icing over a secret pain
[html]

Skye sat in the middle of the grassy clearings near the Flanders Fields, to the very north of their territory. She looked down at her stomach, uncovered entirely save for the belt on her waist that held her dagger. Her stomach wasn't showing as much as she thought it would - she was barely inebriated at all. She wondered if it was a small litter, small pups, or both - either way, she was glad that it wasn't very detectable, although someone could probably tell from the chubbiness that she had put on that was certainly not there before.

She didn't want to harm her knife that she painstakingly took care of to sharpen and keep clean - rather, she brought another one from her home, dirty and dull, to create art with. Little did she create art anymore, so she took the knife she had in her hand and began to carve intricate lines and curls into a dead log on the ground.

<style>
.wordstext p {text-indent:10px; padding:0px 5px 0px 0px; margin: 10px 0px 0px 0px;}
.wordstext {font-family:tahoma; font-size:11px; word-spacing:.5px; letter-spacing:.2pt; line-height:13pt; padding:70px 0px 10px 5px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/KKBFV.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; width:365px; text-align:justify; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

(--)

Vasiliy is by Raze!

Vasiliy trotted north, humming to himself as he went. There was a particular tune stuck in his head today, and it did not seem keen on leaving anytime soon. The dark-furred male figured he ought to enjoy it while it was there, and so this was why he was murmuring beneath his breath as he went. His dark tail swished behind him as he walked. The day was fresh and beautiful, and blessedly sunny. Vasi had grown used to the overcast and foggy skies of this place, of course, but it was a refreshing thing to see the blazing sun high in the sky.

As he was headed toward the ship, however, a scent caught in his nose. It choked the song from him and gave him pause. He considered a long moment, inhaling the familiar scent of his leader, and thinking it over. Though he'd only met Skye once, he thought it might be good to go and speak with her. Vasiliy felt at home within the pack, but he did not know his leader so well as he'd known Malenkij in Sobirat'sya. Still, he did not wish to be an intrusive presence. He dallied a moment, and then decided it was best to make himself known. If she did not want him around, she'd let him know, surely.

He found her seated on the ground, knife in hand. Allo, Skye, he said, more reserved than he usually was. I join you? he inquired, ready to beat it to the coast if she hinted he was unwelcome. Authority was somewhat frightening to Vasiliy -- even his own blood, Malenkij, had been viewed more as a leader than an uncle.

<style>
@import url('http://sleepyglow.net/rp/post.css');
</style>[/html]
[html]

It wasn't long before she could scent the scent of one of her fellow packmates on the wind. Shortly after, she saw the gray man walk to her, asking if he could join her.

"Of course, Vasiliy," she said amiably to the foreign man, not wanting to scare him away - he already seemed slightly skittish, as if he wasn't entirely comfortable with her yet. She put on a warm smile - she did not want to make her fellow d'Artisans uncomfortable, and although she was still their leader, she was also someone to be trusted for them.

She glanced down at the carving she had made in the log. It did not have a cohesive image, but rather it swirled and curved along the log, like a trail of so many ants following the trail of berries or another sweet substance. She realized that she did not know now where it began, and where it ended - but she supposed that it didn't matter much now, she thought as she lay down the knife and looked back to Vasiliy.

"How do you like d'Arte?" she asked, giving him a mischievous grin. She knew all too well how he liked it here, what with his love of the ocean and the ship and the trading trip he organized, but she did want to see for herself what he said.

<style>
.wordstext p {text-indent:10px; padding:0px 5px 0px 0px; margin: 10px 0px 0px 0px;}
.wordstext {font-family:tahoma; font-size:11px; word-spacing:.5px; letter-spacing:.2pt; line-height:13pt; padding:70px 0px 10px 5px; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/KKBFV.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; width:365px; text-align:justify; }
</style>[/html]
[html]

(--)

Vasiliy is by me!

Vasiliy had experienced only a few sorts of authority prior to Cercatori d'Arte. His uncle was a kindly sort, but neither did he tolerate any interference with the family's business. His iron-clad methods were part of the reason for Vasi's departure, even if the granite-furred hybrid himself was not consciously aware of this. The captain of the seafaring vessel had been intimidating, too -- he'd barely spoken a word to Vasi after the dusky Russian bartered passage with him. Then again -- perhaps being ignored by that man was a sign of good will, for he, too, screamed and stomped and yelled when the crew slacked. He'd even whipped an especially bad slacker.

Skye did not seem the sort to whip her packmembers, however -- she invited his company with a smile. Vasi returned it broadly, his tail sweeping a few times in thanks. He settled on the ground a few feet away and studied her with bright blue eyes. She seemed bigger than when he'd last met her, but it had been a brief meeting and he'd seen little of her since then. It was not something he would comment on, in any case. Her question was received with a mirrored grin, and he looked down, plucking at the grass absently. He separated the blades rather than plucking them, almost combing them with his fingers.

I think Cercatori great when I first join, he said. But now I find boat, and boat crew? He made a half-bark noise, unable to find the words of approval and happiness in English or Russian to describe it. You make good pack, good place for Vasiliy.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

She smiled warmly as the male visibly relaxed in response to her welcome. He sat a few feet next to her, and she sifted so that she was now sitting with her legs criss-crossed on the ground. She watched as he studied her for a moment with brilliant blue eyes, later turning to the grass to pick at the blades.

She was glad to hear that the existence of the ship that her and her pack built made the experience in d'Arte better for Vasiliy. The ship itself was incredibly useful as well - a journey that would have taken at least a month and a half on foot or by horse took only a week or so when done with the ship. They could visit Salsola, New Dawn, Vinatta, and Sangiliak within hours - and on horseback, could reach all the Southern packs just as easily. It was a prime location for the pack of the traders, and she was glad that Vasiliy had the experience and knowledge of sailing.

"I'm glad you knew so much about sailing," she said. "You make quite the good ship captain." She meant it - she could not be on every trip the pack made outside the borders, but everyone had listened to the Russian sailor on the trip, and it had gone swimmingly well. She would not be adverse to allowing him to take the role of the ship's captain whenever they went out to sea, if he wanted it.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

Vasiliy is by me!

Vasiliy beamed and visibly brightened at the praise. He thought he'd done a decent job over their sailing expedition, but it was better to have such a notion reinforced by the leader of the pack, all the same. His dark tail wagged behind him, and even the grass-combing was paused for a moment as he soaked that in. His moment of pride over, the dark-furred hybrid decided modesty and humility were the best course of speech. Vasi did not need to brag or receive praise, but it was nice all the same, and he appreciated it.

Thank you, he said. Mine family teach me all I know. I am good, but uncles sail ice seas years and years. Vasiliy have one summer as apprentice, he admitted. Still -- watching his family members and helping just a little bit had imparted quite a lot of knowledge to the granite-furred canine. I am ship captain if Cercatori need, oarsman if need, sheep man if need. Anything if need, he declared. He would be happiest working where his skills were best, but he could not refuse duties if the pack deemed them necessary.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

She was glad to see the Russo man light up at her praise - it was not given lightly, and she felt that he deserved every word of it. She listened as he gave his anecdote of his family - the ice seas. She had not yet had the chance to try out the ship against cold water with ice, and harsher currents, but she supposed that that could come in time.. she hoped that it would be tough and harsh enough to withstand it. It seemed, though, that the Russo man, although actually sailing his family's ships one summer, had experienced much under the guiding hand of his uncles.

Skye smiled at the man as he declared that he would do whatever jobs were necessary to the pack. She liked that - it was a good work ethic. Many of her members worked where their ranks were, but also dabbled in help with other things, and that was excellent; working together, helping each other, were what made a good pack great.

"Thank you, Vasiliy - it means a lot to me, and the pack as well," she said proudly.

She thought back to the expedition that had occurred - she knew in general what they had acquired and what they had given, but she had yet to hear about the details, particularly about the new packs in New Brunswick.

"On the expedition," she said, "did you learn much about the new packs? I don't know much of them," she admitted.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

(--)

Vasiliy is by me!

Vasiliy was beyond glad to hear he'd done something worthwhile for the pack. He had come here not possessing any skills but those he'd learned in his homeland, and his lack of knowledge and ability with arts had left him feeling inadequate. It was more comforting than he could put to words to hear the woman say he'd done something of merit for her and Cercatori both.

Her question was considered for a moment. He lifted one hand and scratched at his chin, claws running through the thicker, darker hair there. I meet X'yrin, alpha of Nomads Sangi'lak, he said. Even as he said her name and title, he knew he'd gotten it wrong -- there was part missing, and part of it was possibly backwards. But he could not remember precisely how the golden-hued wolf had spoken her titles, and it was the best he could do. They trade for sheep. Maybe get more trade from them, he suggested. She had seemed interested in the various livestock especially. Get big, big antlers -- moose. And pelts -- bear, cougar. Good pelts, he explained. And little carving rocks -- soft rocks, pretty.

And two other ladies -- but no pack. He frowned at the memory of both the dark-hued woman who'd given no name, and the mottled canine named Isabella. One other -- man, no pack. He say, pack up north -- no friends, no neighbors, stay away. Did not know pack's name, though, Vasi said, frowning as he remembered this. Maybe others have more time meet packs? he suggested brightly. He hadn't been the only one to take the voyage north -- perhaps still others would be able to provide her with more knowledge.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

She nodded as he began to speak of the other packs - the name X'yrin rung a bell, although Skye could not for the life of her place where she had heard it before. She thought hard about it before she recalled - Jace had told her about her. She was the former leader of Ichika no Ho-en, who Jace seemed to dislike greatly. She wondered how she could be a leader of another pack so quickly after her first one had dissipated, as if the first pack was nothing, but she held judgement for now, waiting to listen to what else Vasiliy had gathered of the other packs.

Whatever she may think of the leader of this 'nomad' pack, she could not help but give a grin of appreciation in what they traded with them. Moose antlers, bear pelts, carving rocks - all of these could prove to be very valuable to the pack if used correctly.

And a couple of loners - those could always be guaranteed when doing a trade journey. She nodded thoughtfully at Vasiliy's thoughts. "Perhaps," she said. "It's strange - there are so many new packs emerging recently. But then again, that just makes us all the more useful," she said with a mischievous spark in her eye; a tell-tale sign of the trader within her. "Our position is perfect - we can easily reach the northern packs on the boat, and the southern packs, we can simply walk to."

She then thought more about the gray man she was speaking to - she knew that he came from a family of sailors, but what did they do? Curiousity took hold of her - "Did your family trade as well?" she asked lightly. If it was a sensitive subject, however, she would stop probing.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

(--) I lost this post. ;_; Sorry if suck.

Vasiliy is by me!

Vasiliy's ears perked as Skye spoke of new packs. Cercatori d'Arte was the first pack he'd ever lived in -- Sobirat'sya was more a coalition of different groups than a true pack. Vasi owed no allegiance to any but his family, and he answered only to the Patriarch or Matriarch of the Russos. He wondered what might cause packs to rise and fall in such a manner, and realized he knew little of Cercatori's political situation. We are friendly with all packs? he inquired, cocking his head. I know only little bit about others, and nothing of what Cercatori and others do together. Or apart.

The question about his family was answered with a shake of his head. Not much. Mostly fish, he explained. On White Sea, sometimes little villages on coast. But most fishing villages, you know? No want Russo fish, catch own fish. So, we bring not-fish things to trade, always, but it was not why we sail seas. Sail for fish, not trade, he said, shrugging. Southlands better for trade. Less snow, less ice, less cold. Easier, he said, remembering the long, dusty trade routes through Europe, leading from city to city and finally to the lovely coast.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

"We are friendly with most packs," she said, musing about the pack's interactions with the other packs, tribes, and clans. "We are allied with Casa di Cavalieri.. and the rest of the southern packs, Cour des Miracles and AniWaya, we have good standings with," she said, thinking back to the lack of events in Cercatori d'Arte when the AniWayan war occurred and the recent meeting with Ulilohi when they discussed Liam and Anathema. A small surge of anger went through her at Anathema's lack of concern regarding Liam's actions, but she hid it well, only allowing a small spasm of anger to show.

"Anathema is not to be trusted," she said, "but we have no qualm with them at the moment." Although she disliked their ways, to pick a qualm with the pack who cared not what their members did may not be the best idea.. as long as they kept their members in control from now on. "We have good standings with Inferni," she said, thinking back to the gift that Myrika had so generously given the pack. She hadn't known that the clan had switched leaders until now - but perhaps that would make them less hostile towards wolves and dogs. "The same with New Dawn - one of their leaders grew up here, in fact," she said amiably.

She nodded to his stories - his family was more of a self-sustaining type than the type to trade for other things. That way of life was not bad at all - respectable, especially if one was constantly on the move, without consistent neighbors next to them. "That way of life is good, too," she said, wondering of the simplicity of it.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

(--)

Vasiliy is by me!

Just the roster of names was enough to give Vasiliy over to furious blinking, though he squinted his eyes and nodded occasionally, trying to absorb all Skye was saying. If only he had a piece of paper and something to write with, he might be able to take notes and remember it all. Of course, his notes would be near useless to anyone else -- as it was, he could only write in Russian, and his lessons had only been half-complete upon leaving Sobirat'sya. Some things he made up as he wrote, in a phonetic sort of way even a Russian might have trouble comprehending.

Whew, he said, when she was finished. So many damn packs, he said, shaking his head. When he realized he'd cursed -- however mildly -- in front of the leader, he winced. Sorry, Vasiliy added, wagging his tail in appeasement. Mine mouth no good sometimes. But -- that is so many! And not even all, he marveled, shaking his head. Is much land like this? he inquired. Perhaps this was simply the way on this continent: cluster groups of packs together on good land, leave the bad lands in between for the Loners to scavenge over.

It had been similar in his homeland -- with a key difference or two. Sobirat'sya was more community and coalition than the packs here, and loners had an advantage or two. While the great northern forest was the hunting lands claimed by Sobirat'sya, their territory was unmarked and undefended. Loners were free to take what they would of the great forest, for there was so much and so few wolves, it never made any difference in the hunting done by Sobirat'sya canines. The life of a lone wolf so far north was no easy thing, and was therefore a rare choice.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

She grinned as the man expressed his bewilderment at all the different packs. She didn't mind that he had cursed - it was true, after all. Ever since she had joined together with Shawchert to create the Artisan pack, she had noticed new packs cropping up, one after another, seemingly with no or little breaks between them. She didn't mind, though - most of the newer packs were far enough from d'Arte so that they wouldn't be a nuisance, but close enough so that they could trade and make good relations, strengthening the pack even further.

"Not at all," she said to his apology, her toothy grin still on her face. "There are a lot of packs." She then cocked her head, considering the question; she knew of Freetown, a little place run by families rather than packs. She had yet to trade with them, but she knew it would only be a matter of time before she hauled the ship down to where Freetown was to trade - they had a variety of goods not found elsewhere. But as for the further lands.. she didn't know.

"I don't know much about the lands outside of Nova Scotia," she said truthfully. "I do know of Freetown, which is a trading town not too far from here - a few hours by the ship. Perhaps we'll go some day to trade some of our wonderful goods - I'm sure they will pay handsomely," she said cheekily, knowing full well that she would try to swindle the Freetown traders into buying a chicken sooner than actually trading valuable goods.

<style>
</style>[/html]
[html]

(307) AND WITH THIS POST, I am caught up. Two nights in a row. SUP. COME AT ME BRO. ETC. Also Vasiliy you terrible potty mouth with your "damn" in front of a lady HOW DARE YOU.

Vasiliy is by me!

Vasiliy's coal-tipped ears perked at the mention of Freetown. Vasiliy had been to Lisbon, Barbados, and Freetown all in his journey to this land. All three of the previous reminded him -- in a vague way, anyway -- of the European cities. Barbados was the worst: there were a great number of European canines, sailors and captains and some imports who had settled on the island. To make things worse, there was little food on the island. Only fish was to be had by the locals, and all other meat was traded at a price Vasiliy found outrageous. Freetown was not a place he wanted to remain long, either, as it happened -- but the dusky-furred wolf would not have to stay there long, would he? The trip by boat would be much shorter than it had been on land, and even horseback would make the trek shorter.

Freetown, he repeated, stroking his chin. The subject of packs was altogether lost with this new contemplation, and Vasiliy shrugged. I go to Freetown, if want. I go there before, on way here. It was not place to live, but place to trade? Aye, good place to trade. Though he had only just returned from the northward voyage, Vasiliy enjoyed the boat and knew it was his calling and way to make himself useful amongst this pack. What else could he do? He could not create art and beautiful things -- but boating, trading? This was certainly something the Merchant could do -- and should do, as per his very title. There was an excitement about Vasiliy with mention of the trade place and thoughts of the boat, but he waited on launching into a soliloquy about his plans and hopes for such a trip. He must respect Skye's leadership; who knew when she would want to go to Freetown?

<style>
</style>[/html]