

[/html]
[html]

"Sorry about that. I mistook you for someone else, and got ahead of myself. I didn't mean to frighten you." He really was much larger than her, and he felt like a bully for having put her into the position she was now recovering from. Especially with the situation between coyotes and wolves right now, he knew it was an inexcusable mistake. Hell, she might even have heard of him for all of Fatin and Gabriel's propaganda, in which case she may have been even more terrified.

"As for what I want...nothing. This was just an unfortunate accident on my part." He should probably extricate himself from this situation as soon as possible. But she looked so much like Asphyxia. Was this one of the children she'd spoken of? Curiosity flowered in his thoughts, but that had to take a backseat to their secret, to Asphyxia's safety. His lover had told him that her children were still possessed of a strong anti-wolf mindset, and so giving her away to this one might well spell trouble for the black lady, and that was the very last thing Skoll wanted.

[/html]
[html]

OoC:

IC:
Garnet had clamed down for the most part by this point, though she was still slightly shaken. You don’t exactly recover from being startled that badly very fast. As the male before her apologized again and gave a reason for his actions, she couldn’t help but perk her ears. It didn’t take Garnet too long to guess who she could easily be mistaken for. ”Who are you anyway? How do you know Asphyxia?” If she was right, her statement would make sense to this bronze wolf. If not, then Garnet only looked slightly foolish.

Garnet wondered how this wolf could possibly know her mother anyway. So far, from what she had seen, wolves and coyotes didn’t exactly get along very well. Maybe they were all just getting ahead of themselves? Each side seemed to have some sort of bad reputation with the other; a few bad individuals had damned the whole species. Garnet rolled back her shoulders and winced slightly as she felt the fading bruise she had received from her own bad encounter with a wolf. Maybe some of the rumors were properly justified after all.

[/html]
[html]

Having collected himself from his past mistake, he was sure not to give himself away at the mention of Asphyxia's name. Looking at the girl quizzically, the large male tilted his one-eared head, scars warping with the curious expression.

"Asphyxia?" he replied, not wanting to lie, but knowing that her survival could very well depend on it. Even if this was her daughter, blurting out something that dangerous to the wrong coyote could get Asphyxia evicted from her home, or worse. He managed to conceal his enjoyment at meeting Asphyxia's daughter, he could definitely see why others in the past might have mistaken her just as he had.

"The person I was referring to I met in my travels, hence my obvious excitement, not expecting to see them in the Souls' lands. Turns out I was wrong to get my hopes up, though I'm pleased to make your acquaintance, provided my race isn't overtly offensive to you." Skoll didn't lie often, but between his theatrical experience telling stories and self-discipline, he could avoid giving himself away.

[/html]
[html]

OoC:

IC:
Garnet watched the male closely, seeing how he reacted to the name. However, his mask was too good for her to see through, and thus his confusion seemed genuine enough for her. Frustrated that she had been wrong, the black female huffed furiously and did any angry little jig. She felt powerless again, just like she had when she had met Hybrid. Her opponents always seemed to be holding all of the cards; Garnet was at a ridiculous disadvantage. She turned her red eyes on the male as he explained his previous actions, and she snorted at his last statement.

”As long as you aren’t trying to kill me or are from Dahlia de Mai, I don’t have a problem with you being wolf.” Garnet found it interesting to talk to this huge and yet polite male. He had a certain, I dunno, nobleness or something that she had never seen in any of the coyotes she had met. The Asphyxia clone sat down, having grown tired of craning her neck up while standing. ”I got attacked once by a wolf, but then again I was ‘attacked’ once also by a coyote. I don’t have any reason to hate you; it’s not like you were directly involved.”

The female scratched at her ear with a hind foot, watching the huge male. She suddenly remembered her experience with Hybrid, whose name she didn’t really know. The black coyote tilted her head slightly as she gazed at the golden wolf. ”My name, by the way, is Garnet Mas-“ She stopped, rethinking that. Even if he didn’t personally have any sort of grudge with her, it was possible that he did with someone else with her last name. ”Well, let’s just leave it at Garnet. And I did notice you still haven’t told me who you are.”

[/html]
[html]

"Well, I seem to be making all kinds of social blunders today. My name is Skoll." He sat down himself, lowering into a position where speaking would be more comfortable. He saw a certain intensity in this girl that he hadn't seen in Asphyxia, a tough exterior which he had never seen in the mother...rather, the more he thought about it, the state he'd met her mother in seemed quite a lot like someone coming out of some kind of shell. How alike was Garnet to the Asphyxia from before? Did she have a soft core like her mother did, or was she true to her upbringing, through and through?

"I'm a wolf of Shadowed Sun, though I was probably better known as a wolf of Storm, given how long I remained there. I earned some enmity from Inferni once upon a time for interfering with an attack of theirs, so if you've heard bad things associated with that name, that's probably why." This reminded him a little of his recent conversation with the cloaked canine. It was also a very good distraction from the concerns that were building like a storm in his mind. He would need to talk to Asphyxia, and soon.

"As you can see, though, for my part, I have been attacked by all manner of things, and so hold little personal bias when it comes to race." He'd been cut up by many wolves, coyotes, dogs, hybrids of the three, a wolverine, and even a bear. He certainly wasn't making special exceptions for anyone on that extensive list.

[/html]
[html]

OoC:

IC:
Garnet nodded her head as he spoke his name, thinking back. It didn’t seem all that familiar; no one had told her to look out for him or to stay away from him, nothing like that. Well, if they had she hadn’t been listening. Shadowed Sun she had heard of, but only in passing. Apparently it was just a little bit isolated from the other packs, hadn’t caused any trouble or anything as of yet. ”You must not have that bad of a reputation; never heard of you before. But, seeing as you don’t appear to go around randomly killing coyotes or something…” Garnet scratched at her neck with her hind paw; she must have been picking up fleas and ticks from spending so much time in the forest.

At his next statement, she looked him up and down, and then put on a toothy grin. ”I suppose you are right, there. But you know, I didn’t even really notice your scars until you were standing still; at first I just couldn’t get over how big you are.” She let out a chuckle. Garnet looked back at the territories, up in the mountain she had quite a good view. Red eyes trailed back to Skoll, who at least now had a name, and she titled her head slightly. ”What are you doing up here in the mountains? I mean, you’re a bit close to Inferni. Or maybe I just have wandered farther than I thought?” Garnet looked over her shoulder at the way she had come. It was hard to tell up here, because the plains spread past the Inferni border to meet the Halcyon Mountains.

[/html]
[html]

Sorry for dallying.

"You're actually about halfway to Shadowed Sun," he said in answer to her query. "And as far as size, I guess it's a good thing you never met my friend Phoenix. He's not around here anymore, but he was larger than me by a significant margin." He wasn't complaining that she hadn't heard about him before. At least it seemed like Inferni had a short memory about such things. Then again, it might be that Gabriel knew the truth behind the lies and so had let it die, knowing that Skoll wasn't the threat to Inferni's children that he and Fatin had made the bronze wolf out to be.

"I come up here to think and survey, sometimes. It provides an excellent view, and is usually a lonely enough spot." It might not be for long, though, he mused. He had met Asphyxia up here, and now Garnet. It seemed that Inferni and Shadowed Sun members would be running to the same place to get away from the strains of their lives, which meant that eventually, a fight was likely to break out. That could definitely spell trouble for the future.

He considered asking her about the war, but he decided to bite back the question. He didn't want to know. He had more pressing matters to consider, and all of this was merely a distraction from dealing with his upcoming duel. He might not even be alive soon, or be too injured to have any impact on a conflict which Tayui wouldn't want him involved in, anyway. Best to keep his mind on his own immediate concerns.

[/html]
[html]

OoC: Sorry that I finished this so fast, but I had a feeling we were running out of things to say. Besides, the point of this was so that Garnet knows who Skoll is, for latter threads. Wink

IC:
Garnet gawked as the distance she had traveled came into light. No wonder she had been so tired, if she had walked half-way to Skoll’s pack’s territory. Then she gawked even more as she tried to image a wolf bigger than Skoll; it just didn’t seem possible. Garnet let out an impressed huff. Phoenix was an interesting name for anyone to have, though maybe not as strange as ‘Asphyxia’ or something of that nature. The black female looked around at the view again and nodded. ”True enough. I didn’t realize I had come this far, though. My mother is going to be pissed. That is, if she finds out or catches me.”

Garnet stood up and stretched out, hearing some of her bones crack as she did so. She shook herself off and looked over her shoulder, judging how long it might take her to get back. ”I should probably leave, but it was nice talking to you, Skoll. Maybe I’ll see you around?” Garnet paused long enough to allow for any last words from the large bronze male before she started off down the mountains. For her, chatting with a wolf seemed harmless enough. She didn’t yet know that some coyotes from Inferni might frown on her actions.

[/html]
[html]

It's all good.

"Maybe," he replied, watching her run off to get home. What a strange coincidence that he should be able to see Asphyxia's child despite the cultural barriers that separated him from the rest of her family. So young...he wondered if Asphyxia would have even been distinguishable from this girl if the clock were turned back and they were the same age. Alas, it was impossible for him to know, not having known her when she was so young.

I wonder if I should tell her mother, he thought to himself slyly, before turning himself to walk down into the Dampwoods. Hopefully he would find his lover down there, within the wall of trees. Despite this happy run-in, he had very ill-tidings to share with her.

[/html]